Source Code

7.7

1. Apr 7, 2011
    AAtrekker
    AAtrekker
    I loved this movie. It had so many positive qualities. The Story was most interesting, the leads were charming and very ingratiating. The story was a combination of "Groundhog Day" and the TV series "Seven Days." I found it very engrossing and was on the edge of my seat during the entire film. If I have one criticism, it is the title but it's too late for that. This film shows very clearly that you don't need profanity, excessive violence or gratuitous sex to be enjoyed. The prime ingredient is a good story. But please pay very close attention to the early dialogue; it will help you to stay focused. Please more, more, and more of this type of fun, entertaining, and satisfying film.
  2. Apr 24, 2011
    First Moon, now this? This is clearly one of the best films of 2011 so for, a for sure must see. I am beyond excited to see what Duncan Jones has in store for us next!
  3. Apr 3, 2011
    The movie was entertaining throughout the movie. This movie was a awesome sci-fi action movie that left you with an ending that had you questioning. At the end the "source code" was more then you first thought. It was interesting, and entertaining. I highly recommend to people who aren't going to a movie to tear the plot limb from limb.
  4. Apr 14, 2011
    Very complex and deep yet easy for the general public to follow and appreciate. Well worth watching at least once. Most movies of this style (inception, shutter island) are usually very difficult to watch as if you don't hear and see everything the movie tends to become very confusing very fast. But the way that Source Code plays out makes the movie very accessible and fun to watch even ifVery complex and deep yet easy for the general public to follow and appreciate. Well worth watching at least once. Most movies of this style (inception, shutter island) are usually very difficult to watch as if you don't hear and see everything the movie tends to become very confusing very fast. But the way that Source Code plays out makes the movie very accessible and fun to watch even if it isn't your type of movie. Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2011
    Source Code, a fast past and sometimes bewildering movie, it is one that everyone is familiar with, at least in part, as it seems a concoction of several other movies. However, we do not realize this until almost the end of the movie, which is where the beauty of this movie lies. The movie stars Jake Gyllenhaal, as Captain Colter Stevens, who for reasons unknown to him, and to us theSource Code, a fast past and sometimes bewildering movie, it is one that everyone is familiar with, at least in part, as it seems a concoction of several other movies. However, we do not realize this until almost the end of the movie, which is where the beauty of this movie lies. The movie stars Jake Gyllenhaal, as Captain Colter Stevens, who for reasons unknown to him, and to us the viewers, is repeatedly sent into a train that seems destined to blow up, killing everyone on board. As soon as the train blows up, he is sent back into the train by a mysterious team of military scientists to do it all over again. Before going back into the train, he is given a little more information about what his mission is. He eventually determines his mission is to find the person who is blowing up the train in order to help prevent a future bombing that will devastate the city. Meanwhile, he is unaware of how he came to be in his present situation or when it will end.
    Overall, I give this movie a 5-star rating. The computer graphics generated in this movie are of an amazingly high quality and really make the viewer feel part of the movie. I also believe the acting was extremely believable, even if the overall plot is a little flawed. Despite its flaws, the plot does keep viewers on the edge of their seat and surprised at how quickly the movie seems to go by. This is a must see movie for those who love both action and adventure.
  6. May 4, 2011
    Source Code's presence in the cinema brought me with joy and excitement, furthermore I was excited at the news that Jake Gyllenhaal and Vera Farmiga would leading the star roles, Michelle Monaghan also starred in a lead role, the tense action sequences brought me to the edge of my chair. i fell in love with storyline when it was revealed, it's one of the concept's I had been looking for!Source Code's presence in the cinema brought me with joy and excitement, furthermore I was excited at the news that Jake Gyllenhaal and Vera Farmiga would leading the star roles, Michelle Monaghan also starred in a lead role, the tense action sequences brought me to the edge of my chair. i fell in love with storyline when it was revealed, it's one of the concept's I had been looking for! This is an emotionally charged film too (while Inception, as weâ Expand
  7. May 27, 2011
    OK Captain Proice here and I am ANGRY FACE BECAUSE THE IS NO HORSES IN HORSE CODE. WHY? YOU ALL LIE TO CAPTAIN PROICE WILL GET NUKED LIKE RUSSIAN WITH SHOTGUN IN BEST GAME MODERN WARFARE 2/3
  8. Nov 13, 2011
    The movie is great and a very cool mind twisting short movie which can be enjoyed every time you watch it. I am very impressed by the story of the film. A pure mind bending movie after INCEPTION. Source Code is awesome.
  9. Dec 4, 2011
    perfect!______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  10. Aug 6, 2011
    A fantastic sci-fi film, possibly the best of the year. Thrilling, touching and with a good ending it is a must-see film for all film lovers. Probably the best film of the year.
  11. Feb 14, 2012
    From Moon to Source Code, i can honestly say that Duncan Jones future has a filmmaker is very bright, let's just hope that he can keep this up. I am very much looking towards his work in the future.
  12. Sep 12, 2011
    Buy-it - Source Code is an exhilarating, mind-bending, sci-fi thriller where Jake Gyllenhaal enters a stranger's body on a Chicago train for 8 minutes at time in an attempt to find the bomber onboard - think Groundhog Day meets Minority Report - but better!
  13. Mar 13, 2015
    I've never really been a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal films, but have to say he was very good in Source Code.

Being a massive fan of Quantum Leap, I read other reviews who said it was similar to that, so I purchased it without a doubt.

So glad I did, as its easily one of the best films I have seen in a long time.
  14. Oct 8, 2011
    One of the best movies, I've ever watched! After the movie I was amazed. I think every part of this movie is perfectly attached to each other: writing (story), casting (actors) and filming. Good job.
    The story is terrific. The way it's made is unbelievable. During the film you feel so emotional and at the same time excited!
  15. Oct 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For my money, a gripping thriller with an excellent performance from Jake Gyllenhaal - all eyes, military training and edginess. Michelle Monaghan also great, and the chemistry between the two leads kept me hanging in through all the repeats. I did find the Vera Farmiga role a bit unrealistic - lots of close-ups of facial emoting, meant to signal to the audience her inner conflict, yawn. And of course the basic sci fi premise isn't logical - but I've seen a lot worse movies in the last couple of years that pretended to be deep and significant. This movie focuses on the action and it delivers. From the opening shots it had confidence and direction - well worth to watch. Expand
  16. Apr 5, 2012
    Source Code is perfect just the way it is. It keeps you guessing, has great acting, very decently filmed, and the story completely works. I'd say its a masterpiece.
  17. Nov 14, 2011
    Well what to say about the film.In short its 1 hr 35mins of pure entertainment(its more depends on ur mental capability to absorb the movie actually).On the first go the movie did feel like Ubisoft's hit video game title "Assassins Creed" and then it takes a big leap forward.It is very hard to avoid spoilers for a movie like SOURCE CODE but 1 thing is guaranteed youll be coming back to seeWell what to say about the film.In short its 1 hr 35mins of pure entertainment(its more depends on ur mental capability to absorb the movie actually).On the first go the movie did feel like Ubisoft's hit video game title "Assassins Creed" and then it takes a big leap forward.It is very hard to avoid spoilers for a movie like SOURCE CODE but 1 thing is guaranteed youll be coming back to see this again and again.This shows the creativity of the director(very well accomplished)just BRAVO! ,While the story(i will not spoil anything here) is overwhelmingly gorgeous,its Jake Gylenhall that steals the show.He steps into the shows of main protagonists with remarkable ease.........SOURCE CODE is the winner all the way Expand
  18. Jun 23, 2012
    I loved this movie so much because it's a good start with an original idea and, in reverse of other films, managed to finish in a charming way. The direction is fantastic and the actors are great.
  19. Mar 6, 2012
    This movie is brilliant! When the end came, I got a chill over all my body in front of such awesomeness. I liked so much that I decided to review this movie and give maximum score. Awesome!
  20. Mar 12, 2012
    I could relate somewhat to Jake Gylenhalls character. I was on a 13 hour flight and I had not gotten any sleep. All I wanted was for the ride to end, but then the tone changed and took me out of my beleaguered state. I loved that there was no definitive course of action to finding the bomber. He was given too many decisions with too limited time. The backstory was even more enthralling. AsI could relate somewhat to Jake Gylenhalls character. I was on a 13 hour flight and I had not gotten any sleep. All I wanted was for the ride to end, but then the tone changed and took me out of my beleaguered state. I loved that there was no definitive course of action to finding the bomber. He was given too many decisions with too limited time. The backstory was even more enthralling. As if not apart of the world anymore, he was trying to find his purpose to going back into the source code. It was intense when he found it, I started tearing up. I connect to main characters very intensely, and I was completely satisfied with the ending. I want to know what that poem meant though. Expand
  21. Nov 18, 2012
    Absolutely amazing movie ... I watched all movies of Duncan Jones ...Moon and Whistle (Short Film) are also wonderful ... I'm looking forward to watch the other project of Duncan Jones ...
  22. Jan 25, 2015
    Super original,Filme brilhante,Dirigido brilhantemente pelo filho do brilhante músico camaleão do rock David Bowie,Duncan Jones faz um ótimo trabalho
    Jake Gyllenhall dar uma super e intensa performance nesta incrível ficção científica de ação. Michelle Monaghan é incrível neste filme aquela Morena Gostosa,Jeffrey Wright está fenomenal numa super intensa e difícil performance e Vera Farmiga é ótima também.
    Excelente Filme!!!.
  23. Jun 5, 2014
    Just something a bit different and varied, Source Code really does not fail to deliver in any way. The story is engaging, the characters, although a little cliche, each have their own personality, and overall the film is adrenaline fueled, emotional, and twists and turns throughout it's entirety. It's the kind of film that has you believe you've worked it all out, and then throws a curveJust something a bit different and varied, Source Code really does not fail to deliver in any way. The story is engaging, the characters, although a little cliche, each have their own personality, and overall the film is adrenaline fueled, emotional, and twists and turns throughout it's entirety. It's the kind of film that has you believe you've worked it all out, and then throws a curve ball, and it's fantastic.

This is highly recommended to anyone with an interest in action and thriller films, and wants something outside of the cliched and copy-pasted generic flicks we get day in, day out.
  24. Sep 11, 2014
    In my opinion one of the best movie in these years and one my favourites ever. Intriguing and deep plot, never boring and really really touching at the end. I never wrote a Metacritic review but i'm doing it now just to tell you to watch this movie.
  25. Apr 2, 2011
    The trailer makes this film look very ordinary, but very early into the actual movie, you realize something interesting is going on. Don't want to spoil anything by comparing it to other films or TV show, but the writing is terrific. The way layers of the onion are peeled back is artful and entertaining. One of the best "major" releases of the young year in my book.
  26. Apr 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dr. Sam Beckett(Scott Bakula) never overstayed his welcome. In "Quantum Leap", the great science fiction series that enjoyed an inspired four-year run on NBC in the early-nineties, the time-traveling physicist would supplant body after body like a benevolent demon, solving their dilemmas with the utmost expediency before dispossessing his hosts in a self-induced exorcism that worked like a trigger mechanism predicated on situational closure. This would prove to be beneficial for our nowhere man because sooner or later, hypothetically(Al, played by Dean Stockwell, a hologram, always kept track of Sam's departure time) the loved ones and acquaintances of the newly-consumed person would eventually discern that they were dealing with an impostor. If Sam took up full residence in one of the host bodies, this new lease on life couldn't possibly pan out due to his lack of shared histories with the people he'd be expected to be intimately familiar with. Travel-weary, from all that bouncing along his own chronological timeline, the quantum leaper yearned for a sedentary existence, but the only possible happy ending for Sam would have been for him to return as himself. To settle down as somebody else, learning the supplanted person's persona like a new language, strikes me as being a little insidious, not to mention, parasitic, and that's the nagging flaw of "Source Code", an otherwise ingenious sci-fi thriller which unfortunately, doesn't know when its time is up. Once Cpt. Colter Stevens(Jake Gyllenhaal) averts the intended expression of the secondary crisis(the bomb poised to level Chicago that never detonates), thanks to the Afghanistan veteran's time-sensitive(Sam had forty-two minutes, Colter has eight) on-the-fly detective work, his superior, Colleen Goodwin, in gratitude for the captain's hand in apprehending the perpetrator, allows the military's guinea pig to die gracefully, by giving him a chance to save the doomed train commuters with one final rewind of the source code. (In a sense, "Source Code" is like Woody Allen's "The Purple Rose of Cairo". The real Colter is in a life-support chamber, while the digital Colter, is essentially, playing a part in a movie(the source code can be read as an eight-minute action-short. In the end, like the Mia Farrow character in the Allen film, the heroine falls for the simulation.) As in Harold Ramis' "Groundhog Day", through repeated stints in the time loop, the self-actualized person accumulates information to affect a different outcome. By trial and error, Colter learns that the bomb up in the ventilation shaft comes equipped with a backup trigger, a secondary cellphone, which he defuses, therefore changing the predetermined outcome of the program's allotted eight minutes. Instead of a violent explosion, engulfing the train with an all-consuming fire, the last tick of the program's timecode corresponds to a freeze-frame where the once-victimized passengers' laughter is captured in mid-regale during the last moment of their filmic existence. Meanwhile, Colter is engaged in an petrified kiss with the woman he grows to love, Christina Warren(Michelle Monaghan), the passenger who happens to be seated across from his train compartment when the soldier leaps into the body of Sean, her teaching colleague from work. This is how "Source Code" should end: a film-within-the-film happy ending. It's "Groundhog Day" in miniature. Colter learns to live life to its fullest in eight minutes. Reality-wise, these people are all dead, but in the altered source code, the victims of the terrorist attack now get to live, not die, after their running time is up. The filmmaker ruins the poetry of the moment. But Hollywood, not known for its poetic gestures, especially within the context of a would-be blockbuster, is not going to make allowances for any art-house pretensions, so instead of going out like Anthony Doniel, last seen on the shoreline in Francois Truffaut's "Les quatre cents coupe", "Source Code" tells us that there's life beyond a pre-recording, and sadly, the freeze-frame unfreezes. That's where the film loses me. Since the soldier sends a text message to Coleen(from within the source code), it must mean that he has his own memories, not Sean's, the man he usurped. As aforementioned, Sam Beckett never overstayed his welcome. How long will it take before Christina realizes that the man she's with is not actually Sean? How will she react? Colter can't blame his unfamiliarity with the schoolteacher's life on amnesia, or else he wouldn't be cognizant of Christina. The digitalized woman seems to be in love with an amalgamation(her old feelings for Sean mixed in with Colter's heartfelt pursuance of her). How confusing for her. It's a paradox that "Source Code" may not be aware of. The filmmaker, perhaps under pressure from the studio, simply rams a happy ending down everybody's throats. Logic, be damned! Expand
  27. Aug 25, 2011
    Sorry, Italian / English mechanical. Colter Stevens: a strong consciousness noetic.

Space is said Duncan Duncan Jones - Director / limited physical space and cyber-psychology. Inside lives the man Duncan, bimodal, and sapiens. How much humanity in man Duncan? Lots and engaging, full-bodied enough to lead to reflections on the affinity homo sapiens and earth monomorphic; studies on the consequences of its applications and hyper, the state of his mental health. Sdooong!

The mirror Duncan.

The mirror reflects a self aberrated body with which we must deal in any case and is not serious business. But, attention, mental aberration is not only physical. Faced with this obvious fact, many would run like hell. Colter Stevens Jake Gyllenhaal / "he" in fact, a new body. The veteran Colter has only a moment of loss, is able to deal with new events because he is strong noetic consciousness, the mind influences matter /. This essential feature, was selected for the government program "Source Code". Deals with "the moment" not only in an objective and deterministic real-time /, but it is also fast nell'intuire who is living and crossing a boundary where the senses are those known as being restrictive.
    Listening to him, I understand that our individual history, as well as his, is full of questions, and sometimes the most trivial or insignificant, the simpler and less open-minded, become dynamite to the mind.

Two efficient micro-environments.

A train, six cars. In one of these, a man, his name is Sean Fentress, a teacher. Awakened from a deep slumber, accustomed as he is to observe, analyze and store names, faces, objects and everything else would be useful for survival, senses immediately that you are in a state of inertia that does not belong. Irascible, is on the defensive when his partner, Christina Michelle Monaghan / try to get him a ticket out of his pocket to show it to the controller.
    -Look, I see that you think you know me, but I do not know who he is. I am the captain Colter Stevens. I am a U.S. Army helicopter pilot in Afghanistan.
    It feels wrong, get off the train, you look around, observe, ask a young man with red hair where it is. - Chicago. And 'the answer. He returned to meet Christina, the train resumes its journey. He sits down, but a new image overwhelms him, his (?) Is reflected in the glass of the window as the train crosses a bridge supported by piers shod dull and expressionless. Spontaneous and immediate is the question - Have you seen yourself? - You're scaring me. And 'the response from Christina. Run away, goes to the bathroom, looks in the mirror ... not at all frightened, put your hands in your pocket sure to find an identity. He opens his wallet - SEAN Fentress - TEACHER. He starts to go away, do not understand is this strange metamorphosis. Christina joined him, in front of him, begs him to say something. - Look, I do not know who is Sean and I do not know who you are. - This is not mine, the document shows. - You will see that everything will be fine - Christina reassuring. Violent, unexpected, comes the explosion. The roar of the train derails, the shattered glass and twisted metal do not leave hope. He, the teacher Sean Fentress, is the only survivor. The awakening occurs within a capsule. Thus began the incredible journey of our veteran. There will be two characters to guide them in the Source Code, the project manager Dr. Rutledge Jeffrey Wright / Soldier of the application and technical Goodwin Vera Farmiga /.

The deaths were a tragedy that train. The Source code can ...

Ok. The journey begins when my job ends. One last thing, Don Burgess Forrest Gump - Terminator 3 / is in charge of photography, Chris Bacon Gnomeo and Juliet / it is for music, Paul Hirsch Star Wars / getting the mount. Not bad, right?
    Council to see the film, a few yawns and many moments of reflection. The director of | Moon | although they have a small budget has confirmed to be able to give intelligent emotions.

Good Clik!
  28. Jun 18, 2014
    A great movie that gets better with repeated watching! After recently seeing Edge of Tomorrow (a crappy Tom Cruise flick that stole heavily from this movie) it made me appreciate this movie even more and I felt prompted to write a review. Source Code has many nuanced aspects that you may miss on first watching. The ending is very compelling and thought provoking. I loved this movie asA great movie that gets better with repeated watching! After recently seeing Edge of Tomorrow (a crappy Tom Cruise flick that stole heavily from this movie) it made me appreciate this movie even more and I felt prompted to write a review. Source Code has many nuanced aspects that you may miss on first watching. The ending is very compelling and thought provoking. I loved this movie as much as Moon, this director's first movie. If you love S.C., see Moon also because although it was made on a low budget, it is just as brilliant! Expand
  29. Apr 1, 2011
    I jumped the train and rode it till the end. Sure the paradoxes were insurmountable but they didn't get in the way of the story. They successfully contrived a rational other than time travel and by giving us only the broad strokes I didnâ
  30. Feb 6, 2012
    I think Source Code is Inception-lite. It is an intelligent movie but doesnt test the viewer like Inception does. I also think Source Code has become the most underappreciated movie of 2011. I was blown away by the movie and it rewards repeat viewings as well. If you were intrigued by the premise of Vantage Point and wish it was done with skill, Source Code is the perfect movie for you.
  31. Apr 12, 2011
    Background and insight:

Background and insight:

Pure Science Fiction is often regarded as too complex for film audiences, which is why so often we see it mixed with other genres. Fine examples are the likes of Star Wars and The Matrix (etc), where you get action/westerns mixed with Science Fiction. I have always been a fan of science fiction films. They present a higher (usually) level of imagination than most genres. The rules are not always confined to real world, realistic events or physics. The only real limitation is the imagination of the writer. Science Fiction relies on its audience to suspend belief, which can be a step too far for some viewers, but for me this is one of the reasons I have always loved film, the chance to escape and experience things that only the silver screen can allow you to experience (in the visual sense). I really enjoy writing science fiction, but like the examples above I also tend to mix the genres and stay clear of pure science fiction. Duncan Jones on the other hand has been looked upon as being a modern day saviour of science fiction with his first film Moon. A master class of indie film making that was so well made, it was (and still is) almost impossible to figure out how it was made for a tiny budget of $5 million. But Iâ
  32. Apr 8, 2011
    Normally when movies have multiple points where they could have ended, I feel like the endings are tacked on and ruin some of the impact. But the end of this movie is so bold, challenging, and unexpected that it seems just right. It does raise a few questions, but that's part of the fun! People who are complaining about the ending are lacking in imagination. I enjoyed the experience of theNormally when movies have multiple points where they could have ended, I feel like the endings are tacked on and ruin some of the impact. But the end of this movie is so bold, challenging, and unexpected that it seems just right. It does raise a few questions, but that's part of the fun! People who are complaining about the ending are lacking in imagination. I enjoyed the experience of the film as it kept introducing new little pieces into the puzzle for the audience to try to figure out. The performances, music, and special effects were all well done. Some characters are a bit one dimensional but others you really begin to feel connected to as the story goes on. There is some violence and language but it's not overdone. The whole film is sort of like a cross between "Unstoppable" and "Inception", only it doesn't try to overwhelm your senses. It feels like the director is along with you for the story, instead of forcing it on you. Overall I think this is a well made film and one of the best I've seen in a while. And I'm usually very picky about what I like. I would recommend it to anyone. Expand
  33. Jun 23, 2014
    Fascinating and wonderful movie. An interesting idea presented here. A lot of good solid action. Well acted and a very innovative script. This is one to own!
  34. Jul 18, 2011
    This movie is the best I've seen an incredible story, this movie made â
  35. Jun 13, 2011
    I loved this movie. Jake carried the movie just fine but what I loved was that it was internally consistent. It took a premise that I didn't think could be pulled off, and they pulled it off. Wonderful
  36. Apr 21, 2011
    My kind of movie: smart, fast, extremely well-directed and acted...just a nice, tight piece of work. The kind of movie I will see twice just to catch all the interesting set-ups and nuances. A very talented director doing a complex piece of work on a very reasonable budget - definitely worth watching director Duncan Jones' career develop. Terrific score, production values andMy kind of movie: smart, fast, extremely well-directed and acted...just a nice, tight piece of work. The kind of movie I will see twice just to catch all the interesting set-ups and nuances. A very talented director doing a complex piece of work on a very reasonable budget - definitely worth watching director Duncan Jones' career develop. Terrific score, production values and cinematography. Good script. A few logic holes and some script issues later - I would never spoil anyone else's movie experience, so no specific complaints here. To sum up....okay, I kind of loved this film, noting it's not perfect. But go see it. It deserves the effort...it really does. Expand
  37. Apr 6, 2011
    It was an utter joy for me to watch. It's "Groundhog Day" meets "Minority Report", both of which are brilliant films. This is a good film, let it be said. However, the science they base this theory on is utter rubbish. But don't try to be clever or say 'Well, that's not what would happen'. If you think you're clever,sit back and instead of poking at it's plot holes, just attempt to enjoyIt was an utter joy for me to watch. It's "Groundhog Day" meets "Minority Report", both of which are brilliant films. This is a good film, let it be said. However, the science they base this theory on is utter rubbish. But don't try to be clever or say 'Well, that's not what would happen'. If you think you're clever,sit back and instead of poking at it's plot holes, just attempt to enjoy the film, which shouldn't be too difficult. Expand
  38. Apr 25, 2011
    2011 has been a crap year for movies so far, the only good movie i have seen since the green hornet is lincoln lawyer and adjustment bureau, Source code might not be for everyone, but it is the best 2011 has to offer
  39. Apr 16, 2011
    Very good movie, was entertaining and kept me in anticipation throughout the entire film. Saw it at a drive-in movie theater and was super fun! I would recommend this movie to just about anyone with half a brain; it will hold your interest.
  40. Apr 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great movie! Took my wife to see it this weekend. We actually thought that the protagonist was going to end up being the bomber =) Great writing, great acting, a solid 9/10. Expand
  41. Apr 25, 2011
    Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to the first great movie of 2011. â
  42. May 28, 2011
    I'm a sucker for thought-provoking, quasi-science-fiction, who-done-it works, and "Source Code" fulfills all those needs! The writing is wonderful, and it's well played.
  43. Jun 10, 2011
    I have been waiting a long time for a mind bending thriller and I finally found it in Source Code. Not only is it a great physiological thriller it is also one of the better ones ever made. With quotable lines, likable characters and an amazing plot that you can really get hooked into, Source Code is the greatest first quarter release I have ever seen.
  44. Mar 13, 2013
    Source Code took me by surprise. The premise of a bomb being planted somewhere and our hero having to capture the bad-guy made me expecting a sort of action movie la Die Hard but instead it offered this very deep psychological thriller that'll make you think. There is some excellent chemistry between the protagonist Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his counterpart Christina WarrenSource Code took me by surprise. The premise of a bomb being planted somewhere and our hero having to capture the bad-guy made me expecting a sort of action movie la Die Hard but instead it offered this very deep psychological thriller that'll make you think. There is some excellent chemistry between the protagonist Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his counterpart Christina Warren (Michelle Monaghan) which makes sure that the inevitable romance doesn't look awkward. Colleen Goodwin (Vera Farmiga) does an excellent job as well, playing the devil's advocate. The twist at the ending is a bit of a braintwister and far too open to interpretation and the movie would have fared better off without it if you ask me. Because of this reason alone I can't give it a 10. This is one of the most captivating thrillers I have seen in my life. Expand
  45. Aug 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this was an awesome movie. Packed full of action, romance, a bit of comedy, and a sci-fi sort of feel to it. It made you think of what you would do if you had only a small amount of time to live. It was a lot like Groundhog Day. It had the same sort of plot to it with the same thing happening over and over again. But this movie had it's own qualities. Like the sci-fi feel to it I brought up before, and the government conspiracy type deal. It was a bit confusing at times though and I couldn't figure out what was going on at times but you just have to be patient and you begin to follow. So in all I thought this movie was a pretty damn good movie and highly recommend it. Expand
  46. Jul 27, 2011
    One Of the best Movies of 2011 FOR SURE! I even bought it on blu-ray. The movie was just really great. not just because of the special effects and all that, but the story was good. Its basically about a soldier called "Colter Stevens" who dies during battle on a helicopter and he's not completely dead! part of his brain is still alive and the army uses him for a new project called "sourceOne Of the best Movies of 2011 FOR SURE! I even bought it on blu-ray. The movie was just really great. not just because of the special effects and all that, but the story was good. Its basically about a soldier called "Colter Stevens" who dies during battle on a helicopter and he's not completely dead! part of his brain is still alive and the army uses him for a new project called "source code". Steven's mission is to go back in time and find out who put the bomb on a train in Chicago, and find out where it is located. that's basically the story! and it has a time loop for the plot device. so he constantly goes back reliving those 8 minutes trying to find out what happened to him, and why hes there. During the time loop he falls in love with a women named Christina. and even after finishing his mission. he decides to go back into source code to try and save her! really GREAT movie. definitely its a must watch. Expand
  47. Aug 23, 2011
    Après avoir vu Inception, il est devenu difficile de sortir un film appartenant à la science-fiction aussi bon que le chef-d'oeuvre de Christopher Nolan. Même s'il ne fait pas mieux, Duncan Jones arrive à nous livrer un divertissement qui sort des "rails" battus avec ce thriller captivant de bout en bout, orchestré avec brioAprès avoir vu Inception, il est devenu difficile de sortir un film appartenant à la science-fiction aussi bon que le chef-d'oeuvre de Christopher Nolan. Même s'il ne fait pas mieux, Duncan Jones arrive à nous livrer un divertissement qui sort des "rails" battus avec ce thriller captivant de bout en bout, orchestré avec brio et mis en scène avec savoir-faire. Et même si je préfère légèrement Moon (premier film du réalisateur), Source Code, bien qu'étant un soi disant remake de Moon, reste un film intelligent, comme le cinéma nous en livre rarement. Expand
  48. Aug 24, 2011
    I rate this movie highly because it kept me interested and I am not a big fan of "flashback" or "time travel" / "time shift" type films. One of the better movies I have seen in months. Watch it if you feel like being entertained.
  49. Oct 9, 2011
    It took me a long while to convince my girlfriend to watch this film, we had seen the trailer in the cinema and she was not impressed. I too thought the film would just be something to take up time. The start to the film was slow but really set the scene for the film with great characterisation from the start. The film really got going after a slow 30 minute start but then carried on toIt took me a long while to convince my girlfriend to watch this film, we had seen the trailer in the cinema and she was not impressed. I too thought the film would just be something to take up time. The start to the film was slow but really set the scene for the film with great characterisation from the start. The film really got going after a slow 30 minute start but then carried on to keep my attention. A really good film with a great ending leaving a big smile on my face as the plot was easy to follow but made you think as well. Great film worth a watch or buy! Expand
  50. Oct 12, 2011
    Duncan Jones, son of David Bowie, has done it again. He has now created two amazing movies and this one blew me away. It has been described as the Groundhog Day of Action/Science-Fiction and I can see why people say that. I'm giving this movie a 9 out of 10 because it is near perfect, but there could have been things done to make it better. I am anticipating the next Duncan Jones movie.
  51. Apr 1, 2012
    An intriguing mystery with the scents of Groundhog Day and The Matrix. The special effects did not overshadow the plot, although some of it was hard to get my head round. Jake Gyllenhaal acts very realistically and the action was very well-paced. Surprisingly a very heart-pounding well crafted action thriller. The ending was fantastically unpredictable and I never would have known that itAn intriguing mystery with the scents of Groundhog Day and The Matrix. The special effects did not overshadow the plot, although some of it was hard to get my head round. Jake Gyllenhaal acts very realistically and the action was very well-paced. Surprisingly a very heart-pounding well crafted action thriller. The ending was fantastically unpredictable and I never would have known that it would be that beautiful. The film left on very high note. Expand
  52. Dec 4, 2011
    Source Code is a great movie that is thrilling and entertaining from beginning to end. Jake Gyllenhaal as always gives a superb acting performance but all the other characters are good acting too. The plot is top-notch with many twists and turns and the ending just blew my mind away. There are times when the movie slows down a bit but that is insignificant compared to everything else.Source Code is a great movie that is thrilling and entertaining from beginning to end. Jake Gyllenhaal as always gives a superb acting performance but all the other characters are good acting too. The plot is top-notch with many twists and turns and the ending just blew my mind away. There are times when the movie slows down a bit but that is insignificant compared to everything else. Overall the Source Code is a great movie that I'm 100% will entertain, especially those who liked Inception. Breakdown for Source Code: Presentaition: 9.7, Plot: 9.5, Acting: 9.8, Script: 9.5, Lasting Appeal: 9.5. Overall Score: 9.4 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
  53. Sep 26, 2012
    Interesting twist on what could have been a predictable plot. Nice surprises. Good tension throughout. All in all a highly entertaining suspense film. It's becoming harder and harder to find movies on this genre that are as worth the time as Source Code is.
  54. Dec 19, 2011
    Some parts of this movie may get a little confusing (especially during the middle and to the end), but that will no detract from the marvelous popcorn entertainment that is Source Code. Definitely see!
  55. Nov 18, 2011
    Certainly not bad. The movie reminds me of both Inception and Groundhog Day. The movie is generally considered as a thriller - an action movie, but there is a bit of comedy in it as well. A movie should never forget to add a few creatively hilarious lines. A movie worth saying, although the ending was a bit weird.
  56. Apr 2, 2013
    Duncan Jones directs a fast-paced and surprisingly thrilling film with Source Code, and could just be a hit with everyone.
    Jake Gyllenhaal stars as who we believe to be Sean Fentress, who has awoken aboard a train going towards downtown Chicago, but he is does not remember how he got here in the first place.
    We soon learn that he is not this train commuter at all, but he is actually a
    We soon learn that he is not this train commuter at all, but he is actually a man locked up in a time-traveling mechanism that is inside the thoughts of another man...got that?
    Basically we see him as Gyllenhaal, and he has all the memories of his actual self, Colter Stevens, but he actually appears to be this other guy to everyone else, and this is brilliantly done,through going back to the same position he was put in at the start of the film by the shady company who are using him to try and prevent a terrorist attack.
    Michelle Monaghan also stars as the woman in the seat across from Colonel Stevens, someone he doesn't know but she of course is seeing Sean Fentress which makes for very interesting chemistry and at times quite humorous dialogue.
    Gyllenhaal exceeds in his role as the double man form different realities, combining pulsating action with charm and sophistication, and carries the film exceptionally well for its attention-demanding plot.
    My one very small complaint is perhaps the too-good-to-be-true ending, which was nice to see, but could easily have been flipped on its side and demanded more, while only a small complaint, I think it is still relevant considering the excellent story.
    The ridiculousness of the plot can be overlooked in so many ways by simply enjoying the story going on in front of you, as Stevens begins to get the hang of his time jumping each time he fails and is put back in the same place, remembering occurrences that are about to happen.
    But with a gripping turn in the story, its simply brilliant to sit back and watch the drama unfold in front of you, with plenty of interesting characters who all serve a purpose to Colonel Stevens mission.
    The thrill ride of Source Code never stops and continuously takes many twists and turns that add up to one of the best films of the year, surprising, enjoyable and heaps of fun and that does put a unique rhythm on the idea of time travelling and consequences.
  57. Feb 5, 2012
    How does it all end?
    Well you should find out by watching this thrilling Sci-Fi / Mystery Film! Duncan Jones is processing his good work and I can't wait to find out his new Masterpiece.
  58. Mar 26, 2012
    The overall premise of a person being able to relive a persons last eight minutes may sound ludicrous, but the movie does a good and believable job of explaining how it is done. While the movie is science-fiction there is a level of believability to what is happening and â
  59. Jul 18, 2013
    Duncan Jones is showing he is one of the best sci-fi directors going today. Sure Source Code takes different elements from other films similar to his 2009 film Moon, but just like that film he adds a unique style that works perfectly. A
  60. Apr 4, 2011
    This is a little movie that in some ways (A list actor, big budget) acts like a big movie. But this is is not a movie focused on great effects but is instead focused on storytelling. Duncan Jones (Moon) is getting closer to his masterpiece certainly.
  61. Apr 18, 2011
    It's nice to see the Inception still has an effect on hollywood - not necessarily inspiring people (Duncan Jones was already showing his worth with Moon a few years back), but making it known that films can have fairly complicated plots and still be successful. It isn't nearly as good as Moon, but it's just great to come out of a blockbuster and have something to talk about
  62. Apr 9, 2011
    Source Code is a time traveling adventure movie with great atmosphere to see where captain must save the day that the train will explode and he comes back in 8 minutes to live. That movie is so cool and it's a lot of fun to see!
  63. Feb 16, 2013
    This is a very well made film with lots of attention to detail, everything fits and everything works pretty well. There are overtones of Groundhog Day (1993), in that a time period is repeated, but I found this one very different. Although not as good as ‘Moon’, IMO, I really liked this film and I’m glad I gave it a second look. It’s nicely paced, there’s a pretty good soundtrack, althoughThis is a very well made film with lots of attention to detail, everything fits and everything works pretty well. There are overtones of Groundhog Day (1993), in that a time period is repeated, but I found this one very different. Although not as good as ‘Moon’, IMO, I really liked this film and I’m glad I gave it a second look. It’s nicely paced, there’s a pretty good soundtrack, although it’s quite subdued and at ninety three minutes, it’s not too long. Over all, it’s a well written, nicely paced piece of science fiction with quite a nice twist at the end. Comparisons have been made with ‘Inception’ but I’m not even going to go there, they are totally different. I didn’t score it quite as highly as first time around because I felt it didn’t have quite the impact it did on the big screen. Still a very enjoyable watch though.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED My score: 8.2/10.
  64. Apr 6, 2011
    Source Code was a great movie, and for me it was the best one of the year so far. The best part of this movie is how it pays tribute to Alfred **** with the sound track and style. Acting was great, and there were a couple twists throughout that were nice. This movie is very similiar to a movie like Inception, so if you liked Inception, you will probably like this one.
  65. Aug 1, 2011
    I will be honest. when I first seen previews for this, I thought it would be a garbage picture. Turns out, I was wrong! Very fresh vision on science fiction and something different. Its good to see directors are taking on these types of movies outside of the norm. Jake Gyllenhaal surprised the heck out of me in his role in this one. He has a very large acting range, especially inI will be honest. when I first seen previews for this, I thought it would be a garbage picture. Turns out, I was wrong! Very fresh vision on science fiction and something different. Its good to see directors are taking on these types of movies outside of the norm. Jake Gyllenhaal surprised the heck out of me in his role in this one. He has a very large acting range, especially in this flick. He can be emotional, funny, charming, serious and pretty much all of the above. Well, well worth a view. What The Source Code... Its not an option. 8/10. Expand
  66. May 18, 2011
    This was a great movie with a very interesting plot, Jake Gylehaal who I've never liked as an actor delivers a great performance. His co-stars all deliver good performances.

A negative I have is the only character who is actually developed to any extent is Jakes and the big baddy has seemingly no motive for his crimes, this is still worth a watch but only as rental.
  67. USG
    Apr 8, 2011
    This movie is much more of a thinking film than many others, and in that respect I'd recommend it. The effects are well done and only add to the movie instead of distract it. Like Duncan Jones' first movie, Moon, the trailer does not give it justice. However, Moon is more complex and thought-provoking than Source Code. Both movies do create a good sensation of suspense which is what theyThis movie is much more of a thinking film than many others, and in that respect I'd recommend it. The effects are well done and only add to the movie instead of distract it. Like Duncan Jones' first movie, Moon, the trailer does not give it justice. However, Moon is more complex and thought-provoking than Source Code. Both movies do create a good sensation of suspense which is what they are designed for. The ending of Source Code ties down and clarifies everything, making a sequel impossible. The ending also by far the movie's weakest point: it's lame. The movie could have ended at other stronger moments, but it's already short. Knowledge of parallel universes will help in the understanding of the film. Expand
  68. Apr 17, 2011
    Duncan Jones go two for two with his follow-up to Moon. This is a creative film which feels like a cross between Memento, Inception and The Matrix. A tight and well-written script (save for the final five minutes) and solid performances across the board. Source Code is worth its price of admission.
  69. May 11, 2011
    I preferred this movie to Inception. Where Inception tried too hard to be confusing, this movie just tried to blow your mind. It definitely succeeded. Right when you think you have the entire movie figured out, there's a new twist added. This goes down to the last second of the movie. While it didn't have the big budget of Inception, it knew it's boundaries and stuck to them. My favoriteI preferred this movie to Inception. Where Inception tried too hard to be confusing, this movie just tried to blow your mind. It definitely succeeded. Right when you think you have the entire movie figured out, there's a new twist added. This goes down to the last second of the movie. While it didn't have the big budget of Inception, it knew it's boundaries and stuck to them. My favorite movie of the year so far. Expand
  70. Jul 19, 2011
    One of my favorite action movies this YEAR! with a great storyline, and great special effects. I can't think of a reason not to see it. Unfortunately the repetitive going back to the train so it can explode thing gets old eventually.
  71. May 13, 2011
    A mindf*ck? Inception? Source Code is confusing but exciting. It's not just about technical level, but also blend humor and drama although I admit a little bit fail. Great script, acting and direction - beware Duncan Jones will blow you away.
  72. Apr 2, 2011
    This is a very well-done film. On par with, if not better than, Moon. This director has a bright future ahead of him, and I look forward to following his work.
  73. Jun 15, 2011
    A damn fine sci-fi-action movie indeed! The trailers give you a sample but this is a film where the trailers actually don't do it many favours. Source Code certainly has influences from other movies and tv series but thats not a bad thing at all as this is a hugely entertaining movie. The film follows Captain Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhall) who is sent aboard a train which is carrying aA damn fine sci-fi-action movie indeed! The trailers give you a sample but this is a film where the trailers actually don't do it many favours. Source Code certainly has influences from other movies and tv series but thats not a bad thing at all as this is a hugely entertaining movie. The film follows Captain Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhall) who is sent aboard a train which is carrying a bomb set to detonate however he only has 8 minutes to locate the bomb and locate the individual responsible. The beginnning draws you and gets you fully engrossed. Infact, you might wonder whats going on but once the train gets blown up the first time around you'll understand things a lot better. As the film goes on it's Groundhog Day, although a much faster and action packed, meets Minority Report/The Matrix. The film does run into some confusion in parts with the whole 8 minutes and Gyllenhalls character but it doesnt spoil or overly complicate things to the extent where your left scratching your head! A twist at the end will raise a few eyebrows based on what we witnessed throughout but ultimately this is a fabulous film. In terms of storytelling its superb stuff, Jake Gyllenhall continues to get better with every performance and combined with the frantic, action packed sequences and mystery of finding out exactly whats going on you can't go wrong with Source Code! Expand
  74. Apr 5, 2011
    This movie i gave 4/5 despite morribey's butt-hurt. It had a smart idea, and the ending can be interpreted in more ways than one. Although morribey is right that the ending is somewhat lack luster you can take it how you want it, but i completely disagree that one would easily lose interest. I have adhd and i managed fine. If you are into time travel films this film is for you. It isThis movie i gave 4/5 despite morribey's butt-hurt. It had a smart idea, and the ending can be interpreted in more ways than one. Although morribey is right that the ending is somewhat lack luster you can take it how you want it, but i completely disagree that one would easily lose interest. I have adhd and i managed fine. If you are into time travel films this film is for you. It is not as good as primer, but when it comes to time travel what is? The movie is also a good date film, especially with what the choices have been like lately with bad films and piss poor remakes. Its no The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly but entertaining none the less. Expand
  75. Apr 12, 2011
    There are some movies that I see, and on my way out I will consider complaining to the staff and asking for a refund. Then I can't be bothered and end up moaning along with who ever I'm with about the time we just wasted. This isn't one of those films. I enjoyed it, and whilst it isn't perfect I would definitely watch Source Code again, and I recommend you see it when you can.

8/10 gameandmoviereviews.com
  76. Apr 17, 2011
    Good, well written film - but it didn't reach its full potential. The concept is a good one, but it doesn't materialise as good as it sounded on paper but does work well and it's high points are definitely high, but I found the sub-story a little confusing and a little hard to follow. It it wraps up well - if a little cheesily and the mystery story is good, and I felt satisfied walkingGood, well written film - but it didn't reach its full potential. The concept is a good one, but it doesn't materialise as good as it sounded on paper but does work well and it's high points are definitely high, but I found the sub-story a little confusing and a little hard to follow. It it wraps up well - if a little cheesily and the mystery story is good, and I felt satisfied walking out of the theatre. Not exactly jumping for joy screaming 'It was the best film ever' but something I can and do recommend for a fun engaging story. Expand
  77. Apr 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Based on what I've read, I don't think most people, including reviewers, understood this movie. The ending makes it clear that Gyllenhaal is spawning parallel universes when he enters the source code, that another version of him had done it before the action in the movie, and another version of him will do it again in the new universe spawned by the action at the end of the movie when he finally succeeds. The ending heavily implies that a version of him from before the movie starts had told Vera Farmiga to tell him everything's going to be alright, just as he, in the new universe, at the end of the movie, tells her to tell tell him (the injured soldier) everything will be alright. This reading of the movie clears up almost all of the inconsistencies that others have pointed out. The only one that remains for me is the Quantum Leap quandary. What happens to the guy Gyllanhaal is inhabiting in that final successful attempt, since Gyllanhaal doesn't ever leave his body. In Quantum Leap, the guy leaped into Sam's body back in the future, but when the leap was over, he returned to his original body. Here, the leap seemingly doesn't end. So what becomes of his consciousness? Is he just snuffed out? That doesn't seem very moral in a movie that ends on such an uplifting note. Still, a solid movie that mixed a variety of references (Quantum Leap, Groundhog Day, Avatar) rather well. Duncan Jones is a director to look out for. Expand
  78. Aug 28, 2011
    A+ for how it handled time and reality.
    A+ for attention to detail and reflections.
    A for the intriguing, clever, tickle me pink plot. B for the ending. A train explosion in Chicago. That's about all I can say without giving anything away. I'm partial to movies like this. Very nostalgic for me, I'm just a huge fan of sci fi and time type of movies. Love it, love it! Very Deja Vu,
    A+ for how it handled time and reality.
    A+ for attention to detail and reflections.
    A for the intriguing, clever, tickle me pink plot.
    B for the ending.

A train explosion in Chicago. That's about all I can say without giving anything away. I'm partial to movies like this. Very nostalgic for me, I'm just a huge fan of sci fi and time type of movies. Love it, love it! Very Deja Vu, Quantum Leap, the Jacket, Groundhogs Day, Unstoppable, Fringe. Woot :)
  79. Sep 18, 2011
    Duncan Jones continues to impress with his second feature. Jake Gyllenhaal, as always, is effortlessly charming, and makes the central character easy to engage with. Vera Farmiga also impresses, but Michelle Monaghan less so, as it seems like they could have cast anyone in her role. Source Code looks good and sounds good, as well as giving viewers' brains a bit of a workout before theDuncan Jones continues to impress with his second feature. Jake Gyllenhaal, as always, is effortlessly charming, and makes the central character easy to engage with. Vera Farmiga also impresses, but Michelle Monaghan less so, as it seems like they could have cast anyone in her role. Source Code looks good and sounds good, as well as giving viewers' brains a bit of a workout before the brainless blockbuster season begins in earnest. The central premise is rather clever, though the film borders on incomprehensibility in the last act. It's not quite up there with Jones' debut Moon, but Source Code is proof that he is a safe pair of hands even with larger-scale projects. Expand
  80. Jun 17, 2011
    Very inspiring idea and well executed film. It was a really interesting experience and I felt it tried to connect to Memento, although I have to admit that it doesn't come close. Yet, "Source Code" is an incredibly well done movie that anybody can enjoy.
  81. Jan 23, 2012
    Okay the movie isn't that amazing. But oh my this is good to see some sci-fi that goes further than tall blue human or spaceships. Thanks for this. You might just want to see this movie for the concept itself.
  82. Oct 13, 2011
    Real science fiction movies with meaning and ideas are my favourite movies and Source Code is well worth everyones time. The story is engaging with many twists and turns, Jake Gyllenhaal is good as the lead, and there are some interesting surprises. The movie does seem a little too familiar to other science fiction movies we have already seen but it is still a solid watch - I want moreReal science fiction movies with meaning and ideas are my favourite movies and Source Code is well worth everyones time. The story is engaging with many twists and turns, Jake Gyllenhaal is good as the lead, and there are some interesting surprises. The movie does seem a little too familiar to other science fiction movies we have already seen but it is still a solid watch - I want more movies like this. Recommended Expand
  83. Jul 23, 2011
    Source Code is a very good film. Its original, has a good story to tell and alot of scenes in the film was very cool. My only problem with the film is some scens in the film were a bit boring. I would give this film a high matinee!
  84. Jul 16, 2011
    This is a good movie. I watched it a second time just to view it knowing what I knew, and it was gold the second time. Great acting with a story that draws you in from the beginning. It was engaging with the mind and the emotions. Watch it!
  85. Aug 17, 2011
    Source Code, the second movie from Duncan Jones, the man who bought us the sleeper hit Moon in 2009, and now with an increased budget, and not to mention larger cast, he brings us this stylish and fast-paced sci fi thriller, and what a joyride it is.

The story begins with army helicopter pilot Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhaal) who was last time he remembered in Afghanistan, awakening on a commuter train bound for Chicago. He's accompanied by Christina Warren (Michelle Monaghan) but he soon discovers all is not as it seems when he finds out he's inhabiting the body of Sean Fentress, a school teacher who regularly travels this route. Before he has time to work out what's going on, the train explodes, killing him and everyone else on board. He awakens to find he is an unwilling participant in a project called 'Source Code' and that he is accessing the last eight minutes of a person's life in an alternate timeline. The operator, Captain Colleen Goodwin, explains that there has been a terrorist attack on the commuter train he was travelling on, and now he must go back again and again until he can identify the bomber and find out his next target.

But, like all good thrillers, all is not as it seems, Colter soon finds out his mission takes a very personal turn when using his eight minute windows in the alternate timeline, he begins to investigate his own life as well and how he came to be part of the Source Code project.

The movie plays something like Groundhog Day meets Inception meets Jason Bourne. Jones throws you in hard and fast, giving you little time to find yourself before you're dragged along for the ride, probably as confused as Gyllenhaal as to what's going on initially, but by the time the first act closes, you'll be hooked.

The script, from Ben Ripley, a relative newcomer whose previous credits include two films in the Species franchise, is well-constructed and rounded, each plot point is placed at the correct intervals and the script is clever, but at the same time neither does it try and intentionally confuse you for confusions sake. Ripley explores the theories of alternate timelines and quantum mechanics in small digestible bites that doesn't drag the script down with too much scientific explanation explaining the concepts behind the story.

Considering this is only Jones' second feature he knocks the ball right out of the park. With Moon, Jones was able to tell a high-tension tale with what was essentially a one-man show from Sam Rockwell, and in a way he does the same here, considering that nearly the entire film is based around the same eight minutes of time, Jones explores every angle the story can take, pushing Gyllenhaal this way and that and balancing the action inside of the Source Code machine with the character development-driven period in the 'real' world. What should also be admired is that the budget for this movie, whilst $32 million isn't high for a science-fiction movie, Jones manages to make this film look and feel like something that costs five times more. Jones is definitely a talent to watch.

Overall, Source Code is an entertaining thriller that leaves you thinkng about te aspects of it long after the credits have rolled, it will certainly be worth repeat viewings and is worth every word of praise passed its way.
  86. Jan 16, 2014
    This is second Jake Gyllenhaal in row I have watched and have come away impressed with his ability to carry a movie. The script was a well done for a sci-fi with a limited premise. Think groundhog day meets an alternate reality/time travel episode on star trek. That being said it is the human element and the characters that drive this movie vs. the sci-fi element the film is based on.This is second Jake Gyllenhaal in row I have watched and have come away impressed with his ability to carry a movie. The script was a well done for a sci-fi with a limited premise. Think groundhog day meets an alternate reality/time travel episode on star trek. That being said it is the human element and the characters that drive this movie vs. the sci-fi element the film is based on. Definitely worth the rent. Expand
  87. Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting twist of reality using technology to relive the past. This type of movie always presents idealogical meanings of life and death that will never be answered. I would recommend this movie to anyone that likes movies that present outside of the box concepts.
  88. Nov 12, 2011
    Familiar science fiction concepts are played out well in this race against the clock consciousness swapping techno-thriller. The central plot device is a new technology allowing a person's consciousness to be integrated in to the experience of someone else in their final 8 minutes of life, this is used to foil a terrorist plot to kill thousands. The protagonist Colter Stevens'Familiar science fiction concepts are played out well in this race against the clock consciousness swapping techno-thriller. The central plot device is a new technology allowing a person's consciousness to be integrated in to the experience of someone else in their final 8 minutes of life, this is used to foil a terrorist plot to kill thousands. The protagonist Colter Stevens' unwillingness and lack of choice in his role as hero, ads an extra dimension to this film that lets you take away more from it than just the concept itself which already has many interesting implications to consider. The ideas aren't new enough and the material not really original enough to be something I would call 'hard sci-fi' but it blends elements of action, thriller and science fiction very well and does no disservice to any of those genres in creating something that suspenseful, engaging and strong.

Like any good film and especially any good science fiction should, this will get you thinking and because it takes familiar elements of classic action-thrillers 'where's the bomb?', 'who's the terrorist?' and blends them with scientific and philosophical riddles; 'is consciousness physically encoded in our neurology and can we decode that and play it back as a unified experience?', 'is it right to impose suffering upon an individual if it means saving the lives of many?' - it gives you the best of both worlds. You're wearing two thinking caps with this one, internally playing your inner CIA-operative-come-detective as you try to solve the mystery before it's too late whilst also exploring the wider and more thoughtful implications that the plot's concept creates.

It does suffer from one major paradoxical flaw which is that, the ability to experience someone's last 8 minutes of life is explained as being the result of the overlap of a preserved 'afterglow' of magnetic energy within brain cells that preserve a semblance of consciousness and that the human brain uses something akin to a memory cache of 8 minutes of short term memory. Using these two ideas, a machine is created that can put an operator in to those last 8 minutes of memory, and so the hope is that those last 8 minutes will contain precious information to help uncover the identity of a dangerous terrorist known to be around the deceased individual at the time of his death. This is fine except that our hero is told to actively investigate and to do things and go places that the deceased man whose consciousness he is temporarily assuming, never did. Perhaps the 'afterglow' preserves enough of the person for them (or for Colter) to extrapolate what might have happened if in those 8 minutes, the person had done something different, like a vivd dream, but in that case the information would be more or less useless to anyone because it would just be someone's best guess, something the investigators who built the machine would have themselves anyway. If in my last 8 minutes of life I was in my home sleeping, and someone could use this device to experience those same final 8 minutes, they either couldn't wake up and walk around and go outside (because I didn't) or if they did, they'd just be imagining what was probably happening outside based on their best guess. You can't create information that isn't in the memory track of those 8 minutes.

With enough concentration, my inner nerd was able to shut up about this flaw and see the film through and it's worth it because the rewards are rich and the final denouement which so often seems an unnecessary tacked on bit of fluff, actually opens even more interesting avenues of thought and adds another layer to a film that seems simpler than it really is. It didn't warrant a higher score than an 8 for me because of the conceptual problem with the plot and because some of the characters are a bit typical but the film is impressive in its ability to pack a lot of sci-fi in to a simple passenger 57 action staple. Watch it, it's a good film.
  89. Jul 29, 2013
    I liked how 'blockbuster-action-big' this was at places, while remaining thoughtful. Very entertaining ride, with the same kind of twisty creativity that made Jones'-directed Moon a worthwhile sci fi-movie.
  90. May 6, 2012
    Source Code is not a thriller that keeps you guessing. The plot is believable and presents very few surprises. But it keeps you on the edge of your seat as you watch a man who doesn't know his own identity slowly discover the clues that reveal the truth.
  91. Aug 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Duncan Jones's follow-up film to "Moon" follows a similar path of revealing major issues of worker compensation within the frame of a story much larger in scale. Unlike similar indie directors, it appears Jones was able to handle the larger budget without problem. Expand
  92. Sep 27, 2013
    Good movie with an interesting storyline, nice cast. Do not know what else to say, definitely worth watching for everyone who likes movies with a slight touch of Sci-Fi or movies with amazing plots.
  93. Oct 18, 2014
    Source Code is a great piece of original science-fiction that has intense scenes, really good occasional violence and a strong lead performance from Jake Gyllenhall.
  94. Nov 28, 2012
    While it can't even spit in the proverbial direction of Jones' first classic "Moon," "Source Code" is still an interesting action film, making some hard-to-swallow subject matter actually comprehensible.
  95. Feb 6, 2013
    To be honest, I went into this movie not knowing a single thing at all about it. No trailers. No description. Nothing. All I knew was that it was meant to be some sort of Sci-Fi or thriller. It totally blew me away. While I did see the ending coming a mile away, it still went about it in a clever way. This is perhaps the only Jake Gyllenhaal movie I can remember liking both him and theTo be honest, I went into this movie not knowing a single thing at all about it. No trailers. No description. Nothing. All I knew was that it was meant to be some sort of Sci-Fi or thriller. It totally blew me away. While I did see the ending coming a mile away, it still went about it in a clever way. This is perhaps the only Jake Gyllenhaal movie I can remember liking both him and the movie at the same time. The acting is decent. The writing is clever (perhaps too clever at times,) and the premise is really interesting. Overall A movie that perhaps could have had a bit more time to tighten up a few minor plot holes, but I'm not sure how they would have done that without ruining it. I would really like to see this kind of movie being made again, just perhaps on a grander scale. Expand
  96. May 3, 2015
    The acting was pretty good,the story was original and interesting but,the awful CGI ruined all the explosions scenes.The end kinda ruined the movie but overall the movie was great.
  97. Apr 16, 2011
    Initially, the audience will be left thinking of this film as okay but wondering how it could possibly do anything to make itself stick in your mind. Rest assured, it does develop and proves itself to be an emotional piece of work and cleverly written.
  98. Apr 1, 2011
    Source Code is an intelligent and interesting idea that can get the viewer attached to the story, but the plot crescendos too soon, lacking an impact near the end. The movie's length is only a little more than an Hour and a Half, which just barely, surprisingly, stretches the story. Despite my complaints, Source Code is good entertainment that is worth the price of admission.
  99. Apr 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I usually don't write reviews with spoilers but the biggest distraction to this movie is its ending. You get the feeling the studio had 3 different endings to choose from, and I personally feel they chose the wrong one. While it is plausible, it still detaches you from the anchor and central premise of the movie (Jake Gyllenhaal has 8 minutes to solve a mystery though his actions can't affect the real world). There are other flaws logistically, for example, how many 8 minute sequences can occur in the real world and still leave enough time to save the future, but still I enjoyed the movie overall! Jake gave a great performance and I believed his romantic relationship and his sense of purpose and accomplishment regarding the mystery. Expand
  100. Jul 12, 2014
    Source Code is an entertaining concept thriller. It takes the whole Groundhog Day time lapse thing and constructs a new action-orientated premise out of it. Great fun all the way around.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 8, 2011
    Source Code is a formally disciplined work -- a triumph of movie syntax -- made with rhythm and pace. Jones, unlike most commercial directors, accelerates the tempo without producing visual gibberish. [11 April, 2011 p. 88]
  2. Reviewed by: Una LaMarche
    Apr 6, 2011
    The psychological payoffs outweigh any implausibilities. And what's the harm in logging off your network for a few hours to indulge in some good old-fashioned science fiction?
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Apr 3, 2011
    It is a tremendous downer when the second half of the movie shirks logic, defies its own established principles and raises more questions than it answers.