8.2

1. MarkG.
    Aug 12, 2002
    You cannot fully appreciate the rural queer experience until you have seen this film.
  2. KevinB.
    Jan 15, 2003
    The documentary showed how powerful the human spirit and love can be, and is a lesson in tolerance towards others, and how love can triumph over prejudice and injustice. It was extremely moving and a reminder of how far we have to go as a species to truly call ourselves civilized.
  3. carolinec.
    Jul 4, 2005
    I saw "Southern Comfort" on Swedish PBS and was very moved by Robert whos charisma and love impressed, inspired, and triumphed.
  4. LutherS.
    Dec 17, 2002
    Presented with dignity and understanding rarely seen in these types of documentary/exposes.
  5. Strauss
    Feb 18, 2002
    This is THE most powerful documentary I have ever seen. I saw it last night, and am still dazed. Other reviews describe its content sufficiently, but to describe its effect I can only say that I saw it last night, and am still profoundly dazed, troubled yet conforted by the power of chosen family. I wish I had known Robert.
  6. DanaK.B.
    Apr 14, 2002
    Amazing movie that deals extremely well with a subject that is too often degraded and dehumanized. Robert and his friends are portrayed as they should be: just like every last one of us is, full of hopes and dreams and doubts and fears. Don't miss this movie. You will come away a better person.
  7. RachelleA.
    Apr 14, 2002
    A very moving documentary. It brought tears to my eyes..
  8. JeanineV.
    Apr 15, 2002
    I think this would have been an OUTSTANDING film if it focused more on the human issues. As it was it was not in-depth at all. Although I sympathized with these people, I could not get inside their heads and grasp exactly what they were going through. However, I am glad that this issue has been brought into light and that Robert and Lola had a chance to tell their story of amazing love I think this would have been an OUTSTANDING film if it focused more on the human issues. As it was it was not in-depth at all. Although I sympathized with these people, I could not get inside their heads and grasp exactly what they were going through. However, I am glad that this issue has been brought into light and that Robert and Lola had a chance to tell their story of amazing love through so much adversity (whether it be man-made or biological). Expand
  9. LisaC.
    May 11, 2004
    I loved docu-drama.The first time i had seen it, it was on hbo. I get it from the library on dvd all the time. All the characters in this movie are people whom I really would like to get to know. They feel like family to me since i have watched it over 100 times. I have real pride in those who live how they want to live and i feel no one should judge anyone for it. I myself,am not a I loved docu-drama.The first time i had seen it, it was on hbo. I get it from the library on dvd all the time. All the characters in this movie are people whom I really would like to get to know. They feel like family to me since i have watched it over 100 times. I have real pride in those who live how they want to live and i feel no one should judge anyone for it. I myself,am not a transgender, but I feel for those who have had to live their lives knowing that they were born into the wrong body. Ignorant people say"if god wanted you to be a woman (or man) you should stay that way. Well, if god made us with a sickness or deformity that could be corrected by surgery, should we stay sick or deformed? I do not get how christian people can be so hypocritical. i myself am a christian and i have nothing but compassion and deep pride for all of those in this movie. I will watch it over and ove and over. i really would like to get a chance to talk to lola cola. Expand
    May 17, 2004
    Unconditional love.
  11. AdamA
    Sep 25, 2005
    This is a courageous, poignant, groundbreaking film. Through the filmmaker's lens, we see the shockingly ordinary humanity of a misunderstood and oppressed population. The film might have benefited from interviews with self-proclaimed "religious fundamentalists," whose vitriol toward simple, good-hearted folks would present an enlightening contrast.
  12. JackB.
    Nov 28, 2003
    Just saw it last night. we were both so impressed by eads upbeat, positive nature. watching his chosen family get together was nice to see as thet could easily be isolated in society as a result of their gender changes. one of the things that struck me most about the movie was, not necessarily the gender thang but how SOUTHERN they all were!
  13. NoShow
    Oct 16, 2003
    I am a gay woman and I know somewhat, what these people are going thru. However gay women has it somewhat easier in this Society. Which is sad enough. Nobody should be treated or should have to go thru what some of these people had to. I watched this film and in some parts of their lives I have had to go thru the same thing. However I know it's much harder on a Transgendered person. I am a gay woman and I know somewhat, what these people are going thru. However gay women has it somewhat easier in this Society. Which is sad enough. Nobody should be treated or should have to go thru what some of these people had to. I watched this film and in some parts of their lives I have had to go thru the same thing. However I know it's much harder on a Transgendered person. What Society forgets is that they are human too, and that we ALL have hearts, minds, and souls, just like everyone else and I Believe that Robert and Lola showed that. This is one awsome documentary. Robert and Lola showed everyone that we feel and live just as everyone else does. Thanks for bringing this subject to light and Educating Everyone. Our World needs to be educated so maybe one day we'll ALL be treated just as everyone else is. Thanks, NoShowJ!! Expand
  14. AmyL.
    Jan 29, 2004
    This is what movies should be.
  15. ToniB
    Jul 15, 2004
    A learning experience about an issue many view as taboo or unnatural. Very emotionally impacting. The loss of a remarkable person (loved by many) due to the insecurities of medical professionals (all in the name of 'business'). Words are not enough to express this amazingly powerful film. A definite must see.
  16. JasonTW
    Jul 18, 2004
    Truly inspiring...an unbelievable love story between robert and lola. best wishes to all.
  17. BarbB.
    May 22, 2005
    I was introduced to Southern Comfort in a sociology class. I absolutely fell in love with the characters. It is so comforting to know that other people have 'cultural genitals" that do not fit their actual ones. I would like to own the DVD.
  18. JackF.
    Nov 12, 2002
    Excellent!
  19. BrandonB.
    Nov 26, 2004
    This movie is just absolutely amazing. I could not help but cry. Robert Eads was just such a wonderful human being. I would recommend this movie to everyone.

Southern Comfort sent shock waves through this year's Sundance Film Festival, even though it is as much about generosity and courage and tolerance as it is about a potentially discomforting subject.
  2. Reviewed by: Sean Means
    Works so beautifully because Davis doesn't try to turn Eads and his friends into walking soapboxes for transgendered people.
  3. The film defuses all preconceptions about the ''issues'' of transsexual identity to arrive at a place of tremulous human power.