7.6

1. USG
    Nov 21, 2011
    This is a disservice to even fans of the original Speed Racer cartoon and any references (which are too many) to the original are painful. The effects are weird and unfitting and don't suit the original series.
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    A pure, technicolor spectacle that, despite its flaws, is pretty much impossible to resist. The Wachowski brothers might have their shortcomings as writers, but they always know how to make a movie that is fun to behold.
  3. May 18, 2011
    It's a (master)piece of art. Futurist art: cars, speed, 'intuition' (Bergson)...
    And it could be a perfect 'prequel' of 'The Matrix' trilogy: from the problem of Choice... to the problem of Motivation...
  4. Jan 2, 2013
    This Christmas, my brother and sister-in-law gave me a $35 gift card to Target. To date, I've spent $2.75 of it. Speed Racer on Blu-Ray at clearance price. Honestly, I saw the previews several years back and thought it looked, for lack of a better word, stupid. That's why I never bothered to see it. But after having bought it at bargain basement price and watching it, I am pleasantly surprised. My review score is 8 out of 10 simply because of length. I agree with reviewers who claim it is too long. It is. But that's the only flaw I could spot. I sit back and let myself enjoy this film for all it set out to be. From the opening sequence of brilliantly blending Speed's present with older brother Rex's past to the psychedelic special effects and standout color scheme that added to the quirkiness and hilarity of the film to the heart of the story raising family and virtues above greed and power, I loved this film. I often do not understand comparing new to old, revamp to original, which is usually where a lot of negativity creeps into reviews for films like this one. Taking the film as a standalone, it is original and full of heart, and if one allows oneself the pleasure, they can have a lot of fun watching. I thought the cast was picked well, and all played they're roles perfectly. Do yourself a favor, and go rent or buy this film for your own viewing enjoyment, or sit and watch it with the whole family. It's a crowd-pleaser for any age. Expand
  5. Jul 24, 2013
    The films suffers a lot from its feelings of fake like elements and advance technology that distinctly feels different from its television show; similar to the Star Wars prequel franchise, but despite the slightly weak and dark plot, the film works okay. The narrative and acting was subpar, but I couldn't help to admit that the racing scenes were good. Though it takes a darker turn to a cartoon that is more lighthearted, it works a little in its favor, but also works worse in its favor as well. "Speed Racer" may suffer from its narrative and usage of technology, the film has dark twists and a nice racing sequence. Expand
  6. Dec 3, 2010
    What a horrible movie! I actually watched the tv show when I was a kid, and after watching the movie, I realized that some shows are best kept in television, and not made into a movie.
  7. Oct 18, 2010
    I didn't watch the TV series when I was a little kid until fourteen years later, I have all the episodes on five discs on the Speed Racer DVD. not the movie. just the TV series. so, what about this movie?

yeah, its awesome. the cast fits perfectly, the races were top-notch, and I got to listen to that kick *** song in the ending credits and I got so thrilled! so forget about the bad
    grade the critics gave to this movie.

SPEED RACER IS SO FRICKIN AWESOME!!!!
  8. Feb 23, 2011
    I can literally find no reason to watch this terrible movie, acting is terrible, and the plot is predictable garbage, avoid at all costs, you have been warned.
  9. Aug 5, 2011
    Now while the script is not the best and it seems childish at times, there are other times when it feels intense and the racing action is really good. Also there are some good moments in the script where it manages to be funny or emotional or whatever its trying to be. It does a really good job at telling the story and sets it up really well. Now I never watched the original anime and I still thought it was pretty good. its main problem is that its not completely made for adults but its not really made for young kids either. unfortunately it doesn't fit either category. Expand
  10. Oct 12, 2012
    Do not understand why this film has been criticized so badly ... In general it is good to spend a very good time. This movie has special effects very acceptable. I recommend it.
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    Poor effects and bad acting.
  12. Jan 9, 2014
    This movie is Number 9 on my Top Ten and the only reason it is not in the Number One spot is that my tastes skew much darker--but this is just a testament to how great Speed really is. That it can warm my heart so and make me say it is my 9th best-loved film of all time, over all the movies I love--including Avatar at Number 10--is plenty of evidence of its greatness alone. None of the reasons trolls come up with to explain why this movie bombed make sense--EVERYTHING about this movie rocks! Most of all, what makes this movie great--more than the visuals and excitement--is the SUPERB writing and acting. Even people who like it will say, "Don't go to this movie expecting good writing and plot." Well, I couldn't disagree more. If you have any appreciation for good writing and a deep, satisfying story then you owe it to yourself to see this grand masterpiece! Expand
  13. Nov 15, 2013
    Speed Racer slows to a halt.
    The film has little to nothing good about it except that at times it can be entertaining. The action feels purposely bad like a 70's cartoon. The acting is poor and the overall direction of the movie is terrible. The script has redeeming qualities and seems to have attempted to be a good film, but the execution is atrocious.
  14. Jan 7, 2014
    I honestly don't see why there are so many good reviews of this. The acting was marginal at best, nothing to brag about. There was a lot of eye candy, sure, but that's more for younger kids, and every attempt it makes at a deeper level is something we have all seen before and we could all see coming.
  15. Jan 10, 2014
    Why is this movie rated so low? The Acting is quirky but good, the effects are bright and colorful and still manage a serious plot line. It's not just about the racing in this which I really like. Although the personalities of a lot of people are thin they are still fun characters. A lot about this movie is great and I would look forward to a sequel

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    This is not a film occurring in an alternate or imaginary reality; rather, it is a film of NO reality, that is, a picture that changes the rules of its universe strictly according to its creators' whims.
  2. Unlike a Pixar cartoon that embraces as wide an audience as possible, Speed Racer proudly denies entry into its ultra-bright world to all but gamers, fanboys and anime enthusiasts. Story and character are tossed aside to focus obsessively on PG-rated action and milk-guzzling heroes.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Aimed squarely at family audiences, the Wachowski Brothers' return behind the camera for the first time since the "Matrix" trilogy is a blur of video action painting and very loud sounds notable solely for its technical wizardry. In every other respect, it's pure cotton candy -- entirely non-nutritious but too sweet and pretty for young people to resist.