6.8

1. Apr 23, 2013
    Sphere is a heavily underrated science-fiction thriller. Unfortunately, it will always be known as that movie with the "horrible ending" and that's a shame because everything leading up to the ending shows quality writing, acting and film shooting the likes of which we're not seeing any more.
  2. Apr 18, 2014
    I expected a lot from this movie considering how much I loved the novel. I would've given this a 10, if I watched half of the movie only. They altered the way the ending happened. I'm not gonna spoil it but they changed it in a way that viewers who have read the novel would obviously hate the ending. A good movie nevertheless, but I'm just a little bit annoyed with the ending.
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    Strange that this movie is so down rated on IMDB and metacritic. It's really good for _my_ taste. This also shows that people have different taste in movies and taking the average of their rating is perhaps not the best measure to assess the quality of the movie. In other words, it would be a better measure to see which other movies were liked by people who liked a given movie. In technical (machine learning/statistical) terms, some kind of a clustering of movies based on an empirical similarity matrix (created by asking people's opinion) would be a more useful characterization of a given movie than just simply assigning a score to a movie. Expand

A watered-down take on the sci-fi classic "Solaris," by Stanislaw Lem, which was made into an immeasurably better film by Andrei Tarkovsky.
  2. Filled with visual potential, yet Levinson can't tap it. He's just a whole lot more comfortable trying to tame the human software than the technical hardware.
    By trying to satisfy every kind of viewer, it's possible that Sphere may end up pleasing no one.