Sphere

7.1

1. Justin
    Jul 25, 2006
    Very well done. I read the book after watching the movie, and then I watched the movie again. The only reason I'm not giving this a 10 is because the movie was not very accurate with the book. Other than that, it was good.
  2. StewartC.
    Mar 11, 2006
    at times the acting is poor but the rest of the time this is an intense thriller which is easily one of the cleverest and best sci-fi's.
  3. Apr 23, 2013
    Sphere is a heavily underrated science-fiction thriller. Unfortunately, it will always be known as that movie with the "horrible ending" and that's a shame because everything leading up to the ending shows quality writing, acting and film shooting the likes of which we're not seeing any more.
  4. RaghuM.
    Jun 6, 2005
    Whatever the critics here think, Sphere is a good film largely left to imagination. The book by Michael Crichton is even better and the film promises and delivers good acting, decent visuals and harmless scare. Excellent for Sci-Fi fans.
    May 5, 2006
    A very intriguing thriller with a great premise, even thought he execution doesn't always live up to it. It deserves much better respect than what the critics here have been giving it. It makes you wonder...is mankind ready to take on extraordinary gifts and discoveries like the sphere? Judging from world events, my answer...sadly, no. Whatever you think, though, prepare to be intrigued.
  6. Apr 18, 2014
    I expected a lot from this movie considering how much I loved the novel. I would've given this a 10, if I watched half of the movie only. They altered the way the ending happened. I'm not gonna spoil it but they changed it in a way that viewers who have read the novel would obviously hate the ending. A good movie nevertheless, but I'm just a little bit annoyed with the ending.
  7. Aug 1, 2013
    Strange that this movie is so down rated on IMDB and metacritic. It's really good for _my_ taste. This also shows that people have different taste in movies and taking the average of their rating is perhaps not the best measure to assess the quality of the movie. In other words, it would be a better measure to see which other movies were liked by people who liked a given movie. InStrange that this movie is so down rated on IMDB and metacritic. It's really good for _my_ taste. This also shows that people have different taste in movies and taking the average of their rating is perhaps not the best measure to assess the quality of the movie. In other words, it would be a better measure to see which other movies were liked by people who liked a given movie. In technical (machine learning/statistical) terms, some kind of a clustering of movies based on an empirical similarity matrix (created by asking people's opinion) would be a more useful characterization of a given movie than just simply assigning a score to a movie. Expand
  8. Feb 3, 2015
    I created a metacritic account when I saw the low score this movie received. This movie is great. Dustin Hoffman does a great job. Sheron Stone great job. Liv Schreiber great job. And Samuel L. better job. Oh, and Queen Latifah's has a small part that's just there for icing on the cake. Its also pretty terrifying. This movie touches our deepest fears about the deepest portions of ourI created a metacritic account when I saw the low score this movie received. This movie is great. Dustin Hoffman does a great job. Sheron Stone great job. Liv Schreiber great job. And Samuel L. better job. Oh, and Queen Latifah's has a small part that's just there for icing on the cake. Its also pretty terrifying. This movie touches our deepest fears about the deepest portions of our oceans and our minds. Expand

A watered-down take on the sci-fi classic "Solaris," by Stanislaw Lem, which was made into an immeasurably better film by Andrei Tarkovsky.
  2. Filled with visual potential, yet Levinson can't tap it. He's just a whole lot more comfortable trying to tame the human software than the technical hardware.
    By trying to satisfy every kind of viewer, it's possible that Sphere may end up pleasing no one.