Columbia Pictures | Release Date: May 4, 2007
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 1310 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SonicHD7May 31, 2017
Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) and M.J. (Kirsten Dunst) seem to finally be on the right track in their complicated relationship, but trouble looms for the superhero and his lover. Peter's Spider-Man suit turns black and takes control of him,Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) and M.J. (Kirsten Dunst) seem to finally be on the right track in their complicated relationship, but trouble looms for the superhero and his lover. Peter's Spider-Man suit turns black and takes control of him, not only giving Peter enhanced power but also bringing out the dark side of his personality. Peter must overcome the suit's influence as two supervillains, Sandman and Venom, rise up to destroy him and all those he holds dear. Expand
FuturedirectorMar 18, 2016
Spider-man 3 is as thrilling and full-of-heart as its predecessors (especially the interpretations are better every time), but it may leave you exhausted for the excess of characters (and, thus, villains), the choppy storytelling and theSpider-man 3 is as thrilling and full-of-heart as its predecessors (especially the interpretations are better every time), but it may leave you exhausted for the excess of characters (and, thus, villains), the choppy storytelling and the almost forcefulness-free result. Expand
MrMovieBuffMay 18, 2017
While I don't necessarily hate 'Spider-Man 3' like everybody else, it is a movie that can be summed up in a few simple words; Overcrowded, dark, exciting, messy and just overall big. Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) is still living happilyWhile I don't necessarily hate 'Spider-Man 3' like everybody else, it is a movie that can be summed up in a few simple words; Overcrowded, dark, exciting, messy and just overall big. Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) is still living happily between being the hero that is Spider-Man, while enjoying his relationship with Mary-Jane (Kirsten Dunst), now that she knows he's Spider-Man. However, his best friend, Harry (James Franco) is unhappy discovering his secret since he thinks it was Peter that deliberately killed his father. We meet a convict named Flint (Thomas Haden Church) who has recently escaped and tries his best to make his sick daughter feel better by trying to get some money any way he can. He later becomes "The Sandman" through some very strange origin. Of course, the third enemy of Peter just so happens to be Eddie Brock (Topher Grace) who also takes pictures of Spider-Man for the Daily Bugle. They become competitive in regards to who gets the staff job. Peter later becomes exposed to some strange black symbiote substance that gives him more power, but affects his personality and how he feels to his loved ones. His relationship with Mary-Jane starts fading as she accuses him of being an inattentive boyfriend, and always putting his Spider-Man duties first. Things go down quickly as well when Peter finds out that it was Flint who really killed his Uncle Ben, and that Peter becomes angry knowing that he may have killed the wrong guy before. The movie still does an impressive job with the action and the story is as tight as ever, but what makes it fall short of the first two would be the overabundance of characters and sub-plots, which does make the movie lose focus from time to time. 'Spider-Man 2' (2004) clearly set the bar so high for the franchise, that director Sam Raimi found himself becoming overworked. It is hard to make a better sequel to a great predecessor, but all in all, 'Spider-Man 3' is not a bad movie, just a rather miscalculated one. A movie that should have only at least had two villains maximum, the Venom character was shoehorned at the last minute, but the action scenes are still as spectacular as they can be. Expand
JPKMay 13, 2017
Okay
Okay
I know a lot of people hate this movie, I personally thought it was only okay, I liked the action scenes and characters a whole bunch. The Problem with Spider-Man 3 lies with its overstuffed script, and a few unnecessary moments that are really stupid. In conclusion, Spider-Man 3 is okay but quite disappointing.
FreedomFightersNov 7, 2016
Look, this tends to happen: a threequel ends up far worse than the fantastic predecessor. Blame it on sequelitis, blame it on overstuffing, blame it on standards, but regardless, threequels aren't often very good. Case in point, "Spider-ManLook, this tends to happen: a threequel ends up far worse than the fantastic predecessor. Blame it on sequelitis, blame it on overstuffing, blame it on standards, but regardless, threequels aren't often very good. Case in point, "Spider-Man 3." Sure, it's still pretty to the eyes and features some intense action, but it's clear that Sam Raimi was pushing too much into the film: too many villains, plot lines and lore contradictions, poor characterization, and...the awful dance scene. Overall, I'm very torn about what to think of "Spider-Man 3." It's not BAD, but it's not GOOD, and I honestly have no idea who to recommend this, too. I guess I can say if your curiosity is piqued, give it a go. Otherwise, just ignore it. That's the best I've got for you. Expand
MicrOxydeNov 4, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's was hard to follow after the brilliant Spiderman 2, and so Spiderman 3's negative points were exaggerated.
The movie suffers from "special" choices made by the director Sam Raimi (you know wat scene I'm talking about) and from the supervillain's origin stories that are just messy. Plus, a keen eye can unravel some pretty big plot holes (how did Sandman and Eddie knew to kidnap Mary Jane, none of them knew her or knew that she was Peter's girlfriend).
Plus, the love story between MJ and Peter is again messy and unbalanced. The character's development is (you guessed it!) messy. Harry Osborn (James Franco) goes from being a villain to being a friend to again being a villain and he finishes by dying a hero. I'm not against that kind of character but you absolutely need a spot-on development for that character.
But the movie has it's moments, the combat scenes are fantastic, seeing a supervillain team up is just plain awesome and good ol' J. Jonah Jameson (portrayed by J.K. Simmons) steals every scene is in.
In my mind, he movie is messy, but it's not as bad as people say. The negative points are compensated by the positive points and the movie is enjoyable.
bfoore90Sep 16, 2016
Look, we all get it. Spider-Man 3 is the worst of the Raime series, the movie has its faults but overall I enjoyed it. The action sequences and visual effects, including the final battle are on point and the performances of Tobey Maguire,Look, we all get it. Spider-Man 3 is the worst of the Raime series, the movie has its faults but overall I enjoyed it. The action sequences and visual effects, including the final battle are on point and the performances of Tobey Maguire, Kristen Dunst, James Franco, ect were also up to par with the first 2. The problem here is that there is just so much going on in this film, theres too many plot lines to match with too many villains. As much as this movie was had going for it, it had just as much bringing it down. First off, There was too much Too much Sandman and not enough Goblin and Venom(whose supposed to be the main villain). I know i'm in the minority here but I enjoyed Topher Grace's performance as Eddie Brock, I just felt that his adaption wasn't particularly treated fairly. I mean, we get that the character was forced onto the director by the studio but at the same time, why on earth would you so badly mistreat one of the most popular characters in Spider-Man lore? Not to mention give him maybe 5 minutes of total screen time. Overall to me, Venom felt really shoe horned into the film which was the result of Sony pushing Raimi to include him in the movie despite Raimi not wanting him to in the first place. That led to him not having enough screen time which resulted to there not being enough character depth to convincingly convey the reasons why he hated Peter/Spider-Man so much. Like i said, I didn't mind Topher's performance as Eddie Brock not being a huge muscular guy because I felt that properly represented a nemesis for Peter Parker, One that was simply like an 'evil' version of himself. Since Spider-Man 3 wrapped and Spider-Man 4 was cancelled, Spider-Man has been rebooted twice. The Amazing Spider-Man brought heart and potential with different and I thought more welcomed adaption to the character but unfortunately like Spider-Man 3, it fell victim to Sony's reach exceeding it's grasp. While time will tell if we ever get to see a proper adaption of Spider-Man, as it stands Spider-Man 3 did a fine just of wrapping up the Raimi series, Despite its faults. Expand
MasterRileyJul 20, 2016
Not nearly as good as the first two, Spider-Man 3 falls short of greatness. Its still a good movie however. It still has great action, great music, great effects, and amazing production value. The biggest problem is the crowded script, tooNot nearly as good as the first two, Spider-Man 3 falls short of greatness. Its still a good movie however. It still has great action, great music, great effects, and amazing production value. The biggest problem is the crowded script, too many unfleshed out villains, and emo Peter Parker. I prefer pizza time Peter Parker. Expand
Aaron_WassermanJun 1, 2016
I don't hate this movie as much as most people, but I don't like it. It is extremely crowded and ruins some of the great characters the trilogy was building up and gives them lazy drama to further the story. But when this movie shines, itI don't hate this movie as much as most people, but I don't like it. It is extremely crowded and ruins some of the great characters the trilogy was building up and gives them lazy drama to further the story. But when this movie shines, it really shines. Expand
KoplinsMay 9, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this movie made me want to vomit.
this was a dissapointing. i saw this movie for the first time in 2009.
The Writing SUCKED. Nothing in this movie made me smile. im glad they rebooted it. but im also sad their rebooting it again
aadityamudharApr 18, 2016
I agree with what someone of this board said... this kind of movie should be done for he broad masses or for the fan base... sadly, i feel it doesn't satisfy any of them. As a movielover, i dont need corny and cheesy dialogues, or for the fxI agree with what someone of this board said... this kind of movie should be done for he broad masses or for the fan base... sadly, i feel it doesn't satisfy any of them. As a movielover, i dont need corny and cheesy dialogues, or for the fx to overlap the stoyrline, or predictable plots (i really hate that the Sandman was the "killer" of Ben), or an overthrown of supervillains one after the another, I appreciate and I'm thankful (as a movielover) for the popcorn kind of movie -as it allows me (is it all the profits come from the tickets or also from the snacks for a movie that lasts over two hours)-, i appreciate the sometimes well executed comedy (honestly, the scene of the dancin' is, as a lack of a better word, amusing), and some action. As a fan, I hated (as much as I like Haden and Grace) the casting for the villains... why don't you make a movie about spidey and venom, the brock's approach to aunt may and the battle in the beach? Venom is really really deep and funny and cinic (please, can anyone hire Todd Mc Farlane as a writer for the next film?)why don't you make a movie about the Harry's obsession to tell the world who's Spidey, introducing Liz, Raxton and even, Norman jr.? the hatred, the complexity... Is it me or in the movie left a piece of the alien symbiote in Connor's lab? Expand
UrbanlistenerApr 17, 2016
Oh what a shame to waste such a great opportunity, such a stellar cast and such potential on an incredibly underwhelming film like this. This movie had so much going for it, the first two installments were home runs, amazing films, they hadOh what a shame to waste such a great opportunity, such a stellar cast and such potential on an incredibly underwhelming film like this. This movie had so much going for it, the first two installments were home runs, amazing films, they had everything to make a great ending to Raimi's trilogy. But Sony has a tendency to rush things with their movies and also rush directors in the wrong ways because the want more and more money. They were so concerned with making more money that they pushed the director to shovel in unnecessary sub-plots and villains that no one asked for and just discombobulated everything and ruined the movie. There is still some good about it, Tobey Maguire still nails it as Spiderman, except the dancing scene, so does the cast from the previous ones, there is great action scenes, the black Spiderman aspect is interesting but not developed enough and the sandman is a pretty good villain with a decent character development. But the Harry becoming the new goblin, the Gwen Stacy love triangle and Venom being shoehorned in with an awful casting choice for him aspects were so incredibly bad and unnecessary, they confused everything and made this potentially great film a complete mess. I give it a passing grade despite all these negative points, simply because of spiderman, the cast from the previous ones, the great action scenes it had and most of all the potential it had, the little sparkles of greatness that showed up once in a while. All of these positives made this mess worthwhile, just to see Tobey Maguire as Spiderman one last time. Expand
AaronWasserman1Apr 11, 2016
I don't hate this movie, when it came out, it was my favorite Spider-Man movie, but as time went on I realized it is very flawed. It has an overly crowded narrative and events that play out don't get the full amount of time to really makeI don't hate this movie, when it came out, it was my favorite Spider-Man movie, but as time went on I realized it is very flawed. It has an overly crowded narrative and events that play out don't get the full amount of time to really make sense, The biggest problem is this movie tried to do too much and gets a lot wrong, but... it does get a lot right, the effects are the best in any Spider-man movie, some of the best superhero fights, and some good performances and interesting ideas that don't get to play out, but are there. Expand
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
The three main recurring characters get stuck in a rut and the same can be said of the film itself in “Spider-Man 3.” After the significant improvement of the second installment over the first, new entry reps a roughly equivalent dip inThe three main recurring characters get stuck in a rut and the same can be said of the film itself in “Spider-Man 3.” After the significant improvement of the second installment over the first, new entry reps a roughly equivalent dip in quality and enjoyment, with Spidey now giving off the faint odor of running on fumes.

A sense of strain envelops the proceedings this time around. One can feel the effort required to suit up one more time, come up with fresh variations on a winning formula and inject urgency into a format that basically needs to be repeated and, due to audience expectations, can’t be toyed with or deepened very much.

Big problem with third Spideyis the script, the very same element that elevated the second yarn. Four years back, vet scenarist Alvin Sargent, with a story assist from Michael Chabon, enriched the premise from all angles — emotion, humor and villainy. This time, the magic has eluded Sargent and the Raimi brothers, director Sam and co-writer Ivan, the result being a story that would have provenmore satisfactory for a late ’60s cartoon-hero TV show than for a new-century blockbuster.

At the outset, everything is so hunky-dory that New York City looks like Pleasantville. Thanks to Spider-Man, crime is virtually non-existent, Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst) is a burgeoning musical theater star, and Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire), still studying science at college, is dorkier than ever.

But evil begins to reassert itself on several fronts. As Peter and Mary Jane gaze at the stars from their spider-web hammock overlooking the city, a modest “War of the Worlds”-like meteor crashes nearby and emits a gooey black silk that slithers and slides of its own accord.

A hard-outside/soft-inside criminal (Thomas Haden Church), who turns out to have been responsible for the murder of Peter’s beloved Uncle Ben, escapes from prison and, through a process that defies comprehension but is undeniably eye-catching, turns into a shape-changer named Sandman who can blow through the caverns of Manhattan or become a giant hulk with fearsome pummeling power.

And then there is Harry Osborn (James Franco), who, still blaming Spider-Man for the death of his father, decides to emulate the great green one by engineering a new designer Goblin outfit and flying board and taking to the skies to avenge his old man.

Peter acquires yet another adversary in the person of Eddie Brock (Topher Grace), an aggressive street photographer who vies with Peter to capture the revelatory shot that will reveal Spider-Man for who he really is, a coup that will land the winner a full-time job from editor J. Jonah Jameson (J.K. Simmons) at the Daily Bugle. The rivalry turns into outright war when Eddie morphs into one more Marvel supervillain, the fanged Venom, whose skills eerily match those of Spidey.

Early going is enlivened by a couple high-wire action sequences, a Goblin attack and especially a vertigo-inducing scene in which an out-of-control construction crane demolishes part of a nearby skyscraper, sending platinum blonde Gwen (Bryce Dallas Howard), a classmate of Peter’s, heading toward the pavement, only to be saved at the last second by guess who.

But the dramatic temperature is brought way down by Mary Jane, who’s become a real drag. Fired, in a poor scene, from her Broadway play, she pathetically begs for attention, becomes petulant when Spidey plants a public kiss on Gwen after saving her, then seeks solace from Harry.

In all his dealings with her, Peter still acts like the prim, naive high school kid he was when first seen in the series five years ago, as if he hadn’t learned anything through all his subsequent trials. Scripting of the many domestic scenes between Peter and women, specifically Mary Jane and Rosemary Harris’ Aunt May, is very dull and unimaginative.

Script’s one big idea is to have Peter/Spidey explore his “dark side,” a gambit of tiresome psychological value but with the obvious side benefits of temporarily suspending his goody two-shoes personality and giving him a new, black costume. All the ploy really amounts to is an interlude in which Peter struts around Gotham with a trendy new haircut ogling women and humiliating Mary Jane with some aggressive nightclub antics.

Given the setup, Spider-Man in the end has to contend with multiple villains in a gigantic action climax that, unfortunately, is too reminiscent of the first film’s Roosevelt Island episode thanks to the similar imperilment of Mary Jane. Still, Sandman is a strange and visually interesting baddie endowed by Church with a melancholy undercurrent.

Grace, who could plausibly have played Spider-Man himself, provides a spark with something extra as Spidey’s first major adversary his own age.

Technically, pic is fully on a par with the previous entries, which means the visual effects will have fans wide-eyed throughout.
ReelViews94Mar 23, 2016

Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
Spider-Man movie action sequences have come a long way from the first installment, when one of the big moments had Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man dashing into a burning building like some pulp serial hero from the '30s. In Spider-Man 3, theSpider-Man movie action sequences have come a long way from the first installment, when one of the big moments had Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man dashing into a burning building like some pulp serial hero from the '30s. In Spider-Man 3, the webslinger tumbles and twirls in mid-air, bouncing off walls and fragments of debris as he fights off a trio of villains. There's New Goblin (played by James Franco), the bomb-throwing son of Spider-Man's dead nemesis The Green Goblin; Sandman (Thomas Haden Church), a dense ex-con whose molecules can shift and solidify like grains of sand; and Venom (embodied by Maguire and Topher Grace), an alien symbiote that bonds to an organic host and amplifies its strengths and weaknesses. A decade ago, the Batman series ran aground while trying to stuff too many bad guys into too little plot, but Spider-Man 3 works the villains into its story well, giving each at least one boffo fight scene before bringing everyone together for a final battle royale.
There's a point to the expanded rogue's gallery too. Just as Spider-Man 2 contemplated the perpetual tug between duty and desire, part three ponders what it means to be a hero. As the movie opens, Spider-Man is wildly popular, and Maguire is happily contemplating getting engaged to his girlfriend Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst), who's about to make her Broadway debut. Then the troubles start, each tied to—or reflective of—problems Maguire and Dunst have been ignoring. In various ways, they're confronted with fractured relationships, pressing family obligations, and a crippling addiction to danger. Characters that are just like them, only a degree or two different, force them to confront whether they can be the kind of people who deserve to be cheered.

So Spider-Man 3's action is superb and its theme fairly weighty. Then why does it feel a letdown from its predecessor? Nearly all the blame rests with director Sam Raimi, who's taken the success of some light slapstick moments in Spider-Man 2 as a cue to get even sillier. The result is a handful of sequences—most notably a "Dark Tobey" routine—that send the movie into a tailspin right in the middle. Even worse are any scenes in which Maguire's friends and relations try to have An Important Conversation, and immediately stop the movie cold. Throughout this whole series, Raimi has never handled quiet human moments as well as comic book punch-ups, and in Spider-Man 3—where the subtle distinctions between characters are the whole point of the movie—Raimi can't deliver. On the ground, Spider-Man 3 is dreary. But in the air, it swings.
Batman2752Mar 16, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't kill me but I liked this movie. What I think pissed every off was just the dancing, emo Peter Parker. Now people will probably say "but it so goofy" and to that I say, so is Willem Defoe talking to himself in a mirror saying to attack the heart. Now this is not the best spider-man movie and never will be but it's not as bad as everyone says Expand
gameguardian21Mar 10, 2016
While spider man 3 isnt as good as the other two, and has peter parker dancing like a fool, and a terrible venom, I enjoyed the rest of it, and how spider man struggles with his powers.
AgentVenom117Feb 21, 2016
This is basically The Amazing Spider-Man 2 before TASM 2 it's what happens when a studio takes control away from the people making the movie and its a shame that this was the follow up to the greatest Spider-Man adaptation on film. But if youThis is basically The Amazing Spider-Man 2 before TASM 2 it's what happens when a studio takes control away from the people making the movie and its a shame that this was the follow up to the greatest Spider-Man adaptation on film. But if you want to laugh and have a good time with friends i'd say this would be a perfect film to watch in a so bad its good film party. Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 22, 2016
It's not such a bad movie and in fact not the worst movie in 2007 because I already know what movie took that spot. This third installment is not as bad as you wanted it to be.
BarneyOnMTJan 6, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The plot has more layers than other Spider Man films, plus it shakes some of the cheesier aspects of the previous ones. The acumilation of everything at the end is great too.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: All the good work with chacters
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: All the good work with chacters and relationships in Spider Man 2 is undone, and Peter seems to have gone back to his old self. It also felt like 2 films were going on at once for the most part, and some of the elements of the plot are completely ridiculous. It's great that they explored Parker's inner demons, but the black Spider-Man thing isn't neccessary and feels comical, the damsel in distress ending seems familiar as well...
VERDICT: The Spider Man universe is starting to feel very samey in tone. Raimi's Spider Man 3 is an okay film, and arguably not as bad as it's generally made out to be, but it is a bit of a mess until the end.
YellowKirbySep 27, 2015
First of all, who cares if there are too many villains? That just makes it more awesome! And although it takes a while for Venom to finally show up, it's all worth it in the end just for his very appearance in the trilogy! It was fun andFirst of all, who cares if there are too many villains? That just makes it more awesome! And although it takes a while for Venom to finally show up, it's all worth it in the end just for his very appearance in the trilogy! It was fun and action-packed, which is what we want to see in super hero movies, right? Expand
Jefferygamer200Sep 5, 2015
This film does have a few flaws, such as Topher Grace's Venom portrayal, sorta to many songs & dances, and lastly a disappointing ending. But it does have it's good moments such as, James Franco's portrayal as Harry, Cristian Hayden Church'sThis film does have a few flaws, such as Topher Grace's Venom portrayal, sorta to many songs & dances, and lastly a disappointing ending. But it does have it's good moments such as, James Franco's portrayal as Harry, Cristian Hayden Church's portrayal as the Sand Man, J.K Simmons's James Jonah Jameson performance is entertaining, and lastly the fighting is the best thing about this movie. Because the fighting is better then the first two films. I honestly sorta love this movie, due to it's awesome music, Christian Hayden Church's Sand Man portrayal, James Franco's Harry Osborn portrayal J.K Simmons's portrayal as J.Jonah Jameson , The opening of this movie showing us footage of the first 2 films before starting is pretty cool in my opinion. And lastly the fighting it's so well done and choreographed. P.S anyone that says this film is bad should watch The Amazing Spider-Man 2 then try to say that. Expand
NatT96Aug 19, 2015
Ok so this movie is my least favorite. It's plot had too much going on, humor was great, visuals were great but not memorable. This movie tried to do too much, its plot was easily guessable and it wasn't my favorite part of the movie.Ok so this movie is my least favorite. It's plot had too much going on, humor was great, visuals were great but not memorable. This movie tried to do too much, its plot was easily guessable and it wasn't my favorite part of the movie. Honestly, its not worth watching, especially the ending either. I decided to give it a 7 because Peter Parker was still Peter Parker Expand
JohnMasterLAug 7, 2015
Spider-Man 3 es decepcionante. El final de la trilogía de Sam Raimi parece una novela cursi y mediocre. La historia es confusa, demasiadas historias, demasiados villanos, demasiados personajes, hacen que esta tercera parte sea incomprensible.Spider-Man 3 es decepcionante. El final de la trilogía de Sam Raimi parece una novela cursi y mediocre. La historia es confusa, demasiadas historias, demasiados villanos, demasiados personajes, hacen que esta tercera parte sea incomprensible. Sin mencionar que Spider-Man 3 cuenta con varios momentos cursis y ridículos, la transformación de "Peter bueno a un Peter malo" deja mucho que desear, el resultado final es un Peter emo que sabe bailar y tocar el piano. Ridícula, Cursi y decepcionante. Imaginemos que esta tercera parte no existe, quedémonos solo con Spider-Man y Spider-Man 2. Expand
TheDude-Jul 21, 2015
Spiderman 3 may have great action and special effects but the film is just so flawed the amount of plot holes, unlikable characters, multitude of plot points creating an incoherent story, illogical character action and motivation, rushedSpiderman 3 may have great action and special effects but the film is just so flawed the amount of plot holes, unlikable characters, multitude of plot points creating an incoherent story, illogical character action and motivation, rushed villain origins, to many characters and villains, miscast, character arcs ruined from the second film,emo Peter and just a complete lack of any logic.
CineAutoctonoJul 21, 2015
The movie was good but a scene left me a bit bitter about how little modal and ridiculous action Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker with many egos as always but you spend too TCO than other films and could not face two enemies at once which is theThe movie was good but a scene left me a bit bitter about how little modal and ridiculous action Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker with many egos as always but you spend too TCO than other films and could not face two enemies at once which is the least important. But the good deed will always remain. Expand
ThatCooperGuyJun 25, 2015
A poor portrayal of Venom, a bland Sandman, and terrible relationship problems with Peter & MJ. Spider-Man 3 is overly stuffed and has a very sloppy story, but I think it's finally growing on me. It's so bad it's good.
Pinglu50Jun 6, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie isn't as bad as it seems, according to most of the Spider Man spectators. There were many villains in it and the plot twists during the movie don't follow a specific story-line. Despite of it, the denouement was impressive and I really appreciated it. Expand
SpiderPlayerMay 17, 2015
The film is good, but not to compare with the last two, the film has plenty of action, but has some script failures, and the relationship between Mary Jane and Peter Parker was not so good, the film has some villains and none of them was veryThe film is good, but not to compare with the last two, the film has plenty of action, but has some script failures, and the relationship between Mary Jane and Peter Parker was not so good, the film has some villains and none of them was very interesting. Expand
waronassermanMay 2, 2015
I dont hate this movie as much as most but it was a huge let down. It had so much potential to be one of the greatest movies! but its a shame it turned out how it did, still with having things to love
MovieManiac83Apr 22, 2015
The Spider-Man series, which debuted in 2002 and continued in 2004 and 2007, represents the first superhero cycle to complete a trilogy with the same primary cast and production team it had at the beginning. If nothing else, that assuresThe Spider-Man series, which debuted in 2002 and continued in 2004 and 2007, represents the first superhero cycle to complete a trilogy with the same primary cast and production team it had at the beginning. If nothing else, that assures viewers of a certain degree of continuity. However, while it could be argued that Spider-Man 2 had too little plot for its substantial running length, the opposite could be said of Spider-Man 3. It's really two movies crammed into one, the first of which is a lot better than the second. Spider-Man 3 starts out strong but before it finishes, many viewers will desperately wish it had called it quits an hour earlier.

One has to consider that the film's problems - and they are numerous - may be the product of the franchise's runaway popularity. In each of the first two films, director Sam Raimi was careful to limit the villain count to one (unless one counts Daily Bugle editor J. Jonah Jameson, brilliantly played by J.K. Simmons). Here, it triples, and the focus on the bad guys limits the amount of time we have for the soap opera that is Peter Parker's life. Expectations for this movie were sky-high and one wonders whether the pressure to fulfill them caused the director to overreach his grasp and miss the point that bigger and louder do not always equate to better.

The film's setup is effective and feels like a continuation of the previous Spider-Man stories. The most kinetic action scene is the first one, as Harry and Peter tussle through the streets of New York. Although Sandman's introduction is lame, Thomas Haden Church plays the character so movingly that might have been possible to ignore this plot device if it was the only weak one in the movie (which it isn't). The most glaring stumbling block is Venom. He's one bad guy too many. Not only is the creature poorly realized but its introduction into the story causes everything to be crowded, rushed, and overlong. Spider-Man 3 feels like it should end around the 1:40 mark, but like the Energizer Bunny on a rampage, it keeps going.

The climactic battle is a disaster. It's not exciting and it requires two contrivances too excruciating to ignore (one involves a butler that would make Alfred look dumb; the other involves Sandman's eventual fate). It's unforgivable that the film's last action scene should be so vastly inferior to the first one. The special effects aren't even all that impressive. There are several instances in which it's all-too-obvious that Spider-Man and his nemeses are computer generated. This is sloppier than anything in either Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2.

There are also unnecessary characters. I guess Gwen Stacy (Bryce Dallas Howard) has been added as a nod to comic book fans, but she serves no purpose other than to make us wonder whether Mary Jane is still an interesting character. Her father (James Cromwell) is equally underused. Bruce Campbell gets a nice extended cameo, but why do his scenes seem like Monty Python outtakes? And, as I have already mentioned, everything about Venom is a mistake. At the very least this villain deserved its own movie rather than being awkwardly shoehorned into a film that starts out being about Peter, Harry, and Sandman.

Audience reaction to the film at the midnight opening screening was negative, bordering on hostile, meaning that the core group of fans did not like what they were seeing. It's easy to understand their displeasure. Compared to the other two movies in the series, this one is a misfire. It's for completists only, and even they are likely to feel let down. Spider-Man and the first sequel were breezy adventures - easy and fun to sit through. Spider-Man 3 is a chore. The effective moments require a lot patience to uncover and some of what has to be shifted to get to them is not worth the effort. People love trilogies because it's said that good things come in threes, but this series would have looked better and felt more satisfying had the filmmakers stopped at two.
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
Compared to the first two movies, this one had a different feel. It seemed like the actors, at some points, were working the lines just a little too much. Over the top, If I may.

Despite some of the cliche lines, I did love the portrayal

Despite some of the cliche lines, I did love the portrayal of the internal battle of good vs. evil. The internal struggle is something we can all relate to and it was neat to see a superhero have some common struggles.
UltimateBubFeb 1, 2015
No, this is not a bad movie. Just a little inferior, that's all. And no, it's not the worst Spider-Man film. The big problem here was that, it tried to be the biggest film ever, and it never stood a chance. Many fans will undoubtedly beNo, this is not a bad movie. Just a little inferior, that's all. And no, it's not the worst Spider-Man film. The big problem here was that, it tried to be the biggest film ever, and it never stood a chance. Many fans will undoubtedly be disappointed with how some characters are handled: Gwen Stacy, Eddie Brock and even Peter Parker. BUT, "Spider-Man 3" remains a visual spectacle with entertaining scenes, an interesting but flawed plot and a few funny bits. Expand
BernolsvenJan 26, 2015
[Portuguese] O jeito do Homem-Aranha agir ao entrar em contato com a simbiose foi no mínimo estranho e constrangedor até pra quem ta vendo. A Gwen Stacy totalmente modificada e o Venom magrelo misturado com mais dois vilões (não precisava de[Portuguese] O jeito do Homem-Aranha agir ao entrar em contato com a simbiose foi no mínimo estranho e constrangedor até pra quem ta vendo. A Gwen Stacy totalmente modificada e o Venom magrelo misturado com mais dois vilões (não precisava de tudo isso mas ok) tornaram esse filme somente legal, e já estava na hora de acabar as sequências deste Homem-Aranha. Expand
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
It's not as good as the first two and some scenes involving the strange goth-like Peter are particularly cringe-worthy. However, it still fits in well with the series though with a decent storyline and interesting characters.
diogomendesDec 31, 2014
Despite its overstretched plot, "Spider-Man 3" is not as bad as the audience make it out to be, for the movie still dazzles when it comes to action and CGI.
jacobshoffDec 17, 2014
Wow this Spider-Man movie was so bad it ruined spider-man's name. I mean what a terrible movie. This particular Spider-Man installment is what made me turn away from spider-man. Just ruined everything i loved about my Childhood heroWow this Spider-Man movie was so bad it ruined spider-man's name. I mean what a terrible movie. This particular Spider-Man installment is what made me turn away from spider-man. Just ruined everything i loved about my Childhood hero Spider-Man. Just hate it period. Expand
JamesCannonDec 13, 2014
In the pantheon of Spider Man movies, this one often looked as being overstuffed and inferior to the previous two. I will actually take this one over any of the new Amazing Spider Mans and even maybe the first Raimi one. Sure there is theIn the pantheon of Spider Man movies, this one often looked as being overstuffed and inferior to the previous two. I will actually take this one over any of the new Amazing Spider Mans and even maybe the first Raimi one. Sure there is the whole rebellious Peter Parker that comes off a little forced, or the indestructible Harry Osbourne Jr., who can survive high falls at maximum speeds. He can even take a grenade point blank and come up with only a couple of scars on his face. That aside I liked the team up of Venom and Sandman. The ending is great and even some of the themes of forgiveness are able to hit their mark. Expand
Sonic45XNov 26, 2014
While it's not the absolute worst movie I've ever seen, this movie is so bad that i can barely call this a super hero movie, let alone a Spider-man movie. While the action is great, the characters and story freaking blow. The characters areWhile it's not the absolute worst movie I've ever seen, this movie is so bad that i can barely call this a super hero movie, let alone a Spider-man movie. While the action is great, the characters and story freaking blow. The characters are either morons or aholes. The only character I like in the film is Flint Marco AKA the Sand Man, everyone else I just wanna smack them in the face and it's story (while epic) is full of reckons and inconsistencies. Unless your completing the entire original Spider-Man collection or if your getting this movie out of curiosity, I strongly recommend you DON'T get this movie. Expand
PeterParkerNov 9, 2014
Spider-Man 3 è stato un film fantastico,magari non spettacolare come i primi due capitoli,ma un ottimo film.Un film fantastico,con la presenza di tre dei miei cattivi preferiti: Harry Osborn alias New Goblin,Flint Marko alias Uomo Sabbia eSpider-Man 3 è stato un film fantastico,magari non spettacolare come i primi due capitoli,ma un ottimo film.Un film fantastico,con la presenza di tre dei miei cattivi preferiti: Harry Osborn alias New Goblin,Flint Marko alias Uomo Sabbia e Eddie Brock alias Venom.Si vede anche Spider-Man con il costume nero che è stata un'idea utilizzata molto bene nel film.Un film che a molti non è piaciuto ma che io personalmente reputo un film stupendo. Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 22, 2014
Spider-Man 3 reunites the cast and filmmakers from the first two blockbuster adventures of a webslinger with secrets, vengeance, love, and forgiveness.
G6In3DAug 30, 2014
No, seriously. The movie actually wasn't that terrible, in my honest opinion. I recently rewatched Spider-Man 3 (4 days ago, to be accurate), and I have to say: the movie was quite underrated...I'll give the people reading this a minute or soNo, seriously. The movie actually wasn't that terrible, in my honest opinion. I recently rewatched Spider-Man 3 (4 days ago, to be accurate), and I have to say: the movie was quite underrated...I'll give the people reading this a minute or so to wrap that around their heads............................................................okay, minute over.
Now, this would be the part where I put, "Some Spoilers Below". However, given that Spider-Man 3 came out in 2007...let's move on.
Sandman was arguably the most superlative villain in the movie. The revelation that he was actually Uncle Ben's killer was certainly an effective plot twist. I truly felt that I could relate to him as a character. Furthermore, I believe that his final scene and "death" was the most emotional section of the entire film.
Venom wasn't that badly portrayed either. I thought Topher Grace was a decent choice to play Eddie Brock (unlike a multitude of Spider-Man fans...). In addition, the Venom/Symbiote suit was also well translated from the comics into the big screen, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I found Harry Osborn to have been basically "tacked on" to the movie. The "New" Goblin's fight with Spider-Man felt utterly pointless (not to mention, he pulled 4 heel/face turns throughout the course of the movie). Other than that though, Spider-Man 3 was a good movie.
I actually found the "Emo Peter Parker" to be pretty amusing. In fact, I thought that was the best (and most daring) portrayal of Peter in the entire Sam Raimi trilogy.
So, while Spider-Man 3 (and I cannot stress this enough) is definitely NOT the greatest Spider-Man movie of all time, it is absolutely not a bad film either.
notchlover69Aug 27, 2014
This movie isn't great and it's not horrible. In the end it's just a disappointing sequel to Spider-Man 2. They didn't spend much time with Venom or Sandman as they felt very rushed and didn't have enough character development.
HISHEhebJul 9, 2014
סרט הספיידרמן הכי גורע שראינו, לא כדאי לראות. סרט שהרס לא מעט דמויות מהקומיקס של ספיידרמן. יש כמה סצינות שממש פדיחה בכלל לראות אותם. סרט שכל המעריצים של ספיידרמן התאכזבו ממנו, בעיקר בגלל שבו נהרסה הדמות של ונוםסרט הספיידרמן הכי גורע שראינו, לא כדאי לראות. סרט שהרס לא מעט דמויות מהקומיקס של ספיידרמן. יש כמה סצינות שממש פדיחה בכלל לראות אותם. סרט שכל המעריצים של ספיידרמן התאכזבו ממנו, בעיקר בגלל שבו נהרסה הדמות של ונום
MemburgJun 23, 2014
This movie receives too much hate for what it is. It is my favorite of the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy (yes I liked it better than 2) It has the best dialogue out of all of them in which Maguire no longer is contented with a blank stare, andThis movie receives too much hate for what it is. It is my favorite of the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy (yes I liked it better than 2) It has the best dialogue out of all of them in which Maguire no longer is contented with a blank stare, and in my opinion has the most relatable and interesting villain of them all, the Sandman. His birth and eventual redemption are some of the most powerful I have ever seen in a movie. It has a huge array of memorable moments, and for one reason or another, I rather like the dance scene. Its well choreographed, is full of very energetic performances, but I can definitely understand why people were disgusted by that scene. But in the end, is it really enough to bring the entire movie down to unwatchable status? No, this movie is an incredible experience for any Spidey fan, just be ready for a cringe fest when emo-Peter begins showing his moves. Expand
LuiszJun 3, 2014
The worst movie of Spider-Man and one of the worst from Marvel.........................................................................................
JacobMay 9, 2014
Spider-Man 3 is a disappointment for me. With X-Men 3: The Last Stand it was a different director but this is the same team. There are so many great ideas in here for a Spider-Man movie but the decision to use all of them at once rather thanSpider-Man 3 is a disappointment for me. With X-Men 3: The Last Stand it was a different director but this is the same team. There are so many great ideas in here for a Spider-Man movie but the decision to use all of them at once rather than just use one or two results in a messy movie that lacks any sort of real focus and some elements of the film are not as fleshed out as they could have been or as much as I would have liked to have been. So many great ideas were in this movie that I was excited to see through various trailers and ads such as Gwen Stacy and the Black Suit and their handling was not what I wanted at all. But even with a messy story the film still could have been decent or mediocre but the film his hurt by some bad writing. The film spends excessive time on a poorly written romance and makes Peter unlikeable resulting in some parts of this film that are painful to watch. This is hard for me because I love Spider-Man and really want to like this movie but I love Spider-Man so much that I’m willing to get upset when a film about him is done wrong. It is so disappointing especially considering how good of a job Raimi did on the first two. Its sad because you can see the sparks of brilliance yet the execution is sloppy. If you are interested in seeing this film check out as its not all bad as there are some cool action scenes and this film has a mixed reaction with everyone having their own variations of how much they like it. However, lower your expectations as this a poorly put together film from someone who is capable of making good movies. The pieces are there I just wish they were put together properly. Expand
AaronWasserman2May 4, 2014
This is what happens when you have too many story lines, to many villains, and to many things to juggle. Spider-Man 3 sucks. Spider-Man 3 is a visually stunning movie and has a great score...that being said theres nothing else to it. TheThis is what happens when you have too many story lines, to many villains, and to many things to juggle. Spider-Man 3 sucks. Spider-Man 3 is a visually stunning movie and has a great score...that being said theres nothing else to it. The acting is clunky, the story is so tangled (no pun intended) and character motivations are constantly questions. things happen by coincidence...good call sony to get rid of Spidey 4 and bring in the new ones. Expand
AGarcia732May 1, 2014
I will always love Spider-Man, he was the first childhood superhero that I loved and grew up with. When I watched Spider-Man 3 the first time on DVD, I thought it was a great movie and the best of the trilogy. I even thought it was the bestI will always love Spider-Man, he was the first childhood superhero that I loved and grew up with. When I watched Spider-Man 3 the first time on DVD, I thought it was a great movie and the best of the trilogy. I even thought it was the best movie ever. (Keep in mind I was a kid, like 8 or 9 years old.) Then later on when I heard that people said that it had too many villains and too many subplots, I thought they were crazy. Then, I re-watched it a year or two later and saw it as a well-experienced movie viewer.

The reason why Spider-Man 3 wasn't the best it could have been was because, in my opinion, it didn't take itself seriously and felt a bit silly. (Emo-Peter Parker and him dancing all over NY with his stupid hair style? The effects of the black symbiote made him a "finger-snapping hipster" at worst, nothing else. Oh my god, those scenes for me ruined the movie more than the villains. Everytime I rewatch the movie, I skip those scenes. Really, what were they thinking?) The movie didn't feel too overwhelming or overstuffed to me...or maybe it was. I think most of the characters could've been expanded upon and developed better and fleshed out more (Venom/Eddie Brock, The New Green Goblin/Harry, Peter Parker, Mary Jane, Aunt May, etc).
The visual effects, in some scenes, withstood the test of time better than the previous films. In other scenes though, the CGI felt a bit sloppy and crude (Venom and the symbiote and Harry and his glider). The music and soundtrack feel dramatic and iconic, throughout the whole movie it just adds to the experience. "The Birth of Sandman" scene was one of my favorite scenes from the film. It also combines the best of the film's music and CGI. Venom, the most complained about villain, wasn't too bad but his character development was rushed. Venom, with his rich story/background and the loads of good source material, should have been better. Topher Grace didn't look as muscular or evil or charismatic (depending on which iteration/version) as he should've been. Harry and Sandman were both fine though. Sandman was really great.

Spider-Man 3 was too rushed. Sam Raimi didn't want to include Venom and Gwen Stacy, that was the idea of Avi Arad and the executives at Sony/Columbia. The production, the crew, and the director were rushed and that affected the overall product. Spider-Man 3 could've been the best Spider-Man movie of the Sam Raimi trilogy, maybe the best of both trilogies, but it just messed up. I wonder what would've happened if Sam Raimi didn't listen to everyone suggesting ideas; maybe things would've turned out better. What would've happened if we had a Spider-Man 4? 5? 6?

Many people compare The Amazing Spider-Man 2 to Spider-Man 3, but the only similarity is that they each have three villains. Spider-Man 3 had Eddie Brock, who became villain at the last part of the film, and Harry Osborn, who became a hero at the last part of the film. And Sandman just leaves, and tells Spider-Man he's sorry. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has Rhino, who only a villain for 10-15 minutes. It also has Harry Osborn (again?) and Electro. Both of the latter are added in nicely and not squeezed in.

Spider-Man 3 is OK. The conclusion of the trilogy should have been better, but I'm satisfied enough with what we got.

If you want to read more of my in-depth reviews about movies and TV shows, please click on my name or on "All this user's reviews". Please read them and like them, I'd appreciate it. I put real effort into these reviews. I've also reviewed the other films in the original Sam Raimi trilogy, and the two films in the new reboot.
BronsonApr 28, 2014
The highly anticipated follow up in Sam Raimi's masterful series ups the ante with 3 villains and the introduction of the black suit. The villains showcased in this movie are Sandman played by Thomas Hayden Church, New Green Goblin potrayedThe highly anticipated follow up in Sam Raimi's masterful series ups the ante with 3 villains and the introduction of the black suit. The villains showcased in this movie are Sandman played by Thomas Hayden Church, New Green Goblin potrayed by James Franco and finally Venom played by Topher Grace. On paper this sounds amazing but in reality.... it wasn't. Too many plot points plague this movie and it turns into a mess story wise. Luckily the action makes up for it to not make it a total disaster but by far the weakest movie of Raimi's trilogy and probably the weakest Spidey film to date. Expand
drlowdonApr 22, 2014
The final movie in the trilogy, while not as bad as some make out, is certainly the weakest. Much of the action and comedy is still there but by pitting Spider-Man against three enemies (rather just one as in the first two movies) the filmThe final movie in the trilogy, while not as bad as some make out, is certainly the weakest. Much of the action and comedy is still there but by pitting Spider-Man against three enemies (rather just one as in the first two movies) the film loses its focus. Each of the enemies back stories are developed in too much detail and the web-slinger comes close to being a guest in his own movie that is arguably trying to be too ambitious. Expand
Meth-dudeApr 20, 2014
I don't know why critics and people are so mean with it because it's my favourite spider-man movie by far.There is more action and more characters there is an awesome plot but i agreed with the fact that in this movie the acting was prettyI don't know why critics and people are so mean with it because it's my favourite spider-man movie by far.There is more action and more characters there is an awesome plot but i agreed with the fact that in this movie the acting was pretty bad.I recommend it to everybody who likes superhero/action movies Expand
OrangeknockoutApr 9, 2014
lol people are really divided on this movie lol I for one enjoyed it; this was actually my most favorite spider man movie; the action was great, the emotional parts tugged at my strings, and a bad spiderman was a fresh change of pace; I don'tlol people are really divided on this movie lol I for one enjoyed it; this was actually my most favorite spider man movie; the action was great, the emotional parts tugged at my strings, and a bad spiderman was a fresh change of pace; I don't know if its just me but the ending brought me to near tears; lol a great movie definantly; I would recommend anyone to just go in, watch the movie, and watch it on your own behalf; just because someone here said the movie was bad doesn't mean its bad; vice versa for good; lol

the only problem I had with this movie was that venom didn't get enough spotlight; sandman got more attention than venom and venom didn't get enough development; also the guy who played venom didn't really fit the persona of what I pictured venom to be; I always pictured venom to be this big buff guy that bullied peter parker but this actor failed to pull off that image lol still I suppose I he did a decent job of being venom lol he did get the cockiness of venom down pretty well lol

solid 8, great movie!
guitarguy001Jan 11, 2014
I enjoy this movie, but it does have it's problems.

I enjoy this movie, but it does have it's problems.

The acting is good, the direction is good, the story is paced well and the action scenes are well done. I really do enjoy Harry as the goblin in my opinion as it creates a lot of tension between Peter and Harry as they are (or were) best friends. Peter and MJ finally have a romance, unlike the previous Spider Man movies and Jameson is always funny. The visuals are also great.

However, the story has so many plot points that it becomes convoluted and all of them could have been their own movie. You have the Sandman being the killer of Uncle Ben, the new goblin and his conflict with Peter and the Symbiote which creates Emo Peter, Peter breaking up with MJ, and Venom. Emo Peter was just unneeded and poorly done, instead of showing conflict with the symbiote, he appears to have a good time until he punches MJ and realized what he has done.

Venom was completely underutilized. When he showed up, he looked great, but the vast majority of the time he spoke, he was unmasked. Why? He looked great, why do we need to see Grace's face instead of VENOM? He is so far Spider Man's most anticipated villain to make an appearance on the big screen and when we got it, it was for 10 minutes. Disappointing.

Even though it's the weakest Spider Man movie, i enjoy watching Spider Man 3. I feel like it's a well made movie as it has good things like the acting, direction, action sequences and the visuals. However, because of having too many villains, the plot was convoluted and ALL of them could have made their own movie.
Iky009Jan 6, 2014
Depois do 2° se perdeu literalmente.Depois do 2° se perdeu literalmente. Expand
blue-ninjaDec 8, 2013
I have watch this spidey movie more 10 times, but the film is still not boring, this is spidey series movies the best. I love it, all acting, effect, music is great. If i can Give Score Spiderman Movie 1 Get 8.5, Spiderman Movie 2 Get 9, AndI have watch this spidey movie more 10 times, but the film is still not boring, this is spidey series movies the best. I love it, all acting, effect, music is great. If i can Give Score Spiderman Movie 1 Get 8.5, Spiderman Movie 2 Get 9, And Spiderman 3 Get 10 (Perfecto). Sam Raimi is The Best Director Movie Superhero Expand
marcmyworksDec 2, 2013
This film tried to hard to be everything all at once. Much like X-Men: The Last Stand, there are too many characters and not enough time to fully develop them. I was happy for the inclusion of Venom as a villain, but as he was a secondaryThis film tried to hard to be everything all at once. Much like X-Men: The Last Stand, there are too many characters and not enough time to fully develop them. I was happy for the inclusion of Venom as a villain, but as he was a secondary character, he wasn't as fun or interesting as he should have been. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 13, 2013
Spider-Man 3 gets exterminated.
Spider-Man 3 gets exterminated.
The film begins sound until trying to do too much all at once. The first mistake is attempting to introduce two new villains along with an already iconic one, and it completely collapses when Peter Parker nearly becomes a villain himself. The movie gets lost and doesn't find its way back home.
OfficialNov 11, 2013
Okay, I'm gonna say that "Spider-Man 3" is just disappointing. It's a complete mess. The story was under-plotted, has too many plot holes, does not have the emotional satisfaction as "Spider-Man 2", and was just really bad. The only positiveOkay, I'm gonna say that "Spider-Man 3" is just disappointing. It's a complete mess. The story was under-plotted, has too many plot holes, does not have the emotional satisfaction as "Spider-Man 2", and was just really bad. The only positive thing I can say about this film is the action and the visuals. Expand
MovieGuysSep 20, 2013
Damn. For the first two movies, the premise was fresh, exciting, never lagged, and was just so fun to watch. So, what happened in the third movie? It got a little dull, and included more drama, less action. Something big happens at the endDamn. For the first two movies, the premise was fresh, exciting, never lagged, and was just so fun to watch. So, what happened in the third movie? It got a little dull, and included more drama, less action. Something big happens at the end which I won't spoil, and I swear by everything that is holy that no one wanted this event to happen. Expand
TheOnlineGamerAug 22, 2013
Just like the reviews for M.J's play, this film is unbelievably underrated. The characters, story and themes all come full circle in this masterpiece. I love that the film combines all the goofy and emotional themes to conclude a fantasticJust like the reviews for M.J's play, this film is unbelievably underrated. The characters, story and themes all come full circle in this masterpiece. I love that the film combines all the goofy and emotional themes to conclude a fantastic story with much Oscar-worthy finesse (Sandman's creation, anyone?).

One of my favourite movies and I hope The Amazing Spider-Man 2 can live up to this amazing trilogy.
SuperheroMoviesAug 5, 2013
The film plummets from the success of the masterpiece its predecessor was, but Spider-Man 3 still manages to entertain with humor and an emotional story, even if it had a bloated running time and lacked the memorability of Spider-Man 2.
StevenFAug 4, 2013
Seeing this for the first time in the cinema, I must admit I was impressed, but I also left the feeling with a problem that I couldn't quite put my finger on, and when I watched it again, an again, the problems threw themselves at me to theSeeing this for the first time in the cinema, I must admit I was impressed, but I also left the feeling with a problem that I couldn't quite put my finger on, and when I watched it again, an again, the problems threw themselves at me to the point where I felt so disappointed, I didn't hate Spider-Man 3, but after such a strong and excellent second outing for our hero, the third tried to go bigger and bigger to the point where they seemed to lose track of characters, plot lines and an overall sense of enjoyment.
A relatively unknown and unexplained symbiote crash lands on earth, and this makes for some very interesting changes in the personality of Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire), who continues to date the woman he loves, albeit with plenty of speed bumps along the way. Peter also has to deal with his estranged friend Harry, who now has a very ruthless side and his very own alter-ego, someone who causes problems for Spider-Man, but not alone. The film paves the way for not one, not two, but three villains. Just as can be imagined, it becomes messy and confusing with a bewildering and awkward love triangle, a very powerful villain who has a quick backstory and thats it, we have a villain in the form of Venom who could be touted as one of the most famous of foes, but the most underused and wrongly portrayed characters in film, rushed and overblown are a few choice words.
Its just difficult to heighten any sense of character in these new foes, with a weak script which doesn't explore them with enough depth or gratifying belief that they could even contend with Doc Ock of the second film. They seem more like plot devices to move the story along, and Venom seemed to be used as a oh no, we forgot we had Venom shown earlier, stick him into that scene" type scenario. With this comes the vastly different main characters, who now seem like the kids they should have portrayed in the first film but are coming up late, with the lack of humour definitely apparent.
But the action and visuals continue to come up top marks, with the birth of Sandman being a particularly impressive scene which one of the limited marvels of the film, some of the action sequences were excellent, many just seemed to help knock up the budget with no relevance at all to the story. There is certainly a different, darker and much more gritty attitude in the third and final instalment of the Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire era, but it moves too fast and leaves too many characters out in the cold, adding up to a disappointing and ultimately messy affair.
JmsbppJul 15, 2013
Se daño un poco la saga sin embargo tiene su encanto de Hombre araña que demuestra en la primera y segunda parte, De un modo Peter Parker saca su lado oscuro de una forma no muy chevere tal vez al ponerle mas accion se perdio el hombre arañaSe daño un poco la saga sin embargo tiene su encanto de Hombre araña que demuestra en la primera y segunda parte, De un modo Peter Parker saca su lado oscuro de una forma no muy chevere tal vez al ponerle mas accion se perdio el hombre araña que habia antes Expand
MoviebuffreviewJul 9, 2013
Disappointingly, Spider-Man 3 puts the bad back into third films. While the film had some stunning visual effects and solid performances, the script was an absolute mess, the tone was confused, and the movie simply had too much going on toDisappointingly, Spider-Man 3 puts the bad back into third films. While the film had some stunning visual effects and solid performances, the script was an absolute mess, the tone was confused, and the movie simply had too much going on to focus its sights on one thing. Additionally, the unnecessary cheese and goofiness made the story difficult to take seriously, making for a film that equaled the death of a series. Expand
survivorfan989Jul 1, 2013
All three Spider-Man films are very good, but this is my least favourite of the three. Having said that it's still a very good movie and a lot of the lose ends were tied up, as well as learning more about things from the first film inAll three Spider-Man films are very good, but this is my least favourite of the three. Having said that it's still a very good movie and a lot of the lose ends were tied up, as well as learning more about things from the first film in particular. The whole 'Peter turns Emo' was a little odd, and I don't think the villains were as strong as the first two films villains, so thats the lows, but being a Spider-Man there is always going to be a lot of good and I still thoroughly enjoyed watching it! Expand
MalevolentMay 31, 2013
I was in third grade when this movie came out and I absolutely loved it. But as I grew older I realized that I didn't like Venom in this movie. There just wasn't enough of him in this movie and I could tell Sam Raimi didn't try to make him asI was in third grade when this movie came out and I absolutely loved it. But as I grew older I realized that I didn't like Venom in this movie. There just wasn't enough of him in this movie and I could tell Sam Raimi didn't try to make him as cool as he is in the comics. I also wish they had left Sandman out of this film. Overall, it was a decent film. Expand
Rox22Mar 14, 2013
Not bad, not good either. It has some really good scenes. It has some really bad scenes. Which genius thought it would be a great idea to cast Topher Grace as Eddie Brock? Eddie Brock/Venom is meant to be the opposite to Parker bothNot bad, not good either. It has some really good scenes. It has some really bad scenes. Which genius thought it would be a great idea to cast Topher Grace as Eddie Brock? Eddie Brock/Venom is meant to be the opposite to Parker both physically and mentally. Grace does do a good job at nailing Brock/Venom's mentality but he just does not look the part. Brock/Venom was meant to be much bigger. A body builder in comparison to Spider-Man. As to Emo-Peter I think pretty much everyone else has said what is need to be said about this. Thomas Haden Church on the other hand is perhaps the only saving grace of this movie. He was an excellent Sandman. In fact I could even go so far as to say his version is even superior to the one in the comics. Sandman was always just a side character, but Church really did give him some depth and reason. Overall: Spider-Man 3 as a whole isn't terrible but it has just got far, far too many ideas floating about that are just underdeveloped. As if Raimi was trying to please too many people at once. Expand
LaGuertaFeb 27, 2013
You can only assume that Raimi intended to make a comedy but changed his mind at the last minute. Peter Parker dances away his credibility and the potential for a sequel.
SwatiFeb 12, 2013
I wish I had never seen it. The plot was so contrived and the length longer without offering anything of worth. It's like they knew this was the last one in the series and they had to use all the villains. With nothing to offer, they evenI wish I had never seen it. The plot was so contrived and the length longer without offering anything of worth. It's like they knew this was the last one in the series and they had to use all the villains. With nothing to offer, they even tried to make us concerned that this might be the end of Spidey, but it looked so sappy I wanted him to die and be done with. There were a few good scenes when Spidey turns dark, but nothing can really redeem this piece of garbage. Expand
oblique15Feb 9, 2013
Weakest of the three by far! I don`t know how dancing makes Venom look bad ass. I was really disappointed in this movie when I watched it. I hate Superman movies, and this movie moved into Superman company for me.
WiesyJan 17, 2013
I expected more action. The two other movies are great.
anshimanDec 23, 2012
Though it has its emotionally heightened, strong moments, and visual splendour to spare, these are the last yellow spots on a rotten banana. 'Spider-Man 3' lacks the honest emotion that made the first two so great, as well as developing theThough it has its emotionally heightened, strong moments, and visual splendour to spare, these are the last yellow spots on a rotten banana. 'Spider-Man 3' lacks the honest emotion that made the first two so great, as well as developing the too-many-villains disease that makes the plot wear thin before your eyes. A disappointing final chapter to Raimi's otherwise brilliant trilogy. Expand
Gamer44Dec 5, 2012
oh my but this movie sucks 100 times more than spider-man 1 and 2.The acting is even worse,the story is the worst ever.and sorry tobey maguire but your acting still sucks it is so terrible I never want to see another Tobey Maguire movie in myoh my but this movie sucks 100 times more than spider-man 1 and 2.The acting is even worse,the story is the worst ever.and sorry tobey maguire but your acting still sucks it is so terrible I never want to see another Tobey Maguire movie in my lifetime.And it is all thanks to spider-man.Can't believe they decided to actually make a third instalment they should not have never made spider-man from the beginning they would have saved lots of money and would have saved us from utter bordem.Again this goes straight into the worst movies in history list. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
A film you really wish possessed as good of a second half as it did a first half. Spider-Man 3 almost crashes and burns.
PixarloverOct 17, 2012
A clunky, uneven, too villain-filled, disappointing conclusion to The Spiderman Trilogy. That's a shame because the movie looked amazing from all the theatrical shorts and tv trailers. What we got was an over-the-top Tobey Magurie going allA clunky, uneven, too villain-filled, disappointing conclusion to The Spiderman Trilogy. That's a shame because the movie looked amazing from all the theatrical shorts and tv trailers. What we got was an over-the-top Tobey Magurie going all emo on us and performing a ridiculous dance scene in a bar later on in the movie. Does that sound like what you'd expect from a movie that has Venom in it?!?!?!

If it wasn't for the guy who played Eddie Brock, then the film would have been okay to watch. However, the "birth of The Sandman is just an amazing scene and the only memorable part of the movie for me.
RikiegeOct 12, 2012
Very good sequel to Spiderman, but no better than the first part. I recommend it to fans of Spiderman. This film is full of surprises that will leave you open-mouthed.
moviefan11Aug 28, 2012
best one in the series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
btzneb92Aug 12, 2012
A major disappointment, mostly from the fact that it completely contradicts the first two movies. One of the biggest reasons why Spider-Man is one of the most appealing superheroes is because of his self-sacrificing nature. The shift thatA major disappointment, mostly from the fact that it completely contradicts the first two movies. One of the biggest reasons why Spider-Man is one of the most appealing superheroes is because of his self-sacrificing nature. The shift that suddenly he becomes "Mr. Big Shot" in this movie feels not only inconsistent, but it feels like we missed watching a Spider-Man movie that took place between "2" and "3". Not to mention that there's just simply too much crammed into this. Venom has no place in this movie whatsoever, and the revenge storyline between Peter and the Sandman was just so poorly handled. Boo. Expand
Tall_But_ShortJul 20, 2012
What the hell was this crap? Sam Raimi, after your masterpiece superhero film, Spider-Man 2 I expected so much more from you. Sure, the movie was funny in some points but the story was downright terrible. Venom had like three minutes ofWhat the hell was this crap? Sam Raimi, after your masterpiece superhero film, Spider-Man 2 I expected so much more from you. Sure, the movie was funny in some points but the story was downright terrible. Venom had like three minutes of screen time and the Sandman was just lame. The dialogue was cheesy and there was nothing to go on. Spider-Man 3 was one of the biggest disappointments for movie-goers and Spidey fans, both. Expand
JairPazJul 19, 2012
This third installment of Sam Raimi, Spider-Man is a real waste of money, of course with respect to director Sam Raimi, but unlike Spider-Man 2, this does not have good story, not a good enemy, as in my opinion venom should have a very goodThis third installment of Sam Raimi, Spider-Man is a real waste of money, of course with respect to director Sam Raimi, but unlike Spider-Man 2, this does not have good story, not a good enemy, as in my opinion venom should have a very good job and not just out and about when it will end the movie, I say that if sam Raimi does not make the same mistake, what you can do is, first, not much to emocionarce special effects, since what is in each one, Spiderman 3 has very good special effects, with a budget that spent 250 million dollars, is to have well thought out story, and if not found leave behind that and find another thing, as does the genius of nolan, which in its delivery of Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, has had a very good story, apart from very good enemies.

Well in conclusion, Spider-Man 3 is a waste of money to have gone to see a film like this to the movies, and that now is not very cheap to say.
My calificasion for Spiderman 3, Sam Raimi is 4/10.
jos95Jul 16, 2012
I loved the first two, but this was a HUGE disappointment. The action and the visual effects were the best in the series, but the acting was soooo unconvincing and many of the sub-plots in this movie were just cliched and silly. The jazz clubI loved the first two, but this was a HUGE disappointment. The action and the visual effects were the best in the series, but the acting was soooo unconvincing and many of the sub-plots in this movie were just cliched and silly. The jazz club has to be one of the stupidest scenes I've ever watched. Venom had so much possibility for Spider-Man 4 (before Sony scrapped it) they shouldn't have killed him off! I wanted Spider-Man 4 to be better, but Sony seemed to think that a reboot would be better than a sequel that made up for the atrocities of this film. PATHETIC! Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
While it certainly has its silly parts and its overloaded with too many characters, Spider-Man 3 ultimately works because of its dazzling special effects and strong emotional focus.
Chris_DKJul 9, 2012
Personally I think Spider-Man 3 wraps up everything nicely. It is a great movie to end the Raimi series of Spider-Man with New Goblin, Venom and Sandman. The script and storyline is good, though the movie is not as good as it's predecessorsPersonally I think Spider-Man 3 wraps up everything nicely. It is a great movie to end the Raimi series of Spider-Man with New Goblin, Venom and Sandman. The script and storyline is good, though the movie is not as good as it's predecessors due to the amount of villains the movie is trying to handle and the bloopers. The ending was also a misfire, I expected more from it, perhaps a speech from Peter about his life as Spider-Man. Expand
Jai11elasJul 5, 2012
OK ending to the franchise but still this had to be a little more exciting heart pounding.............just satisfaction and nothing else i gave it a 7 just cuz of the VENOM
cowbell31Jun 22, 2012
People usually pick on Spider-Man 3 by saying that "Venom was portrayed terribly", or "Spider-Man was a sissy". But what was really wrong with this movie was that everything felt fake. NY didn't seem like NY. Peter didn't act like Peter.People usually pick on Spider-Man 3 by saying that "Venom was portrayed terribly", or "Spider-Man was a sissy". But what was really wrong with this movie was that everything felt fake. NY didn't seem like NY. Peter didn't act like Peter. Spider-Man didn't act like a Spider-Man. And Sandman was meant to be the villain of the film but was wedge to work with Venom. Basically to much went on. Too many villains, and too many moments repeated from the previous movies. Expand
dharmaJun 9, 2012
Studio VS Sam Raimi. By the time Spider-Man 3 is finished, we have way too many villains and way too many plot points. It shows how cluttered and unfocused this sequel was, the 'final' installment of Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. It wasStudio VS Sam Raimi. By the time Spider-Man 3 is finished, we have way too many villains and way too many plot points. It shows how cluttered and unfocused this sequel was, the 'final' installment of Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. It was rumored that Raimi was forced to include Venom in the film as he is one of the more 'popular' villain out there. By the time number 4 was in pre-production, the wrangling between the film maker and studio resulted in a complete reboot of this franchise. Expand
fanguychrisJun 3, 2012
While it definitely has a lot of flaws, I don't think Spider-Man 3 is the abomination that a lot of people say it is. I'll talk about the good stuff first. Firstly the film looks amazing, the special effects are the best out of all of theWhile it definitely has a lot of flaws, I don't think Spider-Man 3 is the abomination that a lot of people say it is. I'll talk about the good stuff first. Firstly the film looks amazing, the special effects are the best out of all of the three films. The web action looks awesome, Sandman looks awesome and Venom looks brilliant! People complain that he wasn't bulky enough but I thought he was fine. The only exception to the great special effects is the scene when Harry attacks Peter near the start of the film, its quite obvious that the makers had trouble animating the web swinging action when Peter is not wearing his suit. Another good thing about this film is that in some scenes it really does nail to darker tone that the film was going for, when Peter first gets the black suit it leads to some great and intense moments...now the bad stuff. It's obvious that this film cannot decide on a tone. At some points it's going for a really dark tone but in others it seems to be trying to make you laugh, or trying to be dark but failing and making us laugh when we shouldn't be. The acting isn't too bad but there's nothing special and the writing, while still better than Spider-Man 1, it has some cheesy and cheap lines and it makes some characters react to things in unrealistic ways. There's a lot in this film, so it does feel a bit bloated from time to time, especially in the ending. The ending to me felt like they makers were just having to tie up the loose ends one by one and it didn't feel natural. I could go on but I don't think I need to. This film can be enjoyable in some parts but you just cannot ignore all of its flaws. Expand
mrmonsterMay 31, 2012
Spider-man 3 was an epic superhero adventure. Everyone will love this movie. With intense violence, a great plot, and Marvel's coolest superhero, you can't help but like Spider-man 3.
ZilcellMay 11, 2012
With this Spider-Man you have a story that is different from its predecessors. Now there are multiple villains. It may seem like a lot to handle in one film, but somehow the action and story work out in the end. This is the most tragicWith this Spider-Man you have a story that is different from its predecessors. Now there are multiple villains. It may seem like a lot to handle in one film, but somehow the action and story work out in the end. This is the most tragic Spider-Man of them all. Expand
MrHipsterZebraApr 18, 2012
I understand the complaints that many fans like myself have towards this movie, but I still enjoyed the movie nonetheless. The "Emo Peter" scenes were cheesy and comic bookish... but isn't that the point of a comic book movie? My only realI understand the complaints that many fans like myself have towards this movie, but I still enjoyed the movie nonetheless. The "Emo Peter" scenes were cheesy and comic bookish... but isn't that the point of a comic book movie? My only real problem w/ the movie is how little screen time Venom got. Raimi should have moved him to the 4th movie and kept the Sandman as the main villain. I feel the Venom saga deserves its own movie. In conclusion, this is a good movie with a few problems. Expand
Tranquilbez22Apr 7, 2012
As much as this movie was spectacular it had too much going, Too much Sandman, not enough new Goblin and Venom, The scene where Peter cries cause MJ boke up with him was so frustrating, he was basically being a sook. With the exception ofAs much as this movie was spectacular it had too much going, Too much Sandman, not enough new Goblin and Venom, The scene where Peter cries cause MJ boke up with him was so frustrating, he was basically being a sook. With the exception of Topher Grace, casting was spot on. It's a fun filled ride but it isn't as fun as the first two were. still it's a worthy addition to your movie collection, especially blu-ray. Expand
CooterPatooterMar 7, 2012
An unnecessarily overlong and depressing sequel that has Peter Parker happily embracing the dark side until minutes before the end credits roll. Having him change his mind at the last possible second and then show up in time to get his buttAn unnecessarily overlong and depressing sequel that has Peter Parker happily embracing the dark side until minutes before the end credits roll. Having him change his mind at the last possible second and then show up in time to get his butt pummeled for ten minutes straight is a terrible way to end a franchise. Crying, blubbering and egotistical trash-talking abounds. Throw in Topher Grace as a criminally uninteresting and underpowered Venom (you can't be serious!!!) and you have a recipe for total meltdown. I suggest you pretend that Spider Man 2 was the final movie in the series and avoid this quagmire completely. Expand
UltimatEFeb 29, 2012
Spider-man 3 sure has it's faults and flaws. The final cheapter in the spider triogy wraps up the francise greatly and the CGI is dazzling as anything. Sadley though spider-man 3 is so desprate to out-live the amazing spider-man 2 that itSpider-man 3 sure has it's faults and flaws. The final cheapter in the spider triogy wraps up the francise greatly and the CGI is dazzling as anything. Sadley though spider-man 3 is so desprate to out-live the amazing spider-man 2 that it works too hard with way too many villans. First of all, if your gonna go ahead with spidey 3 then keep in mind that,ll you either be blown away or damn right disappointed. Mixed reviews are everywhere on the internet so watch with an open mind. First of all the fight scenes are amazing! oh and there's action! Real action with mind blowing CGI. However though, the film spins a messy plot going to the next character and then to the next one. It's also to note that once spidey goes bad, the film even try's to be funny showing a dance scene with peter ( no! you read that right!) a dance scene! You may just be mad with laughter or myble you,ll come across the WTF factor. Either way though despite the films flaws, spider-man 3 has a darker tone and message then the other two films and also has the beatiful message of forgiveness and choices in the film which to me, was what i found to be the best part of the film. The film wraps the triogly up greatly and by doing so changes the wall clawers orgin story. A riskly move i know and some people thought wrong of this but i for one thought that it payed off as it makes peter grow up more with forgiveness in his heart rather then revenage. Something that are own hearts lack and need to be taught with as well. We always have a choice to do the right thing and its why that this film has the best theme in all of three spider-man films. Spider-man 3 may not live up to spider-man 2 which is a true fact but bear in mind though that it has more heart then spider-man 2 and message. that even the best of us need to learn. Venom was myble a pointless figure in the film but to be honest i just think that venom was a relection of what peter could of become and also what we could become if we live with revenage in our own hearts forever. Don't expect venom to great in the film, let alone be that much in the film either but Raimi didn't even want this guy in the film but instead used him to tell the next story of peter parker. Oh and there's also a death in the film as well, two deaths actualy ( one a villian by no surprise since this a spider-man film) and one is just another message as well. A message that shows even if we can redeem are are selfs from bad choices, we,ll stay have to pay for what we chose to dofor making the wrong choice's in life. To sum it all up, spider-man 3, depsite it's faults, is the best spider-man film with a heart and message. Despite not reaching the level of spider-man 2, the final film has bearth taking CGI and finsh's off the triogy on level. Say what you what about this film, love it or hate it, people say only fans who read the comics only know how this is a bad film. Well guass what? This is coming from a big spider-man who loves the comics and also loves this film as well! There's troll's every where on the internet who rip this film to shreds but i don't care. There's more postive then negative reviews on this site, user's put a more postive reviews here which has out-weighed the bad ones so i know that there's other people who think the same as i do. It's not a bad film but a damn good fllm in it's own light. Besides, despite that spider-man 4 may be cancelled, spider-man 3 wrapped the franise up greatly and it did a damn fine job to end one of the most loved super-hero series ever to come. Expand
supercherrybroFeb 22, 2012
It's awesome if your 12 or if you can relive those days. At that age you just pay attention to how awesome the film is and it really is. The action scenes and special effects are awesome.
Nero97Jan 13, 2012
Compared to the other Spider Man movies, this is bad. The history isn't nice as the first movie's and it's way less enjoyable. The enemy: Venom, is the nicest thing of the movie...probably one of the only things nice in it.
Jdude1006Dec 16, 2011
A good movie, not great, not brilliant, a good movie, a good Spider Man movie! The introduction to Venom, the black suited Spidey, and Sandman were all great. The actors did an "alright" job at portraying the characters, and all of that (theA good movie, not great, not brilliant, a good movie, a good Spider Man movie! The introduction to Venom, the black suited Spidey, and Sandman were all great. The actors did an "alright" job at portraying the characters, and all of that (the music, sound effects, ect.) were okay. The costumes were great and the special effects are outstanding with true Spidey battles. But like the other two movies, there isn't much screen time of Spider man as there should be, along with too many story lines (for one movie) and a failed love triangle attempt, this movie leaves me with mixed feelings. But it's still worth watching and buying the DVD when released. Go Spidey, Go... Expand
spadenxDec 9, 2011
There is a reason they are rebooting the series, This film was absolute trash. Not only did the acting and the story suck but there was a musical during the film and that just wont do.
gkelly5579Dec 8, 2011
What a waste of time! Walked into this movie with high expectations, thought I was watching a poorly done Mad TV sketch(which is saying something for Mad TV because their sketches are normally bad) but then realized I was infact in the middleWhat a waste of time! Walked into this movie with high expectations, thought I was watching a poorly done Mad TV sketch(which is saying something for Mad TV because their sketches are normally bad) but then realized I was infact in the middle of a horrible Spider-Man movie. Expand