Walt Disney Studios | Release Date: September 20, 2002
Universal acclaim based on 1390 Ratings
1,282
Watch Now
BeThatCatNov 3, 2015
Love it. I am probably the epitome of the meaning of the word "otaku" and when I say Studio Ghibli outdid themselves with this movie I totally mean it. The only reason I haven't given it a ten is because I have seen better, (in my opinion).
BrieGNov 9, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Many people believe that cartoons are strictly made for children. However there are plenty of films out there that inspire child-like imagination that are not only for the young ones but also for the young of heart. This cues in for the Fantasy/Mystery genre animated feature, Spirited Away, that is directed by Academy award winning animator and director Hayao Miyazaki.

Originally aired in 2001, Spirited Away has an original plot line that includes many fun bends and turns plus a climax that will leave the majority of its audience overcome with emotion. The movie itself seems to be based in the modern era until a sudden twist of events gets the protagonist thrown into a bizarre situation that she has to overcome with the help of her acquired friends.

The cast for the english version of the film include voice actors Daveigh Chase, Suzanne Pleshette, and Jason Marsden who play as Chihiro the protagonist, Yubaba the antagonistic owner of the hot springs, and servant boy Haku, respectively. The development seen in all the characters throughout the movie is intensely delightful and it feels as though viewers truly get to know the story as if they themselves were a part of the original work.

Not only is the plot a masterpiece, but the detail including the soundtrack with the sound effects put into the animation is enough reason to watch this flick. The music, composed by artist Joe Hisaishi, grips viewers with its beautiful symphonies from the orchestra and accompaniment of the piano. The english translation flows so effortlessly that, if not for the hand drawn style of Miyazaki, it would have been difficult to tell that the original version was made in a Japanese format beforehand.

Since it is the year 2015, many people may say that this flick is severely outdated especially because of the near 14 year gap from the day it was created. Although the clever way the story was made, makes time appear irrelevant especially if one takes the time to look at the timeline that Miyazaki set up for his movies and how each progresses from the next. If you are looking for an adventure that helps open the mind to the wonderful and bizarre then Spirited Away is definitely recommended for people of all ages!
CharlieBetterIsDec 24, 2015
A Viagem de Chihiro é um dos melhores filmes que eu já vi. Um dos pontos altos da cinematografia oriental! Uma animação espetacular que tem um roteiro impecável e uma história linda, cativante e instigante. Esse filme consegue agradar aA Viagem de Chihiro é um dos melhores filmes que eu já vi. Um dos pontos altos da cinematografia oriental! Uma animação espetacular que tem um roteiro impecável e uma história linda, cativante e instigante. Esse filme consegue agradar a (quase) todos. Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 9, 2016
Spirited Away is a well-worth applause to Disney for translating a Japanese movie to an English movie making it enjoyable and not off-track with different languages.
xenogamer21Jan 21, 2016
I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH!!! The first time i saw this was on cartoon network when i was little, and i instantly fell in love with it. The fact that a little girl goes off into the spirit world was just......WOW!!!
GaoshangSandyFeb 23, 2016
Beguiling and breathtakingly crafted, one of the best animation creators living today, Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki has done it again by creating another master piece after his well-known film Princess Mononoke with his new animationBeguiling and breathtakingly crafted, one of the best animation creators living today, Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki has done it again by creating another master piece after his well-known film Princess Mononoke with his new animation Spirited Away. This animation Spirited Away conveys its audience to another realm and universe to edify us, on how to find our true selves.
As breath-taking as it is, this animation is often compared to an animation we all know, “Alice in Wonderland”. This animation revolves around a sullen, whinny ten year old girl named Chihiro who wanders to a different realm of spirits, gods and mysterious creatures. Chihiro enters the realm when she flees after seeing her parents turn into pigs after they had devoured some spirit food they had randomly found in an abandoned town. As she runs away from all the bizarre events happening, she meets her first friend, Haku (a river god) who later helps her find a job at the Bath house. It is important to keep in mind that the bath house is the main setting for this animation, therefore it holds a lot of significances of how Chihiro finds her true self.
Working in the bath house and having to lose her name “Chihiro” to Yubaba (the spirit owner of the bath house), Chihiro has to take on a new moniker of “Sen” and learn how to not be a jackanapes girl she used to be when her parents was there to spoil her. Being “Sen” Chihiro does not forget her real name, therefore she is not like Haku who does not remember his name, as a result of forgetting his name, he is under the control of Yubaba making himself who he really is not.
One of the messages that Hayao Miyazaki wanted us to get out of the animation itself is never forget your identity, who you are or you will become someone who you aren’t like Haku. Hayao Miyazaki also uses the Bath house as a symbol of the Japanese identity so that the Japanese people do not forget their history and who they are. Another Message that we get from this animation is greed. In this animation we see many forms of greed but Chihiro never showed any greed and at the end, she was better off than those who were greedy in the animation.
I want to say that this is by far this is one of the best animations created. Why? The reason is how this film was made. Instead of using and relying on computers and technology to help draw the frames of the animation, Hayao Miyazaki draws each and every one of the thousand frames there is by hand. It is also amazing how the Japanese voice actors Miyu Irino (Haku), Rumi Hiiragi (Chihiro), Mari Natsuki (Yubaba and Zeniba) and Bunta Sugawara (Kamaji) can put the liveness into this animation. To record animations, it takes a lot of skills. Why? Because the cast has to be able to match the characters mouthing with their vocals to make it seem as if the characters are actually talking. In general, the Japanese cast does an amazing job by portraying their emotions and vocals into these characters therefore, this animation to me was one of the many animations that I found amusing and enchanting.
In Most of his animations, Hayao Miyazaki focuses on the theme spirituality. As this animation Spirited Away progresses, we as the audience may get enchanted into this realm along with Chihiro and be able to find our true selves. Through Spirited Away Hayao Miyazaki provides his audience with a light that will help us guide our way to find our true selves through the dark. By finding our true selves, we can fully understand our true identity, and open the doors to self-acceptance.
FuturedirectorSep 19, 2016
Spirited Away's victory on the Academy Awards isn't casualty: Animation, storytelling, and characters couldn't be more complex and surprisingly impressive. Hayao Miyazaki's Alice in Wonderland is simply a masterpiece that will definitely blowSpirited Away's victory on the Academy Awards isn't casualty: Animation, storytelling, and characters couldn't be more complex and surprisingly impressive. Hayao Miyazaki's Alice in Wonderland is simply a masterpiece that will definitely blow audience's minds. Expand
night4Apr 5, 2016
I appreciate the monumental effort that went into this movie. It's the kind of movie where, after watching it, you spend the next afternoon reading everything you can possibly get your hands on to better understand each and every detail.I appreciate the monumental effort that went into this movie. It's the kind of movie where, after watching it, you spend the next afternoon reading everything you can possibly get your hands on to better understand each and every detail.

However, it so blatantly and bluntly denounces "greed" that it loses all credibility. I know, it's meant for children. But the message seems to be if you have, want, or somehow acquire ANY money, ever, you're evil.
Antgiog1202Jun 2, 2016
WOW! This film was spectacular. Spirited Away was such a magical thrill-ride that I just can't get enough of. It leaves your mind spinning in wonder and your heart pounding with love. Hayao Miyazaki has proven to me that he is the greatestWOW! This film was spectacular. Spirited Away was such a magical thrill-ride that I just can't get enough of. It leaves your mind spinning in wonder and your heart pounding with love. Hayao Miyazaki has proven to me that he is the greatest hand-drawn animator out there.

Rating: 10/10

F = 0
MordoReviewerMay 21, 2016
Everytime you think in a anime movie, this is always the first option
Everytime you think in a anime movie, this is always the first option
I love this movie, i love the hand drawing animation it has and i love the characters, the drama, the backgrounds, the render they use, the voice acting ifselfs, the script, everything on this movie is perfect.
One of the bests works of Miyazaki.
CalibMcBoltsMay 30, 2016
An over the top, messy, crazy, incoherent, poorly structured, japanese take on ''Alice in Wonderland''
Except the beautiful animation (like with every Miyazaki film) there really is nothing here for me to like
ashu_ajAug 7, 2016
Blown Away, Spirited Away is an soul soothing ghost full journey, which all starts with a shortcut route.an movie with sheer ecstatic screenplay and wonderfully written and perfectly depicted. make no mistake this movie has to be the greatestBlown Away, Spirited Away is an soul soothing ghost full journey, which all starts with a shortcut route.an movie with sheer ecstatic screenplay and wonderfully written and perfectly depicted. make no mistake this movie has to be the greatest anime of all time,a movie with complete perfection drives it viewers and keeps them engage the movie time Expand
alejandro970Feb 26, 2017
The biggest opus of Hayao Miyazaki. A dazzling experience with some taste to Alice in Wonderland with uncanny characters. A rare gem that deserves seen once and again.
gOct 8, 2016
One of the first films to have outstanding animation like any other films like Finding Nemo, Treasure Planet and others but Spirited Away is still two dimensional but everybody will know there are three dimensional graphics that has beenOne of the first films to have outstanding animation like any other films like Finding Nemo, Treasure Planet and others but Spirited Away is still two dimensional but everybody will know there are three dimensional graphics that has been hidden inside two dimensional if Miyazaki doesn't like showing surreal three dimensional. Expand
Aidan404Feb 8, 2017
Extremely addictive to watch. A true masterpiece, with a lesson. This movie is one of those anime movies that represents the good spirit of anime, and made them gloom to the world.
DiogoOliveiraNov 27, 2017
ATEMPORAL, melhor animação já feita, tocante, emocionante, singela, inrestaurável, irretocável, uma lição de cinematografia, um tapa na cara de quem acha que só existe PIXAR, Disney. Studio Ghibli esta dando aula de como se faz animação,ATEMPORAL, melhor animação já feita, tocante, emocionante, singela, inrestaurável, irretocável, uma lição de cinematografia, um tapa na cara de quem acha que só existe PIXAR, Disney. Studio Ghibli esta dando aula de como se faz animação, minha total admiração. Expand
xDlleoSep 29, 2017
O melhor filme de animação de todos os tempos. Emocionante, brilhante e excepcionalmente contagiante, sem dúvida o melhor filme de animação do milênio!
Edwin64dsOct 29, 2017
Una película excelente que vivirá por siempre, la historia es impredecible, la música es de lo mejor, y te deja una sensación imposible de olvidar, se lo recomiendo.
AginagalaNov 5, 2017
Probably one of my favorite films of all time. I remember watching this as a kid and falling in love with it only to watch it again and again now and still enjoying every minute of it every single time.
ridigitalmediaNov 23, 2017
Spirited Away is one animation movie really stands out the crowd. The director Hayao Miyazaki's imagination and story telling with signature visual sequence of flying scene is phenomenal. The sky and cloud is something he always depict. He isSpirited Away is one animation movie really stands out the crowd. The director Hayao Miyazaki's imagination and story telling with signature visual sequence of flying scene is phenomenal. The sky and cloud is something he always depict. He is really detailed in depicting small scenes. Expand