Spirited Away

9.0

1. AndyE.
    Oct 26, 2003
    I dont know who could rate this movie above a 60. The whole thing was S-T-U-P-I-D.
  2. Louis'sbrother
    Mar 21, 2007
    With all due respect to those who liked it, WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!, and I mean ever! I don't know what the creators of this movie were on when they made this movie. Had the minimum not been 0, I'd give it -100,000,000! The story makes absolutely no sense, the characters are just stupid, and the acting is terrible. DO not watch it at all!
  3. LeoB.
    Feb 12, 2003
    Too bad, boring and disgusting.
  4. MaurícioG.
    Apr 30, 2003
    What the f*** is the matter with you. The movie is good and inovative, but seems to me like you've never seen any other anime in your lives. I would've given a higher score, but since you're apparently all on dope, I had to give it a 0 just to counterbalance. There are many flaws in logic in this film, and many forced up stuff. But check where is Matrix compared to this one What the f*** is the matter with you. The movie is good and inovative, but seems to me like you've never seen any other anime in your lives. I would've given a higher score, but since you're apparently all on dope, I had to give it a 0 just to counterbalance. There are many flaws in logic in this film, and many forced up stuff. But check where is Matrix compared to this one here in metacritic. You guys are so sheepish. Expand
  5. LeventeS.
    Jun 25, 2009
    Despite impressive visuals and halfway decent characters Spirited Away suffers tremendously from a plot so hair-brained and juvenile that it undermines everything good about the movie. Why is it, in Miyazaki films, that evil characters, once neutralized will suddenly join the hero's side and become all helpful? Why is there no treachery? No deceit? Does nobody in this crazy fantasy Despite impressive visuals and halfway decent characters Spirited Away suffers tremendously from a plot so hair-brained and juvenile that it undermines everything good about the movie. Why is it, in Miyazaki films, that evil characters, once neutralized will suddenly join the hero's side and become all helpful? Why is there no treachery? No deceit? Does nobody in this crazy fantasy world have principles? Why does the villain's twin wear identical clothes? Why are stairs no longer a reliable method of vertical transport? Why does the villain give a final test before honouring her word, rather than be, say, villainous and betray someone? These are all massive problems, and though there are probably more, I hate them so much I can't even remember them. This movie is terrible and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone older than five (though said five year old may wet his pants and have nightmares about it). Expand
  6. ElvisS.
    Oct 6, 2002
    Unbelievable animation... unfortunately, I hated this movie... I give this movie the finger cuz it weirded me out and freaked me out. I don't know about these weird freaking movies. 99? These critics are all jumping on some Disney bandwagon... just like all those Angels fans in Anaheim.
  7. May 30, 2016
    An over the top, messy, crazy, incoherent, poorly structured, japanese take on ''Alice in Wonderland''
    Except the beautiful animation (like with every Miyazaki film) there really is nothing here for me to like
  8. LeoB.
    Feb 12, 2003
    Too bad, boring and disgusting.
  9. LouisH.
    Mar 22, 2007
    I can't believe how anyone could possibly like this movie. It's just like a Japanese anime version of "Alice in Wonderland", but 100X worse! I had no clue what this scrap-on-screen was even about, and I am glad, because I would have fried my brain if I knew! Absoulute 0.
  10. Death
    Jan 16, 2004
    I love and I mean LOVE animes, but this one just sucked. I fell asleep.....twice. If you want to see a great anime watch Akira. May Death find you quickly.
  11. NotPaidOff
    May 3, 2004
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's a hodge podge of incoherent babble justified by all these so called comparisons by so-called reviewers. I gave it 1 star only cause it had Disney on it. I guess hell has frozen over.
  12. LineaK.
    Jun 10, 2005
    It was the worst movie I have ever seen. Terrible animation combined with a senseless plot made it hard to sit through to the end.
  13. KJH
    Jun 22, 2010
    When I saw the movie, it was way too scary. It was more of a nightmare than a movie.
  14. JezabellD.
    Jan 3, 2004
    FOR ALL YOU FREAKS OUT THERE!!! This movie was very good and also very weird. I found myself staring off and thinking about the movie 20 minutes after the movie was done. I do have one question though, why did Haku (in the dragon form) snap at the little girl and also he wasnt acting like he knew her..?? OH! and whats the deal with the titanic slam? Titanic really happend, there is a huge FOR ALL YOU FREAKS OUT THERE!!! This movie was very good and also very weird. I found myself staring off and thinking about the movie 20 minutes after the movie was done. I do have one question though, why did Haku (in the dragon form) snap at the little girl and also he wasnt acting like he knew her..?? OH! and whats the deal with the titanic slam? Titanic really happend, there is a huge F**** difference between real and fake...get it right B****! People acctually died, no one died in "spirited away!" Expand
  15. TrentY.
    May 20, 2004
    Boring, dull, and almost incomprehensible. This film is "joyous" only for those who can sit throught the inane dialogue and pokemon-esque cartooning.
  16. JohnnnieP.
    Jun 21, 2006
    I have not seen one review that addresses the exact themes that are woven into the film, throughout. remember the wolf in little red riding hood. all dressed up with nowhere to go, waiting for a free meal in grandmas bed well.
  17. jennys.
    Feb 17, 2005
    Hey, it was alright. But the thing was most of the stuff weren't necessary and the spirit stuff was way too much. i was dissapointed.
  18. ReadThis
    Nov 24, 2004
    It was terrible and needs work on the characters, Haku and Sen saw each other 3 times and were ready to make out near the end!!!!!!! Noface needed help with his 'uh uh' sounds, what are they trying to teach kids?
  19. Apr 5, 2016
    I appreciate the monumental effort that went into this movie. It's the kind of movie where, after watching it, you spend the next afternoon reading everything you can possibly get your hands on to better understand each and every detail.

However, it so blatantly and bluntly denounces "greed" that it loses all credibility. I know, it's meant for children. But the message seems to be if you have, want, or somehow acquire ANY money, ever, you're evil.

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.