Spirited Away

9.0

1. Nov 28, 2010
    Best animated movie from all times with an original fantasy nice story, a movie for all family , i recommend ''walking castle'' from same director.
  2. Nov 17, 2012
    The only non-English animated film to win an Oscar, Hayao Miyazaki's modern day fairytale plays like poetry on film, spinning the tale of Chihiro, a ten-year-old girl who wanders into a world on fanciful creatures. Distributed here in the states by Disney (because it was better than any animated film they'd put out in a while), Spirited Away proved to be a beautiful film for any age,The only non-English animated film to win an Oscar, Hayao Miyazaki's modern day fairytale plays like poetry on film, spinning the tale of Chihiro, a ten-year-old girl who wanders into a world on fanciful creatures. Distributed here in the states by Disney (because it was better than any animated film they'd put out in a while), Spirited Away proved to be a beautiful film for any age, without even being in 3-D. Who woulda thought? Expand
  3. Feb 20, 2011
    Unbelievable movie. The artwork was by far the most beautiful I've ever seen. The story is heart-warming and tear-jerking. Incredibly imaginative and great character development. If you don't like this movie you should kill yourself.
  4. Apr 22, 2011
    Another Miyazaki classic that is both enchanting and innovative. Pros: Visually and imaginatively breathtaking. Cons: It's sure to scare the pants off of its younger demographic with some nightmarish imagery.
  5. May 25, 2012
    I'm not a fan of anime movies but this is something special. The script is very amazing and quite intriguing. Emotionally, I can connect to them and I love the fact that the story gets deeper and deeper and deeper until I get the whole idea. Hayao Miyazaki once again proved to us that he is the master of Japanese animation........
  6. Feb 10, 2012
    Spirited Away is a fantastic film that deserves all the high ratings and attention it gets. The story sucks you in, and the animation is excellent. Characters are vivid and well thought-out. It's easily one of the best animated films ever to grace the movie industry, let alone the planet.
  7. Sep 5, 2011
    Spirited Away is a deep and memorable Japanese masterpiece. The animation is some of the best that has ever come out of Japan, the characters are very original and the story unique. This is a movie that must be watched several times to discover its depth and originality. Highly Recommended.
  8. Jan 13, 2012
    I watched the japanese version which was amazing. Miyazaki is a grand-master of animation. Every detail is nicely done and very beautiful. I would give the disney version 2 points less because I didn't like the english synchronisation at all. Much better to watch it in japanese, with subtitles.
  9. Feb 4, 2012
    I have taken the time to read the reviews of users who gave it lower than a '3' and their views baffle me. Spirited Away is the best animated films I have seen since Lion King. It is one of my favorite films from a Studio that always creates a magical and wonderful experience. The animation is utterly sublime for 2001. The Characters are so complex yet simple that it makes them enthrallingI have taken the time to read the reviews of users who gave it lower than a '3' and their views baffle me. Spirited Away is the best animated films I have seen since Lion King. It is one of my favorite films from a Studio that always creates a magical and wonderful experience. The animation is utterly sublime for 2001. The Characters are so complex yet simple that it makes them enthralling to both kids and adults. The voice acting is tremendous, both the Japanese and English dub. The story is beautifully unique, which is rare in a Studio Ghibli film which often re-tell classics. Whoever said it is like Alice in wonderland is wrong. The story is an eloquent and beautiful creation.

There is so much I could say about this film, it is simply one of the greatest animated films to be made. Exactly why it is the only non-american film to win an Oscar for best animated picture. It shows that not only Disney and Pixar can animate, but Japan and Studio Ghibli have been doing it since before Pixar was born.
  10. Dec 9, 2011
    Being a fan of Japanese animations since a very young age, I was expecting to be really entertained by "Spirited Away". But Hayao Miyazaki surpassed my highest expectations by leading me into a such breathtaking, exciting and unforgettable tale of friendship and bravery. Well done!
  11. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome movie and anyone who says otherwise is either blind, a communist, or hates puppies. No movie has effected me this much since Toy Story. Love it
  12. Nov 10, 2011
    this movie got me through both middle and high school. words cannot express how much this film has help me over the years. i must have seen it over 50 times by now lol. +solid visuals
    +solid voice acting
  13. Dec 8, 2011
    In the movie Spirited Away, we are transported into one of director Hayao Miyazakiâ
  14. May 25, 2013
    In a hacky, derivative, and sequel-filled world, Spirited Away is a stunningly original masterpiece that is rarely seen, and sets new standards for animation as an art form.
  15. Jan 9, 2012
    Not much to say. Fantastic movie, the best cartoon movie of all time by far and a masterpiece in cinema's history. Once again Miyazaki made a memorable movie.
  16. Jan 18, 2012
    Probably one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen - everything from the amazingly detailed world to the wonderful characters are perfect. Miyazaki manages to bring out the true potential of anime, establishing an amazing story and keeping everything in the movie relevant to it. I'm not a hardcore anime or manga fan, I've only read a few books and watched a few shows. When I firstProbably one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen - everything from the amazingly detailed world to the wonderful characters are perfect. Miyazaki manages to bring out the true potential of anime, establishing an amazing story and keeping everything in the movie relevant to it. I'm not a hardcore anime or manga fan, I've only read a few books and watched a few shows. When I first heard about this movie from a few friends, I was quite skeptical - till I finally watched it. Even though it was slightly long compared to an average movie, I don't regret a single second of watching it. The only bad part about it was that it ended.

I definitely recommend this movie to any age. If you're not an anime fan or slightly skeptical about the idea of watching the movie, I urge you to do it - you won't be disappointed. Perfect 10/10.
  17. Feb 2, 2012
    It's a great movie to watch. I love the scene in the train with no face, that one touches me (really). Others hate it because in their mind anime are like naruto or others, but it's not.
  18. Feb 1, 2013
    Prepare yourself for a magical journey in SPIRITED AWAY, the acclaimed Japanese animation by renown director Hayao Miyazaki. Chihiro finds herself lost in the spirit world after her parents are transformed into pigs by a malevolent witch, and she must gather her strength and courage if she hopes to save them! SPIRITED AWAY transports us to a fantasy world that is filled with strange andPrepare yourself for a magical journey in SPIRITED AWAY, the acclaimed Japanese animation by renown director Hayao Miyazaki. Chihiro finds herself lost in the spirit world after her parents are transformed into pigs by a malevolent witch, and she must gather her strength and courage if she hopes to save them! SPIRITED AWAY transports us to a fantasy world that is filled with strange and magnificent creatures who are brought to life through Miyazaki's captivating animated style. Chihiro's journey is a timeless story of self-discovery and the coming of age, where a young girl first discovers love and compassion by acting outside herself. Miyazaki uses traditional storytelling techniques to paint a unique new fairy tale that children of all ages can relate to, while keeping with its Japanese origins. The sometimes horrifying creatures that Chihiro encounters each represent a stage of childhood that she must overcome, and bring with them valuable lessons that she will use in her budding adolescence. SPIRITED AWAY provides childlike wonder for kids and adults alike, and is a masterpiece of modern animation. -Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  19. May 17, 2012
    Spirited Away is a mindblowing, genuine and compelling experience. The themes of loss, adolescence, good and evil leaves a certain feeling lingering all the way through the ending credits. What I like most about this movie is that it's genuinely japanese. It's proud in a way that is not **** It incorporates japanese culture, sense for details, scenery and conversation in a way that is verySpirited Away is a mindblowing, genuine and compelling experience. The themes of loss, adolescence, good and evil leaves a certain feeling lingering all the way through the ending credits. What I like most about this movie is that it's genuinely japanese. It's proud in a way that is not **** It incorporates japanese culture, sense for details, scenery and conversation in a way that is very much graspable for westerners unexperienced with japanese culture. The plot contains suggestive elements which makes it a pleasure to watch over, and over again. This is the first Ghibli I experienced and I can't help but compare how close other animes make me feel in contrast to this picture, as if it were the ultimate of animated movies. Expand
  20. Sep 11, 2014
    A truly beautiful piece of cinema. This film should appeal to people beyond the realms of those who are already a fan of Japanese animation and easily stands alone as a fantastic animated children's film, complete with a beautiful score, a touching story, a fantastically avant garde artistic direction, a rather obscure look in to Japanese folklore and culture and many strong moralA truly beautiful piece of cinema. This film should appeal to people beyond the realms of those who are already a fan of Japanese animation and easily stands alone as a fantastic animated children's film, complete with a beautiful score, a touching story, a fantastically avant garde artistic direction, a rather obscure look in to Japanese folklore and culture and many strong moral undertones throughout. Expand
  21. Feb 11, 2013
    "Spirited Away" is the mountain high, the kind of movie we all wish to be able to make. The honest sensibility, gentle and simple storytelling that reincarnates on-the-fly into states of being beyond imagination-all of that supported by amazing yet nostalgic hand-drawn animation constitute one of the most important aesthetic achievements of the 21-th century.
  22. Sep 12, 2013
    At first I was skeptical about watching a movie with a 10 year old girl as the protagonist, but I'm glad I did watch it, it was truly a great movie...
  23. Nov 20, 2013
    Beautifully drawn and beautifully scored. Spirited Away is intriguing and innovative and can definitely stand strong not only in the animated film genre but against all films in general. It's plainly a must see.
  24. Apr 7, 2015
    The most original film I have ever seen, 'Spirited Away' is a beautiful animation that truly delivers unique and memorable characters, a wondrous animation style and a plethora of themes that are still relevant to this day.
  25. Jan 2, 2014
    O mundo de Chihiro fantásticamente fabuloso, com seus seres exóticas, uma história fascinante e uma trilha sonora de arrancar suspiros, um dos melhores de Miyazaki.
  26. Jul 23, 2013
    An easy 10/10. Spirited Away is not only my favorite anitmated/anime movie, but is one of my favorite movies of all time. A work of art and simply a masterpiece that makes me smile and happy everytime I watch it. Everything is beautiful about this movie, from the story, to the music, rightdown to the artwork itself. I mean the attention to detail in this movie is quite amazing. Thanks toAn easy 10/10. Spirited Away is not only my favorite anitmated/anime movie, but is one of my favorite movies of all time. A work of art and simply a masterpiece that makes me smile and happy everytime I watch it. Everything is beautiful about this movie, from the story, to the music, rightdown to the artwork itself. I mean the attention to detail in this movie is quite amazing. Thanks to the wonderful and brilliant mind of Hayao Miyazaki, this beautiful art work of a film will forever hold a special place in my heart. Expand
  27. Dec 23, 2014
    I will give this anime credit for being visually stunning and deeply creative. But, visuals aside the plot is really bland and very bare. Lots of folklore references to keep the geeky entertained, lots of bright colors and weird creatures for the kiddies, and a simple enough story for the "mom and dads" to enjoy.

However, the movie is just to overpraised for what it is. A colorful

However, the movie is just to overpraised for what it is. A colorful simple folktale.

If it wasn't for the notoriety this movie has in the anime community, I might have been more lenient. But this movie is clearly riding on Studio Ghibli's reputation and doing everything it can to look and act the part. Which is a shame as it clearly could have been allot more if released from Ghibli's formulaic storytelling.

Overall:
    Spirited Away is still charming and fun to watch. But don't expect some marvel in storytelling. Just expect a Studio Ghibli film. In that regard it succeeds in every category.
  28. Jan 12, 2013
    Fantastic movie. Hayao Miyazaki's true masterpiece. Fruitful and exciting from beginning to end. An array of creative characters and beautiful music to accompany it.
  29. Jan 6, 2013
    A wondrous childhood pleasure for all the senses. The darkness becomes a fever dream that you enjoy in vivid detail. The characters keep the movie going through the unique responses. It is a great coming of age/ adventure movie.
  30. Jan 19, 2013
    Words cannot describe the visual designs and art direction of this amazing film. Hayao Miyazaki has made a film with an impressive plot followed by characters who he (unsurprisingly) manages to develop deeply. I would highly recommend this film to any fans of animation, and even to adults out there. This has the making of one of the best animated spectacles of the century.

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.