Walt Disney Studios | Release Date: September 20, 2002
Universal acclaim based on 1388 Ratings
1,280
Watch Now
NAQURATORApr 2, 2014
A must watch for every age, every country and every race, everyone should have seen this movie, it's llike no other. Ghibli made a monumental piece of art here. I remember watching this as a kid and being blown away, if you have kids, showA must watch for every age, every country and every race, everyone should have seen this movie, it's llike no other. Ghibli made a monumental piece of art here. I remember watching this as a kid and being blown away, if you have kids, show them this movie!!!!! and as an adult I could watch it a million more times, really fantastic! full of emotions, fantasy warmth and mystery this is probably the best drawn movie I'll ever see. Time and time again it takes me to another world, romantic/art at it's best, total loss of reality for 2 hours. I could go on forever, but really just watch it your self, even if you're 99 years old it won't dissapoin you!!!

Just my opinion
Zeus99Apr 24, 2014
Magical, creative, fantastical, I just cannot imagine why or how you could dislike this film....It was good when i was a child and it remains my favorite movie as an adult
Munck96May 12, 2014
I remember seeing this movie as only a kid. It had been around for an enough amount of time for it to be broad-casted on TV, and I remember thinking that this movie was just something I dreamed about.
This film is absolutely one of the best
This film is absolutely one of the best I have ever seen. It is a misconception to just call this a film or a movie, this is an actual work of art performed by Hayao Miyazaki. Without a doubt, I will recommend this film to anyone at any age. An easy 10/10.
KiaraFNSJul 26, 2015
This movie was my very introduction to anime. Featuring an intricate and lovely plot, great characters and smooth drawing.
That aside, the movie can bring joy and fun to all ages.
YewSpell8314Jun 26, 2014
"Spirited Away" is simply the greatest animated film my eyes have ever laid on. It flawlessly blends comedy, mystery, fantasy and drama into something unbelievably good and satisfactory. Although it is considered a family film, I love the"Spirited Away" is simply the greatest animated film my eyes have ever laid on. It flawlessly blends comedy, mystery, fantasy and drama into something unbelievably good and satisfactory. Although it is considered a family film, I love the moments of bitter-sweetness and melancholy writer/director Hayao Miyazaki has put into his masterpiece. And the amount of creativity in "Spirited Away" can not be put into words. A flawlessly executed film it is. Expand
OpinionatedGuyDec 3, 2014
Confession time: I have never seen a Studio Ghibli movie until last week. That first Studio Ghibil movie is the one that made them famous. You guess it right, it’s Spirited Away.

The hype surrounding Spirited Away does not disappoint me.

The hype surrounding Spirited Away does not disappoint me. It’s no wonder why most people love it so much. This is the best animated movie I have ever seen since The Lion King.

The animation style in this movie is so beautiful to watch. This is the beauty of 2D animation that 3D animation cannot capture.

I watched this movie on English dub but I liked how the dubbed voices do not irritate me. The voice actors did a good job dubbing the characters that I believe them as Japanese people speaking English. It does not feel dubbed at all to be honest. I liked how their voices did not go out of sync of the characters speaking.

The plot was great from start to finish. I liked how Chihiro/Sen is used as an audience surrogate as I am confused and curious just like her.

The feel of this movie gave me the Alice in Wonderland vibes, which it’s the best part of the entire movie for me.

The direction from Hayao Miyazaki is brilliant in this movie. He cares about even the littlest of details in this movie. He put all of his huge effort into directing this movie. It’s no wonder why so many people praise him so much.

Spirited Away is the best animation movie since The Lion King thanks to its beautiful animation style, a great plot, a nice Alice in Wonderland vibes and the direction from Hayao Miyazaki.
gus_jahnAug 5, 2014
Simply magical. This has to be one of the most enchanting and nostalgic movies ever made. Spirited away submerges you on a journey which fills you with awe. The journey is filled with wise quotes and characters that you care about. The musicSimply magical. This has to be one of the most enchanting and nostalgic movies ever made. Spirited away submerges you on a journey which fills you with awe. The journey is filled with wise quotes and characters that you care about. The music was fantastic, the animation was superb, the story line, out of this world. Expand
f3l1p3Sep 9, 2014
A Viagem de Chihiro é espetacular. O filme é incrível, o enredo e a história são impecáveis, tem algumas coisas bizarras, o que torna o filme um pouco engraçado, e ainda há valor nesse filme. Uma essência do filme.
mgweeksSep 23, 2014
In case I say anything negative, let me start with Amazing! I first saw this movie when my daughter was very young. I didn't buy it for her, I bought it for me! I disagree with anyone who thinks of it as just a movie for children. From theIn case I say anything negative, let me start with Amazing! I first saw this movie when my daughter was very young. I didn't buy it for her, I bought it for me! I disagree with anyone who thinks of it as just a movie for children. From the beginning, I could see my daughter in the character of Chihiro (Sen) so vividly that it tore me apart to feel her terror and confusion. Then to see her coming to terms with her new environment and struggle to regain her identity gave me a sense of pride. I see all this in my daughter as she has grown up and learned to deal with life. I finally let her see the movie and it's one of her favorites as well. I agree with those who talk about how real the characters are and how the emotions and story line are portrayed in such a beautiful fashion. I think this movie is anything but predictable. Perhaps those who don't understand it may be too used to simplistic modern movie fare where everything is handed to you on a platter. Spirited Away can be approached on many levels which, to me, just made it all the more interesting and enjoyable. I'd have to say it is definitely one of my favorite movies. Expand
BethesdaSep 26, 2014
I love this movie, it is classic and brilliant, I remember watching it all the time as a kid. one of the best movies ever created and will always be so.
NerdConsultantDec 12, 2014
this film is a masterpiece and should be on every list of films to see before you die. the animation is gorgeous, the voice actors do an amazing job and the plot is both original, heartfelt and epic. if miyazaki hadn't received the oscar itthis film is a masterpiece and should be on every list of films to see before you die. the animation is gorgeous, the voice actors do an amazing job and the plot is both original, heartfelt and epic. if miyazaki hadn't received the oscar it would have been a travesty and it was this film that made him my favourite director Expand
papeadojhonAug 21, 2016
Spirited Away is undeniably eccentric, but, even that way, it's hard to find a flaw in one of the most thoughtful, imaginative, extremely interesting and entertaining movies I've seen.
Ali_MarashianNov 20, 2014
a gripping Alice in Wonderland-like movie, Spirited away is by far Hayao Miyazaki's best masterpiece. the movie was so moving and deep that I couldn't stop my mind analysing it all day! about alienation,if Chihiro's name(as a symbol ofa gripping Alice in Wonderland-like movie, Spirited away is by far Hayao Miyazaki's best masterpiece. the movie was so moving and deep that I couldn't stop my mind analysing it all day! about alienation,if Chihiro's name(as a symbol of identity)slips her mind,she won't find the way home.and about Yubaba as a symbol of Capitalism and her twin sister Zeniba in front of her. and my favourite character No face as a symbol of life, which likes those who are not greedy and emotions are relations are more important to them. and a pure love between Chihiro and Hako. There are many other things to think about which are still mysterious and this is how the movie takes you.In my opinion, It's the best animation of all time. Some of you may find this complexity of the story irritating, But believe me, When you realise the purpose of the plot, you can't deny how strong and powerful Hayao Miyazaki is. Expand
andrebarrosoJan 3, 2015
The first time I watched Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", I was 4. I admit that I hated it completely. Couldn't sleep for weeks, and I promised myself that I would never watch an anime ever again. I fulfilled that promise for 11 years, untilThe first time I watched Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", I was 4. I admit that I hated it completely. Couldn't sleep for weeks, and I promised myself that I would never watch an anime ever again. I fulfilled that promise for 11 years, until my friends convinced me to watch the movie again. It was a complete different experience.
With careful drawings and a marvelous screenplay, Miyazaki teaches us all kinds of social lessons. A movie that should not be ignored. Never.
DokaluJun 30, 2015
Ok, hands down to the best animated movie I have seen in my entire life. This is one of those real gems that is capable of taking you out of this world and transport you to a whole new reality, all through simple drawings. It is beautiful,Ok, hands down to the best animated movie I have seen in my entire life. This is one of those real gems that is capable of taking you out of this world and transport you to a whole new reality, all through simple drawings. It is beautiful, astonishing, very original, wonderful, imaginative, sweet, and a simple perfect masterpiece from one of the best filmmakers of our era. Expand
Arthur_S_PoeFeb 11, 2015
Chihiro was actually my first with Hayao Miyazaki, the great anime director that put us through so much joy with his works. Watching it at a very young age, I was certainly a little confused by the plot, not being to comprehend it fully, asChihiro was actually my first with Hayao Miyazaki, the great anime director that put us through so much joy with his works. Watching it at a very young age, I was certainly a little confused by the plot, not being to comprehend it fully, as it is quite symbolic and profound. But, after re-watching it several years later, I can only say that this certainly is Miyazaki's best work.

It offers everything - a brilliant story, that precise Miyazaki-specific animation we all love, a profoundly magical atmosphere, meaningful symbolism and a an unforgettable experience that will draw you into a magical world where you can enjoy the full potential of human imagination. Miyazaki truly is a master and 'Spirited Away' truly is a master-piece in every aspect.

The topics it analyzes through it's symbolism are practically endless and you can find a series of interesting topics for you to analyze and debate. There is nothing you can actually complain about this magical world, an innocent adventure that defies boundaries in such a manner that could only be narrated through the story of a child. As it is the case with almost all of Miyazaki's characters, they are exceptionally likable and you will certainly grow fond of them as you watch the movie.

To conclude, 'Spirited Away' is sure to amaze you in every aspect and it is certainly a movie that will both bring out that specific nostalgia and make you want to watch it again and again.
itchipodOct 2, 2016
Still one of the best animated movies of all time. Very nostalgic, engaging and not one scene will bore you. I appreciate how Sen solver her problems all the way.
VinceRocks123Apr 19, 2015
A masterpiece a monumental landmark for the fields of animation,

A masterpiece a monumental landmark for the fields of animation,

a screen gem, its an amazing tale about the triumph of the human spirit, beautifully well-paced, and perfectly written and carefully animated, its a rare power within the screen that is resurrected with these amazing elements that leaves a beautiful feeling with the entire family, a film about courage against the odds through the eyes of a young girl spirited away into a bizarre fantasy world never imagined from the mind of animation pioneer Hayao Miyazaki

An animation that by the time you watch it you will never forget, wonderful work of art and genuinely valuable, I'm glad to have seen this film this one was so imaginative hilarious, suspenseful, and compelling, that I'm sure I will never forget and tend to watch it over and over again maybe one day I'll recommend it to my children.
Epik_NinnjaMay 25, 2015
Spirited Away is an imaginitve movie about a young girl who is separated from her parents and ends up in a mystical world that crosses over with her own. It's one of my favorite animated movies due to its memorable characters and interestingSpirited Away is an imaginitve movie about a young girl who is separated from her parents and ends up in a mystical world that crosses over with her own. It's one of my favorite animated movies due to its memorable characters and interesting story, with themes of loss and finding one's self. It's movies like this that make a Japanese movie producer famous over seas. This is a movie that adults can enjoy as well as kids. Expand
BoogeeFilmGuyAug 8, 2015
In my opinion, to have a good film, you need the balance of a good story, characters that audiences can relate to and good, strong (acting) performances, as well as all the pretty pictures. Spirited Away has the perfect balance of all of thatIn my opinion, to have a good film, you need the balance of a good story, characters that audiences can relate to and good, strong (acting) performances, as well as all the pretty pictures. Spirited Away has the perfect balance of all of that combined. Its a visually stunning experience that I won't soon forget. I was walking around in a DVD rental store when I saw a strange looking film in the kids section. I picked it up and said, "Hey, why not? If it sucks, I can at least laugh at it!" the word sucks will not be used anymore in this review, just to clarify. Anyway, I slapped it into the DVD player, and clicked play. While the Studio Ghibli logo was running, I looked at the back and saw "One of the greatest animated films ever made."- John Lasseter. This made me even more curious. Anyway, I watched the film, and it all went so fast. When it finished, I was left drooling for more. This is my response every time I watch this film. I feel as though its a film everyone should watch. Miyazaki's magnum opus, in my personal opinion.
Easily gets a 10/10. One of my favourite movies.
AriseAndBeAug 7, 2015
One of my favourite things about this movie is the amazing amount of character development that Chihiro goes through as the story progresses. She really grows from this bratty kid to a confident and loving girl which not many films haveOne of my favourite things about this movie is the amazing amount of character development that Chihiro goes through as the story progresses. She really grows from this bratty kid to a confident and loving girl which not many films have accomplished. The visuals of course are stunning and the soundtrack ranks as one of the best out of all Ghibli's movies in my opinion. It is an almost perfect movie and it definitely deserved that Academy Award. Expand
UniqueUsernameJan 29, 2016
I rarely watch anime, but since I heard such great things about this movie, I decided to check it out, and it was a mesmerizing experience. This movie exceeded my expectations in every way. Brilliant story, amazing characters, wonderfulI rarely watch anime, but since I heard such great things about this movie, I decided to check it out, and it was a mesmerizing experience. This movie exceeded my expectations in every way. Brilliant story, amazing characters, wonderful visuals, and beautiful music. The life lessons and symbolism found in the film was a magnificent touch. No person can exceed Hayao Miyazaki's ability to make you feel inside his world, and feel that everything that is happening is natural. It doesn't feel as if you're watching drawings move around, voiced by voice actors, it feels as if you're spectating this natural and realistic world, just like Chihiro is. I never knew an animated movie could feel so real, and it truly does blow me away. This movie is a masterpiece. Whenever you are into anime or not, this is a must-see. Expand
BeThatCatNov 3, 2015
Love it. I am probably the epitome of the meaning of the word "otaku" and when I say Studio Ghibli outdid themselves with this movie I totally mean it. The only reason I haven't given it a ten is because I have seen better, (in my opinion).
BrieGNov 9, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Many people believe that cartoons are strictly made for children. However there are plenty of films out there that inspire child-like imagination that are not only for the young ones but also for the young of heart. This cues in for the Fantasy/Mystery genre animated feature, Spirited Away, that is directed by Academy award winning animator and director Hayao Miyazaki.

Originally aired in 2001, Spirited Away has an original plot line that includes many fun bends and turns plus a climax that will leave the majority of its audience overcome with emotion. The movie itself seems to be based in the modern era until a sudden twist of events gets the protagonist thrown into a bizarre situation that she has to overcome with the help of her acquired friends.

The cast for the english version of the film include voice actors Daveigh Chase, Suzanne Pleshette, and Jason Marsden who play as Chihiro the protagonist, Yubaba the antagonistic owner of the hot springs, and servant boy Haku, respectively. The development seen in all the characters throughout the movie is intensely delightful and it feels as though viewers truly get to know the story as if they themselves were a part of the original work.

Not only is the plot a masterpiece, but the detail including the soundtrack with the sound effects put into the animation is enough reason to watch this flick. The music, composed by artist Joe Hisaishi, grips viewers with its beautiful symphonies from the orchestra and accompaniment of the piano. The english translation flows so effortlessly that, if not for the hand drawn style of Miyazaki, it would have been difficult to tell that the original version was made in a Japanese format beforehand.

Since it is the year 2015, many people may say that this flick is severely outdated especially because of the near 14 year gap from the day it was created. Although the clever way the story was made, makes time appear irrelevant especially if one takes the time to look at the timeline that Miyazaki set up for his movies and how each progresses from the next. If you are looking for an adventure that helps open the mind to the wonderful and bizarre then Spirited Away is definitely recommended for people of all ages!
CharlieBetterIsDec 24, 2015
A Viagem de Chihiro é um dos melhores filmes que eu já vi. Um dos pontos altos da cinematografia oriental! Uma animação espetacular que tem um roteiro impecável e uma história linda, cativante e instigante. Esse filme consegue agradar aA Viagem de Chihiro é um dos melhores filmes que eu já vi. Um dos pontos altos da cinematografia oriental! Uma animação espetacular que tem um roteiro impecável e uma história linda, cativante e instigante. Esse filme consegue agradar a (quase) todos. Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 9, 2016
Spirited Away is a well-worth applause to Disney for translating a Japanese movie to an English movie making it enjoyable and not off-track with different languages.
xenogamer21Jan 21, 2016
I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH!!! The first time i saw this was on cartoon network when i was little, and i instantly fell in love with it. The fact that a little girl goes off into the spirit world was just......WOW!!!
GaoshangSandyFeb 23, 2016
Beguiling and breathtakingly crafted, one of the best animation creators living today, Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki has done it again by creating another master piece after his well-known film Princess Mononoke with his new animationBeguiling and breathtakingly crafted, one of the best animation creators living today, Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki has done it again by creating another master piece after his well-known film Princess Mononoke with his new animation Spirited Away. This animation Spirited Away conveys its audience to another realm and universe to edify us, on how to find our true selves.
As breath-taking as it is, this animation is often compared to an animation we all know, “Alice in Wonderland”. This animation revolves around a sullen, whinny ten year old girl named Chihiro who wanders to a different realm of spirits, gods and mysterious creatures. Chihiro enters the realm when she flees after seeing her parents turn into pigs after they had devoured some spirit food they had randomly found in an abandoned town. As she runs away from all the bizarre events happening, she meets her first friend, Haku (a river god) who later helps her find a job at the Bath house. It is important to keep in mind that the bath house is the main setting for this animation, therefore it holds a lot of significances of how Chihiro finds her true self.
Working in the bath house and having to lose her name “Chihiro” to Yubaba (the spirit owner of the bath house), Chihiro has to take on a new moniker of “Sen” and learn how to not be a jackanapes girl she used to be when her parents was there to spoil her. Being “Sen” Chihiro does not forget her real name, therefore she is not like Haku who does not remember his name, as a result of forgetting his name, he is under the control of Yubaba making himself who he really is not.
One of the messages that Hayao Miyazaki wanted us to get out of the animation itself is never forget your identity, who you are or you will become someone who you aren’t like Haku. Hayao Miyazaki also uses the Bath house as a symbol of the Japanese identity so that the Japanese people do not forget their history and who they are. Another Message that we get from this animation is greed. In this animation we see many forms of greed but Chihiro never showed any greed and at the end, she was better off than those who were greedy in the animation.
I want to say that this is by far this is one of the best animations created. Why? The reason is how this film was made. Instead of using and relying on computers and technology to help draw the frames of the animation, Hayao Miyazaki draws each and every one of the thousand frames there is by hand. It is also amazing how the Japanese voice actors Miyu Irino (Haku), Rumi Hiiragi (Chihiro), Mari Natsuki (Yubaba and Zeniba) and Bunta Sugawara (Kamaji) can put the liveness into this animation. To record animations, it takes a lot of skills. Why? Because the cast has to be able to match the characters mouthing with their vocals to make it seem as if the characters are actually talking. In general, the Japanese cast does an amazing job by portraying their emotions and vocals into these characters therefore, this animation to me was one of the many animations that I found amusing and enchanting.
In Most of his animations, Hayao Miyazaki focuses on the theme spirituality. As this animation Spirited Away progresses, we as the audience may get enchanted into this realm along with Chihiro and be able to find our true selves. Through Spirited Away Hayao Miyazaki provides his audience with a light that will help us guide our way to find our true selves through the dark. By finding our true selves, we can fully understand our true identity, and open the doors to self-acceptance.
FuturedirectorSep 19, 2016
Spirited Away's victory on the Academy Awards isn't casualty: Animation, storytelling, and characters couldn't be more complex and surprisingly impressive. Hayao Miyazaki's Alice in Wonderland is simply a masterpiece that will definitely blowSpirited Away's victory on the Academy Awards isn't casualty: Animation, storytelling, and characters couldn't be more complex and surprisingly impressive. Hayao Miyazaki's Alice in Wonderland is simply a masterpiece that will definitely blow audience's minds. Expand
Antgiog1202Jun 2, 2016
WOW! This film was spectacular. Spirited Away was such a magical thrill-ride that I just can't get enough of. It leaves your mind spinning in wonder and your heart pounding with love. Hayao Miyazaki has proven to me that he is the greatestWOW! This film was spectacular. Spirited Away was such a magical thrill-ride that I just can't get enough of. It leaves your mind spinning in wonder and your heart pounding with love. Hayao Miyazaki has proven to me that he is the greatest hand-drawn animator out there.

Rating: 10/10