7.8

1. Apr 12, 2015
    Choosing one word to sum up our rating for this movie would be difficult. It was simply disappointing, cheesy, fake, and not something we were able to take seriously.

The cast seemed completely wrong, especially for Kirk and Spock. Besides being out of character throughout the majority of the film, both actors just didn't seem right for their characters. The romance with Spock and Uhura seemed out of place and random. While I liked some parts of Khan's character and performance, other parts were not believable, and just ridiculous. Most of the cast was acceptable, but still could have been done better.

The entire film as a whole seemed disjointed and choppy. The flow was all off, and the transitions between situations and plot twists was painful, at best. There were several areas that had mistakes worthy of the original Star Wars trilogy, which made the whole thing seem cheap and lacking the proper care or effort.

For as much hype as this film had before it's release, we were expecting a whole lot more from it. This isn't a movie we'll be watching again any time soon, and is not one we would recommend to anyone, especially a fan of other Star Trek versions.
  2. Mar 13, 2015
    The thing that makes this film is its ability to be witty and unsuspecting. The new villain is what I would say the next step to this franchise. The villain was smart and willing. most of all, he was caring and would do anything for his family which kind of messes with morals. This sequel just makes me anxious to see the third.
  3. Feb 15, 2015
    Star Trek Into Darkness is the sequel to the 2009 reboot of the series and although I prefer the first film over this one it is still strong and worth watching. All the key characters from the crew we love were back once again. Chris Pine plays Captain Kirk well once again and displays true heroism throughout the film despite acting on so many random impulses. Benedict Cumberbatch entersStar Trek Into Darkness is the sequel to the 2009 reboot of the series and although I prefer the first film over this one it is still strong and worth watching. All the key characters from the crew we love were back once again. Chris Pine plays Captain Kirk well once again and displays true heroism throughout the film despite acting on so many random impulses. Benedict Cumberbatch enters the series as Khan, who will likely be taking a big part in the rest of the films regardless of how many there are. The special effects are sharp and the there is never a dull moment, there is even a little humour from Scotty. Expand
  4. Feb 10, 2015
    While Star Trek: Into Darkness was still a really good sci-fi film, it unfortunately failed to either live up to or exceed the standard set by the first film in this newly rebooted franchise. The acting by the entire cast, including additions Benedict Cumberbatch and Alice Eve, was fantastic and the special effects continued to be on par with the best in the business. I also thought AbramsWhile Star Trek: Into Darkness was still a really good sci-fi film, it unfortunately failed to either live up to or exceed the standard set by the first film in this newly rebooted franchise. The acting by the entire cast, including additions Benedict Cumberbatch and Alice Eve, was fantastic and the special effects continued to be on par with the best in the business. I also thought Abrams did a good job continuing the development of the characters from the first film, making these movies really feel like they connect well. The only negatives with the film, in my opinion, stem from them not branching away from the original series. I didn't love that in the first film but I thought the "alternate universe" concept was an interesting way to stay true to the franchise source material while still allowing the writers a certain level of artistic freedom. That is no longer the case and Abrams' insistent on staying attached at the hip to the original was a weak point for me. While it felt like an interesting concept in the first film, it felt like lazy writing in this one. I really do hope they continue to build this story with more films because I love the universe and the cast but hopefully in future endeavors they leave Leonard Nimoy off of the cast list. Expand
  5. Dec 13, 2014
    Deserves credit because it actually feels like Star Trek. The story is delivered well by terrific acting talent. Although Benedict Cumberbatch is certainly more convincing as an eccentric genius than he is as a ruthless villain. The adventure you'd expect from this franchise is thankfully present. As is the USS Enterprise. The special effects compliment the story making the experience evenDeserves credit because it actually feels like Star Trek. The story is delivered well by terrific acting talent. Although Benedict Cumberbatch is certainly more convincing as an eccentric genius than he is as a ruthless villain. The adventure you'd expect from this franchise is thankfully present. As is the USS Enterprise. The special effects compliment the story making the experience even more special. One big shortcoming though, is the lack of convincing character development that was key in the 2009 film. Expand
  6. Nov 13, 2014
    "Star Trek: Into Darkness" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

"Star Trek: Into Darkness" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

The Good: Just like in the previous film, the cast does an amazing job bringing these timeless characters to life once again. You can tell that the actors themselves truly love their roles and have worked to perfect them ... especially Quinto's Spock and Urban's Bones McCoy. An ensemble cast this large makes it difficult to give proper screen time to, especially with such a dedicated fanbase, but Abrams pulls it off brilliantly as every character gets special moments in the film. Cumberbatch was an amazing villain, a perfect blend of explosive savagery and calculating calm. Lastly, the film balances action with drama very well, which concerned me coming in as all the previews makes the film out to be so action packed.

The Bad: I understand that these films are also love letters to past films, but too many scenes were pulled from old films and that rubbed me the wrong way ... especially near the end. The Enterprise doesn't do much in this film and spends a lot of time taking a beating.
  7. Nov 10, 2014
    I introduced the world of Star Trek to my family with this one. I've always been a casual fan of the series, and the JJ Abrams treatment hasn't really ruffled any of my feathers. It's a solid, well-thought out film with just the right amount of homage to the original films, and just the right amount of its own ideas. Every major character from the series gets just about enough screenI introduced the world of Star Trek to my family with this one. I've always been a casual fan of the series, and the JJ Abrams treatment hasn't really ruffled any of my feathers. It's a solid, well-thought out film with just the right amount of homage to the original films, and just the right amount of its own ideas. Every major character from the series gets just about enough screen time, and the plot is complex enough to keep you glued to your seat in case the action wasn't enough. Overall, a well-done film, on par if not better than Abrams' initial foray into the Star Trek universe. If the new Star Wars movie even approaches this level of filmmaking, it will be light years from Lucas' attempts at the prequels. Expand
  8. Nov 9, 2014
    It lives up to its hype and predecessor with a very strong script, great acting, great action sequences, a surprising emotional scope and a landmark antagonist.
  9. Sep 13, 2014
    Rip-roaring blockbuster rollercoaster ride - does not disappoint, though I ended up rooting for the villian more than the enterprise for much of the film. Hard not to when he's so much more interesting than the protagonists.
    Still, good setup for the wrath of khan, I guess. 8 stars, only because essentially it's popcorn, but great popcorn.
  10. Aug 27, 2014
    I am a huge star trek fan. Although JJ Abrams steered ST fans a little away from the original, I am still grateful for the state of the art visual effects and lively characters. Amazing line up playing legendary characters. My dream will come true if Abrams will include cross characters from ST next gen, DS9, Voyager & Enterprise. That will be wicked!
  11. Aug 1, 2014
    What do you want from a film? Well, I want, when I leave the movie theater or turn off my DVD player, to have keep something of the film inside me, a message, an emotion, something. "Star Trek Into Darkness" fails the same way as the first to do it. Spectacular but empty.
  12. Jul 19, 2014
    It might not be as awesome as the previous movie, but as a huge Star Trek fan I really like this movie, because it's so spectacular and thrilling to watch, GO ABRAMS!!!

The first thing I got to say about this movie is the opening scene, it's one of the greatest opening scenes I've ever seen, and it's even better than in the previous movie! The actors in Star Trek Into Darkness are flawless, and combined with the newcomer Benedict Cumberbatch couldn't the actors be more awesome. When it comes to the quality, the CGI and the special effects in Star Trek Into Darkness I really think they did a great job, because the film is so well made and it got so much details, not to mention the lens flares and the new "warp effect" (even thought I liked the old one more). Star Trek Into Darkness truly is an awesome movie, because I never got bored, and I really loved the high amount of action and adventure in this movie. The movie also got many unique and new awesome scenes that just got me of guard, especially the scenes on Earth. The story in Star Trek Into Darkness is flawless, and it truly is an enormous cool movie, that truly is packed of Star Trek references from the original series, which I truly admire as a Star Trek fan. The music is just as awesome in this movie as in the previous one, even thought it wasn't that vigorous as in the previous movie.

The ending in Star Trek Into Darkness is wonderful, and I can't wait until the next movie comes out!

The negative thing about this movie is that it wasn't the same high tempo as in the previous movie, but also that it wasn't so much adventure, just darkness and corruption, and it wasn't that much "Star Trek" really. The movie also contains many illogical decisions from some of the characters which made it weird, so it wasn't as great as the 2009 movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness is an awesome and logical movie to watch, because it's so fascinating, although it wasn't as great as the previous installment of Star Trek.

Star Trek Into Darkness gets a 9.3/10
  13. Jul 15, 2014
    How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
    ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the modern day star trek franchise starring Chris Pine, Benedict Cumberbatch, and is directed by J.J Abrams. In this film we follow the continuing adventures of the U.S.S Enterprise and the crew that inhabits it.
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as
    How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as well. The film opens and we get to witness first glance what kind of excitement these people go through. This film also stretches the bounds of Spock and Kirk’s friendship, putting them through tests that could be the difference of life and death. Quinto’s Spock finds trouble understanding the meaning of true friendship because he (like all vulcan) cannot help but think on more of a logical scale. Throughout the course of the movie he must struggle to channel his human half.
    That’s also not to say the other character’s are without conflicts. Kirk must deal with his superiors orders as he is a loose cannon when it comes to following the rules. Zoë Saldana’s character must deal with her relationship with Spock, and Cumberbatch’s character terrorizes the entire federation with his evil plan.
    Speaking of which, Cumberbatch plays his role to a tooth. Not only providing the film with a good villain, but a very memorable antagonist for the entire star trek franchise. The way he slowly explains himself while remaining obscure until the very end makes him beyond interesting.
    The communication between he and kirk at points was the most interesting parts of the film. However, the visuals are something to be noticed as well. They are top notch and stimulating. Something the star trek franchise has always been known for having.
    If there are any gripes, I would say that (while not being a long time fan) I noticed that much of the lore has been tweaked and the traditional star trek format has been replaced with more of an action based genre. However, many sci-fi elements still remain and most of all I have to become aware that this is Abrams’ timeline. While the original timeline did happen, this one is still good even with some changes and they are not something that is very bothersome. The only real bothersome thing I did find was a lazy moment in the script at the end. While I did enjoy the twist in roles of two characters, I didn’t like the sudden abrupt climax. I felt that it could have been concluded smoother. It felt as if they ran out of time and had to put the end together in a matter of hours.
    Other than that, I found that this new trek improved much on some faults the first had (like the villain) while also providing new ideas that contrasted with old ones. New Trek is more than a summer movie, and it’s not so much a fan only film.
  14. Jun 14, 2014
    I am not a big fan of these re-imaginings and remakes and whatever since they usually turn out to be nothing more than a pile of s***. However I have to say Abrams did a really good job on these new Star Trek films. I watched it recently in 3D and it was AMAZING. Can't wait for the next installment. Now only thing missing is a good TV series.
  15. Jun 8, 2014
    I'm glad JJ Abrams was able to promote Lt. Uhura from communications officer to "eye candy completely irrelevant to the plot".

Her two scenes in the entire movie are kissing a guy and then screaming at her boyfriend to stop punching a guy. The original Lt. Uhura was such an inspiration that when she wasn't sure if she should keep doing the show, actress Nichelle Nichols was implored

The original Lt. Uhura was such an inspiration that when she wasn't sure if she should keep doing the show, actress Nichelle Nichols was implored by civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to continue the role so that Americans could see a future in which one's sex and race are not restrictions to just how far you could go in society and through the galaxy.

I'm so glad JJ Abrams was able to suffocate this inspiring piece of civil rights and cinema history by completely smothering the Lt. Uhura character.
  16. Jun 6, 2014
    Words cannot explain how fantastic this film was! The whole experience was a thrill-ride from start to finish, and there were a few laughs as well! This film was very satisfying, and I would definitely recommend it if you're a Star Trek fan!
  17. May 25, 2014
    "Shall We Begin"

"Shall We Begin"

Absolutely amazing went to see this film in IMAX and it was well worth the hour drive. Unlike Iron Man 3 i actually enjoyed watching this movie without having problems with how the story and it's characters played out. J.J. Abrams know who to make a great sci-fi film. Visually Stunning just like Star Trek 2009 though i felt that there was no big amazing visual scene like there was in Star Trek when Nero destroys Planet Vulcan. The particle beams left by USS Enterprise those were awesome looking.

The film follows Chris Pine (Kirk)and his team going on a man hunt for Benedict Cumberbatch after he as blown up a building in London. The movie opens up with Kirk and Bones on a planet running through some red tree field away from the planets indigenous people because he had stolen their precious artifact. Spock is in a volcano trying to stop it from erupting this is one of the movies visual moments when you see all the lava flowing all over place lava particles flying all over the place then boom a huge wave of lava that was awesome. After stopping the volcano and getting away we are on our adventure to hunt Khan down.

I'm glad Benedict Cumberbatch was in this movie i mean you can never go wrong you you choose him. Also it was nice to see him play a villain the guy nailed this role. The dialog for him was also great some great quotes by him some that are just bone-chilling.

Overall i give it a 8.0 i watched it again a couple days later and while i know some people say that the end was rushed to me watching it that second time made it feel that it wasn't. Ill definitely be buying this on blu ray and watching them both the movies back to back. J.J. Abrams has stated that he will be directing to 3rd film that will be coming out but is still staying on as a producer. Now i hope they get someone great and don't just kill the franchise off. J.J. revived the series and i hope that it stays this way i did hear that they are bringing back a new star trek TV series so that could be fun to watch.
  18. May 25, 2014
    While much better than the 2009 film (which was an AWFUL Star Trek film), it still lacks the intelligence of the original films / series. It too, while fun to watch, has a few homages to the originals ... which some could feel insulted by, but I liked them. Not for every Trekkie; for the general audience; sure!
  19. May 19, 2014
    Too bad they thought to improve it, guess the writers thought they knew more than Gene Roddenberry knew, movie was sort of ok, but trying to rewrite the episode with Khan was both foolish and an insult to Gene. Stick to what you know, writing jingles for ads.
  20. May 14, 2014
    The thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job ofThe thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job of portraying the original series cast but again it's trying to copy past success, Into Darkness did really well in the box office but what Star Trek needs is something completely original, new crew, original story, if that happened the box office sales would triple. Expand
  21. lox
    May 9, 2014
    Star Trek Into Darkness was inferior to its '09 predecessor, but with a superior villain. I disliked how Abrams alternately rehashed plot points from Wrath of Khan though, and felt that the predecessors secondary characters felt even more minor here, and a certain shoe-horned eye-candy scene had me rolling my eyes. Despite Cumberbatch's excellent performance, why did he have to play aStar Trek Into Darkness was inferior to its '09 predecessor, but with a superior villain. I disliked how Abrams alternately rehashed plot points from Wrath of Khan though, and felt that the predecessors secondary characters felt even more minor here, and a certain shoe-horned eye-candy scene had me rolling my eyes. Despite Cumberbatch's excellent performance, why did he have to play a character who's supposed to be North Indian? Despite these gripes, Into Darkness was a fun watch with beautiful visuals, a solid climax and exciting action sequences. Expand
  22. May 3, 2014
    Star Trek into Darkness has alot going for it. There are so many positives in this movie but unfortuantly there are alot of negatives. Into Darkness is very messy and has an unfocused narrative. While the movie is fun it does tire you out.
  23. May 2, 2014
    Star Trek: Into Darkness is a well-made tribute to the original series that comes with a punch. Fans of the original and moviegoers alike will enjoy its dazzling visuals and well-structured story.
  24. Apr 3, 2014
    What do you get when you mix a clunky 20th century particle accelerator and an Anheuser Busch brewery? The engine of a 24th century starship. Best thing about this movie is Honest Trailers, it's why I give it a 1 instead of a 0. This bud's for you Honest Trailers.
  25. Mar 17, 2014
    A Great Sequel From A Wonderful Movie !!!

** Star Trek Into Darkness ** * This movie has everything to be best of its franchise its a very successive sequel with great scripting , screenplay and perfect visual effects .This movie has more awesome stuffs with a good story which is packed with lots of action, humor and excitement that drives this movie as a complete success giving us a
    A Great Sequel From A Wonderful Movie !!!

** Star Trek Into Darkness **

* This movie has everything to be best of its franchise its a very successive sequel with great scripting , screenplay and perfect visual effects .This movie has more awesome stuffs with a good story which is packed with lots of action, humor and excitement that drives this movie as a complete success giving us a great treat once again !! .

* The factors that gave the previous movie of this sequel a huge success its being repeated once again in this movie giving the huge advantage and clarity to the whole movie .

* The characters in this movie were perfect because they did their work perfectly without any faults ,mismatch & mistakes they were all well developed their performance was great during screenplay because it was beautifully executed thus its makes this movie more entertaining and exciting .

* The Actors performance were fantastic they gave the life to their characters to this movie they deserve applause to their works reigniting the same efforts that are done to the previous movie and for new comers in this movie did there excellent performance as well ! .

* The Screen play was brilliant it utilized all the characters perfectly displaying correct amount segments need to be executed that gives all that excitement and adventure that we are seeking from this movie .

* Visual Effects are utilized up to the core with all essentials it has gathered during the screenplay its sparkles with all the clarity .

* The Director J.J. Abrams has once again gave us the wonderful movie he deserves an applause for making such a great sequel that is both exciting and wonderful !! .

* The Movie is overall great and awesome !! with all the clarity it has gathered it shines like sparkling gemstones !! .

Star Trek Into Darkness :**********

(10/10) Stars
  26. Mar 8, 2014
    It's just as awesome has its predecessor. There's a ton of intense action, humor, powerful acting - everything you expected from this sequel. This is a fantastic visionary roller-coaster ride.
  27. Mar 2, 2014
    I liked it cause it was fast moving, and no where as slow as I thought it might be. The main villain was really interesting. It was the most interesting movie overall that I have seen in a few months.
  28. Mar 2, 2014
    Star Trek at its finest; Great story, strong villain, excellent special effects, self-sacrifice by a leading character. Yes, "The Wrath of Khan" is generally thought of as the best Star Trek film for very good reasons. "Into Darkness", however, is basically a clone of a much better film. It's ok, and certainly better than the other "Khan" clone film "Nemesis", but the fact that they copiedStar Trek at its finest; Great story, strong villain, excellent special effects, self-sacrifice by a leading character. Yes, "The Wrath of Khan" is generally thought of as the best Star Trek film for very good reasons. "Into Darkness", however, is basically a clone of a much better film. It's ok, and certainly better than the other "Khan" clone film "Nemesis", but the fact that they copied the plot and much of the dialogue word-for-word is pretty sad when you think of it. Not as good as the first film in the reboot. Expand
  29. Feb 23, 2014
    Star Trek as nothing but an endless series of action shots, if you want a war movie set in the Star Trek universe than this is for you. It's not Star Trek, it's a over done over utilized ghost of what the series should be. Lots of shooting, blowing things up and fist fights, lots and lots and lots. I found my sympathies going for those apposed to Kirk and in support of Khan and those whoStar Trek as nothing but an endless series of action shots, if you want a war movie set in the Star Trek universe than this is for you. It's not Star Trek, it's a over done over utilized ghost of what the series should be. Lots of shooting, blowing things up and fist fights, lots and lots and lots. I found my sympathies going for those apposed to Kirk and in support of Khan and those who thawed him out. Do not spend money on this, if you want to still see it, wait for it to come out on cable for free. Expand
  30. Feb 15, 2014
    The voyages continue: Star Trek for people who don't like Star Trek. A big, dumb summer popcorn flick with zip, wiz, bang action, lots of explosions, fist-fights and running around. One of the most beloved 'Trek instalments (The Wrath of Khan) gets the prison shower treatment by the conclusion of Into Darkness. Unintelligent, formulaic, forgettable.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?