5.9

1. May 3, 2015
    George Lucas dissappointed most of his audiences! this movie was boring and just stupid! I am ashamed to like star wars with this movie being technically the starting point
  2. Apr 28, 2015
    The worst addition to the series, this movie suffers throughout from its failure to evolve from the original trilogy. The acting, editing and special effects are only marginally improved from the original franchise, but this stands more as a testament to the original movies than a failure of this one. Where this movie really falls down is the weak attempt to form a connection between theThe worst addition to the series, this movie suffers throughout from its failure to evolve from the original trilogy. The acting, editing and special effects are only marginally improved from the original franchise, but this stands more as a testament to the original movies than a failure of this one. Where this movie really falls down is the weak attempt to form a connection between the characters and the audience, and the stilted direction of the actors on the set. The curse of the child actor really hurts this movie as well, along with the cringey additions of characters like JarJar Binks and Nute Gunray. The movie saves itself some semblance of credibility through a few stellar action sequences, notably the pod racing on Tatooine and the dual between QuiGon Jinn, Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul. The plot is also superior to any of the original trilogy, and sets up a solid story arch. Again however it suffers from excessive exposition, leaving no mystery to intrigue those watching. Expand
  3. Apr 25, 2015
    -----REDONE REVIEW-----

-----REDONE REVIEW-----

Despite some flaws (particularly the overly kiddy Jar Jar Binks and the distracting Neimoidians), The Phantom Menace proves to be a fun romp that I didn’t find boring at all. It definitely does its action scenes best but the moments on Tatooine and Coruscant didn’t bother me one bit. The movie provides convincing and mysterious villains like Darth Maul as well as great chemistry from heroes Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Anakin Skywalker.
    9.1
  4. Apr 24, 2015
    Things get off to a cold start with the much parodied credit crawl. Where Episode IV goes for the in media res jugular – “It is a time of civil war!” - problems in Episode I are not quite so pressing. Events are “alarming” perhaps, there’s certainly plenty of “turmoil” and we all know “taxation” is a thorny issue but the context is clear: like Anakin, this conflict still has some growingThings get off to a cold start with the much parodied credit crawl. Where Episode IV goes for the in media res jugular – “It is a time of civil war!” - problems in Episode I are not quite so pressing. Events are “alarming” perhaps, there’s certainly plenty of “turmoil” and we all know “taxation” is a thorny issue but the context is clear: like Anakin, this conflict still has some growing up to do. The menace is still phantom.

An inexcusably lazy establishing shot - the Jedi shuttle cruises past the camera - and lethargic opening sequence hardly help pick up the pace. In A New Hope’s famous opening salvo the bad guys fire first and ask questions later, in The Phantom Menace the Jedi are ushered into a meeting room while the semi-bad guys go into video conference with Darth Sidious about whether an invasion of Naboo is legal or not.

This arse-numbing inactivity recurs throughout The Phantom Menace: because the battles lines are not yet drawn and sides are still being taken there is always much explaining to be done, characters are forever having update meetings or being introduced to one another. The plot machinery lumbers through the gears, hampered further by the strange declarative dialogue and by an apparent disinterest in making these scenes visually interesting.

Critics complained that Lucas had got yet worse at writing for humans in the twenty-two years since Star Wars, in fact it is simply that, beyond Alec Guinness talking about the force, the plot of A New Hope requires no exposition - The Phantom Menace on the other hand is all explanation, much of it, like the midichlorians, unwanted and unnecessary. (To be fair, Lucas waited a generation before spoiling his enigmatic myth with background material, the Wachowski’s jumped that particular shark in film two.)

And yet there is still much pleasure to be had watching our full-blown Jedi guides in action. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan quickly discover that things are mercifully worse than the credit crawl predicted, a robot invasion force is being unpacked, Naboo is under actual threat. Sadly, we never actually see any of the massacres that are apparently taking place, instead we land somewhere that looks suspiciously like the woods near Leavesden and meet one of the galaxy’s more annoying comedy sidekicks (although not as annoying as fans frantically searching for a scapegoat would have you believe). After all, this film has at its hero a small boy – it cannot visit the dark 12A places.

Tatooine turns out to be a total bust. They leave Obi-Wan behind, Amidala pretends to be Padme for no good reason, Anakin whines a lot, there’s some mumbo jumbo about a mystical birth and at absolutely no point does Han Solo turn up. Bastard. This is a section so flabby that even the electrifying pod race goes on for one lap too long.

But hell, we meet Vader Jnr. and he says goodbye to his mother, which is the only essential action of the movie, so it’s almost worth the trip.

Lucas probably imagined that Anakin’s goodbye would be the real heartbreaker but he couldn’t write it and Jake Lloyd couldn’t act it. The irony is, we don’t need it. Given where he is destined to end up, Anakin doesn’t need to be innocence personified when we meet him. Indeed, we are told that the kid is too old to be trained and that the Jedi council fear him, facts that are utterly lost on an audience who see only a bowl-headed brat.

Perhaps best of all, we have the death of Qui-Gon. Liam Neeson has manfully carried the action on his shoulders throughout (the subsequent prequels desperately miss him) and his final words – “Obi-Wan, promise... Promise me you will train the boy” - provide the movie with its only real weight.

And yet if only Lucas could have stopped thinking like a fearful father and acted more like the fearless myth-maker of old, there’s a quick fix that would change everything. Imagine for a moment a street urchin orphaned by the Clone Wars, a scoundrel scamming to survive, already using the force without even realising it. Imagine a cocky fifteen-year old robbing Qui-Gonn, competing with Obi-Wan and flirting with Padme. Imagine, for a second, an Anakin invested with the spirit of a young Han Solo…

The most disappointing film of all time it remains, but with the galaxy of hype now far, far away Menace seems much less of a public menace than it did in the summer of 1999. Alongside the obvious action highs, the ability to consume the saga in a single sitting has created a veritable feast for those fans still keen to mine for irony, with Palpatine’s Shakespearean scheming particularly delectable here.
  5. Apr 20, 2015
    There are two major issues with this film. Jar Jar and some excessive CGI that doesn't always look the best but other than that the plot is essential ground work to the rise of Palpatine. It may not be the best Star Wars film but it is undeserving of all the criticism. A couple of the actors are less than stellar but it's a passable movie.
  6. Apr 20, 2015
    Utterly and completely disappointing. So much CGI has been crammed into this movie that it makes your eyes hurt from watching it. Everything looks fake. There is no charm no emotions as they have been to the original trilogy. The plot is just boring and lame, all characters are annoying and forgettable. The boy playing Anakin is just an awfully terrible actor. If you compare it to otherUtterly and completely disappointing. So much CGI has been crammed into this movie that it makes your eyes hurt from watching it. Everything looks fake. There is no charm no emotions as they have been to the original trilogy. The plot is just boring and lame, all characters are annoying and forgettable. The boy playing Anakin is just an awfully terrible actor. If you compare it to other young actors (see Game of Thrones) you will notice that at least with a somehow decent acting choice some part of the movie could have still been saved.
    But then there is this terrible terrible Jar-Jar CGI abomination. It fails at everything, it fails at humor, it fails at having any benefit to the movie.
    While the old trilogy had a clear story line, some very memorable scenes and characters. This has nothing. I can't remember a single scene that was interesting or that I liked.
    George Lucas should have better listened to his advisors instead of trying to do everything himself.
    I know he is a big fan of modern computer imagery / CGI and so on. It does not really make the movie any better. It actually makes it much worse. The carefully crafted models used in the old trilogy look way more realistic and better even after many many years.
  7. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Things get off to a cold start with the much parodied credit crawl. Where Episode IV goes for the in media res jugular – “It is a time of civil war!” - problems in Episode I are not quite so pressing. Events are “alarming” perhaps, there’s certainly plenty of “turmoil” and we all know “taxation” is a thorny issue but the context is clear: like Anakin, this conflict still has some growing up to do. The menace is still phantom.

Despite the unspeakable Yoda puppet, more endless politicking and some iffy CGI, the arrival on Coruscant and the subsequent battle of Naboo provide most of the lasting excuses for forgiving The Phantom Menace. At last there are new worlds to explore, new creatures to encounter and new wrinkles to the Star Wars myth. On Coruscant we are free to marvel at the work of Doug Chiang’s design department - every bit the equal of the original trilogy. And during the saga’s very best lightsaber battle John Williams adds another classic theme (Duel Of The Fates) to his masterpiece. The final act is a mess of conflicting ideas and we are forced to root for a tweenage space pilot but you certainly can’t fault it for pace.

One of the most disappointing film of all time it remains, but with the galaxy of hype now far, far away Menace seems much less of a public menace than it did in the summer of 1999.
  8. Apr 17, 2015
    The Phantom Menace definitely has it's flaws, Jar Jar Binks, podracing, and the like, but it is still Star Wars. Liam Neeson is the acting stand-out of this movie. It probably is the worst (live-action) Star Wars movie, but even the worst Star Wars movie is great in my book.
  9. Mar 22, 2015
    Though it has stretches where the dialogue borders on awful and the humour falls flat, TPM is saved by amazing performances by Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, and Natalie Portman, the epic final showdown between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon Jinn, and Darth Maul, and the breathtaking score composed by John Williams.
  10. Mar 11, 2015
    It's not a bad movie, just heavily flawed. Its acting and dialogue can be cringe-worthy, but its high points still make it an enjoyable cinematic experience. It is overall a visually-dazzling film with a stunningly complex plot and heart-pounding action sequences.
  11. Feb 16, 2015
    Phantom Menace could have been so much better. What ruined it was the needless long pod race, the Gungans, and the laughable kid actor who played Anakin. It's one of those films I'd love to see remade because it truly could have been a masterpiece.
  12. Feb 4, 2015
    I know people won't agree with me but this is the best Star Wars IMO. The story was good, the acting than people give it credit for, and the amazing effects and music. Great from start to finish
  13. Jan 26, 2015
    [Portuguese] O filme é um pouco chato, só o final é interessante, porém este filme introduziu o começo de toda história de Star Wars, então é um filme importante.
  14. Jan 23, 2015
    This is a fantastic thriller fantasy action adventure! Please watch, much good. Experience incredibly developed characters - like Jar Jar Binks (my favourite). A cold hearted thriller.
    0/10 - Ben Hazelden
  15. Jan 20, 2015
    Rewatched it recently on BD. Its an average mostly boring and annoying sf movie. The effects and fighting scenes are fantastic but the story and acting are horrible.
  16. Jan 19, 2015
    Star Wars I: the Phantom Menace is abysmally structured. I'm honestly having a very very hard time figuring out where all three Acts begin and end. Perhaps, it was meant to be that way. One can ask, is that ambitious or flawed? I vote for flawed. Not simply because I feel Lucas severely lacks the writing capabilities to write an abstract narrative but also because it's nothing like anStar Wars I: the Phantom Menace is abysmally structured. I'm honestly having a very very hard time figuring out where all three Acts begin and end. Perhaps, it was meant to be that way. One can ask, is that ambitious or flawed? I vote for flawed. Not simply because I feel Lucas severely lacks the writing capabilities to write an abstract narrative but also because it's nothing like an abstract narrative. The problems start right from the opening shots and this is a problem in all the Star Wars movies. It starts off with backstory, with lines of narrative, scrolling up as John Williams' soundtrack plays along, serving as exposition for the upcoming events. Why couldn't they create a quick montage - a series of rapidly edited shots or just a basic sequence of still photos or simply start off before that. The entire purpose of film is to convey a story through the wonderful language of images. And when Lucas throws narrative at us, just as it appears in the script, let's just say it's a very underwhelming opening. Terrence Malick was able to briefly portray evolutionary progression and natural selection from the most elementary to the most multiplex of creatures, all in about 20 minutes in the Tree of Life. Lucas was asked to carry no such burden.Ewan McGregor is a decent actor but his role is so poorly written in the movie. For the most part, his job consists of 3 basic exercises. He walks alongside Liam Neeson stating the obvious, he looks up when he enters rooms and he keeps questioning Liam Neeson's "high intellectual Jedi converse" so that Liam Neeson can start explaining the plot. The entire Jedi counsel exists so that Lucas' characters can sit around and explain the plot to the audience. Jar Jar Binks may be the most annoying character I've ever had to witness on screen. But there are so many versions of him in this movie. It's intolerable.
    Since, all of us have already seen Lucas' pantomime 1977 original, we should all agree that he's the master of oversimplification. The characters are all so black and white. There's not a single character even remotely leaning towards the second dimension. And in fact, this is a problem with all the Star Wars movies. They all show us distinctly, which characters are good and which characters are evil but none of them tell us why. In fact several movies like Apocalypse Now, Rashomon, Taxi Driver and in more recent years, Pans Labyrinth and the Dark Knight, have explored this idea of the relativity of morality so brilliantly. But of course Lucas doesn't bother with interesting objectives of that sort. The entire "dark side of the force should rule the galaxy" is as cliched as it gets. How many movies have been made where the bad guys want to take over the world? Too many to count.
    But the part where I began to despise it, was the last 45 mins, which was literally jam-packed with mind-numbing CGI action. I found it amusing that Lucas thought he had the ability to juggle multiple story lines (rather I should just use action sequences instead of storyline) from the "epic" battle between the droids and Jar Jar's, to Anakin's random "attempts" to destroy the "what-ever the hell that was" all accompanied by a triumvirate lightsaber dual between Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor with the man with the double ended light sabre. And then on top of all that, we have the dialogue. Now this is something that I am infuriated by. Lucas' writing skills are pre-school. A 10 year old could write better lines of dialogue and convey more emotion. Greeting Cards have exuded more passion than Lucas' raw use of words. It's as bad as I've ever seen (and that's not in any way an exaggerated statement).
    The Phantom Menace is a disgrace to everything that contributed to the world of cinema and it opened the door for several other mindless action movies. It's over-filled with computer imagery and is completely hollow within. There's no psychology, no philosophy, basically no ideas in it whatsoever. It's the work of a machine rather than an artist and it was as entertaining as filling out your Income Tax forms. It may be appealing to adolescent boys who grew up with those characters but to me this is just a sad money making practice targeted at a series run out of control.
  17. Jan 4, 2015
    The real score for this movie is an 8, but I score with a 10 because here are many people mad about the original trilogy of Star Wars that want to feel as the were 17 again... and that's not possible. I feel sorry for the people that see the original trilogy at the right age and the see the second trilogy been so unfairly critic with it.

The real problem with this people is that they

The real problem with this people is that they want to feel in Disneyland as they was 17, but the reality is that you have no 17 and you will never had. If you return to Disneyland with 40 sorry, you will not feel the same, the attractions doesn't change a lot, you are the one that change, you are harden to surprise, you are not a child, you are not an adolescent.

The film is below Star Wars and The Empire Strike Back, but is better than the Return of the Jedi for example, and the lightsaber battles are the best of all the two trilogies. The bad guy are good (valid me the contradiction), Jar Jar Binks are annoying is true, but they are kinds in the cinema that love it, I understand George Lucas position.

I understand the demand of the people of unaltered version of the original trilogy, and I am sure George Lucas or Disney will decide to release soon or late. But that is no a reason to make a documentary exaggeratedly criticize George Lucas and his legacy. Is no so awesome than the original trilogy, but is awesome. I know persons that see the second trilogy with the right age that really love it and think that the special effects of the original trilogy are poor.
  18. Jan 2, 2015
    I hate when people say the prequel films are terrible, they do still have some great scenes! With ep1, there were some definite let-downs, such as Jar Jar Binks and Anakins very average performance (but he is a kid i suppose), but they provided many other great things. The pod racing is a hella a lot of fun to watch, and The enviroments vary nicely in the film. Then also, they introduceI hate when people say the prequel films are terrible, they do still have some great scenes! With ep1, there were some definite let-downs, such as Jar Jar Binks and Anakins very average performance (but he is a kid i suppose), but they provided many other great things. The pod racing is a hella a lot of fun to watch, and The enviroments vary nicely in the film. Then also, they introduce possibly the most badass character in the Star Wars lore: Darth Maul. He is scary, awesome and just great to watch in this movie! And let me say, the end battle is possibly one of the best and well paced fights ever. Qui-gon and Obi against Darth Maul in those red laser barriers, that's how to rack up some brilliant tension. Many scenes in this film do save it from how bad people say it is, and i'd say watch it all the way through even if you do not like it just to see that final battle! Expand
  19. Dec 21, 2014
    I love The Phantom Menace. It is one my favorite films. This is life changing film of dream, destiny, will, love, and truth. I don't care what die hard fans says, I really admire this motion picture. It may not be perfect, but I think the story is great, the acting is fine, th cg fine, and writing is fine. And what did you expect about the pod racing?
  20. Dec 2, 2014
    A very good and fantastic movie. A very good screenplay good acts and good special effect. It is the best movie from Star Wars sries. I like this movie more than the others.
  21. Nov 23, 2014
    Phantom Menace isn't as bad as some people make it out to be and it has some really good ideas. Unfortunetely, it fails to live up to it liscense

Pros -Music by John Williams is at best -Despite a weak script, Liam Neeson and Natalie Portman do well with their material -The pod race is exciting -Darth Maul leaves the biggest impact a supporting character has left since Boba Fett

Pros
    -Music by John Williams is at best
    -The pod race is exciting
    -The fight choreography, especially the duel between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Darth Maul near the end
    -Interesting World
    -Special effects are well done for the most part

Cons
    -Jar Jar Binks
    -Any villains that aren't Darth Maul
    -Jar Jar Binks
    -The Tatooine section drags on forever
    -Jar Jar Binks
    -Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is wasted
    -Jar Jar Binks
    -Anakin Skywalker is useless to the plot and shouldn't even be a child. Jake Llyod didn't do very well with the material
    -DID I MENTION JAR JAR
  22. Nov 18, 2014
    For the most part, Phantom Menace has an exciting backdrop on an invigorating adventure so atmospheric you visit at least double the planets you would normally see in any of the original films. Episode 1 surfaces the beginning and Lucas' vision is sure-fire beaming in fun. For kid's this movie is a sucker-punch of awesomeness, for everyone else it comes off as a classic, but we all knowFor the most part, Phantom Menace has an exciting backdrop on an invigorating adventure so atmospheric you visit at least double the planets you would normally see in any of the original films. Episode 1 surfaces the beginning and Lucas' vision is sure-fire beaming in fun. For kid's this movie is a sucker-punch of awesomeness, for everyone else it comes off as a classic, but we all know it's nowhere near a high level of cinema. Expand
  23. Nov 9, 2014
    As a child this was always my favourite star wars film. And while now I can see that it is riddled with faults, it still has some fantastic scenes, and contains the best lightsaber duel of the entire series. I know Jar Jar Binks was a mistake, but if you put that to one side this is quite a good film.
  24. Oct 18, 2014
    Set decades before the original "Star Wars" series, in the era of the Republic, The Phantom Menace is a prequel which introduces many of the major characters.
  25. Sep 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I should probably have broken my promise to myself and gotten **** after watching this tripe. 'The Phantom Menace' is easily the worst 'Star Wars' movie, and a terrible film in general. Some lowlights:

Jar Jar. Just the most obvious of this movie's myriad artistic miscalculations, he's unfunny and stupid.

Acting. Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor are the only two actors in this movie who actually seem to be trying to rise above the material.

Pointless call-forwards. Actually, 'Attack of the Clones' is worst with this, but they're there and visible in 'The Phantom Menace' too.

Characterization. Whiny little Anakin is very true to how most little kids are; I should know, as, to my eternal chagrin, I used to be one. But this movie seems to be promulgating the notion that youthful pettiness makes one evil. No, no, it doesn't. Hopefully, once you turn fifteen or sixteen, you realize 'God, what an **** I've been' and resolve to be better than that.

Pod racing. Um...scratch that, counterproductive padding! From a narrative standpoint, it's obvious Anakin is supposed to win that race and win his freedom from...Watto (is that his name? I don't remember it being mentioned during the movie). From a logical standpoint, however, he should NOT win that race, since he's young and green as a conifer.

Midichlorians. Yes, I gathered from the original trilogy that the Force was an invisible forcefield which Jedi could manipulate to their own ends, but which bound every organism in the GFFA. So they have something in their blood which makes them one with the Force or something? That has either unfortunate implications or it's just an outright contradiction in the plot.

Action. As in, there's not nearly enough of it until the last fifteen minutes or so, and while it is exciting when we get it, by then it's too little too late.

Overall, this is easily the lamest Star Wars movie, never thought-provoking or even accidentally funny, though I will give a point for Darth Maul's double lightsaber. That was literally the only memorable part of the film that was thus for a good reason.
  26. Sep 4, 2014
    This film is a travesty. The first Star Wars release for over a decade and after the epic trilogy that is A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi, you would expect this movie to be much better. In the age of advanced special effects and storytelling, it's a shame that this movie turned out how it did. A mixture of bad CGI and unrealistic story points (Such as an 8 yearThis film is a travesty. The first Star Wars release for over a decade and after the epic trilogy that is A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi, you would expect this movie to be much better. In the age of advanced special effects and storytelling, it's a shame that this movie turned out how it did. A mixture of bad CGI and unrealistic story points (Such as an 8 year old winning a pod race, after he breaks down and takes about 30 seconds to start up again) just to explain how he can get out of slavery. The writing is lazy, and it comes off more as a childs fantasy film, rife with happy colours and the awful mess that is Jar Jar Binks, a character who mispronounces words and is really the jester of the movie, less funny more sad. Sad that in this age of cinema, a film series as epic as Star Wars has to stoop down and dumb down to appeal to children. Expand
  27. Aug 28, 2014
    The original trilogy of Star Wars will always be classic. Nevertheless, The Phantom Menace does kick-off a compelling prequel trilogy. The visuals are better than ever--and because of our love of the original films we are easily invested in the exploration that will lead into the age of Luke and Leia.
  28. Aug 24, 2014
    La historia es... Muy simple, de echo no explican casi nada, según parece hay un ejercito separatista que quiere... No tengo idea, ¿un nuevo gobierno? por alguna razón quieren acabar con la republica un gobierno que ya estaba desde hace... Quien sabe cuanto, hay muy poca información. En fin, al inicio unos embajadores de la republica que son Jedi llegan para negociaciones y las cosas salenLa historia es... Muy simple, de echo no explican casi nada, según parece hay un ejercito separatista que quiere... No tengo idea, ¿un nuevo gobierno? por alguna razón quieren acabar con la republica un gobierno que ya estaba desde hace... Quien sabe cuanto, hay muy poca información. En fin, al inicio unos embajadores de la republica que son Jedi llegan para negociaciones y las cosas salen mal. Desde hay vemos como intentan salvar un planeta de la colonización separatista mientras encuentran a un nuevo Jedi y un personaje muy tonto que en ves de dar buen humor llega a molestar un poco, hay diálogos tontos y cosas sin sentido. Por ejemplo: según parece se puede medir el poder de la fuerza que alguien tiene por la sangre. Yo pensaba que la fuerza era una manifestación espiritual y sobrenatural que se podía manifestar en formas físicas de ves en cuando, pero no al punto de que tienes que tener células. Entonces ¿todas las especies del universo tienen las células necesarias para usar la fuerza? Y de ser así entonces ¿los humanos de la tierra en ese universo también podrían usar la fuerza? y si no es así entonces ¿solo una galaxia tiene ese poder? y si es así entonces ¿como se obtuvo eso? ¿fue algo especial o?.... Mejor lo dejo así, y algunos actores (tal ves la mayoría) tienen actuaciones malas y mediocres aparte de cosas tontas que decir. Lo que mejor tiene la película son los efectos, las escenas de acción y... Y creo que ya, no es una gran precuela pero tampoco puedo decir que sea del todo mala. Sin embargo esta muy cerca de eso, le doy un 05/10 un poco mejor que lo mediocre. Expand
  29. Aug 17, 2014
    It's not like the original trilogy I admit that, but aside from the critical viewpoints every Star Wars fan like me have, I really think this prequel thing was a great idea. And it's an epic start into the Star Wars universe.

The Phantom Menace is an spectacular, exciting and awesome movie that truly is packed with unique action, wonderful actors, great music and a fantastic story! This movie is a great start into the Star Wars universe, although the tempo is a bit to slow at some places, but it's still a spectacular movie that really is touching. The negative aspects with this movie is that the CGI is a bit vague at some places and when I saw the podracing, it just felt a bit to sporty and to little "Star Wars". But I actually had a great time with it. The best thing with this movie must be the first and last 30 minutes, so entertaining!

And to all of you that hate Jar Jar Binks because he's so annoying, the movie wouldn't be the same without him.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace get a 9.4/10
  30. Aug 2, 2014
    Some may wonder why i have rated it so highly im comparison to the average user score, well its just because of my age, it was the first star wars film i watched and its always stuck in my head as the favourite, however i dont believe its better than the older ones its just this is a special memory from my childhood and i really do rate this film highly.

1. Reviewed by: Calum Marsh
    Feb 5, 2012
    It's difficult to discern precisely where this all went wrong, and even more difficult to speculate about possible improvements.
    The Empire strikes out.
  3. Reviewed by: Janet Maslin
    It's up to snuff. It sustains the gee-whiz spirit of the series.