Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 25, 1977
Universal acclaim based on 1457 Ratings
1,353
Watch Now
rodericrinehartAug 14, 2010
This was a revolutionary movie that established scifi as a financially popular genre and allowed many more movies to come to the fore. The backstory might even be better than the actual movie.
MaxBMay 10, 2009
Anyone who says this movie is crap is crazy. Star Wars IV a New Hope is and will always remain an epic classic. It's so well done with a nice balance of action, comedy, and a brilliant story. A New Hope is like nothing you've every Anyone who says this movie is crap is crazy. Star Wars IV a New Hope is and will always remain an epic classic. It's so well done with a nice balance of action, comedy, and a brilliant story. A New Hope is like nothing you've every seen or will see. It remains to be the best of the Star Wars franchise. Expand
3 of 3 users found this helpful
RobertW.Jun 20, 2008
Star Wars will forever be that timeless film we can watch time and time again and still feel the same way about it as we did in our youthful years.
SusanL.Mar 1, 2008
How many other films do people watch over and over?
MattMOct 29, 2008
Michael. H., you are in denial. this film happens to be the most successful and popular movie ever made. i guess everyone's a nerd, because everyone's seen star wars.
OliverL.Oct 3, 2008
The best movie of the decade and almost best of the century. The excellent characters, first rate performances and John Williams perfect musical score make it near perfect.
Byronj.Apr 17, 2008
fantastic
S.B.MApr 25, 2008
If i know my star wars, this is probably the original version. if it is, then i would like to say this is way better than that crappy special edition one.
AlexCFeb 8, 2009
I'm not sure what happened to the two sequels to this movie on Megacritic, but they were superb too. But the prequels were piles of crap. The story of the original Star Wars is the reason why I'm proud to say that I love the Star I'm not sure what happened to the two sequels to this movie on Megacritic, but they were superb too. But the prequels were piles of crap. The story of the original Star Wars is the reason why I'm proud to say that I love the Star Wars franchise. Except for episode 1-3. Oh well. Expand
FurbydudeDec 14, 2007
Star Wars (Episode IV - A New Hope) is an old movie yet it's one of the most awesome movies ever! if anyone wanted to watch other popular sci-fi stuff I would recommend Star Trek, or BBC's Doctor Who (i meant no offense)
mikekMay 27, 2009
The first star wars i saw the commercials for the special edition in 1997 and thought it was a new movie then my mom tells me that's already out and she went to the local video store and rented it i most of watched it ten times before The first star wars i saw the commercials for the special edition in 1997 and thought it was a new movie then my mom tells me that's already out and she went to the local video store and rented it i most of watched it ten times before returning it to find their where sequels...i actually saw return of the jedi before empire..which was confusing..but this movie i now today live by the jedi way or at least try i am a fanboy and feel foolish not to of seen it till i was 8 now i can't comprehend not knowing it i even have a darth vader tattoo on my should so this is the one that started everything and is still amazing today. Expand
PixarloverOct 17, 2012
Anyone who gave this a negative review were clearly out of their mind or they like Twilight. Who knows?

Star Wars... Come on, do I really have to go any further than just saying those two gorgeously combined words? This is where the franchise began. This is where the epic story would continue into many other forms of media beyond film.

Star Wars is simply the greatest movie ever made and gave birth to the Hollywood blockbusters we know and love today. A wholly epic piece of cinema that continues to live on after its theatrical release 35 years ago.
MrScruffSep 3, 2012
A classic, pure imagination, creativity, and innovation went into creating this movie and it really stands out. The greatest sci-fi movie ever created.
TheQuietGamerMar 19, 2011
A outstanding movie and the best of all the Star Wars movies, a true classic that is still a blast to watch today again and again, and because of this it gets a perfect 10, you must watch this movie.
tbagurdrumset94Jan 30, 2012
Just watched it for the millionth time... as always, I wanted to watch it again right away. Very few movies give me that feeling. The story is predictable, but in all the right ways. Besides, the unpredictability was to be saved for theJust watched it for the millionth time... as always, I wanted to watch it again right away. Very few movies give me that feeling. The story is predictable, but in all the right ways. Besides, the unpredictability was to be saved for the sequels... The acting? Does it LOOK like I care about the "bad" acting? Everyone is great. The characters are now so beloved, that there's no way for me to hate on them or the actors. Just go watch it again... Expand
NecromusDec 4, 2012
Definitely one of the best movies of all time, a classic that forever changed the Sci-Fi genre forever with its improvised special effects visuals and sounds that became staples of the Sci-Fi movies, TV shows and Video games of the future.Definitely one of the best movies of all time, a classic that forever changed the Sci-Fi genre forever with its improvised special effects visuals and sounds that became staples of the Sci-Fi movies, TV shows and Video games of the future. The musical score was absolutely amazing, John Williams is a great composer who added a lot to many great Hollywood films. The main characters were all great actors and actresses. (only the minor characters sucked "look sir droids!", etc. lol). The movie even accidentally spawned an amazing line of toys too! This film was epic and very few come to mind when I try to think of movies as epic that have been released since then. Expand
esuJan 20, 2013
It's quite laughable how some people compare movies like this to things like some Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol movie. You think the effects aren't that good? Oh, I wonder why. This movie was made in 1977. Most of the half-brainedIt's quite laughable how some people compare movies like this to things like some Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol movie. You think the effects aren't that good? Oh, I wonder why. This movie was made in 1977. Most of the half-brained morons who are giving this movie bad ratings were probably not even within 10 years of being born. Great movie. Expand
sammurphy66Jul 24, 2014
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is without any doubt the greatest film ever created - and will remain in that prestigious position for years to come.
Mordovan89Mar 2, 2014
I personally do not give you 10 followed, but this movie is super entertaining, with a shuddering sound, unforgettable music and a wonderful story.
Although it is unrealistic, this will be the best science fiction movie.
moviefanatic15Jul 7, 2015
Star Wars. What can I say about it that hasn't been said before. To me Star wars is one of those films where you watch it over and over again. I think this film is full of almost every genre. Science-fiction, adventure, action, etc. EverStar Wars. What can I say about it that hasn't been said before. To me Star wars is one of those films where you watch it over and over again. I think this film is full of almost every genre. Science-fiction, adventure, action, etc. Ever since I saw this film, I have become a total movie fan and a star wars fan. If my life didn't have star wars in it, my life would be a dark place. I've seen this movie so many times that when I finish watching a screening, I feel like I haven't seen it enough times. Expand
nintendoid13Dec 22, 2010
Ok, movielonely94, you need to take a look at the DVD case again. A New Hope was the FIRST and the best of the STAR WARS series. Anyway, this movie has everything: story, actors, genius director, and the great mystery of Darth Vader. A-MAZING!
beingryanjudeAug 24, 2014
This is where all of the magic begins. George Lucas' great cinematic adventure takes off just as it should. It's one for history. More than revolutionary for science-fiction in 1977.
ReubenIsAGodDec 16, 2015
One of the greatest scifi films of all time, such amazing depth to this intrrgalaxtic spaceopera it is amazing amd worth all your time. So go out and watch star wars
Cole123Dec 1, 2013
Great action scenes,story and mind blowing special effects for the time(They still look good today).Without a doubt this is not just the best star wars movie but also the best sci-fi film ever made.
TerenceYiboFeb 3, 2014
虽然没有炫目的特效,但本片仍是所有科幻电影中的佼佼者,电影故事精彩,配乐激赞,拥有丰富的人物角色,外星人的设计都很有趣,现在看1977年的特效还是很为当时的电影人感到佩服。
MovieGuysApr 22, 2014
While I'm not a Star Wars fan like many people out there, that doesn't mean I can't like the movies. I would not say this is my all-time favorite movie, but Lucas definitely succeeds here. The intricate world he has created is tough to beat.While I'm not a Star Wars fan like many people out there, that doesn't mean I can't like the movies. I would not say this is my all-time favorite movie, but Lucas definitely succeeds here. The intricate world he has created is tough to beat. The fact that there are still stories left untold is amazing to me. Expand
BatFat09Feb 21, 2014
Star Wars in a whole is awesome. I cannot believe that it doesn't have an 100 rating. This classic movie is among the most influential movies of all time, I believe its popularity will stay huge just like wizard of oz.
MichaelBagamerySep 5, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, this is a good movie, but not QUITE the classic I'd always been conditioned to expect. (That honour I reserve for 'The Empire Strikes Back'.) While the action is pretty thrilling, it also takes a while to get off the ground (no pun intended), which may have something to do with how heavy it is on the exposition, especially with the opening crawl. (Even if the movie was being funded by a then-dying studio, that's no excuse to disregard that old rule 'show, don't tell'.)

Having said that, I can see why this flick is so beloved. There's going into space, two protagonists who are more like us than we want to admit, and of course, what nearly everyone wants to do: saving the world. It looks really good, especially for 1977, though seeing as I had to watch the remastered version, the CGI sticks out pretty clearly.

It's worth your time to watch it, just a bit less so than its first sequel and later works like 'The Matrix' and 'Serenity'.
JoshLuck1995Aug 6, 2014
Watching it now you cannot help but notice some of the funny special effects but thats pretty irrelevant, for its time it is a beautiful film and of course its the film that started it all, fantastic film especially for its time and a must watch.
DenisManuSep 3, 2014
Star Wars is a fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Action Adventure movie that takes place:"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." and tells the story of a young boy who wants to become something more than what he was raised for.But withoutStar Wars is a fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Action Adventure movie that takes place:"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." and tells the story of a young boy who wants to become something more than what he was raised for.But without any preparations he enters in this dangerous adventure, finding dark secrets of his past, in order for him to become a hero that will save the universe.The movie is filled with fantastic quotable lines of dialogue and a classic adventure of good vs evil. Expand
Ham_CriticAug 22, 2015
Anybody that thinks this movie is bad, doesn't have good taste. This was the movie that changed the way films are made, the special effects were amazing for it's time.
MrMovieBuffDec 16, 2015
One of the most (if not THE most) revolutionary and groundbreaking science fiction movies of all time, "Star Wars" (or "Episode IV: A New Hope") is a brilliantly inventive and always engaging science fiction adventure filled with charactersOne of the most (if not THE most) revolutionary and groundbreaking science fiction movies of all time, "Star Wars" (or "Episode IV: A New Hope") is a brilliantly inventive and always engaging science fiction adventure filled with characters who we come to know and love in the history of cinema and great special effects that may not hold up to this day, but for a movie made in 1977, you got to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Mark Hamill stars as the movie's main protagonist, Luke Skywalker, who is a young man that discovers that he can be so much more after meeting Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness) who tells him about his history with his father and how he was trained.

Luke ends up meeting some more colorful characters on his journey to saving the Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) from the evil Darth Vader (voiced by James Earl Jones) whose plan is to destroy the Rebel Alliance. More characters that help out include Han Solo (Harrison Ford), his Wookiee Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew) and two droids, C-3PO (Anthony Daniels) and R2-D2 (Kenny Baker).

What writer and director George Lucas has created is a fantasy world of his own, and it became one of the most legendary, and culturally significant pieces of motion picture ever. The story is engaging and well told, and even well thought out. We come to care for the characters as soon as we're introduced to them, and we would never know where the motion picture would be today, if "Star Wars" never happened.

Little do we know, that there would be more engaging stories that follow.
TheDude-Sep 9, 2015
A new hope is a fantastic science fiction film with a story that resembles that of greek mythology but brings it in the most exciting of ways with great characters and dialogue moments between eachother and the cherry on top is theA new hope is a fantastic science fiction film with a story that resembles that of greek mythology but brings it in the most exciting of ways with great characters and dialogue moments between eachother and the cherry on top is the groundbreaking special effects and action sequences. Expand
FarhanFirozOct 2, 2015
This is one of the best movies i've seen and this movie revolutionizes the whole cinema. This movie is a timeless classic.There is nothing to hate in the movie. The story is simple and great.The VFX were mind blowing when it was released inThis is one of the best movies i've seen and this movie revolutionizes the whole cinema. This movie is a timeless classic.There is nothing to hate in the movie. The story is simple and great.The VFX were mind blowing when it was released in 1977. And it still holds up till now. Darth Vader is one of most iconic villian's I've seen on the big screen. All the characters are likeable and you care for these characters too. The action was great in the movie. Han solo and Chewbacca brings all the laughs to the movie. The chemistry between obi wan and Luke was so good. The movie explores well the universe. The score of the movie is one of the best things which made the movie great. The only issue I had with the movie was the last fight between obi wan and Darth Vader wasn't impacting.

In the end star wars is a must see movie for all generation and your going to have a blast with it.
Cheesus00Jul 10, 2015
Without it, I doubt that many of today's blockbusters would exist. It may not have changed the way movies were told but it certainly changed the way they were made, introducing to us many new ideas and concepts in the visual effects medium.Without it, I doubt that many of today's blockbusters would exist. It may not have changed the way movies were told but it certainly changed the way they were made, introducing to us many new ideas and concepts in the visual effects medium. It is without a question the ultimate blockbuster, and that is just scraping the surface of how influential and great it is. Easily in my Top 10 Favorites list along with Episode 5. Expand
YellowKirbyOct 25, 2015
This sci-fi classic was the perfect start to one of the greatest film sagas of all time, featuring great characters, good performances, an intriguing story and the greatest villain in cinema history (who also has the most famous breath inThis sci-fi classic was the perfect start to one of the greatest film sagas of all time, featuring great characters, good performances, an intriguing story and the greatest villain in cinema history (who also has the most famous breath in cinema history). Expand
DanBurritoDec 18, 2015
Star Wars-the mother of all blockbuster films to come! If you haven't seen any if these movies yet, you're not a true movie lover. Darth Vader is the best movie villain of all time, and Han Solo is definitely one of the best heroes. If thereStar Wars-the mother of all blockbuster films to come! If you haven't seen any if these movies yet, you're not a true movie lover. Darth Vader is the best movie villain of all time, and Han Solo is definitely one of the best heroes. If there was one problem I had, it would be Grand Moff Tarkin-Peter Cushing played him really well and all, but he kind of got in the way during some scenes. Darth Vader is definitely a more interesting character. Anyway, despite minor problems, it's a great movie with great characters and a great story. A treat for sci-fi fans. P.S, a message to all the fans to make something clear-Han. Shot. First. Expand
billJul 15, 2009
This is indeed the best sci-fi film ever. I loved this movie when I was three and still love it to this day. A great story.
7 of 8 users found this helpful
SayantanC.Jul 16, 2009
This was great and behind empire strikes back is the best star wars film.
4 of 5 users found this helpful
gm101Mar 29, 2011
This was the movie that started it all. The reason the Star Wars saga still influences us in our daily lives was because of this one movie. Thank you George Lucas for giving us a masterpiece and creating the best saga ever!
ChristopherEMay 7, 2009
I emerged from the theater a changed 6 year old. Despite some bad acting and average directing, this movie remains one of the greatest in sci-fi.
2 of 3 users found this helpful
WhiteTalpaDec 6, 2012
Great story, amazing characters, good special effects (1977) and also some fantastic music by John Williams. Overall this film was amazing one of the best sci-fi films of all time.
grandpajoe6191Sep 24, 2011
For those who criticize "Star Wars: A New Hope" for its lack of character depth and uninspired story, shut up. George Lucas created a amazing adventure movie with extremely marvelous CGI...in 1977! Think twice before you criticize the movie, noobs.
CritiqueGirlMar 4, 2011
This was the best of the original series and all the others after those 3 were awful. I actually liked the originals before the digital remastering. At the end the theater yelled hooray and clapped. Well, way back when.
j30Jan 30, 2012
Star Wars: A New Hope is a excellent piece of science-fiction that dreams big and never looks back.
PachekoviskMar 16, 2016
GREAT
It's Star Wars..... I have to say something else?
It's one of the greatest movies of all time, and one of my favorites.
Even if you don't like Star Wars, you have to recognise it's importance for cinema.
MovieLonely94Nov 2, 2010
excellent sequel in the series.
JoeD.Oct 3, 2006
This movie has to be the best movie ever made by man, this was probably the birth to almost 50% of the good movies we have today. This movie definitely changed the world.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
schwarz_kelloggDec 29, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only a 7/10.
As a 1977 movie, the production is quite good I guess. However the movie seriously lack depth... Failed to portrait any sort of emotions of characters particularly in terms of death of people: death of uncle/aunt of Luke, death of pilots, and eventually death of Obi-Wan which things I have to say make the movie pretty plain and flat. Storyline-wise, it's pretty straight forward - no surprise
ZilcellMay 28, 2012
Star Wars started here. It has plenty of action and story and the characters are anything but lifeless. If you hate this then you are souless.
imthenoobJun 9, 2013
While it was Phantom Menace that got me into Star Wars, A New Hope will always be the best film of the series. Hands down the best sci-fi film of all time.
CineAutoctonoMay 4, 2016
I chanced to see today this May 4 anniversary of Star Wars to see the first movie in the series but with the fourth episode which is I think where begins , and it was amazing, I felt the strength and I took the boldness to see the saga allI chanced to see today this May 4 anniversary of Star Wars to see the first movie in the series but with the fourth episode which is I think where begins , and it was amazing, I felt the strength and I took the boldness to see the saga all week. As for the very good movie action scenes, and characters are excellent, I am a fan. Expand
aadityamudharApr 6, 2016
This was a revolutionary movie that established sci-fi as a financially popular genre and allowed many more movies to come to the fore. The backstory might even be better than the actual movie.
CinemassacreMar 13, 2016
The story is an engaging space adventure which takes itself seriously while occasionally admitting an affectionate poke at the genre. The most immediate frame of reference is Flash Gordon, but it’s more than that; it’s an Errol Flynn escapistThe story is an engaging space adventure which takes itself seriously while occasionally admitting an affectionate poke at the genre. The most immediate frame of reference is Flash Gordon, but it’s more than that; it’s an Errol Flynn escapist adventure, and befitting that, composer John Williams and orchestrator Herbert W. Spencer have supplied a rousing score worthy of Korngold and Steiner.

Like a breath or fresh air, “Star Wars” sweeps away the cynicism that has in recent years obscured the concepts of valor, dedication and honor. Make no mistake – this is by no means a “children’s film,” with all the derogatory overtones that go with that description. This is instead a superior example of what only the screen can achieve, and closer to home, it is another affirmation of what only Hollywood can put on a screen.

In casting his principals, Lucas chose three not-so-familiar faces, all young, talented and designed to make the story one of people, not of garish gadgetry. The superb balance of technology and human drama is one of the many achievements: one identifies with the characters and accepts, as do they, the intriguing intergalactic world in which they live.

Carrie Fisher, previously in a small role in “Shampoo,” is delightful as the regal, but spunky princess on a rebel planet who has been kidnapped by Peter Cushing, would-be ruler of the universe. Mark Hamill, previously a TV player, is excellent as a farm boy who sets out to rescue Fisher in league with Alec Guinness, last survivor of a band of noble knights. Harrison Ford, previously in Lucas’ “American Graffiti” and Francis Coppola’s “The Conversation,” is outstanding as a likeable mercenary pilot who joins our friends with his pal Peter Mayhew, a quassi-monkey creature with blue eyes whom Fisher calls “a walking rug.”

Both Guinness and Cushing bring the right measure of majesty to their opposite characters. One of Cushing’s key aides is played by David Prowse, destined to a fatal duel with Guinness, with whom he shares mystical powers. Prowse’s face is concealed behind frightening black armor. James Earl Jones, unbilled, provides a note of sonorous menace as Prowse’s voice. Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker play a Mutt-and-Jeff team of kooky robots.

The heroes and the heavies joust through an exciting series of confrontations, replete with laser guns and other futuristic equipment, building suspense towards the climactic destruction of Cushing’s war-mongering planet. Several chase and escape sequences are likely to stimulate spontaneous audience applause.

Lucas is no credit hog, and all contributions are acknowledged on the end titles, bearing all the names listed above as well as assistants in various categories. The film opens, after the 20th logo, with the type of receding crawl that Flash Gordon fans will recognize. Locations in Tunisia, Death Valley, Guatemala and Africa were utilized, and interiors were shot at EMI’s British studios where the terrific score was also recorded. But the technical effects were all done here. Technicolor did the production color work, and DeLuxe the prints. Use of Dolby sound enhances the overall impact.

Lucas’ first feature, “THX-1138,” was also futuristic in tone, but there the story emphasis was on machines controlling man. In “Star Wars” the people remain the masters of the hardware, thereby striking a more resonant note of empathy and hope. This is the kind of film in which an audience, first entertained, can later walk out feeling good all over.
SanDiegoMar 14, 2016
I know this movie is the best of all time. My favourite character is Darth Vader because he's awesome. I like the future, the ships, the weapons and fight scenes. Everybody loves it.
JoroAMar 21, 2016
A revolutionary movie for it's time! A classic! The movie that inspired generations of filmmakers. It is fun to watch and holds well to this day. It has great music and action for it's time, it does however, suffer from it's dialogue a bitA revolutionary movie for it's time! A classic! The movie that inspired generations of filmmakers. It is fun to watch and holds well to this day. It has great music and action for it's time, it does however, suffer from it's dialogue a bit and the pacing at times is a bit slow. But the characters are always interesting so even if it slows down it does not affect the movie by much. Expand
MovieMasterEdMar 22, 2016
When Star Wars was first released on the Wednesday before Memorial Day in 1977, it arrived in theaters with good reviews and excellent advance word. It didn't take long for it to become a phenomenon (although, admittedly, 1997's publicity forWhen Star Wars was first released on the Wednesday before Memorial Day in 1977, it arrived in theaters with good reviews and excellent advance word. It didn't take long for it to become a phenomenon (although, admittedly, 1997's publicity for the Special Edition dwarfs that of the original 1977 release). It was a true family film -- perfect for kids and parents, a throwback to the space serials of the past and a look ahead to what the future might hold. Adults appreciated Lucas' masterful, magical movie-making. Children loved all the strange creatures. Suddenly, Star Wars was everywhere; there were bed sheets, lunch boxes, trading cards, action figures, comic books, picture books, posters, records, and just about anything else you could imagine.

The Star Wars fad, such as it was, lasted into the early '80s, and the original film received two additional theatrical runs. Then it was on to the small screen. But watching the movie on videotape, which has been the exclusive viewing experience of just about anyone under the age of twenty, isn't the same as seeing it in a packed theater. Now, however, with the advent of the original movie's twentieth anniversary and the promise of new films in another two years, Star Wars is as hot as it has ever been. Those predicting anything less than a financial windfall for the Special Edition don't have the world's pulse.

Star Wars borrows from numerous sources, but the most obvious inspirations are the serialized adventures of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, Arthurian legends, Greek mythology, and Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress. There are also multiple nods to Westerns and the dogfights of World War II movies. But, like all great craftsmen, Lucas has managed to fashion this material in a manner that not only honors the original sources, but makes it uniquely his own. Hacks rip off other movies; artists synthesize and pay homage to their inspirations. Compare Independence Day to Star Wars and the difference will become apparent.

During its original period of theatrical release, Star Wars' special effects were described as everything from "eye popping" to "mind blowing". And, indeed, for their time, they were. (Keep in mind that King Kong's rather cheesy visuals had won the Academy Award just two months before Star Wars was released.) In fact, they're not bad even by today's standards. But "not bad" wasn't good enough for Lucas, and his vision of what they should have been fills the screen in the Special Edition. This is most notable during three key sequences: Luke and Ben's entry into the city of Mos Eisley, Han's heretofore unseen hanger bay meeting with Jabba the Hut, and the final attack on the Death Star. However, in scenes both with and without effects improvements, Star Wars is just as compelling and invigorating a movie experience today as it was when it first came out, and the new stuff blends in seamlessly with the old.

Like all great craftsmen, Lucas has managed to fashion this material in a manner that not only honors the original sources, but makes it uniquely his own. Hacks rip off other movies; artists synthesize and pay homage to their inspirations.

Since 1977, there have been many science fiction movies, but none has managed to equal Star Wars' blend of adventure, likable characters, and epic storytelling. Like some indefatigable King of the Hill, it stands alone and triumphant, regardless of the many imitators that assail its position. As is true of Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Gone with the Wind, Star Wars will endure long after its creators are gone. And watching this new edition today is like coming home after a long journey and finding everything just as you remember it -- if not better.
DavidH.Mar 5, 2006
This film changed my life & the lives of thousands of kids who were receptive to the story this film told. We all wanted to be luke skywalker, to save the princess & defeat the Empire. I was an 18 year old lad & filled up as Luke stood This film changed my life & the lives of thousands of kids who were receptive to the story this film told. We all wanted to be luke skywalker, to save the princess & defeat the Empire. I was an 18 year old lad & filled up as Luke stood before the twin setting suns of tatooine, whishing he could leave the moisture farm & join the rebellion. This film will never be bettered. Expand
CharlieW.Feb 21, 2006
A fun and exciting movie. I hated to see Ben die.
AustinW.May 5, 2006
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Special Edition Re-Release. Wow. I thought it was a 2004 Re-Release. The thing that made me take several points off was that the graphics during the rematch Ben Kenobi Vs. Darth Vader were not clear. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Special Edition Re-Release. Wow. I thought it was a 2004 Re-Release. The thing that made me take several points off was that the graphics during the rematch Ben Kenobi Vs. Darth Vader were not clear. Otherwise, the story was perfect. The birth of Star Wars was great, after watching the film, American Graffiti. It was a fun and exciting movie, but, I prefer Revenge of the Sith. Expand
JefferyB.Oct 12, 2005
It's a TEN. What more can me said about it. Whoever hasn't seen it, it's a crime. It's a moral imperative that every human person on this planet catch the magnitude of this story. It's too bad that this is not on It's a TEN. What more can me said about it. Whoever hasn't seen it, it's a crime. It's a moral imperative that every human person on this planet catch the magnitude of this story. It's too bad that this is not on DVD. It's a shame that we will probably never see it on DVD. Unless you can find it on VHS, younger generations will never truly appreciate the development of our heroes from this film to it relevant sequals. Expand
DavidF.Apr 22, 2006
Pretty much flawless. The best film ever made in my opnion. I would love to see a new trilogy chronicling the story of Solo's and Leia's children in the style of the original trilogy, without the over reliance on CGI of the new Pretty much flawless. The best film ever made in my opnion. I would love to see a new trilogy chronicling the story of Solo's and Leia's children in the style of the original trilogy, without the over reliance on CGI of the new trilogy and witty diologue and characters you actually care about. Expand
PhilipR.Aug 19, 2006
There is no sci-fi film better than star wars.. although i did prefer episode 3 :D, but i suppose thats due to my generation.
JohnW.Mar 31, 2007
If you were a young child in the 70's then this is the first movie that left you in utter jaw dropping awe, the opening scene is classic, as are so many other scenes. It beats out all other movies becasue it's ground breaking WOW If you were a young child in the 70's then this is the first movie that left you in utter jaw dropping awe, the opening scene is classic, as are so many other scenes. It beats out all other movies becasue it's ground breaking WOW factor. After that no other movie could or would becasue our expectations were raised by that movie like no other that has come after it. The greatest film of the 20th century Expand
AlexG.Apr 15, 2008
Ignore the crappy sci-fi effects this was the late 70s but this is a film classic not to be missed....
HDec 18, 2005
Awsome period. the birth of the best series ever.
stanleyh.Oct 27, 2005
Excellent.
SamMay 13, 2006
Star Wars: A New Hope is one of the few All-American science fiction movies that you can call "glorious entertainment." That is an cinema achievement right there.
StephenC.May 13, 2007
The film was genius. Just a low score on graphics, even when it was remastered.
PeterR.Dec 15, 2006
Possibly the best and most original movie (series) to ever grace the industry. It hit the world with an outstanding BOOM. It's legacy prevails for almost 4 decades now. Comedy from Harrison Ford is remarkable and makes him an Possibly the best and most original movie (series) to ever grace the industry. It hit the world with an outstanding BOOM. It's legacy prevails for almost 4 decades now. Comedy from Harrison Ford is remarkable and makes him an unforgettable character. Drama and Music are the best from the series (who would EVER forget the Main Title Theme? Let alone, the "I am your father.") With the re-release in 2004, it makes up for it's one flaw (but not back in 1977) bad CGI. Also, the ending is revisited and puts Anakin from Episode III next to Obi-Wan and Yoda, as spirits. A perfect ending. I felt complete after watching this movie, it would be great, but, I'm fine without any sequels. Expand
PaxsterSep 21, 2010
I don't think anyone can doubt the cult and classic status of this film. Great characters,original idea and an interesting storyline make it a good film. However, why not a 9 or a 10 then? Well, it probably doesn't help that I'm not theI don't think anyone can doubt the cult and classic status of this film. Great characters,original idea and an interesting storyline make it a good film. However, why not a 9 or a 10 then? Well, it probably doesn't help that I'm not the biggest fan of sci-fi blockbusters and to some people the chase sequence near the end is the best part but for me it goes on a little to long. Although vader is a classic image I don't think he is enough of an enigma. A shout out to Harrison Ford though,a great performance. Expand
JacobNov 24, 2015
Star Wars is fun. The characters and story are simple and nothing too deep, that’ll come later but they are functional. They are all effective at what they do and are people I’ve become invested in, the story is effectively based starting outStar Wars is fun. The characters and story are simple and nothing too deep, that’ll come later but they are functional. They are all effective at what they do and are people I’ve become invested in, the story is effectively based starting out exciting then slowing down and gradually speeding up constantly keeping the plot moving while slowly revealing information about the world as we need to know it. I feel like a lot of the love for this movie is nostalgia as again there’s nothing too deep about it and the film is a tad cheesy. There is one thing that holds up about Star Wars and even now blows me away and that’s the visuals. The visual spectacle is strong with this one. The costumes, score, and action all a wonder to look at as its become iconic for a reason. Star Wars is a fun movie but the particularly effective presentation combined with tons of nostalgia make it an enjoyable movie that I’m always willing to back to. It’s good to remember going into The Force Awakens that Star Wars was a fun movie with a lot of visual spectacle and didn’t have a deep story. While nostalgia may win allow this classic to win out in the end it makes me reason that even if the new movie is good that doesn’t mean that it failed because at the end of the day the original was a fun movie with presentation being an especial highlight. Expand
asylumspadezNov 21, 2011
Easily one of the greatest films of all time. A New Hope is a classic original sci-fi film that established George Lucas as one of the premire directors of our time. The only flaw is that the acting could have been a lot better.
TokyochuchuNov 16, 2015
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is a classic movie that I must have watched a million times when I was a boy. Now I'm old and have children of my own and sharing Star Wars with them was a magical moment. They love it! Stars Wars is a trulyStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is a classic movie that I must have watched a million times when I was a boy. Now I'm old and have children of my own and sharing Star Wars with them was a magical moment. They love it! Stars Wars is a truly timeless film that still excites to this day. Expand
J42HmusicDec 9, 2011
It is always good to see a film that relies on character development, and this is what we get. A wonderful mixture of science fiction action and clever ideas, which not only accompanies a journey to destroy the Death Star, but also a quest toIt is always good to see a film that relies on character development, and this is what we get. A wonderful mixture of science fiction action and clever ideas, which not only accompanies a journey to destroy the Death Star, but also a quest to connect a brilliantly-acted group of characters. If you don't see this film, you don't known what good science-fiction is... Expand
doctor2001Apr 25, 2011
One of the best films ever made only topped by episode V . It begins the best Sc-fi series of films ever made. George Lucas' second best film. Enough Said :)
JawsPapi87Aug 9, 2011
It started it all. This movie was the best back then and quite simply is just as magnificent and engaging now. It is a pivotal moment in American cinema and culture. You can't deny the genius of this movie
JSweek91Oct 4, 2011
This is without a shadow of a doubt the finest sci-fi film ever made and, I dare say, the greatest overall movie of all time. Should have won the best picture oscar instead of "Annie Hall". Absolute Classic!!!
KubrickFanNov 11, 2011
Possibly the most fun anyone can hope to get out of two hours of film, although it can come off as a little cheesy, under-budget, and badly acted in some places. Ignoring these bad points (as I'm sure we all do when we watch it) Star Wars isPossibly the most fun anyone can hope to get out of two hours of film, although it can come off as a little cheesy, under-budget, and badly acted in some places. Ignoring these bad points (as I'm sure we all do when we watch it) Star Wars is a brilliant film. It's an exciting and vibrant space drama, where everything in it has been done before, but at the same time it feels very original. Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness both have decent turns as Hans Solo and Obi wan Kenobi (or maybe they just look good next to Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil), and James Earl Jones makes the character Darth Vader into a bold and intimidating villain with his powerfully deep voice. The plot just sort of takes the characters from one spectacular action seen to another, but with this film Lucas created a compelling world and characters, things that would be expanded in future instalments. Expand
MetallicCriticDec 13, 2011
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..". This is the part where the dramatic music is supposed to play. But not wasting any time lets get started with the review. I have to say, one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. Also one of my"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..". This is the part where the dramatic music is supposed to play. But not wasting any time lets get started with the review. I have to say, one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. Also one of my personal favorites. I couldn't find anything wrong with this one. Except maybe the acting. The characters are spot on with there personality. So I was able to overlook the decent acting. Awesome special effects that changed film making for years to come. Started a huge franchise that I am personally a fan of. Star Wars took us on a journey light years away that made us believe that not everything in the future is shiny and brand new. My favorite part? Simple, when Luke blew up the Death Star. Imagine how that would have looked in a theater. In conclusion, I recommend this to movie lovers not just nerds. Expand
devo-ncSep 1, 2015
A visual landmark in cinema, and something for the ages, no matter how cheesy or plain-jane the story might be, it's a joy of sleek beginnings for the Sci-Fi genre, however it hasn't quite stood the test of time in a way where if it were toA visual landmark in cinema, and something for the ages, no matter how cheesy or plain-jane the story might be, it's a joy of sleek beginnings for the Sci-Fi genre, however it hasn't quite stood the test of time in a way where if it were to release now A New Hope would be a boring old dog with no new tricks. But from a 'certain point of view' it's like stepping back into the late 70's and immersing yourself into a wondrous cinematic experience of imagining what it must have been like in it's time. There's a magical presence in this film, it's a cherisher that gets put in the cupboard but has to be dusted off because it's been at least 7 years since the last viewing. Expand
Mad_Hatter91Jun 23, 2012
The beginning of one of the most epic sagas of history. George Lucas has made ​​a huge masterpiece highly original that still manages to surprise everyone.
ryflemanJan 7, 2012
Truly unique and inspired, Star Wars (A New Hope) is a hallmark in film making and one of the best films ever made, it redefines it's genre and and set the groundwork for 5 sequels (unfortunately only 3 where good), countless spin off videoTruly unique and inspired, Star Wars (A New Hope) is a hallmark in film making and one of the best films ever made, it redefines it's genre and and set the groundwork for 5 sequels (unfortunately only 3 where good), countless spin off video games and easily a multibillion dollar franchise. Expand
GreatbealloFeb 8, 2012
George Lucas tapped into greatness with the original Star Wars trilogy. A New Hope was truly revolutionary when it was released in 77, and it holds up very well, despite some out of date special effects. This is a movie to be cherished andGeorge Lucas tapped into greatness with the original Star Wars trilogy. A New Hope was truly revolutionary when it was released in 77, and it holds up very well, despite some out of date special effects. This is a movie to be cherished and remembered as one of the greatest science fiction films ever produced. Expand
OnAnarchyAug 18, 2012
Classic film. The one and only reason this isn't rated a perfect 10 is because Empire Strikes Back is better, and needs to be rated higher in my books.
IplayGAMESone23Mar 23, 2012
Star Wars is one of the most revolutionary movies ever. It was edited in the studio now called Pixar which has produced some of the most AWESOME kids' movies EVER. I think it mixed different true movie aspects very well, and it definitelyStar Wars is one of the most revolutionary movies ever. It was edited in the studio now called Pixar which has produced some of the most AWESOME kids' movies EVER. I think it mixed different true movie aspects very well, and it definitely hits the spot. Expand
JuanoloApr 2, 2012
First off, I would give this movie a 9.5 out of 10. Great 70s scifi film. Acting great. Mark, and Carrie, and Harrison all did good In this movie. Score is great. Classical star wars music is great. The story is also really good. TheFirst off, I would give this movie a 9.5 out of 10. Great 70s scifi film. Acting great. Mark, and Carrie, and Harrison all did good In this movie. Score is great. Classical star wars music is great. The story is also really good. The effects are really good to. Considering the time perod, they're stunning. Overall, New Hope is a great star wars film. A great way to start a successful franchise. Expand
ObbiePR18Apr 3, 2012
Esta pelicula debio sorprender a aquellos que pagaron su entreda en el 1977. Es completamente fantastica!, Star Wars: A New Hope es un clasico de la ciencia ficcion. Una pelicula que marco esquemas y que se ha convertido en una de las mejoresEsta pelicula debio sorprender a aquellos que pagaron su entreda en el 1977. Es completamente fantastica!, Star Wars: A New Hope es un clasico de la ciencia ficcion. Una pelicula que marco esquemas y que se ha convertido en una de las mejores peliculas de todos los tiempos.La verdad es que cuando la vi, quede sorprendido por la calidad de sus efectos especiales y por la historia. Es super entretenida. Una joya de pelicula. Gracias George Lucas! Expand
potatoes351Oct 31, 2012
The original Star wars film, one of the best and one that will live on in history forever. A New Hope tells the story of a now grown up Luke Skywalker, son of the fearsome Jedi knight Anakin who was killed by the dark side. After being foundThe original Star wars film, one of the best and one that will live on in history forever. A New Hope tells the story of a now grown up Luke Skywalker, son of the fearsome Jedi knight Anakin who was killed by the dark side. After being found by Ben Kenobi (Obi-Wan) Luke begins Jedi training to fight back against the Empire and its oppressive reign over the galaxy. Great CGI for 1977 and one of the best Sci-fi films ever made. Collapse
WazzlesFeb 5, 2015
Excellent film that doesn't quite hold up today, due mostly to a somewhat slow pacing. The effects of the theatrical version, obviously, are also dated, but hold a certain charm due to how much effort was put into them. Most of these effectsExcellent film that doesn't quite hold up today, due mostly to a somewhat slow pacing. The effects of the theatrical version, obviously, are also dated, but hold a certain charm due to how much effort was put into them. Most of these effects were near the end of the film, and were completely replaced for the various Special Editions. On that note, I should mention the Special Editions. The only version of this film that truly matters is the 1977 original theatrical version. The SEs remove the ground-breaking, Oscar winning effects that changed movie making forever, replacing them with CGI. Story elements were also changed for the worse, the most obvious being the Han and Greedo scene. Rating the SEs, I would give all three SEs of Star Wars a 6.5-7/10.

This film and its two sequels are absolute must-sees, but only in their original versions. Seek out the ever-rarer DVD version or a widescreen VHS copy, and enjoy.
wesker2012Jun 1, 2012
Classic.
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
I've seen this movie so many times, and it never gets old. George Lucas redefined the science-fiction genre with this classic film. The special effects aren't in as good of shape as they are in the prequels, but every other aspect possible isI've seen this movie so many times, and it never gets old. George Lucas redefined the science-fiction genre with this classic film. The special effects aren't in as good of shape as they are in the prequels, but every other aspect possible is greater. Expand
starwarsfanaticAug 1, 2012
Star Wars is still, in my opinion, the greatest film in this series and of all time. Yes, I think it is even better than Empire. Everything that happens and all the characters just feel right.
Jack97Jan 4, 2014
I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I am a fan of Episode IV. It's not necessarily over the top in the action sequences and the characters are relatively likeable. It's one of the all time best science fiction films.
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
It lacks the depth and insight that great science fiction films have, such as 2001, but it was an astonishing technological accomplishment for its time, and brought inspiration for many films.
jfrotylpe532Dec 4, 2012
The movie that changed the way we look at movies. With amazing special effects and out of this world sci-fi action makes this film an easy A+. Well done George Lucas for actually making a good film.
Compi24Feb 21, 2013
With a plethora of perfect characters, a classic story, a legendarily outstanding score,and a still-awe-inspiring set of technical triumphs, "Star Wars" still remains the representative pinnacle of action/adventure stories.
SwatiDec 5, 2013
We get sucked right into the conflict that took place long ago on a galaxy far far away. Princess Leia is in possession of some secret documents that may help the rebels' cause against the tyranny of the empire. She is captured by theirWe get sucked right into the conflict that took place long ago on a galaxy far far away. Princess Leia is in possession of some secret documents that may help the rebels' cause against the tyranny of the empire. She is captured by their commander of forces, a black-armoured Darth Vader.

On a desert planet we meet young Luke Skywalker, who dreams big but has to help his uncle tend to his lands. He joins the conflict on the side of the rebels on Obi-Wan Kenobi's behest. They come across an ace pilot named Han Solo who agrees in return for a ridiculous amount of money to transport them to where they need to go. The empire has a huge space station called the Death Star, which can literally blow any planet they want to, and this is what the party runs into inadvertently.

Then follows a battle of wits and good luck as they escape capture on the ship while also trying to rescue the princess. In the last half hour we are introduced to the rebel main base hidden on a moon of some unknown planet. They must battle it out with the Death Star before it destroys the moon, which I found odd since the empire seems not to care much about anything, surely destroying the planet would have been an easier and much quicker way to destroy the moon, but I digress. Luke Skywalker rises to the occasion and shows the sign of promise he was destined for, according to Kenobi.

What pulled me out of the story is the complete failure of Luke to convince me how normal people behave when their close ones suffer in some way. He seemed without a soul. At one point a planet is destroyed, which according to one character had millions of people living on it, but not a single f*** is given. No one sheds a tear, not even the character whose homeland it seems to be. At one point Kenobi remarks about how the stormtroopers, the foot soldiers of the empire must have done something that needed a great marksmanship, yet later we witness their complete incompetence in the field they were hired for.

I must also make an observation that Star Wars is not a science fiction film, but a fantasy set in space. The galaxy is more like a single country, with planets like the different regions, some barren, others populated, with plenty of space to hide oneself. Perhaps science fantasy, as some people have called it, is a much more apt description. Lucas uses all the old elements of fantasy. A large dangerous world filled with fiendish villains, a boy at a farm who is called to an adventure and finds that he has a strength that someone who may have had years of learning and practice and much bigger resources could not hope to have. To his credit, Lucas establishes from the get-go that whatever follows has already happened a long time ago in some other galaxy. Its up to us if we want to see serious science fiction or a narrative with interesting characters set in space and other planets. Perhaps the fact that it was set in space is why this movie was so successful. People just didn't care if it was impossible.

Star Wars, later renamed Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, must have been revolutionary for its time. The box office earnings show us how well the movie was received and made George Lucas a wealthy man overnight. But after decades of advancement in special effects, the sorry budget becomes more than obvious. That wouldn't have turned my view much if the story had been well handled, which was not. I couldn't really care about this conflict. Only when the three main characters are bickering between themselves is the movie entertaining. Lucas clearly had children in his mind as the target audience when he launched Star Wars, and it shows. It distracts from the story so much I couldn't ignore the gimmicks. Lucas realized to some extent that the audience were expecting more serious work from him, and the next instalment was a much better movie overall.
HealthConnectTVDec 4, 2012
One of the most important films of all-time. This is where it all started. Besides kickstarting a storied franchise, the film itself stands the test of time and is an absolute classic. If there were no other Star Wars episodes made toOne of the most important films of all-time. This is where it all started. Besides kickstarting a storied franchise, the film itself stands the test of time and is an absolute classic. If there were no other Star Wars episodes made to film, this movie would still have historical significance as an innovative and original story that brought new light to its genre. Expand
survivorfan989Sep 1, 2013
Its taken me a while but I have finally seen the first Star Wars film made! I'd previously seen Episodes 1 & 2 but didn't think much of them so I didn't bother to see the rest, but I'm giving them all a shot and so far I'm pretty impressed.Its taken me a while but I have finally seen the first Star Wars film made! I'd previously seen Episodes 1 & 2 but didn't think much of them so I didn't bother to see the rest, but I'm giving them all a shot and so far I'm pretty impressed. I'm not converted to a fan but it was an entertaining film and for its time quite effective I'm sure. I think perhaps if there were less politics and more action I'd show more interest, but overall a very good film and I'm looking forward to Episode 5! Expand