Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 25, 1977
Universal acclaim based on 1385 Ratings
1,290
WATCH NOW
rodericrinehartAug 14, 2010
This was a revolutionary movie that established scifi as a financially popular genre and allowed many more movies to come to the fore. The backstory might even be better than the actual movie.
MaxBMay 10, 2009
Anyone who says this movie is crap is crazy. Star Wars IV a New Hope is and will always remain an epic classic. It's so well done with a nice balance of action, comedy, and a brilliant story. A New Hope is like nothing you've every Anyone who says this movie is crap is crazy. Star Wars IV a New Hope is and will always remain an epic classic. It's so well done with a nice balance of action, comedy, and a brilliant story. A New Hope is like nothing you've every seen or will see. It remains to be the best of the Star Wars franchise. Expand
3 of 3 users found this helpful
FurbydudeDec 14, 2007
Star Wars (Episode IV - A New Hope) is an old movie yet it's one of the most awesome movies ever! if anyone wanted to watch other popular sci-fi stuff I would recommend Star Trek, or BBC's Doctor Who (i meant no offense)
SusanL.Mar 1, 2008
How many other films do people watch over and over?
Byronj.Apr 17, 2008
fantastic
S.B.MApr 25, 2008
If i know my star wars, this is probably the original version. if it is, then i would like to say this is way better than that crappy special edition one.
RobertW.Jun 20, 2008
Star Wars will forever be that timeless film we can watch time and time again and still feel the same way about it as we did in our youthful years.
OliverL.Oct 3, 2008
The best movie of the decade and almost best of the century. The excellent characters, first rate performances and John Williams perfect musical score make it near perfect.
MattMOct 29, 2008
Michael. H., you are in denial. this film happens to be the most successful and popular movie ever made. i guess everyone's a nerd, because everyone's seen star wars.
AlexCFeb 8, 2009
I'm not sure what happened to the two sequels to this movie on Megacritic, but they were superb too. But the prequels were piles of crap. The story of the original Star Wars is the reason why I'm proud to say that I love the Star I'm not sure what happened to the two sequels to this movie on Megacritic, but they were superb too. But the prequels were piles of crap. The story of the original Star Wars is the reason why I'm proud to say that I love the Star Wars franchise. Except for episode 1-3. Oh well. Expand
mikekMay 27, 2009
The first star wars i saw the commercials for the special edition in 1997 and thought it was a new movie then my mom tells me that's already out and she went to the local video store and rented it i most of watched it ten times before The first star wars i saw the commercials for the special edition in 1997 and thought it was a new movie then my mom tells me that's already out and she went to the local video store and rented it i most of watched it ten times before returning it to find their where sequels...i actually saw return of the jedi before empire..which was confusing..but this movie i now today live by the jedi way or at least try i am a fanboy and feel foolish not to of seen it till i was 8 now i can't comprehend not knowing it i even have a darth vader tattoo on my should so this is the one that started everything and is still amazing today. Expand
TheQuietGamerMar 19, 2011
A outstanding movie and the best of all the Star Wars movies, a true classic that is still a blast to watch today again and again, and because of this it gets a perfect 10, you must watch this movie.
tbagurdrumset94Jan 30, 2012
Just watched it for the millionth time... as always, I wanted to watch it again right away. Very few movies give me that feeling. The story is predictable, but in all the right ways. Besides, the unpredictability was to be saved for theJust watched it for the millionth time... as always, I wanted to watch it again right away. Very few movies give me that feeling. The story is predictable, but in all the right ways. Besides, the unpredictability was to be saved for the sequels... The acting? Does it LOOK like I care about the "bad" acting? Everyone is great. The characters are now so beloved, that there's no way for me to hate on them or the actors. Just go watch it again... Expand
MrScruffSep 3, 2012
A classic, pure imagination, creativity, and innovation went into creating this movie and it really stands out. The greatest sci-fi movie ever created.
PixarloverOct 17, 2012
Anyone who gave this a negative review were clearly out of their mind or they like Twilight. Who knows?

Star Wars... Come on, do I really have to go any further than just saying those two gorgeously combined words? This is where the franchise began. This is where the epic story would continue into many other forms of media beyond film.

Star Wars is simply the greatest movie ever made and gave birth to the Hollywood blockbusters we know and love today. A wholly epic piece of cinema that continues to live on after its theatrical release 35 years ago.
NecromusDec 4, 2012
Definitely one of the best movies of all time, a classic that forever changed the Sci-Fi genre forever with its improvised special effects visuals and sounds that became staples of the Sci-Fi movies, TV shows and Video games of the future.Definitely one of the best movies of all time, a classic that forever changed the Sci-Fi genre forever with its improvised special effects visuals and sounds that became staples of the Sci-Fi movies, TV shows and Video games of the future. The musical score was absolutely amazing, John Williams is a great composer who added a lot to many great Hollywood films. The main characters were all great actors and actresses. (only the minor characters sucked "look sir droids!", etc. lol). The movie even accidentally spawned an amazing line of toys too! This film was epic and very few come to mind when I try to think of movies as epic that have been released since then. Expand
esuJan 20, 2013
It's quite laughable how some people compare movies like this to things like some Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol movie. You think the effects aren't that good? Oh, I wonder why. This movie was made in 1977. Most of the half-brainedIt's quite laughable how some people compare movies like this to things like some Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol movie. You think the effects aren't that good? Oh, I wonder why. This movie was made in 1977. Most of the half-brained morons who are giving this movie bad ratings were probably not even within 10 years of being born. Great movie. Expand
Mordovan89Mar 2, 2014
I personally do not give you 10 followed, but this movie is super entertaining, with a shuddering sound, unforgettable music and a wonderful story.
Although it is unrealistic, this will be the best science fiction movie.
sammurphy66Jul 24, 2014
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is without any doubt the greatest film ever created - and will remain in that prestigious position for years to come.
moviefanatic15Jul 7, 2015
Star Wars. What can I say about it that hasn't been said before. To me Star wars is one of those films where you watch it over and over again. I think this film is full of almost every genre. Science-fiction, adventure, action, etc. EverStar Wars. What can I say about it that hasn't been said before. To me Star wars is one of those films where you watch it over and over again. I think this film is full of almost every genre. Science-fiction, adventure, action, etc. Ever since I saw this film, I have become a total movie fan and a star wars fan. If my life didn't have star wars in it, my life would be a dark place. I've seen this movie so many times that when I finish watching a screening, I feel like I haven't seen it enough times. Expand
BrandonBonaseraDec 16, 2015
Star Wars is a groundbreaking, entertaining and highly enthralling film that helped influence not just the childhoods of many people but also revolutionised cinema as we know it. Almost everything about the film is near-perfect; theStar Wars is a groundbreaking, entertaining and highly enthralling film that helped influence not just the childhoods of many people but also revolutionised cinema as we know it. Almost everything about the film is near-perfect; the performances are fantastic, the characters are iconic, the dialogue is the brilliant, the filmmaking and practical effects are phenomenal and still hold up today and the score by John Williams is one of the best ever composed. The few flaws with the film include a couple shoddy lines of dialogue and some questionable actions made by the characters, but besides those it's a great and highly enjoyable film. Expand
nintendoid13Dec 22, 2010
Ok, movielonely94, you need to take a look at the DVD case again. A New Hope was the FIRST and the best of the STAR WARS series. Anyway, this movie has everything: story, actors, genius director, and the great mystery of Darth Vader. A-MAZING!
Cole123Dec 1, 2013
Great action scenes,story and mind blowing special effects for the time(They still look good today).Without a doubt this is not just the best star wars movie but also the best sci-fi film ever made.
TerenceYiboFeb 3, 2014
虽然没有炫目的特效,但本片仍是所有科幻电影中的佼佼者,电影故事精彩,配乐激赞,拥有丰富的人物角色,外星人的设计都很有趣,现在看1977年的特效还是很为当时的电影人感到佩服。
BatFat09Feb 21, 2014
Star Wars in a whole is awesome. I cannot believe that it doesn't have an 100 rating. This classic movie is among the most influential movies of all time, I believe its popularity will stay huge just like wizard of oz.
MovieGuysApr 22, 2014
While I'm not a Star Wars fan like many people out there, that doesn't mean I can't like the movies. I would not say this is my all-time favorite movie, but Lucas definitely succeeds here. The intricate world he has created is tough to beat.While I'm not a Star Wars fan like many people out there, that doesn't mean I can't like the movies. I would not say this is my all-time favorite movie, but Lucas definitely succeeds here. The intricate world he has created is tough to beat. The fact that there are still stories left untold is amazing to me. Expand
JoshLuck1995Aug 6, 2014
Watching it now you cannot help but notice some of the funny special effects but thats pretty irrelevant, for its time it is a beautiful film and of course its the film that started it all, fantastic film especially for its time and a must watch.
beingryanjudeAug 24, 2014
This is where all of the magic begins. George Lucas' great cinematic adventure takes off just as it should. It's one for history. More than revolutionary for science-fiction in 1977.
DenisManuSep 3, 2014
Star Wars is a fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Action Adventure movie that takes place:"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." and tells the story of a young boy who wants to become something more than what he was raised for.But withoutStar Wars is a fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Action Adventure movie that takes place:"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." and tells the story of a young boy who wants to become something more than what he was raised for.But without any preparations he enters in this dangerous adventure, finding dark secrets of his past, in order for him to become a hero that will save the universe.The movie is filled with fantastic quotable lines of dialogue and a classic adventure of good vs evil. Expand
MichaelBagamerySep 5, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, this is a good movie, but not QUITE the classic I'd always been conditioned to expect. (That honour I reserve for 'The Empire Strikes Back'.) While the action is pretty thrilling, it also takes a while to get off the ground (no pun intended), which may have something to do with how heavy it is on the exposition, especially with the opening crawl. (Even if the movie was being funded by a then-dying studio, that's no excuse to disregard that old rule 'show, don't tell'.)

Having said that, I can see why this flick is so beloved. There's going into space, two protagonists who are more like us than we want to admit, and of course, what nearly everyone wants to do: saving the world. It looks really good, especially for 1977, though seeing as I had to watch the remastered version, the CGI sticks out pretty clearly.

It's worth your time to watch it, just a bit less so than its first sequel and later works like 'The Matrix' and 'Serenity'.