7.7

1. RClemo
    Oct 23, 2005
    Kind of like Laputa: Castle in the Sky.
  2. Eoin
    Oct 23, 2006
    Not too bad. Great animation, not so great story.
  3. ChrisB.
    Mar 20, 2005
    I wanted so much to give this a higher rating, but even with my normal anime-appreciative sensibility, I caught myself napping through much of the action. And worse, much of the movie I was hoping to see occured only in montage during the end credits.
  4. Torin
    Mar 20, 2005
    As a longtime fan of Otomo's work, I must say that Steamboy is a lousy film to heap on the same public that adored Akira. The movie stands shakily on a nonexistent plot, endless tirades against capitalism, and fundamental misunderstandings of both Steam and Science. As a reminder
  5. CodyK.
    Sep 11, 2005
    The movie is
  6. DanB
    Mar 24, 2005
    It didn't suck.
    Jul 26, 2005
    It lacks the focus Akira, meaning it's hard to tell what the main point of the plot it, cause he just seems to switch sides all the time. However, there's plenty of eye candy and a good score. The themes of science's use are vague, but maybe katsuhiro otomo wanted a more open ended movie.
  8. RayS.
    Mar 11, 2006
    Simply amazing in everything. The animation, score, the characters, and the story. This is the best film I saw in 2005 and in my opinion was better than Crash and King Kong. It's even better than Akira. The non - stop rush of action scenes and machinery absorbs you into the world of Steamboy.
  9. GerrickC.
    Jun 16, 2007
    Easily one of the best anime movies ever. If you liked Akira you will like this movie.
  10. Aug 27, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. teamboy is clearly a prequel to Laputa: Castle in the Sky. In Laputa, we see a flashback to ancient times when the flying castles dominated the skies. Steamboy tells the story of how the first flying castle was built, perhaps thousands of years before the events in Laputa take place. The level of technology in the world of Laputa has simply reverted back to that of Steamboy's world. Expand
  11. May 24, 2014
    Basically Steamboy is a film FULL of stupid plot points, annoying characters but bumped up due to the fact that the film Looks and feels visually spectacular also the Dub is pretty great.

6/10, better then average
  12. Oct 8, 2013
    Katsuhiro Otomo brings us a strange film. At beginning of alternate century, Ray Steam has main role in a film doesn't logical plot. It's true that "Steamboy" is science-fiction film but this is no excuse. "Akira" was powerful, philosophical and innovative. "Steamboy" begins cool, it promises an epic adventure but in the middle it jams. It rambles in story and the viewer no longerKatsuhiro Otomo brings us a strange film. At beginning of alternate century, Ray Steam has main role in a film doesn't logical plot. It's true that "Steamboy" is science-fiction film but this is no excuse. "Akira" was powerful, philosophical and innovative. "Steamboy" begins cool, it promises an epic adventure but in the middle it jams. It rambles in story and the viewer no longer understands. "Steamboy" is movie interrumpted. Although, Otomo keeps on tension to end. Expand
  13. Jan 13, 2014
    this film it's amazing!!artstyle,animation and action!!it's like candyland for the eyes!!!i really like Ray and his grandpa and even if the main point of the movie switch sides repeatedly,i still enjoy it.

1. Though Katsuhiro Otomo's animated Victorian-era adventure Steamboy stars British characters, it's a Japanese film through and through.
  2. Reviewed by: Greg Bellavia
    Perhaps the key to understanding where Steamboy goes wrong is in understanding why Otomo's previous animated feature "Akira" was such a success.
  3. Reviewed by: Leslie Felperin
    Dry storytelling and boy's-toys mechanics will stop this from being the next "Spirited Away"-style crossover hit.