Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: April 28, 2006
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 43 Ratings
WATCH NOW
GymnastOlympicOct 20, 2006
I would give this movie a -1...what a terrible plot! I would give a 10 to the Missy Peregrin..she is beautiful and any actress who could even memorize the terrible lines has to be a good actress ...but the movie itself was a waste of time! TERRIBLE!
EricH.May 12, 2006
Although formulaic, Stick It was a very fun movie to watch. The characters are endearing and there are the script is written with minimal pretense and is actually quite funny.
MartinN.Apr 24, 2006
Amazing! The most fun at the cineplex thie year.
KevinC.Apr 25, 2006
Loved Stick it! Missy is fantastic. There were so many messages about leadership and parenting in it .
WayzC.Apr 28, 2006
Who sends a girl on a dirt bike flying through a plate glass window? Pure awesomeness.
MarkB.Jun 20, 2006
The title of this adolescent-in-more-ways-than-one girls' gymnastics movie is, of course, a double meaning. In addition to its obvious use as a sophomoric insult, it's a gymnastics term meaning to complete a difficult routine by The title of this adolescent-in-more-ways-than-one girls' gymnastics movie is, of course, a double meaning. In addition to its obvious use as a sophomoric insult, it's a gymnastics term meaning to complete a difficult routine by landing and staying on your feet as opposed to your knees, hands or butt. Sadly ironic, then, that Jessica Bendiger's movie about the subject spends so much time falling on its face! The plot (stop me if you've heard this several hundred times before) deals with a perpetual screw-up who gets another chance, learning from her new teammates and coach the value of Team Spirit. Well, the movie certainly smells like team spirit, and Bendiger knows her territory (note how parents here refer to a certain end-of-school-year event as THE prom, while the kids drop the article) but all of her characters are astonishingly cruel and unlikable, her writing unforgivably sloppy (she has a character speak fluent malapropism about half of the picture's length, then abruptly drops the gag) and she recycles that regrettable but audience-massaging teen-movie tactic that made John Hughes a very wealthy man in the 1980s: When In Doubt, Blame The Parents For Everything. Surprisingly, Bendiger wrote the definitive movie in this genre six years ago: the surprisingly terrific little cheerleader movie Bring It On, which among its many other excellences featured a near-brilliant opening-credits sequence that brought all the standard stereotypes about cheerleaders out into the open, allowing the rest of the movie the freedom to dispel them by showing just what hard work cheerleading really is. And it finished with a genuinely exciting, thrilling cheer competition, which you'd think Stick It would at least have the good sense to duplicate. But no...at the precise moment you WANT this movie to be predictable, and allow us to enjoy some competitive gymnastic footage, Bendiger suddenly up and decides to go all polemical, and turn the film into an expose of unfair judging practices...which may indeed be justified, but the protests that ensue rob us of even the incidental climactic pleasures of the tritest of sports dramas. (Perhaps the movie's countercultural twist is what attracted Jeff Bridges, whose skill at script selection is normally impeccable, to this. I certainly can't think of any OTHER reason!) Other than noting how much the promising lead actress, Missy Peregrym, looks like Hilary Swank (and how much Gia Carides, playing her mother, resembles an older Courteney Cox), there really isn't much to enjoy here on any level: Bendiger in her directorial debut tries to compensate for the many deficiencies in her script by employing lots of speeded-up motion and other annoying MTV techniques (to say nothing of a headache-inducing soundtrack), but, as her movie's announcers are fond of saying during The Big Meet: "Consistency is more important than flash." At least Bendiger displays enough insight here to be her own best critic! Expand
MariahL.Jun 2, 2006
I really liked this movie because it was funny and interesting. I love how all the girls rebel against the judges and judging rules.
JessicaG.Jul 22, 2006
stick it is the funnyest movie i have ever seen but on ur web i fink u should put the movie on.
JayZSep 16, 2006
for what it's worth, it's an entertaining teen movie. didn't expect much, and so was pleasantly surprised. 10 to even out the haters. suckas!
JulieW.Apr 28, 2006
Terrible script, unlikeable cast, totally formulaic. Seriously. Someone else must have rewritten "Bring it On" without screen credit, because Jessica Bendinger could not have written that great script AND this horrible one. This Terrible script, unlikeable cast, totally formulaic. Seriously. Someone else must have rewritten "Bring it On" without screen credit, because Jessica Bendinger could not have written that great script AND this horrible one. This should've gone straight to video... Expand
KimR.May 2, 2006
This movie was AMAZING. I think it deserves WAY higher than a 6 out of 10! In a way its soo different from a gymnasts point of view...It was fantastic. I loooooved it.
TomB.May 6, 2006
This movie is nothing like "Bring It On". It is not funny and the characters are annoying. I felt like a victim of fraud because it is marketed as a comedy like "Bring It On" but has less than 10 laughs in the entire film. What a rip off.
SarahP.Jul 29, 2006
I really injoyed watching this movie and I would love to see it again.
StephanieS.Jun 10, 2007
I love this movie. It shows the attitude that most hurt teenagers portray. And as a member of the public that watches gymnastics I completely agree with what they did in it. I was funny and deep which most movies can't get across I love this movie. It shows the attitude that most hurt teenagers portray. And as a member of the public that watches gymnastics I completely agree with what they did in it. I was funny and deep which most movies can't get across without seeming cheesy. I believe it was one of the greatest sports movies ever. Expand
MollyMOct 16, 2006
The other night, my friends and I got this movie from the Redbox. We weren't expecting much, but hoped it would at least be entertaining. We were sadly wrong. I've seen a lot of crap out there, but this was one of the worst movies The other night, my friends and I got this movie from the Redbox. We weren't expecting much, but hoped it would at least be entertaining. We were sadly wrong. I've seen a lot of crap out there, but this was one of the worst movies I have seen in years. It was painfully and pathetically bad. Stupid plot, bad writing, terrible acting, ridiculous cinematography, and poor directing. Everything was done all wrong, and felt awkward and off kilter. They tried to make it campy and funny and quirky, but it just didn't work. The main character is a jerk that you never learn to like, and is so obnoxious that you kind of hope the DVD player will break so that you don't have to deal with her loser personality anymore. The story is badly told, and really, we only finished it because we couldn't imagine that a movie could get any worse, but it just kept getting more and more ridiculous. No, it isn't really a silly teen movie about a juvenile delinquent/gymnastics star, it is really a "scathing attack" on the gymnastics judging system. I felt like I was watching a show written by a petty, small-minded, immature seventh grader who was trying to get revenge on a friend who had betrayed her by writing a mean story about the friend and then reading it out loud in class. This movie sucked, bad. I am almost traumatized I thought it was that horrible to sit through. And when I saw that the New York Times reviewer gave it a 90, I could not believe that we saw the same movie. Were you drunk or on drugs when you reviewed this movie? I dare you to watch it a few more times and then tell me if you give it the same score. I don't think I will ever take what that critic says seriously ever again. Take my advice, don't waste even one minute on this piece of crap that they call Stick It. Expand
MaseApr 29, 2006
Less a sassy "bring it on" more a sloppy patchwork of gymnastics politics. Unforntunatley "stick it" takes the safe route and doesnt say anything cinematically pleasing about gymnastics. There are many darker issues and stories to be told Less a sassy "bring it on" more a sloppy patchwork of gymnastics politics. Unforntunatley "stick it" takes the safe route and doesnt say anything cinematically pleasing about gymnastics. There are many darker issues and stories to be told about the sport. But this is a cheesy tween movie, and those who like that kind of stuff might enjoy. Having some knowlege of the sport might help or "frusterate" as well. Expand
hoops2448Feb 14, 2012
A light hearted female orientated gymnastics film. Sounds odd? Thatâ
ekolite82Jul 14, 2016
Ironic a movie heavily based on psyching out gymnastics critic scores gets low movie critic scores. I found the movie very fun to watch without it taking itself way too seriously without point. A generally good and underrated film with someIronic a movie heavily based on psyching out gymnastics critic scores gets low movie critic scores. I found the movie very fun to watch without it taking itself way too seriously without point. A generally good and underrated film with some beautiful gymnastics footage. 9/10 Expand
DesertRoseApr 12, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Obviously, this movie gets my 5 Rose rating, cuz it's just that awesome!

~Plot: Jaded young chick, pissed at life and parental mistakes (who isn't?), has a run-in with the law (again) and is forced, by her father and a very wise old judge, to face her past. How can this NOT be interesting?! Add in fantastic gymnastics, bmx stunts, some snarky humor, laugh-out-loud (what, she spelled it out? Laaaame. Doesn't she know she can use the ridiculously overused "lol" catch-all thingy??) humor, and Jeff Bridges on a trampoline. Ooops! Gave that away. Shoot! Now you really wanna see it, donchya? *grins* I know, it's epic.

~Character/Actors: Aaaaawe-some!! I don't think they could have done any better with casting. Missy is, just, superbly fantastic. She nailed Haley's character, and gave an awesome performance.

Jeff Bridges is, well, a legend, and his films are generally always entertaining. His portrayal of Burt Vickerman was awesome, and really entertaining. He was also really believable, and I found myself wondering once "Did he used to be into gymnastics, because he seems like a natural with it all!"

Nikki SooHoo (who plays Wei Wei) is just phenomenal! She's hilarious, and I LOOOOOVE her dancing! She's an inspiration in herself, and her character could have it's own film.

Joanne Charis (played by Vanessa Lengies) is an awesome character! I love the changes she goes through, and how much she grows up throughout the film. All the girls do, really, but she grows more than most. Overcoming petty jealousy, and getting over being an immature brat is always something to applaud ;)

~Ending: *cries* It. Was. Awesome!! Such a great ending- I always get chills, butterflies, and tear up. I love when they all pull out their bra straps, and support their fellow gymnast. (What, did she say bra straps? WTF?!) YES! It's epic, and you must watch the film to find out what I'm talking about. It's awesome, trust me :)

Ok, do you need more reasons to watch this movie? You shouldn't but if you need even more convincing, here's something...

For all you Twilight lovers out there!! Did you miss it? Up in the film info ^^ there's an actor there you may want to see. Yes peeps, that's Kellan Lutz, the actor made famous by his muscles and "monkey-man" moves in the Twilight franchise, playing Emmett Cullen.

Well, in this film, you see him several years younger than the first Twilight film (2008), and he's just adorkable!!! He skateboards, does some awesome stuff on a bmx bike, and is hilarious around the gymnast chicks. He's a total bad-ass, and I adore his character. He rocks, his character rocks, just go watch it now.
VengefulJanDec 27, 2015
I saw this while drunk and loved every second of it, otherwise, I probably would have had some grips with it that would have bumped it down to a 6. All in all, its a fun romp with friends when you're all bored. I came for Jeff Bridges' charm,I saw this while drunk and loved every second of it, otherwise, I probably would have had some grips with it that would have bumped it down to a 6. All in all, its a fun romp with friends when you're all bored. I came for Jeff Bridges' charm, but I stayed for Vanessa Lengies "fantastic" dialogue, and now she's my waifu. I still can't believe this came out in 2006, it feels like a pure 90's flick. Cheers! Expand