Stop-Loss

6.6

1. Jack
    Mar 24, 2008
    A simple minded embarrassment. I appreciate the notion of the film but the screenplay is just terrible - just a check list of war movie cliches. Very disappointing.
  2. Robs
    Apr 5, 2008
    yet another anti-american movie that will make no money and isn't even entertaining.
  3. KenD.
    Mar 31, 2008
    Should get 7 Razzie Nominations minimum! I'm sure the Hollywood blow hards all love this anti-war slam! Any thing that is anti-American is how they express their hatred for the USA. If they had their will we would have Castro as the father of this country, and Chávez as president. Wake up Hollywood. No one wants to see your crap!!!!!
  4. ChrisW.
    Apr 1, 2008
    Stop Loss is a mess of a human drama, devoid of any sembelance of realistic interaction. The basic premise is good. Unfortunately Stop Loss needs more than just a bit of tweaking to pass for anything close to good. It needs to re-think itself entirely. The main problem that I found with the movie was that it seemed more concerned with informing the public about stop loss than telling a Stop Loss is a mess of a human drama, devoid of any sembelance of realistic interaction. The basic premise is good. Unfortunately Stop Loss needs more than just a bit of tweaking to pass for anything close to good. It needs to re-think itself entirely. The main problem that I found with the movie was that it seemed more concerned with informing the public about stop loss than telling a story. Much, if not most of the script was unbelievable, and the execution worse. Furthermore the conclusion was... well nonexistant really, leaving the audience unsettled, though not in the way the director undoubtedly intended. The three points I gave were simply for the attempt at a movie on so relevant a topic. Expand
  5. BobW
    Apr 22, 2008
    Not bad acting just nothing to say except the usual screed about the war nobody likes. Not entertaining or informative. So I gave it a zero which is what I got for my money.
  6. JamesP.
    Mar 27, 2008
    I thought his was another small minded approach taken to our soldiers to represent them as victims, fools, and crazies. This film was not good, it just followed the same ground as the Valley of Elah, rendition, etc.
  7. JasonS.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Insulting to the military and military families.
  8. BetsyM
    Mar 31, 2008
    Terrible acting, terrible directing, phony story. Stop loss does happen but the Vietnam era underground railroad to Canada was ridiculous. Best example I can think of for the silly directing was the zoom in on the tires squealing in the gravel. Twelve year olds might like that. As for the acting, not all Texans have stupid accents and wear cowboy boots and tight t-shirts while drinking Terrible acting, terrible directing, phony story. Stop loss does happen but the Vietnam era underground railroad to Canada was ridiculous. Best example I can think of for the silly directing was the zoom in on the tires squealing in the gravel. Twelve year olds might like that. As for the acting, not all Texans have stupid accents and wear cowboy boots and tight t-shirts while drinking beer and slow dancing. Ryan Phillipe is a joke. Expand

Even when the script slips into sentiment, Peirce sticks with her troubled, questing soldiers, and through this raw and riveting movie, they stick with us.
  2. A young cast and hotheaded melodramatic streak make it broadly accessible, perhaps enough so to help the film scrape past boxoffice challenges faced by other Iraq-centered features.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    A wildly uneven drama, by turns sincere and synthetic.