7.6

1. Jul 7, 2014
    If you love The Fault in Our Stars, you will love this. Ignore the movie title because it didn’t do justice how great the movie is. This movie is about novel writers. Since this is an original work, I find this very ironic that this is a movie about novel writers. But it doesn’t matter, because I love this movie. Josh Boone, who also directed The Fault in Our Stars, did a good job directing this movie and i loved how it was filmed.

I love the cast performances in this movie. I never thought I would recognize most of these famous actors to participate in this indie movie. They played their characters so well that I forgot it’s just a bunch of actors just playing their roles.

The character development was well done and it affected the overall plot of the movie. This made me care about the characters so much and it gave me the feels as a result.

The balance of the narration of the movie is fair enough. This movie isn’t quite teenager-y while also this movie isn’t quite adult-ish. This is a movie for all audiences (except kids, of course).

The romance part was done very well without being too cliched. The high school romance part wasn’t even cliched at all, maybe because it didn’t focus on that really much. Like I said, this movie isn’t quite teenager-y.

This movie actually reminded me of Love, Actually, with the family trees and all that. That’s what I thought it would be. But using three of its family members for the romance part is clever enough.

The production in this movie is simple, without making it too complicated, which gives more praise to the directing.

This is one of the few movies I cannot see flaws in. This is an excellent movie. Go check it out!
  2. May 3, 2014
    This movie was known as 'Writers' then changed to 'Stuck in Love'. It was a good move, the present title was way better than the initial one and stands for it. Well, I am seeing lots of debutante filmmakers in recent time and one of those is the director of this movie. It might be his first though grabbed the best cast to play in with a fine story. This movie is not yet finished already his next projects are making some noise. Okay, let us talk about this movie's goods and bads.

This movie illustrates mainly a family and their troubles with each others and others. We can call it the three layers of the story of a family. (1) Two middle aged parents and their complicated marital issue. (2) Their daughter who is suffering from not mingling with others and (3) her younger brother who just going through the difficulties in his first ever love affair. Together all these stories with a few characters from the outside upheld to the movie's success in a right standards.

Some of the stuff in the story kept secret and used as a twist for the last segment. Was not a powerful, though worked well with clean blend. I think the engaging multiple story rotated screen presentation in a good pace throughout worked well. There are many things that we can learn from the mistakes of this family, though it was not a proverb movie. No depth in character developments, but flat and predictable, though there was something in it that grabs our complete attention.
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    It is a simple film with its failures and its successes, despite the cast being very enjoyable, he has nothing that we can take with us, the movie is just one more.
  4. Sep 20, 2013
    Ok, Stuck in Love can not be one of the best movies of this year, maybe has some mistakes, but the rest of the movies is really great, the development of the story is fantastic, and interesting, the cast does an excellent job, the screenplay has much cool moments. Stuck in Love is one of the most interesting movies of this year.
  5. Sep 22, 2013
    The characters in this movie are quite endearing, although they are never quite fully developed and are painted in unmistakable broad strokes. I liked this movie, a lot, actually. Which just reminds me how sentimental I am and how I like sentimental and almost quaint depictions of love and romance.

The individual family members are more than two-dimensional characters but not by much.
    We can almost believe they are a family when they are on-screen together. But they are not so well-defined to be able to escape the cookie-cutter design that they came from.

When we see the first talking scene of Logan Lerman's character, it's difficult to shake a feeling of deja vu. It's similar to his character in Perks of Being a Wallflower. But his dorky character works for him. Of course, every good guy has some sort of baggage, the cookie cutter dictates it. **spoiler alert** He has a sick mother. Part of the design to make him more endearing and desirable. A dork with a heart of gold. A fatal and fool-proof combination. **end spoiler**

For me, the aim of this movie was to show three threads of people experience love/romance/relationship, all three being interchangeable for this discussion. The son, Rusty, experiences first love and the inevitable tumultuous end; Samantha, the sister, experiences a connection with Lou, and finds her jaded view on love replaced by a trusting and romantic love; and the father, going through a rut in his life, putting love aside for a casual friendship with benefits with the married neighbor. For the most part, it worked for me; this isn't a philosophical and introspective movie after all.

I was thankful for the absence of the catty mean girls in high school plot line. But that isn't to say there were no plot lines that were abandoned or resolved with satisfaction. From the start we knew there was going to be a happy ending, but maybe it was too happy. Despite all it's flaws I would like to watch this in the future when I'm feeling down.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Holden
    Jul 4, 2013
    Although Stuck in Love is an indie film, it hews slavishly to Hollywood formulas.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Neumaier
    Jul 4, 2013
    All those cliched literary trappings come together in Stuck in Love, but the final product feels more like a footnote than a finished work.
  3. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Jul 4, 2013
    This romantic dramedy tries to cram enough plot twists for a season’s worth of TV episodes into an hour and a half, but is still worthwhile for its fine performances, including the best work that Greg Kinnear and Jennifer Connelly have done in quite a while.