Superbad

8.0

1. Apr 18, 2016
    I don't see why people think this is a bad movie. its a awesome kickass movie. although the ending sucked, the movie as a whole rocked and made me and my friends laugh and i think that's what counts.
  2. Apr 17, 2016
    Pretty funny movie, premise is hilarious a few 18-19 year old's trying to acquire beer for a party in hopes of getting in a few females pants before heading off to college.
  3. Dec 3, 2015
    While crude comedy, uncensored but hilarious three words that describe Superbad , a great masterpiece of Judd Apatow , making it more fun starts hurting eroticism and vulgarity shown in this film .
  4. Jul 30, 2015
    The Mclovin story is hands down the best part of this movie and should've been the only focus of this movie. Every other character's jokes fall flat most of the time apart from a few really good chuckles. Not a bad comedy, but I would rather watch The Interview.
  5. May 8, 2015
    What I did not like is the fact that the guys were only thinking about having sex and it was pretty boring at the end.But the movie is funny and thanks to Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill's performances the movie is actually pretty good.
  6. Mar 26, 2015
    9.5/10................................................................................................................................................
  7. Feb 12, 2015
    "Superbad," a raucous and raunchy comedy from producer Judd Apatow and
    director Greg Mottola i must say it's another ultra-raunchy and
    commercial sex comedy from the Judd Apatow laugh factory. The storyline is elemental and easy to catch. Two nerdy best friends trying to get laid on a party night before going their separate ways to college.The one is Seth played by Jonah Hill and Evan
    "Superbad," a raucous and raunchy comedy from producer Judd Apatow and
    director Greg Mottola i must say it's another ultra-raunchy and
    commercial sex comedy from the Judd Apatow laugh factory. The storyline
    is elemental and easy to catch. Two nerdy best friends trying to get
    laid on a party night before going their separate ways to college.The
    one is Seth played by Jonah Hill and Evan played by Michael Cera.Jonah
    Hill character is a little bit vulgar and abusive but kind to just
    enough to make it realistic and he play that very well . The thing that
    bugs me is that "Superbad" is simply too long for the sort of picture
    it is pic has some noticeable downtime, and it's all in the middle,
    with too many goofy moments involving the cops and assorted fringe
    characters that come and go. You really want the boys to get to the
    party already and see what they get cooking with the girls.You cant
    expect more from teenage comedy but you get a lot from that movie it's
    fresh it will make you laugh but don't forget that's TEENAGE COMEDY not
    more not less .
  8. Aug 3, 2014
    Definitely on the fence on this one. All those vulgar jokes and innuendos shoved in your face can really wear a guy down. But under it all, there's actually a strong beating heart and a touching tale of two friends who must learn to let go of each other. You just have to have REALLY thick skin. Otherwise, it'll be one long squirm-fest.
  9. Dec 12, 2013
    This hectic journey of two high-schoolers on a mission to get laid is fueled by hilarious one-liners, a nerdy friend and honest depiction of teenage life.
  10. Nov 13, 2013
    Superbad is really in ever sense of morality, Super-Bad.
    A simple story of a high-school trio hoping to lose their virginity in a drunken party that they are invited to, without much surprise, it goes horribly wrong. The amount of raunchy material is vomit worthy yet the laughter is excessive. Superbad succeeds at being just that.
  11. Oct 25, 2013
    Really funny movie. This one provided constant laughs from start to end and actually told an interesting story along the way. Good acting, etc. Certainly lived up the hype for me.
  12. Aug 13, 2013
    A very clever comedy which never stops being funny. The characters are the funniest thing in the whole film, Christopher Mintz Plasse plays the now legendary McLovin (who's real name is Fogell), Michael Cera is the nice guy Evan and Jonah Hill is the unlikeable douche. Every scene is hysterical and the music gets you singing along. Superbad is one of my favorite comedies ever!
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    Good but not great. Extremely vulgar but in a comical way. Shows your average coming of age story: let's get drunk,laid and mess our lives up. Oh and there's juvenile cops too
  14. Jun 26, 2013
    Es una pelicula muy buena,comica y para reirse a carcajadas,Buen guion,buenos actores y historia,muy buena pelicula y argumento,la recomiendo para verla con tus amigos.
  15. May 1, 2013
    A film that delivers in every way it should, while still being hilarious and side-splitting from start to finish. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera lead at cast that at this point were relatively unknown, but have now escalated to brighter pastures. It's a coming of age film minus the subtlety, but very much plus the swearing and penis jokes a plenty.
    Seth (Hill) and Evan (Cera) are hapless
    Seth (Hill) and Evan (Cera) are hapless students not far off graduation, and are on a mission to not only lose their virginity, but also to leave high school on a high. But of course standing in their way is their 'acquaintance' Fogell (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) who is equally as deluded as his counterparts. He devises a plan to acquire a fake ID to purchase alcohol for a big party later that night, hosted by Jules (Emma Stone).
    But of course everything goes downhill from there, but as predictable as the plot was, it was surprising at how hilarious it turned out being.
    Fogell goes a bit silly with his ID and calls himself 'McLovin' and the reaction of his friends is simply priceless, and when he finally plucks up the courage to get the alcohol, certain events change how he thought his night was going to be. This is a teen film with an infusion of clever writing, a comedic play on stereotypes and memorable characters with their own story and own role to play. The film is fantastically written by Evan Goldberg and the unforgettable Seth Rogan, who also stars in the film as a bumbling police officer, arguably one of the highlights of the film.
    What Superbad doesn't attempt to do is easily play to cliches of other teen dramas, the motive and outline is still there, but is played out in an entirely different fashion. Its crude but loveable because this really is how the current generation of hormonal teens get by in their day to day lives, with profanity laced tongues, but in this case to our very own enjoyment.
    Again, a strong cast which is lead truly by the comedy genius of Jonah Hill, who combines jokes about his own physical appearance to downsize those who challenge him, which is Evan. Michael Cera plays the kid who would run from his own shadow, but plays to his strength of being the awkward teen at various parts in the film.
    Superbad will leave you surprised at its ability to keep you laughing at the most bizarre of situations, with a cast who are trying so hard to grow up, but also find it difficult to break friendly routine.
  16. Apr 13, 2013
    Superbad turns out to Superhilarious. This rauchy teen comedy contains an all-star cast such as Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Chris Mintz-Plasse, Seth Rogen, Bill Hader and so many others. I honestly didn't think it was going to be funny, but it was the first comedy that really got me to end up enjoying the dirty side of life. This truly is a Judd Apatow classic. Overall, its a hilariousSuperbad turns out to Superhilarious. This rauchy teen comedy contains an all-star cast such as Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Chris Mintz-Plasse, Seth Rogen, Bill Hader and so many others. I honestly didn't think it was going to be funny, but it was the first comedy that really got me to end up enjoying the dirty side of life. This truly is a Judd Apatow classic. Overall, its a hilarious raunchy teen comedy that knows what its doing. Expand
  17. Feb 16, 2013
    It starts off funny, but it is just boring. This is an over-hyped comedy that does nothing but have stupid grotesque jokes. The acting sucked, and practically put me to sleep.
  18. Jan 30, 2013
    This is one very funny movie that any teen or young adult can totally relate to (well maybe not the cool cops part but you catch my drift). It's the memorable characters and hilarious events in the film that make this enjoyable to watch, and while it's a little silly its also well written. The young cast are fantastic, props to the leads Jonah Hill & Michael Cera, as well as newbieThis is one very funny movie that any teen or young adult can totally relate to (well maybe not the cool cops part but you catch my drift). It's the memorable characters and hilarious events in the film that make this enjoyable to watch, and while it's a little silly its also well written. The young cast are fantastic, props to the leads Jonah Hill & Michael Cera, as well as newbie 'McLovin'. Overall a top-notch comedy that is definitely bound to make you laugh. Expand
  19. Jan 6, 2013
    Wow, I really did not expect to like this movie. It looks like another bad teenager sex movie but it actually was really funny. The cops are the kids grown up showing to sides of the same story with their story actually being funny with there over the top yelling really works for this movie. VERY funny would watch again but not paying to buy it.
  20. Nov 28, 2012
    With some bitingly astute social commentary, beautifully timed comedic elements, and some really worthwhile drama sprinkled throughout, "Superbad" is an excellent piece of generation Z cinema.
  21. Nov 9, 2012
    Fun as well as funny. What a foul mouthed little delight this is.
  22. Sep 8, 2012
    Superbad is very crude, very nasty, and very funny. The movie comes across as very random and i believe that is were it thrives. The funniest movie of the year.
  23. Jul 8, 2012
    Cult classic. One of the funniest coming of age flicks I've seen. Simple plot and familair character types. But everytime I watch this I laugh just as hard as the first time. McLovin baby.
  24. Jun 15, 2012
    I have no idea where people come up with negative reviews about superbad. Is it that you're too old or that you expected a Artsy flick? It is what it is, and its amazing for that. Seth Rogen embodies the youth demographic in this hilarious film of friends, determination, and social status. I love all the curve balls that make the journey that much more exciting. Then again, I am alsoI have no idea where people come up with negative reviews about superbad. Is it that you're too old or that you expected a Artsy flick? It is what it is, and its amazing for that. Seth Rogen embodies the youth demographic in this hilarious film of friends, determination, and social status. I love all the curve balls that make the journey that much more exciting. Then again, I am also particularly biased because I seem to love every Seth Rogen film thus far. Keep up the good work Rogen! Expand
  25. May 18, 2012
    Superbad is great! This is one of my favorite movies of all time! everytime I watch it it still makes me laugh. If you din't watch it yet you owe it to your self to.
  26. Mar 22, 2012
    Though the movie was enjoyable, I found it extremely over-rated mainly because of Michael Cera. Jonah Hill and Christopher Mintz- Passe do a fine job of being horny outcasts but, I only thought Cera's character was a bit of a drag because I'm sick of cera being type-casted as the shy nerd. Bill Hader and Seth Rogan are hilarious as the cops but I found some of the other jokes to be notThough the movie was enjoyable, I found it extremely over-rated mainly because of Michael Cera. Jonah Hill and Christopher Mintz- Passe do a fine job of being horny outcasts but, I only thought Cera's character was a bit of a drag because I'm sick of cera being type-casted as the shy nerd. Bill Hader and Seth Rogan are hilarious as the cops but I found some of the other jokes to be not funny, this movie is worth at least a rental Expand
  27. Feb 22, 2012
    The first time I watched this film I laughed so hard that I cried. It is incredibly raunchy, but high school kids are incredibly raunchy. They are often times much worse than they are depicted as in this film. If you don't like raunch then I would advise against watching this film. It was just a lot of fun to watch.
  28. Dec 16, 2011
    Such a funny film. Way better than the over apprciated 'The Hangover'. It has a great cast and the story between Mclovin and the cops is so great. It's only fault is it shouldn't be watched with parents, trust me...
  29. Dec 9, 2011
    Overrated, So overrated. It was a little funny but really it was just so stupid and unbelieveable that I couldnt look past it and I generally love comedies like this.
  30. Sep 3, 2011
    There is lot's of hype around this movie, I think. Its really not that funny. Lots of penis jokes. It has its moments, but its not something I'd watch over and over again.
  31. Jul 26, 2011
    This movie reminded me of when I was young and in high school (even though only 4 years ago). The boy group with contrasting personalities existed in high school (at least in mine). Many pacts they formed (getting laid, being friends from necessity) is very common in high school. Not to mention happy endings near prom! I would have enjoyed this more if I was still in high school but I'mThis movie reminded me of when I was young and in high school (even though only 4 years ago). The boy group with contrasting personalities existed in high school (at least in mine). Many pacts they formed (getting laid, being friends from necessity) is very common in high school. Not to mention happy endings near prom! I would have enjoyed this more if I was still in high school but I'm not so it was a little less appealing than it would have been. Expand
  32. May 21, 2011
    hahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahhahah funny as hell. good acting by all the characters. funny script. funny lines. great lines.
  33. Jan 22, 2011
    One of the most overrated comedies I've ever watched. Shame that so many audiences depend on this brand of vulgar humor to deliver laughs. It's disgusting.
  34. Jan 5, 2011
    Michael Cera is hilarious in his socially ineptness, while many times Jonah Hill's salacious outbursts are unnecessary or unjustified in the movie's ethos.
  35. Aug 16, 2010
    Wildly funny, arguably the best "dirty" comedy of the 2000's, which is quite impressive considering how many are made these days ("The Hangover", "Pineapple Express", "Anchorman", etc.). The dialogue is funny almost line by line, that's how incredibly funny this movie is. The soundtrack adds a fantastic funky 70's vibe, and the film simply never gets boring or completely ridiculous.
  36. EricK.
    Sep 3, 2009
  37. BillS
    Aug 10, 2009
    The bottom line is this movie made me laugh out loud and a lot. I really enjoyed it.
  38. UNB
    Jul 31, 2009
    The best movie ever! The movie is full of laughs, teen comedy, sex and a true coming-of-age story just like American Pie.
  39. ToddB
    Jun 13, 2009
    One of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Bought the movie, and every time its on Cable I cant turn it off
  40. bobbyh.
    May 17, 2009
    great movie.
  41. NormanR
    Apr 12, 2009
    This movie is very funny at most. Although at most times scenes are going a bit too far, it's still an enjoyable movie. It's a movie worth watching
  42. RyanP
    Nov 6, 2008
    Definitely a lot of laugh out loud moments. Very amusing, very funny, money well spent.
  43. Harry
    Sep 20, 2008
    No no no, everyday last year at school all i heard was how hilarious this movie was, how great it was so i finally rented it * wish i could get my 5 bucks back *. Pointless jokes that wernt even strong enough to make me laugh and i laugh at about anything. People stop applauding this movie! The only remotely entertaining part was the cops, and that didn't last long.
  44. ClarkW
    Aug 10, 2008
    This is the funniest movie I have ever seen. Michal Cera is at his awkward best, Johnah Hill is hilarious, and Seth Rogen will have you laughing untilt the end. What makes this movie so great is that for it is exactly how high school kids act and talk. It is the most quoatable movie ever, and is pure gold.
  45. SamP.
    Aug 6, 2008
    I loved this movie. It was hilarious and also showed a contrast between the teenager's boastful talk of sex and the "real world" and their actual fears and insecurities on the matter.
  46. patrick
    Jul 26, 2008
    I have no idea how it got good ratings. To me, it seems like it couldve been made by those who created the "Scary Movie" franchise.
  47. DanA.
    Jul 13, 2008
    There's a way to pull off dirty comedy, and Superbad is exactly how.
  48. DonK.
    May 28, 2008
    They got the title right almost, it should have been Super Ultra Mega Bad! Pretty long too, alot longer than it should have been. Better off as a 10 min vid on Youtube. At least i saw a free bootleg of this cankersore, Judd Apatow does not deserve my money. I earn my money working. His job was to make me laugh and he failed to complete that objective, whcih is pathetic since I laugh like They got the title right almost, it should have been Super Ultra Mega Bad! Pretty long too, alot longer than it should have been. Better off as a 10 min vid on Youtube. At least i saw a free bootleg of this cankersore, Judd Apatow does not deserve my money. I earn my money working. His job was to make me laugh and he failed to complete that objective, whcih is pathetic since I laugh like crazy anytime I fart!!! Expand
  49. seana.
    May 28, 2008
    On most occasions I would not write a review on a movie such as this one, however this movie was different to me, but not amazing. Superbad is one of those movies that has a good amount of jokes in the dialog but isn't outrageously stupid. Although the title and trailer would suggest that the movie will be a really stupid movie that any teenager will enjoy, it is not. It actually has On most occasions I would not write a review on a movie such as this one, however this movie was different to me, but not amazing. Superbad is one of those movies that has a good amount of jokes in the dialog but isn't outrageously stupid. Although the title and trailer would suggest that the movie will be a really stupid movie that any teenager will enjoy, it is not. It actually has a good story and although the movie is filled with foule mouthed humor, the words are strung together in a way that won't offend even the most offend able person on this planet. It was a great pleasure to watch and although I rented it, this will be a movie I will purchase to see as many times as I wish. Superbad isn't really super bad... but it does strike a spot in my heart, and although it can't be compared to "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" or many others I could list, It doesn't need to compare because it isn't the same kind of movie... it's a love story. Expand
  50. GregA
    May 25, 2008
    It passed the time and provided some hilarious moments particularly in the first 30 minutes, but it dragged on too long, the cop scenes were not really that funny in the end. Compared to "Road Trip" this is comes a poor second.
  51. MarkK.
    May 4, 2008
    I have no idea what anyone is talking about. This movie is LOUSY. No, it's not because it's foul-mouthed or loaded with dick jokes---(I couldn't care less about any of that, I'll laugh at that ) it's just NOT funny! I've never met anyone who acts like any of these characters. It's just another example of the Apatow bullshit machine that wants to have an I have no idea what anyone is talking about. This movie is LOUSY. No, it's not because it's foul-mouthed or loaded with dick jokes---(I couldn't care less about any of that, I'll laugh at that ) it's just NOT funny! I've never met anyone who acts like any of these characters. It's just another example of the Apatow bullshit machine that wants to have an endless stream of unfunny cock, sperm and menstrual blood jokes --then wants us to buy into it's stupid NON-DEVELOPED "caring" about these two guys and their friendship story . It's TERRIBLE writing disguised as heart ---and it's a phony BORE. You want a good movie about real people, try "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" or "Animal House" or "Clueless." Film critics: You should actually go back and watch some real comedies before praising unfunny junk like this. Have a little knowledge about what you are talking about --or as the characters in this lame movie would say ad nauseam, "Grow a pair." Expand
  52. AlexG.
    Apr 11, 2008
    Thank god this film was of pure excellence because the name could have provided critics with an insult, "this film was super...baaad" but its an amazing film, good work Rogen and Golberg.
  53. Ja-cog-cobPdude
    Mar 27, 2008
    It was the best movie ever!!! I liked the "superbad" scenes!
  54. BrianM.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Everything about this film was amazing. don't listen to people who rate it lowly. they just think they're great because they didn't like it.
  55. PeteH.
    Mar 24, 2008
    I was suckered by the hype. Loved 40 Year Old Virgin (as did my missus); Loved Knocked Up (as did my missus). Bought this full of anticipation after all the stellar reviews, set aside Sunday night (what a loser), settled down for a gutbusting laughfest and... er... couldn't believe how badly it sucked. In fact, I was so surprised at my negative reaction that I wondered if I'd I was suckered by the hype. Loved 40 Year Old Virgin (as did my missus); Loved Knocked Up (as did my missus). Bought this full of anticipation after all the stellar reviews, set aside Sunday night (what a loser), settled down for a gutbusting laughfest and... er... couldn't believe how badly it sucked. In fact, I was so surprised at my negative reaction that I wondered if I'd been in some kind of dour mood without realising it and got a second opinion from my kid brother who loves the same nonsense (your Liebowskis, Anchormen, Taps etc) and was also massively pumped to watch the movie after the great reviews. His view: he was livid that he'd wasted two hours of his life that he'd never get back. Problems? Okay, here are a few: the main character is a c*ck. Not in a good, geeky, anti-hero kinda way. No, he's just a c*ck, in a fat, crass, thick angry whinging please-smack-me-in-the-mouth dish-it-out-but-can't-take-it-in-return kinda way. He's the thick, angry dude at a party that you just walk away from as fast as you can. And he's waaaaaaay too old for the role. His mate is as dull as a puddle so there's no comedy chemistry, just uninspired swearing met by empty puzzled/guilty looks. The whole McLovin thing was so fiercely try-hard and cynical. The cops' characters changed as the script required (one minute goofing, then psychopathic) but didn't amuse because of the drug-fuelled mood swings - it just seemed fake. The joy of the recent Apatow stuff has been that under the grotesquerie, the characters were oddly credible. This one, however, is nonsense. There's none of the Apatow goofing-around-great-fun-just-hanging-with-these-characters feel. There's none of the amiability of the benchmark for this sort of movie, American Pies 1 and 2 (and nothing to touch the brilliant set-piece gags from those movies); there's none of the inspired insanity of the better frathouse bashes like Animal House. It just doesn't deliver. And the bolt-on ending! WHY would that absolute raging hottie with a sensible head on her beautiful shoulders even look at Mr spiteful whiney aggressive oik, other than because the movie demanded that the two guys sorta "get the gal" at the end? Dude - weak. If I was meant to be rooting for him because he'd followed some long character arc... ah, no. 'Cos he didn't. He woke up hungover and feeling guilty because he'd been such a royal pain in the harris that even he'd spotted it. He inspired such antipathy in me, I would have much preferred it if the movie had ended with him falling in agonising slow motion down the long flight of stairs in that shopping mall. Would have been a two star review, but another star for the McLovin "it's in!" line, a solitary great moment that only underlined how duff the rest of this movie was. Everyone I have spoken to who has seen it agrees - rubbish film. Sorry folks, the critics all jumped a big emperor's clothes bandwagon. Save yourselves, it's too late for me. Expand
  56. JonasH.
    Mar 18, 2008
    This is the best movie I've seen for a long time. I'd say it's even better and more funny than American Pie, even though I'm a great fan of those.
  57. Nigel
    Mar 17, 2008
    best movie ever
  58. MichaelR
    Mar 13, 2008
    It had some funny moments but it was almost super bad. American Pie is by far better then this. I saw the unrated edition and I only liked one of the extras which was with two hot naked women making out.That part alone was better then the whole movie.
  59. RobinR
    Feb 22, 2008
    5 minutes of watching drawings of dicks really isn't my thing... if its yours, great! i laughed, yes. but i laugh much more in a normal school day and I'm no class clown nor do i watch comedy central at all times so... Superbad really wasn't that "super" after all.
  60. Peter
    Feb 10, 2008
    It really wasn't funny. And yes I do have a sense of humor but seriously, the cops were so fake. And the "funny" lines were either A) predictable , or B)lame Even Toy Story was more funny then this.
  61. AlmaT.
    Feb 9, 2008
    McLovin is the only redeeming thing in the movie. I guess it is a guy movie.
  62. AdamC.
    Feb 2, 2008
    I loved this movie. It was like a Friday night out with you buddies as a teenager. Sure, it was a lot more outlandish, but hey, isn't that the point?
  63. SteveM.
    Jan 23, 2008
    This movie was absolutely, gut busting hilarious. The awkward moments, although a little difficult to watch, very accurately portrayed modern teen life. However, the movie would have done well with more Fogle. He was the real hero.
  64. MichaelM.
    Jan 20, 2008
    You really have to see "American Graffiti" to completely appreciate this movie, it's very reflexive of it. This new style of language and set-ups blows most other comedies out of the water. One of the funniest movies I have ever seen that also leaves a great feeling after watching it.
  65. KenC.
    Jan 15, 2008
    Very funny - Starts off a little slow and rough (A little too much of the F word) - but had me rolling by the end. McLovin was great!!
  66. StanS.
    Jan 9, 2008
    If you don't enjoy talk of sex or porn or in general high-school-boy discussion then don't see this movie, but if you do then check it out because it is easily the funniest movie of the year.
  67. Mike
    Dec 31, 2007
    Just like the title of the movie, it is Superbad... Why all the vulgar language? I am not easily offended, but this was too much! Once again, the ideas were there, but not developed, the cops were totally fake and didn't work. Not funny.
  68. AlanA.
    Dec 30, 2007
    Superbad is Supergood Funny as hell the funniest high school movie. Or comedy for that matter. GO Apatow!
  69. RobJ.
    Dec 29, 2007
    I was very disappointed. This movie sucked. It really did. Just a bunch of cussing. It blew balls
  70. MyBackLocation
    Dec 25, 2007
    You scratch your back we'll scratch yours The funny thing about my back is that its located on my... end of story Superbad is a 10 for so many reason McLOVIN THE COPS THE BLOOD STAIN THE "drawings" end of story its a 10!
  71. AnonymousMC
    Dec 22, 2007
    This is the single worst movie I've ever seen. Like a train wreck, it was hard to decide when it was the right time to give up and turn off, but I did at about half-way. The idiots that wrote and directed this piece of garbage should be asked to never do anything again...
  72. MatthewH.
    Dec 21, 2007
    FANTASTIC FILM, had me laughing from start to finish!!!!!!
  73. SteveK
    Dec 18, 2007
    Bill Cosby once famously said that you don't have to swear to be funny. Superbad starts slowly, almost entirely to its insistence in having the most vulgar dialogue in recent movie history. It gets better (much better AND funnier) as the movie goes on, when they move on from the obvious and lowbrow humor and actually put the characters through some truly funny scenarios. The cops are Bill Cosby once famously said that you don't have to swear to be funny. Superbad starts slowly, almost entirely to its insistence in having the most vulgar dialogue in recent movie history. It gets better (much better AND funnier) as the movie goes on, when they move on from the obvious and lowbrow humor and actually put the characters through some truly funny scenarios. The cops are hilarious and the dynamic between the two friends is touching. This is a gem of a movie that is dressed up like an unfortunate piece of turd. I just wish more moviemakers would realize that they don't need the "shock" factor of predictable "teen comedy" crap. It's like hearing a dirty joke for the first time. It might make you giggle (when you're 12) because somebody said the "F" word, but after hearing so many of these, the dirty joke stops being funny and just seems dirty. Just like many people grow up from those antics, here's hoping that movie making from Apatow and others grows up as well, because they have the potential to make some truly funny stuff, without the smut. Expand
  74. LDu
    Dec 16, 2007
    This movie's frickin hilarious and a little gross: Penis drawings, a chick having period. Yeah...the losers never get the girls in real life but who gives a shit cause this film is the best high school comedy I've seen in a long time. but don't go watch it with your girlfriend (watch knocked up instead), watch with friends.
  75. ButtM.
    Dec 15, 2007
    "Not another teen movie was a lot funnier than this." are you fucking serious!? i don't even know how to begin addressing such a ridiculous statement. Superbad is one of the funniest movies i have ever seen period, but it's definitely the kind of thing where you either get it or you don't. KEY POINT= IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BELIEVABLE, at least not in terms of the "Not another teen movie was a lot funnier than this." are you fucking serious!? i don't even know how to begin addressing such a ridiculous statement. Superbad is one of the funniest movies i have ever seen period, but it's definitely the kind of thing where you either get it or you don't. KEY POINT= IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BELIEVABLE, at least not in terms of the situations the characters get in. what makes the movie work is that the dialog and characters ARE believable, in and of themselves. Boom. Expand
  76. MatthewL.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Funny, but not hilarious like many others think it is. Also, a bit overrated because Jonah Hill went a little too over-the-top in this film. Like most of Apatow's films, it begins to fall apart toward the end.
  77. BenF.
    Dec 14, 2007
    Overrated, was expecting something awesome but it seem more of a rip off of super troopers. Not another teen movie was a lot funnier then this. There was nothing smart or clever about this movie. Worse part is, guy's like them never get girls like those. If all the girls were nerdy it would be believable.
  78. JakeI.
    Dec 12, 2007
    So fucking funny, and they didn't cut corners to make it politically correct or mask what high school really is, and it is, believe me, I'm a junior, i know how it goes down and that was the fucking funnies representation of it i have ever seen. Comedy at its finest 10/10.
  79. MikeG
    Dec 11, 2007
    Very funny movie. However, after watching it a second time, it didn't seem all the funny to me. Sure there are some really funny moments, but it does seem a bit cliche at times. I would say out of the three films that Apatow has done, this is the least funny of them. Knocked up was probably the funniest, followed closely by The 40 Year Old Virgin.
  80. Alex
    Dec 10, 2007
    A brilliant comedy. It's almost as funny reading some of these reviews. Mark G!!! I think you missed the humor. Macho cops!? Um yeah, thats sort of the joke. And the cheesy sentiment! I think you missed something... I guess this movie really demands a certain sense of humor. Some people just don't have it. Overall a great film for people who are not easily offended.
  81. TeeM
    Dec 10, 2007
    After all the hype I really wanted to like this, but it was just okay. Amusing but not funny. While I liked the awkward interplay between the teenage characters, the constant swearing just seemed gratuitous and unrealistic, making the characters come across as false in a way that's especially damning in a movie that's supposed to feel oh-so authentic. Uh...and the ending, with After all the hype I really wanted to like this, but it was just okay. Amusing but not funny. While I liked the awkward interplay between the teenage characters, the constant swearing just seemed gratuitous and unrealistic, making the characters come across as false in a way that's especially damning in a movie that's supposed to feel oh-so authentic. Uh...and the ending, with the girls? Sorry fat kid. Not gonna happen. Talk about unrealistic. Expand
  82. MarkG
    Dec 6, 2007
    painful and embarrassing to watch. One reviewer wrote that the films 'charms' are in the way the characters think with their dicks. What's remotely charming about this!? A load of macho American bullshit (witness the antics of the two cops) and gross moments smothered with an obligatory layer of cheesy sentiment that oozes out at the end of the film ('I love you painful and embarrassing to watch. One reviewer wrote that the films 'charms' are in the way the characters think with their dicks. What's remotely charming about this!? A load of macho American bullshit (witness the antics of the two cops) and gross moments smothered with an obligatory layer of cheesy sentiment that oozes out at the end of the film ('I love you maaaan'). How can learned critics rate this trash? Expand
  83. ToryP
    Dec 4, 2007
    Great movie. Perhaps one of the best comedies that I've ever seen. It perfectly captures the awkwardness of the teen years (especially high school). I'm not sure why there are so many 0-5 scores. I guess some people just don't remember what it's like to be young. And yes the movie is crude but that by no means makes it instantly forgettable. It's sweet also. Great movie. Perhaps one of the best comedies that I've ever seen. It perfectly captures the awkwardness of the teen years (especially high school). I'm not sure why there are so many 0-5 scores. I guess some people just don't remember what it's like to be young. And yes the movie is crude but that by no means makes it instantly forgettable. It's sweet also. There's real emotion between Michael Cera and Jonah Hill's character's Seth and Evan. Get ready for one of the best comedies of the decade. Expand
  84. HelloTHERE!
    Dec 4, 2007
    Had it's funny moments but by no means as great as everyone made it out to be. I really only found Micheal Cera to be the funny part of the money. He has some charm to go along with the geekyness that I'm sure some of us can relate to. Luved when he is talking to the girl in the hall and they say "bye" and start walking the same direction so he walks faster to get away from her. Had it's funny moments but by no means as great as everyone made it out to be. I really only found Micheal Cera to be the funny part of the money. He has some charm to go along with the geekyness that I'm sure some of us can relate to. Luved when he is talking to the girl in the hall and they say "bye" and start walking the same direction so he walks faster to get away from her. That's happen to me on several occasions... Expand
  85. BenB
    Dec 4, 2007
    This movie is flat-out hilarious. Extremely crude, and not for all tastes, but those who enjoyed other Judd Apatow movies like Knocked Up will be very appreciative.
  86. Standin
    Dec 2, 2007
    The best movie ever if you are male and haven't yet lost your soul
  87. MikeT.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Superbad is. I didn't laugh once in the first 30 minutes, so this isn't really a comedy at all. Whenever everyone else laughed, I just cringed and wondered why anyone would ever make a movie like this. If Pauly Shore decided to remake Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Superbad would likely be the result. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
  88. PavT
    Nov 24, 2007
    Hand Down The Best Comedy Of 2007! Get ready to laugh your way through the entire movie - its like American Pie Revisited. If you haven't seen this yet - the joke's on you!
  89. Bruce
    Nov 23, 2007
    Crude toilet humour, but very funny. I enjoyed it and laughed quite a lot!
  90. WEEKSYB
    Nov 22, 2007
    It's amazingly well done. A return of the shock-comedy that Animal House did perfectly and nothing until now has bested.
  91. SheaN.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Only recent comedy with real life situations throughout. Just like my life. thats why I find it so hilarious. Awesome cast. Love the improv.
  92. AdamH.
    Nov 10, 2007
    I thought this was a documentary of my life for parts of this movie. Oh yes I know what being a loser is like and I think Apatow does too, but he definitely isn't one anymore. This is a comic masterpiece. Such funny dialogue and overall just incredibly hilarious.... best movie of all time!!! From the first scene on I did not stop laughing! I was actually exhausted from watching a movie.
  93. RJM.
    Nov 9, 2007
    seriously, this movie is horrendously bad. the novelty of the crudeness wears off after about 10 minutes, and then you're just inundated with terrible dialogue for another hour and a half. completely worn out stuff. i wanted to like it. but it was so not good. kinda made me depressed that everybody else was cracking up all the time: made me think, oh my god, people are so terribly lame.
  94. RobertB.
    Nov 8, 2007
    I watched this movie 3 times. It was the best comedy this year. I can't wait for it to come on dvd. Everything from Mclovin to the Cops were great.
  95. JamesM.
    Oct 26, 2007
    A good teenage movie. Nothing more.
  96. EdW.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Surprisingly unfunny, too long, and borderline misogynistic. A real disappointment.
  97. SamB
    Oct 22, 2007
    Firstly, I loved this movie, mainly because I was expecting something crude (which it was) but stupid, something like the 40-year-old Virgin (which wasn't nearly as clever as it was stupid). Superbad is the opposite in this regard, as while it still contained language that was probably even worse, jokes about terribly "icky" subjects such as periods, penises and penis drawings; it Firstly, I loved this movie, mainly because I was expecting something crude (which it was) but stupid, something like the 40-year-old Virgin (which wasn't nearly as clever as it was stupid). Superbad is the opposite in this regard, as while it still contained language that was probably even worse, jokes about terribly "icky" subjects such as periods, penises and penis drawings; it was original. Many people will say it was just like Knocked up, American Pie, etc. but I think it took the teen comedy genre down a much funnier path. I mean, the 40-year-old virgin and American pie relied mainly on "cringe" comedy, putting characters in situations that are funny because they are taboo or sexual (they are teen movies after all). While Superbad does use this type of comedy (hence the 8/10 instead of full marks), the larger laughs and more funny bits of the movie were completely original. I mean, penis drawings?! Mclovin?! It even had a (sort-of) moral at the end! The writing was brilliant, and for that reason, and possibly biased by my complete lack of faith in this movie prior to seeing it, I think it deserves a well earned 8/10. Also, to all reviewers who gave this 0/10 for being childish, vulgar, etc. What were you expecting? If you can't see through that, or can't understand why your cinema is erupting in laughter, then you should have known before you saw this that you wouldn't like it, so do yourself us a favour and don't watch these types of movie. Expand
  98. bobbyh.
    Oct 11, 2007
    great movie.
  99. JewA.
    Oct 11, 2007
    When's the last time there was a flawed female character in a movie? I honestly can't remember. We'll probably have to go back to like 1995 to find one.
  100. michaelr.
    Oct 10, 2007
    It is the best teenage sex comedy since Porkys. and it is the best teenage comedy since American Graffiti.

It helps that the fun doesn't stop. It helps even more that the pitch-perfect script doesn’t step out of character for a joke.
  2. Some of the patter is funny, but the movie lacks the clever plot developments and the character nuances of a classic like "American Graffiti." And it's missing the belly laughs of earlier raunchfests "American Pie" and "There's Something About Mary."
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The bawdy jokes score big points, but it's the rueful acknowledgement of adolescent embarrassment and humiliation that most distinguishes Superbad, another ultra-raunchy and commercial sex comedy from the Judd Apatow laugh factory.