5.8

1. KyleF.
    Nov 5, 2003
    I don't know much about Sylvia Plath, but I do think that Gwynneth Paltrow did a great job of showing the various emotions and reactions to the events in her life. This movie kept my attention for the duration of the movie. The heartache of infidelity was well portrayed. The cruelty and tragedy of it all believable.
  2. NickB.
    Oct 31, 2003
    Given the budget, the inability to use any poetry within the script, and the potentially disgustingly sensational roads the film could have taken, I think that Jeffs, Craig, Brownlow, and especially Paltrow do a wonderful job. Their work is excellent, real and moving.
  3. HonestJohn
    Oct 16, 2003
    Good movie, folks.

It's a dreary movie about a dreary character, offering little insight into her poetry or the mental illness that ultimately conquered her.
  2. Despite an exceptional performance by Paltrow, whose Plath is a layer cake of infinite intelligence and bottomless need, Jeffs' film is an icy affair lacking the fever of Plath's and Hughes' poems.
    The excellent cast is headed by Gwyneth Paltrow in the mood-shifting title role and Daniel Craig as the helpless, not-so-happily philandering Hughes.