6.6

1. Jul 15, 2012
    Boring and even somewhat smug, this movie was a big disappointment. As someone who liked Sarah Polley's last film I have to wonder what went wrong here. The script was particularly lame, with awful dialogue clanging like it was written in a hurry. Michelle Williams goes a long way to redeeming the formulaic plot but this was still one of the worst indie films I've seen this year.
  2. Aug 2, 2012
    Despite creative cinematography, a promising and appealing cast, the writing in "Take This Waltz" was disappointing and the story lacked drama, pace, even basic logic.
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    Way to take a fantastic actress and put her in a cliche romance movie with no depth to it. I give this movie one point for Michelle Williams's performance, but the story was annoyingly generic. It's the kind of script you'd expect to see for an episode of Hannah Montana, without the cute, catchy songs, and the self awareness as to what its real merits, or lack thereof, are. The thing is, it's a romance story that I can only see appealing to young kids, but it's geared towards adults, and features adult content, so I really can't see it appealing to anyone. Michelle Williams gives the movie more credit than it deserves with her performance. It's still far from one of the best performances she's given, but in this movie, and with this script, it's like hearing Frank Sinatra sing a song written by Justin Bieber, if Justin Bieber tried to write adult lyrics. Expand
  4. Aug 23, 2012
    After seeing the reviews, I was very disappointed when I saw the movie. Although Michelle Williams and Susan Silverman gave outstanding performances, the male characters were unrealistic. I couldn't believe that Williams's character was interested in either of them.
  5. Dec 26, 2012
    This film is utter drivel. A waste of an hour plus of your life that you will be begging back for. The plot is so weak it is practically nonexistent. Woman unhappy and bored with marriage leaves to go crazy for a bit, then settle back into boring and unhappy. What a waste of freaking time. There is no climax, no resolution, not even a headline, and certainly not a story worth watching. The main character finally is shown smiling and happy on a fair ride that is somehow inside a disco dance building in the final sequence. So the message is save your self-induced pathetic life by visiting the fair or a good amusement park in the first place rather than shattering someone else's life? Don't even watch this on netflix or amazon instant. Save yourself the time and effort. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 16, 2012
    The film can feel a touch overscripted, but Polley and her actors effect true-to-life rhythms of speech.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Aug 12, 2012
    Sarah Polley's second film is a masterfully painted portrait of an ordinary marriage under threat, dominated by a central performance of exquisite subtlety and observation.
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Aug 5, 2012
    Some strained metaphors and character tics aside, this proves both Polley's perceptive eye and Williams' ability to explore life-scuffed emotions. Wry, risqué and real.