8.2

1. May 31, 2014
    Great music, Singing and acting! Other Disney Masterpiece by the creators! A Comedy and a musical that works very very very very very very very very very very very awesome!
  2. Apr 11, 2014
    I know I'm about 3.5 years late, but this movie is one of my FAVORITE Disney Princess movies! I'm so upset that I didn't watch it in theaters when it first came out. Everyone I know LOVES this movie. I can honestly say that I don't know a single person who dislikes this movie. Even my 46-year-old father and 16-year-old brother thoroughly enjoyed it; they quote lines from the movie all the time! I highly recommend this movie. It's absolutely phenomenal and great for all ages!! Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2014
    Tangled is unquestionably the funniest animated Disney movie in a very long time, with such deliciously quotable lines as "I'll have you know this is the strangest thing I've ever done!" (spoken while wielding a frying pan in a fight against a horse wielding a sword in its teeth). The writing is some of the most clever I've ever seen in an animated film, though at times this works against the movie: some scenes push past witty into overt self-parody, which seems to conflict with the story's emotional core.

All the same, coming at the end of a near-decade-long Disney slump, with fantastic animation, excellent voice work all around, hilarious writing, enjoyable songs, and a strong story with very likeable characters, it's definitely a return to the same sort of quality we saw in the Disney Renaissance. The biggest problem the movie has is a tendency to act too much like Dreamworks and not enough like Disney, and even that is mostly just a nagging background worry.
  4. Feb 12, 2014
    This movie is really fun. It's super original and worth watching. I'm pretty sure that I've watched it about five times or so myself. It's just that good.
  5. Jan 22, 2014
    A bit late on the review, but might as well contribute my love eventually for this movie somewhere. I absolutely love this movie, I grew up with Disney and I have to say, this movie has complete potential to be a part of the Disney classics! It came to be my favorite of them all, which is shocking to me since I was so set with sticking with the classics! While it does have that fairy tale theme, it has a huge modern touch to it. Rapunzel is no damsel in distress, and Flynn is no typical male hero of the story, no love at first site involved, and certainly has good qualities young girls of this generation can look up to. The music in this movie is just amazing to me, despite the mix reviews it's had, I still find my self humming the tunes here and there. Easily Tangled has potential to hit the Broadway's, which shocks me that it hasn't! Tangled is officially something special that will live in my life and home forever and something I hope my own children and theirs will love as well. Expand
  6. Jwv
    Jan 11, 2014
    As the film starts, so will I start by saying that I really like the frame narrative. Everybody will be able to connect with it because of its reminiscence with bed-time stories, and it neatly ties the beginning and the ending together.

Throughout the film, there's a great momentum of action, singing and character building. The film succeeds in portraying likable, believable and funny
    characters that, although they may be cliché-esque types, do convince. The dialogues too may make you suffer from a certain feeling of déjà-vu, but they are witty, and the songs are enjoyable (props to Mandy Moore), with the usual accompanying trademark funny scenes. The voice-acting is top-notch, as are the sound-effects and the soundtrack, which provides just the right tune for just the right occasion. Going on about aesthetics, the animations were colourful and enchanting with jaw-dropping detail (which makes for an awful lot of beautiful screenshots for fans).

The story is no big mystery or surprise, even for those who are not familiar with the fairytale itself. The film however, does a great job of keeping it interesting with several sub-plots and an occasional plot-twist. It is the story about the confrontation between a naive teenager and the world, and also about the adolescent's growing awareness for the other sex. Tangled is a great example of the genius, albeit quite clichéd Disney formula of success on its best. We recognize the story of a sympathetic protagonist searching for freedom, and exploring the world. He or she encounters several evil characters on the journey, but in the end wins out over them, not only because of his or her intelligence and perseverance, but also by charming others with their innocence, likability and lack of prejudice.

This mix of elements forms the basis of the trademark Disney formula, with which Disney here proves they utterly ace the art of pleasing a mass audience, all age categories included.
  7. Jan 11, 2014
    As a 19 year old man, I'm not usually the one for disney movies but this movie was fantastic and I loved it from start to finish (I know i'm late), but definitely a must watch!
  8. Dec 9, 2013
    My favorite movie of all time. Good clean humor! Really wonderful animation and dynamic and realistic characters. Mandy Moore was the perfect pick for Rapunzel. This movie will make you laugh and cry. Must buy.
  9. Aug 8, 2013
    Beautiful, fresh, this movie it's just amazing, the plot is incredible and the end is just perfect, I liked a lot the first time I saw this movie, and it's still one of my favorite animation movie
  10. Apr 16, 2013
    A fantastic return to form for Disney. Tangled has got to be one of the best modern Disney movies (not including any Pixar titles.) Great visuals, funny characters, great story, and some of the best dialogue in an animated feature in a long time (well, at least from Disney.)

Overall:
    A fantastic Disney movie that shows what Disney is all about. A true Disney Classic.
  11. Jan 23, 2013
    Tangled is a good and enjoyable film. There are lots of hectic moments and lots of old fashioned action. It makes the twist with Rapunzel at the right moment. If you are a die hard animation-comedy fan you will absolutely enjoy this.
  12. Jan 2, 2013
    Revive la emoción de los clásicos pero con un toque moderno de comedia romántica. Distrae desde el primer momento. El camaleón y el caballo son personajes muy divertidos. Tanto Rapunzel como Flynn enamoran al espectador. Buenas canciones.
  13. Dec 8, 2012
    Bravo, Walt Disney Pictures, Bravo! #5 on my Animated Films list...truly a wonderful movie. Disney's 2nd best to only Beauty and the Beast! The music is lovely and reminded me of everything I loved about Disney as a kid! It's that good people, don't miss it!
  14. Aug 11, 2012
    Fantastic film! Although being an 18 year old boy who isn't the biggest fan of disney films, I was surpirsed by how much I loved this film. This film I feel was rejected by many, like I did, when they first saw a glimpse of it. It seemed like a typical princess film in which only girls would truly love. I really do regret not seeing this on the big screen. The main reason why I love this film are the characters. They're just so believable and relate-able. Flynn isn't your typical pretty boy and Rapunzel has more attitude and character than most princesses. Also the film looks stunning, high production values and a great attention to detail make the kingdom feel real. The relationship between Rapunzel and Flynn has more chemistry than most and it actually develops. In most of these films the relationship seems shallow and unreal. But here, you can tell these two are truly in love. This makes the film more emotional and believable. I do recommend this film to anyone because I'm just a normal guy who has never been into these films. Tangled maybe my favourite disney film. Its strangely addictive. Its gonna be my new guilty pleasure. But trust me, give the film a chance and you'll love it. Yes I admit, some parts are a bit far-fetched and the film is a bit on the short side. But this doesn't really ruin the expeerince. Expand
  15. Jul 3, 2012
    I loved this movie, I always have a good feelling when disney release a new princess. I lo ve the way is focus the "Rapunzel" story, I liked this "new perspective" about the princess wants to go oue and took the iniciative, not wating for prince who rescue her. I love the concept. Excellent movie for me.
  16. Jun 24, 2012
    I'm a HUGE fan of Pixar movies, and I must say that - with the help of the Pixar guys - Disney managed to do as good, if not better (animation is just incredible !). This movie is also a great success for my daughters (2 and 9), my wife too... The blu ray is very impressive on a HD TV (if you have to chose between BD and DVD).
  17. May 25, 2012
    When I saw previews to "Tangled", I honestly didn't have any interest to see it. It's just that Disney isn't the same anymore, I missed the Cartoon Animated types of Disney I wasn't getting into the CG Disney. I do like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Up, and others from both Disney and Pixar. But it still doesn't give me that Disney feeling, I don't see the magic and imagination it use to have. "Princess and the Frog" and "Winnie the Pooh" were the last Disney Animated films I saw, and I really enjoyed them. But my parents got "Tangled" on Blu-ray, and I still disproved it so much. They were begging me so much to see it, so I finally broke down and watched it. The only thing I need to be completely honest is that I am a complete moron. This movie brought back the magic and imagination that I missed and waited for Disney to do, and I regrettably disproved it so much. I really wish I saw this in theaters, I was blown away by everything about it. I loved how it explains a lot on Rapunzel's childhood and why her hair keeps growing, it made a lot of sense. Then it gets better when the adventure begins, and finally see's her unforgettable cult to her kingdom. I felt heartbroken to see the King and Queen get emotional before they throw the lantern's for their lost daughter's birthday. Rapunzel never knew that all of that was about her, and its the main reason why she wants to go to that kingdom. I loved the characters, I really loved Flynn Rider and Maximus the horse. The animation, I honestly forgot about the CG, it was mostly 2D and it looked great. I don't know what else to say, but I really loved this movie so much. I just saw it for the 1st time just now, I'm gonna see it again many times more. But still, OH GOD I just wish I saw it in theaters. This was the Disney Animated film I've waited for, and I'm so happy to see that it still has that feeling and the heart for our dreams to come true. Expand
  18. May 5, 2012
    When I first heard of Tangled, I automatically turned my nose up due to the fact that it was a disney movie that involved Rapunzel. I was happily proven wrong when I watched it the other week. I like how disney managed to make it appealing to both boys and girls with a male and female role who both have an equal importance to the film. The film also combines great action scenes with broadway style songs and typical disney princess story telling. "Chuck" Star Zachary Levi voices the charming yet idiotic bandit Flynn Rider while pop star turned actress Mandy Moore plays the sweet rapunzel. this film is perfect for both the young, old and everywhere in between. I must watch and Ten times the quality on Blu-Ray Expand
  19. Apr 23, 2012
    Tangled gloriously showcases Disney's return to top-form. It's deeply heartfelt, smart, funny and looks simply gorgeous. The voice actors' performances are great - Mandy Moore's Rapunzel and Zachary Levi's Flynn Rider have great chemistry, Donna Murphy makes Mother Gothel delightfully amoral, and the most memorable Disney villain in years, and the rest of the cast, including Ron Perlman, Brad Garrett and Jeffrey Tambor all appearing to be having an immense amount of fun in their roles. The real scene-stealers, however, are not characters with dialogue (though their animalistic expressions are expertly provided by Frank Welker), but the royal horse Maximus and Rapunzel's pet chameleon Pascal - with the possible exception of Meeko and Flit from Pocahontas and WALL-E, they make two of the most entertaining mostly-silent animated characters in film history. The story is energetic and engaging, the characters compelling, the songs are catchy (particularly "Mother Knows Best" and "I've Got a Dream") and you'd have to have a heart of stone to hold back tears at the tender and beautiful lantern extravaganza scene. It's always pleasing when Disney get the balance of entertaining both adults and children just right, something they certainly achieve in Tangled. It's a hugely fitting 50th animated feature for Disney, and here's hoping they can maintain this standard in the future, and never return to the mediocrity that has plagued many of their films in the last decade. Expand
  20. Feb 28, 2012
    This movie is amazing. Action, comedy, romance, good characters, and who can forget, a horse eating an apple. At first, I thought this movie was going to be crap, but when I saw it, it was a beautifully made masterpiece I will never forget.
  21. Jan 30, 2012
    I loved the film; its story, animation, music, and humor were all superb. Maybe worthy of the Disney 'Renaissance era' and proves Disney still has it in them when it comes to producing an excellent all around animated film for all ages. It holds up too as it's still great after multiple viewings over the past year.

Highly recommend it.
  22. Jan 17, 2012
    Tangled is charming, hilarious, well animated and just fun. It doesn't have very memorable music but a few songs will get stuck in your head, and Mandy Moore gives a fantastic voice performance and the whole film just ends up being a whole lot more deep than most would think or even expect. I give this film 92%.
  23. Jan 9, 2012
    One of the best and hilarious movie made by Disney! I'm not really into princess stories with boring songs dumb innocence and typical handsome true love... but this movie got me tangled.
  24. Jan 7, 2012
    The biggest suprise of 2010, did not expect it to feel like a classic and/but feature some of the best animation in recent years. Funny, charming and actual good songs (unlike princess and the frog). Up there with Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon. This film was a moderate hit in the U.S. (it did amazing internationally) but I expect it to do much better in the future
  25. Dec 3, 2011
    It's perfect. Best animated non-Pixar Disney Movie. It's not a standard stupid animated movie for kids, like Bee Movie, Chicken Little, etc., and that's the thing that I like of the animated movies. Fun, comedy and plot.
  26. Sep 9, 2011
    Admittedly, I haven't seen a Disney movie for a while, so the magic and wonder hit me pretty hard. I watched this one last night before going to sleep, and I'm still thinking about it. I think it was an awesome movie, and it was very romantic. It's really hard to get a good romance in an animated film, and this was done excellently. Yes, I am female. The style was very casual, a la The Incredibles or Cars thanks to John Lasseter, so the magical bits just became that much more magical. I give this a two thumbs up, and I will probably have to watch it again and cry some more. Expand
  27. Jul 8, 2011
    I honestly didn't think this movie was gonna be worth my time. I was suppose to meet up with my aunt & her daughter to see it but they never showed. So, I went by myself and I loved it. I thought is was gonna be a typical disney animation but i like the fact that it was a little more mysterious and darker than most of the princess movies. The kids as well as the adults will enjoy this movie.
  28. Jun 29, 2011
    Yes!! Finally a Disney film that has the same magic as the real classics (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin etc) The story is easy, yet good, and the characters are lovable. The songs are very good (Alan Menken did a good job writing the songs) and they are performed well. If you want to see a real Disney Animation movie, well, see this, cause Tangled is pure magic; Disney magic :) Expand
  29. Jun 10, 2011
    Very cute movie! I loved it! It was entertaining with a bit of humor throughout the movie. I would recommend this for children and for adults (that's me!). But then I never saw a bad Disney movie!!! Disney movies rock!
  30. May 28, 2011
    Another great Disney animated film. Beautifully drawn, well performed, and serves its purpose. Because the music deserves its due, I disagree in their advertising of this movie with the hiding of the fact that its a musical.
  31. May 11, 2011
    Actually quite a great movie. Representation of the world and the characters are beautiful, plot is well made (but a little bit cliche though). Very good for family time-killing purpose if you don't like the animation. Just try it.
  32. Apr 24, 2011
    I went in thinking that this would be another kids movie that puts you to sleep. I can say I was wrong I really enjoyed it. It was well done, funny and kept me on my seat the whole time. animation is awesome the actors had me laughing the whole time. It was really nice to an "old school" movie with all the singing. I almost forgot that all movies used to be like that. I recommend this for a family movie night. Expand
  33. Apr 22, 2011
    Very beautiful. That's what I can describe about the film, the characters, the environment, the story, although it is modified from the original, but it is quite good. More over, this film is very fun, I can find a lot of laugh in it. Nevertheless, the original music of the film is just a little "over mediocre", which is not match so much with the whole fascinating film. If Walt Disney had given the better music, this film would have been one of the greatest animation that they've ever created. Never mind, 9.0 points for their effort and let's hope they can make better film in the future! Expand
  34. Apr 7, 2011
    i never thought that tangled would be like this.it was fascinating.the graphics are realy good and the music was in top class.this movie has a very good character development and the storyline is very fresh,that though we heard the old tale it still refreshing.walt disney has done their very best for this animated movie,and this isn't a kids only movie.most of the adults had a good time with this.u will never forget this movie. Expand
  35. Apr 6, 2011
    I wasn't really sure what to expect with this movie, while I was excited for it I was worried it would let me down, but it did no such thing, it's funny and charming, the only complaint I have is the songs are cheesy and I didn't really like them all that much, but there aren't that many so I can't complain all that much, a must see.
  36. Mar 13, 2011
    Before I saw Tangled, Toy Story 3 was for me the best animated film of 2010. But after I watched it, I was blown away how much this film is fantastic. Mandy Moore has a extremely beautiful voice, as well as Zachary Levi, and that can be seen from the plane. There is not need for nothing more to be said, an amazing film.
  37. Feb 24, 2011
    Went to see this my one of my cousins from Albany, New York and my siblings enjoyed it. So did I. Animation was excellent, Acting was top-notch, songs are memorable, and setting was amazing. This movie is Disney's greatest creations since The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
  38. Feb 14, 2011
    "Tangled is Disney's 50th animated picture is Sweet , Clever and Charming as it is astounding and never misses a beat from its visuals to its heart and humor. I enjoyed the film from start to finish and i'm sure this is a movie everyone will love" .. A-
  39. Feb 5, 2011
    So, the second most expensive film, and the most expensive animated film ever made (Not taking into account inflation). fact. So you think it's gonna be good right? Well then, you won't be disappointed. This fabulous film takes us back to the classic story of rapunzel, and puts in some laughs, some twists, all the things that disney seem to have lacked over the past couple of years. Songs, an evil stepmother (of sorts), and a pretty good attempt at singing by Zachary levi's role put together a wonderful film, which will have both the kids, and adults laughing. the only thing that really bugged me, was that us (the UK) only got it at the end of january, but hey, it was worth the wait. So, go get your popcorn, get your family, and go see that film! Expand
  40. Jan 23, 2011
    Even though I freaking love disney animated movies, I had low expectations for this because by looking at the trailer, I thought they'd fill the movie with lame pop culture references and jokes. Boy, was I wrong! This movie pays perfect tribute to all the great Disney movies from the 30s, 40s, 5s, and 60s by using great modern touches.
  41. Jan 21, 2011
    Tangled is something of a gem. It harkens back to the golden age of Disney animation, deftly balancing humour, drama and sentiment without feeling forced in any way. The musical scores and voice acting are amazing and entertaining and this is by far one of the uses of CGI with a world created with a rich colour palette that vibrant and warmth that looks like it was lifted from a 2D animated film and made in 3D. The plot, although there were one or two niggles that could have been left out is sublime and a wonderful take on the fairy tale and is not afraid to go to the slightly darker side of fairy tales that exists in the their other films. Although it is too early to tell we have a forerunner for Best Animated picture for next years Oscars. Put simply, Tangled is one of the best films animated films I' ve seen that was not made by Pixar. Expand
  42. Jan 14, 2011
    What to say? It's Disney... and now is back to the basics... the classics! That old one which we grown up with...! A really brave princess, that goes beyond any boundary... a ''kinda'' prince who realices what is draming all about and two little but really important comic characters: Max and Pascal we've got what's expected, and what HAS BEEN BEING EXPECTED from a long time ago... a CLASSIC... humor, love, and over all of this... a great dream to fulfill!!!! Expand
  43. Jan 9, 2011
    A friend of mine asked me, Is thiz movie worth-watching? I said, Go and find out for yourself. It is Disney anyway. Not every year, Disney introduces us to their new princess. It is going to be a magical time of your life, get ready to be part of the history. Do you remember how wonderful is Snow White, Cinderella, princess Aurora the Sleeping Beauty, Ariel the Little Mermaid, beautiful Belle and The Beast, Aladdin princess Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, up to last year Princess Tiana and her Frog? It is the time! For long-haired Rapunzel (Mandy Moore) to get out from her hidden tower, to leave vicious mother Gothel and has some adventures with her prince, errr.. I mean runaway bandit, Flynn Rider (Zachary Levi). It is also for the first time, princess Rapunzel will face the unfriendly outside world, but do not worry, she got her frying pan to protect herself and accompanies by very cool chameleon, Pascal and the white horse with dog capability, Maximus. The song When Will My Life Begin reflects that adventure spirit. The Directors are Nathan Greno and Byron Howard. Both of them had ever worked together in dog tale BOLT (2008). But I think the person that deserves the posthumous achievement to bring thiz German fairy tale comes alive is no other than Alan Menken. Menken is the regular Disney genius composer who can always provide delightful classic elements into every piece of his magical music or score. The storyline is so smooth and dynamic. Yeah it is predictable, but at least you could enjoy the joyful comedy, it is always fun to watch how Rapunzel and silly Flynn Rider tease each other. And although without dialogue, the animal characters, the chameleon Pascal and the horse Maximus are also doing an exhilarating slick slapstick performance. For visual excitement, the picture has been beautifully rendered to another level, you will be amazed by how realistic each texture and detail it has been made, the hair, the grass bit by bit. The most powerful scene is The Floating Lanterns Night Scene, when finally Rapunzel and Flynn were in the boat right outside the castle, waiting for the glow flying lanterns to be released. In that romantic moment, you could feel the pure sincerity and so much loves between them, through their innocence face expressions and breathtaking interaction with the background song: I See the Light. That scene simply gives you goosebumps and could easily bring tears in your eyes. It is very rarely, there is a movie that could touch my heart. Thiz one is definitely the one. Usually if someone asks me, Who is your favorite Disney Princess? Most of the time, I would answer, Cinderella! But after thiz movie, maybe I would give a different answer. By the way, I always love the girl with the long hair ^_^ It is certainly Disney knows best!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  44. Jan 7, 2011
    Ol' school Disney is back ! :) You get the princess, funny animals, songs, bad guys and of course the happy end. On top of that, a gorgeous presentation. Some moments are genuinely magical, if you're in the mood. I'd recommend this movie for kids, families, but also for adults, if you like that Disney magic.
  45. Jan 3, 2011
    Tangled is a fantastic movie! Disney did not market this movie right. I didn't realize it was a musical until we were watching it. I don't know why Disney didn't market it as a musical--if I had known it was a musical, I would have seen it opening weekend. It was so nice to finally see another Disney animated musical with music by Alan Menken again. I really like the music, but I wish someone with a stronger voice than Mandy Moore was playing the lead. There were a few plot holes I noticed, but it was still highly enjoyable. I would gladly see it again, while it's still in the theatre even. I will definitely buy the DVD. Expand
  46. Jan 2, 2011
    I enjoyed Tangled very much. The animation was great, and the humor is perfect for all ages. I went with my aunt (I'm 13, my aunt's 23) and we were both laughing. I would most definitely recommend this to anyone of any age.
  47. Dec 30, 2010
    This one really surprised me. Was expecting a stupid Disney movie by the trailers. But it was extremely well done. Just as enjoyable for the adults as for the kids, without relying on any of the usual crass humor I've come to expect. Nothing in it that I felt my kids shouldn't see. Good message. Strong roles. A great story good complexity in the mother/ daughter role for adults and discerning kids to appreciate. Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Expand
  48. Dec 27, 2010
    Great movie. It takes classic Disney animation and storyline (look and feel), and gives it a modern sprucing up and some twists. Tangled has several layers of humor (child, teen, adult), some depth, and a lot of action. It's something for everyone, and one of my favorite movies (animated or not) in the last several years.
  49. Dec 26, 2010
    Amazing animation. The movie was very cute & funny, & left me impressed, due to my expectations that it was not going to be a mind-blowing movie. The best parts of the movie were not even in the ads. The horse was hilarious, the soundtrack was intense & well-fitting, the storyline & plot was never dull & always never unexpected nor predictable. Amazing movie that exceeds expectations. Please see this movie, & people of all ages should like it! Expand
  50. Dec 24, 2010
    Quite an animation. I was so impressed, Tangled gives us a fresh interpretation of the well known fairytale - extreamly funny, entertaining, breathtaking - Such a wonderful hour and a half to spend with your little brother :)
  51. Dec 23, 2010
    I went to this movie with fairly low expectations because I thought "The Princess and the Frog" from last year was mediocre. I love animation so I check out most releases. This turned out to be Disney's best feature in awhile. It certainly helped that the music was WAY better than the Frog movie. The humor is elevated high enough for both children and adults to enjoy, and some of the animation is amazing - particularily the scene where they let go of the lanterns while on the boat. At first you might roll your eyes at all the impossible tasks the princess can do with her hair, but after awhile you just go with it. It is a fairy tale after all. The movie doesn't quite reach the level of "Toy Story 3" or "How to Train Your Dragon", but it's very close. Expand
  52. Dec 11, 2010
    Though a touch slow at first, once this movie really begins it shines. Beautifully animated, with a very wonderful "Into the Woods" vibe, this film was a little bit of everything wonderful, making it easily rewatchable. It's fun and full of energy.
  53. Dec 11, 2010
    Disney always gets it right, they really do. Though i guess there is some minor criticism for Tangled: it runs a bit slow in the beginning, and the musical pieces are not exactly blockbusters. But who cares... it's got everything a modern American cartoon needs: simple enough to keep the kids on track, enough adult humor to keep the adults entertained, and a very charming and heartwarming story to pull it together. Some of the sideshow-character development is stupendous, including Maximus the horse, and the gang of Ruffians. You don't need kids to go see this... I can tell you that personally... I don't have kids, but my girl and I had a wonderful date night... Enjoy. Expand
  54. Dec 6, 2010
    My friends and I really wanted to see Tangled ever since the previews and we were not disappointed. I loved the art style. it displays top-notch 3d animation in 3d but still echos the charm and cuteness of classic 2d Disney animation. The story is great too. It is packed with comedy drama and some really dark themes harking back to the Grimm's fairy tale it is based off. The songs aren't bad either. They were surprisingly catchy, not 'hakuna matatata' or 'under the sea' catchy but still really great. I think this is everything Disney fans have been waiting for since Beauty and the Beast. It is as creative, gorgeous, and fun as the classics before it while showing cutting edge technological animation techniques. Rapunzel is definitely my new favorite Disney princess. Expand
  55. Dec 4, 2010
    I was bored on a weekend so i thought i'd go see tangled, at that time i had heard already how great it was so i watched it with very high expectations, i am glad to say it went above and beyond what I expected from a princess movie. needless to say this was the BEST movie I have seen all year. this movie has everything that you need to make an instant classic. I would recommend this movie to anyone over 5. it is just Fabulous. Expand
  56. Dec 2, 2010
    This movie is a childrens movie and it made me leave feelig warm. Disney has done a great job with this story that has never been done surprisingly. This movie is one I will suggest to all adults with young children to enjoy it with. Very well done to all te participated with this movie. It was great!!
  57. Nov 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's not so simple to say that the whole entire kingdom is turning Japanese during the Hayao Miyazaki-influenced floating lantern ceremony. Modeled after "anime", what the Japanese refer to as traditional animation, the released lanterns which ascend towards the sky by the king's decree, function like the lanterns in the Toro Nagishi ritual, a Japanese observance based on the concept that the illuminating light will pilot the roaming spirits of the departed back to the other side. Knowing about this Buddhist tradition gives the royal parents an extra layer of pathos, because the annual ceremony, given the context of the film, seems to be predicated on the belief that the princess is alive and well, somewhere in the woods. The significance of the portable lighting devices will be lost on a western audience, but those who know their Asian lanterns will know that down deep inside, the king and queen believe in their heart of hearts what they perceive to be the truth about Rapunzel, the little girl who was snatched out of her crib so many years ago: she's gone, thus the lightweight lamps are offered to her memory as a guide towards some peaceable kingdom in the heavens. Those lanterns, however, are placed in the water. The flying lanterns are actually Chinese lanterns, Kongming lanterns, which are used in celebrations(primarily in a Thai festival called Yi Peng), and symbolize the universal human desire that all your problems and worries could simply float away, light as air. The two lantern traditions are tangled, but you never see the Chinese side of things, since the filmic signifier, the old-fashioned Miyazaki 2D-style that the Disney animators translated into the cartoon language of CGI, is Japanese. Therefore, the diegesis can be misleading, especially for those who don't know one lantern tradition from another, just like the trailer that preceded "Tangled", where the emphasis on Flynn Rider(Zachary Levi) absurdly upstages Rapunzel(Mandy Moore), as if girls matter less than boys, a notion that coincides with the Chinese/Japanese binary, in which the tradition of the former believes this to be true. Marketers know best, and marketers know that a film where the primary relationship is between a daughter and her "mother", and even worse, belt out showtunes, collectively, about independence and the anxiety over facing an empty nest, may scare off teenaged boys(the demographic that matters most in the biz), who wouldn't be caught dead at such a female-centric musical, otherwise. Gothel, Rapunzel's keeper, is not a one-dimensional villain like past Disney anatagonists; she manipulates Rapunzel with scare tactics and emotional blackmail to discourage her charge from wanting to venture out into the world, but the film hints at the possibility that the wizened old woman(made eternally young through the magical properties of the lost princess' long locks) loves her prisoner, completely independent of her parasitic need for Rapunzel's enchanted hair. In a sense, Gothel is just like any co-dependent mother, especially mothers who hail from non-western cultures where children are expected to provide care for their infirm parents as adults. Old people can suck the life right out of you: a cold, hard truth exemplified earlier this year in Nicole Holofcener's "Please Give"(the Rebecca Hall character spends a lot of time in a tiny apartment holed up with her grandmother), and in "Tangled", we see the metaphor, as Gothel siphons out a little more of Rapunzel's essence each time she renews herself through Rapunzel's hair. Anybody who has ever been a caregiver will relate to the warring emotions, an intermittence of giddiness and guilt, that the girl undergoes when she gets her first taste of freedom after Flynn rescues her. After all, Gothel is the only "mother" she knows. Akin to a Japanese lantern, Flynn casts a monolithic presence over the proceedings in his own right, as both Rapunzel and the Chinese lantern are supplanted by the perceived stronger sex, and heritage(current status of the rival countries, notwithstanding), who co-opted their neighbor's culture and made it their own. Expand
  58. Nov 29, 2010
    Took my kid sister to see Tangled the day it came out, because I had nothing better to do. I was expecting to bored out of my mind. The commercials made it look like just another standard Disney princess movie a la Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid: movies I didn't particularly like even as a kid. And, in part, it was a standard princess movie. It had an animal sidekick, an evil "step-mother", random outbursts of singing, and, of course, a princess who doesn't know she is one. What makes Tangled special, though, is the fact that it goes above and beyond the standard. Its dark parts are darker, its humor is lighter, its singing is better, its voice acting superb. There were only a few "problems", which I only noticed because I was looking for them. In the scene where Rapunzel and Flynn are wet, for instance, the normally flawless character animation seems a bit fake. Also, the songs seem a little forced into the story, and are almost copied from The Lion King, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, and Mulan 2 (By the way, if you haven't seen Mulan 2, I envy you). However, the singing in all these songs (particularly "Mother Knows Best") is enough to overcome any contrivity. I absolutely loved the voice acting, particularly by whoever plays Flynn Rider (I can't quite remember his name). It was completely believable, and his character comes off perfectly. Another thing that I didn't quite like was the ending (THESE NEXT 9 WORDS ARE THE ONLY PART WITH SPOILERS): but that's only because I like my girls blonde. There was really no other way to pull off the story, and the story was better for it anyway. The best of the animation was in the eyes. Through the characters' eyes, you can see every thought, every emotion, every plan forming. The eyes in Tangled are possibly the best I've seen ever in a non-Pixar film. Overall, this movie is astounding, and the best Disney, non-Pixar film since the Lion King, and should give TS3 a run for its money at the Oscars. Expand
  59. Nov 29, 2010
    I loved this movie. I had high hopes and they were definitely meant. This is a classic Disney fairytale and one that has been sorely missed in the annual collection of films that the big studios have been pumping out. I've loved the recent Disney Pixar films and even a few of the Dreamworks movies but there's been a big gaping hole where a family oriented, moral driven, and fun film that has quality songs used to be every year. Keep up the good work Disney! The theater I was in was packed with kids and they were all laughing up a storm.

P.S. originally the first trailer I saw with the Pink's "Trouble" really turned me off from seeing this film. If there's someone else who feels that way, don't let that trailer deter you from seeing "Tangled"
  60. Nov 28, 2010
    Amazing, amazing, amazing! Funny, adorable, engaging. And I'm 44. I have and would recommend this to anyone. Totally worth a full price ticket any day.
  61. Nov 27, 2010
    I took my daughter (age 6) to see this today, we both loved it. I love that Disney brought back the classic fairy tale formula. It felt like the Disney of my childhood is back and I honestly enjoyed it a lot. We both laughed through most of the movie. Characters were great animation was great, just a fun family movie.
  62. Nov 27, 2010
    So, I'd seen the previews for this movie...and thought it might be O.K. But tonight I caught it with a couple of friends, and must say, Wow, it Blew Me Away. How witty is Rapunzel! She was adorable from the get-go! I loved her. The beginning of the movie reeled me right in...until the final scene. A wonderful magical journey of a kidnapped princess. This movie was SO GOOD! I saw it in 2D, but I hear it's even better in 3D.

See this movie.
  63. Nov 27, 2010
    I went into "Tangled" skeptical and unsure of what to expect; I left extremely pleased and impressed with Disney's efforts. As an animator myself, I was blown away by the quality of the animation and the detail that obviously went into each and every one of the models. The animation in this movie is top-notch, and deserves any praise that it gets in terms of technical execution. The script itself contains a fairly typical Disney love story that I must admit - I rolled my eyes at, especially upon realizing that it was a musical. However, the comedy truly won me over - I was cracking up consistently throughout the entire film. The audio engineering behind the movie and its soundtrack was also great; The voice acting is nearly perfect, the audio is crisp and clear, and though some of the songs were forgettable, none of them were a chore to watch. Essentially, I have no complaints about this film - and I am very critical of animated films, especially coming out of Disney. This may very well be a top contender right alongside Toy Story for animated film of the year. 10/10, would love to see again. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Helen O\'Hara
    Jan 24, 2011
    Not just a pretty face; there's meat on its bones and a song in its heart besides. This deserves a place up there with the best of Disney's previous fairy tales.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Dec 9, 2010
    Disney's spirited re-telling of Rapunzel in 3D animation turns out to be a dazzler.
  3. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    Dec 9, 2010
    There aren't that many songs this time - just a handful, reprised ad infinitum. You get to sing most of them, so I'm sure you've noticed how bland they are.