5.9

1. Oct 25, 2014
    Teeth: 5 out of 10: This is the second vagina dentata film I have seen; it is unfortunately the lesser effort. This despite tremendous guerilla marketing campaign that could make one think this is the first cinematic foray into such a taboo subject let alone the greatest horror film since “Sliced: The Baker of Bread”.

The film spends its first half an hour on a lightweight parody of the

The film spends its first half an hour on a lightweight parody of the Teen Chastity movement complete with the wearing of red rings to show that they are pledged virgins. In a creepy post release twist, the chastity group is called Promise and uses something that resembles the Obama presidential red O as its symbol. I am not sure this is what the Obama campaign had in mind.

After a half an hour of jabs at the religious right and nuclear power, (Cooling towers are ominously and unscientifically billowing black smoke behind our protagonist’s house.) The film segues into the feminist revenge film we all paid good money for.

Needless to say, hormones being what they are, the dentata enabled virgin (Jess Weixler) finds herself getting hot and heavy with her born again virgin boyfriend (Hale Appleman). When he takes her no to mean yes and attempts to date rape her... well her teeth go to work and Appleman finds himself short one manhood.

Do remember that film when the guy loves the girl and she betrays him so he cuts her vagina with a broken beer bottle, killing her, and the audience cheers him on? No? I don’t either. Because they never made that film... and if they did, audiences would burn down the theater. Welcome to the double standard. And don’t get me wrong, I approve of this particular double standard in theory, but the misandry of this film is overwhelming. Add in some unsubtle homosexual subtext (and gratuitous male nudity both membered and dismembered) and one gets the idea that the film is against heterosexual intercourse in general. This ironically gives it the same moral compass as the Chastity Group it mocks. This is simply forced chastity from the other side.

The problem is poor direction by Mitchell Lichtenstein. His tone is all over the place and sloppy. If he wants his protagonist to seek out lovers then kill them for imagined slights (as she does later in the film) shouldn’t the film reflect this change from victim to predator? Director Lichtenstein also wastes a tremendous performance by John Hensley as Weixler’s older, evil brother. Hensley creates a character of true banal evil. A stupid selfish bad guy that feels like a very real person. His scenes are the best in the film, yet the climatic denouement is simply more of the same and honestly does not feel true to the character. (This would have been a perfect time for the film to put in a twist such as incestuous anal sex.) The films performances are overall quite good with Jess Weixler and Hensley as the standouts. The film is also extremely graphic with various male gentalia being sliced and gaping bloody wounds in the crotch area. (Not for nothing but would not a male member lose its erection if severed?) Unfortunately, Teeth, much like that recent killer baby flick Grace, ends where it should have begun. If you want to see a Vagina Dentata film done right, take a gander at Angst (Or Penetration Angst, as it is known overseas.). Fiona Horsey brings a certain je ne sais quoi to the art of dismembering men that an American virgin just cannot compete with.
  2. Jan 20, 2014
    What the actual f*ck? Teeth Vagina? It certainly has a few bright spots, but too much emphasis is being made throughout the movie on the fact that a girl has teeth genitalia.
  3. Mar 25, 2013
    A ladyfriend told me to watch Teeth so I did. Lesson learned. Avoid women with toothed vaginas.

Other then how corny this movie is, which I feel is what it aimed for, it's really unnerving. It made me really uncomfortable seeing her snatch bite off men's organs. It's kinda crazy, and the whole "step-brother sex scene" at the end was really...odd. Didn't he love her, and got mad because she became his step-sister?

Oh well. Fun movie to sit through once, and could be fun to see the reaction of your friends. Specifically your guy friends.
  4. ShawnA.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Brilliant.
  5. PAlex
    May 13, 2008
    When I watched the trailer I really thought this could be a good movie because of its original content. But the humor and drama don't hold up well over the poor pacing and unreasonable direction it takes. The main character is pretty but seriously, no man seems to be able to cross her path without wanting to rape her?
  6. EinarJ.
    May 9, 2008
    Surprising! The whole affair was satyrical, acted well, and gory. It reminds me fiercely of the Kill Bill series (actress, gore and such). But the real spark in Teeth is the wonderful heroine/villain. Just out there, full of ideas. The directing could have been improved, but I still adore this album.
  7. ChadS.
    May 9, 2008
    Concerning Dawn's killer vagina, the filmmaker had two choices. The vagina could either be in tune with Dawn's mind, or a rogue element in the girl's body that tunes her out. The filmmaker decided that a telepathic vagina, rather than an impervious vagina, better served his story. When Dawn(Jess Weixler) senses trouble, her "p****" throws a hissy fit and acts on the Concerning Dawn's killer vagina, the filmmaker had two choices. The vagina could either be in tune with Dawn's mind, or a rogue element in the girl's body that tunes her out. The filmmaker decided that a telepathic vagina, rather than an impervious vagina, better served his story. When Dawn(Jess Weixler) senses trouble, her "p****" throws a hissy fit and acts on the girl's behalf. The men get what they deserve. Their advances are either non-consensual(to be frank, it's rape), or duplicitous. But what if Dawn actually fell in love, and wanted to express her love physically? Now that's one vagina monologue I'd love to hear; a plea to her vagina that it grant passage to a benevolent, albeit "angry" penis. Ryan(Ashley Springer) looks like he's in love with Dawn, but inexplicably, the film turns him into a rapist. This awkward tonal shift clumsily introduces the truth about Dawn's vagina. If "Teeth" had a brain, and more importantly, a heart and soul, it actually had the makings of an "Edward Scissorshands" for girls. Collapse
  8. JayH.
    Apr 29, 2008
    The plot is certainly unique in this very unusual film that is darkly funny. It is not for all tastes, but is well paced and it certainly can be entertaining. Well acted.
  9. viiv
    Apr 23, 2008
    One of the achievements of this movie is to present the audience with a question: When does a man deserve to have his genitalia violently removed? The answer is easy to come by since the writer neglects to include any positive male roles in the film. As the hero gets used to her newfound power, the audience is prompted to laugh (in horror, but laughter nonetheless) when she performs a One of the achievements of this movie is to present the audience with a question: When does a man deserve to have his genitalia violently removed? The answer is easy to come by since the writer neglects to include any positive male roles in the film. As the hero gets used to her newfound power, the audience is prompted to laugh (in horror, but laughter nonetheless) when she performs a spontaneous penectomy on a high school kid, simply because she regretted having had sex with him. I challenge someone to make a movie like this where the roles are reversed, where a man runs around mutilating women's genitalia for reasons ranging from serious to completely frivolous. I doubt anyone could accept the mutilator as the protagonist, as was the case in this movie. In terms of technique, the movie was well done, but the unabashed man-hating gets a little old. Expand
  10. JakeT.
    Jan 28, 2008
    I don't why reviewers have been singing this film undue praise. This film is like Lorena Bobbitt's wet dream. Movies like this should be banned. The only people who would miss sexual mutilation in movies are sick psychos. Would you promote a movie where the protagonist was a man who went around destroying women's vaginas? I think it's a red flag that our society has I don't why reviewers have been singing this film undue praise. This film is like Lorena Bobbitt's wet dream. Movies like this should be banned. The only people who would miss sexual mutilation in movies are sick psychos. Would you promote a movie where the protagonist was a man who went around destroying women's vaginas? I think it's a red flag that our society has become ridiculously misandric when an entire film is dedicated to destroying the body part that defines men as men. I've also never heard of a horror in which all the victims are one gender. I smell a hate crime. I bet all the victims are white too. Of course if all the victims weren't white males, it would be viewed as a hate crime. I hate being a white man, because few sympathize with us for the racist sexist hatred and psychological rape we have to endure. It seems that people actually endorse this. A friend of mine told me that one of the victims in the movie isn't even a rapist, he just tells about his consentual encounter with her, then she punishes him the worst way for that. Anyone who finds this film amusing (especially women) are doing Satan's work. He's the only one who could rejoice at sexual mutilation. Those that support this tripe, will have only themselves to blame when it starts to show women being treated in the same way in movies. After all, people are going to get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again. Speaking of which, isn't this film a little redundant? Castration over and over again... *throws up* That's the one thing I never want to see in a movie, and now a whole movie is dedicated to it. Expand
  11. BrianG.
    Jan 26, 2008
    Complete and utter misandrist filth. I'd just love to see the reaction of those who praise TEETH if, instead, someone had introduced a film in which the male protagonist destroyed women's genitalia. Is our societal hatred of men actually reached the level that this is the next logical step?
  12. MichaelM.
    Jan 25, 2008
    Schlocky and occasionally hilarious film. The lead actress gives a terrifically sensitive and assured performance in what must have been an extremely difficult role. An interesting mash up of genres. Director shows real promise in presenting something so original. A very well done B movie. I agree that it has definite cult classic potential.
  13. JesseB.
    Jan 24, 2008
    Brilliant film if you can make it through (four people at my screening walked out). It's way underrated. It will stand the test of time as a cult classic. Great suspense, performances (especially the lead), *extremely* funny, disturbing - just all around great. I'm very disappointed in the critics for being too squeamish to look past the severed penises.
  14. JayB.
    Jan 21, 2008
    This movie is surprisingly witty. I'm not sure if its scarier, or funnier, but the combination makes for an outstanding take on a very strange topic.
  15. AlbrightK.
    Jan 18, 2008
    A totally original very, very black comedy. Yes, it does hit a lot of genres, but does so in a charming and entertaining manner.
  16. SamE.
    Dec 8, 2007
    Best film I saw at Sundance 2007. I saw it at a press and industry screening and even that audience hooted , hollard and loved it.

1. Reviewed by: Jamie Tipps
    Like a deranged version of “Clueless,” the film is light-hearted, yet subversive, displaying a surprisingly wicked bite…literally.
    This is going to be a notorious film that young audiences will be daring themselves to see, but it's actually funnier, darker and more troubling before it turns into a carnival of repeated dismemberment.
  3. The most alarming cautionary tale for men with wandering libidos since "Fatal Attraction." It may also be the first horror movie that women drag men to see rather than the reverse.