American Zoetrope | Release Date: June 11, 2009
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 21 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
StanleyKubrickJul 28, 2016
One of Francis Ford Coppola's most personal and beautiful films with great locations (Argentina), a good cast (Klaus Maria Brandauer!) and wonderful b&w cinematography (Mihai Malaimare Jr.).
FisherNov 11, 2013
Vincent Gallo is extremely talented in many ways. He is also complex sensitive, poetic and very funny. The public responses to him vary greatly. He is completely misunderstood and those who misunderstand his intensions and humor willVincent Gallo is extremely talented in many ways. He is also complex sensitive, poetic and very funny. The public responses to him vary greatly. He is completely misunderstood and those who misunderstand his intensions and humor will certainly misunderstand his masterful works of art. Gallo's performance in Tetro is fantastic Expand
AlanYJul 17, 2009
Visually and dramatically spellbinding. The dramatic tension is perfectly paced, the principal actors are riveting, and I especially liked the cinematography. This is not a mass-market film, but the work of an artist.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
CaroleGJul 2, 2009
It is very hard to have a successful story based solely on revelations of what happened in the past. Somehow, magically, Coppola pulled this off with "The Conversation," in which he held us fascinated, as the puzzle of what happened slowly It is very hard to have a successful story based solely on revelations of what happened in the past. Somehow, magically, Coppola pulled this off with "The Conversation," in which he held us fascinated, as the puzzle of what happened slowly gets solved. With "Tetro," there is no coherent story, i.e., a story that utterly coheres. I have to ascribe this to Coppola's using material that is very personal and then trying to make it interesting to the viewer; alas, he drags in whatever he thinks will work, even though the action-enhancing parts are not all of a piece. Because there is no story to follow, we are dependent on the two main characters, but I was unable to care about either of them. All this negativity aside, the film is gorgeous to watch, in its dramatic black and white, an occasionally unexpected angle, the way the camera can make us focus on a small area as though it were the entire world, reminiscent of old Japanese films such a "Tokyo Story." I wanted to love this film. I barely liked it. The very beginning held my interest, and then for a long time the grievances were played and re-played, which I found boring, and finally there were bursts of action that took the film to a level of improbability from which it was impossible to suspend disbelief. I heard Coppola on the radio recently talking about himself--it was utterly fascinating. Great talkers and great directors are not necessarily great writers. I wish someone else had written "Tetro." Collapse
0 of 1 users found this helpful
amk76makJun 28, 2009
Just want to say that i love the Dracula and Apocalypse But..... You everyone begging for FFC and don/t see that whole 15 years he shot holy crap.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
DrewJun 18, 2009
Coppola is back! I couldn't be happier with the film. It had a great story, great acting, it was beautiful to look at, and I was captivated by it the whole time. Bravo, Mr. Coppola.
1 of 1 users found this helpful