The 40 Year Old Virgin

8.2

1. mitchm.
    Jan 2, 2006
    One laugh. Nuff said. (and that one was the already well-rehearsed chest waxing scene, which we'd all seen in trailers for month preceding) My expectations were admittedly high, and this sad flick dashed them to pieces. I could barely sit through it.
  2. alg.
    Dec 30, 2005
    I laughed once.
  3. TalmadgeW.
    Sep 2, 2006
    Mind you, I am far from a prude but I thought this movie was in very bad taste, offensive to both sexes, dull most of the way through. I don't know people who use that kind of language or who are totally sex driven. I am extremely concerned that so many people raved about it. Where is our society going? What kind of person would write such trash?
  4. DW
    Oct 7, 2005
    I feel the need to be the lone, non-prudish voice to say that I felt this movie to be a total stinker. Rankness, that's fine, stupid humor, OK; I can even go along with a movie that looks like it was shot for the most part in a warehouse; but a lead character who switches from nebbish innocence to foul-mouthed smart-ass just to serve the joke of the moment undercuts character and I feel the need to be the lone, non-prudish voice to say that I felt this movie to be a total stinker. Rankness, that's fine, stupid humor, OK; I can even go along with a movie that looks like it was shot for the most part in a warehouse; but a lead character who switches from nebbish innocence to foul-mouthed smart-ass just to serve the joke of the moment undercuts character and wipes out the whole thing for me. Didn't it bother all the people who thought this movie was so sweet to have a scene where a strange man enters a young woman's bathroom while she's in the bathtub, and lasiviously remove his shirt in a way that could only portend to her (slutty or not) the beginning of a rape? Expand
  5. LenB.
    Dec 16, 2005
    What a disgusting movie! If this is what our young adults enjoy and think is funny, our country is in more trouble than I thought.
  6. TravisC.
    Jul 18, 2006
    I could not, for the life of me, understand how anyone thought this movie was even average, much less ABOVE average. The "jokes" were stale, the characters uninteresting and unfunny, and this one-trick pony shot its wad way too early.
  7. Christy
    Aug 27, 2005
    DISGUSTING. It is sad that people can accept a movie like this as humor. Where have people's morals gone? This movie sent so many horrible messages to young people (& i'm only 24!)
  8. SteveW.
    Jan 11, 2006
    Absolute crap. Writers must have taken 10 minutes to write this plot. Lets see how many times we can use the F-word. Disappointing.
  9. DeWayneP.
    Jan 6, 2006
    This is one of the worst films I have ever seen...any positive comedic value you get from this movie has more to do with your intellectual level and bad taste.
  10. bobby
    Dec 22, 2005
    It might be possible to create a more cliched format, a flatter script, more boring characters and unimaginative cinematography-a 0- am looking forward toJud Atarow's next film.
  11. JoshE.
    Dec 3, 2005
    This is what America likes?
  12. SheilaP
    Aug 25, 2005
    I actually walked out of this movie. The language and the way they talked about women was a major turnoff. Could not find anything funny about it. I rarely walk out of a movie, but this one was simply an insult.
  13. D.G.
    Jan 11, 2006
    I hated this movie. Had I gone to the theater I would have walked out and asked for my money back. I just didn't see the humor in it. I felt that the movie degraded women, and was too long. My boyfriend rented it because he'd seen it and thought I'd like it. I told him during the movie that it was a guy flick. I didn't think it was a movie women would find to be a 10 I hated this movie. Had I gone to the theater I would have walked out and asked for my money back. I just didn't see the humor in it. I felt that the movie degraded women, and was too long. My boyfriend rented it because he'd seen it and thought I'd like it. I told him during the movie that it was a guy flick. I didn't think it was a movie women would find to be a 10 or even a 6 or 7 in rating. I found this movie to be more geared for teens. I can't say enough negative things about this movie. Expand
  14. J.S.
    Jan 18, 2006
    I was quite disappointed after hearing so much good news about it. In reality, the jokes weren't THAT funny, and the movie seemed to drag on after some time. In addition, it really seemed like they forced too much vulgarity into the language / script. Swear words can convey a lot, but it seemed like the writers were forcing them, making things unnatural in my eyes. I was bored, and I was quite disappointed after hearing so much good news about it. In reality, the jokes weren't THAT funny, and the movie seemed to drag on after some time. In addition, it really seemed like they forced too much vulgarity into the language / script. Swear words can convey a lot, but it seemed like the writers were forcing them, making things unnatural in my eyes. I was bored, and the end didn't come fast enough. There were a few very funny parts, but overall -- disappointing. Expand
  15. Anti-virgin40yearold
    Jan 25, 2006
    Never trust the paid-critics. Despite huge "metascore", this is shallow vulgar primitive calculated one-joke for dorks. And Steve Carell is good only as a dumb sidekick to some real good comedians like Will Ferrel.
  16. FredG.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Not that funny. Very little redeeming value. I totally don't get the good ratings. Most of the people I talked to agree that this movie wasn't that good. Every episode of The Office is funnier than this.
  17. GeorgeD.
    Dec 24, 2005
    This is a film that couldn't make the distance on genuine content so made it up with grossness and vulgarity. i read so many glowing reviews of this grindingly ordinary film that when I actually saw it, I wondered if there was another "40 Year Old Virgin" out there somewhere that actually was funny and insightful. This certainly wasn't.
  18. Ret
    Dec 6, 2005
    Typical hollywood cliche american teens seem to love.
  19. Marsha
    Aug 28, 2005
    Extremely crude and sophomoric; poor character development; women unrelievedly as sexual parts; and, actually, not funny. Very few in the audience were laughing. Inccredibly discouraging that this is what some people take as normal behavior.
  20. Alessandra
    Aug 31, 2005
    I just don't understand the rave reviews. In all honesty, I found this movie mildly offensive. Women are discussed in a slightly degrading manner. As for the acting, there was hardly any character developement. Besides being slightly amusing at times, this film was a total waste of money.
  21. BillN.
    Dec 18, 2005
    "This movie deserves a 10!!! I wuved it! I mean the potty jokes! Hilarious! Man, I loved LOVED LOVED THIS movie!" said Bill with sarcasim, "Actually, this movie sucked. Everyone left the theatre I was in, and I was there alone with my best buds, then we left."
  22. Mike
    Dec 19, 2005
    Some funny moments, but overall very bad movie.

Steve Carell, best known as a team player on "The Daily Show," "The Office" and such movies as "Anchorman," earns top-banana status as Andy. He is flat-out hilarious.
  2. Sticking to one joke in an unconscionably long film makes for a very stale, witless and repetitive comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Crude, sophomorically homophobic but frequently funny, pic also overstays its welcome a bit and indulges in some juvenile excesses. All told, though, The 40 Year Old Virgin delivers enough belly laughs.