7.0

1. May 2, 2014
    It's just so bland and boring.... the film lacks a pulse. There was one genuinely heart-felt moment toward the very end of the film that got me, but the rest? Very blah. The second Captain America film was a thousand times better than this film. The chemistry between the two leads is meager, the bad guys don't inspire fear like those in the the Dark Knight series - not even close. You can't even put those two franchises in the same paragraph. I was a HUGE Spider-Man fan as a kid - what a shame that they can't make a good movie for this character. (Or a good video game, for that matter.) Expand
  2. May 3, 2014
    I'm really sad for Marc Webb he's been more and more disappointing since his romantic flick '500 days of summer'. In 'The amazing Spider-Man 2' there's a lot of plot holes and the characters don't feel like they've been developed properly. The movie force-feed information that aren't even required for the plot to advance. It feels like the movie has been rushed and is overly complicated as it lose itself in explosions, electricity and cgi. Expand
  3. May 2, 2014
    This film is just boring and much too long, characters are ridiculusly overdrawn, gwen-peter plot is annoying and boring, you will be wanting to kill spiderman long before electro. I never felt so cheated in cinema.
  4. May 2, 2014
    Sally Field I love you, but the rest of the movie is bringing me down. I feel like if I had no exposure to complex feelings and emotions in my life, I would have enjoyed this film much better. The problem with films like this is that they fail to realize their own shortcomings and act as if they don't exist, then completely overcompensate for their feared lack of identity by throwing in enough noise and wow factor that they hope you forget/cant see past the explosions that 80% of the characters in this film have the depth of a broken shot glass. For real though, what happened to Unchained Jamie Foxx? Rather here we get to endure a humorless version of Bait Jamie Foxx. Yeah, who remembers that s***. Expand
  5. May 3, 2014
    The events that took place in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 are enough to make one question if it was really worth rebooting the Spider-Man series two years ago.
  6. May 2, 2014
    The first instalment was pretty solid, but this film, tries so desperately to make us laugh with flat jokes, cry with unexpected deaths, and be on the edge of our seats with lame action sequences; with laughable villains that just try to be popular. But there's still something about The Amazing Spider-Man franchise that can be repair for the next one.
  7. May 2, 2014
    one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life
    in last 11 months I have seen 138 movies that I have never seen and about 20+ already seen so yeah I think I know what I'm talking about
    1 part wasn't bad I knew in 1 part will be a lot of dialogues etc. because they have to show again whole Peter Parker story but when I seen trailers of the second part I thought whole movie will be
    full of action like Man of Steel because in trailers they showed 3 villians of Spider-Man but the truth is
    in movie there are 2 fights with Electro and 2 with Rhino and 1 fight with Goblin
    fights wasn't longer maybe than 3 minutes so whole movie was packed in boring dialogues
    and I don't know for who that movie really was. Maybe for 8 years old girl or ok maybe for 11 years old girl
    there was a lot of romantic boring sh*t nothing for Man!

I really enjoyed Electro character Jamie Foxx did fantastic work and effects of movie was cool like some camera **** etc. but I had poker face while watching fights after 1 hour watching because I had already enough this movie and I was bored as fu*k
    I count 6 times when I wanted to get out from the cinema but I was with family so I don't had really choice I could say :P

NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE sorry. I wasted only free day and money :/
  8. May 2, 2014
    This movie was awfully disappointing, the scenes were placed badly, I went into the cinema psyched, because everyone told me it was way better than the first AMazing Spider Man which i thought was terrible. People have mixed opinions, Jaimie Fox didnt match the character and was way too powerful than he shouldve been, Rhino is stupid, and Harry is freakin ridiculous. Toby Mcquire ones are better and more in depth.

I'm Sorry Andrew Garfield, but i want my money back.
  9. May 11, 2014
    Amazingly Bad. For such a great Marvel character and how good the Spidey "reboot" started out in ASM1 - This movie fails at almost every turn.
    It wants to build up the "Stacy/Parker" relationship, but all we get are an overload of half a dozen or so scenes that go nowhere. Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield both seems to be desperately searching to be anywhere else other than this movie
    their dialogue in these scenes seems forced and uncomfortable and only adds to the clunky pacing of the film.
    Jamie Foxx a talented Actor and Comedian appears as Electro the more or less central villain of the film. Foxx is totally wasted here as he is given almost nothing to say and even less to do but act as a focal point for Michael Bay-level Special Effects. Ditto for Paul Giamatti.
    The motivations behind why many of these villains become villains are so oddly concocted that they are beyond ridiculous and in some cases missing altogether, this is also true for many scenes in the movie itself even in an a truly awkward moment near the end of the movie that seems intent to create a somber and heartfelt moment, but is more so just a desperate gimmick. There are scenes that go on and on and on well past their expiration date and others that seem inserted from the movie that this one was supposed to be. I read somewhere that several different writers worked on the script for this movie– They all must have really disliked each other.
    I get it these are all supposed to be comic book characters, but that is exactly what has made many of the movies in the Marvel Universe (i.e.,Avengers, Captain America, etc.) so good; the filmmakers made an effort to try and portray the characters as somewhat realistic people. This movie is so bad that even the Marvel trademark ‘Easter Egg’ is botched as a hastily added afterthought.
  10. May 2, 2014
    Horribly written, bad dialogue that isn't funny, action is scarce, no character is fleshed out, lots of missed potential, directing is weaker than the first Amazing Spiderman movie, really everything is nothing close to as good as it was in the last movie. Only positives are the actors try to make their bad lines work and the special effects were good but neither of those things can make a bad movie good. Expand
  11. May 16, 2014
    A complete mess with little direction or sense. The characters serve almost no purpose to the overall plot, the dialouge is horrible, and Electro is basically Jim Carrey as the Riddler in Batman forver. Go back and watch this I'm not kidding a complete and utter ripoff. Too much back and forth dialogue with little to no point mixed in with several plot lines that in no way connect.
  12. May 2, 2014
    I never thought I would ever hate a Spider Man movie.Well,it happened..Generally the movie is overcrowded with stuff.The will they-wont they relationship between Gwen and Peter is annoying because it goes back and forth.They brake up then make up and then brake up and make up again.Peter Parker's parents story is unnecessary.The villains are dull as hell.The scenes generally arent connected.It feels more like a whole bunch of scenes put together without charm and beauty.The action is not exciting at all other than the fact that the Spider Man swinging scenes were really good and cool and made the character more dynamic.This movie was a huge let down.I felt so uncomfortable and instead of dragging me into the story it kept pushing me out of it and made me hate it,a lot cause Sam Raimi's trilogy made me love this superhero and he became my favorite but this is an unnecessary rebooted saga that its not even close to Raimi's pictures.Webb and Sony better make up for this mess. Expand
  13. May 7, 2014
    Extremely long for this type of movie, overly dramatic, script all over the place. Good FX though, everything else is just a disaster, boring and not exciting at all.

A extremely miscast Jaime Foxx trying (and failing) to be funny.
  14. May 10, 2014
    Such a crap! There was one genuinely heart-felt moment toward the very end of the film that got me, but the rest? Very blah. The second Captain America film was a thousand times better than this film. The chemistry between the two leads is meager, the bad guys don't inspire fear like those in the the Dark Knight series - not even close
  15. May 27, 2014
    If you're a hard core Spider Man fan and didn't like the Sam Raimi trilogy then by all means go for it. But for me, this movie was just terrible from beginning to end. No heart, no consistency, no conclusions, no point, no real fun, no passion from ANYBODY working on this from the screenwriters to the director! All it ends up amounting up to is a 2 and a half hour long trailer for the Sinister Six movie we all know is going to happen soon.
    Worst comic book movie I've seen in years!
  16. May 3, 2014
    Who would've thought; its even worse than the first Amazing Spider-man movie. The only reason this movie was made is for Sony to cash in on the franchise while they've still got it.
  17. May 2, 2014
    It pains me to say that this movie was just meh. There is way too much going on in this movie which lead to characters being underdeveloped and feeling overly long. This movie was way over promoted as well in that there were no exciting scenes that weren't in the trailers. Garfield and Stone were really good again, the visuals were great and I liked the new theme by Hans Zimmer. Better luck next time I guess. Expand
  18. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did not like the movie because it has many villains and little explanation for these villains, that way the movie turned into a sea of ​​things without explanation, in my opinion the movie should have had at least one or two villains to have a good time movie and sufficient time for the villains, because this film does not have a cool time villains, ums appear very little, and others appear to have been good this film it had to be at least 6 hours of film to have a good time and villains explain the whole story of villains and plot. Expand
  19. May 4, 2014
    I can't say I enjoyed this film. I had many issues with it. The primary issue is poor story telling. The writers really displayed the common issues with a lot of action films designed by comities. They have plot points to hit and the story in between these points suffers, taking away from them when they are finally revealed. I can imagine that connecting them all can be difficult, but that’s what sets good writers apart from the others. It is not hard to see that Sony really had their hands in this movie (IE: soundtrack, advertising, contractually obligated post credit scene) so I would assume they had a lot of control over the story as well. The film especially drags during the Peter Parker / Gwen Stacey scenes in which the chemistry and humor these two characters shared in the last film is gone; to be replaced by long and drawn out obvious dialog. The plot conveniences were astonishingly dumb (IE: Gwen is a scientist, therefore she understands how to bring up the backup systems at a power station on her own). The character design for the Green Goblin is something out of the Masters of the Universe film in the 80’s; once again another wasted character iteration for the Green Goblin. One would think with 50+ years of character history that Sony’s staff would be able to pick out a costume design fitting of the character…but no. Also, Electro’s character shares many similarities to the terrible adaptation of the Riddler in Batman Forever. The issue is really that the villains all feel like pawns, robbing them of their individuality and their importance in the Spider-man cannon. As for the mysterious sub plot involving Peter’s father and the shadowed puppet master), it continues on and it is still flat and uninteresting. This film feels like a prelude to something better or a means to a mediocre end. On the positive side, I will say that the action scenes were well done and that the special effects were stunning. However, if you are looking for a good comic book adaptation right now, go see Captain America, or see it again. Expand
  20. May 11, 2014
    Unfortunate failure. Some mediocre action, costume designs that reflect a lack of artistic ability(Floppy rhino-head especially) poor acting, and rehashed plots; this seems like a ridiculous mish-mash of the first two Spiderman movies without any of the good aspects.

Feel free to watch it; it has a few fun action scenes, and some decent music. Just don't expect a coherent plot or good acting.
  21. May 11, 2014
    The first thing I thought when the credits rolled for "The Abysmal Spiderman 2" was, "I paid money to see this?" This is the worst of the Spiderman movies ever. It is one of the most non-sensical, not cohesive, incoherent, and confusing movies I have seen since I can remember. The whole story was nothing but cliché after cliché after cliché. I give credit to the people involved in this tragedy for piling on the most clichés possible in this movie. And the love story between Peter and Gwen: ugh, I might as well have watched a bad soap opera. The villain in this one, Electro, played by the wonderful Mr. Jamie Foxx, is wasted in this movie and seems like more of an afterthought. How Foxx accepted being in this movie is beyond reason. And who wrote the script? They should never be allowed in Hollywood ever again. This is literally some of the dialogue in the movie, and believe me, there are no spoilers here. "I can't let you do this. It's too dangerous." "Is that all you got?" "Wait, wait! I know my way out." "It's going to be okay" "I will destroy you, Spiderman!"

The only thing that I did like in the movie, which is preventing me from giving it a 0, are the slow motion scenes. They are impressive from a technical standpoint, if only they weren't followed by a scene with a (wait for it) cliché!
  22. May 4, 2014
    Marc Webb is the wrong choice for Spiderman. Plain and simple. He just cant bring out Spiderman like Raimi did in Spiderman 1 and 2.

The Good: 1) Web Slinging was awesome. 2) Harry Osborn was easily the best part of the movie. 3) PP and Gwen's relationship was very believable though I felt that they spent too much time on it. This is a Spiderman movie not a love story.

The Bad: 1)
    Too long for the story they were telling. 2) Villain was given a back seat in favor of a love story. Also, villain's motivation is laughable. 3) Music was not emotional enough. I absolutely love Hans Zimmer but this was a miss-step. Other than Harry's transformation, at no point did I feel that adrenaline rush you get when something big is about to happen. 4) Terrible pacing. Jumbled script. Forced jokes. Spiderman talks too much when in action etc. Expand
  23. May 5, 2014
    Great actors in a bloated film with plot holes and tone problems. 10 year-old will enjoy, but parents will be looking at their watches. This belongs on the shelf with "Batman and Robin" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". This had the campiest, cheesiest tone I've seen in a long time.

Electro is played as confused loser prior to his transformation, we are never really clear why he hates
    Spiderman, and it's hard to feel menace when he is such a clown in the beginning. Dane DeHaan as Green Goblin is completely wasted - he was great in Chronicle, and has an air of menace in this. He wants Spiderman's blood to cure him of a fatal disease, his friend Peter won't give it to him for reasons that are never explained.

The score in this film is awful - it reminded me of watching Disney channel, or a bad sitcom, where we constantly need to be told how to feel by the music because the script itself cannot make us feel humor, excitement or tension. It looked like a film designed by a committee to maximize spin-off franchises, and when the director's lack of focus resulted in problems, they edited the hell out of it and ladelled on the score to distract. The campiness peaked in the film with a minor character, Dr. Kafka - a german scientist cliche wearing eyeliner and lipgloss for no apparent reason. The moment he appeared, it confirmed we were in abysmal movie territory.

We are asked to feel characters lives are in danger throughout the film, despite Spiderman usually fighting with an audience behind barricades cheering or jeering. I don't know about you, but when heavy rocket, machine-gun fire, lightening-strokes or plutonium are around, I usually try to avoid the area, and the police generally encourage that.

Might need Christopher Nolan to come in and do a gritty reboot after all the cheese on display here. It's sad because the leads have a lot of chemistry and charisma, it's just wasted on this film and this director. Go see Captain America or rent Chronicle instead - it's everything this film isn't.
  24. May 5, 2014
    Thought it was mediocre on my first viewing. On my second viewing I was completely bored. The only reason to see this movie is if you must see every Spider-Man film. The plot was poor, the side plots were terrible, the villains were boring. If you don't like cgi heavy films you are out of luck. The relationship between Peter and Gwen was not on par with the first movie. Some scenes put a smile on my face but they were few and far between.There was one great scene in the movie but you are better off just waiting to rent it on dvd. Please save your money and just rent it. Expand
  25. May 26, 2014
    Garfield/Webb is quickly becoming to Spider-Man what Clooney/Schumacher was to the Batman franchise. I'm surprised the Transformers didn't make an appearance.
  26. May 6, 2014
    This film could have been made 10 years ago and it still wouldn't have had a single fresh idea or concept. The first Amazing Spiderman was SO much better.There was nothing amazing in this movie, it had just about every superhero film cliche and trope, seen it all so many times before. Its not a bad film, just incredibly unoriginal and uninteresting.
  27. May 9, 2014
    This is one of the worst films I have ever seen. I honestly feel a 3 is generous here. First, the positives: the Spider-Man suit here is really, really good. The effects look nice (though the way Electro's electricity is visualised is pretty stupid), and are certainly better than the previous film. Gwen and Peter work together, kind of, but that's only on the basis of the actor's abilities and has nothing to do with the writing or direction.

The plot is a set of threads that don't coherently link together in any way. The only reason any of them ever connect is because they need to. For example, Gwen pops up near the end of the Electro fight because she needs to be there for the Goblin scene. How do we get her there? Oh, I guess she steals a police car. The writing is just so ridiculously lazy, I swear they came up with the major actions scenes and then decided how to link them later.

There are so many parts of this film that are just laughably poor. Anything to do with Aunt May, Harry and Norman's scene, the fake "buddy-buddy" relationship of Harry and Peter (who haven't even seen each other for a decade and are suddenly best friends again, reminiscing about old times), the ghost of Gwen's dad, some of the music choices (particularly when Peter is moping about Gwen/looking up info about his father), the "web-hand" near the end, the Goblin's appearance, the way Electro is beaten, the final shot/scene. I mean really, the end of this film, really? That's how you end a film? And for a film where so little happens, it's so damn long. I wanted it to end about 90 minutes in, and there's still so much to go.

Make no mistake, this is an objectively bad film.
  28. May 25, 2014
    By far and away the worst Spider-Man movie I have ever seen and almost as bad as Daredevil. It barely has a plot at all and the dialogue is so bad most of the scenes involving talking would be better with ear plugs on so you wouldn`t have to listen to them. The guy playing Spider-Man is incapable of delivering a single, ill written line for the duration of the movie. It all comes off as corny(in a bad way), obnoxious, unbelievable or all three at once. He reminds you of why adults as a general rule loathe high school age young people: instead of speaking properly it`s all AAAHMs and EEHs stuck in all over the place, and some annoying cool guy grimace, head bobbing and all the other hallmarks of ham acting and/or a lack of civilized education.
    If it wasn`t for ALL the dialogue in ALL the scenes between Peter Parker and Harry Osborn, all the dialogue between Peter Parker and Aunt May and in particular all the dialogue between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy I might give this movie about a 4, even if it would then have been about 35 minutes long, if that. But every stilted, poorly written and atrociously directed "love" scene between Parker and Stacy drags the movie down, down down until I for one sat with my sweater upside down over my head to distract myself and so I would not have to watch the disaster. Once or twice I even put my hands in my ears and rubbed vigorously so I wouldn`t have to listen to the inane babble posing as dialogue in this movie. It all sounded as if a couple of underachieving twelve year olds had written it.
    As for the villains, Electro is a black guy while he of course was not in the comics. Otherwise he is the only positive thing I can mention about The "Amazing" Spider man 2. The Green Goblin looks like he has some form of green necrosis whereas he of course wore a mask in the comics. And since he is now played by a guy who looks like weighs about 80 pounds the entire thing just looked silly.
    But these are far from the only deviations from the original story. The Rhino was not a robot, firing missiles at civilians, but a super human bank robber who had been given great strength but also a rhino suit he coulndn`t remove. And to think they stuck the only good actor appearing in this turkey (Paul Giamatti) inside a transformers like rocket launcher before calling this insult The Rhino. i was hoping for as long as possible that it was not The Rhino, but this became impossible as soon as Giamatti shouted "I`M THE RHINO!". Talk about subtle
    Of course the grating Gwen Stacy also dies in the wrong place and about two hours too late to rescue the movie from its complete lack of quality. And even after they finally kill her off, after a ridiculous sequence of baloney inside a clock tower which was more reminiscent of the classic Donald, Mickey and Goofy cartoon than the comic about her death from the 60s, they somehow manage to resurrect her in flashbacks. She even repeats a pointless graduation speech, as if it wasn`t trite enough the first time around. And it`s not just that it`s bad, but that it is never stops. The movie has about a 75-25 balance between these horrible scenes with Peter Parker talking to people, with his best frown and I have a 75 IQ smile on, and action/other, less horrible scenes. But in entirely the wrong direction! I barely had time to lean back with my popcorn to enjoy some dialogue-free action before he was there again, popping up like some recurring nightmare with his unbearably poor dialogue. If Stacy, May and Osborn had all died in the opening scene in a car crash this movie would have been better. I don`t care if they had replaced them with endless scenes of Garfield fighting hoodlums in New York back alleys. It would have been better.

I don`t mind alterations to the plot, which is about 50 years old after all. But at least make them because they are improvements or indeed for some intelligible purpose whatsoever, and not just to make Gwen Stacy a feminist or give the Green Goblin the plague.
    All the CGI in the world couldn`t have saved this one. And I wasn`t all that impressed with the visuals either. All flash and no substance does not a good movie make. You need believable characters, good dialogue and you know...a plot. This movie has neither. Avoid like the Green Goblin`s skin condition!
  29. Aug 3, 2014
    Another disaster in the world of superhero movies.Terrible, awful, extremely bad. Do not believe any of the 656 positive reviews. People who wrote those are either very dumb or they work for Sony or whoever else profits from this piece of excrement. I love Sony, but I used to love them a whole lot more before I saw this. If it's not too late, like it is for me, do not watch. Not in the cinema, not at home, not anywhere, not ever. However you look at life, it is far too precious to waste two hours of it on this film. For specifics, read the other red reviews. There's plenty there. Expand
  30. May 5, 2014
    High points: Good special effects, fun character designs, great Spider-man, decent humor.
    Low points: Distracting music, contrived situations, humorously bad dialogue with a distracting and strained love story, and a thick layer of cheese.
  31. Aug 3, 2014
    The words Sucks Major Ass describes it perfectly. From the stupid sub plot with Peter's parents (which has absolutely zero relevance to the film), The even dumber visions that Peter has of Gwen's Dad, The pathetic villains and their laughable portrayals (I hated the Rhino and found absolutely zero use for him in the film, Jamie Foxx was laughably bad as Max/Electro, and I thought what they did to the Green Goblin was a huge injustice despite loving the actor who portrays him).

Overall, Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a huge freaking drop off from the first film and I would strongly recommend avoiding it at all costs.
  32. May 2, 2014
    One of those films that were obviously produced because a group of guys in suits ordered it and not because the filmmakers wanted to make it. Not that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a terrible movie, it's just not a very good one either. Sony made a terrible mistake showing around half of the film (I'm not exaggerating) in the promotion material, because by the time you see it, the awe factor is pretty much gone. Everything is just a "been there, done that" experience.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone once more show charming chemistry, but unfortunately for them, they had to work with incredibly corny dialog. Jamie Foxx as Electro is the most unintentionally funny villain since Topher Grace's Venom, and what did they do to Paul Giamatti? He's great actor, but his acting was cringe-worthy here. Not to mention that his character is utterly pointless and expendable. Dane DeHaan is the scene stealer and did a fantastic job, he should have had more screen-time instead of a glorified cameo as Green Goblin (I'm not spoiling anything here since Sony already did that).

This reboot has everything it needs to be good, but TASM2 was a step backwards from what was achieved in the first film.
  33. May 7, 2014
    The story of this film is all over the place. It basically focuses on setting up these two villains, just so spider-man can have a big nutty fight at the end, with nothing in between to keep us interested. It still feels cluttered due to this boring romantic subplot with Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey, which overstayed it's welcome in the first movie and gets old fast in this one too. There is one moment which I thought was done very well, though.

The CGI is generally very good and the cast does it's job, but in my opinion its too long and uninteresting for it to be a good superhero action movie.
  34. May 2, 2014
    People, people, you have eyes but cannot see. You have tongues but have no taste. There is such a qualitative difference between the first two Spider-Mans & the first two Amazing Spider-Mans that Daredevil could see. For one thing I wasn't quite sure after the first one but I'm positive now: I don't care much for Andrew Garfield as the webslinger. He's a great actor when he's getting screwed out of billions but give me Tobey any day. My spidey-sense did tingle a bit when I saw they were turning the Rhino into a robot. I was pissed. All these years I've seen the Rhino in his super-tough rhino skin and I was really curious how they were going to pull that off. Easy, with a gaudy, mechanical suit that shoots bullets, yes bullets. Finally, we get to see a bad guy firing bullets at the hero. That's using your imagination. Expand
  35. May 9, 2014
    One word, BORING!!!, tired of the super hero pictures that are 75% about romance and 25% about the villain and they try to cram the action in the last 15 minutest of a two and a half hour film.
  36. May 2, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 faces almost the same problems that it's predecessor faced. The screenplay is weak and the story line lacks structure and consistency. The overlong story is clichéd, crowded with villains and contains some unnecessary subplots forced into it.
    It doesn't really surpass it's predecessor and considering the recent achievements of the superhero genre in recent years,
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 is a huge step back. It's not more than just a popcorn flick. It disappointingly fails more than it succeeds. Expand
  37. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is a certain level of laziness and half-assedness that pervades this entire film.

the action scenes were half-cooked, never building to anything remotely satisfying. There's no palpable danger, no sense of the good guys being overwhelmed, not even slick visuals. The heart of the story is in the romance between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy (played by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone respectively). They have an obvious chemistry despite the hackneyed dialogue, but the "will-they-won't-they" card played throughout the first two hours or so of the film is played so often that it becomes grating and a bit of a slog.

*SPOILER* Gwen Stacy's death and existence in this film pretty much serves as the Uncle Ben impetus of the Spider-Man story which is blatantly under served in this reboot of the series. Peter Parker never really seemed to give a damn about Uncle Ben -- neither does this franchise as a whole. It's quite a damn shame honestly.

The overall narrative is far more disjointed than a movie of this budget should ever be with relatively unrelated plot threads being taped together with bubble gum, spit, and a prayer. Why shouldn't Spidey's blood be given to Harry Osbourn? Oh, apparently Peter Parker has chosen one DNA thanks to his dad creating the genetic spiders that just happened to have bitten Peter. Strange coincidences such as this abound in a slipshod attempt at covering plot holes. Why is Oscorp's basement full of evil science weapons? Oh, well in one line someone mentions them selling weaponry overseas... I guess? The movie makes the mistake of paving over plot holes with cheap stucco. It's all told in throwaway moments instead of seen - a cardinal rule the "writers" of this particular installment broke like it was running out of style.

Dane Dehaan makes for an interesting idea of a villain, if only there had been more development of him as a character. Instead we're given a couple of goofy scenes and the assumption that his character, Harry Osbourn, and Peter Parker are best friends because we're told they are. The cringe-worthy and at times laughable dialogue does Dehaan no favors however, leaving the young thespian in the unenviable position of needing to polish a turd every time he delivers a line of dialogue.

Jamie Foxx as Electro is a visually interesting character, if not for the obvious lifting of Dr. Manhattan from Alan Moore's The Watchmen. Sadly, the same cannot be said of the character's... well, character. From obsessive, schizophrenic engineer, Max Dillon to the energy construct of Electro, Foxx feels like a character from a cheesy Saturday morning cartoon in a story that tries its hardest not to be cartoony. The result is a heterogenous mishmash of a character who should be taken as unstable and inadvertently (only to become decidedly) dangerous and a completely different origin character pulled from Jerry Lewis' The Nutty Professor. Thusly, his involvement, battle, and motivations come off as comedically awkward rather than the seemingly erratic, eerily creepy character it seems the film is going for. Also, a flat out WTF for the bizarro music attempting to let us hear Electro's internal thoughts to the glorious modern disco fad known as dub-step (or really, it's more popularized version, "bro-step" as the kids call it). It's a vaguely interesting premise that came off as straight up laughable in practice.

I'd love to speak more of Peter Parker and his development as a character, but there simply isn't much there. Aside from the effect of the completely impotent death of Gwen Stacy, Parker doesn't seem to learn much in a way that reveals more about him or makes him a better person. In fact, my biggest gripe with the first TASM was its insistence that Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy wind up back together at the end, despite Peter's promise to Gwen's father. It makes Peter unlikable in the extreme throughout this movie as he and Gwen continue to break up and get back together over the course, instead of the more emotionally intense staying apart out of necessity. This would have effectively motivated Peter chasing after Gwen when she mentions leaving for London. Instead, we get Peter Parker being a smug schmuck, and directly leading to Gwen's death in a moment that should have stolen the movie, and instead was utterly underwhelming. Followed by the repetition of a bizarrely unbelievable graduation speech from an "18" year old girl - I know she's supposed to be intelligent, but, PLEASE, this is supposed to be a high school valedictorian speech. Let's at least make it believable -- and it that way it probably would have been poignant instead of stilted and awkward.

The Amazing Spider-man 2 is a set up for Sony's attempt at expanding the Spider-man universe. Aside from creating and setting up villains for a "Sinister Six" film, there was nothing noteworthy that occurred. There were almost no characters, no drama, just a cute couple acting cute... until one of them dies.
  38. Jun 8, 2014
    Well, usually I think films are better than what the critics rate them. In this case however, I think the critics gave this film too much credit. Chemistry between characters just did not seem to be there. The dialog reminded me of the dialog of earlier Spiderman films--a rerun. The mass destruction of New York City is getting old. If Jamie Fox were cast to play Green Goblin, and Dane DeHaan to play Electro, this movie would have at least been more interesting. Expand
  39. Aug 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was amazing alright, but not for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the first Amazing Spider-Man. Sadly, what Marc Webb just did with #2 threw it all away. I saw the movie in IMAX 3-D and it came out as a watershed deja vu of Spider-Man 3 all over again. The good news is that the chemistry between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy worked incredibly beautiful, and Sally Field as Aunt May is perfect. (Extra points for Stan "The Man" Lee's cameo)

There is one problem: The film is TOO DAMN LONG!

Some are good, the rest fells flat in the face. The story doesn't feel any resemblance to Spider-Man unique origins story and turn it into a 2 1/2 hour full of a disjointed action romp that's filled with plotholes and cheesey one-liners. I almost forgot that Electro's character development is just the polar opposite of bland and dull. Jamie Foxx's performance as the lightning-rod villain/alter-ego Max Dillion is questionable. And Electro's CGI elements are overrot. He always complains too much with this mess. The (almost) ending scene where Gwen Stacy dies doesn't make any sense. It was supposed to be happily ever after and now Webb screwed it up. In fact, he screwed the rest of the fans (including, myself) and try to alienate the rebooted Spider-Man franchise from scratch. So much for Spider-Man 4. Also, earlier this year, I thought underrated newcomer Shailene Woodley should've, would,ve and could've been a great choice casting as fan-fave Mary Jane in #2, but I seriously don't understand why she was taken out of the picture and add Gwen Stacy instead. She is a great actress (although Divergent is very decent) and saying that she's not pretty enough might send the wrong message and let this baffoon of a director pretended that it was some sort of a mistake. F**k you, Marc Webb. I was surprised that all of the action is wasting too much time. Sure it might've been good, but I fell asleep and needless to say, that is not how you make a grand entrance to a supposedly amazing sequel, period. And whoever told Paul Giamatti plays as a laughable villain named Rhino almost at the end and Spider-Man challenges him to a one-on-one battle? That really pisses me off. Movie's over. Wait...what? A new clip showing Mystique kicking the living hell out of the government? Thanks a lot, Sony. I smell a lawsuit between both Sony and Fox because both are Marvel films (outside of Disney's intellectual respects), but they have no business revealing the new teaser for Days of Future Past. If they need to make a third Amazing Spider-Man movie, they need to tone down the action a little along with Peter Parker's ongoing chemistry with Gwen, try to add Green Goblin or Mary Jane and don't even try to rush the characters into a walking recycled douche, and keep the movie an hour and a half because I'm still reeling right now and still angry. I would write an angry letter to Sony and hopefully they should add the extended cut of the movie on Blu-Ray. Not this moment, but probably during the Winter. When you see another superhero movie going to add another sequel in a few years, something is wrong. And that's why I have had enough of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Top down in every level, I should put this in the 10 Worst Superhero Movie Sequels next time.
  40. Sep 3, 2014
    One of the worst movies I have ever seen. The humor was lame and out of place. I forced myself to watch it until the end to make sure the terrible script would continue to the credits. It did.
  41. May 19, 2014
    garbage. one of the worst superhero movies yet and the worst spiderman yet. yes worse than spiderman 3. terrible script, acting, and plot holes all over the place. the worst and most insulting part is ending the movie mid fight exactly like the trailer!!! what a joke!!! Who should see this movie? Anyone under 12 might like it. Anyone older stick to better franchise like marvels movies or x-men. Expand
  42. May 2, 2014
    Batman is a man and Superman is a man but as portrayed by Andrew Garfield in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" he is more of a boy who could be graduationg from from high school instead of collage. Emma Stone, younger than Garfield in real life, looks and acts more mature and is certainly prettier than Garfield!
    There are a few villains in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2", one or two too many, just as
    there are too much of everything from web flying to electric charges via Jamie Foxx as Electro to a high police car count of crashes and shootings..
    As any super hero movie these days special effects are over done as is glass breaking and the running time.Just cutting back all the hugs Dane DeHaan gives Garfield would shorten the movie.Also we are all of a sudden in the world of Transformers with Paul Giamatti as a mechanical rhino!
    This is not one of the better super hero movies and at 2 hours and 22 minutes is way too long
  43. Aug 6, 2014
    I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the first. I didn't understand why a reboot, just 10 years after the first in Sam Raimi's trilogy, was needed. And with the origin story told so closely to it's predecessor I was underwhelmed, but it had some entertainment value and quality stars. AS2 was just painful to watch. It starts out cartoonish and silly and never really breaks free of that. Maybe they were trying to put more lighthearted fun in the mix, but I couldn't stop thinking of some of the later years batman films. Spidey senses are not tingling... Expand
  44. May 10, 2014
    I think when you review a movie like this you have to juxtapose it against the other big movies in the genre. And even set against the other big blockbuster superhero movies such as Capt. America and Thor the amazing Spiderman two is simply crap. The actors are terrible there seems to be nothing at stake and about a half hour after I left the theater I had forgotten almost all of it.
  45. Jun 12, 2014
    Crap . horrible . ilogical . zzzzzzzzzz sleeping , boring . heroe tonto . crap crap crap crap crap, dont pay $ to see this movie. boooooooring . buuuuuuu
  46. May 20, 2014
    This movie had nice special effects and an entertaining soundtrack but the story was lacking. It had several parts that didn't really connect with each other but it really apart with the ending; it was a pitiful and unnecessary, the death served no purpose to the story other than allowing spiderman to continue on unhindered.
  47. Sep 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Im really disappointed by this Movie. Its 80% Teen romance, 10% Spiderman storytelling and 10% scenes of Spiderman fighting the bad guys. Very much blabla about their feelings and the relationship of Peter to his girlfriend. It is clear they tried to get more girls into this movie, but for guys just looking for some action and superheroes fighting evil villains, this is the wrong movie. Sometimes i thought this is how people had felt when their girlfriend forced them to go to watch twilight with them. The trailers told a cool story with epic fights against the Goblin, Rhino and Electro. SPOILER : there are two good fights against Electro, but Rhino and the Goblin are only shown at the end of the movie for about 5 minutes. The Goblin got a short fight of ~4min and then the Rhino comes in, just as cannonfodder, getting beaten by spiderman in about 1minute. This is all action in this movie. One fight against electro in the middle of the movie, and then the final with Electro->Goblin->Rhino. I cant recommend this movie. Expand
  48. May 24, 2014
    OK this is sort of a rant and review so bare with me. Amazing Spiderman 2 is amazingly **** I liked all Spider man movies, yes even Spider man 3 I found somewhat enjoyable, before this one came out. So being a HUGE Spider man fan, I was disappointed. This whole movie, it felt like no one but Jamie Foxx gave a **** The performances felt stiff and bland. The score is one of the worst I ever heard. Especially Electro's theme, which is dubstep. I don' hate dubstep, I actually kinda like it, but this is so bland and generic. Also, the trailers for this movie spoiled everything. Those saying this movie stays truthful to the comics are not right. The only two common things are the web singers, and Gwen Stacy. I'm not going any further as that is spoiling it, as if the trailer hasn't done so already. Also rhino is in the movie for around 10 minutes. Sony, you do realize that some people came to the movie, just to see rhino. And oh my god the end shot of the movie, is in the trailer. I would say more but that is spoilers. This is the worst Spider man movie out there. Expand
  49. May 23, 2014
    The movie was just convoluted and all over the place. The script should have only focused on one story arc and not try to to add one plot after another. The special effect was nothing spectacular. Overall it lacked story development, dialogue was flawed and cinematography was perplexing.
  50. Jul 27, 2014
    Too tacky, over the top and way too much use of special effects and slow motion with bad one liners and clichés. Too much is going on and the movie felt pretty pointless yet quite entertaining. Very "americanized" all over.

Genre could be: Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Drama, Romance, Comedy. I'm not overly satisfied with the movie.
  51. Jun 5, 2014
    In my opinion, no reboots of Spider-Man can compare to that of the original Spider-Man trilogy with Tobey Maguire. Sure, this film has its moments, but I still don't like it.
  52. Jul 19, 2014
    Ohhh Andy Garfield, the kitty cat actor. Watch him look left, watch him look right....watch him nudge your hand with his wittle nooooose.

What a bad movie, on all levels. From the over-romanticized love angle that felt like some ultra-cheesy MTV affair, to the really bad "villains". Their motivations were a joke, Green Goblin looked like a geriatric guy with gum disease, and
    Rhino....Oooooohhh that Rhino.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but even Raimi's Spider-Man 3 was easier to watch. He at least had the roles filled out better, Chris Cooper as Norman Osborn....LOL!!
  53. Aug 16, 2014
    The acting was really bad and there was no action.The only good actor in the movie was Jamie Foxx and he was not at his best.Visually amazing,the movie just failed at being good.
  54. May 16, 2014
    Don't get me wrong the graphics and the way editing technology has been used for this movie is great but the movie JUST BORED ME. I know the views have been mostly positive but the movie seemed to drag on for too long, also the end scene with the rhino fight I fought was the WORST CLIFFHANGER ever even though they show that scene in the trailer I find that element misleading. The trailer looked amazing so I went to go and watch the movie but I was too disappointed and considering leaving at many points of the film. I have to say this is the worst Spiderman movie made so far I think although this is MY OPINION. Many of my friends have said they enjoyed it but I just could not see why. I would not recommend this movie a waste of time and money. Expand
  55. DCS
    May 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like Spider-Man, just not this one. To open the movie with a villain ramming and running over cars, which would cause death and destruction to their drivers, Our "Hero" cracks jokes and does very little to actually stop the vehicle. Aquick webbing of the driver would have saved lives. However the director thought we needed EXCESSIVE comic relief. The COMIC relief never stops. The body language of the "Hero" is just goofy. I will never get the image of the "Hero" walking around out of my mind. When he does all I can see is a CLOWN walking around in swim fins. Another point to be made is how to continuously make a kiss shared by a couple, that is so in love, look awkward. They are a couple in REAL LIFE, they know how to kiss. By the end of the movie I just wanted him to go away and villainy to win. I am sad for Stan Lee and what Sony has done. Be Strong Stan Lee, someone will save the image of Spider-Man and make him a believable hero again. Expand
  56. May 29, 2014
    Just horrible, every single thing of this movie makes no sense, there's too many things happening, too many sub-plots, there's no motivation for the villains. Just horrible, save your time and go watch the Raimi's films.
  57. Aug 31, 2014
    The critics are not far off with this movie. The sequel to the reboot "The Amazing Spider-Man" is a messy film. The script is all over the place, and we are introduced to characters who we are supposed to sympathize with but they are never given the screen time or development to grow, Andrew Garfield is a "meh" Peter Parker, and as the story progresses it gets more predictable and many dumb scenes later all the excitement just turns to bore and you just want it to end. Expand
  58. Jul 26, 2014
    Long time fan of Spider-man, as a kid I only bought Spider-man, Transformers and Mask comics. I enjoyed the three Raimi films, third one perhaps not so much.

I'm not quite why there's all these high scores for this film? I'm all for everyone having their own opinions and so on, but this film is a turkey. I've given it a 4 for some great special effects, however the rest of the film has
    issues. The script is horrible, I can't take to Garfield as Peter Parker I actually find his Peter to be irritating. The story is all so inconsistent too, he saves Jamie Foxx's character but not the driver of the taxi or the drivers of the vehicles being hit, crushed or destroyed. We're only in in the first what ten minutes here. The pacing is way off, I actually turned it off just after Harry's change as I was so bored. It felt like I'd been watching for hours, my wife even went to bed about 30 minutes in. Actually I haven't wrote a review of the first "Amazing Spider-man" but if I did I would repeat myself quite a bit!

Must do better, really need to get all Marvel characters back under one movie making roof.
  59. Aug 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Once there was a great superhero named Spider-Man. In 2002 he got his first taste of the big screen with Sam Raimi and Sony Pictures Entertainment working together to create one of the most popular superhero movies of the 21st century. Following that we had 2 sequels, one of which was also critically acclaimed and the other not so much. Shortly after the 3rd film's released it was announced that 'Spider-Man 4' was in development, but was cancelled a couple of years later due to disagreements between Raimi and Sony. In 2012 we got a lacklustre, lazy and dull "reboot" of the franchise known as 'The Amazing Spider-Man' directed by Marc Webb and despite being the lowest-grossing movie of this series, it was still fairly-well received and thus a sequel was commissioned so now here we are with 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2'. I'm going to be blunt and logical here: this could very well be one of the worst superhero movies ever made, on par with the likes of 'Batman And Robin'. Some may think that's going a bit too far, but trust me, it isn't. For starters, there's practically no plot in this movie. What this film is is basically a 150 minute advertisement for Sony products, Spider-Man toys and accessories and future movies and spin-offs. The "sub-plots" (sorry I can't say that with a straight face) in this movie consist of Max Dillon becoming Electro, which happens in the space of 5 seconds so you don't get to see his full transition, Oscorp overthrowing Harry Osborn after his father's death, Peter Parker breaking up with Gwen Stacy (only to get back with her at the end of the movie just so they can make her death more tragic), Peter Parker finding out about the mystery of his parents and Harry Osborn becoming the Green Goblin because he has some disease that his father has. So right off the bat, there's no straightforward plot here. Hell these events aren't even enough to be considered "sub-plots" because they don't all tie together in the end for one final battle or... anything! Nothing is given anywhere near enough time to get fleshed out so that this movie can deliver a decent story. The movie just reeks of lazy writing. All two- sorry three of our villains are given no motivation and Rhino only shows up as a human criminal at the start of the movie for like five minutes only to bugger off and disappear until the last two minutes just so he can do a rampage in the style of the Rhinozord from 'Power Rangers' to make for a pretty lame cliffhanger. As well as this, Harry Osborn isn't given anywhere near enough screen time to become the villain because unlike the Raimi Trilogy and the comics, he only gets one movie's worth of screen time as oppose to two movies' worth of build-up (or tonnes of comics' worth depending on what perspective you're coming from). While the actors are really trying their best with what they have, the script literally gives them nothing to work with. Character motivations are blatantly non-existent, Peter Parker's identity keeps changing from douche-bag to idiot back to douche-bag again and repeat and Gwen Stacy is literally only in the movie to show how little the writers actually get about why she's an important character.

Overall, 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' is a spit in the face straight from Marc Webb and Sony to Spider-Man fans. It doesn't exist to do any good. Not to tell a good story, not to pretend it's a good movie and not to entertain fans of the franchise. It only exists to make money and that's it. I give it 1/10 and for good reason. It's an insult to spidey fans and superhero fans alike.
  60. Aug 20, 2014
    I have a question why did you kill Gwen at the end of the movie. And why didn't you kill harry at the and why so you can keep him alive for the next spider-man.
  61. Aug 30, 2014
    This movie sucked. I actually laughed at the idiocy of most of it and fast forwarded the other bits. Tragic is an understatement. Did 17 year olds write the script? Please say yes.

Bloated and often boring and has absolutely no reason to exist, but that it also hits its marks. No fanboy will pass it up. No studio head will lose his or her job.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 1, 2014
    The movie feels not only calculated but tired.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    May 1, 2014
    ASM 2 makes too many of the same mistakes that have brought other superhero movies low (including Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3"). It tries to pack in too many characters and plot lines, for one.