Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: May 4, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 3444 Ratings
2,828
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeJan 4, 2016
Marvel's superhero team named the Avengers has came to the movies 3 years ago. Even now, it's still a fun blast during the entire movie. Maybe close or far enough to a 10, I gave it a 9.
TVJerryMay 9, 2012
When the world is threatened with domination from beyond, a slew of Marvel superheroes (Iron Man, Hulk, Capt. America, Thor and more) is brought together to save the day. Before that can happen, we get some internal conflict and snappyWhen the world is threatened with domination from beyond, a slew of Marvel superheroes (Iron Man, Hulk, Capt. America, Thor and more) is brought together to save the day. Before that can happen, we get some internal conflict and snappy dialogue by writer/director Joss Whedon. Finally, comes the big, noisy, kinda silly showdown: implausible on so many levels. Luckily, the cast is full of quality actors, so most of the interaction works. This is a classic big-budget summer flick with spectacular scenarios and flashy effects. Not the best, but not the worst. NOTE: There are 2 post-credit scenes, so stay till the end for your money's worth. Expand
TheQuietGamerDec 28, 2012
After dozens of teasers hidden in each of the heroes individual movies The Avengers is finally here, and it doesn't disappoint. It's filled with draw dropping action, and some hilarious moments. Every superhero is excellently fleshed out andAfter dozens of teasers hidden in each of the heroes individual movies The Avengers is finally here, and it doesn't disappoint. It's filled with draw dropping action, and some hilarious moments. Every superhero is excellently fleshed out and work well together, and no hero receives more attention than another. It excellently captures the feel of each individual hero as well as show some new sides of their personalities. The Avengers is everything I wanted it to be, and I don't see how it could have turned out any better. It's one of the best superhero movies of all time. Expand
MovieGuysSep 20, 2013
For the most part, the Avengers was solid, and it kept me entertained; which is the sole purpose, right? The star-studded cast was all there, ready to make a great action movie. Some parts even made me laugh, more than I expected. I likeFor the most part, the Avengers was solid, and it kept me entertained; which is the sole purpose, right? The star-studded cast was all there, ready to make a great action movie. Some parts even made me laugh, more than I expected. I like Colbie Smulders, who played Agent Maria Hill, since she plays Robin on How I Met Your Mother. But, I think we all have to admit, she didn't only get the part for her amazing acting talents. We all know she 's pretty. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
A glowing example of what action movies should be like - a perfect blend of intelligence and thrills.
beingryanjudeAug 31, 2014
With Joss Whedon at the helm, I expected much more. To bring all of The Avengers together in a single film is no easy task; nevertheless, I cannot help but feel as though it could've been better executed.
BrianMcCriticMar 17, 2013
An exciting thrill ride from start to finish. This is exactly what you expect in a summer block buster. It's not easy to take this many superheroes and keep all the characters relevant that's a credit to Joss Whedon.
csw12Jan 5, 2013
The Avengers is shockingly phony, corny and cheesy. The movie is extremely clumsy with too many characters with all their personal backgrounds. The story and movie completely fall apart wth the lack of chemistry between any of the superheros.The Avengers is shockingly phony, corny and cheesy. The movie is extremely clumsy with too many characters with all their personal backgrounds. The story and movie completely fall apart wth the lack of chemistry between any of the superheros. An action spectacle wth very little to show for. Expand
grandpajoe6191May 27, 2012
I think this was my very first movie I watched in 2012 and I gotta say, I liked it. My initial concerns were about how the movie would live up to this enormous hype it had already built up and how Joss Whedon, a director I have never evenI think this was my very first movie I watched in 2012 and I gotta say, I liked it. My initial concerns were about how the movie would live up to this enormous hype it had already built up and how Joss Whedon, a director I have never even heard of, would develop the personalities of multiple characters the movie has. Surprisingly enough, he exceeded my expectations in a good way. The story and dialogue was created with full blown Hollywood style treatment, but it was witty, enjoyable, and had a solid point. The character development was also strong, something that most directors cannot handle due to the fact that making 7 superheroes individually stand out is pretty difficult. But hey, Joss Whedon did it, so I give huge credit and respect for it. Anyways, long words short, in my opinion this was a good summer blockbuster, keeping constant of it's premise and living up to the hype. Recommended watching. Expand
Tss5078Jun 16, 2013
In the decade it's taken to bring everything together, we've continually been promised that the Avengers would be the superhero movie to change all superhero movies and it's a damn good thing, because I really hate superhero movies. ThreeIn the decade it's taken to bring everything together, we've continually been promised that the Avengers would be the superhero movie to change all superhero movies and it's a damn good thing, because I really hate superhero movies. Three things made this film standout and shine over the many, many superhero films that have been released. The most obvious thing is the huge, superstar, cast. Not only is it incredibly difficult to bring a cast like this together, but to get them to work together, without getting in each others way must have been nearly impossible. Second, even though the film involves superheroes and outer space, it seems somewhat realistic to us. These heroes have families, personalities, feelings, people get hurt, and some people even die, letting us see the human side of these characters. Finally, the Direction of Joss Whedon brings it all together. Whedon has always had this unique ability to put his own style on spin on things, at first it seems strange, but ultimately we come to love it. He is such an underrated Director, who brings so much to everything he's a part of, and it's great to see him get to do a huge project like this. The Avengers was special, not only because it took a decade to make, but because if you saw all the individual movies first, like I did, you feel a connection to these guys, it's almost like you know them personally and you expect them to act in certain ways when they all come together. The individual films really built up the excitement and helped the Avengers to become a billion dollar earner at the box office. From the performances to the special effects this was once exciting, terrific movie, and may be as close to perfect as a superhero movie will ever get. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 5, 2012
Whedon's Avengers is very entertaining. The dialogue is snappy when present, and the visual effects are great, but in the end, sensation trumps feeling.
imthenoobAug 28, 2012
The intro is a little rough but the rest of the movie goes rather smoothly and it ends up a pretty good film and one that is definently worth watching. I enjoyed it.
TokyochuchuMay 5, 2012
The Avengers is a fantastically exciting superhero extravaganza. The movie nails all of it's components right. The dialogue fizzes with pithy putdowns and roaring comebacks, the characters are all well defined (even the likes of new-comersThe Avengers is a fantastically exciting superhero extravaganza. The movie nails all of it's components right. The dialogue fizzes with pithy putdowns and roaring comebacks, the characters are all well defined (even the likes of new-comers Black Widow and Hawkeye) and the action scenes are exciting and easy to follow. Put simply, The Avengers is one of the funniest, most exciting comic book movies ever made. Expand
marcmyworksNov 13, 2013
Probably one of the finest Marvel movies released (behind the first Iron Man of course). Joss Whedon's ability to bring several characters into one picture truly translates well.
CineAutoctonoDec 2, 2015
The Avengers is the great superhero movie I've ever seen , seeing Nick Fury gathered the best Marvel superheroes , and see that quarry was removed , Iron Man , Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye , Hulk and of course , go movie eh !.
MarcDoyleMay 5, 2012
In the context of the debate over the A.O. Scott review of this film, clearly comic book movies can be done extremely well and are worth of the highest praise. The best in the genre include Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and the original IronIn the context of the debate over the A.O. Scott review of this film, clearly comic book movies can be done extremely well and are worth of the highest praise. The best in the genre include Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and the original Iron Man. All are highly entertaining and evocative films. What strikes me about The Avengers, now a couple of hours after seeing it, is that the personalities of each of the superheroes truly come out over the course of the film, which is essential in elevating them above plastic or wooden action figures, and I didn't think it would be possible, despite Whedon's involvement. Even Scarlett J's Black Widow is terrific - and I'm very much not a fan of her other work. Beyond the strong personalities, there are actually some truly funny laugh lines in the movie, which isn't always the case in this genre. The "big" action sequences toward the end of the film are better than your average comic book movie money scenes - and they're certain better than anything in the Transformers films - but I still found myself getting a little bored amidst the mayhem. Finally, its great seeing Cobie Smulders as Sam Jackson's right hand woman in the command center. She's got a future in action films if she wants it. Expand
ZilcellJun 11, 2012
The action is almost as hardcore as Transformers and the story just as good as Iron Man. Its an unforgettably fun comic book film. You simply can't go wrong with 6 heros for the price of one.
lasttimeisawJun 2, 2012
Harboring a great deal of expectation of this record-breaking multi-superhero-in-a-row action mash-up, I finally caught up the last chance to watch it on the big screen, but unfortunately the film has indomitably become my very firstHarboring a great deal of expectation of this record-breaking multi-superhero-in-a-row action mash-up, I finally caught up the last chance to watch it on the big screen, but unfortunately the film has indomitably become my very first disappointment in 2012. Alerted by the general opinion of â Expand
JacobMay 5, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Avengers is perhaps one of the most anticipated superhero movies ever made. It has been in production since Iron Man (2008). Each one of the Avengers has had a great first movie. Now after four years of build up the Avengers movie is finally here and being a fan of the previous films, except for Iron Man 2 (2010), I decided to go and see it. While the Avengers is fast, fun, and exciting some unnecessarily long action scenes prevent the movie from being great.

The movie opens up with Loki, the villain from Thor (2011), coming to earth and stealing the Tesaracht, brainwashing some guys including Mr. arrow shooter. Afterwards, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) decides that in order to stop Lokiâ
FranzHcriticAug 24, 2013
Enough action to go with the plot, which is remarkably sensible and it's pacing get's to the main point quickly. The depth of each characters personalities (especially those of Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr.) interrelate to create thisEnough action to go with the plot, which is remarkably sensible and it's pacing get's to the main point quickly. The depth of each characters personalities (especially those of Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr.) interrelate to create this energetic tone to the film. It's and eye popping extravaganza. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
I've seen this movie four time by now, so I think it is time for some kind of review. (One of said viewings was in 3D, my first ever, and I must say I much more prefer the old-fashioned 2D version since 3D made the action scenes - especiallyI've seen this movie four time by now, so I think it is time for some kind of review. (One of said viewings was in 3D, my first ever, and I must say I much more prefer the old-fashioned 2D version since 3D made the action scenes - especially the Hulk - appear very blurry and threatened to give me a bit of a headache.

As a fan of the previous Marvel movies, the last of which I checked out in order to enjoy the Avengers experience to the fullest (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America), I appreciated the finer points of story telling and jokes that took a lot from the other parts in the series. There were plenty of references, I think, and I cannot imagine how well some of the jokes land or character chemistries work without prior knowledge of what they're based on.

I haven't read the comics (although I fully intend to get my hands on them somehow), so I cannot say how "accurate" this was (or any of the previous films), but all I can say is that the cast chosen to play this unruly team of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is fantastic. I'm a Tony Stark fangirl, no denying it, but damn! the others really don't make me yawn with boredom and wait for Robert Downey Jr.'s next appearance on screen: they stand very well on their own. Period.

And Mark Ruffalo IS the Hulk. Period on that too. Watching him twist his hands and smile and try to back away into the shadows is adorable and in a way breath-taking in its own way, because we all know what's lurking inside him, and it's almost a shame when he turns into a green rage monster. Almost...

Perhaps the best feature to the movie is indeed the strife between the heroes, who are not compatible in the slightest, but as heroes tend to, they work together pretty well to avert a crisis when they face one together. Still, the classic fights between team-mates almost beat seeing them destroy a few (hundred) enemies.

The camera work, set design, lighting and colors are all perfect. They create a world, a very real one, and give it its own signature. The music, too, when you notice it, melts perfectly to the background, other than in those moments when it rises higher, giving the scene more depth, more kick.

Tom Hiddleston as Loki is, for a lack of a better word, a bit disturbed, but executes his part as a villain pretty well. He's determined, and he is one step ahead of the team the whole time, although the petulant child is peeking out from between his teeth every now and then, waiting to be allowed to throw a temper tantrum. And it works.

The story progresses nicely, weaving the heroes together (the only small minus is Thor's rather sudden appearance, and although we can see where it's coming from, and dragging it out may have not worked very well, it still seems like a shortcut).

There's plenty of humor, for which I love Joss Whedon; this reminds me a lot of his movie "Serenity", with its pace and light-heartedness, but total seriousness as well. It's a fine balance, and it absolutely works.

All in all... this is fast rising to be one of those movies I wouldn't mind seeing several times a year, or perhaps a month, just to keep the smiles and laughs coming.
heyitsmegrif4May 19, 2012
Absolutely brilliant! The Avengers brings depth to the Marvel characters, provides loads of laughs, great action, unbelievably stunning visual effects, and fantastic performances from the whole cast. I give this 100% of a good movie.
worleyjamersDec 5, 2012
I loved this movie! I saw it 3 times in theaters and I'm not ashamed to admit that. The reason I liked this film so much was because it was everything it could and should have been; for a blockbuster, that's a mighty accomplishment...(FullI loved this movie! I saw it 3 times in theaters and I'm not ashamed to admit that. The reason I liked this film so much was because it was everything it could and should have been; for a blockbuster, that's a mighty accomplishment...(Full Review Later)... Expand
TheApplegnomeJul 30, 2014
The Avengers is an fantastic movie with great amount action and a wonderful story, and I'm especially amazed by the music and the special effects!

Another thing that's great about The Avengers is the opening scene, which truly is exiting and thrilling. I found this movie highly entertaining, because it's so damn good and unique, and it's packed with great actors and the movie overall is cool and touching. The negative thing about The Avengers is that the tempo is a little to slow at some places, but also that there are some scenes that's not so original, because some scenes looks like they might have taken from other movies (like Transformers). But except for that is The Avengers truly fascinating!

An amazing film from Marvel, but with to much slow scenes (and boring conversations).

The Avengers gets a 8.7/10
StevenFJan 9, 2013
I hate starting off a good review with a rant, but really? Comparing this movie to Transformers? Only league where this was the same as Transformers were the groundbreaking special effects, simple as that.
Director Joss Whedon has created a
Director Joss Whedon has created a film that has a mixture of all of our favourite fanboy fantasies, a near-perfect script in which the title characters, particularly (and as usual) Robert Downey Jr, i mean, who else but Whedon's dark yet comical understanding of the genre and Downey Jr's witty delivery could get away with labelling Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth) as "Point Break" or calling Clint 'Hawkeye' Barton (Jeremy Renner) Legolas? Simple little bows to other genres captivate this into a gloriously fresh and surprisingly funny film, and a wonderful beginning to more Avengers.
The excellently diverse Tom Hiddlestone reprises his role as Thor's brother, Loki, who attempts to capture the Tesseract, which first appeared in Captain America (again played by Chris Evans).
What differentiates this ensemble film from the rest? Well for starters, all our superheroes are on the same screen, Joss Whedon is clearly not afraid to lend screen time to develop other stories, particularly Renner's Hawkeye and the return of Scarlett Johansson's delectably dangerous Black Widow. We also see the return of the most fearsome, yet difficult hero of them all, the one we have yet to see a favourable film about, Hulk. Taking over from Ed Norton,we see Mark Ruffalo taking the reigns, and quite honestly the dialogue between him and Downey Jr is not to be missed or forgotten. The interactions between all characters is unmissable. Phil Coulson returns and his as deadpan hilarious as ever, lining himself to play a pivotal role in the film.
what please me the most watching the Avengers was how Whedon has expertly divided the screen time between all our heroes, while still maintaining a thriving story and not leaving the human characters out in the cold.
The battle of Manhattan is stunning to watch,whether it was witnessing Iron Man bounce rays off Cap's shield to defeat enemies, Thor and Hulk teaming to fight the alien race or Black Widow and Hawkeye nitpicking with their respective skills, each member had a part to play, but it was indeed Ruffalo's Hulk who stole the show, his humorous 'other guy' stance regarding the Hulk, his nervous yet accepting persona and of course his dialogue with Tony Stark was just excellent. This was smart, sophisticated, funny, pop cultured and fun, everything Transformers wasn't. As my current re-watch favourite, this is easily the best superhero movie in a long while, suit up, grab your shield, hammer, and turn green, then watch, watch and watch again.
Bruce722May 30, 2013
I'm not gonna lie, this movie was absolutely amazing! Also, if I'm being completely honest, I went in assuming it would be another highly overrated superhero movie that couldn't like up to the hype. It definitely wouldn't be the first time II'm not gonna lie, this movie was absolutely amazing! Also, if I'm being completely honest, I went in assuming it would be another highly overrated superhero movie that couldn't like up to the hype. It definitely wouldn't be the first time I disagreed with the critics. Boy was I mistaken. Outside of the films from Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, this is easily the best superhero movie ever made. They plot developed perfectly, the action sequences were incredible, there were a lot of unexpectedly humorous scenes and dialogue, and the characters and actors were all great. One of my concerns going in was how they would possibly give each character their fair shake. Well the great Joss Whedon did a great job keeping a perfect balance between staying true to the individual characters while further introducing a developing Black Widow and Hawkeye. Another thing, Mark Ruffalo did a marvelous job as Bruce Banner. A lot of people were worried about him in that role and were upset about the change from Edward Norton. Maybe it's because I'm biased and loathe Norton but I thought Ruffalo did a better job as Banner. I wouldn't have minded them focusing a little more time on the Hawkeye character and I wouldn't have minded if they actually squeezed in Natalie Portman's character for a quick scene or two but the movie really didn't need it. I just think if you can put Portman on screen, you put Portman on screen, lol. I also wouldn't have minded if they focused a bit more on the villainous pawns and where they come from but I have a feeling we'll find out more about them in the following Avengers sequels so I can't be too upset about that. All in all, if you like superhero movies, action movies, or just kick ass movies in general, you should like this movie too. Expand
HalfwelshmanJun 15, 2012
It's finally arrived - the blockbuster to end all blockbusters. So, is it any good? In short, yes it is. Over the last four years, Marvel has delivered a series of mostly underwhelming origin films that seemed to spend as much time setting upIt's finally arrived - the blockbuster to end all blockbusters. So, is it any good? In short, yes it is. Over the last four years, Marvel has delivered a series of mostly underwhelming origin films that seemed to spend as much time setting up The Avengers as they did introducing the hero on the poster. Incredibly, Mr Whedon has managed to bring together all the Marvel big-hitters, played by some seriously big personalities, and somehow make it work as one film, with every character equally serviced and their place amongst this all-star roster well-earned. The highlight of the impressive cast is definitely Mark Ruffalo, playing the latest incarnation of Bruce Banner/The Hulk (though he's the first actor to truly play both sides of the character with the assistance of motion-capture). Whedon appears to truly understand the character, and Ruffalo is able to effectively communicate to the viewer through a sensitive and understated performance the extreme fear, paranoia and depression of Bruce Banner, and by really letting rip in his mo-cap suit he demonstrates the volatility and terrifying power of "the other guy". Robert Downey, Jr.'s wisecracking playboy Tony Stark/Iron Man continues to entertain, and Whedon gives Downey the very best lines in the film - my personal favourite being when Stark is trying to reign in the furious new arrival Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and mocks his flowing red cloak with "doth your mother know you weareth her drapes?". Scarlett Johansson also easily manages to hold her own in a largely testosterone-fuelled cast, and manages to develop Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow from the stereotypical sexy femme fatale we saw in Iron Man 2 to a fully-rounded, deadly and viciously intelligent character tormented by her violent past that we see here. The final act shows the true potential of a modern big-budget superhero film; with the six heroes working together to defend Manhattan from an alien invasion lead by the increasingly manic tyrannical Asgardian exile Loki (Tom Hiddleston). In one particularly slick and visually eye-popping moment the camera snakes its way through the city and in one unbroken shot takes in each of the Avengers in turn working as a team to repel the invaders. The most rewarding and enjoyable moments for me, however, were on a far smaller scale and from much earlier in the film. In one particularly fine scene from the first act, Black Widow travels to Calcutta to persuade reclusive Bruce Banner to join SHIELD forces as a consultant on gamma radiation, and the on-edge scientist feigns a transformation into his greener side to test Romanoff's true intentions. I also loved Black Widow's interrogation of Loki later in the film - the scene gives Johansson and Hiddleston plenty of room to play off each other and it's intelligently scripted, brilliantly tense and beautifully performed by the actors, resulting in an incredibly revealing moment for both of their characters. The Avengers is exactly what a great blockbuster should be - grounded enough to be relevant and dramatically effective in the contemporary world (with references to worldwide energy shortages, WMDs and the terrifying future of warfare) but also fantastical enough to be fun, and to provide a level of escapism for the audience (it is about a group of very special guys and gals in funny costumes fighting aliens, after all!). I must admit, the film does lose momentum a couple of times, and there are some incredibly convenient plot devices employed firstly to get the heroes together, and secondly to tie things up towards the end, but you can't really hold these minor gripes against a filmmaker like Joss Whedon. This is a man who has achieved the impossible in making Marvel's crowning glory worthy of the time and effort dedicated to laying its groundwork over the last half-decade, and with the addition of his trademark playful sense of humour, the film doesn't look like it's taking itself too seriously, which could have been fatal. Awesome is a criminally misapplied adjective in this day and age, but there really is no better way to describe this super-powered extravaganza. Unless Hulktastic is a word, that is. Expand
BikerjamesMay 16, 2012
I don't get all the hoopla over this film. In the end, it was yet another superhero movie with the same predictable storyline. It does have great special effects, good action (although a very shaky camera during the action sequences), andI don't get all the hoopla over this film. In the end, it was yet another superhero movie with the same predictable storyline. It does have great special effects, good action (although a very shaky camera during the action sequences), and good 3D. They were smart to feature Iron Man more than the others as he is by far the most interesting of the Super Heroes. I have to say though, that it gets old that these heroes keep getting beaten to a pulp, then they get up without a scratch on them like a cartoon character. Ridiculous. I also thought that the Hulk was not supposed to be lucid when he was in his hulk state, yet at the end of the film he is calm and even says a few words while being a Hulk. I did look at my watch a couple of times and for me the 2 1/2 hours was excessive, but it was just good, not great. Expand
homer4presidentMar 11, 2015
The Avengers is easily one of the best films I've seen in the past few years. I saw it with my friends for the midnight premiere and it was a total blast from start to finish. Joss Whedon really pulled out all the stops when it came toThe Avengers is easily one of the best films I've seen in the past few years. I saw it with my friends for the midnight premiere and it was a total blast from start to finish. Joss Whedon really pulled out all the stops when it came to directing a movie as big as this, and it shows. The entire ensemble cast was pitch-perfect, the action sequences were incredibly immersive and highly entertaining, and the dialogue was absolutely hilarious when it needed to be. I also loved the interactions between every one of the characters. Seeing them meet each other for the first time was both amazingly surreal and surprisingly realistic. Nearly everything from the score to the special effects to the comic timing just felt right. The Avengers is quite simply an experience that everyone should see. It just goes to show that Marvel is really stepping up their game, both commercially and creatively. Can't wait for the sequel! Expand
Rox22Jan 24, 2013
It is the closest to perfection a comic book movie adaptation can get. I really can not say too much else. I found almost nothing wrong with it, however, I do feel they could have gotten a more prominent Villain. Loki was convincing and aIt is the closest to perfection a comic book movie adaptation can get. I really can not say too much else. I found almost nothing wrong with it, however, I do feel they could have gotten a more prominent Villain. Loki was convincing and a worthy foe, but it just felt like they could have gone up against someone more sinister than an Asgardian with daddy issues. Still, a fantastic film that I can watch over and over. How on earth did Cobie Smulders get cast in this movie? Quite the big leap from TV sitcom to ...... this. There's nothing wrong with her, I was just pleasantly surprised. Expand
diogomendesNov 16, 2014
Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

So now it's time for The Avengers. But before we get to that, I got a few things to say. Ever since the beginning of this MCU "marathon", I've been planning to see other franchises. As I am a super-hero fanatic, I marked in my agenda and calendar franchises such as: X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman. Every movie of that franchise is going to be seen by me every Saturday, and when I'm not seeing those movies in Saturday, I'm going to see films that were released in 2014 that I haven't seen it. Which is the case here. I rewatched The Avengers yesterday (as I'm writing this on 9th November of 2014) and next Saturday, I'm going to see the video game adaption "Need for Speed". And then in the next Saturday after that, it's the Phase 2 of MCU. All these things I'm organizing is merely a way to be entertained when I have nothing else to do and it's going to last until next October of 2015. After seeing a movie, I'm going to write a review and post it on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic as "Diogo Mendes". If you're seeing this right now, you'll know what I am talking about. Now that I've cleared up that, it's time to talk about the best Marvel movie to date. "The Avengers", my friends, is one of the best Marvel outputs since Spider-Man 2. It not only raises the bar for Marvel at their films, but it also makes their heroes look even cooler than they already are. It's excting, it's funny, it's packed with action and heart and the movie clearly understands that super-heroes have a human side.

S.H.I.E.L.D. has located the mysterious Tesseract device and the Army's super soldier Captain America. The Tesseract is actually a gateway to an entirely new world called Asgard. A mysterious being known as Loki arrives on earth and immediately assumes that he can rule all human beings. But that irks S.H.I.E.L.D. directory Nick Fury the wrong way. As Loki escapes with the Tesseract, Nick Fury believes this is an act of war against Earth. His only hope is to assemble an actual team of super heroes. Dr. Bruce Banner, who turns into an enormous green rage monster known as the Hulk. Tony Stark and his venerable Iron Man armor. Captain America, the Stark Enterprises created super soldier. Thor, the god of thunder, protector of Earth and his home planet of Asgard, and Loki's brother. Master assassins Hawkeye and Natasha Romanoff. Together they will become a team to take on an attack that will call them to become the greatest of all time.

Ok, let's be honest right here. We all know that there wasn't any doubt that this movie would succeed. Not because it has Joss Whedon as the director and writer, but because having iconic, interesting super-heroes teaming up to defeat a larger threat is something we haven't seen it before, and Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, all these characters teaming up is really fun to see. The way that the movie focuses on these MARVELOUS characters is just extraordinary, and the character development... holy sh*t, the character development. The movie offers so much information about these super-heroes without feeling like an exposition. And the action... oh my god. I need to tell you that there's one part where the camera moves onto each Avenger fighting with the Chitauri, in ONE SINGLE SHOT. I'm not even kidding, if you see the movie, you'll be astonished. The final battle... is amazing. Don't get me wrong, the other elements of the movie are so great, really, really great, but the final battle... my god. 15 minutes of firefights, punches, emotion and nerdgasm. It doesn't reach the level of awesomeness of the train sequence in "Spider-Man 2" but this scene is so goddamn spectacular. The visual effects and the colors are startling. The one character that was used full CGI was, of course, The Hulk. Remember when I said that the Hulk from the 2008's film looked kind of cartoonish? Well, in this movie, he looks just what he should look like. And this classic character kicks so much ass in this movie, breaks everything in his sight. But you also can see that there's a heart in the character.

The characters are fully fleshed out and intriguing. Hell, even the Galaga guy is awesome, AND he's not even a character! Every character share their spotlight, delivering fun dialogue, essential information about their past. The villain is not as powerful as The Joker in "The Dark Knight", but Loki is so manipulative. You don't really know what's going on his head. And Thanos... oh my god. I'll admit. I didn't know anything about the character, I'm not a comic book kind of guy, but I enjoy reading some of them, especially when it's Spider-Man or Batman related. Thanos was a major character in The Infinity Gauntlet storyline back in the 90's. He was menacing and he was always grinning. I heard that they're following those series, but I'm wondering how they are going to follow those stories. Some of the characters belong to different studios. Very complicated. But getting back to Thanos, he's only in a mid-credits scene, so don't expect too much of him in this movie.

So I talked about the story, the big action set-pieces and the interesting characters, but something is missing... oh yeah, the cast! Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo, Nick Fury and all the others are so talented. Maybe that's why the characters work. It's because the well-chosen cast seems to have an understanding of what the characters are. Tony Stark is pretty much what we've got in both Iron Man films: Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. Steve Rogers is the lonely super-soldier, Bruce Banner is the angry man in his fight against his "disease" and Thor is the mighty god of Asgard, arrogant and stupid. All of them seem to understand their characters, that's why this movie is so likable. Not only the script offers a look at his heroes' humanity, but it also offers proper development. The soundtrack is also very exciting. And when I mean exciting... I really mean exciting. So when your movie has everything that you want, it instantly becomes your favorite movie, and although "Marvel's The Avengers" is definitely not the best movie ever made, it is the best super-hero movie to date. Why? Because it's a classic very well done! Even if the movie didn't have the best script ever, it would still be very good. Why? Because the whole concept works! This concept about heroes teaming up WORKS! And I am not even a fanboy.

Final Score to The Avengers: A solid 10/10. Literally, everything works here. The script is sharp, the action is pretty much top-notch, the characters are captivating and witty, the soundtrack is electrifying, the production values are high and the universe's atmosphere is becoming increasingly higher with Marvel now introducing new characters. You don't need awesome characters like Spider-Man or Wolverine to prove that this is the best Marvel movie to date. Marvel is on the roll and this nearly masterpiece proves that. Please, if you haven't seen this movie, go see it. I recommend it for every age. I also would like to point out that this movie clearly affected DC Comics in a big and dramatic way. In such way that they are rushing their famous characters and throwing years of mythology away. Now they're making a Batman Vs Superman movie to attract the audience and generate more and more money to their cash cow. I'm still going to see, and despite knowing that Chris Terrio is writing the story, I know I'm going to be disappointed. Unfortunately. Next review: Need for Speed (2014)
NerdConsultantDec 18, 2014
as much as it pains a fan who mostly prefers DC to Marvel I have to admit this is probably the greatest superhero movie ever made. it is very well acted and paced and has some of the best action sequences i've ever seen particularly theas much as it pains a fan who mostly prefers DC to Marvel I have to admit this is probably the greatest superhero movie ever made. it is very well acted and paced and has some of the best action sequences i've ever seen particularly the battle in new york the whole thing feels like a great event comic. this was well worth the build up here's hoping the sequel is just as good Expand
hoops2448Jul 17, 2012
With every superhero movie there has to be spectacle, its just a given. The fighting, the actors, everything has to be visually stunning. The problem with superhero movies is that a director (or even to an extent a writer) can get so wrappedWith every superhero movie there has to be spectacle, its just a given. The fighting, the actors, everything has to be visually stunning. The problem with superhero movies is that a director (or even to an extent a writer) can get so wrapped up in making the film surprising in its aesthetics that it fails to give the film the emotional resonance you can find all too easily in the comics these characters come from. Luckily for anyone thinking about going to see the Avengers (who are we kidding, most of you are) Joss Whedon (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Firefly/Serenity) understands the characters he is directing. He understands what makes them tick, why they fight, who they are as people and as heroes. The writing (by Whedon and Zak Penn) is equal parts powerful and hilarious allowing for levity in a story filled with impeding doom. The story isn't overly complicated to follow and the film never loses momentum (even at its gigantic run time of 2 hours and 25 minutes) keeping you entertained for the entire run. The reintroduction of the key cast members is well paced while introducing some much needed personality to characters that failed to receive any in their own origins movies (Captain America, I'm looking at you). Don't get me wrong, the movie isn't all talking. Over half of the film is action (as you would expect) but the action never feels shoehorned in like it did in Iron Man 2 or The Incredible Hulk. The incredible set pieces look fantastic thanks to some undeniably imaginative direction by Whedon who puts the 220 million dollar budget to good use with some incredibly clever shots, especially towards the end of the film. The film is smart, funny, beautiful and services every single Avenger, including some of the until now overlooked ones such as Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye (who up until this point has had literally one line in Thor) and Samuel L Jackson's Nick Fury. That being said, the characters you are going to go see the movie for are still the same dynamic leads you remember them to be from Robert Downey Jr's genius playboy Tony Stark to Chris Hemsworth's arrogant yet loveable Thor. It's not just the best superhero movie of the year (of which we can expect many like the new Spiderman and The Dark Knight Rises), its the best superhero movie ever, and this is coming from someone who thinks the world of Batman Begins. It's not only worth a watch, its worth several. However if you are going to go and see it, check out the cheaper and much more striking 2D version as the film is much brighter and undeniably more vivid. Enjoy. Expand
OfficialNov 4, 2013
I have been waiting a long time to see this movie. And I'm going to start off by saying that "The Avengers" is incredible. The action scenes are spectacularly exciting, with excellent use of visuals and CGI. One of my favorite scenes was whenI have been waiting a long time to see this movie. And I'm going to start off by saying that "The Avengers" is incredible. The action scenes are spectacularly exciting, with excellent use of visuals and CGI. One of my favorite scenes was when the camera spins around the superheroes because that was epic. This could well be one of the best summer blockbusters ever made. Expand
survivorfan989Jul 12, 2013
Avengers is a great superhero flick combining the efforts of a number of superhero films and putting the leading starts together. It's slow paced at times, and rather long, but this is definitely made up for when it comes to the ActionAvengers is a great superhero flick combining the efforts of a number of superhero films and putting the leading starts together. It's slow paced at times, and rather long, but this is definitely made up for when it comes to the Action scenes, in particular towards the end. I'm still not a big Iron Man fan but he's bareable in this, but everyone else is pretty likable and they all do a great job. Overall it's clearly one for the fans but I'm not a major superhero lover and I enjoyed it too! Expand
FuturedirectorApr 17, 2016
The Avengers unites the whole team of bests superheroes in all Marvel universe, for become them in something more..., something one-of-a-kind.p, finishing on an epic film full of action, comedy and terrific interpretations. It could have someThe Avengers unites the whole team of bests superheroes in all Marvel universe, for become them in something more..., something one-of-a-kind.p, finishing on an epic film full of action, comedy and terrific interpretations. It could have some kind of boring story-telling on the middle and some little bad aspects on the during parts. But it's a great movie with a good premise. Marvel fans will be very pleased with this film's result. Expand
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
Very good movie. Cannot go wrong that's for sure. I give it an 8 because the story simply is not as good as super hero movies like batman. The action is really good and the effects are awesome. Definitely worth seeing.
RikiegeDec 7, 2012
Awesome.
MegWhiteleyMay 4, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Epic! The Avengers is epic. The reason? The story can be simple, but the development is really awesome, have great elements of the comic. The characters have an awesome development, is interesting the things that Whedon do with all the cast, and now the cast, wow, is amazing, their performances are perfect, the better are Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man/Tony Stark, Mark Ruffalo as Hulk/Bruce Banner and Tom Hiddleston as Loki. The effects are amazing, in moments the movie is like Transformers, but no problem, becuase the effects (of Transformers) are amazing, and Michael Bay can watch some battle scenes of The Avengers for do a better movie. The soundtrack is really fantastic, and the score wow. The script is incredible, have much intelligent and funny moments, I love it. And the scene after the titles, OMG! Is epic. The Avengers is the best movie of 2012 (in this moment) I can't wait for The Avengers 2. This is the best of Marvel. Expand
oblique15Mar 30, 2013
Wow "HULK SMASH," his way in to give this movie a 10 easy! How could I give it anything else after watching the Hulk!? Is it even possible, nope not for me. This move is a must watch! I don`t know what anybody who does not like this movie wasWow "HULK SMASH," his way in to give this movie a 10 easy! How could I give it anything else after watching the Hulk!? Is it even possible, nope not for me. This move is a must watch! I don`t know what anybody who does not like this movie was expecting. Did you think this was "A Beautiful Mind" part two? At first I wondered how they would make all the heroes come together, but they did a great job with it. All the characters fit right in. The critics are crazy for not liking this, I don`t know why they even exist, everybody should have their own opinions on movies and everything in life. If you just listen to critics, or even friends you will miss out on allot of things you actually would like. Expand
MrMovieBuffMar 18, 2015
After the heights and experiencing seeing 'Iron Man' (2008), 'Iron Man 2' (2010), 'Thor' (2011) and 'Captain America: The First Avenger' (2011), you can imagine how much I wanted to see this movie.

I was not disappointed, pretty much

I was not disappointed, pretty much everything that was in this movie was pretty much all I expected to see and I'm happy with that.

'The Avengers' focuses on Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) trying to cope with Loki (Tom Hiddleston) taking the tesseract and using it against the world. Loki makes allies Eric Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) his two new muses. Fury decides that it's time to assemble some of earth's mightiest superheroes, The Avengers.

We see Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) reluctantly join as he thought that he could not qualify. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) joins because he is a World War II veteran, so his inner self says that he has to save the world. We also see Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) not hiding anymore after his little incidents.

We also see agents Natasha Romonoff (Scarlett Johansson) and Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) return and convince each of the guys to try and stop Loki.

Obviously after the events in 'Thor' (2011), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) returns as he still has unfinished business with his brother Loki and what he plans to do with the tesseract.

This movie moves at such an entertaining pace and I have been waiting years to finally see it, four years to be specific, since the release of 'Iron Man' (2008), all I wanted to see is four Marvel heroes unite in their ultimate movie. Seeing this movie in the cinema back in 2012 was an absolute treat.

The action is pretty much similar to the "Transformers" movies, but they are cleaner and have purpose and style, unlike the ones in the "Transformers" franchise where it's just a technological mess and they were gimmicks.

Director Joss Whedon ('Buffy The Vampire Slayer' and 'Firefly') clearly respects the Marvel comics enough to make a coherent story and visually appealing action. I absolutely cannot wait for the anticipated 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' (2015), after seeing this, the Marvel universe is truly something amazing.
KivaJun 19, 2013
The best action movie with superheroes. All the characters are well done and the plot is good. I liked the action scenes and i have to admit that i actually liked iron man and hulk in that film, who i don't really like them. Thumbs up for theThe best action movie with superheroes. All the characters are well done and the plot is good. I liked the action scenes and i have to admit that i actually liked iron man and hulk in that film, who i don't really like them. Thumbs up for the avengers.The effects are well done too Expand
BradySmithDec 16, 2013
The Avengers is definitely one extremely fun movie. It doesn't transcend the genre's storytelling limits like Nolan's Batman trilogy did, but the whole thing probably would have collapsed trying to do this anyways. Instead it smartlyThe Avengers is definitely one extremely fun movie. It doesn't transcend the genre's storytelling limits like Nolan's Batman trilogy did, but the whole thing probably would have collapsed trying to do this anyways. Instead it smartly embraces the lunacy of comic books rather than try to reject it. This means that the film becomes a little to silly at times, but it also allows it to be built from the ground up as a gigantic showcase for an array of very exciting action set pieces. It's definitely not a very deep or thought provoking film, but it's elevated well above the average explosion fest by its style, sense of fun, more than solid visual effects, and well established, albeit somewhat cartoony and overly flamboyant, characters. It's one of the most entertaining superhero movies out there. Expand
LynJan 6, 2013
Probably much more enjoyable on the big screen -- and I'm sure it would have been more enjoyable for a comic book aficionado. But its appearance on some of the critics' "best" lists made me curious. Campy costumes and a primary-colored plotProbably much more enjoyable on the big screen -- and I'm sure it would have been more enjoyable for a comic book aficionado. But its appearance on some of the critics' "best" lists made me curious. Campy costumes and a primary-colored plot (to the extent that there was one) made it fun in spots, but for me could not make up for the cheesy dialogue and silly story. Robert Downey Jr. had most of the best lines and wittily made good use of them; his performance definitely was the highlight. Expand
TrilobiteGJul 31, 2015
High paced, pure superhero fun with enough kick-butt action to keep it genuinely hilarious, but still mind-bogglingly detailed without having it explained as a lot of superhero films fail to do today.
MasterRileyDec 20, 2016
The Avengers is a good movie with awesome special effects and action sequences, especially that final battle in New York. Good casting and performances all around help to also make this a good addition to the MCU.
FreedomFightersDec 21, 2016
I'll just give it to you straight up, "The Avengers" is one of my all-time favorite superhero films. Call me a normie, disagree all you want, I really really enjoyed this film. I loved the characters, I thought the story and the writing wereI'll just give it to you straight up, "The Avengers" is one of my all-time favorite superhero films. Call me a normie, disagree all you want, I really really enjoyed this film. I loved the characters, I thought the story and the writing were good, I loved the acting, I thought it was exciting, visually spectacular and often pretty funny. It was pretty much everything I could've wanted in a superhero film. I'm so happy Marvel made the film work and I definitely have to highly recommend it. Go check it out! Expand
DanBurritoJul 21, 2016
The Avengers is a fun, action-packed superhero movie that brings some of Marvel's greatest heroes together with mostly entertaining results. The film features a good balance of wry humour and action, and even allows its characters to haveThe Avengers is a fun, action-packed superhero movie that brings some of Marvel's greatest heroes together with mostly entertaining results. The film features a good balance of wry humour and action, and even allows its characters to have flaws, adding enough dramatic tension to match its blockbuster scale. Tom Hiddleston shines as Loki, making him the best villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The rest of the cast all get their chance to shine, thanks to a script that successfully gives them all a fair share of screen time. However, I did have a few issues- the climax went on a little too long for my liking, and the plot could be a bit slow- but overall, The Avengers compensates for its flaws with an action-packed plot and a talented cast. Good for superhero fans. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Marvel Studios unveils its costliest special-effects demo to date; somewhere beneath the nonstop digital explosions lies a story about superheroes fighting an evil demigod from space. Every now and then, director Joss Whedon (Serenity) executes a quirky camera set-up to assert that the film was created by him and not a team of marketing executives. Of the star-studded cast, only Mark Ruffalo (playing Bruce Banner) and Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man) bring any personality to the place-holder dialogue. Overlong, monotonous, violent, and simple-minded, this is like one of those “World’s Biggest Gang Bang” videos, except that no one onscreen appears to be enjoying himself. With Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner.

Plus I can't stand LOKI!!!
dharmaMay 4, 2012
Is the AVENGERS the best super hero film of all time? No, it's not. But it's a great film. Let's start with the surprising negative aspect: slow mid section and predictable storyline. The positives: big spectacle film making at its best andIs the AVENGERS the best super hero film of all time? No, it's not. But it's a great film. Let's start with the surprising negative aspect: slow mid section and predictable storyline. The positives: big spectacle film making at its best and a final action sequence that made Transformer's look like an incoherent mess. Expand
sanyrubDec 13, 2013
It has to be pretty hard to do a movie with all these super heroes together and not do a horrible movie. So if only because it´s not a disaster by any means I give it a pass with a score of 5 out of 10. Apart from that the movie is notIt has to be pretty hard to do a movie with all these super heroes together and not do a horrible movie. So if only because it´s not a disaster by any means I give it a pass with a score of 5 out of 10. Apart from that the movie is not impacting or emotional or emotive or anything. It just keep you entertained while it lasts. But you quickly forget about it the moment it is over. Not impressive at all. Batman or Spiderman movies have so much more emotional content and lasting impact, just to give two examples. The thing that should be unquestionable is the great visual effects, but even that becomes not that impressive only a year later, when we had in 2013 several blockbusters doing it better and bigger, especially Star Trek into Darkness and Man of Steel (the most epic action in a super hero movie to date). Not even the score is especially good or something like in Nolan´s Batman or Man of Steel cases. Really forgettable no matter how much money it did thanks to the normal publicity generated by putting all these super heros together. Expand
gameguardian21Mar 24, 2016
While it has several plot holes, that should not stop anyone from watching this action packed adventure featuring our favourite marvel heroes joing together to kick ass.
jeremypMay 20, 2012
This kind of movie is for the young at heart and mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that-been there done that-it's just such a repetitive genre. Invincible people beat up on invincible people. No-one gets hurt- major damage toThis kind of movie is for the young at heart and mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that-been there done that-it's just such a repetitive genre. Invincible people beat up on invincible people. No-one gets hurt- major damage to buildings though-and then they do it again. Hulk gets the best scenes and Iron Man gets the best lines. In the end after 1/3 of greater New York City is demolished Mayor Bloomberg (or whoever in the future where Aircraft carriers fly) asks for Stimulus money from.......Odin? Expand
cabritaSep 1, 2012
Joss Whedon creates a fun blockbuster with a huge ensemble cast that most directors would screw up. Not a great film but it sure is fun for it's 2 and a half hour running time.
Knicksfan7May 4, 2012
In all honesty i don't see how they could've made this film anymore spectacular than it was. As a superhero fanboy (especially Marvel) i was in utter awe during the entire duration of the film. Joss Whedon did an absolutely amazing jobIn all honesty i don't see how they could've made this film anymore spectacular than it was. As a superhero fanboy (especially Marvel) i was in utter awe during the entire duration of the film. Joss Whedon did an absolutely amazing job directing and writing this blockbuster film. It certainly isn't an easy task making a film like this work but he sure did. I especially love how he made Bruce Banner/ the Hulk and Black Widow more of the 2 key characters. It was unexpected but i loved it. I also liked how they finally made the Hulk more of a good guy because he's always seen as a bad guy in every film you see. He also looked more like the actor playing Bruce Banner FINALLY! He didn't look ridiculous and unrecognizable for once. On to other things, the comedy in this film was just plain hilarious, and it was of course centered around Iron Man (Tony Stark). With the occasional jokes from Thor and how he is not familiar with Earth and Captain America being, well..old or outdated might be a better word. The action was just non-stop and absolutely mind-blowing. It was just perfect, i literally saw no flaws in the spectacle of explosion after explosion, and the CGI was just beautiful because it was perfect. While i was watching this movie, it didn't feel like a movie, it felt like something more, thats how fantastic it was. The acting was spot on, the plot was better than expected, and i can't praise Joss Whedons job on blending the chracters and their stories together enough. He just did such an amazing job, words can't even desribe. Loki was awesome, he was the definition of a villain. Slick, evil, and genius. I felt frigid during certain scenes with him because of how chilling his character was portrayed. All around this film itself is just perfect. The only flaw i saw was the 3D was nothing special so if you cannot decide, go with the 2D because the 3D is not worth the extra cash, but otherwise the actual film itself is perfect.The Avengers is not just a film, it's a cinematic event, and you will love it from the very beginning all the way until the classic end of the credits scene. I cannot wait to watch this film again. Whether you are a superhero fan or not you have to love this film, and if you are a superhero fan like myself, get ready to experience the best 2 and a half hours of film ever made. If i could give this more than a 10 i would! You must see this movie now! Expand
asthobaskoroMay 8, 2012
Lives up to its hype? Maybe but my expectation is broke. I don't know, maybe it's difficult to these superheroes join as a team. But they're not even a team, they're time bomb. Intriguing dialogue, funny and big boom explosion, it's not bestLives up to its hype? Maybe but my expectation is broke. I don't know, maybe it's difficult to these superheroes join as a team. But they're not even a team, they're time bomb. Intriguing dialogue, funny and big boom explosion, it's not best comic book movie but Joss Wheddon succeed bringing Marvel's most ambitious project so far. I don't understand what Loki's motive, even on Thor, I expect more reliable and crazier character like Ledger's Joker. Anyway, we want sequel. Expand
AkkharMay 12, 2012
"Joss Whedon is a freaking Genius" . It was so difficult to put together something like this but his amazing Story and Direction made the movie awesome . It was very thrilling and the action scenes were incredible and its had some really"Joss Whedon is a freaking Genius" . It was so difficult to put together something like this but his amazing Story and Direction made the movie awesome . It was very thrilling and the action scenes were incredible and its had some really funny moment too which tells that the movie is not boring at all. Robart , Tom was the best as they were before. Hamsworth was good but not better then he was on Thor . Evans on the other seemed kinda different . seems like he was too angry about everything . Scarlet was super and her action scenes were perfect but hated her hair style. S.l.Jackson and Jeremy was super too . And last Cobie was the surprise of the film . I saw her every week on HIMYM but here seeing her beauty just made my day ! plus her custom was WahaaoooO !!!
Effect was good as well as al the other work . But I didnt like the theme song that much . It wasnt bad but its not catchy like other superhero films.Overall The Avengers is a total perfect Entertainment !

Really want to thank The Avengers Creator Stan "The Man" Lee (Respect)! and co-creator Jack Kirby.

tnx to Marvel , Disney & Kevin for taking this Dream Project and turning it into a freaking awesome movie !
Khunter4382May 5, 2012
ASSEMBLE all your friends and family to go see The Avengers! It doesn't get much better than this! An ensemble movie done extremely well and there is just so much going on here. Iron Man is flawless as usual, Ruffalo is pitch-perfect as BruceASSEMBLE all your friends and family to go see The Avengers! It doesn't get much better than this! An ensemble movie done extremely well and there is just so much going on here. Iron Man is flawless as usual, Ruffalo is pitch-perfect as Bruce Banner/Hulk, and the whole ensemble just works. The plot is solid with an imminent threat that is worth caring about, and Loki is a fine villain. Again, there is a LOT going on here, but Whedon seems to pull it all together while still giving each character plenty of screen time. This is a "smash"-ing good time! Expand
A_NorthernerJan 9, 2013
My main concern with The Avengers was, in encompassing all of the members, the film would be spread too thinly between the characters, resulting in a watered down attempt to integrate characters and personalities, a little like the X-menMy main concern with The Avengers was, in encompassing all of the members, the film would be spread too thinly between the characters, resulting in a watered down attempt to integrate characters and personalities, a little like the X-men films. Thankfully this is not the case, although it's interesting that co-writer Zak Penn was involved in two of the X-men group films. Penn and Joss Whedon find enough screen-time for all the Avengers and by introducing them gradually through the film's opening third, sufficient emphasis is placed on each character. Similarly, I was disappointed when I discovered that the film's antagonist would be Loki, as I was not overly impressed with him in Thor. Again though, due to Hiddlestone's improved performance this time around and with Whedon's direction, I felt Loki was a much more interesting villain and one more fitting of the collective's film.

The team dynamic of between the superheroes is what really makes the film, alongside the blockbuster action sequences. Thor and Hulk clash, Captain America and Tony Stark routinely throw barbs at each other while Stark shows a surprisingly sincere side when offering support to Bruce Banner. Mark Ruffalo plays Banner with a sense of fear and regret of his destructive, uncontrollable power and I found him to be the most interesting character of the team. There's a slightly contrived back-story thrown in to give Hawkeye and Black Widow something of interest but its the funny moments between Stark and co. that gives the film its spark. Samuel. L. Jackson's brings his usual 'don't mess with me' cool factor and his larger role also benefits the movie. Being critical, I'm not sure the plot gave enough explanation as to why Banner returned to fight alongside the others after showing nothing but resistance to let 'the other guy' appear, or how he was able to control Hulk more effectively in contrast with the film's earlier events.

The so called Battle of New York finale is a really exciting well-directed battle, especially when you consider it's similarities to the frantic city battles Michael Bay treated us to in his Transformer films.

A genuine action blockbuster fit for it's cast.
CherryxldNov 23, 2014
The Avengers es una película en la que algunos momentos se torna fastidiosa, pero sin embargo ofrece unos grandes efectos visuales y da un buen espectáculo, por lo tanto tampoco hay que decir que la película es mala.
ArkonBladeJan 5, 2013
Got to be the best movie i saw in 2012. Great cast a very simplistic but decent story and some good dialogue. One of the things i like about this film and it gets so right is a GREAT final battle in the last 45 minutes which just looksGot to be the best movie i saw in 2012. Great cast a very simplistic but decent story and some good dialogue. One of the things i like about this film and it gets so right is a GREAT final battle in the last 45 minutes which just looks amazing. alot of theese comic book movie films have theese crap 1-2 minute ones that are just so lame and anticlimactic that it almost makes the movie feel like a waste. The one problem is though you have a great team of super heroes fighting one guy names loki and his army of Alien things. would have been so much cooler if it was a team of villians. Oh well for Avengers 2 then hopefully. Other then that don't waste your time seeing this in 3D . This was my first 3D movie i rented for my 3D TV and the 3D just felt tacked on outside of a few moments when it looked cool. Avengers in the end has to be the best Comic book to movie out there so far. Expand
JamesLJun 3, 2012
This was the worst movie I have seen this year. I generally do not like comic book super hero films but this one really was dreadful. The plot was stupid, the acting was stupid, the aliens were stupid, the street scenes were stupid, and I wasThis was the worst movie I have seen this year. I generally do not like comic book super hero films but this one really was dreadful. The plot was stupid, the acting was stupid, the aliens were stupid, the street scenes were stupid, and I was stupid for going. Captain America, give me a break! Why did Ruffalo and Renner appear in this piece of garbage? This is what audience crave? Thor and his hammer! God, I was sick to my stomach. Expand
bfoore90Feb 8, 2016
I never really understood that hype and acclaim that came with The Avengers. It came out at the same time as The Dark Knight Rises and seemingly was thought by many to be the better movie, something I completely disagree with. The AvengersI never really understood that hype and acclaim that came with The Avengers. It came out at the same time as The Dark Knight Rises and seemingly was thought by many to be the better movie, something I completely disagree with. The Avengers was entertaining but that was about it, this movie is clearly targeted for kids and young adults as the less than stellar pacing, clichéd dialogue and cookie cutter plot that I felt crippled the film in almost every way. I get that its a superhero movie, but that doesn't make up for how painfully sloppy this film was to me. While the action toward the end of the film and the awesome special effects make the movie at least somewhat watchable, its fair for me to say that as an impartial fan of both Marvel and DC that The Avengers was not nearly half the movie the TDKR was. 6.4/10 Expand
HaithamBAug 23, 2014
The Avengers is witty, intense and very entertaining, I loved every second of it, and every character of it stroke my heart and I was into their situation. I regret not seeing this in theaters.
CitizenCharlieMay 11, 2012
After setting it up with multiple films about how the individual characters gained their super powers, The Avengers finally brings together all of the heroes in one story to either work together as team to defend Earth or fight amongst eachAfter setting it up with multiple films about how the individual characters gained their super powers, The Avengers finally brings together all of the heroes in one story to either work together as team to defend Earth or fight amongst each other aided by their massive egos and verbal bravado. Perhaps never before in cinema history have there been so many movies released as prequels to set up the eventual crown jewel. Batman and Superman only met in the comics, not on the big screen. The Avengers appears to be sort of a test case to see if so many leading superheroes can all share the same screen.

While all six characters each receive a certain amount of on screen time and side story, some are pushed more into the foreground than others. As Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) is a fan favorite and is always handy with a funny quip, he is front and center along with Captain America (Chris Evans) who even though does not have much of a super power, places himself in a sort of leadership role within the group. Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), and the two characters that did not get their own films, Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) all fight for the leftover screen time in the background. The puppet master is Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) who spends most of his effort in sheep dog mode herding these guys from their billion dollar towers or their self-imposed exile.

So what possible threat is great enough to require the efforts of six superheroes? Eh, itâ
TheDRauchJul 17, 2012
The long awaited The Avengers seeks out summer movie boredom and punches it in the face with humor, incredible talk-about-it-for-hours-later-with-your-teenage-friends action, and an infectious sense of fun. The visuals are spectacular, theThe long awaited The Avengers seeks out summer movie boredom and punches it in the face with humor, incredible talk-about-it-for-hours-later-with-your-teenage-friends action, and an infectious sense of fun. The visuals are spectacular, the characters are all given their shot at the spotlight, Joss Whedon proves to be a go-to director for big hollywood releases, and, well, basically it just defines the word 'awesome'. It doesn't really unearth any hidden truths about morality and justice (as opposed to other superhero films like The Dark Knight) and you pretty much will see every twist coming, but that is all blown away with its sheer grand scale and fanboy glee-filled moments. Go in with whatever expectations you have and you will probably leave happily. A perfect summer release and an overall great time at the movies. Expand
Lambo442Sep 7, 2012
Excellent film, perfect in every way for me. It is definitely as cool as you think it's going to be seeing as Joss Whedon has an obvious love for all of these characters and a understanding of what each of them special. It's a long old movieExcellent film, perfect in every way for me. It is definitely as cool as you think it's going to be seeing as Joss Whedon has an obvious love for all of these characters and a understanding of what each of them special. It's a long old movie too, around 2.30 hours which gives you plenty of story but also plenty of action. The action is very special too, amazing effects and an inventive way of displaying the action. The characters are fleshed out as much as they need to be, but the main focus here is action action action, lovely. Whedon's probably the best thing about Hollywood at the moment. Expand
wishmasterJun 6, 2012
This movie wasn´t of my totally pleasantness, fools jokes, boring and spent history, but i wasn't like! i don't like! is a stupid movie. I only save the special effects
JonnyFendiMay 24, 2012
Why THE AVENGERS could easily become a huge success? I think even some of you could answer thiz question. Thiz movie is the culmination of Marvel hard work over the past couple of years. The lucky guy who was appointed to direct thiz movie isWhy THE AVENGERS could easily become a huge success? I think even some of you could answer thiz question. Thiz movie is the culmination of Marvel hard work over the past couple of years. The lucky guy who was appointed to direct thiz movie is Joss Whedon. The director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) initiates the Avengers initiative by assembling all the super humans to save the world from the powerful evil Loki (Tom Hiddleston). The storyline is not as dynamic as I think it is, there was a time when the story is stuck and filled with unnecessary dialogue. The power of thiz movie obviously lies in its character interactions. Nick Fury is originally written as a white guy in the comic book but Samuel L. Jackson confidently steps in to play thiz character. Thiz is not the first time thiz has happened. It reminds me when Michael Clarke Duncan portrayed the overweight crime boss Kingpin in Ben Affleck DAREDEVIL (2003) and I am also so excited to see Laurence Fishburne as Clark Kent boss Perry White in upcoming Superman MAN OF STEEL (2013). However, in thiz case, I did not see Samuel L. Jackson became Nick Fury, instead it was Nick Fury became Samuel L. Jackson. But in the end, it was totally acceptable. Samuel L. Jackson is able to present a precise leadership aura to his Nick Fury character. Once again, I have to remind you, what made thiz movie so interesting is when these superheroes gather around and interact with each other. We can see The Duo Chris, Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth who successfully demonstrate their muscular bodies, just like in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (2011) and THOR (2011). Thiz is how superheroes should look like! The brand new figures in thiz movie are the master archer Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and the elegant Agent Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders who is widely known in HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER {2005-present}). The other figures who have been introduced since IRON MAN 2 are the loyal Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) and the sexy heroine Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson). Surprisingly, Scarlett Johansson has a fairly large part in thiz movie. Wait a minute, on second thought, if you have Scar Jo in tight sexy latex suit, of course you will exploit it more. If we are talking about Iron Man, thiz is also one of the most interesting parts. It looks like Robert Downey Jr. have already fused into thiz Tony Stark character so deep, he can represent thiz self-centered character very well without any problem. But in thiz movie, the one who really becomes a scene stealer is the giant green rage monster named Hulk! Once again, it was the Hulk character, not exactly Dr. Bruce Banner or Mark Ruffalo but it was all of them in one. Some fresh and funny moments are obviously when Hulk is around. The most unfortunate thing is that they did not bring up the original founding team such as Ant-Man and The Wasp into the movie. In the end, I confidently can say Marvel Comics seems to be one step ahead from its competitor DC Comics so far. Recently, thiz movie has ruled the box office chart and it turns out to be the earth mightiest blockbuster movie. You know what that means, right? Oh yeah, the next Avengers movie will be coming soon. Maybe next time Marvel Studios will enrich their universe with the presence of other superheroes like Quicksilver, Black Panther, Vision, Doctor Strange, She-Hulk, Wolverine, even Spider-Man. Are you ready for another one?

Visit My Blog on JONNY MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
BarneyOnMTMar 14, 2016
WHAT I LIKE: 'The Avengers' defines the comic book movie. It's explosive, fun, action packed, pop-corn entertainment taken to the next level. The feeling of seeing the characters you love, interact for the first time can never be repeated.WHAT I LIKE: 'The Avengers' defines the comic book movie. It's explosive, fun, action packed, pop-corn entertainment taken to the next level. The feeling of seeing the characters you love, interact for the first time can never be repeated. The confrontations, the jokes, the teamwork, it all feels so real. How? Well, the acting is class A stuff, but Whedon's direction here is nothing short of amazing - it gives the movie heart. Really, it's a wonder it doesn't collapse under it's own weight. But but thanks to a mix of smart writing and exciting action it really, really doesn't; Whedon recognises the equal importance of some great scenes without all that fighting to ground the team dynamic and character relationships. So thankfully their dynamics are pegged perfectly, the tone of the humour and lightheartedness overall is well done, and the new characters are all great too. Oh, and that final action scene just makes it. Wow.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Some bits are a teeny bit cringe-worthy if I'm honest like the goofy costumes, cheesy lines and the odd bit of bad CGI. But it arguably adds to it's ballsy comic book charm.
VERDICT: It might not be flawless, but I haven't felt this way since Star Wars. It's monumental in how it makes you feel - proud, thrilled and downright happy.
txrangersfan72May 4, 2012
At the core of a great film is an even greater story. At the core of every great story are even greater characters, chemistry and a strong foundation of source material. The Avengers have been around since the early 60s, and the charactersAt the core of a great film is an even greater story. At the core of every great story are even greater characters, chemistry and a strong foundation of source material. The Avengers have been around since the early 60s, and the characters even far beyond that. Personally, in the midst of my parents divorcing, I decided to take a second chance on comic books after dipping my toe into Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew in March, 1982 while living in Broken Arrow, OK during one of my many, many trips to QuikTrip to either buy ice cream, donuts or penny candy while playing Ms. Pac-Man. It wasn't a wonder why I became fat around this time. Fast forward 2 years to May, 1984, when I purchased Avengers (Vol 1) number 243, mostly due to my being intrigued with Captain America. I instantly fell in love with comics, and needed them to help me cope with the massive changes going on around me at the time. My heart was broken when the first Avengers cartoon series in 1999-2000 was an embarrassment. Just a pathetic series. However, when the X-Men movies did well and other titles like Daredevil, Elektra and Fantastic Four started to be released, I was excited to eventually see, at least, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. on the big screen. Never did I think a studio would be ambitious enough to attempt The Avengers as a whole.

Over the past few months, I've seen some of the most uninteresting trailers for The Avengers. I have been so worried thinking that the movie I've waited 28 years for was going to be an absolute disaster. Trailer after trailer, it didn't look any better. Did Joss royally screw this thing up???

Well, I saw it opening night, tonight. The trailers show the tiniest fraction of what happens in this absolute masterpiece. Sure, it's action-packed. It's expected to be. Sure it's got funny moments. It's expected to, especially with Robert Downey, Jr. as a leading man. What Joss Whedon did was take the greatest care of characters since Nolan's Batman series. The interaction between the characters, the way they deal with their own personal concerns and flaws, and how they come together as a team is so perfectly executed it nearly brought tears to my eyes. To most people it might be looked at as an enjoyable popcorn film; a great kickoff to the summer movie season. To me, a die-hard, multi-decade fanatic of this comic, these films, these characters and the integrity of keeping them authentic was paramount and, honestly, impossible to achieve, in my eyes. Joss proved me oh-so-wrong. When I began seeing the very nigh praise, the 93% on Rottentomatoes, etc. my low expectations became super high expectations. How often are expectations like that ever met? Well, I can at least say they weren't met. They were left in the dust, exceeded beyond anything my fanboy mind could have conjured. Bless Marvel, Whedon and these actors for treating multiple generations of fans to a perfect example of how it can be done right. Sure, Nolan has become the gold standard, but Whedon showed everyone that Marvel can do it too. My only regret is that Edward Norton couldn't reprise his role as Bruce Banner. Of the 3 Bruce's, he was the best. Mark Ruffalo was the worst. I like him as an actor and he had some of the mannerisms, but Edward captured the intellectual, frightened and loner aspect of Bruce Banner perfectly. Hulk, however, stole the show. Without spoiling some of the key aspects of the movie, I will just say that Joss' inclusion of Hulk in the manner in which he was was the cherry on top of this perfect sundae. While I can't imagine them topping this one, I've been so strongly surprised, I would never say never. The setup at the end of The Avengers has me so excited about where these movies will continue to go. I even guessed the surprise ending way early in the movie, but that was a product of my pure geekiness made happy by clearly other geeky people who wrote the film. Bring it on, Marvel. Excelsior! Nuff Said!!
avatar16May 4, 2012
Après des débuts assez mitigés (de l'excellentissime Iron Man au mollasson Thor), les super-héros Marvel de ces dernières années mettent enfin le paquet. Et pas qu'unAprès des débuts assez mitigés (de l'excellentissime Iron Man au mollasson Thor), les super-héros Marvel de ces dernières années mettent enfin le paquet. Et pas qu'un peu! De la part d'Avengers, on en attendait un défouloir sympathique. A la place, nous avons droit à un chef-d'oeuvre d'action (rien que ça), qui lorgne vers Transformers (pour le côté explosif et généreux), tout en le surpassant. Mouvementé, hilarant (Stark et mention spéciale à Hulk), ébouriffant, très bien joué, effets spéciaux sublimes, costumes... Bref, il n'y a rien à dire d'Avengers! Peut-être que si : musiques pas si mémorables, et la barre a été mise tellement haute qu'on appréhende déjà comment va être la suite. Mais vous voulez de véritables sensations fortes avec un blockbuster américain qui ne se fout pas de la gueule des spectateurs, Avengers est le divertissement qu'il vous faut. Peut-être même le meilleur entertainment de l'année! Expand
sil3nt_nickMar 27, 2013
Just a bunch of fighting scenes with less than desirable dialogue and plot.
mrmonsterMay 29, 2012
Before I saw the movie, I thought it was going to be a stupid combination of a bunch of bad movies in an attempt to create on good movie.
I was wrong.
I was wrong.
Lets face it, the only one of the avengers with a good individual movie was Captain America. But all together, they made an awesome movie. Teens and adults will love this movie. See the movie immediately. Intense action, combined with Scarlett Johansson in skin tight clothes, makes what could be the best movie of 2012.
jeff_reviewsJul 4, 2013
Walking out of the movie theater, all I could say was "Wow." With enough spectacle and a great story line, this is one of Marvel's greatest films to date. "The Avengers" is humorous, inventive, and uses all of the superheroes in the AvengersWalking out of the movie theater, all I could say was "Wow." With enough spectacle and a great story line, this is one of Marvel's greatest films to date. "The Avengers" is humorous, inventive, and uses all of the superheroes in the Avengers to creative a witty tale that uses top notch actors to deliver. Expand
EssenceOfSugarMay 8, 2012
I want to say a lot about this film but this is such an awesome film that it can easily be summed up quite quickly. Think of an action film - for example, Transformers is a good one - with two dimensional characters, humanity, real humour andI want to say a lot about this film but this is such an awesome film that it can easily be summed up quite quickly. Think of an action film - for example, Transformers is a good one - with two dimensional characters, humanity, real humour and a wonderful story to boot. Even the villain has his own personality and a legitimate reason to invade Earth. This is one of those films that even for the umpteenth time you will continue to be entertained. Have you ever seen multiple superheroes from different films from the coolest comics come together with such ease? Expand
JmsbppJul 19, 2013
todos los superheroes serie una peliculas de 10.00. horas sin embargo solo accion no rellena el vacio de lo monotono no es merecida de grandes cosas como son cada uno de sus heroes
ReubenIsAGodMay 24, 2014
First time watching the Avengers i was amazed, astonished and dazzled by the fact that Marvel manged to create an avengers film; Second time watching through the film, again im amazed at how good the film is and how much better it is comparedFirst time watching the Avengers i was amazed, astonished and dazzled by the fact that Marvel manged to create an avengers film; Second time watching through the film, again im amazed at how good the film is and how much better it is compared to over superhero films; Third time, its an ok film, the acting is good, the action is good, but i feel as if something is missing; FOURTH **** TIME, what the **** what is the plot of the film, why is the main story so boring, damn why is captain america under used, why are all the characters very shallow and boring, why is the only good thing about the film the fact that the Action sequences are spectacular and seeing all those hero's on the screen amazing.

I rest my case, The Avengers is a above average film that managed to trick people in to thinking that it was Awesometacular.
ClariseSamuelsMay 13, 2013
This is last year's summer blockbuster. The Avengers has its moments and you won't fall asleep, but it is a bit too busy, probably because it has five or six superheroes too many, including two from Norse mythology. I'm not sure that Loki andThis is last year's summer blockbuster. The Avengers has its moments and you won't fall asleep, but it is a bit too busy, probably because it has five or six superheroes too many, including two from Norse mythology. I'm not sure that Loki and Thor count as superheroes. Thor is the Norse god of thunder; in this film, he is frequently depicted wielding a gold oversized hammer that looks like a giant dreidel. Loki is, according to mythology, a rather weird loner of a god who causes all kinds of mischief, and he is famous for being a shapeshifter, an attribute which is not explored in this story. In this film, Loki is the mad genius who wants to destroy the world, the typical villain that turns up in every superhero movie from Batman to Austin Powers to the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. In Norse mythology, Loki is constantly fouling things up, and he is not a nice god, but he doesn't have enough ambition or smarts to try to destroy the planet.

For example, in a famous mythological scene, Odin, the chief god, is on planet Earth strolling along to pay a respectful visit the King of the Dwarves. Odin is accompanied by Loki and another god. The King's son is also a shapeshifter, and the son is lounging by the stream in the shape of an otter. Loki sees the otter, and all he can think is “lunch,” so while Odin walks on ahead, Loki stops to kill the otter, throw it over his shoulders, and then give the poor Dwarf King a real shock when he enters the house a few minutes behind Odin, carrying some delectable meat. This causes Odin all kinds of problems, as he then has to find a way to give the Dwarf King restitution for the death of his son. Tom Hiddleston as Loki does a very good portrayal of unrelenting evil, but the relation to the mythological Loki is weak.

Even Robert Downey Jr. gets lost in the sauce, since his Iron Man has much less screen time here than what he's used to, and he's sharing the set with too many other A-listers. Downey is a little out of shape in this film, a state he seems to have recently corrected, but the main problem is that Iron Man as a team player doesn't seem to work. Mark Ruffalo's the Hulk is so hulking and destructive that he gets on your nerves. He's a bull in a china shop, and his massive destructiveness is a little annoying. The pleasant surprise is Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow. Her best scene is when she's tied to a chair and is seemingly being interrogated, if not tortured, but in fact she is the one conducting the interrogation by asking a lot of questions while perceived as being in a state of bondage from which she cannot escape. When she has to answer her cell phone, she drops the ruse, beats everybody up, and gets back to the office. That scene is worth the rest of the movie.

The film is entertaining on a somewhat juvenile level, but given that it made over a billion dollars, the producers are obviously not concerned about high art with respect to this genre.
AwesomeReviewerMay 4, 2012
To put it simply, YES! I would have sat through five more movies like â
Viper8787May 11, 2015
A very well done action movie that was explosive. One of the biggest box office hits of all time and I can see why. There's something in this movie for everyone great action and some good comedy elements in there as well. It did feel long atA very well done action movie that was explosive. One of the biggest box office hits of all time and I can see why. There's something in this movie for everyone great action and some good comedy elements in there as well. It did feel long at times and I do find that this film is over rated but it is still a very good watch Expand
TTW107May 5, 2012
Absolutely everything you would want out of an Avengers movie plus some. In the wrong hands this movie could've gone horribly awry and I'm ecstatic that this isn't the case. Prior to seeing it I was really worried about the 2 hr. 22 min. runAbsolutely everything you would want out of an Avengers movie plus some. In the wrong hands this movie could've gone horribly awry and I'm ecstatic that this isn't the case. Prior to seeing it I was really worried about the 2 hr. 22 min. run but it seriously was not a problem, in fact I wouldn't have minded a 3 hr running time. The action was incredible and the banter between the super heroes was more often than not hysterical. And this is one of the first movies that the 3D didn't piss me off. You owe it to yourself to see this in theaters and experience the awesomeness. Expand
StevieGJDMay 31, 2012
The Avengers is the best superhero movie ever made. It is that simple and I have a guilty pleasure for the genre. I was a little annoyed when I got the forced set ups of this movie in Iron Man, Thor and Captain America but now I appreciateThe Avengers is the best superhero movie ever made. It is that simple and I have a guilty pleasure for the genre. I was a little annoyed when I got the forced set ups of this movie in Iron Man, Thor and Captain America but now I appreciate them. I even see an uncredited Hawk in a scene in Thor now. Awesome special effects, though this does not have to be seen in 3D. It's fine without 3D. If you like comics or action movies, you will like this. Not every popular movie is bad. Expand
seancriswellAug 16, 2012
Maybe the most hyped movie ever, considering the 4 or 5 movies that started the journey. Overall The Avengers delivers. One of the biggest question marks going in was how do you put this many characters in a film and keep the story cohesive.Maybe the most hyped movie ever, considering the 4 or 5 movies that started the journey. Overall The Avengers delivers. One of the biggest question marks going in was how do you put this many characters in a film and keep the story cohesive. At no point during this movie did I feel that a character was being used in a negative way. The story flowed naturally and the dialogue was fun and light. The action looked amazing faithful to the characters and most importantly entertaining. This is the best pure summer popcorn movie to come along in a while. Expand
theofficeMay 5, 2012
very good movie. Cannot go wrong that's for sure. I give it an 8 because the story simply is not as good as super hero movies like batman. The action is really good and the effects are awesome. Definitely worth seeing.
19 of 31 users found this helpful1912
SythusRATINGSOct 19, 2014
Continuing the epic big-screen adventures started in Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger, Marvel's The Avengers is the superhero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges thatContinuing the epic big-screen adventures started in Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger, Marvel's The Avengers is the superhero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as SHIELD, finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins. Expand
YellowKirbyOct 10, 2015
While it certainly has its flaws (such as the overly long climax), Avengers is still an epic finale to phase one of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Loki is still awesome, and the quips are as frequent as ever (wether that's good or bad is up to you).
SchroederRockMay 4, 2012
The Avengers is a musical arrangement that hits every note on pitch with all the class and excitement you'd expect with Tony Stark in the mix. Joss Whedon takes the helm and crafts a masterpiece. The characters are great, the script isThe Avengers is a musical arrangement that hits every note on pitch with all the class and excitement you'd expect with Tony Stark in the mix. Joss Whedon takes the helm and crafts a masterpiece. The characters are great, the script is amazing, the comedy is always perfect, and the action is breathtaking! You won't find a better superhero movie or a comic adaptation. The Avengers sets the bar high, and will be one of the main reasons 2012's summer movie release list will be memorable. Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
The special effects were great and the action was great, but The Avengers was lacking in other areas. The story was ridiculous and not engaging whatsoever and the jokes just weren't very funny at all. God, Robert Downey Jr. annoyed me so much!
GagaForGhibliJun 3, 2012
The 3-D Is Amazing And Epic!
We Want Somthing New Not Another Freaking Superhero Movie...
THINK
JohnKristoferDec 21, 2014
Marvel 's Iconic superheroes assembles in one amazing Movie.The Avengers is a great film in general with amazing heroes and fantastic actors portraying with awesome visual effects,Good story and great character development.The Villain,Loki,isMarvel 's Iconic superheroes assembles in one amazing Movie.The Avengers is a great film in general with amazing heroes and fantastic actors portraying with awesome visual effects,Good story and great character development.The Villain,Loki,is a great villain ,Tom Hiddleston did a great job portraying his character.The Avengers is a great summer blockbuster! Expand
MattyiceMay 8, 2012
Overall, one of my top 3 favorite superhero movies of all time (Along with the dark night and xmen: first class). A great real supervillan. Great acting by Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johanson. Some comedicOverall, one of my top 3 favorite superhero movies of all time (Along with the dark night and xmen: first class). A great real supervillan. Great acting by Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johanson. Some comedic scenes also made me laugh out loud at some points. Overall, a must see for any action fan. Expand
SuperheroMoviesAug 1, 2013
The Avengers was absolutely incredible, it had the right amount of explosive action, it was hysterical, everything the perfect superhero movie movie needs and what superhero fans want and then some times six. The Avengers in one word wasThe Avengers was absolutely incredible, it had the right amount of explosive action, it was hysterical, everything the perfect superhero movie movie needs and what superhero fans want and then some times six. The Avengers in one word was simply "marvel"ous! Expand
MoviebuffreviewMay 5, 2012
Exciting, incredibly well written, and hilarious, The Avengers is Marvel's best film. The action is incredibly thrilling, the humor unmatched in a blockbuster, and the performances fantastic. This is the best way to start off the Summer movie season.
dijavantewowMay 4, 2012
This movie is funny, it has great action scenes, it's just a great movie. Way better than I expected it to be. The characters play well off each other and seem to be cast perfectly. I would definitely go see it again.
FDT44May 4, 2012
As a director and co-screenwriter, Joss Whedon is no stranger to mixing and matching genres, and 'Avengers' is no different; while it has one of the most engaging, well-written, and slickly paced screenplays ever known to Marvel-based films,As a director and co-screenwriter, Joss Whedon is no stranger to mixing and matching genres, and 'Avengers' is no different; while it has one of the most engaging, well-written, and slickly paced screenplays ever known to Marvel-based films, met with spectacular action sequences, shot at scrolling multi-dimensional angles--the non-stop action foregrounded from the mesmerizing setpieces and cinematography--too, is the suprisingly clean wit that brings relief at the most opportune times; both when the action subsides and drowsiness kicks in, and when the overstimulation of explosions, sound effects, and "Hulk-fists" flood the senses. However, notwithstanding its keen eye for diversity, and its frequent reminder to the audience that its characters are, real people with real lows and highs, and even larger hearts, albeit shown tacitly, 'Avengers' is, proudly so, a mind-vacationing summer caper; one that just happens to be much more tolerable, thanks to its ensemble cast's performances and the aforementioned flair. Assuming the form, though, of the genre, the film is host to, well...problems. Further, it tries arduously to make the viewer unaware of its issues, usually of continuity, masking them up, both literally and figuratively, but fanboys and casual moviegoers alike, will be far too engaged. Nonetheless, if one doesn't think too hard, 'Avengers' is an elite, alpha-male, man-amongst-boys spectacle that can't be missed. Put differently, it more than marginally exceeds its hyped expectations. More specifically, though, the pairing of the script with each of the "heroes" is a delight in itself; each brings something a bit different to the table, and each delivers in their role. First and foremost, is Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark. Downey benefits, arguably the most from the quick-punching dialogue, as he wears his arrogant, billionaire-playboy-braggart aura so balanced that, when on-screen, he is all the audience can look at; his performance plays out like he was born to play the character, "Shakespearan-bearded," and all. One can't leave the theaters without Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow on their mind. As the tantalizingly tempestuous scarlet-beauty, she moves the screen with her walk, her talk, and her kick-ass, which apparently all can be done in one scene; think interrogation becomes interrogator. Next, is the unexpectantlyn refreshing Mark Ruffalo who plays the night-and-day role of anxiously cool Bruce Banner and the robustly stalwart and indomitable Hulk. Aside from his own contribution as Banner--which he does wonderfully--is the remarkable semblance his CGI'd-Hulk draws to the original, Lou Ferrigno (the "hulking" homo erectus with a thick, bushy, black-and-gray brow as well as the same touch of humanoid sense of self). Chris Evans' 'Captain' is also commendable, although, Evans himself, looks a good 15 pounds slimmer. He steps up to the role, but his same massive physique displayed in his own self-titled journey, is greatly reduced, which in turn, subtracts from his physical prowess. In addition, Hemsworth's Thor looks and acts just as formulated--his Aryan, golden-locks and azure eyes, bulbous shoulders and arms and the same misplaced naivete and ignorance--fits Whedon's mold. Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury, is no exception. While not as charismatic as the others, his "Shaft"-like spin, stern, in-your-face, and collectedly in control, is also apt the ensemble. And, although Renner's Hawkeye/Barton adds some action-filler, he doesn't quite offer anything much other than a few bicep flashes and stray arrows; such arrows that never seem to run-out. But, that is only one, very minor, continuity issue found among the many others. At the same time, however, special mention goes to Tom Hiddleson's Loki. Now, here is a villain who is so unpredictably nefarious, that almost an entire film is centered around him, but it works. I thoroughly enjoyed Hiddleson as Loki in "Thor," probably even more so than Thor himself, and again, he delivers with such darkly crafted charisma and snakily twisted facial expressions that is almost as fun to root for him as it is against him. So, yes, each character contributes. But, I have to ask, what's up with Clark Gregg's Agent Coulson. Not quite sure if Whedon is pointing to a, let's say, "fruity" demographic or what; his role is not really necessary, and only kills extra time and strong moments. As a whole, though, 'Avengers' packs an astounding beginning, a slow, estrogenic drama-anticlimax, followed by a resonantly solid close that does an incredible job at finishing on a high note; a ringing conclusion that acts as the world's best eraser--it wipes the distractingly uninvolved middle right from the minds of its audience--and re-draws a picture worth looking at: a superior, Marvel-action-flick-masterpiece. Sadly for Whedon, not all are as easily manipulated. Expand
chugheadMay 9, 2012
If you're not into going green this summer then you will be when you see the HULK close the show and Robert Downy Jr -Stark steal the show. Its like seeing Bruce Lee, Matrix, Transformers and X-Men mashup. Not a Mona Lisa or as philosophicalIf you're not into going green this summer then you will be when you see the HULK close the show and Robert Downy Jr -Stark steal the show. Its like seeing Bruce Lee, Matrix, Transformers and X-Men mashup. Not a Mona Lisa or as philosophical and scientific as Leonardo Divinci but it makes a hell of an abstract Picasso to wow you. -Derrick Expand
superbatSep 3, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best Marvel movie ever made, the best MCU movie and one of the best superhero movies ever made. The acting is excellent and the plot was well writen, the actionsequences were awesome, the movie truly bring the Avengers to life. I am a fan of both DC and Marvel, We're lucky to live in a time when we get to see both The Avengers, and next year, The Justice League on the big screen. A truly excellent movie. Expand
joao1198pedroOct 19, 2013
avengers is a good superhero movie that entertains enough, marvel managed to make several characters become the center of the story, not the best superhero movie of all time but it deserves to be seen.
AkashVijayJan 22, 2015
The Avengers is not just bad, it's boring as hell. I simply don't get the appeal for these sorts of films. A 15 minute plot and 2 hours of mindless, mind numbing action is not exactly my idea of entertainment. Might as well go into theThe Avengers is not just bad, it's boring as hell. I simply don't get the appeal for these sorts of films. A 15 minute plot and 2 hours of mindless, mind numbing action is not exactly my idea of entertainment. Might as well go into the kitchen, bang a few utensils around and use my own imagination. It's certainly not art and it's not even fun. Expand