7.9

1. Feb 9, 2013
    I still cannot believe I wasted my money on this, what a complete and utter waste of time! I am shocked by the fact people thought this movie was great. I mean the acting was poor, the screenplay was laughable and the directing was far from perfect. It's so sad that people don't know good movies anymore these days.
  2. Jan 28, 2013
    The Avengers is the best Marvel comic book movie ever made. This movie had great action, great acting, and a great plot. It's 143 minutes of pure awesomeness and excitement. Also this movie had fantastic acting from Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, and Tom Hiddleston. This is one of my favorite films of all time. This is the best film of 2012 by far.
  3. Jan 24, 2013
    It is the closest to perfection a comic book movie adaptation can get. I really can not say too much else. I found almost nothing wrong with it, however, I do feel they could have gotten a more prominent Villain. Loki was convincing and a worthy foe, but it just felt like they could have gone up against someone more sinister than an Asgardian with daddy issues. Still, a fantastic film that I can watch over and over. How on earth did Cobie Smulders get cast in this movie? Quite the big leap from TV sitcom to ...... this. There's nothing wrong with her, I was just pleasantly surprised. Expand
  4. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Avengers is a pitiful excuse of a movie. The film is so heavy on action sequences that plot, character development, and any good storytelling are just nonexistent. There is so much useless humor that the movie just drags on. The last battle seemed like it was half the entire movie and battle ended unnaturally quickly and with little effort but the avengers. Hawkeye and Black Widow, who are just human beings, seem to be able to take out huge aliens with guns with ease. The hulk, who said he could control his transformation by always being angry completely baffles me. If he is always angry and can control himself, then why did he transform when he was on the floating base. A highly overrated and completely terrible film. Expand
  5. Jan 22, 2013
    Considering the number of movies that came out this year, the Avengers stand near the top of the list. It balances the creation of the superheroes with the dynamic of peoples whom all would have such huge egos having to come together as a team. The comedy is amazing and creates that sense of distrust between the superheroes due to these egos. The invasion at the end is somewhat ruined by the "Phantom menace Droid Army Syndrome" but beyond that was a solid movie. Expand
  6. Jan 19, 2013
    I began watching this movie expecting something decent, but nothing too exceptional. However, it really was pretty good. I don't claim that the Avengers film was a brilliant piece of work, but it entertained me, and at the end of the day that's what I'm after.
  7. Jan 17, 2013
    I obviously don't hold the popular opinion here, but to me this movie just didn't measure up. I've seen both Iron Man movies, Captain America, and many of the past Marvel movies including characters featured in this film, and I thought most if not all of them were better than this one. Maybe it's just that I've outgrown the more playful and mindlessly violent tone of these types of movies, but to me the movie just felt childish and simplistic. I realize that in a way, it's a great triumph seeing this crazy symphony of classic Marvel characters clashing with enemies and sometimes themselves, which in a way makes it the perfect superhero movie, but it just doesn't seem to create the same type of captivation one would expect from such an ordeal. It just feels goofy and undeveloped in a sense, unfortunately. Expand
  8. Jan 17, 2013
    I like this movie but it isn't my favorite.
  9. Jan 12, 2013
    It's not every day a film comes along that has such an exciting, fast pace, but also has such a satisfactory, witty script, good actors, a genuinely slimy villain in the tradition of Basil Rathbone, and spectacular action sequences that do not go on and on, but thrill. Take the opportunity to watch this one. It's well worth the money.
  10. Jan 11, 2013
    The avengers is the best movie with best cast.I can't wait till avengers 2 comes out. Avengers is the best super hero movie. Bat man is nothing compered to the avengers.
  11. Jan 9, 2013
    I hate starting off a good review with a rant, but really? Comparing this movie to Transformers? Only league where this was the same as Transformers were the groundbreaking special effects, simple as that.
    Director Joss Whedon has created a film that has a mixture of all of our favourite fanboy fantasies, a near-perfect script in which the title characters, particularly (and as usual)
    Robert Downey Jr, i mean, who else but Whedon's dark yet comical understanding of the genre and Downey Jr's witty delivery could get away with labelling Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth) as "Point Break" or calling Clint 'Hawkeye' Barton (Jeremy Renner) Legolas? Simple little bows to other genres captivate this into a gloriously fresh and surprisingly funny film, and a wonderful beginning to more Avengers.
    The excellently diverse Tom Hiddlestone reprises his role as Thor's brother, Loki, who attempts to capture the Tesseract, which first appeared in Captain America (again played by Chris Evans).
    What differentiates this ensemble film from the rest? Well for starters, all our superheroes are on the same screen, Joss Whedon is clearly not afraid to lend screen time to develop other stories, particularly Renner's Hawkeye and the return of Scarlett Johansson's delectably dangerous Black Widow. We also see the return of the most fearsome, yet difficult hero of them all, the one we have yet to see a favourable film about, Hulk. Taking over from Ed Norton,we see Mark Ruffalo taking the reigns, and quite honestly the dialogue between him and Downey Jr is not to be missed or forgotten. The interactions between all characters is unmissable. Phil Coulson returns and his as deadpan hilarious as ever, lining himself to play a pivotal role in the film.
    what please me the most watching the Avengers was how Whedon has expertly divided the screen time between all our heroes, while still maintaining a thriving story and not leaving the human characters out in the cold.
    The battle of Manhattan is stunning to watch,whether it was witnessing Iron Man bounce rays off Cap's shield to defeat enemies, Thor and Hulk teaming to fight the alien race or Black Widow and Hawkeye nitpicking with their respective skills, each member had a part to play, but it was indeed Ruffalo's Hulk who stole the show, his humorous 'other guy' stance regarding the Hulk, his nervous yet accepting persona and of course his dialogue with Tony Stark was just excellent. This was smart, sophisticated, funny, pop cultured and fun, everything Transformers wasn't. As my current re-watch favourite, this is easily the best superhero movie in a long while, suit up, grab your shield, hammer, and turn green, then watch, watch and watch again.
  12. Jan 9, 2013
    My main concern with The Avengers was, in encompassing all of the members, the film would be spread too thinly between the characters, resulting in a watered down attempt to integrate characters and personalities, a little like the X-men films. Thankfully this is not the case, although it's interesting that co-writer Zak Penn was involved in two of the X-men group films. Penn and Joss Whedon find enough screen-time for all the Avengers and by introducing them gradually through the film's opening third, sufficient emphasis is placed on each character. Similarly, I was disappointed when I discovered that the film's antagonist would be Loki, as I was not overly impressed with him in Thor. Again though, due to Hiddlestone's improved performance this time around and with Whedon's direction, I felt Loki was a much more interesting villain and one more fitting of the collective's film.

The team dynamic of between the superheroes is what really makes the film, alongside the blockbuster action sequences. Thor and Hulk clash, Captain America and Tony Stark routinely throw barbs at each other while Stark shows a surprisingly sincere side when offering support to Bruce Banner. Mark Ruffalo plays Banner with a sense of fear and regret of his destructive, uncontrollable power and I found him to be the most interesting character of the team. There's a slightly contrived back-story thrown in to give Hawkeye and Black Widow something of interest but its the funny moments between Stark and co. that gives the film its spark. Samuel. L. Jackson's brings his usual 'don't mess with me' cool factor and his larger role also benefits the movie. Being critical, I'm not sure the plot gave enough explanation as to why Banner returned to fight alongside the others after showing nothing but resistance to let 'the other guy' appear, or how he was able to control Hulk more effectively in contrast with the film's earlier events.

The so called Battle of New York finale is a really exciting well-directed battle, especially when you consider it's similarities to the frantic city battles Michael Bay treated us to in his Transformer films.

A genuine action blockbuster fit for it's cast.
  13. Jan 7, 2013
    This is by far the best Marvel film released. It avoids the forced Hollywood romance plot while delivering copious amounts of Marvel fanservice. With the exception of Captain America, I feel that each of the Marvel characters had a chance to showcase their talents. Not only that, but there's a good amount of humor in this film as well.
  14. Jan 6, 2013
    Brainless action with no real story or character's development. The movie has tons of special effects and cgs but in the end it feels more like a colorful candy that is rotten inside. Almost complete garbage.
  15. Lyn
    Jan 6, 2013
    Probably much more enjoyable on the big screen -- and I'm sure it would have been more enjoyable for a comic book aficionado. But its appearance on some of the critics' "best" lists made me curious. Campy costumes and a primary-colored plot (to the extent that there was one) made it fun in spots, but for me could not make up for the cheesy dialogue and silly story. Robert Downey Jr. had most of the best lines and wittily made good use of them; his performance definitely was the highlight. Expand
  16. Jan 6, 2013
    This movie was just bad. I love Joss Whedon but he needs a guy sitting over him while he is writing to tell him his jokes aren't funny. They chose the storyline that doesn't connect with the others on the least likeable character. All the other avengers are really good at something or science gave them powers but Thor is just a heavy handed dueche that has powers because of the cop out that he is a god. There were redeeming factors due to the Sp. Effects and Scarlett Johanson's butt. Expand
  17. Jan 5, 2013
    Got to be the best movie i saw in 2012. Great cast a very simplistic but decent story and some good dialogue. One of the things i like about this film and it gets so right is a GREAT final battle in the last 45 minutes which just looks amazing. alot of theese comic book movie films have theese crap 1-2 minute ones that are just so lame and anticlimactic that it almost makes the movie feel like a waste. The one problem is though you have a great team of super heroes fighting one guy names loki and his army of Alien things. would have been so much cooler if it was a team of villians. Oh well for Avengers 2 then hopefully. Other then that don't waste your time seeing this in 3D . This was my first 3D movie i rented for my 3D TV and the 3D just felt tacked on outside of a few moments when it looked cool. Avengers in the end has to be the best Comic book to movie out there so far. Expand
  18. Jan 5, 2013
    The Avengers is shockingly phony, corny and cheesy. The movie is extremely clumsy with too many characters with all their personal backgrounds. The story and movie completely fall apart wth the lack of chemistry between any of the superheros. An action spectacle wth very little to show for.
  19. Jan 3, 2013
    This is one of the most overrated movies I've seen this year. A weak and predictable plot masked by tons of action and great special effects. Limited character development also made it difficult to be invested in any of the characters. A waste of a good cast.
  20. Jan 1, 2013
    Why do you want a heavy-weight storyline when you have The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America etc.. and enough bad guys to beat up! Sit back and enjoy, goes easy on the brains.
  21. Dec 31, 2012
    great fun must watch movie for all those who likes super heroes.Incredible way to accommodate 6 heroes in a single movie although character of Tony and Hulk was overshadowing but thats the way it is..
  22. Dec 31, 2012
    This is a very silly movie that is Swiss-cheese full of holes. If your thing is Marvel comic books, and you really want to see eponymous figures from the various comics come together then... this is for you I guess (unless having heroes pointlessly bickering to create faux dramatic tension gets on your nerves).

Its got some spectacle I suppose. Silly spectacle that ultimately makes no
    sense (flying, invisible aircraft carrier that is vulnerable when flying, typically doesn't bother engaging invisibility, has nuclear missiles but can only launch them... from other aircraft... Hell the entire carrier almost gets taken out by an... exploding arrow... Christ). Get drunk if you are going to try and watch this film - it really, really helps. Expand
  23. Dec 30, 2012
    Like all good superhero movies, its a slow buildup to great action. Unlike bad superhero movies, its incredibly well-acted without being too dark or too whimsical.
  24. Dec 28, 2012
    After dozens of teasers hidden in each of the heroes individual movies The Avengers is finally here, and it doesn't disappoint. It's filled with draw dropping action, and some hilarious moments. Every superhero is excellently fleshed out and work well together, and no hero receives more attention than another. It excellently captures the feel of each individual hero as well as show some new sides of their personalities. The Avengers is everything I wanted it to be, and I don't see how it could have turned out any better. It's one of the best superhero movies of all time. Expand
  25. Dec 25, 2012
    Hawkeye, Black Widow just doesn't fit right in the avengers, the threat which is beyond any well trained human abilities just cannot be mitigated with special bows and guns... don't see what these 2 have done that could not be done with any regular army soldier. I didn't like the ending they made it too easy, a LARGE invading army coming from another dimension with advanced weapons and technology should not be easily beaten, I want the avengers to win ofcourse but it should have been harder for them and the drama could have easily been harder (Loki is just weak for someone with his powers). Still I recommend the movie it is fun! Expand
  26. Dec 25, 2012
    Pedestrian pacing, clichéd dialogue and a generic plot. Yes, it's a super-hero movie; an over-hyped, big-budget, disengage your brain and chew your popcorn series of action sequences littered with painfully two-dimensional cardboard cut-out characters (with exception to Ruffalo's Hulk, arguably the only decent part of the film). One of the trailers preceding the film was advertising toys; there's your target audience: children. Expand
  27. Dec 16, 2012
    Now 6 years ago when Iron Man hit the big screens we were promised the Avengers. Now the problem I thought I was going to have with this movie was that there were too many characters to base the whole movie on , but the director Joss Whedon does an excellent job with bringing all these characters together. When it is a scene with Iron Man played by Robert Downey Jr it is all about Iron Man. When it is a scene with Captain America played bey Chris Evans it is all about Captain America. The character that surprised me the most was Loki played by Tom Hiddleston. He was a dark villain in Thor and now he is an even darker villain in the Avengers. He is just so bad ass with his chitari army. This movie is 2 hours long and it feels like half an hour because it is so thrilling and intense. Avengers Assemble is MARVELous. Expand
  28. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    Well, it's The Avengers. I shouldn't have to say more. But I will.

I haven't seen the superhero movies leading up to this. I've only seen the Hulk sequel (the Edward Norton one), Iron Man, and Thor. While there were times when I was lost, I could follow this movie's plot. I need to seen Iron Man 2 since it has Nick Fury and Black Widow.

LOKI! I'm not one of those crazy obsessive Loki
    fangirls, but I loved Loki in this movie. That being said, I still found it hilarious when the Hulk picked him up and slammed him around. Funniest part of the movie.

What's good about this movie is that it strikes a good balance between comedy and drama. Joss Whedon knows the Avengers don't need the Dark Knight treatment and wisely did not go that route. But wasn't unbelievably cartoony and silly either. It knew when to be serious and when to make the audience laugh.

The characters were fun and each actor played the role well. Hawkeye didn't get much to do but it it got Jeremy Renner in a tight outfit. Good enough for me! The newest addition to the cast was Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk. He fit the role unbelievably well. Makes sense since Ruffalo has proven time and again that he's a fantastic actor.

There isn't much else for me to say about this. See it if you haven't already.

One more thing: Coulson lives!
  29. Dec 7, 2012
    I found absolutely nothing wrong with this movie, the character backgrounds/back stories may not have been explained, but it was said in the previous movies before this one. THE EPICEST MOVIE EVER (so far) in my opinion, 10(.5)/10
  30. Dec 5, 2012
    I loved this movie! I saw it 3 times in theaters and I'm not ashamed to admit that. The reason I liked this film so much was because it was everything it could and should have been; for a blockbuster, that's a mighty accomplishment...(Full Review Later)...
  31. Dec 4, 2012
    My most honest opinion as a Marvel fan: this movie is an absolute piece of garbage and overrated as hell. It's just as dumb and moronic as Bay's Transformers by only focusing on big budget special effects and random silly jokes. I give it a 2/10 because Mark Ruffalo was the only good thing about this film otherwise it would have been a 0/10.

It's good for little kids but those 3D
    animated movies have much more depth than The Avengers. This movie could lower theirs and your IQ. Expand
  32. Nov 30, 2012
    Marvel has always dominated the superhero movie genre, and with its giant marketing buildup to this film, it's easy to see how this could have become one of cinema's tragic flops. But oh no. "The Avengers" is THE superhero movie of all superhero movies. It's got fantastic, epic action, breathtaking visual effects, and a very strongly-written story packed with thrills and truly hilarious moments. Each character gets their moments in the sun, each gets their own story arc, we see them fight each other and with each other, and ultimately it all comes together for a completely satisfying 5-star experience that really raises the bar for all superhero flicks to come. Expand
  33. Nov 28, 2012
    A glowing example of what action movies should be like - a perfect blend of intelligence and thrills.
  34. Nov 24, 2012
    The Avengers is first culmination of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and makes history as it is the first big screen film that brings together Marvel's cinematic heros and is a direct sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor. Plot: Loki (Tom Hiddleston) accquires the mysterious power of the Tesseract which is capable of possessing the human heart and almost anything else. Nick Fury, director of Shield (Samuel Jackson) brings together The Avengers for the first time in an attempt to prevent Loki from terrorizing Earth. Captain America: Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) has just been thawed out after being frozen for 67 years and has not aged but has forever lost the love of his life through time and is dedicated to the protection of his country, he plays the mature Captain of The Avengers and is the voice of reason. Iron Man: Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) is a billionaire and owner of Stark Industries. After creating his new arc reactor for his heart, he has expanded its size and created Stark Tower which is a prototype to test off his most cost effiecient source of energy. He plays the comedy relief and one of the most intelligent of The Avengers. The Incredible Hulk: Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) had gone back into hiding after he aided the US army in defeating the Abomination. When he is forced to become a Shield scientist, he must learn to control his anger in order to not become a hazard. He plays the hot head, and one of the most intelligent of The Avengers. Thor(Chris Hemsworth): After destroying the rainbow bridge connecting the realm of Earth to Asgard, Odin casts dark magic in order to send Thor back to Earth in order to persuade Loki that although he will never be King or the true Odinson, he will always be part of the family. He plays the most serious Avenger for Loki is the main reason he was sent back to Earth, and the power Loki wields threatens the safety of the nine realms which is his responsibility as King of Asgard. Black Widow: Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson) is an agent of Shield who is trained to be a master of disguise and flexible combat. She plays the sexy, yet troubled Avenger. Hawkeye: Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) is an agent of Shield who is trained to have perfect accuracy with his bow and arrow. Early on however, Loki possess him which makes him a part of his army. He plays the Avenger gone bad. My opinion: This is movie history in one of its finest forms. It is a must see even if you haven't seen the tie in movies which I would definintly reccomend before watching this masterpiece. Expand
  35. Nov 13, 2012
    There are a lot of people giving this movie a perfect ten out of ten. This is understandable, but only if you are going into it thinking its a family movie. The Avengers is relatively tame, contains cheap, slapstick humor (take the Captain America trading cards for example), and the plot is extremely simple and easy to follow. Though these detract from the movie in my personal opinion, there are some upsides if you are like me and prefer a more complex action movie. The special effects are amazing, the cast is, for the most part, star studded, and if you have invested time in the other movies leading up to The Avengers there are references that reward the viewer. That being said, if you are either going as a family, or a fan of the other movie, you will enjoy The Avengers. However, if you were not interested in the past movies leading up to The Avengers and are looking for a complex, non-linear plot, than this may not be the movie for you. Expand
  36. Nov 13, 2012
    HULK SMASH!

The beginning of the film is quite slow but the 2nd half is pure action. For some reason i didnt expect much from this film and boy was i surprised by the end of it. Excellent film and i cant wait for part 2. Before watching this film you have to see all the marvel films from iron man 1 onwards and all the little easter eggs/cameos in them just to enjoy this film more!
  37. Nov 9, 2012
    Every single thing about this movie is beautiful. I have actually lost count of how many times I have seen it, and it really is that rewatchable. The acting is awesome, the writing is HILARIOUS, and the action scenes are, for lack of a better word, epic. That said, this is not a movie for those who love "serious" film. It's a lighthearted action-y superhero movie. If you go into it expecting Shakespeare, you're obviously going to come out disappointed. Things blow up. Scarlett Johansson is in a catsuit. Tony snarks. ...it's really just perfect. Expand
  38. Nov 9, 2012
    I finally saw Avengers the other night. I was expecting so much more from Joss Whedon. Where were the deep conflicted characters and the witty dialogue that I'm used to from Firefly and Buffy? This movie was too much like Transformers. It was way too heavy on action and special effects, with little to no character development. Also, I just can't get past how cheesy the costumes were, especially the villain's. I mean what was with those ridiculous horns?? I fell asleep about 6 times during the movie and kept waking myself up because I was waiting for it to get good. It just never happened. With all the amazing writers out there struggling for work why are we having to put up with this crap on the silver screen? Expand
  39. Nov 7, 2012
    I was exhausted at the end of this movie. The Avengers is a nonstop high speed roller coaster ride. I must admit I was never a fan of the comic book which always kind of read like the comics version of the Allstar game and their are some cheesy moments like Iron Mans AC-DC theme music (we get it already). Whedon somehow turns the swashbuckling superhero movie into a brutal gritty slugfest. At the end you feel as beat up as the combatants. Well done. Expand
  40. Nov 5, 2012
    Whedon's Avengers is very entertaining. The dialogue is snappy when present, and the visual effects are great, but in the end, sensation trumps feeling.
  41. Oct 14, 2012
    Less than impressed with this film given its stellar reviews upon release. It is one of those not so rare cases of style over substance, the style being fight scenes and blowing stuff up before coming to an inevitable conclusion of saving the world together and going their separate ways. The attempts at comedy are laboured and obviously, like the film, directed at a popcorn chomping audience where films are to be enjoyed with minds switched off. The emotional climaxes in the film also seemed contrived and insincere, as is the case with many big budget films lacking in story and human connection. Firstly are we really meant to care about agent coulson dying merely because we are told 20 minutes before he died he ideolized captain america? And secondly what is the point in pretending to kill off iron man when all of the audience has seen that moment in the trailer a million times when the hulk catches iron man out of the sky and destroys a building in the process? Obviously they were not going to sacrifice a main character in this kind of a film when the secondary ones will suffice for audience emotional interaction. Joss Whedon, a genius, really? Expand
  42. Oct 14, 2012
    I really tried to love this film but when the plot holes are beyond obvious it is hard and unexplained actions were even worse. Half of S.H.I.E.L.D didn't even need to be there. It didn't stop it being enjoyable. Robert Downey Jr. was the highlight of this film. Still worth watching.
  43. Oct 8, 2012
    A perfectly average superhero movie...

I didn't see this for a while and some friends hyped it up as the best thing ever. I was pretty disappointed to begin with, because at the start there are some problems with the main characters. With having so many it was bound to happen... but still, it just doesn't feel right and I can't put my finger on it. Having said that, later on it gets
    better... much better. The characters find their niches and they come to life. I was just hoping they'd be a bit more interesting beforehand. They contrast nicely and work better than in their own films at times. There are some great action sequences and some memorable moments and it's all very fun. It's just not very complicated at all. I was expecting more a X-Men First Class or Watchmen vibe to it. (I know that was a silly idea now)

The problem is that you'd expect a film like this to blow you away and really immerse you, but honestly I turned it off halfway through and came back to it. Where as with First Class I watched it start to finish and then went back to some scenes again because it was soooo bad-ass. It takes a while to get going and then never really goes anywhere *that* interesting once it does. This is probably because the whole point of the film was to bring the avengers together and set them up for a sequel. If that's it then fair play, good film, point made. But First Class did that AND gave the guys something pretty interesting to do and also make some bold claims about sociology. ( I do love and highly recommend that film)

All in all it's alright. If you are going to see it, you've probably seen it by now. If not, catch it on Sky Movies in a few months or something when you're bored because it's not that special. On the other hand if you fancy a very good superhero-group origin film, with some top acting, interesting characters and a bit more depth... watch X-Men First Class.
  44. Oct 5, 2012
    Joss Whedon's widely influenced summer spectacular offers 130 minutes of popcorn-friendly fun, yet fails to deliver anything more than run-of-the-mill escapist entertainment. Tom Hiddleston is superb as Shakespearian villain Loki and Mark Ruffallo gives The Hulk some heart, yet the film's character development is minimal, its plot slow and formulaic, and its screenplay drizzled in gooey one-liners and excessive fanboy cream. Things pick up a little during the final act, but even a swooping, snarling Manhattan sky-battle isn't enough to save The Avengers from feeling bloated and underwhelming. Expand
  45. Oct 4, 2012
    I have no idea why this has been panned so much by the Critics on this site. It's probably one of the best Superhero movies to date. Funny, all action with some brilliant performances by the cast, I can't help wondering why the hell this only scored 69. Still, at least the real film buffs understand (i.e those that do user reviews). I can't help thinking that so many critics only write reviews in a bid to draw attention to themselves instead of actually giving honest assessments of films and games.

Anyway, ignore the Critic Score and just get this movie. It's not too serious and it's highly enjoyable!
  46. Oct 3, 2012
    This is the way 3D should be displayed on every 3D TV with the proper Aspect Ratio of 1.78:1 which will fill the whole screen without the horrible "black bars". That alone makes this release one of the best ones on 3D.

The Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 takes this movie in 3D to a whole new level without the annoying "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen.

Usually I don't mind those
    "black bars" on 2D viewing, maybe because we are all used to it by now, plus it doesn't take anything away...BUT ON 3D viewing this is the complete opposite. WHY SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT THIS ASPECT RATIO?:
    For those of us who already hated the so called "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen while watching a regular movie, this is really bad for 3D Home viewers, as this WILL TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT MAKES 3D WORTH THE PURCHASE TO BEGIN WITH, minimizing the effect by a big percentage, unless you have a 80" 3D TV which I'm pretty such most of us don't have.

SO WHAT'S THE "APPROPRIATE" ASPECT RATIO THAT SHOULD BE IN 3D HOME MOVIES?
    Most 3D movies right now are NOT being released with the desirable Aspect Ratio that will fill the whole screen giving you the whole 3D effect BUT movies like Wrath Of The Titans, and the soon to be released AVATAR 3D, are some of the very few that could display with an average Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 WHICH WILL take advantage of your New 3D TV as you expected to display from day one.

With that said, This movie fortunately does support that type of Aspect Ratio which is completely worth spending the extra few dollars on the 3D Bluray version. Even with an enormous TV set you wouldn't want to watch a 3D movie with the black bars because...the bigger the TV, the bigger the "black bars" .

ABOUT THE MOVIE:
    I did LOVE this movie when I went to see in IMAX 3D, I think it had a good use of the technology. STORY: This is certainly the BEST comic to film translation, and yes, I did like Batman the Dark Knight Rises, but not as much as this one. SPECIAL EFFECTS: The special effects although not groundbreaking they were certainly eye-candy, and what really makes it stand out from the pack is how well the director and his team were able to put everything together and make it look Amazing all around...AND EVEN BETTER IN BLURAY 3D AND ITS AMAZING 1.77:1 ASPECT RATIO TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE ENTIRE SCREEN.

If you have a 3D TV and a 3D BluRay player, this movie will certainly make you proud of that investment...I know it did for me.
  47. Sep 30, 2012
    Very overrated movie. The story was not as good as other super hero movies like batman but the action kept it alive. Worth seeing but don't expect it to blow your mind.
  48. Sep 30, 2012
    The Avengers is a fun summer blockbuster, as it should be. It's a movie that fulfills its purpose, it doesn't tries to be dark, like many films these days, its just a flick that blends comedy and action, and The Avengers does that perfectly.
  49. Sep 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I had heard a lot about this movie. Heard it was possibly the best film of all time from some people. There's certainly been plenty of noise about The Avengers - from Marvel aficionados to old fashioned action movie fans. Fun, fast-paced, boundary-breaking, smart, genre-redefining...? Hm.

I'll grant some of that. It IS fast, it IS visually impressive, and it does have passable humour, but ultimately it's a vacuous piece. It is stuffed at the beginning with superfluous padding to provide a reason to draw together hitherto mutually exclusive superheroes. This distracts from the overal theme of the movie of mindless action. Mindless? Let's have a villain want to rule a world he clearly has no interest in through the assistance of an ally (of dubious loyalty) that also has no interest in the Earth but rather in the "Doomsday Device". Lol, jk; the aliens actually want to blow up New York taxis, and never bother ever attempting to obtain, protect or use the Doomsday Device in any way other way other than as an excuse for their taxi destruction antics. But hey; any excuse for cool explosions man! Want a aircraft carrier. Sure. Hell let's make it fly. So it's not a ship but an aircraft... carrying aircraft. Oh, and let's have it invisible. Actually... perhaps scratch the invisibility. Continuity error? Who'll notice! Sure, the aircraft command centre is only an excuse to have a localised firefight! For this purpose we will also have a high-security prison cell, nuclear research facility, weapons R&D and an army barracks on board. Sure why else would you have the supervillan, the Hulk, and the enemy's most powerful weapon all located at the centre of your command HQ? However, luckily for the good guys Bruce Banner for no reason presented on screen manages to work out how to control his Hulk form for the duration of the film. Continuity error? Ah, hell, we want to see the Hulk smashing bad guys, right?

Don't get me wrong; the fight sequences are cool, even though I would have preferred a universe where the US military existed in some shape or form (apparently the flying aircraft carriers also holds the entire stockpile of US nukes as well). The villains always seem outclassed; having only one named character who is no match even for his (adoptive) brother alone, let alone a whole posse of superheroes. Robert Downey Jr certainly buoys up the mood of the film, and some neat quips provide some laughs, but the Avengers is an entirely forgettable, if inoffensive, lights and noise affair. Worth a casual watch, particularly if drunk and with friends.
  50. Sep 30, 2012
    I grew up reading Marvel comic books and I love the way they are being brought back to life. We need heroes in the times we have today. We do have heroes they are the men and women of The United States Armed Forces. Thank you...
    Demmi Moore said it best in one of her early films. ''They Are The Ones That Stand on The Wall to Make sure We Are Safe''.
  51. Sep 29, 2012
    A great movie, which knows what it is and what it wants to accomplish. Though the plot was pretty simple and very straight forward (aliens comes in, humans kick their asses) but the thing that made it work is that the plot was very close to the comic books (which exactly what this movie achieved) and the fact that characters were polished and three dimensional.
    The visuals and the art
    direction was very enjoyable and an amazing food for imagination. Action was breath taking and at parts very inventive. The antagonist of the film Loki was intimidating and interesting.
    Overall, great story, great script, great characters, great visuals and action. This movie achieved almost everything it wanted - a good comic book movie about the Avengers. Check it out
  52. Sep 24, 2012
    This was a very nice movie for one and only reason. All those heroes from the action movies are all in one It's really to much to handle! The plot had some twists too although it was nothing we hadn't seen before. I enjoyed some humorous scenes too and also the conflict of the different characters in the group like iron man and captain america. To sum up this movie is a very entertaining superhero movie, one of the best out there although it doesn't have that something to trully make it legendary! Expand
  53. Sep 20, 2012
    Brilliant mix of story, humour and action. Superheros the way they should be for all the family. Not as dark and nasty as recent batman movies. Not as soap opera as spiderman.
  54. Sep 17, 2012
    Avengers is the BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER!
  55. Sep 12, 2012
    I usually give points for trying. I am not sure who tried to make this movie good, except critics and varied audiences. Extremely jerky plotline, at times it seems like I am watching a commercial for seven upcoming movies. In no way do any of the cast, save for Downey, represent what I would call acting. Johanssen is awkward to look at, seemingly too chubby to look viable as any sort of action actress, and again tends to float in and out of her lines. Hemsworth/Thor gives a good turn, yet he just isn't given much to work with. It is like watching a bad soap opera for teenage boys. Too silly and too cheesy to sit longer than a half hour through. I wanted to like this, set aside time and can pretty much say it falls flat. Expand
  56. Sep 11, 2012
    Ok, the start was really slow and boring for me, some part were good, the acting was good, but it's just the actors seemed to made me board in this film but i did like them when they were in there own movies, most of the movie is on a ship, they is not much set changes in this film, the actor who plays the hulk was replaced by a bad actor. just this movie was very bad, i watched it like 10 times and as much as I've tried to like it i just don't like it Expand
  57. Sep 7, 2012
    Excellent film, perfect in every way for me. It is definitely as cool as you think it's going to be seeing as Joss Whedon has an obvious love for all of these characters and a understanding of what each of them special. It's a long old movie too, around 2.30 hours which gives you plenty of story but also plenty of action. The action is very special too, amazing effects and an inventive way of displaying the action. The characters are fleshed out as much as they need to be, but the main focus here is action action action, lovely. Whedon's probably the best thing about Hollywood at the moment. Expand
  58. Sep 1, 2012
    Joss Whedon creates a fun blockbuster with a huge ensemble cast that most directors would screw up. Not a great film but it sure is fun for it's 2 and a half hour running time.
  59. Sep 1, 2012
    An incredible movie.The characters are Iron Man,Hulk,Thor,Captain America,Black Widow and Nick Fury.Featuring Loki.Incredible visual effects.Good movie.I liked the journey to Germany.
  60. Aug 30, 2012
    Very good movie.
    Cons: The flying fortress should be what it's name says, a FORTRESS which is impregnable!!! That said, it did not shoot a single round in a whole movie AND they let a rouge aircraft approach it (radar anyone, code 7 alert?), shoot at it and blow it's engine!!!
  61. Aug 28, 2012
    The intro is a little rough but the rest of the movie goes rather smoothly and it ends up a pretty good film and one that is definently worth watching. I enjoyed it.
  62. Aug 28, 2012
    The Avengers: A messy film that does little to appeal to the non pre-existing comic fans. Struggles to fit a coherent narrative between the action scenes.

While action is pretty, The Avengers never seems to quite know what to do with so many main characters. Making huge assumptions that the viewer already knows each character's arc, they bypass any arc entirely and just have them
    fighting a lot.

Even Transformers 3, a movie I found very messy and tough to watch, manages to have a pretty coherent and linear story, that just tries to do a few things too many. But The Avengers seems to decide to leave behind linearity and a character arcs, and just let chaos happen.

The best Marvel film for me is still Iron Man, as it plays with strong character arcs, a progressive and interesting plot, with a sense of 'realistic' special effects and the 'super hero' notion is dialled down a bit.

If you want super hero movies with a plot, try Batman Begins, The Watchmen Director's Cut, and to a more minimal extent Superman 2: Donner Cut.
  63. D__
    Aug 27, 2012
    Very good action sequences and had more character development than the previous installments...
    However of all the recent, undeserved films getting a 2 pt. treatment this feels like one that definitely deserved it and would have been very beneficial.
    I felt as if they started to develop a plot - about the team being manipulated - then left it.
    Maybe in the sequel.
  64. Aug 24, 2012
    It IS a good movie if you're a Marvel fan, but otherwise there's not much to it. The "story" is as simple as it gets and the action scenes are so big and so frequent that it fails to impress after a while. It's all about explosions and one-liners and superheroes beating up bad guys, and if that's enough for you... well, great. For me it isn't.
  65. Aug 23, 2012
    The only time I review movies on this site is when I see a spectacular movie. But this one just blew me away. Previously only watched Iron Man and Hulk I didn't know what else to expect apart from a mechanical suit and an angry gamma radiated monster. With the addition of 4 other superb characters it turned Avengers into a superb showpiece. The directing was appropriate for the given task and gave audience the feeling that you're part of this mission to save the world. Special effects and action makes this ANOTHER one of those superhero movies, but is it really worth the hype. It certainly is and the box office proves it too. Expand
  66. Aug 22, 2012
    Style, substance, and a f**k ton of ass-slamming action, the Avengers delivers. If you don't like superhero movies, or have been let down by previous marvel/dc efforts, then you may be skeptical or biased, but the talents of Whedon and co. were truly harnessed to produce a mass amorphus of brilliance. Being a skeptic myself, and listening to mixed reviews, it look me a long time to come around and give this a go, but this film surpassed my low expectations and didn't just raise the bar for action, style, comedic intercession and witty screenplay, it blasted the aforementioned into the fourth dimension!! Expand
  67. Aug 21, 2012
    This movie was amazing, anyone giving it less than a 5 is completely tasteless. This was exactly what it was supposed to be. A funny, action packed, special effect, comic book, nerdgasm. The story line was just enough to keep the storyline boys interested, it makes great use of the previous story lines well. It makes sure to stay true to the root of all the heros.
  68. Aug 19, 2012
    I really liked The Avengers, the comedy mixed with the action made it a great movie, however I didn't like how Black Widow was part of it, she just stood there in that circle with her little skimpy outfit and little pistol while you see the rest of the avengers standing there looking powerful, as if she was just there for show. I'd definitely pay to watch The Hulk smash Loki into the ground multiple times again though. Expand
  69. Aug 19, 2012
    THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME! Great story, action, drama, I was engrossed from the beginning to the end! It had some great comedy in it and RDJ was in pure form. I'm glad I paid to see this one!
  70. Aug 17, 2012
    The best superhero movie ever made! The acting is top notch and the story is fantastic. Joss Whedon did an excellent job. It's hard to express how completely awesome this movie is.
  71. Aug 16, 2012
    Maybe the most hyped movie ever, considering the 4 or 5 movies that started the journey. Overall The Avengers delivers. One of the biggest question marks going in was how do you put this many characters in a film and keep the story cohesive. At no point during this movie did I feel that a character was being used in a negative way. The story flowed naturally and the dialogue was fun and light. The action looked amazing faithful to the characters and most importantly entertaining. This is the best pure summer popcorn movie to come along in a while. Expand
  72. Aug 14, 2012
    fun, enjoyable and entertaining. Do I have to say any more?
    If you are willing to see an amusing movie, you won't regret seeing The Avengers, and thats it, The Avengers is an awesome movie.
  73. Aug 12, 2012
    This movie is the mix of all the hero that we like but in my opinion they focus on iron man which is good because i like the iron man and in this movie we now know about the hawk eye and other from S.H.I.E.L.D Which help those four heroes protect the earth the scene in movie that i like is the fighting scene in new york which start from black widow then moving to the iron man flying to Captain America and then hawk eye and Hulk and Thor that really cool if we talk about Thor i want him to show more power in this movie too. He\'s god man he has a huge power to fight those Loki\'s army that all i can tell you this movie is awesome Expand
  74. Aug 10, 2012
    While the action scenes are breath-taking, Whedon has trouble juggling the litany of characters ingrained in the story, leaving it, overall, thinly plotted and surprisingly predictable.
  75. Aug 7, 2012
    Amazing, this movie was by far one of my favorite super hero movies, even though the plot was a little basic, the relationship between Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Hulk was awesome. It's not like any of them were left out either, they all served a purpose, they all were in it just as much as everyone else. The Avengers was everything I had hoped for, an awesome funny actionpacked blockbuster movie that will stand the test of time. Joss Whedon who cowrote toy story was set to direct this and I have to say he did a fantastic job. The action scenes were amazing, the acting was off the charts and this was just great. An outstanding movie. Expand
  76. Aug 6, 2012
    The review of a marvel ultimate movie "The Avengers", This movie was freaking amazing! Joss Weldon did an awesome job on this movie! This was my fav!!
  77. Aug 4, 2012
    Awesome Film!!!! Held a great amount of imagination and excitement that you don't see all the time. Had a lot of laughs more than I expected for an action movie. Met higher than the expectations I had. Gathering wonderful characters and a terrific story plot.
  78. Aug 4, 2012
    Great movie, it's nice to have six movies (2 iron mans, 2 hulks, thor and capt. america) leading up to it, it will be fun to sit down and them all again , I hope Joss Whedon comes back for a couple more of these, it beats making amazing tv shows that get cancelled way to soon (looking at you fire fly, and dollhouse)
  79. Aug 1, 2012
    Great movie. Funny, good action, good effects. Ruffalo surpassed Bana and Norton in the role of the Hulk. A good conclusion to the first saga of Marvel movies, and makes me wanting more and more.
  80. Jul 31, 2012
    This film is every little boy's dream: All your favorite Marvel superheros coming together. For the most part, it works very well. The characters have distinct personalities and are a lot of fun to watch, especially when it comes to settling their differences. This is one of those movies that is more about action than drama. There are a lot of scenarios that look like they were taken directly from a comic book, and for a move that's based on a comic book, it adds a great sense of authenticity. Is there anything I don't like about this film? There are quite a few things that prevent it from being perfect, but there are so many moments where you cheer for you favorite heroes that any flaws you come across quickly become irrelevant. In other words, you find yourself in such a huge world of action fantasies that it manages to distract you from everything else. The Avengers is simply an ensemble like no other. Expand
  81. Jul 27, 2012
    The best superhero movie ever? Not even close. Do NOT believe the hype with this film, it is simply a lot of hot air. Poor acting - check - there are a few brief moments mainly by Eric Banner
    Poorly paced - check - unbelievably clunky beginning then into CGI battle after CGI battle - yawn.
    Poor dialogue - check - this is my biggest annoyance. Whedon is meant to be great at dialogue.
    Where did it go so wrong here? Well this little line sums it up - whats the plan of attack? i have a plan. attack. Yeah its that cheesy. Some people are trying to defend the title of it being a mindless popcorn flick by trying to see things that are not there. This happens in any film where it really is as shallow as it looks. There are some nice glances between characters but it is all so contrived and unrealistic its hard to feel anything for it. When the characters are over being spoilt brats there is the coming together period which is meant to be one of the key character moments in an otherwise disappointing display. It's fair to say it falls short, again feeling contrived and unconvincing. DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE - this film is poor, at absolute best its around 4/10. I am giving it a 1/10 for a number of reasons. 1 - the number of 10/10 is ridiculous not many films deserve 10/10 and this film certainly does not. 2 - the hype lead me to believe this film would be incredible, its not, this caused great disappointment for me. As other top critics have said this film is shallow and a fun popcorn flick. If you like comic books then its almost certainly for you. If however you like intelligent film making with well developed characters which is well paced - go watch something else. Expand
  82. Jul 25, 2012
    Avengers is for dumb people, or those that want to be entertained by a bunch of nonsense. We should ask more from Hollywood then the same retreads just on a larger scale.
  83. Jul 25, 2012
    This movie right here. One of the best experiences I've had in a movie theater. The dialogue was witty and the characters very well-written. Joss Whedon did a phenomenal job. As far as movies go, this was one of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen. Though far more than just action, once it gets going, it is so good. The action-packed final 30 minutes are some of the best sequences I've seen on film. The Avengers, to me, is the new gold standard for comic book movies. It doesn't get much better than this. Expand
  84. Jul 24, 2012
    Joss Whedon a thespian of the TV world directs his first big budget studio backed super hero movie bringing together some of the most iconic Super Heroes of the Marvel Comics universe. In my personal opinion the movie falls short of the promise it held with the recently successful Iron-Man, Thor and Captain America who all come together as The Avengers a special task force
  85. Jul 22, 2012
    I just watched what was one of the single greatest movies I have ever seen. The Avengers is THE best superhero movie I have EVER seen. I am just stunned. That movie was SO worth the wait. "Hulk... SMASH!"

It is going to be so hard for any other movie released this summer to top The Avengers let a lone any superhero movie that will ever be released from this point on. The Avengers has
    completely raised the bar. That was a hell of a way to kick of The Summer Blockbuster Season Marvel! Bravo Marvel, bravo!

For those of you who have not yet seen Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger but want to go see The Avengers this weekend, you could technically see it without seing the other movies but you will just end up hurting your enjoyment of the movie. One of the best things about The Avengers is seeing all of these amazing characters, each with there own standalone film, come together in this truly epic movie. Do yourself a favor and check those 5 movies before rushing off to go see The Avengers. It will be SO worth it in the end.
  86. Jul 21, 2012
    The story was horrid in this movie, it felt very lazy. There was never any inclination that the good guys could lose, or even injured; it made for a very flat, anticlimactic story. That's my biggest gripe, but not my only one. Even knowing the backstory of all the characters from previous movies, I just really didn't care about any of them in this one. The characters were written poorly and it was just compounded by the bad acting. Every scene that had Scarlett Johanson in it was painful to watch. The only character I was even remotely interested in was Bruce Banner / Hulk. This would be a great movie to take an 8 year old to. They would have no problem glazing over the shallow characters and lethargic plot. Expand
  87. Jul 21, 2012
    Generic and predictable plot. Some characters like Black Widow and Hawkeye were uneeded. Although, it does have some nice and expensive special effects and okay action scenes.
  88. Jul 21, 2012
    Explosions and gags... Wrestlemania is better in this fields... Avengers is the worst movie of superheros of the history, because dont have story. Only Downey Jr. brings some emocion, all the rest are littles and poors.
  89. Jul 21, 2012
    Very bad movie. It's like i was watching transformers.... My favorite marvel movie is x-men first class... this avengers is not good at all. I hope iron man 3 be better!
  90. Jul 21, 2012
    This movie was a lot of talking, mainly just arguing between the Avengers. The Antagonist is nothing to fear, and there is no doubt in the viewer's head that he will be defeated with ease. The gigantically long and redundant battle scene against the monster things wasn't special because every alien thing was the same and there was nothing special about them. Robert Downey, Jr. was the best part of the movie. His portrayal of Tony Stark was great and humorous. Captain America was boring and annoying at times. I don't understand the hype at all. It was "all right" at best. Expand
  91. Jul 21, 2012
    Literally greatest comic book movie to date. And this is even having watched The Dark Knight Rises just last night to solidify my claim. A movie that never loses it's sense of heroes and the act of heroism is just as glorious as it is sacrificial. It is something to be cheered, not something to be mourned. A superhero film that actually follows the essence of a comic book instead of cower away from it in fear of fantasy. Expand
  92. Jul 21, 2012
    Ok. Firstly, I've got to say that I had a good time watching The Avengers. There were some interesting moments and liners that even I still remember up to now. Robert Downey Jr. did well as Tony Stark/Ironman and I seriously can't imagine that character is played by another actor. Mark Ruffalo also stole the show. From the beginning until some moments before the ending you could witness how tense he was. He seemed to think that as if he was a nuke that could just blow out at anytime. In short, in term of the characters, I think that there was no flaws at all. The characters were delivered superbly.
    However, just like most superhero movies, I found out that I actually don't care about the faith of each character. I had already known that every single main character would survive the day even before I started watching it. As a result, I felt no personal feelings toward the characters. I wasn't afraid that by the end of the movie Ironman would probably die nor I couldn't care less about Hawkeye and Black Widow's relationship. Apart from Bruce Banner character, I felt that I wasn't attached to the characters. They were all flat. And the way I see it, there is always a minus point in watching a movie that you know that the major characters will just survive: There is no tension. I ain't commenting on the story since this movie is not for the hardcore audience;this one is aimed into family teritory. Thus, the flaws in the story and the 'too-much-focus-on-the-effects-is all fine.
    I recommend this movie to those who want to have a good time. Prepare some food and watch it with your family. You'll surely have a good time.
  93. Jul 20, 2012
    A very fun film, I enjoyed it a LOT. I can't express in words how fun it was. It's great, not much to really say... ummm except that maybe it will be pretty outdated in 20 years... This is the Batman 89 of Marvel. It's a very conventional team action movie but a very well made film as well.

★ ★ ★ ★ (was originally gonna post 3.5/5 but I really liked this film
    soo..... 4/5 for me :D) Expand
  94. Jul 20, 2012
    MI hermano lo vio y diji - que les pasa yo no quiero ver a hulk en bikini, yoprefiero ver el club de la pelea o algo asi- me imaginaba que no le gustaria por que brilla de infantil esta pelicula.
  95. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. load of horse **** lit on fire and put out with a hack saw ..............................****TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT..............................
    ****
  96. Jul 19, 2012
    Probably one of the worst movies i have ever seen. Only Tony Stark and Bruce Banner seemed developed. The storyline was dull and boring. The finale took forever. The "come together" moment was completely terrible. Hawkeye barely got any screen time. Unoriginal storyline creates a power rangers for adults. Mindless action that had no meaning makes this one of the worst Marvel movies of all time. The only good parts about this were the special effects (which had no meaning because of the terrible script, unoriginal storyline, and mediocre acting) and the only developed character, the Hulk. If you want a real movie, skip "Marvel's The Avengers". Expand
  97. Jul 17, 2012
    Joss Whedon certainly delivers. This is crucial, because this is where five different films intersect. None of the heroes outshine their teammates the fight scenes are eye-candy, and the witty dialogue and humor will satisfy both comic book nerds and average movie-goes alike.
  98. Jul 17, 2012
    The long awaited The Avengers seeks out summer movie boredom and punches it in the face with humor, incredible talk-about-it-for-hours-later-with-your-teenage-friends action, and an infectious sense of fun. The visuals are spectacular, the characters are all given their shot at the spotlight, Joss Whedon proves to be a go-to director for big hollywood releases, and, well, basically it just defines the word 'awesome'. It doesn't really unearth any hidden truths about morality and justice (as opposed to other superhero films like The Dark Knight) and you pretty much will see every twist coming, but that is all blown away with its sheer grand scale and fanboy glee-filled moments. Go in with whatever expectations you have and you will probably leave happily. A perfect summer release and an overall great time at the movies. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.