7.9

1. May 16, 2012
    I don't get all the hoopla over this film. In the end, it was yet another superhero movie with the same predictable storyline. It does have great special effects, good action (although a very shaky camera during the action sequences), and good 3D. They were smart to feature Iron Man more than the others as he is by far the most interesting of the Super Heroes. I have to say though,I don't get all the hoopla over this film. In the end, it was yet another superhero movie with the same predictable storyline. It does have great special effects, good action (although a very shaky camera during the action sequences), and good 3D. They were smart to feature Iron Man more than the others as he is by far the most interesting of the Super Heroes. I have to say though, that it gets old that these heroes keep getting beaten to a pulp, then they get up without a scratch on them like a cartoon character. Ridiculous. I also thought that the Hulk was not supposed to be lucid when he was in his hulk state, yet at the end of the film he is calm and even says a few words while being a Hulk. I did look at my watch a couple of times and for me the 2 1/2 hours was excessive, but it was just good, not great. Expand
  2. Oct 14, 2012
    Less than impressed with this film given its stellar reviews upon release. It is one of those not so rare cases of style over substance, the style being fight scenes and blowing stuff up before coming to an inevitable conclusion of saving the world together and going their separate ways. The attempts at comedy are laboured and obviously, like the film, directed at a popcorn chompingLess than impressed with this film given its stellar reviews upon release. It is one of those not so rare cases of style over substance, the style being fight scenes and blowing stuff up before coming to an inevitable conclusion of saving the world together and going their separate ways. The attempts at comedy are laboured and obviously, like the film, directed at a popcorn chomping audience where films are to be enjoyed with minds switched off. The emotional climaxes in the film also seemed contrived and insincere, as is the case with many big budget films lacking in story and human connection. Firstly are we really meant to care about agent coulson dying merely because we are told 20 minutes before he died he ideolized captain america? And secondly what is the point in pretending to kill off iron man when all of the audience has seen that moment in the trailer a million times when the hulk catches iron man out of the sky and destroys a building in the process? Obviously they were not going to sacrifice a main character in this kind of a film when the secondary ones will suffice for audience emotional interaction. Joss Whedon, a genius, really? Expand
  3. Jul 21, 2012
    Generic and predictable plot. Some characters like Black Widow and Hawkeye were uneeded. Although, it does have some nice and expensive special effects and okay action scenes.
  4. May 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All I can say about this movie is that it was one of best marvel movies so far. The movie was entertaining but the major problem is the story and plot. There has been this build up for 5 years throughout 5 movies in which the main plot had to do with the Tesseract. So as soon as the Avengers movie starts within the first 10-15 minutes the whole plot is destroyed by bad writing and nonsense.

First we have a Evil villain tell Loki to retrieve this cube for him. So he is given a staff with the same powers of that cube that opens a portal right to it. Now this staff idea ruins all logic in all the the movies. If these aliens were looking for this cube in the first place why didn't they retrieve it using this staff along time ago. So after Loki retrieves the cube he doesn't immediately leave but instead he wastes time getting captured for no apparent reason to have his slaves build a machine to create a huge portal to bring an army to destroy Earth. What? That doesn't make sense. Loki was threaten that once he got the cube to return it to the aliens. Everything was backwards.

What should have happened was this.
    1)The alien gave Loki an army to invade Earth and retrieve the Terrasect
    2)Thor knowing this army is heading towards Earth warns S.H.I.E.L.D
    3)S.H.I.E.L.D begins to gather the rest of the team
    4)The aliens begin there attack on Earth as a distraction so Loki can retrieve the cube
    5)Loki retrieve the Cube but he and his army is defeated by the Avengers

There should have been no portals involved in this movie period. Also the flying aircraft carrier was pointless as well. The damn thing served a better purpose in the water instead of the air. All it took was one arrow to put this thing out of commission.
  5. May 22, 2012
    I didn't like most of the prequels to The Avengers, I didn't like Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America. So I was pleasantly surprised by The Avengers which is quite better. It is however a movie that I would never like to see again. It is awesome the first time, but there is nothing left once it's over. The sole value of the movie lies in its action scenes, and sometimes fun, sometimes notI didn't like most of the prequels to The Avengers, I didn't like Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America. So I was pleasantly surprised by The Avengers which is quite better. It is however a movie that I would never like to see again. It is awesome the first time, but there is nothing left once it's over. The sole value of the movie lies in its action scenes, and sometimes fun, sometimes not fun jokes here an there. So switch your brain off and enjoy, the entertainment is guaranteed. Once you've seen the action, you've seen all there is to see, and there is no point whatsoever to come back again to it. There is (as usual, sigh) some rubbish science talk that doesn't mean much and that shows how empty the plot is, so why bother including it at all? The movie could have been a bit shorter without it and without some other minor scenes, the action would have been more intense and the movie could only have been better. Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot, I didn't regret going to the cinema for once. Expand
  6. May 6, 2012
    The Avengers accomplishes its goal as a fun, super geek event movie. It's not a film, but a movie and a good time. Once people take another look, they will likely notice a weak narrative, not so great special effects, big plausibility issues and less than A+ level filmmaking. Technically, there are many aspects of the movie that are B-level. The actors have a good time, and Robert DowneyThe Avengers accomplishes its goal as a fun, super geek event movie. It's not a film, but a movie and a good time. Once people take another look, they will likely notice a weak narrative, not so great special effects, big plausibility issues and less than A+ level filmmaking. Technically, there are many aspects of the movie that are B-level. The actors have a good time, and Robert Downey Jr steals the show. Expand
  7. May 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It accomplishes what a typical summer action film does: action. I can't really complain about this film because action is what I expected over story. But if there's one thing I'm just tired of at this point it's this: aliens. Aliens, aliens, aliens. I just think it's just so cliche that this is the plot point that we've been buttered up for after all these years with disappointing films like Iron Man 2 and Captain America. They should have just made this film from the beginning. The climatic battle felt more like Transformers 3. The whole premise felt like a Transformers movie. I mean, we have the Tesseract, a small cube-like thing that has energy to open portals and/or is a beacon of immense energy (sound familiar?), that's not very explained in the movie, or why the alien dudes want it. Albeit that moving action shot where it got all the Avengers doing their thing beating **** up simultaneously was great. And there's the gags like Hulk not being able to pick up Thor's hammer, Thor telling everyone Loki was adopted, the shield employee playing games when he's supposed to be working, etc. But Agent Coulson's scenes were by far the best. It was really petty of Nick Fury to use him to guilt the Avengers to work together while shying away from the fact that he was planning on building weapons of mass destruction out of the Tasseract.

But then we had the long, LONG attack on S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters where nothing was at stake. Loki got himself caught for reasons and nothing seemed to materialize from that. The Avengers all **** at each other as to how to handle the situation and then suddenly liking each other once some **** goes down. The Hulk acting like a lumbering ape, dragging his knuckles, who thought that would be a good idea? And finally setting up the Tasseract at Stark Tower to open a portal for the Decepticons to invade Earth. Something like that hasn't happened in a film recently, right? But again this movie was about gags and action and fanservice, so I cannot really complain about it. I got what I expected and it filled some time up in my night.
  8. Dec 17, 2013
    A fun ride. Favorite parts were the physics ideas in action scenes. Least favorite part was the lack of focus, how everything just kept moving on so fast you never really got to reflect about anything. Also, the setup with the energy source that is also super dangerous reminded me of The Dark Knight Rises and I had overall seen a lot of the ideas before. The movie could have establishedA fun ride. Favorite parts were the physics ideas in action scenes. Least favorite part was the lack of focus, how everything just kept moving on so fast you never really got to reflect about anything. Also, the setup with the energy source that is also super dangerous reminded me of The Dark Knight Rises and I had overall seen a lot of the ideas before. The movie could have established sympathy with the heroes or with civilians, instead it asks you to automatically feel for humanity or New York or whatever. I honestly didn't, so it never crossed over into an emotionally engaged territory. But yeah, it's fun I guess. Expand
  9. May 12, 2012
    There is too much mayhem in the movie for my taste, although the story line is quite interesting: getting a group of superheroes, whose styles and personalities essentially do not click together, to get one supremely difficult task done. And the Big Boss is a black man! I would have liked to see some other minority groups, i.e., Asians and Hispanics, take a part in this huge enterprise too.
  10. May 16, 2012
    If you didn't see the other 5 movies, go watch them first (even Hulk). The movie will taunt you with flashbacks to the old movies and you won't get to see the full character development. Having only been armed with the Iron Man movies, understanding of Norse Mythology, and basic background on the other heroes, I still got a good understanding of what was going on. However, the movieIf you didn't see the other 5 movies, go watch them first (even Hulk). The movie will taunt you with flashbacks to the old movies and you won't get to see the full character development. Having only been armed with the Iron Man movies, understanding of Norse Mythology, and basic background on the other heroes, I still got a good understanding of what was going on. However, the movie had a lot of elements from the other movies, specifically Thor. The movie's beginning is S.L.O.W, almost as slow as the first Willy Wonka. I'm not going to spoil the story, but don't worry, you'll forget about it. It's basically the Marvel formula: Bad thing happens, find hero(es), train, find bad guy, some one dies, attack on New York, save the day, New Yorkers go yay. As for the characters, it's hit and miss. Tony Stark and Loki are very enjoyable and witty, Captain America and Bruce Banner are alright, and everyone else is paper thin. Very little character development happens and by the end, the characters are still the same people. The final fight scene was as you think it would be. The effects are well done and the Hulk provides comic relief. My favorite scene by far was when Hulk was chasing Black Widow, though. Don't worry about the music, because you won't notice it. It's drowned out the the amazing amount of dialogue in this movie. Even in the fight scenes they can't shut up. There's no suspense whatsoever. Overall, I was very disappointed, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good movie. But, if you want a good superhero experience, just go watch the Dark Knight again. Expand
  11. May 5, 2012
    Entertaining Movie, but the plot was lacking. when there was no action the movie was on the boring side. They were trying to build some conflict between characters, but there just wasn't that much. There was a little as far as the main character vs Shield but that was it. If they could have build the tension between the Main Characters and actually made it real tension not just someEntertaining Movie, but the plot was lacking. when there was no action the movie was on the boring side. They were trying to build some conflict between characters, but there just wasn't that much. There was a little as far as the main character vs Shield but that was it. If they could have build the tension between the Main Characters and actually made it real tension not just some simple disagreements then the Movie would have been better. The action is some of the best I've seen but the plot makes it tough for me to give anything higher then a 7 Expand
  12. May 7, 2012
    This is definitely no The Dark Knight. Just another superhero-themed movie to fill in the gaps for the long-awaited The Dark Knight Rises. Decent flick, but really forgettable. (They really underused Jeremy Renner here).
  13. May 9, 2012
    I'm not a great comic book fan but found this film reasonably engaging. Robert Downey Jnr steals the show and the captain America character seems just as underplayed as his was in his own film. Looking forward the the inevitable sequel but it would be good if Hollywood could come up with some original idea's as well!
  14. May 15, 2012
    Disappointing. I can sum it up as 2 hours of explosions and 1 liners. Acting was... mediocre. I honestly expected a lot more. It was more of a straight action movie, the story was very very bland. Only good thing I can say about it was the visual effects were great and that is it.
  15. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dialogue is crisp, the action is loud and in your face, and the characters are all there. For an Avengers fan, or someone craving snippy lines and mindless action, this movie is for you. For those of you looking for a truly epic experience, a story with impact, look elsewhere. In the end, the Avengers is all it could be, and what was promised in the first of what may very well end up being a trilogy. As such, our heroes are in no danger (and neither is our villain for that matter), and for someone who isn't a Marvel junkie, the whole journey just felt like pointless fluff. Even the overlong action sequence carries little impact as we all know how it will end. I suppose The Avengers was all it promised to be, but in spite of that I left the theater wanting more from this film. It still gets a passing grade, but I would not see it again. Expand
  16. May 26, 2012
    All the pieces of the Marvel film puzzle have finally been assembled, and the outcome was... fairly satisfying. It has all the thrills and flares needed for the first blockbuster of the summer and its packed with a lot of humor and cynicism that keeps things light. The visuals and sound designs were dynamic; and action sequences bombastic, but the icing on the cake were the characters thatAll the pieces of the Marvel film puzzle have finally been assembled, and the outcome was... fairly satisfying. It has all the thrills and flares needed for the first blockbuster of the summer and its packed with a lot of humor and cynicism that keeps things light. The visuals and sound designs were dynamic; and action sequences bombastic, but the icing on the cake were the characters that were brought to life (once again) for the big screen; Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and the Agents. They were unique, dynamic, and director Joss Whedon did a good job at offering them equitable screen presence. None of them got lost in the mix. But the standout was surely Mark Ruffalo's take on Hulk, which exceeds the 2 previous versions by a land slide. Despite all the fun action and smart humor, the film was fairly empty. Our heroes weren't faced with any serious struggles or personal demons, they only had to kick the butts of those who wish to 'Take over the World'! And that wasn't a hard task for them. All that I saw in this movie was the same formula, redone in a (slightly) more charismatic way. Overall its an entertaining popcorn flick...which should be seen for the summer, but don't expect to take away much from it. Expand
  17. May 21, 2012
    Its an ok superficial superhero action/comedy and if you liked movies like Iron Man and Captain America you will probably like this to. It has funny one liners and good looking effects but not much more. If you want a movie with good story and any depth to the characters this is not for you.
  18. Jul 3, 2012
    Where are the attractive actresses? Are they all locked in rich peoples basements? Why can't an attractive female be in movies? Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  19. May 24, 2014
    First time watching the Avengers i was amazed, astonished and dazzled by the fact that Marvel manged to create an avengers film; Second time watching through the film, again im amazed at how good the film is and how much better it is compared to over superhero films; Third time, its an ok film, the acting is good, the action is good, but i feel as if something is missing; FOURTH **** TIME,First time watching the Avengers i was amazed, astonished and dazzled by the fact that Marvel manged to create an avengers film; Second time watching through the film, again im amazed at how good the film is and how much better it is compared to over superhero films; Third time, its an ok film, the acting is good, the action is good, but i feel as if something is missing; FOURTH **** TIME, what the **** what is the plot of the film, why is the main story so boring, damn why is captain america under used, why are all the characters very shallow and boring, why is the only good thing about the film the fact that the Action sequences are spectacular and seeing all those hero's on the screen amazing.

I rest my case, The Avengers is a above average film that managed to trick people in to thinking that it was Awesometacular.
  20. Nov 5, 2012
    Whedon's Avengers is very entertaining. The dialogue is snappy when present, and the visual effects are great, but in the end, sensation trumps feeling.
  21. Jan 28, 2013
    The Avengers is the best Marvel comic book movie ever made. This movie had great action, great acting, and a great plot. It's 143 minutes of pure awesomeness and excitement. Also this movie had fantastic acting from Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, and Tom Hiddleston. This is one of my favorite films of all time. This is the best film of 2012 by far.
  22. Jun 16, 2013
    While it is a good attempt, The Avengers fails at the true essence of the superhero genre. The avengers has amazing acting yes, however they cannot help interest me in the more dramatic scenes, which are extremely slow paced and boring. Though Hulk's character was well explored, Hawkeye's character wasn't explored much and I was never interested in him. Action sequences are a pain to watchWhile it is a good attempt, The Avengers fails at the true essence of the superhero genre. The avengers has amazing acting yes, however they cannot help interest me in the more dramatic scenes, which are extremely slow paced and boring. Though Hulk's character was well explored, Hawkeye's character wasn't explored much and I was never interested in him. Action sequences are a pain to watch because of the poor cinematography. It just looks like the cameras are whizzing around everywhere and is an eyesore. Story is not that great either. In superhero movies, Story is worth at leas 45% of the entire movie. The story was not explained well and I couldn't care less about it. This could have been a great movie but missed a great chance of becoming one. Expand
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    The problem I see in this movie was the theme, which is not very well designed, and were supposed to be more. It has lots of action and stunning visuals, but only enough, in my opinion, this 6.
  24. Nov 23, 2014
    The Avengers es una película en la que algunos momentos se torna fastidiosa, pero sin embargo ofrece unos grandes efectos visuales y da un buen espectáculo, por lo tanto tampoco hay que decir que la película es mala.
  25. May 13, 2015
    This movie seemed like a reasonably good addition to the Marvel canon. For full disclosure, I should comment that I was kind of confused for a lot of it, because I haven't seen any of the Thor movies, but I recognize that it's my fault I had trouble following. The air ships and seeing more inside of Shield was great, especially because it meant more Samuel L. Jackson. Loki is a reallyThis movie seemed like a reasonably good addition to the Marvel canon. For full disclosure, I should comment that I was kind of confused for a lot of it, because I haven't seen any of the Thor movies, but I recognize that it's my fault I had trouble following. The air ships and seeing more inside of Shield was great, especially because it meant more Samuel L. Jackson. Loki is a really great villain which makes it fun to watch, although I knew I was missing a lot because I didn't know the back story about his relationship with Thor, except what I'd been told by my moviepartner. Still, it seemed like he was a much more sympathetic enemy than a lot of the other comic book movies I've seen. The scenes where all the Avengers are together tend to have a fun dynamic, just because of all the banter and disagreements between the characters. The final climactic scene in New York is also really impressive; the creature-machines that came through the portal were really neat visually, although they seemed surprisingly easy to kill. Expand
  26. May 2, 2015
    extremely overrated, but still enjoyable. The one thing I wish this movie has was a better villain. Loki is so stupid and boring he dragged this movie down.
  27. Lyn
    Jan 6, 2013
    Probably much more enjoyable on the big screen -- and I'm sure it would have been more enjoyable for a comic book aficionado. But its appearance on some of the critics' "best" lists made me curious. Campy costumes and a primary-colored plot (to the extent that there was one) made it fun in spots, but for me could not make up for the cheesy dialogue and silly story. Robert Downey Jr. hadProbably much more enjoyable on the big screen -- and I'm sure it would have been more enjoyable for a comic book aficionado. But its appearance on some of the critics' "best" lists made me curious. Campy costumes and a primary-colored plot (to the extent that there was one) made it fun in spots, but for me could not make up for the cheesy dialogue and silly story. Robert Downey Jr. had most of the best lines and wittily made good use of them; his performance definitely was the highlight. Expand
  28. Jun 26, 2012
    The special effects alone are not enough to make a good movie, but apparently not many people understand it. Often boring, rarely funny and exciting. Only look if you love Marvel.
  29. May 6, 2012
    I love superhero action movies, and though I was really looking forward to this movie, tried not get too high of hopes, so as not to ruin it for myself accidentally. I don't think it worked though, as I was kind of disappointed in this movie. It was decent, but it could have been so much better. As soon as it ended, my friend and I, who both love Joss Whedon, and this kind of movie, bothI love superhero action movies, and though I was really looking forward to this movie, tried not get too high of hopes, so as not to ruin it for myself accidentally. I don't think it worked though, as I was kind of disappointed in this movie. It was decent, but it could have been so much better. As soon as it ended, my friend and I, who both love Joss Whedon, and this kind of movie, both turned to each other and shrugged. We both agreed that Joss has great ideas, but is not a great director of movies. Some of the shots were kind of random, pacing needed to be tightened up, it felt too long in spots (I started getting sleepy at one point and didn't think I would miss anything if I took a quick nap) and I wanted it to hurry and get to the point several times, and I just didn't feel much connection to or care about any of the "superheroes", even the ones I had already liked and connected to in previous movies. If Joss had more experience directing full-length films, I think this movie would have been much better. (Sorry, Joss, I really do love you! But, I have to call it like I see it.) But, all that said, I liked it okay, I just knew that it could have been really good, and was disappointed it wasn't living up to its potential. Expand
  30. May 23, 2012
    As you can see by the overwhelmingly positive reviews, this movie is hardcore nerd pornography. I now have insight into the fanboy mind: Screen make flashy flashy boom boom I clappy my handsies if u don't like u just a h8r. But the special effects really do give this thing a great-looking outer shell. Kinda reminds me of a pretty Easter egg that you can't wait to open but isAs you can see by the overwhelmingly positive reviews, this movie is hardcore nerd pornography. I now have insight into the fanboy mind: Screen make flashy flashy boom boom I clappy my handsies if u don't like u just a h8r. But the special effects really do give this thing a great-looking outer shell. Kinda reminds me of a pretty Easter egg that you can't wait to open but is disappointingly filled with those black jelly beans everybody hates. I liked Downey Jr. and non-Hulk Ruffalo. Scarlet played a robot with an accent. Captain America dude and Thor just plain can't act. They're so bad, they're almost a parody of themselves. Put them on SNL. They won't have to change a thing. Stereotypical one-dimensional GOOD guy vs. stereotypical one-dimensional EVIL guy + one-liner + insanely long stretch of movie in which nothing at all happens + evil guy beats up good guy for a while + one-liner + good guy shows evil guy what's up = you still go back to your girlfriendless lives, nerds. Expand
  31. Jun 6, 2012
    This movie wasn´t of my totally pleasantness, fools jokes, boring and spent history, but i wasn't like! i don't like! is a stupid movie. I only save the special effects
  32. May 8, 2012
    OK--first the pro's: great cast, stylish production values and some good moments. There was some of the clever dialogue I associate with Jos Whedon and some scenes that made me laugh. That said, Avengers is to Firefly or Serenity what the WWF is to Olympic wrestling--too LONG, lots of repetitive CGI. You'd like to think that Firefly was about people as a matter of choice, not because of aOK--first the pro's: great cast, stylish production values and some good moments. There was some of the clever dialogue I associate with Jos Whedon and some scenes that made me laugh. That said, Avengers is to Firefly or Serenity what the WWF is to Olympic wrestling--too LONG, lots of repetitive CGI. You'd like to think that Firefly was about people as a matter of choice, not because of a small budget alone. This movie makes me wonder. When it comes to CGI, just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Expand
  33. drm
    May 15, 2012
    I said I wasn't gonna do it, but I watched 'The Avengers' last night, in glorious 2D. Now for a solid week, fake life-style comic nerds have been building this thing up to me like it was the second coming of Christ. It isn't. Think of it like this. 'Love In The Time Of Cholera' is a far better literary work than a 'Wolverine' comic. They are truly different animals. Using this example,I said I wasn't gonna do it, but I watched 'The Avengers' last night, in glorious 2D. Now for a solid week, fake life-style comic nerds have been building this thing up to me like it was the second coming of Christ. It isn't. Think of it like this. 'Love In The Time Of Cholera' is a far better literary work than a 'Wolverine' comic. They are truly different animals. Using this example, "Scarface" is a far better film than "The Avengers". I didn't get the impression Joss Whedon was trying to make high cinematic art here, which is fine, if you take it at that level. It's fun. It's mindlessly entertaining, and the effects are top notch, but then they sort of had to be, didn't they? Watch it. Take your kids. They'll love it. Just don't let any Marvel fanboys build up your hopes too high. As comic movies go, it's pretty decent. As a pinnacle of modern filmmaking, it fails all over the place. Expand
  34. May 13, 2012
    The Avengers has everything money can buy going for it and not much else. There's nothing offensive in the film but nothing provocative either. Did anyone here feel any tension whatsoever watching this? It plays it so safe. Hey, there's a lot of great stuff for the eyes, the pacing is good and I think the dialog is pretty funny, but there really isn't much substance or originality. AThe Avengers has everything money can buy going for it and not much else. There's nothing offensive in the film but nothing provocative either. Did anyone here feel any tension whatsoever watching this? It plays it so safe. Hey, there's a lot of great stuff for the eyes, the pacing is good and I think the dialog is pretty funny, but there really isn't much substance or originality. A summer thrill ride and then it's over. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Expand
  35. Apr 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Visually, the movie is a treat. And that ends to positive portion of my review. I basically agree with most of the negative reviews, but I refuse to give the movie a 1 or 2. It most certainly wasn't that bad. I just felt that I was waiting the whole film for something to bring me to the edge of my seat, and it didn't happen. The final battle scene was terrible. It went on and on and on, and got dumber and dumber as it did. It felt like it was half the movie, but after the first 2 or 3 minutes of the battle, we'd seen it all. It didn't need to drone on like a bad philosophy professor. There were two many characters for any of them to be written well. I hated the Captain America movie, but I was more interested in his character then than I was in this one. Bruce Banner was pathetic. And could someone please explain to me how Hulk suddenly could go from wanted to kill Black Widow to suddenly understanding everything? The Ironman Mark 7 bit was ridiculous, and some of the arrows that Hawkeye used were ludicrous. Yes, I am keeping in mind this was based on a comic, but come on! Expand
  36. Dec 25, 2012
    Pedestrian pacing, clichéd dialogue and a generic plot. Yes, it's a super-hero movie; an over-hyped, big-budget, disengage your brain and chew your popcorn series of action sequences littered with painfully two-dimensional cardboard cut-out characters (with exception to Ruffalo's Hulk, arguably the only decent part of the film). One of the trailers preceding the film was advertisingPedestrian pacing, clichéd dialogue and a generic plot. Yes, it's a super-hero movie; an over-hyped, big-budget, disengage your brain and chew your popcorn series of action sequences littered with painfully two-dimensional cardboard cut-out characters (with exception to Ruffalo's Hulk, arguably the only decent part of the film). One of the trailers preceding the film was advertising toys; there's your target audience: children. Expand
  37. May 13, 2013
    This is last year's summer blockbuster. The Avengers has its moments and you won't fall asleep, but it is a bit too busy, probably because it has five or six superheroes too many, including two from Norse mythology. I'm not sure that Loki and Thor count as superheroes. Thor is the Norse god of thunder; in this film, he is frequently depicted wielding a gold oversized hammer that looks likeThis is last year's summer blockbuster. The Avengers has its moments and you won't fall asleep, but it is a bit too busy, probably because it has five or six superheroes too many, including two from Norse mythology. I'm not sure that Loki and Thor count as superheroes. Thor is the Norse god of thunder; in this film, he is frequently depicted wielding a gold oversized hammer that looks like a giant dreidel. Loki is, according to mythology, a rather weird loner of a god who causes all kinds of mischief, and he is famous for being a shapeshifter, an attribute which is not explored in this story. In this film, Loki is the mad genius who wants to destroy the world, the typical villain that turns up in every superhero movie from Batman to Austin Powers to the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. In Norse mythology, Loki is constantly fouling things up, and he is not a nice god, but he doesn't have enough ambition or smarts to try to destroy the planet.

For example, in a famous mythological scene, Odin, the chief god, is on planet Earth strolling along to pay a respectful visit the King of the Dwarves. Odin is accompanied by Loki and another god. The King's son is also a shapeshifter, and the son is lounging by the stream in the shape of an otter. Loki sees the otter, and all he can think is “lunch,” so while Odin walks on ahead, Loki stops to kill the otter, throw it over his shoulders, and then give the poor Dwarf King a real shock when he enters the house a few minutes behind Odin, carrying some delectable meat. This causes Odin all kinds of problems, as he then has to find a way to give the Dwarf King restitution for the death of his son. Tom Hiddleston as Loki does a very good portrayal of unrelenting evil, but the relation to the mythological Loki is weak.

Even Robert Downey Jr. gets lost in the sauce, since his Iron Man has much less screen time here than what he's used to, and he's sharing the set with too many other A-listers. Downey is a little out of shape in this film, a state he seems to have recently corrected, but the main problem is that Iron Man as a team player doesn't seem to work. Mark Ruffalo's the Hulk is so hulking and destructive that he gets on your nerves. He's a bull in a china shop, and his massive destructiveness is a little annoying. The pleasant surprise is Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow. Her best scene is when she's tied to a chair and is seemingly being interrogated, if not tortured, but in fact she is the one conducting the interrogation by asking a lot of questions while perceived as being in a state of bondage from which she cannot escape. When she has to answer her cell phone, she drops the ruse, beats everybody up, and gets back to the office. That scene is worth the rest of the movie.

The film is entertaining on a somewhat juvenile level, but given that it made over a billion dollars, the producers are obviously not concerned about high art with respect to this genre.
  38. Jun 2, 2012
    Harboring a great deal of expectation of this record-breaking multi-superhero-in-a-row action mash-up, I finally caught up the last chance to watch it on the big screen, but unfortunately the film has indomitably become my very first disappointment in 2012. Alerted by the general opinion of â
  39. Aug 28, 2012
    The Avengers: A messy film that does little to appeal to the non pre-existing comic fans. Struggles to fit a coherent narrative between the action scenes.

While action is pretty, The Avengers never seems to quite know what to do with so many main characters. Making huge assumptions that the viewer already knows each character's arc, they bypass any arc entirely and just have them fighting a lot.

Even Transformers 3, a movie I found very messy and tough to watch, manages to have a pretty coherent and linear story, that just tries to do a few things too many. But The Avengers seems to decide to leave behind linearity and a character arcs, and just let chaos happen.

The best Marvel film for me is still Iron Man, as it plays with strong character arcs, a progressive and interesting plot, with a sense of 'realistic' special effects and the 'super hero' notion is dialled down a bit.

If you want super hero movies with a plot, try Batman Begins, The Watchmen Director's Cut, and to a more minimal extent Superman 2: Donner Cut.
  40. May 24, 2012
    this movie is so bland and overrated. honestly i'm still dumbfounded by the fact this movie has garnered good reviews. dont get me wrong. it's not a bad movie but its not as good as everyone think it is. Yes its super cool with a team of superheroes saving the earth but thats pretty much it. the dialogue and script of the movie is so bad. seriously. at times while watching the movie ithis movie is so bland and overrated. honestly i'm still dumbfounded by the fact this movie has garnered good reviews. dont get me wrong. it's not a bad movie but its not as good as everyone think it is. Yes its super cool with a team of superheroes saving the earth but thats pretty much it. the dialogue and script of the movie is so bad. seriously. at times while watching the movie i laughed so hard at the script not becos its hillarious its because of the poor script. very cliche and predictable storyline. The action was not bad. and there are too many plotholes. when we watch a superhero movie we have to defy logic and just enjoy the 2 hours ride but i just cant for this movie. there are so many illogical and unwarranted events. The best marvel film so far is probly iron man without a doubt and maybe the incredible hulk. rober downey jr was at his brilliant best. mark ruffalo does a not bad impersonation of the hulk. the rest are very mediocre. honestly i didnt expect much from this movie. cos u cant expect a top class movie with multiple superheros. but i was quite excited to watch it like i said a team of superheroes. who wouldnt? but i guess blockbuster movies are like that. just hoping the dark knight rises and the amazing spiderman would be epic! Expand
  41. Jun 8, 2012
    This movie isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I honestly didn't like it. The effects and what not was amazing but, the plot in general and the acting kind of pissed me off. But, In some cases I actually liked it.
  42. Aug 31, 2014
    With Joss Whedon at the helm, I expected much more. To bring all of The Avengers together in a single film is no easy task; nevertheless, I cannot help but feel as though it could've been better executed.
  43. May 4, 2012
    The movie as whole is not bad but at the end of the day, it's pretty much the generic superhero/comic book movie - lots of explosions with some semi-funny one-liners. The action sequences were nothing outstanding (they were actually less impressive than the first scenes in Thor). On top of that, the movie is a bit slow until the half-way point. Some characters felt out of place likeThe movie as whole is not bad but at the end of the day, it's pretty much the generic superhero/comic book movie - lots of explosions with some semi-funny one-liners. The action sequences were nothing outstanding (they were actually less impressive than the first scenes in Thor). On top of that, the movie is a bit slow until the half-way point. Some characters felt out of place like Scarlett Johansson's character and that Phil dude. Hulk's reason for being on the team was very blurry as well. Overall, an entertaining popcorn flick but nothing more. Expand
  44. May 5, 2012
    The special effects for this movie were amazing, I'll give it that. But there is no significant story, the "come together moment" is not believable at all, and it takes way too much time to get the ball really rolling.
  45. May 9, 2012
    Typical pro military movie with the most outrageous waste of money possible - a flying aircraft carrier. It doesn't even make sense...what's the point?
  46. May 6, 2012
    Ultimately, The Avengers is a Joss Whedon movie. For those familiar with Joss Whedon's works, you have a formulaic approach to group dynamics. There's the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Girl of the group, who is unfazed and stoic to all of the happenings around her and utilizes her femininity to trick the men around her while she lays the smack down. You have the Goofy Guy who makes light ofUltimately, The Avengers is a Joss Whedon movie. For those familiar with Joss Whedon's works, you have a formulaic approach to group dynamics. There's the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Girl of the group, who is unfazed and stoic to all of the happenings around her and utilizes her femininity to trick the men around her while she lays the smack down. You have the Goofy Guy who makes light of everything and is terribly superficial. The No-Nonsense, Misplaced Guy who typically acts like he carries a heavy burden around with him in a world he doesn't fit in with anymore. And so and so forth. Essentially, if you've watched Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity, or even read Whedon's run on Uncanny X-Men, you have the jist of his workings, a method he uses over and over again. If you're a fan, you'll love The Avengers. If you're not, well, Robert Downey, Jr keeps it entertaining (because this is his third outing in role he's grown into, unlike the rest of the cast). The Avengers is a good movie, but I think people ought to reconsider whether they're getting something fresh and entertaining, or if Whedon is just exploiting an already established character base of heroes and putting them into a mold he's done several times before. Expand
  47. May 13, 2012
    I was trying to keep my expectations tempered. Now I have excitement churning in my chest, and a grin on my face that I can't fight. Can this be out already?

Regards
    Diolt
  48. May 18, 2012
    This movie is yet another example of sloppy script writing covered up by special effects, a few good action scene moments and some good gags. I don't know if it's coming from studio involvement but overall the movie is filled with scenes that could have been simplified or written differently but instead were used to shoe horn in a cool special effect or line of dialogue. I walked out ofThis movie is yet another example of sloppy script writing covered up by special effects, a few good action scene moments and some good gags. I don't know if it's coming from studio involvement but overall the movie is filled with scenes that could have been simplified or written differently but instead were used to shoe horn in a cool special effect or line of dialogue. I walked out of the movie liking it but you couldn't pay me to sit through it again and I'm someone who likes the characters. As a whole you know movies are getting bad when a 80's action movie has a more solid script than the Avengers. If you like seeing people punch things though and cars explode with the occasional funny gag you will probably love this movie, if you want a movie that is more than that stay home. Expand
  49. May 18, 2012
    What works: the allure of Marvel Comic branding, cast and media marketing made 3D event a "must see".

What fails: script, cast chemistry and total lack of character development for key roles and length of movie (should have been part 1 of 2). Overall: Not even close to the hype; Catch on DVD.
  50. May 20, 2012
    Every hype is fake. The Avengers is not the best Marvel film to date and quite possibly is the worst superhero movie I've seen in terms of humor, history and has no replay value. Loki or Thor never have been "stars" in comics. Bad choice for an Avengers movie.
  51. May 21, 2012
    If it weren't for the great special effects and a few guilty pleasures, "The Avengers" would be a complete snooze-fest. A generally solid cast as well as the 3D imagery were woefully underutilized. For all the film's frenetic energy, there was little in the characters and the plot for the viewer to invest emotionally. In short, the sum was less than its parts in this overlong spectacleIf it weren't for the great special effects and a few guilty pleasures, "The Avengers" would be a complete snooze-fest. A generally solid cast as well as the 3D imagery were woefully underutilized. For all the film's frenetic energy, there was little in the characters and the plot for the viewer to invest emotionally. In short, the sum was less than its parts in this overlong spectacle from Joss Whedon. Expand
  52. May 29, 2012
    depending on what you are looking for you will either love this movie or like me be left sitting in the theater with a look of obvious disinterest. think of it this way, if you are a twelve year old boy you will fall in love with this movies big explosions and cheap easy comic lines. you can see the obvious struggle of creating this movie in the way of properly incorporating all of thesedepending on what you are looking for you will either love this movie or like me be left sitting in the theater with a look of obvious disinterest. think of it this way, if you are a twelve year old boy you will fall in love with this movies big explosions and cheap easy comic lines. you can see the obvious struggle of creating this movie in the way of properly incorporating all of these large characters into one small movie (however not short). it was from a real quality of film standpoint not good at all. the whole plot just seemed to be there to accommodate the characters and then shove the one big climactic real action scene in at the end. its not the best superhero movie ever made but if you want something that is mildly interesting, and throws witty lines and explosions at your face as if you where not an actual real person then this would be a great movie for you. Expand
  53. Jun 4, 2012
    I've been a fan of movies my whole life and I really love good movies. I love comic book heroes especially Superman and Batman. I really hated the Batman TV show growing up because I wanted a serious take on the character. I was so happy when Batman Begins came out because I finally got what I knew a comic book movie could be a serious dramatic endeavor and it still had its humorousI've been a fan of movies my whole life and I really love good movies. I love comic book heroes especially Superman and Batman. I really hated the Batman TV show growing up because I wanted a serious take on the character. I was so happy when Batman Begins came out because I finally got what I knew a comic book movie could be a serious dramatic endeavor and it still had its humorous touches too. BUT it was NOT campy. Then when "The Dark Knight" came out I was blown away because it truly was what I had been yearning for since I was 8 or 9 years old when I first saw the campy batman tv show you know with all the kapows and whamos they could throw in it. I don't know much about "Iron Man" or "The Avengers" comic books. I have never really gotten into reading comic books even as a kid I didn't read them. But when "Iron Man" came out I said this looks cool I have to check this movie out. And wow what an awesome surprise it was. Another great comic book movie in the same year. I own "Iron Man" and "The Dark Knight" on blu-ray that is how much I love the first "Iron Man" and "The Dark Knight". And I thought to myself it has finally happened we have passed into special effects nirvana where hollywood can now literally put anything they can dream up onto celluloid and it will look as if it truly exists. So now I'll finally get to see all the comic book movies turned into great movies. Well, then "Iron Man 2" came out and pretty much quashed the dream I had envisioned. Marvel went back to the batman tv show campy style and that style sucks I hate it. They had a chance to truly turn Iron Man into a great live action franchise and they screwed it up. And then I heard about "The Avengers" coming out and being released all over the world before it was released in the states. And anytime a studio does this it is so they can get the maximum return on their investment before its state side release because they know they did a decent movie but they know its just a decent movie and not a great one. I still wanted to see it though to see if they would steer back onto the correct course set in the original "Iron Man" and they gave a very valiant effort BUT after seeing the movie I came away feeling, "Eh ok I saw it but it doesn't really matter that I saw it." When I left the theater after seeing "Iron Man 1" I wanted to know where I could get an Iron Man suit. They could have made "The Avengers" make me feel that way when I left the theater but they figured oh well as long as its good enough the rest of the world will go see so it doesn't matter that we stop the action so the characters can exchange dialogue several times in key action sequences. The dialogue wasn't woven into the fight scene. They broke my #1 rule of movies don't make feel as though I'm watching a movie make feel as though the events are actually happening. Please don't think I'm not well versed in the movies I have seen them all and rank them in the following order (best to worst): Iron Man 1, Captain America, Thor, Both Hulks, Iron Man 2, The Avengers. Expand
  54. Jun 11, 2012
    This movie is OK. good action but it miss something to merge all parts in one big thing. the solo movie of the heroes was better for me at least. The movie is a bit to long by the end. $6 is good investment for 2 hours of action movie
  55. Jun 21, 2012
    Here are 5 reasons why this movie wasn't as good as it could have been:
    1.The actor playing the villain was too weak for the rest of the cast of characters.
    2. Too much of the movie takes place on a Plane 3. That's 3 strikes now for casting a decent HULK actor, or even scripting a good HULK storyline 4. Robert Downey Jr.'s shtick is getting tired and repetitive (see: every movie he
    Here are 5 reasons why this movie wasn't as good as it could have been:
    2. Too much of the movie takes place on a Plane
    4. Robert Downey Jr.'s shtick is getting tired and repetitive (see: every movie he makes)
    5. Thor is a super-powerful God, what is it that the other characters have to offer? (maybe they are the distractions)
  56. Jul 9, 2012
    5 out of 10, even though that's going against the general opinion of the public. It was a really good movie, but it was still a Superhero movie that comes at the tail end of an ongoing fad in Hollywood. I enjoyed it, so don't misunderstand what I'm saying. It just needed to step up it's game in order to compete with some of the other movies that are circulating out there. A lot of people5 out of 10, even though that's going against the general opinion of the public. It was a really good movie, but it was still a Superhero movie that comes at the tail end of an ongoing fad in Hollywood. I enjoyed it, so don't misunderstand what I'm saying. It just needed to step up it's game in order to compete with some of the other movies that are circulating out there. A lot of people loved it, but I'm not a lot of people. It had it's moments of well done special effects, humor, and dialogue. I was hoping for better, but it didn't meet my expectations. Expand
  57. Jul 12, 2012
    The special effects were great and the action was great, but The Avengers was lacking in other areas. The story was ridiculous and not engaging whatsoever and the jokes just weren't very funny at all. God, Robert Downey Jr. annoyed me so much!
  58. Jul 21, 2012
    This movie was a lot of talking, mainly just arguing between the Avengers. The Antagonist is nothing to fear, and there is no doubt in the viewer's head that he will be defeated with ease. The gigantically long and redundant battle scene against the monster things wasn't special because every alien thing was the same and there was nothing special about them. Robert Downey, Jr. was theThis movie was a lot of talking, mainly just arguing between the Avengers. The Antagonist is nothing to fear, and there is no doubt in the viewer's head that he will be defeated with ease. The gigantically long and redundant battle scene against the monster things wasn't special because every alien thing was the same and there was nothing special about them. Robert Downey, Jr. was the best part of the movie. His portrayal of Tony Stark was great and humorous. Captain America was boring and annoying at times. I don't understand the hype at all. It was "all right" at best. Expand
  59. Jul 24, 2012
    Joss Whedon a thespian of the TV world directs his first big budget studio backed super hero movie bringing together some of the most iconic Super Heroes of the Marvel Comics universe. In my personal opinion the movie falls short of the promise it held with the recently successful Iron-Man, Thor and Captain America who all come together as The Avengers a special task force
  60. Aug 24, 2012
    It IS a good movie if you're a Marvel fan, but otherwise there's not much to it. The "story" is as simple as it gets and the action scenes are so big and so frequent that it fails to impress after a while. It's all about explosions and one-liners and superheroes beating up bad guys, and if that's enough for you... well, great. For me it isn't.
  61. Oct 14, 2012
    I really tried to love this film but when the plot holes are beyond obvious it is hard and unexplained actions were even worse. Half of S.H.I.E.L.D didn't even need to be there. It didn't stop it being enjoyable. Robert Downey Jr. was the highlight of this film. Still worth watching.
  62. Sep 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I had heard a lot about this movie. Heard it was possibly the best film of all time from some people. There's certainly been plenty of noise about The Avengers - from Marvel aficionados to old fashioned action movie fans. Fun, fast-paced, boundary-breaking, smart, genre-redefining...? Hm.

I'll grant some of that. It IS fast, it IS visually impressive, and it does have passable humour, but ultimately it's a vacuous piece. It is stuffed at the beginning with superfluous padding to provide a reason to draw together hitherto mutually exclusive superheroes. This distracts from the overal theme of the movie of mindless action. Mindless? Let's have a villain want to rule a world he clearly has no interest in through the assistance of an ally (of dubious loyalty) that also has no interest in the Earth but rather in the "Doomsday Device". Lol, jk; the aliens actually want to blow up New York taxis, and never bother ever attempting to obtain, protect or use the Doomsday Device in any way other way other than as an excuse for their taxi destruction antics. But hey; any excuse for cool explosions man! Want a aircraft carrier. Sure. Hell let's make it fly. So it's not a ship but an aircraft... carrying aircraft. Oh, and let's have it invisible. Actually... perhaps scratch the invisibility. Continuity error? Who'll notice! Sure, the aircraft command centre is only an excuse to have a localised firefight! For this purpose we will also have a high-security prison cell, nuclear research facility, weapons R&D and an army barracks on board. Sure why else would you have the supervillan, the Hulk, and the enemy's most powerful weapon all located at the centre of your command HQ? However, luckily for the good guys Bruce Banner for no reason presented on screen manages to work out how to control his Hulk form for the duration of the film. Continuity error? Ah, hell, we want to see the Hulk smashing bad guys, right?

Don't get me wrong; the fight sequences are cool, even though I would have preferred a universe where the US military existed in some shape or form (apparently the flying aircraft carriers also holds the entire stockpile of US nukes as well). The villains always seem outclassed; having only one named character who is no match even for his (adoptive) brother alone, let alone a whole posse of superheroes. Robert Downey Jr certainly buoys up the mood of the film, and some neat quips provide some laughs, but the Avengers is an entirely forgettable, if inoffensive, lights and noise affair. Worth a casual watch, particularly if drunk and with friends.
  63. Oct 8, 2012
    A perfectly average superhero movie...

A perfectly average superhero movie...

I didn't see this for a while and some friends hyped it up as the best thing ever. I was pretty disappointed to begin with, because at the start there are some problems with the main characters. With having so many it was bound to happen... but still, it just doesn't feel right and I can't put my finger on it. Having said that, later on it gets better... much better. The characters find their niches and they come to life. I was just hoping they'd be a bit more interesting beforehand. They contrast nicely and work better than in their own films at times. There are some great action sequences and some memorable moments and it's all very fun. It's just not very complicated at all. I was expecting more a X-Men First Class or Watchmen vibe to it. (I know that was a silly idea now)

The problem is that you'd expect a film like this to blow you away and really immerse you, but honestly I turned it off halfway through and came back to it. Where as with First Class I watched it start to finish and then went back to some scenes again because it was soooo bad-ass. It takes a while to get going and then never really goes anywhere *that* interesting once it does. This is probably because the whole point of the film was to bring the avengers together and set them up for a sequel. If that's it then fair play, good film, point made. But First Class did that AND gave the guys something pretty interesting to do and also make some bold claims about sociology. ( I do love and highly recommend that film)

All in all it's alright. If you are going to see it, you've probably seen it by now. If not, catch it on Sky Movies in a few months or something when you're bored because it's not that special. On the other hand if you fancy a very good superhero-group origin film, with some top acting, interesting characters and a bit more depth... watch X-Men First Class.
  64. Jan 6, 2013
    This movie was just bad. I love Joss Whedon but he needs a guy sitting over him while he is writing to tell him his jokes aren't funny. They chose the storyline that doesn't connect with the others on the least likeable character. All the other avengers are really good at something or science gave them powers but Thor is just a heavy handed dueche that has powers because of the cop outThis movie was just bad. I love Joss Whedon but he needs a guy sitting over him while he is writing to tell him his jokes aren't funny. They chose the storyline that doesn't connect with the others on the least likeable character. All the other avengers are really good at something or science gave them powers but Thor is just a heavy handed dueche that has powers because of the cop out that he is a god. There were redeeming factors due to the Sp. Effects and Scarlett Johanson's butt. Expand
  65. Dec 13, 2013
    It has to be pretty hard to do a movie with all these super heroes together and not do a horrible movie. So if only because it´s not a disaster by any means I give it a pass with a score of 5 out of 10. Apart from that the movie is not impacting or emotional or emotive or anything. It just keep you entertained while it lasts. But you quickly forget about it the moment it is over. NotIt has to be pretty hard to do a movie with all these super heroes together and not do a horrible movie. So if only because it´s not a disaster by any means I give it a pass with a score of 5 out of 10. Apart from that the movie is not impacting or emotional or emotive or anything. It just keep you entertained while it lasts. But you quickly forget about it the moment it is over. Not impressive at all. Batman or Spiderman movies have so much more emotional content and lasting impact, just to give two examples. The thing that should be unquestionable is the great visual effects, but even that becomes not that impressive only a year later, when we had in 2013 several blockbusters doing it better and bigger, especially Star Trek into Darkness and Man of Steel (the most epic action in a super hero movie to date). Not even the score is especially good or something like in Nolan´s Batman or Man of Steel cases. Really forgettable no matter how much money it did thanks to the normal publicity generated by putting all these super heros together. Expand
  66. Mar 27, 2013
    Just a bunch of fighting scenes with less than desirable dialogue and plot.
  67. Jun 17, 2013
    Great visuals but I really can't understand all the hype for the avengers i found it entertaining no more no less it's so overrated and predictable
  68. Jul 24, 2013
    Rather than the Avengers It felt like the Averages, I decided to wait a while before attempting this movie and I gotta say it felt like alot of friends hyped this movie up with nothing substantial to back it up. It felt like I watched a big argument of super heroes until it was time to serious up and fight space aliens, and... thats it, no serious amounts of tension save for the takingRather than the Avengers It felt like the Averages, I decided to wait a while before attempting this movie and I gotta say it felt like alot of friends hyped this movie up with nothing substantial to back it up. It felt like I watched a big argument of super heroes until it was time to serious up and fight space aliens, and... thats it, no serious amounts of tension save for the taking down of the Helicarrier. Expand
  69. Aug 6, 2013
    Incredibly cliched, predictable and shallow.
    - No tension or suspense.
    - Cheesy one liners. - Not a shred of seriousness or genuine emotion. - Lame main villain. - Little to no character development. - Annoying bickering between characters. - Repetitive, linear, predictable, and ridiculous plot that features Loki repeatedly escaping from the avengers. - Bits of humor. -
    Incredibly cliched, predictable and shallow.
    - No tension or suspense.
    - Cheesy one liners.
    - Not a shred of seriousness or genuine emotion.
    - Lame main villain.
    - Little to no character development.
    - Annoying bickering between characters.
    - Bits of humor.
    - Good performance from Robert Downey Jr.
    - Good action and special effects.

Could be one of the most overrated movies of all-time! The second time that I watched it, I fell asleep about an hour into it. It's not a horrible movie, but it's definitely NOT a perfect 10/10. The first Ironman and Captain America were much more logical and had more dimensions to their plots.
    THIS IS FAR FROM A PERFECT MOVIE.
  70. Aug 8, 2013
    I walked into the theater expecting something great and I couldn't wait to finally see what everyone was raving about. I was disappointed. Though the action scenes were exciting and the character played by Tom Hiddleson was pleasing, the dialogue throughout the movie was terrible and forced. It seemed like the scenes that wasn't accompanied by fighting was boring and uneventful. This movieI walked into the theater expecting something great and I couldn't wait to finally see what everyone was raving about. I was disappointed. Though the action scenes were exciting and the character played by Tom Hiddleson was pleasing, the dialogue throughout the movie was terrible and forced. It seemed like the scenes that wasn't accompanied by fighting was boring and uneventful. This movie had a great story line and plot but failed to be put together correctly. Expand
  71. Dec 22, 2013
    Special effects, explosions, men and women in tight clothing, building on the franchise. It's your average superhero movie, what can I say. I'm biased, for sure, I don't mind Marvel's movieverse(s) and have grown attached to their cinematic versions of the heroes I had originally been introduced to through the comics. If you're either an avid and loyal fan of the original comic books orSpecial effects, explosions, men and women in tight clothing, building on the franchise. It's your average superhero movie, what can I say. I'm biased, for sure, I don't mind Marvel's movieverse(s) and have grown attached to their cinematic versions of the heroes I had originally been introduced to through the comics. If you're either an avid and loyal fan of the original comic books or not much of a Marvel fan at all, it's probably a movie you can go without watching. Knowing more about the characters beforehand definitely adds sentimental appeal and perhaps provides more entertainment; it's a hunk of fanboy/girl material and clever marketing. Expand
  72. May 4, 2014
    The Avengers: 6/10 "Correcta"

Una buena película que tiene como principal virtud juntar a varios superhéroes de Marvel con éxito,pero no tiene una buena historia y por momentos se siente muy monótona.
  73. May 20, 2012
    This kind of movie is for the young at heart and mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that-been there done that-it's just such a repetitive genre. Invincible people beat up on invincible people. No-one gets hurt- major damage to buildings though-and then they do it again. Hulk gets the best scenes and Iron Man gets the best lines. In the end after 1/3 of greater New York City isThis kind of movie is for the young at heart and mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that-been there done that-it's just such a repetitive genre. Invincible people beat up on invincible people. No-one gets hurt- major damage to buildings though-and then they do it again. Hulk gets the best scenes and Iron Man gets the best lines. In the end after 1/3 of greater New York City is demolished Mayor Bloomberg (or whoever in the future where Aircraft carriers fly) asks for Stimulus money from.......Odin? Expand
  74. Jan 17, 2013
    I obviously don't hold the popular opinion here, but to me this movie just didn't measure up. I've seen both Iron Man movies, Captain America, and many of the past Marvel movies including characters featured in this film, and I thought most if not all of them were better than this one. Maybe it's just that I've outgrown the more playful and mindlessly violent tone of these types of movies,I obviously don't hold the popular opinion here, but to me this movie just didn't measure up. I've seen both Iron Man movies, Captain America, and many of the past Marvel movies including characters featured in this film, and I thought most if not all of them were better than this one. Maybe it's just that I've outgrown the more playful and mindlessly violent tone of these types of movies, but to me the movie just felt childish and simplistic. I realize that in a way, it's a great triumph seeing this crazy symphony of classic Marvel characters clashing with enemies and sometimes themselves, which in a way makes it the perfect superhero movie, but it just doesn't seem to create the same type of captivation one would expect from such an ordeal. It just feels goofy and undeveloped in a sense, unfortunately. Expand
  75. Jan 3, 2013
    This is one of the most overrated movies I've seen this year. A weak and predictable plot masked by tons of action and great special effects. Limited character development also made it difficult to be invested in any of the characters. A waste of a good cast.
  76. Jun 10, 2012
    It is not good, but it isn't bad either. I don't like how according to the film no one died during the attack on New York. This film is nearly ruined because of that. I really do like Captain America though. I don't think that Chris Hemsworth is any good at playing Thor. I don't get the praise for the film, but maybe that's because I don't care about the comics and don't give a damn ifIt is not good, but it isn't bad either. I don't like how according to the film no one died during the attack on New York. This film is nearly ruined because of that. I really do like Captain America though. I don't think that Chris Hemsworth is any good at playing Thor. I don't get the praise for the film, but maybe that's because I don't care about the comics and don't give a damn if every moment is filled with some fan boy's dream. Look, all I want is a good film. Collapse
  77. Oct 5, 2012
    Joss Whedon's widely influenced summer spectacular offers 130 minutes of popcorn-friendly fun, yet fails to deliver anything more than run-of-the-mill escapist entertainment. Tom Hiddleston is superb as Shakespearian villain Loki and Mark Ruffallo gives The Hulk some heart, yet the film's character development is minimal, its plot slow and formulaic, and its screenplay drizzled in gooeyJoss Whedon's widely influenced summer spectacular offers 130 minutes of popcorn-friendly fun, yet fails to deliver anything more than run-of-the-mill escapist entertainment. Tom Hiddleston is superb as Shakespearian villain Loki and Mark Ruffallo gives The Hulk some heart, yet the film's character development is minimal, its plot slow and formulaic, and its screenplay drizzled in gooey one-liners and excessive fanboy cream. Things pick up a little during the final act, but even a swooping, snarling Manhattan sky-battle isn't enough to save The Avengers from feeling bloated and underwhelming. Expand
  78. May 8, 2012
    I think that the movie was a bit slow at first but then picked up a bit near the end. I did not enjoy the movie as much as everyone told me I would. I thought it was very okay compared to the other superhero movies. Some of the jokes they made were funny, but others were very lame. I just think that they may have relied a little too much on the effects rather than the story. I did not feelI think that the movie was a bit slow at first but then picked up a bit near the end. I did not enjoy the movie as much as everyone told me I would. I thought it was very okay compared to the other superhero movies. Some of the jokes they made were funny, but others were very lame. I just think that they may have relied a little too much on the effects rather than the story. I did not feel attached to any of the characters. Perhaps the only character I felt was the most fun to watch was Bruce Banner who played the Hulk. They are all amazing superheroes individually, but I did not feel the chemistry between them as a team. Expand
  79. Jun 3, 2012
    The 3-D Is Amazing And Epic!
    We Want Somthing New Not Another Freaking Superhero Movie...
    THINK
  80. Jul 12, 2012
    This movie was very tasteless. There was not much of a story and when it started getting good it went right back down. I think it is just too many superheros for one movie. Many questions that came up for the things that just made nosense.
  81. Apr 17, 2013
    Why. Why is there support for a bland film such as this? I'm telling you, it's just not that good. The characters are virtually the same. None of them have any real interesting characteristics or attributes that grabbed my attention other than Samuel L. Jackson simply because he is Samuel L. Jackson. Robert Downey Jr. and the other Avengers all act at the same level of socialWhy. Why is there support for a bland film such as this? I'm telling you, it's just not that good. The characters are virtually the same. None of them have any real interesting characteristics or attributes that grabbed my attention other than Samuel L. Jackson simply because he is Samuel L. Jackson. Robert Downey Jr. and the other Avengers all act at the same level of social communication, but they jut have arguments in between to fool the audience that there is tension in the film. The villain is a laughable archetype in the movie, included with the most original lines such as "I will rule this world" and "The end of this world is nigh". 80% of the movie takes place on the airship with nothing to do but squabble and run into accidents. It's extremely boring, and the special effects and "classic comic lines" are not worth my time nor should they be worth anybody's. The Avengers does not deserve the praise it gets. Expand
  82. Dec 31, 2012
    This is a very silly movie that is Swiss-cheese full of holes. If your thing is Marvel comic books, and you really want to see eponymous figures from the various comics come together then... this is for you I guess (unless having heroes pointlessly bickering to create faux dramatic tension gets on your nerves).

Its got some spectacle I suppose. Silly spectacle that ultimately makes no

Its got some spectacle I suppose. Silly spectacle that ultimately makes no sense (flying, invisible aircraft carrier that is vulnerable when flying, typically doesn't bother engaging invisibility, has nuclear missiles but can only launch them... from other aircraft... Hell the entire carrier almost gets taken out by an... exploding arrow... Christ). Get drunk if you are going to try and watch this film - it really, really helps.
  83. Jul 19, 2013
    todos los superheroes serie una peliculas de 10.00. horas sin embargo solo accion no rellena el vacio de lo monotono no es merecida de grandes cosas como son cada uno de sus heroes
  84. Oct 6, 2013
    I had been waiting to watch this movie, as it looked cool enough. I mean; Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye teaming up to fight aliens? Awesome! Unfortunately, the first 45 minutes are kinda boring. I mean what good superhero movie starts with a pretty boring car chase and bland dialogue/scripts? I personally think it's pretty overrated. Cliched,I had been waiting to watch this movie, as it looked cool enough. I mean; Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye teaming up to fight aliens? Awesome! Unfortunately, the first 45 minutes are kinda boring. I mean what good superhero movie starts with a pretty boring car chase and bland dialogue/scripts? I personally think it's pretty overrated. Cliched, predictable and shallow. I liked Loki though and liked the superheros fighting aliens.

However, there's also a lot of mistakes with the plot. For example, while Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America are fighting, they leave Loki, their supervillain prisoner unattended. Also, SHIELD's entire Heli-Carrier is almost destroyed by one freaking arrow. All of The Avengers talk and pretend to have ear pieces even though they don't have any. Also, the Chitauri are nothing like they are in the comics. (And there's that annoying bickering between characters...) Overall, I expected much better from Marvel.

If you like this review, read my other ones and mark this as helpful.
  85. Dec 7, 2013
    I had never thought that I would see this kind of movie-franchise team up, and I have to congratulate Marvel for doing something that is now being copied by Sony and Fox (with their Spiderman and X-Men franchises). I mean; Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye teaming up to fight aliens? What? Unfortunately, the first 45 minutes are kinda boring. The car chaseI had never thought that I would see this kind of movie-franchise team up, and I have to congratulate Marvel for doing something that is now being copied by Sony and Fox (with their Spiderman and X-Men franchises). I mean; Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye teaming up to fight aliens? What? Unfortunately, the first 45 minutes are kinda boring. The car chase in the beginning is boring. I personally think it's overrated. I liked Loki, but he and his army seem pretty weak. I just didn't enjoy this movie. HowevervI like the action.

Overall, I expected much better from Marvel.

(P.S, you may have seen this review by me under "andrewgarcia 732". I can't get into my old account and have started new one.

As always, If you liked or didn't like this review, you can read my other ones and mark this review as helpful.)
  86. Apr 19, 2015
    When trouble-making Asgardian reject Loki (Hiddleston) launches an attack on Earth, S. H. I. E. L. D. boss Nick Fury (Jackson) decides it’s time to call in the big guns, and gathers Captain America (Evans), Bruce Banner (Ruffalo), Thor (Hemsworth) and even Iron Man (Downey Jr.) together in one elite fighting team. Good luck with that...

So Overrated! First off let me say i love Marvel

So Overrated! First off let me say i love Marvel movies but what the hell happened!

Marvel Studios unveils its costliest special-effects demo to date; somewhere beneath the nonstop digital explosions lies a story about superheroes fighting an evil demigod from space. Every now and then, director Joss Whedon (Serenity) executes a quirky camera set-up to assert that the film was created by him and not a team of marketing executives. Of the star-studded cast, only Mark Ruffalo (playing Bruce Banner) and Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man) bring any personality to the place-holder dialogue. Overlong, monotonous, generic alien creatures, and simple-minded, this is like one of those “World’s Biggest Gang Bang” videos, except that no one onscreen appears to be enjoying himself. With Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner. PLUS I CAN'T STAND LOKI!!!!!!!!

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.