8.0

1. Jul 21, 2016
    The Avengers is a fun, action-packed superhero movie that brings some of Marvel's greatest heroes together with mostly entertaining results. The film features a good balance of wry humour and action, and even allows its characters to have flaws, adding enough dramatic tension to match its blockbuster scale. Tom Hiddleston shines as Loki, making him the best villain in the Marvel CinematicThe Avengers is a fun, action-packed superhero movie that brings some of Marvel's greatest heroes together with mostly entertaining results. The film features a good balance of wry humour and action, and even allows its characters to have flaws, adding enough dramatic tension to match its blockbuster scale. Tom Hiddleston shines as Loki, making him the best villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The rest of the cast all get their chance to shine, thanks to a script that successfully gives them all a fair share of screen time. However, I did have a few issues- the climax went on a little too long for my liking, and the plot could be a bit slow- but overall, The Avengers compensates for its flaws with an action-packed plot and a talented cast. Good for superhero fans. Expand
  2. Jul 2, 2016
    This movie was great. It had a great script and the titular characters were awesome, one of the best superhero movies ever. It was funny and the fight scenes were incredible.
  3. Jun 1, 2016
    This film gets so much praise, undeservingly so. With a lame villain, and boring hero conflict. It gets boring to watch the superhero pissing contest, especially if most of the heroes are boring.
  4. May 30, 2016
    With bright and good planning performances, "The Avengers" is a team of movie that everyone wanted to see and honor aspects of your source material with good script and great action scenes.
  5. May 30, 2016
    This is the best marvel movie to date.

Why?

Comedy, action, adventure and sc-ifi is the perfect combination to make an antidote for a masterpiece.

I went to see this masterpiece 3 times in theatres and actually got a shirt, that's how good the movie is.
  6. May 17, 2016
    "The Avengers. That's what we call ourselves; we're sort of like a team. "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" type thing."

The Avengers is like a dream come true and I mean that in the truest sense of the phrase. But for me it less because of the superhero team-up movie aspect, but more so for that fact that the writer/director behind the superhero team-up movie is Joss Whedon. I remember when this movie was coming out and it was announced that Whedon was on board to write and direct and my response was: "yeah, sure he is. I'll believe that when I see it," I have seen it (five times now) and it's great!

We're used to seeing multiple heroes on screen now but back in 2012 it was something special to see superheroes team up to kick ass, although granted the X-Men (who are technically mutants not superheroes I know but same difference) had been doing this since 2000, this was the Avengers, a wholly different kettle of fish.

So much care is given to each character in this movie, no one character shines brighter than another and everyone has a cool moment that you talk about when the movie comes up; "yeah that movie was awesome, remember when ______ did ______, that was so cool!"

The Avengers is the yardstick I use to measure all the following Marvel movies and to mind it's yet to beat.
  7. May 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is one of the few things in my lifetime that not only lived up to my expectations but even surpassed them. The wait was definitely worth it as the characters are fully realized when they put in the one liners. Each hero has the right amount of screen time with some good moments. Each one has their own personalty and each has a standout moment in their respective scenes. The action sequences are also pretty impressive as both an emotional connection and some visual impressive set pieces. Unlike Transformers, the action never gets tiring because you actually care about the people involved in the action and the film takes it time to breath. Loki is even more mischievous in this film as he still keeps you guessing even though we know that he is the villain. The Hulk even has some great moments as he reveals his secret about him being always angry and when he slammed Loki to the ground and muffled "Puny God". Josh Weadon was the perfect choice to write and direct this film since he perfectly understands these characters and to not take the material too seriously. His trademark witty dialogue really makes this film. There is not much else to say about this film other than the fact that I consider this film to be the perfect summer blockbuster. The action is engaging, the story line is simple but still intriguing, and the audience had the perfect responses to any given situation. Expand
  8. Apr 17, 2016
    The Avengers unites the whole team of bests superheroes in all Marvel universe, for become them in something more..., something one-of-a-kind.p, finishing on an epic film full of action, comedy and terrific interpretations. It could have some kind of boring story-telling on the middle and some little bad aspects on the during parts. But it's a great movie with a good premise. Marvel fansThe Avengers unites the whole team of bests superheroes in all Marvel universe, for become them in something more..., something one-of-a-kind.p, finishing on an epic film full of action, comedy and terrific interpretations. It could have some kind of boring story-telling on the middle and some little bad aspects on the during parts. But it's a great movie with a good premise. Marvel fans will be very pleased with this film's result. Expand
  9. Apr 17, 2016
    Very good movie. Cannot go wrong that's for sure. I give it an 8 because the story simply is not as good as super hero movies like batman. The action is really good and the effects are awesome. Definitely worth seeing.
  10. Apr 11, 2016
    Was such a great experience watching this film on opening night.

As a superhero film, this pretty much ticks all the boxes. Incredibly fun, action packed topped with great humour. The cast was amazing with Tom Hiddleston getting a honourable mention as the primary antagonist, Loki. He was great in Thor, however in this film, he really took the spotlight. A great villain and a great
    Was such a great experience watching this film on opening night.

The cast was amazing with Tom Hiddleston getting a honourable mention as the primary antagonist, Loki. He was great in Thor, however in this film, he really took the spotlight. A great villain and a great reason to bring Earth's Mightiest Heroes together.

Every character played their part well, with Captain America and Iron Man being my favourite heroes. Ruffalo played a great Bruce Banner/Hulk and I'm excited to see him in future instalments.

The dialogue wasn't the greatest, however it suited the genre and tone of the film.

It was no masterpiece, however it was a lot of fun and exciting to see these heroes come together.

(Someone please fire the costume designer -- Captain Americas costume was even worse than his first outfit.. and that was designed in the 40's!)
  11. Mar 28, 2016
    Although the movie is a game changer for the genre, it certainly isn't as good as people make it out to be. It has numerous flaws that are ignored and is immensely overrated (not a bad movie though).
  12. Mar 26, 2016
  13. Mar 25, 2016
    This could've easily gone horribly wrong, but Joss Whedon does an admiral job of balancing the amount of screen time these characters get. Nothing really wrong I can point out, but nothing truly great either.
  14. Mar 24, 2016
    While it has several plot holes, that should not stop anyone from watching this action packed adventure featuring our favourite marvel heroes joing together to kick ass.
  15. Mar 20, 2016
    More overrated than Avatar!

More overrated than Avatar!

Marvel Studios unveils its costliest special-effects demo to date; somewhere beneath the nonstop digital explosions lies a story about superheroes fighting an evil demigod from space. Every now and then, director Joss Whedon (Serenity) executes a quirky camera set-up to assert that the film was created by him and not a team of marketing executives. Of the star-studded cast, only Mark Ruffalo (playing Bruce Banner) and Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man) bring any personality to the place-holder dialogue. Overlong, monotonous, violent, and simple-minded, this is like one of those “World’s Biggest Gang Bang” videos, except that no one onscreen appears to be enjoying himself. With Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner.
  16. Mar 14, 2016
    WHAT I LIKE: 'The Avengers' defines the comic book movie. It's explosive, fun, action packed, pop-corn entertainment taken to the next level. The feeling of seeing the characters you love, interact for the first time can never be repeated. The confrontations, the jokes, the teamwork, it all feels so real. How? Well, the acting is class A stuff, but Whedon's direction here is nothing shortWHAT I LIKE: 'The Avengers' defines the comic book movie. It's explosive, fun, action packed, pop-corn entertainment taken to the next level. The feeling of seeing the characters you love, interact for the first time can never be repeated. The confrontations, the jokes, the teamwork, it all feels so real. How? Well, the acting is class A stuff, but Whedon's direction here is nothing short of amazing - it gives the movie heart. Really, it's a wonder it doesn't collapse under it's own weight. But but thanks to a mix of smart writing and exciting action it really, really doesn't; Whedon recognises the equal importance of some great scenes without all that fighting to ground the team dynamic and character relationships. So thankfully their dynamics are pegged perfectly, the tone of the humour and lightheartedness overall is well done, and the new characters are all great too. Oh, and that final action scene just makes it. Wow.
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Some bits are a teeny bit cringe-worthy if I'm honest like the goofy costumes, cheesy lines and the odd bit of bad CGI. But it arguably adds to it's ballsy comic book charm.
    VERDICT: It might not be flawless, but I haven't felt this way since Star Wars. It's monumental in how it makes you feel - proud, thrilled and downright happy.
  17. Mar 13, 2016
    La película era la más esperaba luego de ver a sus protagonistas de forma individual, pero verlos juntos en una misma cinta, era algo que nunca se hizo jamás, me la vi, y simplemente era todo lo que esperaba de algo tan innovador, la disfruté muy bien de principio a fin, toda la trama se entralaza con las previas entregas de Marvel Studios y como los distintos personajes aprendían aLa película era la más esperaba luego de ver a sus protagonistas de forma individual, pero verlos juntos en una misma cinta, era algo que nunca se hizo jamás, me la vi, y simplemente era todo lo que esperaba de algo tan innovador, la disfruté muy bien de principio a fin, toda la trama se entralaza con las previas entregas de Marvel Studios y como los distintos personajes aprendían a trabajar en equipo para enfrentar a un mal masivo, la acción evoluciona mientras la película avanza, en la parte de la batalla final, me sentí como si volviera a tener 10 años, jamás una película me hizo sentir de esa manera, esta hizo a un lado las películas de los Transformers por mucho, en cuanto al elenco, todos han vuelto a hacer una buena interpretación de sus personajes y estos han progresado desde sus últimas apariciones, la Viuda Negra ha tenido más relevancia, se ha dado a conocer un poco de su historia, Mark Ruffalo como Bruce Banner y Hulk, le hace genial, supera por mucho a Edward Norton, no digo que Norton sea malo, pero Ruffalo hace un Banner casi parecido al que solía hacer el desaparecido Bill Bixby, aunque también me gustó con su álter ego verde, hasta el diseño de este es el mejor logrado y más realista de todos, hasta en la cara se parece a al de Ruffalo, me gustó que la historia de la peli estuviera basada en el número 1 de 1963 y The Ultimates, razón por que Loki vuelve a ser antagonista en esta película y lo hace bien y mejor, pero en mi caso no llega a quitarle protagonismo a los héroes, para terminar la película no me gustó, me encantó, tiene mucha acción en lo que dura la cinta, buena trama y todos los héroes tiene un protagonismo equilibrado, nadie opaca al otro, sin duda alguna se ha convertido en una de las mejores de Marvel, con un éxito tanto en crítica y público y la razón por qué ahora otros estudios de cine quieren hacer sus universos compartidos, pero nadie se va a comparar con Marvel que lo hizo primero con años de planeamiento y un gran elenco de actores que dan vida en esta franquicia, Joss Whedon ha conseguido dirigir y escribir una gran historia, la admiración de muchos por esta película que ha hecho historia en la cultura popular. Expand
  18. Mar 6, 2016
    It's a great superheroes movie with humor, many action and a very good acting. The story is good and The Avengers are a great team ! YOU MUST SEE THE MOVIE
  19. Feb 29, 2016
    This movie deserves high praise for being the first of it's kind (for the most part). What other movie had 4 set-up films developing the main character's backstory for one major super-hero team-up to decide the fate of the fictional world. Of course this movie's action is epic in all the right places and each hero gets there time to shine (once again, for the most part). While I do haveThis movie deserves high praise for being the first of it's kind (for the most part). What other movie had 4 set-up films developing the main character's backstory for one major super-hero team-up to decide the fate of the fictional world. Of course this movie's action is epic in all the right places and each hero gets there time to shine (once again, for the most part). While I do have minor gripes such as Captain America's costume looking silly and corny (unlike the other films he appears in) and Hawkeye's role in the film, this movie still delivers on each and every promise it made. We get to see interesting conflict between the famous heroes and see them throw-down side by side in very well done action set-pieces. One particular sequence deserves high praise, in which it pans through all the heroes fighting the aliens which threaten the planet, starting from Black Widow to Hawkeye to Captain America and Iron-Man and finally the mighty tag-team of Hulk and Thor. With a satisfying climaxending and a great performing cast, "Marvel's The Avengers" is very close to a masterpiece that does the comics acceptable justice. Expand
  20. Feb 27, 2016
    Wow very good movie.. I like avengers so much, The Avengers is a great film and the best film than DC film. But Marvel is so Awsome more than DC.. marvel is my favorite!
  21. Feb 11, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The avengers is the long awaited movie where marvels greatest heroes join forces. Firstly, the cast is fantastic and this movie and they do a good job of making you like the characters. The plot is really great as well and possibly the most interesting in all of phase 1. The villain Loki is just as good and arguably cooler than he was in Thor and the CGI and the fight scenes were great. But the highlight of this movie has to be the Hulk. He was done 10 times better than in the incredible hulk, and Mark Ruffalo plays him better than Edward Norton. However despite me overloading with good things there are some problems too. First off, I didn't like how Hawkeye was written in this film, and it made it worse when he got hypnotized by Loki. Altogether The Avengers is a fantastic movie and is easily on terms with The Dark Knight on quality. Expand
  22. Feb 8, 2016
    I never really understood that hype and acclaim that came with The Avengers. It came out at the same time as The Dark Knight Rises and seemingly was thought by many to be the better movie, something I completely disagree with. The Avengers was entertaining but that was about it, this movie is clearly targeted for kids and young adults as the less than stellar pacing, clichéd dialogue andI never really understood that hype and acclaim that came with The Avengers. It came out at the same time as The Dark Knight Rises and seemingly was thought by many to be the better movie, something I completely disagree with. The Avengers was entertaining but that was about it, this movie is clearly targeted for kids and young adults as the less than stellar pacing, clichéd dialogue and cookie cutter plot that I felt crippled the film in almost every way. I get that its a superhero movie, but that doesn't make up for how painfully sloppy this film was to me. While the action toward the end of the film and the awesome special effects make the movie at least somewhat watchable, its fair for me to say that as an impartial fan of both Marvel and DC that The Avengers was not nearly half the movie the TDKR was. 6.4/10 Expand
  23. Jan 28, 2016
    Love it mostly becuse I love heros I love Tony Stark's funny puns, Steve Rogers seriosness, Bruce Banner's caution, Clint Barton's awesome arrows, Thor's accent, Natasha's badass moves and of cause Loki's sexiness and I love AC/DC
  24. cjb
    Jan 9, 2016
    Honestly this movie was a dream come true. The movie definitely lived up to its hype and delivered one of the best superhero movies to date. Easily one of my favorite movies of all time.
  25. Jan 8, 2016
    Avengers has lot of great actors and lot of good moments. Best part is that this movie has combined lot of super heroes and their team work is really nice to watch.
  26. Jan 4, 2016
    Marvel's superhero team named the Avengers has came to the movies 3 years ago. Even now, it's still a fun blast during the entire movie. Maybe close or far enough to a 10, I gave it a 9.
  27. Jan 3, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm sorry. This movie just doesn't do it for me. I'm an old guy, but I like super-hero movies. They're a guilty pleasure for me, like fast food. I know they're junk, but junk can be enjoyable. This particular burger , however, didn't have much flavor. It's big, big in every way. It follows the first rule of theatrical combat--it's sustained. When there's a fight it goes on for quite a while. The characters bang away at each other and finally at the common enemy for long periods. Huge sets get destroyed, costumes get torn, faces are bloodied. At first one gets the impression that the big money spent on making the film is well-displayed on the screen. And then one begins to doubt that.

A few minutes after the story ended, and the banging and thundering no longer echoed in the room, the problem became clearer. I thought about the scene of the enemy soldiers pouring out of the metal monster and I asked myself to think about a real army. How large is an infantry division I asked myself. When I studied such matters when I was earning my commission as a second lieutenant an infantry division might number about ten thousand men and women. On screen we were witnessing an interplanetary war. Surely one division would be employed in such an undertaking. After all, the soldiers who poured out of the sky were equipped with rather modest weapons. I mean that the soldiers on their airborne scooters did not each carry a weapon of mass destruction. These were beefed up infantrymen, or some kind of mechanized cavalry. In a "war" they'd be sent in brigades and divisions and whole armies.

I've seen movies that portrayed war on a proper scale. One of Zhang Yimou's films employed at least 10,000 extras for a combat scene in a film made about 15 years ago. It's possible to use cgi to replace real people, but if it's going to look realistic one has to put some money into these digital masses.

The current film actually operates on a rather small scale. Looking at the cast list, which had lots of well known names on it one wonders how it cost to have so many big time players. A couple of hundred million dollars isn't that much when a single name can cost several million dollars.

I'm sorry to be a spoilsport, but I think that an amped up soundtrack, lots of explosions, a ton of broken pretend glass, and heavy work on a leather bag by the foley artist don't add up to a really big time experience.

As for the plot...well let's just say it has a pasted together quality that comes from deciding in advance on the number of fight scenes to be shot. This is a carnival ride approach to story telling. How many loops shall we take the audience through before putting on the brakes.

I notice that the two Avengers movies made by this crew run exactly the same length (within one minute on a base of 140 minutes).

As I said at the beginning of this critique I knew at the outset that I was going for some cinematic fast food. My complaint is that I wasn't served fast food, this is some kind of synthetic product. It certainly has no nutritional value, and on that basis I'd keep it away from the kids. It's Awfully violent. It doesn't tell a clear coherent story, the acting is often dreadful, What we have is a money making machine that doesn't give you much even if you only spend a few dollars on it to see it on your home screen. For a lot more money you can see its sequel on the big screen. That may make it look more impressive, but I for one will not be in that audience.
  28. Dec 30, 2015
    Idealny film na "rozerwanie się" po ciężkim dniu, albo idealna odskocznia od poważniejszej kinematografii. Po za tym, to dobra komedia. Bohaterowie nie są jednowymiarowi, a historia nie nudzi. Warto tylko wtedy jak skończą się wam filmy do oglądania.
  29. Dec 23, 2015
    When I went to see it with my brothers and my dad , I didnt know at all about The Avengers (not even lei spoilers of the film), but when i viewed for the first time in the cinema, I was amazed . I didnt know about the characters but i still loved, and it wasnt only the first Marvel movie I saw in theaters, but that made me love Marvel movies (and I see currently in theaters) . The AvengersWhen I went to see it with my brothers and my dad , I didnt know at all about The Avengers (not even lei spoilers of the film), but when i viewed for the first time in the cinema, I was amazed . I didnt know about the characters but i still loved, and it wasnt only the first Marvel movie I saw in theaters, but that made me love Marvel movies (and I see currently in theaters) . The Avengers has everything to be the perfect film (for now) of Marvel: It has action, comedy, a lot of special effects, great actors and even an amazing villain. Currently if quit a Marvel film in theaters, I go directly to theaters to see it . The Avengers is recommended for geeks and fans of comics and heroes . Expand
  30. Dec 2, 2015
    The Avengers is the great superhero movie I've ever seen , seeing Nick Fury gathered the best Marvel superheroes , and see that quarry was removed , Iron Man , Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye , Hulk and of course , go movie eh !.
  31. Nov 15, 2015
    Very good. Lots of action. LOVED IT! All ages will enjoy this wonderful movie. One of the best superhero movies made. I loved it and everyone loved it.
  32. Nov 2, 2015
    If you want too see Marvel's greatest superheroes come together and kick ass, then this is the movie for you. The Avengers is a fun, explosive, entertaining movie that will leave fans happy when watching the movie.
  33. Oct 23, 2015
    Absolute cinematic perfection. This film could be used to teach a master class in cinematography and editing. And I'd take that class. And I'd get an A+.
  34. Oct 22, 2015
    This meeting of Marvel movie worlds makes for a satisfying and climactic battleground. The Avengers bursts with stunning combat visuals and memorable jokes while maintaining an enjoyable, suspenseful plot. Although one important actor has switched (Lou Ferrigno now as The Hulk) from the prequel films, Joss Whedon (director) still manages to pull off a beautiful, balanced infusion of theThis meeting of Marvel movie worlds makes for a satisfying and climactic battleground. The Avengers bursts with stunning combat visuals and memorable jokes while maintaining an enjoyable, suspenseful plot. Although one important actor has switched (Lou Ferrigno now as The Hulk) from the prequel films, Joss Whedon (director) still manages to pull off a beautiful, balanced infusion of the stars from each individual Avenger story. What ensues is the juxtaposition of modern urban warfare with cosmic weaponry and cosmic consequences. The Avengers is best watched after viewing Captain America and Iron Man (the other prequels are not up to standard). The Avengers is an iconic film for its revolutionary battle scenarios and its surprising humor. Expand
  35. Oct 10, 2015
    While it certainly has its flaws (such as the overly long climax), Avengers is still an epic finale to phase one of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Loki is still awesome, and the quips are as frequent as ever (wether that's good or bad is up to you).
  36. Sep 29, 2015
    Found this movie incredibly dull and childish, some parts were slightly amusing and the actors did a good job but overall I found it a unexceptional film. It was lacking excitement and had a overall un-captivating story line. I'm sure the kids loved it but I prefer my movies to be more mature.
  37. Sep 5, 2015
    Una muy buena pelicula. Los efectos especiales son impresionantes, la historia ese bastante buena, sobre todo como consiguen hacer que las historias de todos los super heroes del universo marvel que forman parte de los vengadores conecten tan bien entre si. Además de esto hay que sumarle el punto más fuerte de la película, LA DIVERSION. Puedo decir sin lugar a dudas que es una de lasUna muy buena pelicula. Los efectos especiales son impresionantes, la historia ese bastante buena, sobre todo como consiguen hacer que las historias de todos los super heroes del universo marvel que forman parte de los vengadores conecten tan bien entre si. Además de esto hay que sumarle el punto más fuerte de la película, LA DIVERSION. Puedo decir sin lugar a dudas que es una de las películas más divertidas que he visto, las escenas de acción son increibles, sobre todo la del final, la cual te deja con la boca abierta, el humor es bueno y los actores lo hacen de maravilla. Todo esto hace que la película tenga un gran re-watch value.
    Es una película que merece tu tiempo, si todavía no la has visto, hazlo YA.
  38. Aug 30, 2015
    Great movie!
    Great effects!
    Funny and entertaining; specially Tony Stark's sarcastic comments...
    But where the hell was the Army and Air Force when NY was under attack??!
  39. Jul 31, 2015
    High paced, pure superhero fun with enough kick-butt action to keep it genuinely hilarious, but still mind-bogglingly detailed without having it explained as a lot of superhero films fail to do today.
  40. Jul 7, 2015
    This movie was amazing. Because every superhero that in this movie had a solo film. You will not have a problem with characters. And movie as funny as a comedy movie. Action gets you very good. Final battle was awesome. I think The Loki is a great choice to be a villain in first Avengers movie.
  41. Jul 2, 2015
    I expected the brilliance of Joss Whedon to elevate this boring superheroes trend to a better quality, instead all I saw in this was glimpses of Joss Whedon's brilliance being held back by the boring superheroes trend.

I guess I can't say it's bad, but I didn't like it.
  42. Jun 26, 2015
    Seriously the best superhero movie ever? no way. It is very mediocre. Just a bunch of superheroes trying to one up each other while battling one of the least terrifying villains of all time.
  43. May 23, 2015
    The best super hero movie of all time? Not in my opinion but it's still one of the best. This movie is the story of how the Avengers first unite and it's made with good acting, superb CGI, and insane fight scenes. Whether you care for Marvel or not, this movie is worth a watch. If you do, though, you've surely already seen it. I give it an 8.5/10. I enjoyed it a lot but not as much asThe best super hero movie of all time? Not in my opinion but it's still one of the best. This movie is the story of how the Avengers first unite and it's made with good acting, superb CGI, and insane fight scenes. Whether you care for Marvel or not, this movie is worth a watch. If you do, though, you've surely already seen it. I give it an 8.5/10. I enjoyed it a lot but not as much as some. I mean, it definitely isn't as good as The Dark Knight but it's still a very good movie. Expand
  44. May 16, 2015
    A film great, very funny and entertaining, with great fight scenes and special effects, a good story, just thought a negative point is the imbalance of the importance of the characters in the movie, I thought the Iron Man and the Hulk stood out far more than Captain America, Thor and the Black Widow. And has the Hawkeye that was one of the main characters less important, but ultimately theA film great, very funny and entertaining, with great fight scenes and special effects, a good story, just thought a negative point is the imbalance of the importance of the characters in the movie, I thought the Iron Man and the Hulk stood out far more than Captain America, Thor and the Black Widow. And has the Hawkeye that was one of the main characters less important, but ultimately the film is very good. Expand
  45. May 13, 2015
    This movie seemed like a reasonably good addition to the Marvel canon. For full disclosure, I should comment that I was kind of confused for a lot of it, because I haven't seen any of the Thor movies, but I recognize that it's my fault I had trouble following. The air ships and seeing more inside of Shield was great, especially because it meant more Samuel L. Jackson. Loki is a reallyThis movie seemed like a reasonably good addition to the Marvel canon. For full disclosure, I should comment that I was kind of confused for a lot of it, because I haven't seen any of the Thor movies, but I recognize that it's my fault I had trouble following. The air ships and seeing more inside of Shield was great, especially because it meant more Samuel L. Jackson. Loki is a really great villain which makes it fun to watch, although I knew I was missing a lot because I didn't know the back story about his relationship with Thor, except what I'd been told by my moviepartner. Still, it seemed like he was a much more sympathetic enemy than a lot of the other comic book movies I've seen. The scenes where all the Avengers are together tend to have a fun dynamic, just because of all the banter and disagreements between the characters. The final climactic scene in New York is also really impressive; the creature-machines that came through the portal were really neat visually, although they seemed surprisingly easy to kill. Expand
  46. May 11, 2015
    The Avengers is a fun pop-corn movie. It is a pure entertainment and it is more than satisfying. The story might be a bit simple and lame, but you won't care at all.
  47. May 11, 2015
    A very well done action movie that was explosive. One of the biggest box office hits of all time and I can see why. There's something in this movie for everyone great action and some good comedy elements in there as well. It did feel long at times and I do find that this film is over rated but it is still a very good watch
  48. May 4, 2015
    Just saw the Avengers, after being recommended the Avengers: Age of Ultron and what a ride it was, an entertaining flick that innovates the idea of a movie universe where everything comes together. Joss Whedon outdoes himself in balancing out characters' screen time and legitimizing them in a balanced approach.
  49. May 3, 2015
    I was afraid that not having seen any of the individual movies (yes, I am a tad ashamed) would pose a problem while watching 'The Avengers', but there really was no room for fear. 'The Avengers' were certainly a test for Marvel's Cinematic Universe, a test about whether they can pull such a movie (i.e. a blend of several before-released individual movies with an ensemble cast that acts asI was afraid that not having seen any of the individual movies (yes, I am a tad ashamed) would pose a problem while watching 'The Avengers', but there really was no room for fear. 'The Avengers' were certainly a test for Marvel's Cinematic Universe, a test about whether they can pull such a movie (i.e. a blend of several before-released individual movies with an ensemble cast that acts as the main character, rather than each of the individual heroes themselves), and it did not go unnoticed. But, despite the visibly pulled brake, 'The Avengers' were exceptionally fun. The chemistry between the cast members (although I was sad not to see Ed Norton) was absolutely brilliant and they actually elevated their individual roles from the earlier movies to a completely new level. The plot was more-less consistent and not the least boring, and it actually all of the future installments quite nicely. Also, the puns were great, the humor in general, actually and you really did enjoy those funny moments and replicas between all that **** scenes. What I also liked is that 'The Avengers' never tried to simulate any depth; it was meant to be a fun action movie with all those lovable superheroes fighting together, being awesome and trashing stuff in order to crush the bad guys - and it was. They never tried to be something they weren't and they certainly did a brilliant job.

Whether you like comics or not, whether you like Marvel or not, whether you like the Avengers or not - this is a movie you should (not to say must) see as it will surely satisfy your needs.
  50. May 2, 2015
    extremely overrated, but still enjoyable. The one thing I wish this movie has was a better villain. Loki is so stupid and boring he dragged this movie down.
  51. May 1, 2015
    Superhero movies don't come any bigger than The Avengers. Joss Whedon delivers the must-see blockbuster for any serious Marvel Comcs fan. It offers enough memorable characters, sharp dialogue, spectacular special effects and impressive action to ensure multiple viewings.
  52. Apr 26, 2015
    I enjoyed this movie all of the marvel movies connected to the series are entertaining. Like any other movie I felt it could have been alot better. Great cast of actors and following a great story make this movie and it does not deliver a disappointment.
  53. Apr 24, 2015
    The movie was entertaining with great humour. Made me laugh a lot and good story line for the first avengers film. Wish if there where more characters in the team but its alright
  54. Apr 23, 2015
    Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Plus I can't stand LOKI!!!
  55. Apr 19, 2015
    When trouble-making Asgardian reject Loki (Hiddleston) launches an attack on Earth, S. H. I. E. L. D. boss Nick Fury (Jackson) decides it’s time to call in the big guns, and gathers Captain America (Evans), Bruce Banner (Ruffalo), Thor (Hemsworth) and even Iron Man (Downey Jr.) together in one elite fighting team. Good luck with that...

So Overrated! First off let me say i love Marvel

So Overrated! First off let me say i love Marvel movies but what the hell happened!

Marvel Studios unveils its costliest special-effects demo to date; somewhere beneath the nonstop digital explosions lies a story about superheroes fighting an evil demigod from space. Every now and then, director Joss Whedon (Serenity) executes a quirky camera set-up to assert that the film was created by him and not a team of marketing executives. Of the star-studded cast, only Mark Ruffalo (playing Bruce Banner) and Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man) bring any personality to the place-holder dialogue. Overlong, monotonous, generic alien creatures, and simple-minded, this is like one of those “World’s Biggest Gang Bang” videos, except that no one onscreen appears to be enjoying himself. With Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner. PLUS I CAN'T STAND LOKI!!!!!!!!
  56. Apr 13, 2015
    aaaaaaaaah avengers it was so effing sick i almost vomited all over my lap but that was fine since i used that as lube to wank with. but the one thing that pissed me off during wank 4 was that scarlett johansen kept being in the centre of all the **** shots i coudlnt wank over the hulk properly. uuuhhhhhhh avengers avengers

i almost **** cried when they had the schwarma uuhhhhhh for £3

i almost **** cried when they had the schwarma uuhhhhhh for £3 you can too if you live in liverpool at the schwarma cafe you will be just like the avengers, sorry uuuhhhhhhhh avengers. a dickhead **** you umayr
  57. Apr 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Avengers 2 is coming out soon so here are my opinions on the first movie. The story has Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk all teaming up to defeat Loki. Loki wants to destroy Earth because Thor sucks I guess his motives aren't really explained but whatever. My only real problem is the first 1/2 of the film has all the Avengers fighting and they are buddies the other 1/2. Loki isn't the best villain ever and as I said his motives aren't explained. There are a lot of good parts although!!! The CGI is good, I like how the different characters interact, and Black Widow is H-H-HOT!!! Except this movie has the most boring Marvel character I have ever seen: Hawkeye. I loved this movie and I think I'm gonna love the second one even more. 8/10. Black Widow Expand
  58. Mar 18, 2015
    After the heights and experiencing seeing 'Iron Man' (2008), 'Iron Man 2' (2010), 'Thor' (2011) and 'Captain America: The First Avenger' (2011), you can imagine how much I wanted to see this movie.

I was not disappointed, pretty much everything that was in this movie was pretty much all I expected to see and I'm happy with that. 'The Avengers' focuses on Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson)

'The Avengers' focuses on Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) trying to cope with Loki (Tom Hiddleston) taking the tesseract and using it against the world. Loki makes allies Eric Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) his two new muses. Fury decides that it's time to assemble some of earth's mightiest superheroes, The Avengers.

We see Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) reluctantly join as he thought that he could not qualify. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) joins because he is a World War II veteran, so his inner self says that he has to save the world. We also see Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) not hiding anymore after his little incidents.

We also see agents Natasha Romonoff (Scarlett Johansson) and Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) return and convince each of the guys to try and stop Loki.

Obviously after the events in 'Thor' (2011), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) returns as he still has unfinished business with his brother Loki and what he plans to do with the tesseract.

This movie moves at such an entertaining pace and I have been waiting years to finally see it, four years to be specific, since the release of 'Iron Man' (2008), all I wanted to see is four Marvel heroes unite in their ultimate movie. Seeing this movie in the cinema back in 2012 was an absolute treat.

The action is pretty much similar to the "Transformers" movies, but they are cleaner and have purpose and style, unlike the ones in the "Transformers" franchise where it's just a technological mess and they were gimmicks.

Director Joss Whedon ('Buffy The Vampire Slayer' and 'Firefly') clearly respects the Marvel comics enough to make a coherent story and visually appealing action. I absolutely cannot wait for the anticipated 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' (2015), after seeing this, the Marvel universe is truly something amazing.
  59. Mar 11, 2015
    The Avengers is easily one of the best films I've seen in the past few years. I saw it with my friends for the midnight premiere and it was a total blast from start to finish. Joss Whedon really pulled out all the stops when it came to directing a movie as big as this, and it shows. The entire ensemble cast was pitch-perfect, the action sequences were incredibly immersive and highlyThe Avengers is easily one of the best films I've seen in the past few years. I saw it with my friends for the midnight premiere and it was a total blast from start to finish. Joss Whedon really pulled out all the stops when it came to directing a movie as big as this, and it shows. The entire ensemble cast was pitch-perfect, the action sequences were incredibly immersive and highly entertaining, and the dialogue was absolutely hilarious when it needed to be. I also loved the interactions between every one of the characters. Seeing them meet each other for the first time was both amazingly surreal and surprisingly realistic. Nearly everything from the score to the special effects to the comic timing just felt right. The Avengers is quite simply an experience that everyone should see. It just goes to show that Marvel is really stepping up their game, both commercially and creatively. Can't wait for the sequel! Expand
  60. Mar 9, 2015
    This movie was great! It was very well paced, comedic, and had a lot of action in it! Each character was developed nicely and everyone did a great job in their roll.
  61. Jan 30, 2015
    I'll admit it's cheesy, but The Avengers is also insanely enjoyable, exciting, and well acted. Everyone brings their A-game, and Joss Whedon masterfully creates the nerd film of the century.
    Insane fun. 9/10
  62. Jan 22, 2015
    The Avengers is not just bad, it's boring as hell. I simply don't get the appeal for these sorts of films. A 15 minute plot and 2 hours of mindless, mind numbing action is not exactly my idea of entertainment. Might as well go into the kitchen, bang a few utensils around and use my own imagination. It's certainly not art and it's not even fun.
  63. Jan 19, 2015
    Marvel's The Avengers was one of the best movies of 2012. It's a great film to be part of The Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is Beyond Fantastic! Probably the best movie that Disney and Marvel has to offer!
  64. Jan 19, 2015
    DISAPOINTING

For heroes like this to be in a movie, there should be more action with the hulk. As well as that there was a horrible plot behind the movie and it can bore you to death sometimes. This was truly horrible.
  65. Jan 4, 2015
    It's hard to believe that Marvel brought all of these C-list superheroes together in one movie.. and it works! This movie is a blast from start to finish. Great acting, specifically Ruffalo, Hiddleston and Downey. Great visuals and some great laughs where I laughed harder than at most comedies I've seen.
  66. Jan 4, 2015
    By no 2nd close I think this is the best movie Marvel is yet to put out there. Even though I'm writing this review a couple years after the movies release I still think these things are true. Good acting, an OK dialogue and a lot of entertaining moments make for a GOOD movie. Notice how I didn't put great or just good, it was kind of in between.
  67. Jan 4, 2015
    The avengers is probably Marvel's best movie. The effects were outstanding, the acting exceptional and the story line was humorous as well as serious. This movie would probably be better for comic book readers as they would have a sense of awe throughout the film, people who didn't really know about comics wouldn't understand all the terms and Easter eggs thus the experience wouldn't be so great.
  68. Dec 30, 2014
    In the Avengers, all famous superheroes team up to save humans. The film has action, humor and a story but all of them are superficial and underdeveloped. The Avengers aims at catering all kind of audience (those who love superheroes, or actions, or comedies) but delivers a mixture that is none.

The idea of superheroes never settled well with me. The idea that we, people, are helpless and need superheroes to save and protect us is a troubling idea to say the best about it.

I really don't understand all the hype around this movie. 2 hours of your time is worth more than the laughter you get from seeing Hulk smashing Loki to the floor a few times (and that's the only good thing in the movie).
  69. Dec 21, 2014
    Marvel 's Iconic superheroes assembles in one amazing Movie.The Avengers is a great film in general with amazing heroes and fantastic actors portraying with awesome visual effects,Good story and great character development.The Villain,Loki,is a great villain ,Tom Hiddleston did a great job portraying his character.The Avengers is a great summer blockbuster!
  70. Dec 18, 2014
    as much as it pains a fan who mostly prefers DC to Marvel I have to admit this is probably the greatest superhero movie ever made. it is very well acted and paced and has some of the best action sequences i've ever seen particularly the battle in new york the whole thing feels like a great event comic. this was well worth the build up here's hoping the sequel is just as good
  71. Dec 15, 2014
    Literally the perfect and the best Marvel movie so far. It has awesome special effects, acting, and villians. Everyone you loved from Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and Hulk is in this movie. If you have not seen it, I highly recommend it.
  72. Dec 7, 2014
    The avengers is a good movie which is action-packed and has a good storyline. The special effects used were awesome.This is a good movie to watch if you haven't seen this movie.
  73. Nov 23, 2014
    The Avengers es una película en la que algunos momentos se torna fastidiosa, pero sin embargo ofrece unos grandes efectos visuales y da un buen espectáculo, por lo tanto tampoco hay que decir que la película es mala.
  74. Nov 18, 2014
    Honestly not as amazing as people say, for most it seems like it was their first time at the cinemas or they were transported from 1965 to see this now. The writing is terrific and character dynamic great but it's not something I would buy on DVD or watch again because there isn't much emotional connection for me, I am not in love with the characters. It's what I expect from marvel, theirHonestly not as amazing as people say, for most it seems like it was their first time at the cinemas or they were transported from 1965 to see this now. The writing is terrific and character dynamic great but it's not something I would buy on DVD or watch again because there isn't much emotional connection for me, I am not in love with the characters. It's what I expect from marvel, their superhero movies are usually kind of tacky, but once Iron Man came out in 2008, they sparked a new light after everyone hated Spider-Man 3. But The Avengers reguvinates this superhero franchise, I was predicting a 4 or 5 out of 10 movie, but it manages to succeed. Expand
  75. Nov 17, 2014
    The Avengers and the wrest of the Marvel cinematic universe could prove to be the Star Wars of it's generation. Joss Whedon clearly has a love and understanding of these characters and the source material. He collaborates all of these stars to perfection and balances their screen time effortlessly. His overall direction is solid and all of the set pieces are thoroughly enjoyable. The finalThe Avengers and the wrest of the Marvel cinematic universe could prove to be the Star Wars of it's generation. Joss Whedon clearly has a love and understanding of these characters and the source material. He collaborates all of these stars to perfection and balances their screen time effortlessly. His overall direction is solid and all of the set pieces are thoroughly enjoyable. The final act in particular is unbelievable and incredibly crowd pleasing. The whole cast is strong but Robert Downey Jr. is the standout as Iron Man. Tom Hiddleston is as equally superb as villain Loki, Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow & Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury have much more involvement and most surprisingly Mark Ruffalo is a welcome recasting as the Hulk. Chris Evans & Chris Hemsworth are both strong also and have grown into their characters Captain America & Thor respectively. However my only minor criticism is Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye. Personally I didn't like the way his character was developed throughout the film until the final act. And I hope his character has the chance to shine in future releases. But otherwise as a lifelong fan of these characters I was both pleasantly surprised and incredibly satisfied. The Avengers caters for everybody, it's action packed, full of humour and it will please fan boys and newcomers alike. This is without a doubt Marvel's best film to date and it epitomises the success of the Phase 1 films. And even more excitingly it kick starts Phase 2 perfectly. Expand
  76. Nov 16, 2014
    A very fun movie, I absolutely recommend it. perfect special effects and a really well meda plot.
    one of the best superhero movies there are. hope the next one doesnt disappoint
  77. Nov 16, 2014
    Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

So now it's time for The Avengers. But before we get to that, I got a few things to say. Ever since the beginning of this MCU "marathon", I've been planning to see other franchises. As I am a super-hero fanatic, I marked in my agenda and calendar franchises such as: X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman. Every movie of that franchise is going to be seen by me every Saturday, and when I'm not seeing those movies in Saturday, I'm going to see films that were released in 2014 that I haven't seen it. Which is the case here. I rewatched The Avengers yesterday (as I'm writing this on 9th November of 2014) and next Saturday, I'm going to see the video game adaption "Need for Speed". And then in the next Saturday after that, it's the Phase 2 of MCU. All these things I'm organizing is merely a way to be entertained when I have nothing else to do and it's going to last until next October of 2015. After seeing a movie, I'm going to write a review and post it on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic as "Diogo Mendes". If you're seeing this right now, you'll know what I am talking about. Now that I've cleared up that, it's time to talk about the best Marvel movie to date. "The Avengers", my friends, is one of the best Marvel outputs since Spider-Man 2. It not only raises the bar for Marvel at their films, but it also makes their heroes look even cooler than they already are. It's excting, it's funny, it's packed with action and heart and the movie clearly understands that super-heroes have a human side.

S.H.I.E.L.D. has located the mysterious Tesseract device and the Army's super soldier Captain America. The Tesseract is actually a gateway to an entirely new world called Asgard. A mysterious being known as Loki arrives on earth and immediately assumes that he can rule all human beings. But that irks S.H.I.E.L.D. directory Nick Fury the wrong way. As Loki escapes with the Tesseract, Nick Fury believes this is an act of war against Earth. His only hope is to assemble an actual team of super heroes. Dr. Bruce Banner, who turns into an enormous green rage monster known as the Hulk. Tony Stark and his venerable Iron Man armor. Captain America, the Stark Enterprises created super soldier. Thor, the god of thunder, protector of Earth and his home planet of Asgard, and Loki's brother. Master assassins Hawkeye and Natasha Romanoff. Together they will become a team to take on an attack that will call them to become the greatest of all time.

Ok, let's be honest right here. We all know that there wasn't any doubt that this movie would succeed. Not because it has Joss Whedon as the director and writer, but because having iconic, interesting super-heroes teaming up to defeat a larger threat is something we haven't seen it before, and Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, all these characters teaming up is really fun to see. The way that the movie focuses on these MARVELOUS characters is just extraordinary, and the character development... holy sh*t, the character development. The movie offers so much information about these super-heroes without feeling like an exposition. And the action... oh my god. I need to tell you that there's one part where the camera moves onto each Avenger fighting with the Chitauri, in ONE SINGLE SHOT. I'm not even kidding, if you see the movie, you'll be astonished. The final battle... is amazing. Don't get me wrong, the other elements of the movie are so great, really, really great, but the final battle... my god. 15 minutes of firefights, punches, emotion and nerdgasm. It doesn't reach the level of awesomeness of the train sequence in "Spider-Man 2" but this scene is so goddamn spectacular. The visual effects and the colors are startling. The one character that was used full CGI was, of course, The Hulk. Remember when I said that the Hulk from the 2008's film looked kind of cartoonish? Well, in this movie, he looks just what he should look like. And this classic character kicks so much ass in this movie, breaks everything in his sight. But you also can see that there's a heart in the character.

The characters are fully fleshed out and intriguing. Hell, even the Galaga guy is awesome, AND he's not even a character! Every character share their spotlight, delivering fun dialogue, essential information about their past. The villain is not as powerful as The Joker in "The Dark Knight", but Loki is so manipulative. You don't really know what's going on his head. And Thanos... oh my god. I'll admit. I didn't know anything about the character, I'm not a comic book kind of guy, but I enjoy reading some of them, especially when it's Spider-Man or Batman related. Thanos was a major character in The Infinity Gauntlet storyline back in the 90's. He was menacing and he was always grinning. I heard that they're following those series, but I'm wondering how they are going to follow those stories. Some of the characters belong to different studios. Very complicated. But getting back to Thanos, he's only in a mid-credits scene, so don't expect too much of him in this movie.

So I talked about the story, the big action set-pieces and the interesting characters, but something is missing... oh yeah, the cast! Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo, Nick Fury and all the others are so talented. Maybe that's why the characters work. It's because the well-chosen cast seems to have an understanding of what the characters are. Tony Stark is pretty much what we've got in both Iron Man films: Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. Steve Rogers is the lonely super-soldier, Bruce Banner is the angry man in his fight against his "disease" and Thor is the mighty god of Asgard, arrogant and stupid. All of them seem to understand their characters, that's why this movie is so likable. Not only the script offers a look at his heroes' humanity, but it also offers proper development. The soundtrack is also very exciting. And when I mean exciting... I really mean exciting. So when your movie has everything that you want, it instantly becomes your favorite movie, and although "Marvel's The Avengers" is definitely not the best movie ever made, it is the best super-hero movie to date. Why? Because it's a classic very well done! Even if the movie didn't have the best script ever, it would still be very good. Why? Because the whole concept works! This concept about heroes teaming up WORKS! And I am not even a fanboy.

Final Score to The Avengers: A solid 10/10. Literally, everything works here. The script is sharp, the action is pretty much top-notch, the characters are captivating and witty, the soundtrack is electrifying, the production values are high and the universe's atmosphere is becoming increasingly higher with Marvel now introducing new characters. You don't need awesome characters like Spider-Man or Wolverine to prove that this is the best Marvel movie to date. Marvel is on the roll and this nearly masterpiece proves that. Please, if you haven't seen this movie, go see it. I recommend it for every age. I also would like to point out that this movie clearly affected DC Comics in a big and dramatic way. In such way that they are rushing their famous characters and throwing years of mythology away. Now they're making a Batman Vs Superman movie to attract the audience and generate more and more money to their cash cow. I'm still going to see, and despite knowing that Chris Terrio is writing the story, I know I'm going to be disappointed. Unfortunately. Next review: Need for Speed (2014)
  78. Nov 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a good movie, as in well acted and directed, but it doesn't really strive for the art of the cinema. The plot is from a cookie-cutter, but thankfully, this cookie-cutter works. A nice fanboy movie, but you have to feel sorry for the aliens who only want to blow up NYC's cars and not lay a finger on people all the while they get killed for being the stock villains. Expand
  79. Nov 12, 2014
    The best superhero movie made to date. Marvel did an amazing job bringing it all together from the writing, directing, casting, acting, action, and special effects. Robert Downey, Jr. was BORN to play Ironman/Tony Stark, Hemsworth is a great Thor, Scarlett is the perfect Black Widow, and Ruffalo might be the best Banner to date. Not a "thinking man's" movie, but a TON of fun to just sitThe best superhero movie made to date. Marvel did an amazing job bringing it all together from the writing, directing, casting, acting, action, and special effects. Robert Downey, Jr. was BORN to play Ironman/Tony Stark, Hemsworth is a great Thor, Scarlett is the perfect Black Widow, and Ruffalo might be the best Banner to date. Not a "thinking man's" movie, but a TON of fun to just sit back and watch. Very well done. Expand
  80. Nov 5, 2014
    this was the a good best game ever sometime. i. got. REALLY SCARED. when inor man got cot in the fan man it was funny huh. he just got hit round and a around more! this was by far best as me. but it was okay he iron man he was oka so im glad for that agan! but then agane thw hole movie is just a big bucket of sarclasmns./
  81. Oct 19, 2014
    Continuing the epic big-screen adventures started in Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger, Marvel's The Avengers is the superhero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as SHIELD, finds himself in need of a team toContinuing the epic big-screen adventures started in Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger, Marvel's The Avengers is the superhero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as SHIELD, finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins. Expand
  82. Sep 8, 2014
    This is the best superhero movie ever made. Joss Wheadon did a nearly flawless job. The character and story development is superb. It has huge impacts for all characters. There are rarely movies like this with no weak scenes. Bonus points for the villain. Watching Loki is just delicious. He enjoys being the evil guy.
  83. Aug 31, 2014
    With Joss Whedon at the helm, I expected much more. To bring all of The Avengers together in a single film is no easy task; nevertheless, I cannot help but feel as though it could've been better executed.
  84. Aug 24, 2014
    I've seen this movie four time by now, so I think it is time for some kind of review. (One of said viewings was in 3D, my first ever, and I must say I much more prefer the old-fashioned 2D version since 3D made the action scenes - especially the Hulk - appear very blurry and threatened to give me a bit of a headache.

As a fan of the previous Marvel movies, the last of which I checked

As a fan of the previous Marvel movies, the last of which I checked out in order to enjoy the Avengers experience to the fullest (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America), I appreciated the finer points of story telling and jokes that took a lot from the other parts in the series. There were plenty of references, I think, and I cannot imagine how well some of the jokes land or character chemistries work without prior knowledge of what they're based on.

I haven't read the comics (although I fully intend to get my hands on them somehow), so I cannot say how "accurate" this was (or any of the previous films), but all I can say is that the cast chosen to play this unruly team of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is fantastic. I'm a Tony Stark fangirl, no denying it, but damn! the others really don't make me yawn with boredom and wait for Robert Downey Jr.'s next appearance on screen: they stand very well on their own. Period.

And Mark Ruffalo IS the Hulk. Period on that too. Watching him twist his hands and smile and try to back away into the shadows is adorable and in a way breath-taking in its own way, because we all know what's lurking inside him, and it's almost a shame when he turns into a green rage monster. Almost...

Perhaps the best feature to the movie is indeed the strife between the heroes, who are not compatible in the slightest, but as heroes tend to, they work together pretty well to avert a crisis when they face one together. Still, the classic fights between team-mates almost beat seeing them destroy a few (hundred) enemies.

The camera work, set design, lighting and colors are all perfect. They create a world, a very real one, and give it its own signature. The music, too, when you notice it, melts perfectly to the background, other than in those moments when it rises higher, giving the scene more depth, more kick.

Tom Hiddleston as Loki is, for a lack of a better word, a bit disturbed, but executes his part as a villain pretty well. He's determined, and he is one step ahead of the team the whole time, although the petulant child is peeking out from between his teeth every now and then, waiting to be allowed to throw a temper tantrum. And it works.

The story progresses nicely, weaving the heroes together (the only small minus is Thor's rather sudden appearance, and although we can see where it's coming from, and dragging it out may have not worked very well, it still seems like a shortcut).

There's plenty of humor, for which I love Joss Whedon; this reminds me a lot of his movie "Serenity", with its pace and light-heartedness, but total seriousness as well. It's a fine balance, and it absolutely works.

All in all... this is fast rising to be one of those movies I wouldn't mind seeing several times a year, or perhaps a month, just to keep the smiles and laughs coming.
  85. Aug 23, 2014
    The Avengers is witty, intense and very entertaining, I loved every second of it, and every character of it stroke my heart and I was into their situation. I regret not seeing this in theaters.
  86. Aug 15, 2014
    All the adventure you could possibly ask for from a multitude of super heroes...even Harry Dean Stanton has a cameo..Loki is the stand out shine....Love him...
  87. Aug 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Avengers did exactly what it supposed to.. lay down the foundation of what was the Avengers to movie audiences everywhere. We have chemistry from all our beloved superheroes, a charismatic villain and of course great action and humour.

Sure the story was average and cliched, and I can understand if people thought this was overrated/overhyped (especially since I was one of the person who used to bleat that, and probably still will depending on the context) but it's main strength was seeing the superheroes interract and nothing felt out of a character. When we see characters such as Captain America and Iron Man argue, it truly shows how different the superheroes are from each other and why such strong personalities conflict. They both come from different eras.

We see Captain America perform as leader in the climax well and Loki's manipulation. Black Widow and Nick Fury having more of a central role was done well, and you truly felt like tit was an Avengers Movie.

Joss Whedon did a superb job entangling these superheroes together and I cannot wait for the sequel.
  88. Aug 6, 2014
    Aburridísima. Pensé que no estaría mal juntar a tantos superhéroes pero el resultado fue una película con una primera hora llena de diálogos vacíos y chistes tontos (que alguien le pegue un tiro ya a thor y hulk, pensaba yo) y una segunda hora de acción que solo demuestra que lo único bueno de la peli son sus efectos. ¿En serio os gusta esto?
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha hecho mejores. Desastrosa.
  89. Aug 5, 2014
    Great special effects and action, weak plot and the use of an already estabelished villian. Also at about the one hour mark the film slows down to a crawl so it can get everyone together and bicker. As strong as Tom Hildeston is as Loki, i was kind of disappointed to see him as the primary villian for half the movie. There is a huge amount of Avengers villiany through out the comicsGreat special effects and action, weak plot and the use of an already estabelished villian. Also at about the one hour mark the film slows down to a crawl so it can get everyone together and bicker. As strong as Tom Hildeston is as Loki, i was kind of disappointed to see him as the primary villian for half the movie. There is a huge amount of Avengers villiany through out the comics that could have been tapped into, but Whedon chose to go in the driection of generic space creatures instead. The movie does make good use of humor and its probably the most accessible marvel movie yet. Expand
  90. Aug 3, 2014
    Probably the most fun you will ever have watching a film, The Avengers is one on the list along with The Dark Knight as one of the best superhero movies out there. The film's characters are absolutely great, the action is amazing, and the film has enough humor to have you laugh more than a few times. The only downside is that the story isn't too much and isn't very memorable. Besides that,Probably the most fun you will ever have watching a film, The Avengers is one on the list along with The Dark Knight as one of the best superhero movies out there. The film's characters are absolutely great, the action is amazing, and the film has enough humor to have you laugh more than a few times. The only downside is that the story isn't too much and isn't very memorable. Besides that, the films grabs your favorite superheroes to make one of the best action movies you will ever see. Expand
  91. Aug 2, 2014
    This movie is the best there is :) i'm so impressed how josh did this. my favorite so far. Go and watch it, even if your not a fan of marvels movies. i think i'm going to see it again now ;) take care
  92. Jul 30, 2014
    The Avengers is an fantastic movie with great amount action and a wonderful story, and I'm especially amazed by the music and the special effects!

Another thing that's great about The Avengers is the opening scene, which truly is exiting and thrilling. I found this movie highly entertaining, because it's so damn good and unique, and it's packed with great actors and the movie overall is cool and touching. The negative thing about The Avengers is that the tempo is a little to slow at some places, but also that there are some scenes that's not so original, because some scenes looks like they might have taken from other movies (like Transformers). But except for that is The Avengers truly fascinating!

An amazing film from Marvel, but with to much slow scenes (and boring conversations).

The Avengers gets a 8.7/10
  93. Jul 8, 2014
    הסרט הכי יפה של במארוול יוניברס עד כה, סרט ממש מהנה ומבדר כדאי לראות. במיוחד למי שאוהב סרטי גיבורי על ימות על הסרט הזה. אבל חבל שהוא לא יותר מסרט קיץ כיפי
  94. Jun 3, 2014
    Directed by Joss Whedon, Marvel’s The Avengers is an action-packed movie. Although the back stories for each superhero are lengthy and make it hard-to-follow at times for those not well-versed with the classic Marvel comics, the plot line is entertaining and draws the viewer in, as if they are fighting alongside the heroes.
    The story begins with the Tesseract, a cube that provides energy
    The story begins with the Tesseract, a cube that provides energy that could be the energy source to power everything, being stolen from the S.H.I.E.L.D. agency, lead by Nick Fury, by Loki, Thor’s evil stepbrother. While the Tesseract is being stolen, Loki turns Hawkeye and the doctor into his “evil minions”. Desperate times call for desperate measures and Fury calls out to Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow and Captain America. Thor joins later after trying to get Loki to give back the Tesseract on his own means. This combination of heroes leads to a lot of personality clashes and egotistical fighting. Will they defeat Loki and get back the Tesseract or will they continue to fight over trivial differences and allow the world to be destroyed?
    This movie has literary value and has a positive impact. Based on the comics, it brings superheroes back to the forefront since comics are not as popular as they once were. The elaborate character development throughout the comics and other movies makes the superheroes and villains dynamic and intriguing characters. They may be “super”, but they are more similar to “regular” people than is blatant. How can a person dislike a hero like Captain America who is a super soldier designed to give him a second chance and a future? Or the Hulk who tried to save someone else and got the full blast of radiation, which makes it impossible for him to hide the anger everyone keeps inside?
    Themes and motifs explode from the movie like the powerful blasts of the Tesseract itself. There is always the cliché good vs. evil struggle that all superhero movies showcase. The interesting combination of powerful personalities in the movie shows how people can put aside their differences and unite for a common goal, regardless of how big the differences may seem. Lastly, the motif of which superheroes are superior is present amidst the arguments. Some argue that superheroes like Thor who were “born that way” are the best, while the idea that anyone can be a superhero (like Iron Man who used his money and intelligence to make a super suit) are more inspiring. Then there are experimental superheroes like Captain America and “mistakes” like the Hulk (or Spider-man who is not in this movie).
    Overall, the movie is not my personal favorite, mostly because I was raised playing with Barbie’s instead of action figures so my lack of understanding got in the way of enjoying the movie. However, the movie is still very great for what it is, which is why I will give it an eight out of 10 rating.
  95. Jun 1, 2014
    The Avengers is directed by Joss Whedon. It is about many Marvel comic superheroes having to join forces to fight against evil. Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Black Widow must work together to fight against Thor’s adopted brother, Loki, and his army. Thor affects the story by having sympathy towards Loki. No one could just kill Loki because of his relationship withThe Avengers is directed by Joss Whedon. It is about many Marvel comic superheroes having to join forces to fight against evil. Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Black Widow must work together to fight against Thor’s adopted brother, Loki, and his army. Thor affects the story by having sympathy towards Loki. No one could just kill Loki because of his relationship with Thor. Captain America always wanted to have a plan of what to do. He is “old-school” compared to the other heroes, but changes the story by coming up with plans that were best for his team. The Hulk is the “muscle” out of the group. He helped teach the other heroes the art of self-control which affected what the others did in the film. Iron man was the most confident out of the group. His confidence played mind games with Loki, which poked holes into his evil plan. Hawkeye came later in the movie after being possessed by Loki and made part of his army. After being saved, Hawkeye wanted revenge against Loki for possessing him, which made Hawkeye more focused and accurate in battle. It changed the film by adding another member to the Avenger team to help defeat Loki’s army. Black Widow is an elite trained, Russian spy. She affected the movie by adding a female to the team, which made it more interesting and diverse. Thor’s adopted, younger brother, Loki, is the reason the superheroes must join forces. Loki’s character creates the plot for the story to take place.
    One of the themes for this work is that teamwork is harder than it appears. All these characters have their separate lives, towns, and villains to fight. They’ve single handedly defeated their opponents and have been praised for it. They have never had to work together with someone as equally powerful as themselves to defeat evil. Bringing independent personalities together makes this theme effective. Their independence makes it harder for them to work together. The team must learn to acknowledge their individual skills and compromise with each other throughout the film to be successful. This main idea is different and groundbreaking. Bringing together superheroes from separate stories and combining them into one unstoppable team is mind blowing. It changes all their stories to impact where they can know each other, and maybe even appear in each other’s separate movies. It creates a bridge between all of them and their lives.
    Some amusing quotes that stood out to me were:
    Captain America: “Hulk… smash.” Captain America said this when directing everyone on what to do and where to go. Captain American believed in having a plan and also using what skills you have to offer. This is my favorite quote because the Hulk always screams it in his other movies and it made me laugh.
    Loki: “I have an Army!”
    Iron Man: “We have a Hulk.” Iron Man was trying to be witty and play with Loki’s mind. This quote showed that Iron Man admired the Hulk’s strength and displayed his confidence in his team and its members.
    The film appealed to me in an emotional way, because it made me root for the good guys to win and defeat evil to save the world once again. The team uses all their powers to save the world threatened by Loki.
    The movie is rated a 9 because it was action-packed with the characters displaying many different personalities. The good guys win in the end, but the plot was slow in some parts of the story.
  96. May 24, 2014
    First time watching the Avengers i was amazed, astonished and dazzled by the fact that Marvel manged to create an avengers film; Second time watching through the film, again im amazed at how good the film is and how much better it is compared to over superhero films; Third time, its an ok film, the acting is good, the action is good, but i feel as if something is missing; FOURTH **** TIME,First time watching the Avengers i was amazed, astonished and dazzled by the fact that Marvel manged to create an avengers film; Second time watching through the film, again im amazed at how good the film is and how much better it is compared to over superhero films; Third time, its an ok film, the acting is good, the action is good, but i feel as if something is missing; FOURTH **** TIME, what the **** what is the plot of the film, why is the main story so boring, damn why is captain america under used, why are all the characters very shallow and boring, why is the only good thing about the film the fact that the Action sequences are spectacular and seeing all those hero's on the screen amazing.

I rest my case, The Avengers is a above average film that managed to trick people in to thinking that it was Awesometacular.
  97. May 4, 2014
    The Avengers: 6/10 "Correcta"

Una buena película que tiene como principal virtud juntar a varios superhéroes de Marvel con éxito,pero no tiene una buena historia y por momentos se siente muy monótona.
  98. May 4, 2014
    Overhyped but a fun ride none the less. it is fantastic to get to see all these heroes together on the big screen. However even with the super lame villain Loki, the avengers never crosses to lame.
  99. Apr 19, 2014
    I'll be the fist to admit that the plot was a little weak BUT! This is a fanboys wet dream. What I've been waiting years to witness! As a proud Marvel comics nerd, I never had any doubt in my mind about this one. Ever since Marvel Studios began it's journey making films in house, which started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, it has been nothing but great. The room for creativeI'll be the fist to admit that the plot was a little weak BUT! This is a fanboys wet dream. What I've been waiting years to witness! As a proud Marvel comics nerd, I never had any doubt in my mind about this one. Ever since Marvel Studios began it's journey making films in house, which started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, it has been nothing but great. The room for creative writing and directing is limitless. Mark Ruffalo delivers the best portrayal of Bruce Banner/ Hulk on film, PERIOD! The balanced screen time each of these crucial characters receives is flawlessly pulled off by Joss Whedon! What Marvel Studios has done with the cinematic universe has forever changed the course of film and has raised the bar pretty dang high. (Take note, Fox and WB/DC) There are enough laughs, action and emotional moments that will satisfy the casual moviegoers and fanboys alike. Expand
  100. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before seeing this film, I'm going to be honest I wasn't a big fan of this Marvel Cinematic Universe, not to say I didn't like it I just didn't care for it. You see when I first saw Iron Man, it liked it well (of course I like it a lot more now) but later on I didn't care for Iron Man 2 (and honestly I'm still not a fan of that sequel). Later on I never saw The Incredible Hulk, I liked Thor and I thought the first Captain America was alright but I still just wasn't digging the series that much, so I didn't go into The Avengers film expecting to love it, but I had a blast. It was amazing, seeing all these Marvel heroes together. It was cool seeing them interact and it was even kind of funny at times like when Iron Man fought with Thor and other things. I also like Loki, he was a really awesome antagonist, he had that cool blend of looking strong yet weak at the same time which was especially awesome when Hulk beats the crap out of him! The action was also cool, the special effects were cool, kind of Transformers-ish, but cool! I loved The Avengers! It got me more into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I even enjoy the older films a little better, I also enjoy there later films and I am really looking forward to 2015 when The Avengers 2 comes out! The Avengers is a blast, it's probably my favorite Super Hero movie ever. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.