8.0

1. TimothyD.
    Jan 28, 2006
    Intense, compelling, emotionally complex, with great work by Duris, the male lead, who brings subtlety and urgency to what could have been a terminally unsympathetic character. I don't know that I could say I enjoyed much of it, but I couldn't stop watching -- in this case that is a high compliment.
  2. TNgo
    Aug 3, 2005
    Compelling and emotionally resonant. The intensity is there from the first frame on, and never lets go. Part thriller/part character study. Unlike the two previous posters, I did not think that the violence was gratuitous at all IMHO. It was apt to depict the lead character's heavy gangster life and therefore, later contrast it with his budding musical profession.
  3. FrancisT.
    Aug 2, 2005
    This remake is a vibrant, ugly, and still beautiful film that examines a conflict very close to my heart.
  4. MerrillH.
    Jul 23, 2005
    Terrible film, unnecessary voilence and undeveloped characters.
  5. JayW.
    Jul 4, 2005
    Everything we really need to know is in the first thirty minutes. An interesting premise belabored by needless, repetitive violence to fill the obligatory 90-minute with popcorn theatrical format. Powerful performances nevertheless.

1. Beat has a moody, furtive quality that jibes perfectly with the perplexed life of a pianist-gangster.
    Audiard's work is tense, vivid, and alert, and he's got the right actor as Tom, an irresistibly attractive guy who's pushing thirty yet has no more control over his impulses than a chaotic boy.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    Out of a borrowed and preposterous premise, Audiard has fashioned a film that is more haunting--and more compellingly watchable--than it has any right to be.