The Best of Youth

8.9

1. ButteredPopcorn
    Feb 15, 2007
    Could not get past the mini-series feel to this movie. Too much like televisin for me. Seemed simplistic at its heart, thoguh it keeps you waiting in an almost teasing manner for the plot to unfold.
  2. pdiddy
    Aug 20, 2005
    This movie meanders...could easily be shortening to a good 2-2.5 hours...and we would not have lost that much in terms of the essence. Sure, we would have missed out on much background scenes but since when does scenery and background make a great movie?
  3. BobS.
    Aug 9, 2005
    I missed the boat on this one! Joe M is the only one I agree with! Length doesn't mean greatness in my book. I am the biggest pushover for crying at most any movie and not once did I tear up during the entire 6 hours. I do not understand all the raves especially from the pros! It reminded me more of The Thorn Birds than anything else.
  4. JoeM.
    Jul 22, 2005
    Most of the reviews are absurdly generous. The idea of the film, and the book, is a very good, one, but it just does not come off in my view. There is no charcater development, or not very much anyway, and the narrative is very jarring, with lots of small scenes, some of which are nice, but it does not make a good "epic" whole. I suppose this is common in "slice-of-life" movies And the Most of the reviews are absurdly generous. The idea of the film, and the book, is a very good, one, but it just does not come off in my view. There is no charcater development, or not very much anyway, and the narrative is very jarring, with lots of small scenes, some of which are nice, but it does not make a good "epic" whole. I suppose this is common in "slice-of-life" movies And the two brothers meeting up in Florence, or inTurin-come on. The story is hardly the stuff of great 19th century novels-what are the professional reviewers smoking??? Expand
  5. XavierA.
    Mar 26, 2006
    Shallow in the Italian history, easily sentimental-even corny, short interpretative range in the main actors, After a minimally acceptable first half, it becomes a tear jerker in the second. Thumbs down.
  6. CarolinaB.
    Apr 17, 2006
    I was really looking forward to seeing this film because of all the great reviews I'd read and heard on NPR. I love foreign films and have no problem with slow, complicated movies. But this one was marred by bad acting from three of the main actors. Giorgia is a caricature of a mentally ill patient and her role in the film is treated more as a prop than an actual character. The I was really looking forward to seeing this film because of all the great reviews I'd read and heard on NPR. I love foreign films and have no problem with slow, complicated movies. But this one was marred by bad acting from three of the main actors. Giorgia is a caricature of a mentally ill patient and her role in the film is treated more as a prop than an actual character. The actress who plays the terrorist Giulia gives a really bad, childish performance -- lots of averted and halting glances to telegraph hesitancy and other emotions (not to mention the hideous straw wigs they have her wearing). The actor who plays Matteo is the same -- a lot of staring off through his car windshield to telegraph intensity and troubled emotions. The character has inexplicable anger and hostility that never gets explained, even when his sister asks outright "What did we ever do to you to deserve such treatment?" Good question. We never learn why he's so messed up. And after all that intensity, the director gives him a comical death scene (I actually laughed when he rolled himself over the wall to his death -- it was just such a ridiculous and awkward way for him to jump). Expand
  7. AllanO.
    May 29, 2005
    Too schematic, heavy-handed. The coincidences were laughable. I was bored.

The acting is electric. By the end of this haunting, hypnotic film, you feel you have watched lives being lived, not just imagined.
  2. Lo Cascio and Boni inhabit their roles with keen intellectual and emotional vigor.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    At nearly six hours, pic's extreme length lets Giordana and screenwriters Sandro Petraglia and Stefano Rulli build up a novelistic rhythm, pulling the audience so deeply and forcefully into their story that it becomes like a enveloping dream; when it's over, parting with the characters is truly sweet and sorrowful.