9.0

1. BearC.
    Feb 20, 2006
    Give yourself over to this four-decade tour of heart and family. Worth every moment.
  2. Stephanie
    Jun 2, 2005
    A truly spectacular singular film experience...Six hours has never passed so quickly or pleasurably. (I didn't want it to end.) And I can't even identify what it is that makes this film so wonderful, except perhaps the love and respect for all the characters. Basically, the film covers one Italian family from 1966 to 2003. But I can't sum it up much more than that (I tried A truly spectacular singular film experience...Six hours has never passed so quickly or pleasurably. (I didn't want it to end.) And I can't even identify what it is that makes this film so wonderful, except perhaps the love and respect for all the characters. Basically, the film covers one Italian family from 1966 to 2003. But I can't sum it up much more than that (I tried for someone duriing a bathroom break between parts 1 and 2 and it's just too much.) Moving, funny, evocative, plus stunning Italian locations. This is really a film that will stay with you - I'm still thinking of it, weeks afterwards. Expand
  3. JeffM.
    Sep 8, 2006
    Powerful and haunting. It's definitely worth your time (over 2 evenings).
  4. JoeR.
    Apr 14, 2005
    This movie has it all: profound insight, a finely woven script, superb acting, and deep respect for the human experience. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Period.
  5. ChrisM.
    Jul 1, 2005
    This epic is as grand in scope as it is sublime. I was particularly struck by the fact that the film's climaxes were cinematic climaxes. There are numerous stories that we've in and out and through the film, but the director does not rely on trauma or excess for his moments of bliss: instead we find them when Giorgia sits on a curb biting into a tomato or when the camera opens This epic is as grand in scope as it is sublime. I was particularly struck by the fact that the film's climaxes were cinematic climaxes. There are numerous stories that we've in and out and through the film, but the director does not rely on trauma or excess for his moments of bliss: instead we find them when Giorgia sits on a curb biting into a tomato or when the camera opens onto vast Italian landscapes. The stories are indeed moving, but the truly elevating moments were found in those shots that conveyed an almost unbearable intimacy--intense and raw close-ups--or where the landscape fills one with awe: and aren't these simple and sensual moments often the times in our lives when we feel the most passionate and elated? Expand
  6. SteveM.
    Aug 1, 2005
    A great epic in the tradition of the realistic novels of the 19th Century. Reminds the viewer how great Italian cinema is . . .and can be!!!
  7. 2Roads
    Mar 8, 2006
    It is a brilliant and engrossing story of the complexities of human behavior as well as an exemplary study of characterization--something that is diluted on Hollywood studio turf--with the backdrop of Italia's baby boomer generation and change that created a contemporary Renaissance for new freedom.
  8. PaulK.
    Oct 10, 2005
    Until I see Capote and the rest of the so-called "vaunted" films arriving between now and the end of the year, The Best of Youth is not only my favorite film of 2005, it is for me one of the great film experiences of my life, a supremely involving masterpiece that pulls you in and holds you in its grip for all of its 6 hours.
  9. RPMcC
    Oct 4, 2005
    Truly great cinema. Painted on an epic scale by masters of the artform. The retirment scene alone is perhaps one of the greatest displays of acting ever commited to celluloid.
  10. TerryM
    Oct 5, 2005
    This film was so completely intoxicating that after the Part 1 cliffhanger of an ending I rewarded myself with Part 2 following a 12 hr shift at the hospital. It gets my vote as my favorite dramatic Italian film-besting the likes of "La Dolce Vita."
  11. richardk.
    Mar 10, 2005
    This film was simply wonderful and totally involving. I planned to see part I and return at another time to see part II..but could not leave this family and their experiences...I have read all of the reviews (in English) and only wish that more people can and will see this highly involving and emotionally draining (in a good way not at all manipulative) film than all of the mainstream This film was simply wonderful and totally involving. I planned to see part I and return at another time to see part II..but could not leave this family and their experiences...I have read all of the reviews (in English) and only wish that more people can and will see this highly involving and emotionally draining (in a good way not at all manipulative) film than all of the mainstream films that are out there...tears flowed freely but it was a cleansing kind of emotional experience...I just loved it and will go back to see it again. Expand
  12. marcoc.
    Apr 28, 2005
    One of few film released in the last few years deserving of full marks.
  13. KathyF.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Unbelievable. The most beautiful film in your lifetime. Passionate, vibrant, true and restrained. No Hollywood tricks. Something out of Bergman yet contemporary.
  14. JeffD.
    May 11, 2005
    A wonderful, human film that is totally absorbing, with fabulous performances and with many moments of high relevance to our own lives. It is essentially a six-hour love letter on the importance of family, caring, choice and chance. But beware! Do not get so absorbed in it that it becomes a substitution for brining joy, vigor and compassion into your own relationships. Learn from this A wonderful, human film that is totally absorbing, with fabulous performances and with many moments of high relevance to our own lives. It is essentially a six-hour love letter on the importance of family, caring, choice and chance. But beware! Do not get so absorbed in it that it becomes a substitution for brining joy, vigor and compassion into your own relationships. Learn from this film and go out vivify your OWN life. Do not take it as a soap opera you can cry in and then go home and play computer games. (One point off for the overly conventional cinematography, all other factors are 10+) Expand
  15. MarioA.
    Jun 4, 2005
    What a pity American TV can never aspire to such heights. What a pity that in the US, TV audiences are so dumbed down that life experiences such as this film is denied them.
  16. MartiR.
    Jul 8, 2005
    Couldn't wait to see part 2, and then hated to see it end. It told an incredible story by focusing sensitively on relationships, not on sensationalism. Beautifully done.
  17. carlinaf.
    Sep 26, 2005
    A haunting saga of a complicated family. I hated to see it end.
  18. TommasoB.
    Jan 7, 2006
    As an Italian-born film lover I've been waiting for this to happen since the death of Pier Paolo Pasolini, a good 30 years ago. This movie brings back memories of the greatest Italian tradition of such revered filmmakers as Fellini, De Sica, Rossellini and Visconti. My only hope is that others will follow Giordana's example, because the Italian cinema dramatically needs As an Italian-born film lover I've been waiting for this to happen since the death of Pier Paolo Pasolini, a good 30 years ago. This movie brings back memories of the greatest Italian tradition of such revered filmmakers as Fellini, De Sica, Rossellini and Visconti. My only hope is that others will follow Giordana's example, because the Italian cinema dramatically needs extraordinary works like this. Expand
  19. AdonisS.
    Mar 7, 2006
    I rented this movie not knowing that its 6 hours long. But this movie was so captivating that I merely lost track of time the whole way through. I wish they could have developed some of the characters a little bit more though.
  20. TheresaL.
    Apr 1, 2006
    When I heard it was six hours I hesitated. It was worth every minute ofthe six hours. It indeed was a beautiful story.
  21. Amélie
    May 13, 2006
    So beautiful, magical. One of the best moive ever.
  22. LeeC.
    May 15, 2007
    Absolutely the very best riveting family saga I have ever watched. Excellent acting, directing, cinametoligy, music and scenery.
  23. Michelle
    Jun 6, 2007
    When I read what the movie was about it was so interesting so I decided to watch. Little did I know it was over 6 hours long!! It was like a Soap Opera, I just couldn't turn away. A beautiful story about life, love, death and what's always there in the end, family.
  24. MaeP
    Jul 25, 2007
    WOW!! What a great movie!! I didn't realize when I was flipping channels and started watching this movie that it was 6 hours long. Time flew and I was sad to see it end! I have not enjoyed a movie that much in a long time! I'm glad i was flipping through the channels, or I would have missed it. This is truly a masterpiece!
  25. MarcoB
    Jun 11, 2008
    The movie is very long, so the comment will be very short: it's just an astonishing piece of filmmaking, who leaves you begging for more after 6 hours. Just see it and enjoy the experience.
  26. CristinaA
    Aug 9, 2009
    Gripping, wonderful story, great acting. I didn't want it to end.
  27. bobs.
    Apr 25, 2005
    Best movie of the last years.
  28. pedrot.
    Apr 4, 2005
    Una de las películas más hermosas que he visto en mucho tiempo. Una verdadera maravilla. Un lujo al alcance de quienes la hayan visto, uno de esos pequeños secretos, que sin grandes promciones o ínfulas artísiticas, se hace un lugar en tu vida. No se la pierdan. Un saludo desde Torrevieja (España).
  29. Michael
    May 8, 2005
  30. JohnC.
    Jul 10, 2005
    Magnifico!!
  31. judya.
    Jul 5, 2005
    The best movie I have seen in the last decade.
  32. Anthony
    Aug 6, 2005
    Amazing. I didn't think films like this could be made. Easily one of the greatest films that I have ever seen.
  33. GregB.
    Oct 12, 2006
    An incredible film. I wish Hollywood could produce a film like this...a film so rich in depth and human emotion. This is a film that is excellent without a multi-million dollar budget, special effects, etc.....It's true what others say, you don't want this movie to end, even after watching for six hours. Also, the scenery of both Italy and Norway is absolutely beautiful.
  34. SimonS.N.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Watching this movie was a pure joy. It was one of the greatest 6 hours of my life!
  35. CurtisW.
    Jan 16, 2006
    The best movie I have seen in years. I could have watched three more hours.
  36. AnaMG
    Oct 17, 2006
    From the first few minutes to the very end, I was captured, enraptured, as never before (maybe Cinema Paradiso comes close-maybe not). You know these people, you feel with them, the heart almost explodes with emotion in some parts - it never leaves you. It holds you in its hand and you will remember it forever. What a gift to see this gem.
  37. SusannaG
    Oct 18, 2006
    Fabulous, engrossing, beautiful, meaningful film for anyone who ever lived in Italy and everyone else.
  38. DarenA.
    Dec 5, 2006
    I would prefer book over the movie all the time, but since I watched this movie, I was stunned... Extremelly detailed, for 6 and a half hours I was not bored one single second.... Choice of actors is absolutely masterminded. High quality movie.
  39. CinthiaW.
    Feb 2, 2006
    I can't remember the last time I saw a film that moved me as much as "The Best of Youth." It is truly a masterpiece.
  40. Stiven
    Apr 21, 2006
    This is an amazing cimetographic achievement! It's as gorgeous as it's heartbreaking. This italian drama is a marvel to the foreign eye. La Meglio Gioventu is a movie you do not want to miss.
  41. ChrisP.
    Apr 5, 2006
    The only 6 hour movie that i wouldn't have minded being longer. Fantastic, emotional, engrossing... every minute is worth it.
  42. HelenH.
    Jul 16, 2006
    'This is the best movie I have seen since "The City of God." I just saw it for the second time and it is that rare movie which becomes richer and deeper when you know what is to come. It is ultimately optimistic about life. The ending is so perfect and so full that even after six hours it is too bad it had to end. the "Best of Youth" will stick with you and come back to you in waves 'This is the best movie I have seen since "The City of God." I just saw it for the second time and it is that rare movie which becomes richer and deeper when you know what is to come. It is ultimately optimistic about life. The ending is so perfect and so full that even after six hours it is too bad it had to end. the "Best of Youth" will stick with you and come back to you in waves and snatches at the most unexpected times. It has the power to change your life for the better See it with someone you love; this is a movie to be shared and lingered over. Expand
  43. NeilH.
    Mar 15, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful. I only wish that America could make a movie as wholesome and magnificent as this.
  44. MelitaL.
    Apr 26, 2007
    Absolutely wonderful movie! A masterpiece indeed. Like watching my whole life being played out in italian. Very true to the time period it unfolds in, I remember every crease of those moments... Watch it and love it. -- More for euro-audience.
  45. SylviaP.
    Sep 1, 2007
    The best 6 hours I've spent doing anything---it casts a spell on you the viewer and even after the movie's over the spell doesn't let you go. A wonderful cast and superb acting.
  46. LKR.
    Sep 27, 2007
    This film/series is "the" best(made forTV) film that I've ever seen! Has a transformational quality and potential. I originally rented it not knowing a thing about it. I now own it because my video store (boo hoo) is going out of business and I bought the one copy they had. I rarely, if ever, buy a DVD, but this was an exception. It is a universal story about family, love, This film/series is "the" best(made forTV) film that I've ever seen! Has a transformational quality and potential. I originally rented it not knowing a thing about it. I now own it because my video store (boo hoo) is going out of business and I bought the one copy they had. I rarely, if ever, buy a DVD, but this was an exception. It is a universal story about family, love, compassion, passion, choices, acceptance, pain, humanity, the individual spirit, the collective spirit, and so, so much more. One has to see it and experience it. I couldn't stop watching it and have viewed it 3 times now. The actors and director's choices were so amazing, beautiful and thoughtful cinematography, locations, editing and directing. Even the subtitles/translation were great. The dialogue and narratives were so sensitive, intelligent, historically accurate and balanced. I recommend watching the 6 hours in one sitting to get the full effect of the story. Why can't we produce quality TV programming like this in the US? If they did, I just might re-hook up the TV to regular satellite or cable and pay. Expand
  47. KeyserS.
    Feb 27, 2008
    The most beautiful story?Yes.Seriously,this story will touch the heart of any human being.
  48. ShirleyL
    Feb 15, 2009
    I want to give it 9.5. I had seen it at least 6 times and every time I still found new clues and new interpretations of the characters.
  49. LauraM
    Nov 10, 2005
    Such a warm engaging film. The first five hours or so were completely deserving of a 9. Then it seemed to run out of steam, for me at least. There was nothing left to drive the narrative.
  50. BradC
    Oct 24, 2005
    The best dramatic film I've ever seen.
  51. DavidB.
    Mar 19, 2005
    This film will move you when you see it, and its images and characters will stay with you for a long time afterward.
  52. misterp
    May 17, 2005
    Absolutely absorbing multi-generational story of Italy from the 60s to the 90s. Compelling characters, great scenery, beautiful women, and multiple, overlapping story lines compensate for disappointingly apolitical ethos.
  53. JimK.
    Jun 27, 2005
    This is simply my favourite movie of all time.
  54. DanC.
    Jun 27, 2005
    A film that moves you...una storia della vita!
  55. Gary
    Feb 25, 2006
    I hate subtitles, but the move was so good It didnt seem to matter. It was truely a wonderful experience.
  56. RonG.
    Feb 28, 2006
    Truly one of the most powerful six hours spent watching a movie. The story line is compelling. The ability to generate and control sea changes of emotions throughout the movie in an incredibly understated and effective way I found amazing.
  57. louisedavid
    May 14, 2006
    C'est le plus beau film que j'ai vu depuis que j'ai visionné le film '' Les uns et les autres de Claude Lenouche''.
    J'ai le goût de vivre en Italie et de voir les paysages vus dans ce film. Les personnages sont humains et vivent beaucoup de drames. Quel beau sujet de discussion sur la santé mentale et l'art de communiquer ou de ...ne pas communiquer ses maux de l'âme.
  58. MichaelB.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Haunting & historic, an unusual achievement.
  59. KatherineR.
    Jan 28, 2007
    One the best films I've seen in soooo long. Like curling up with a great novel and that's saying a lot when it comes to film.
  60. LloydM.
    Apr 19, 2007
    A masterpiece. Its sincerity, visual and aural beauty, and depiction of the interplay of personal character and social history sets it apart from most contemporary films. An extraordinary collaboration on an epic scale.
  61. AlanL
    Nov 15, 2009
    I saw this film when it was first released. it is now November 2009 and I just recommended it to a friend, deciding for the first time to look at some of the film's reviews. Reading those reviews brought back so much of my pleasure in this film that I began to have tears in my eyes. The film is a great experience.
  62. RobertL
    Sep 23, 2009
    One of the best films I've ever seen. Beautiful, warm, suspenseful, tender. Can't recommend too highly. After the six hours you'll still not want it to end.
  63. TodP.
    Dec 29, 2007
    Like no other film. Overwhelming in the way that a great novel can be.

The acting is electric. By the end of this haunting, hypnotic film, you feel you have watched lives being lived, not just imagined.
  2. Lo Cascio and Boni inhabit their roles with keen intellectual and emotional vigor.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    At nearly six hours, pic's extreme length lets Giordana and screenwriters Sandro Petraglia and Stefano Rulli build up a novelistic rhythm, pulling the audience so deeply and forcefully into their story that it becomes like a enveloping dream; when it's over, parting with the characters is truly sweet and sorrowful.