The Blind Side

7.3

1. JeffJ
    Mar 2, 2010
    The Blind Side is a funny but overrated film that somehow is nominated for an oscar for best picture. I think some of the jokes are just plain stupid but some are clever. The film has a great story I think it is very uplifting but at times it is so unrealistic it make me roll my eyes. Sandra Bullock had a good role not great because it wasn't anything new to her I have seen her play The Blind Side is a funny but overrated film that somehow is nominated for an oscar for best picture. I think some of the jokes are just plain stupid but some are clever. The film has a great story I think it is very uplifting but at times it is so unrealistic it make me roll my eyes. Sandra Bullock had a good role not great because it wasn't anything new to her I have seen her play these type of roles plenty of times. Overall the movie is so overrated and should not be nominated for an oscar. But its a above average movie. Expand
  2. ChadS
    Nov 21, 2009
    Oh, they're boosters. In a funny way, this bit of late-breaking information functions the same as the "he's dead" revelation in M. Night Shyamalan's "The Sixth Sense", because it forces the moviegoer to reexamine all the preceeding scenes under a new frame of reference. Whereas Shyamalan situated the Bruce Willis character sans conversation among the living, this filmmaker Oh, they're boosters. In a funny way, this bit of late-breaking information functions the same as the "he's dead" revelation in M. Night Shyamalan's "The Sixth Sense", because it forces the moviegoer to reexamine all the preceeding scenes under a new frame of reference. Whereas Shyamalan situated the Bruce Willis character sans conversation among the living, this filmmaker too stages scenes that hide the truth in plain sight, then blindsides the moviegoer with a game-changing moment of epiphany. Here, it's in a surprisingly terse scene between Michael(Quintin Aaron) and a NCAA investigator, in which the Touhys are cast in a surprisingly unfavorable light, complicating the film's emotional uplift ever so slightly. Good samaritans or hell-bent boosters? Although the Touhy's are never labeled as such, the evidence of their vested interest in a good left tackle is right in your face all along. An Ole Miss football game on Thanksgiving Day dominates the Touhy household, in which the family gathers around the television from the sofa with their turkey-stuffed plates. When Leigh-Ann(Sandra Bullock) observes her charge sitting by himself at the dining room table, she shuts off the game, and has them join their permanent guest for a more traditional familial holiday arrangement. This is the moment, perhaps, that Leigh-Ann starts to understand how their football-centric lifestyle might need some toning down. (Even the Touhys' young son is put to work as Michael's trainer.) To what extent is her paternalism motivated by a rabid love for Rebel football? Unfortunately, "The Blind Side" bails the University of Mississippi alumnists out, during an exchange where Leigh-Ann and Sean(Tim McGraw) suss out their motivations with a proper amount of self-flaggelation, so we don't have to. But in a telling scene, Miss Sue(Kathy Bates), Michael's tutor, tries to recruit the future NFL star away from hated SEC rival Tennessee with a crazy story about Neyland Stadium(where the Volunteers play its home games), which validates the possibility that a well-to-do couple would feed and clothe an offensive line prospect for their beloved team. Expand
  3. BillC.
    Nov 30, 2009
    This movie is pretty harmless Holiday fare, A true story ,yet it's not all that uplifting and the acting is nothing special either. I like Sandra Bullock , but so far she's pnly shown acting abilities in one movie - Crash. This film is pretty to look at and very standard Family stuff.
  4. Nov 30, 2012
    This movie is held on a level that I don't understand. Sandra was not brilliant and the movie lacks any creativity or originality in it. Contrived and predictable. This is just an ok cliche movie that is kind of boring.
  5. Sep 22, 2011
    "The Blind Side" isn't a movie where you cry at amazing performances and heart throbbing dialogue. It's a movie that will roughly intercept your mind for a painful tear.
  6. HannahB.
    Apr 5, 2010
    This movie feels like a racist Disney Channel movie. I mean the idea that some white lady changes a black guys life is demeaning. Sure, an okay performance from Sandra Bullock but an Oscar?! That's ridiculous.
  7. RanelG
    Jan 4, 2010
    I have to say this is pretty much a great film for a person who still alive and active in what he/she does. It had great acting, but the only flaw on why I gave it a 6 is well it seemed to look too much of as a "family film" when it really isn't.
  8. YapyHappy
    Mar 2, 2010
    Nice performance from Bullock, but terrible film.
  9. BruceN.
    Feb 15, 2010
    It might have been a "true" story but I felt uneasy all through the flik, and I was glad when they were investigated. I wanted to investigate them but then I remembered this is a movie. If you don't live in the south and you have never been around zealous boosters and you never been exposed to sheltered/gated-wealthy-I-wanna-help-the-poor you probably did have a feel good experience. It might have been a "true" story but I felt uneasy all through the flik, and I was glad when they were investigated. I wanted to investigate them but then I remembered this is a movie. If you don't live in the south and you have never been around zealous boosters and you never been exposed to sheltered/gated-wealthy-I-wanna-help-the-poor you probably did have a feel good experience. (I imagine the family had such a feel good experience they have adopted a tight end and guard by now) I'm sorry the answer he gave to the investigator, and Bullock's enlightening drivebys on the side of town she'd never been to, and their poor boy walking in the rain come home with us beginning - just didn't work for me. But if you are right I hope this movie empties our foster homes - still a silly story. And I don't want to shock anyone but if they say it is based on a true story it doesn't mean that it is all or even mostly true. Expand
  10. RobertI.
    Mar 10, 2010
    A feel-good movie in the Hollywood tradition. I cannot see why Sandra Bullock received the Academy Award for her role, which is competent, but hardly galvanizing or trans formative, compared to Helen Mirren's superb Countess Tolstoy, for example. Go figure.
  11. kgm
    Dec 1, 2009
    A feel-good movie which is enriched by some compelling characterizations. I especially liked Bullock
  12. BillyS.
    Jan 6, 2010
    Just because Sandra Bullock doesn't have any pratfalls in Blind Side, all the sudden she's an Oscar worthy actress? Seriously? The Blind Side is nothing more than an average movie-of-the-week, and the fact that it's based on a true story makes me wonder how much of it is embellished just for the rich white female audience that it was made for. I mean, really? A 10! Really? Just because Sandra Bullock doesn't have any pratfalls in Blind Side, all the sudden she's an Oscar worthy actress? Seriously? The Blind Side is nothing more than an average movie-of-the-week, and the fact that it's based on a true story makes me wonder how much of it is embellished just for the rich white female audience that it was made for. I mean, really? A 10! Really? Talk about a Blind Siide. Expand
  13. JohnW
    Jan 8, 2010
    This movie was numb. Although it had a great fundamental, the story was inconclusively progressive; losing the entire emotion of the film. The football aspect was pushed aside, the quandaries were flimsy and sometimes ridiculous, and the film lacked an emotion so shallow that it was just another chick flick. Disappointed.
  14. martins
    Mar 29, 2010
    I found this movie a bit condescending despite all the good intentions. The fact that it was nominated for an oscar shows just how easy it is to manipulate the selection committee.
  15. MarilynK
    Dec 5, 2009
    Sicky sweet and cheesy. I felt I was supposed to be impressed by the magnitute of what the white family did for the poor, black kid, but couldn't quite dredge it up. And if Sandra Bullock had one iota of complexity to her character besides perfection, I swear I might have liked her better.
  16. May 3, 2013
    There is no doubt that The Blind Side is a good movie, which includes with a strong performance by Sandra Bullock. But it's goodness is tainted by tonal confusion, an irritating child character and plenty of corny and cheesy moments.
  17. Feb 8, 2012
    It falls for too many sport cliche's to actually be Oscar Nominee worthy and it is too sentimental, but Sandra Bullock gives a crowd pleasing performance. I give this movie 59% of a good movie.
  18. Dec 29, 2012
    Sandra Bullock was the only good thing about the film. It adhered to a certain formula and it's basically a feel-good movie that falls short of being uplifting.
  19. Jun 17, 2013
    It's ridiculous that this movie was a best picture nominee why a typical american story
    Sandra Bullock was good but she wasn't great or memorable
  20. Nov 16, 2013
    The Blind Side sees some good.
    The movie feels about 80% of the way finished but just isn't quite moving enough to effect anyone the way it should. The acting was fine, and the story was good. The liberties taken were missteps from the true story, that didn't enhance and only damaged it.
  21. Jun 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like football. I don't really like the south. I didn't like the theme. And honestly I didn't like The Blind Side. I'm not gonna go super in-depth here in this review because I don't feel that plot had any surprises and could as easily be found on the Wikipedia page, so I'll just give you my comments.

I think this movie was very well-made. It had great actors and spot on scenery and location. But I found it was really lacking intrigue – at least to me. I'm glad Michael got his best chance, but the movie felt like it was rewarding this white family for acting as a hero, because they saved his life. I think they did a great thing for Michael, but just something about the acting and the family rubbed me the wrong way and I can't make up my mind on how my position in the NCAA case. Overall, it was well-executed, but lacked pretty much everything I look for in a movie and I don't think I would ever watch it again or recommend it to anyone wanting to watch a good movie.

Grounded in the direct, disarming truth of their experience, the movie has a straightforward lack of cheap sentiment that saves it from being either too maudlin or saccharine-sweet.
  2. Bullock is an irrepressible hoot in writer-director John Lee Hancock's otherwise thoroughly conventional take on Michael Lewis' fact-based book "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game."
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Uplifting and entertaining feel-good, fact-based sports drama.