The Boondock Saints

7.9

1. KyleT.
    Feb 13, 2007
    Simplistic and shallow, but entertaining for it's engaging execution scenes and occasional banter. A true popcorn movie, but don't expect any deep or meaningful experiences!
  2. JonathanS.
    Oct 30, 2009
    Well, I liked this movie a lot freshman year of high school, at an all-male catholic preparatory--but trust me, at this stage in my life the movie is pretty terrible. I boosted the score 1 point because of nostalgic value, but this really is a bad movie, and hopefully people will outgrow it within a year or two of seeing it. Sure, my tastes are what a lot of people might consider Well, I liked this movie a lot freshman year of high school, at an all-male catholic preparatory--but trust me, at this stage in my life the movie is pretty terrible. I boosted the score 1 point because of nostalgic value, but this really is a bad movie, and hopefully people will outgrow it within a year or two of seeing it. Sure, my tastes are what a lot of people might consider pretentious, but I still appreciate having fun watching stylized films that don't require having to think, like with films such as Wanted or Kill Bill. But unless you're 14 like I was the first time I saw the film, almost everything in this film reeks of ineptitude. Expand
  3. BlakeJ.
    Mar 11, 2007
    An action movie that attempts to be a message piece. The only message I got from it was, "dont ever watch me again". It was just plain hard to watch....Everyone should stop trying to imitate Scorsese, I mean come on, he is the only one who can make a movie with guns be about something more than guns...Sorry Mr. Duffy.
  4. matta.
    Sep 26, 2005
    Pretty weak and uninteresting. The directors are clearly just ripping off their favorite mafia/action movies. The leads are okay, but the go in and out of using the irish accent throughout the film, which was annoying. Also, the screenplay sucked ass. Could have added alot to the film and saved it somewhat if their was some crisp dialogue. Altogether, a little below average.
  5. Jeff
    Apr 25, 2005
    Nice but not THAT nice.
  6. KurtP
    Feb 15, 2005
    This film epitomizes mediocre filmmaking. Duffy brings up an interesting philosophical point, but his film seems to run out of good ideas about half way through. The dialogue is hackneyed and the plot is very self-contained. It
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    Part-80s cop drama, part-Reservoir Dogs wannabe, part-stoner comedy, this movie definitely knows its audience (why else is it inexplicably rated NC-17?) The most surprising thing about it is that it works, even if the movie is meant to be outgrown. They just needed to find some leads who can actually act....
  8. Apr 10, 2014
    I won't attempt to be articulate. I enjoyed the movie- brotherhood, trust, loyalty among the brothers, dark, but enjoyable. Wicked fight scenes! What murdered this movie is the detective being so gay in life and acting like he isn't a **** in bed with that dude, and acted like a ferry throughout the movie. Where was the correlation? Why did he have to be gay? Him acting so queer throughI won't attempt to be articulate. I enjoyed the movie- brotherhood, trust, loyalty among the brothers, dark, but enjoyable. Wicked fight scenes! What murdered this movie is the detective being so gay in life and acting like he isn't a **** in bed with that dude, and acted like a ferry throughout the movie. Where was the correlation? Why did he have to be gay? Him acting so queer through me off. Confusing. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    More interested in finding fresh ways to stage execution scenes than in finding meaning behind the human urge for self-appointed righting of wrongs, (the film) is stuffed with effects that have no lasting impact.
    (Duffy) navigates the twisted collision of religious faith and the thrill of the kill, altruism and brutality, with an ingenious mix of humor, horror, mysticism, and just plain hipness.
    (Duffy's) assembled a fine cast -- it's hard to take your eyes off the two young leads -- but he's given them little to do but squeeze triggers and mouth platitudes.