The Bourne Identity

7.4

1. Jun 18, 2015
    I remember how I loved The Bourne Identity when it first came out, the plot, the action, I thought everything was great about this film was riveting but then I saw it again and I dozed off for a little bit.

The film doesn’t really holds up today but weirdly enough the plot and the action is style good. The fight scenes and the stunts are still impressive today but the sound effects are kinda bad, it actually put me off of the fight scenes this time around. How come punches sounded like that in movies back then? And how the hell was I ok with it? It took me out of the story and I struggled to get back in it.

As distracting as the sound effects are in the film, The Bourne Identity has a good cast, Matt Damon is amazing in that role, completely belivable as this amnesiac dude who knows all of these thing. The story is simple but efficient as are the action scenes. It has a James Bondsy flavor, that is if James Bond was on a budget, which gives a gritty, realistic feel to the movie.

The Bourne Identity has its quirks but it’s a rather entertaining film. by @wornoutspines
  2. Aug 17, 2013
    The Bourne Idenity is a solid action flick that had a good plot. The movie started strong but towards the end I didn't know what Damon's character goal was. He wanted answers but he didn't really know what he was looking for in which turned to me not knowing what to look for.
  3. Aug 21, 2012
    I will give it a 6 out of 10 because I found it too slow paced for an action movie, the first third of the movie was very entertaining but then after that it started to get tiring.
  4. Sep 25, 2011
    "Bourne Identity" is a serious action movie that looks cool, but creating a game off of this might have been a better choice.
  5. ErwinK.
    Feb 8, 2005
    Supremely overrated.
  6. PatC.
    Jan 12, 2004
    Competent disposable filmmaking. Raises a fatal question for formula characters: What good is it to remember who you are if you were nobody to begin with?
  7. RyanM.
    Jul 3, 2002
    It slogs through a story that's never interesting, never original, and definitely never attaching.
  8. JoshuaW.
    Jun 20, 2002
    It's an average suspense flick, minus the suspense. I would like to have seen more from Franka Potente and less of the bad guys figuring out what to do next. I could also have done without the no-brainer ending. Instead of seeing this movie, just play Metal Gear Solid.
  9. WilliamB.
    Jun 18, 2002
    Too much violence and not enough character development. Suspenseful but yet lacking the knockout punch. If you have time on your hands, its just okay.
  10. BlancoA.
    Jun 16, 2002
    Very average movie. Franka Potente is excellent, though. So glad they didn't cast an American actress for the role....
  11. RobertH.
    Jun 15, 2002
    Suspenseful flick about a CIA assassin with amnesia who fails to carry out his mission. Matt Damon stumbles though the rest of the movie in Paris trying to discover who he actually is without himself being killed by the CIA. Nice car chase scene as was done years ago in The French Connection. The movie plods along to its predictable ending. Too bad there is never any time between the gore Suspenseful flick about a CIA assassin with amnesia who fails to carry out his mission. Matt Damon stumbles though the rest of the movie in Paris trying to discover who he actually is without himself being killed by the CIA. Nice car chase scene as was done years ago in The French Connection. The movie plods along to its predictable ending. Too bad there is never any time between the gore to develop the main characters. The movie left me wanting more of an explanation. Matt is certainly not the next Arnie S. as an action hero. Expand
  12. BrianC.
    Jun 15, 2002
    Having just read the book I was very dissapointed. The action was OK but all the important tension from the main character's not knowing who he is and who he suspects he is is missing completely

1. Baltimore Sun
    Reviewed by: Michael Sragow
    The Bourne Identity keeps you in a state of nervous excitation from the opening shot to the fade-out and has a thread of deadpan humor that vibrates alongside the main action like a third rail quivering next to a hurtling train.
    The full-throttle approach of director Doug Liman (Swingers, Go) is impressive.
  3. It has a few whispers of intrigue, but at the heart of The Bourne Identity lies a dispiriting paradox: The more that Jason Bourne learns about himself, the less arresting he seems.