The Cabin in the Woods

8.0

1. May 17, 2012
    An excellent blend of comedy and thriller The Cabin in the Woods has redefined the horror film genre. I have heard many say that this is one of the best horror films in the last 10 years and I believe that they would be mostly right about that. My only critique of that is that the movie is not so much scary as it is clever and well written. As someone who does not really like horror filmsAn excellent blend of comedy and thriller The Cabin in the Woods has redefined the horror film genre. I have heard many say that this is one of the best horror films in the last 10 years and I believe that they would be mostly right about that. My only critique of that is that the movie is not so much scary as it is clever and well written. As someone who does not really like horror films I was pleasantly surprised by this film. One can definitely see the influence of Joss Whedon in the writing. This will likely be in my Top 10 of the year and is worthy of much praise. "Am I on speaker phone?" Odin's Score: 90/100 Expand
  2. May 17, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods simply oozes brilliance. It deconstructs almost every aspect of modern day horror tropes with such energetic wit. Despite being a little less frightening than I was hoping for, Goddard and Whedon have crafted such an outrageously fun film. Try not to smile. I dare you.
  3. May 15, 2012
    The most interesting horror movie I've seen in a while - a clever premise that is fed to you in parallel with a seemingly traditional teen slasher flick. Saw it twice in theatres; will be buying the DVD.
  4. May 5, 2012
    I definitely did not expect to enjoy this film but it did what it set out to do. It was highly enjoyable and I can't give a detailed review because I feel like you have to go in to it with no expectations in order to like it. Be open-minded.
  5. May 5, 2012
    This movie has lots of twists and turns which make it interesting and entertaining to watch. I must admit i was not able to predict the ending, including how crazy it was, which in itself was entertaining. Would have liked a little more explanation as to all the whys and hows i was left with though.
  6. May 4, 2012
    I've never been a fan, as a rule of horror movies, however, the trailer drew me to this one and i'm glad it did, the awful acting we usually get in horror movies wasn't there this time round, in fact, the whole cast were excellent, the special effects were really very good and the humorous, intelligent dialogue (another thing you don't usually get in horrors) was brilliant, loved the film,I've never been a fan, as a rule of horror movies, however, the trailer drew me to this one and i'm glad it did, the awful acting we usually get in horror movies wasn't there this time round, in fact, the whole cast were excellent, the special effects were really very good and the humorous, intelligent dialogue (another thing you don't usually get in horrors) was brilliant, loved the film, Chris Hemsworth, although with less to do in this than he does in Thor, was great in it too. Expand
  7. May 3, 2012
    Such a horrible mish-mash styles that just drags on and on. None of the elements ever come together. There are bits of so many different movies tossed into the blender that you end of with a pile of goop at the end. The movie starts out promising. The banter is hip and paced quickly to move the story. The characters range from flat to likable. But then the weirdness starts. Once in theSuch a horrible mish-mash styles that just drags on and on. None of the elements ever come together. There are bits of so many different movies tossed into the blender that you end of with a pile of goop at the end. The movie starts out promising. The banter is hip and paced quickly to move the story. The characters range from flat to likable. But then the weirdness starts. Once in the woods, the story takes a dive. Actually, it suffers a psychotic break. The smart talk ends and plot self-destruction begins. Expand
  8. Apr 30, 2012
    This could be described as a funny horror movie, but I'm going with a very dark comedy. But it works well either way. Funny, scary, fast and above all - smart! The unexpected turns, sparkling dialog and note-perfect acting make this a joy all the way through. I haven't had this much out-and-out fun at a movie in years. Very highly recommended, and worth seeing on the big screen before DVD,This could be described as a funny horror movie, but I'm going with a very dark comedy. But it works well either way. Funny, scary, fast and above all - smart! The unexpected turns, sparkling dialog and note-perfect acting make this a joy all the way through. I haven't had this much out-and-out fun at a movie in years. Very highly recommended, and worth seeing on the big screen before DVD, too, just to get all the details. Expand
  9. Apr 28, 2012
    A great horror movie, has a few laughs interjected but make no mistake, this is not a parody, it IS a graphic horror movie that has real scares. Very original and beware of spoilers, because the suspense would be ruined, most original horror movie I've seen in years, well acted too.
  10. Apr 28, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. I'm a big fan of horror movies but i went into this movie not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised by the extent to which they had thought outside the box.
  11. Apr 28, 2012
    Cabin in the Woods is an enjoyable film for horror aficionados and horror virgins alike. Although it fails to be particularly scary it is a great romp through the horror genre. Some aspects of it are lacking. Whilst the stereotyping of the characters is necessary, the dialogue often fails to hit home. What could be laugh out loud quips only raise at most a chuckle and often theCabin in the Woods is an enjoyable film for horror aficionados and horror virgins alike. Although it fails to be particularly scary it is a great romp through the horror genre. Some aspects of it are lacking. Whilst the stereotyping of the characters is necessary, the dialogue often fails to hit home. What could be laugh out loud quips only raise at most a chuckle and often the dialogue feels like a rush job, tacked onto the end of what is an accomplished story arc. In addition (and I hate to bring up realism in what is so clearly a fictional film) the main characters appear to be superhuman. Everyone knows that some leeway can be given in horror films on this point, but characters appear to receive near mortal wounds and yet three scenes later are completely restored to full health. Perhaps I'm nit picking but it bothered me more than once. I would have given this a higher score but the two points above detracted enough to stop Cabin in the Woods being a tour de force, instead leaving it more a tour de genre. Expand
  12. Apr 28, 2012
    Never has a recent horror film been so purely exhilarating, funny and ultimately entertaining as this. Clever, twisty, and brilliant right from the start to the end. Possibly the best film of 2012 so far, and that's saying something.
  13. Apr 26, 2012
    How do you create a movie that is a very good comedy, and a pretty creepy horror? I honestly can't do it, but the people who made this are great at it. Similar to Inception and Pulp Fiction (okay, maybe not so much the latter), this movie is horribly misunderstood by the common person, but to anyone who has a sense of meta-humour, good cinematography, writing, and great plot line thisHow do you create a movie that is a very good comedy, and a pretty creepy horror? I honestly can't do it, but the people who made this are great at it. Similar to Inception and Pulp Fiction (okay, maybe not so much the latter), this movie is horribly misunderstood by the common person, but to anyone who has a sense of meta-humour, good cinematography, writing, and great plot line this movie shines like lamp in a dark basement (See what I did there, I was implying that horror movies in general aren't that great... I was also referencing the movie). I did think that the end could have been "better" only because I didn't want it to end that way. Anyway, I'm just going to conclude with "That was awesome." Expand
  14. Apr 25, 2012
    Absolutely loved this movie! I went for Joss Whedon and I was not disappointed. The story was great and kept me guessing, even though I had read some reviews. Acting was good, especially Fran Kranz. It was funny, but this did not cheapen the thrills. I was still jumping occasionally. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford had great chemistry and helped to bring the balance betweenAbsolutely loved this movie! I went for Joss Whedon and I was not disappointed. The story was great and kept me guessing, even though I had read some reviews. Acting was good, especially Fran Kranz. It was funny, but this did not cheapen the thrills. I was still jumping occasionally. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford had great chemistry and helped to bring the balance between comedy and serious undertones that Joss is known for. I was also impressed by the supporting cast members. All in all, a must see for anyone, even those that hate horror. Expand
  15. Apr 24, 2012
    Theres only one word to describe this movie: badass. Its definitely on my top ten list for best movies i've seen, and i'd recommend it to anybody looking for a great movie to see in theaters. I wouldn't call it a horror flick though. It really belongs in the suspense genre.
  16. Apr 23, 2012
    This movie was the definition of mind-blowing. It was absolutely fantastic. It's impossible to describe the film without giving anything away, thats why the synopsis is so short. I work at a movie theater and just the other day, a group of three guys went to go see this movie and left 10 minutes into it and said it was the dumbest movie ever made and it was a waste of money and time. ImThis movie was the definition of mind-blowing. It was absolutely fantastic. It's impossible to describe the film without giving anything away, thats why the synopsis is so short. I work at a movie theater and just the other day, a group of three guys went to go see this movie and left 10 minutes into it and said it was the dumbest movie ever made and it was a waste of money and time. Im sorry but if you are like these 3 men then you are a hypocrite and you are just plain stupid. Everybody and i mean everybody complains or at least acknowledges the fact that all horror movies are made the same nowadays. The Cabin in the Woods has listened to everybody and has turned the tides. This film is pure genius. It changes it up and shows you behind the scenes of every cheesy cliche horror film ever made, and it does it very well. It explains everything we've ever seen in a horror film, including the fact as to why you always have the athlete, the whore, the scholar, the fool, and the "virgin" as they say, but otherwise known as the good girl. It will have you on the edge of your seat, it will make you laugh your head off, and most of all, it will make your jaw drop. I loved this film and i believe everybody else will and has too, unless you are a hypocrite like those 3 guys. 10/10...perfection Expand
  17. Apr 22, 2012
    Know nothing about this film when you go to see it. Hollywood today with there plethora of remakes and book to big screen adaptations, lacks creativity. This movie is just that, boatloads of creativity. Legitimately the most fun I have had watching a movie in a long time. The girl that I took to see it had her head covered by her coat for half of the movie, I was laughing, jumping, and forKnow nothing about this film when you go to see it. Hollywood today with there plethora of remakes and book to big screen adaptations, lacks creativity. This movie is just that, boatloads of creativity. Legitimately the most fun I have had watching a movie in a long time. The girl that I took to see it had her head covered by her coat for half of the movie, I was laughing, jumping, and for the last thirty minutes of the movie just in absolute awe about how awesome what I was watching was. Def a must see. Expand
  18. Apr 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By far one of the films that i am thankful for going to on a whim. The Cabin in the Woods was a dominant force to what a solid film can contain. This movie was filled with it all humor, thrill, scare, action, romance, and even gore. The way to movie flowed and and grabbed viewers attention was phenomenal, ill think twice before walking into the next cabin i enter in the woods who knows what could be in the cellar waiting for me. Expand
  19. Apr 22, 2012
    I watched this movie yesterday and I want to say that this movie is really cool. This movie is really unpredictable and insane. And the jokes, they are awesome.
  20. Apr 22, 2012
    I can't go into specifics as this movie is pretty much a plot twist, but in essence this is two different stories. An intentionally standard slasher flick with the very expected archetypes, and a sub-story about making a movie for a very discerning audience... *cough* the discerning audience being the 11 negative reviews who are going "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA the slasher flick is totally average!"I can't go into specifics as this movie is pretty much a plot twist, but in essence this is two different stories. An intentionally standard slasher flick with the very expected archetypes, and a sub-story about making a movie for a very discerning audience... *cough* the discerning audience being the 11 negative reviews who are going "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA the slasher flick is totally average!" as I type this.

Basically, if you watch horror movies and wonder why people constantly make such stupid decisions and always fit their standard arhetypes, you'll find this movie hilarious and it'll actually tell you why people make the decisions they do in such movies if you bother to pay attention.

If you want an actual slasher flick where you can just shut off your brain and watch blood spill for a few hours, this may be a bit high brow and meta for your liking.
  21. Apr 21, 2012
    Without a doubt one of the best horror movies ive seen, great actors, smart plot, good funny moments. All around amazing movie. I reccomend this movie to anyone.
  22. Apr 21, 2012
    Man this year has been full of great stuff. This is well worth seeing. I give it a 10 just because its actually creative for a change and such a fun movie.! Highly recommend this seeing this.
  23. ETV
    Apr 21, 2012
    I was waiting for this film for over a year. And I was not let down. I enjoyed every part of it. A big fan of Joss and Drew I knew I wouldn't be bored. Those who say they didn't like it, took it too seriously and obviously don't understand the film!! So if you are actually smart you'll enjoy it
  24. Apr 20, 2012
    One of the most original horror movies that I have seen in a VERY LONG time!! Such a fun time. Had some good scare moments but overall this movie never took itself too seriously. This should definitely should be experienced in a movie theater.
  25. Apr 19, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant movie. I think some people are going in expecting a slasher movie. Don't do that. It's more a black comedy wrapped around a great central concept. Whedon's humor is all over this flick, and he's never been funnier. Everybody praised Scream for the way it disassembled the horror genre, but Cabin does it SO much better.
  26. Apr 17, 2012
    This film was pure amazement. This movie will be a classic later on because it is probably the best well-put horror film I have ever seen. The cast, the plot, the twists ahead all come into place with "The Cabin in the Woods" and works out perfectly. Go see this film you will not regret it.

"You think you know the story"
  27. Apr 17, 2012
    Not as great as I thought it would be, but still a cool movie. I love the direction it has, with all the cliches and unexpected laughs, but I just feel like they could expanded it a bit more and really dug further into the last 30 minutes.
  28. Apr 17, 2012
    This film is refreshingly original. A brilliant hybrid of both horror and comedy; 'The Cabin In The Woods' is simply good fun. Without spoiling anything it'll be like nothing you've ever seen before.
  29. Apr 17, 2012
    It appears to be a familiar horror trope: a group of college students plans to spend a wild weekend in the titular location. The new angle is there from the beginning. As they're dispatched (without much originality or brutality), the bigger picture emerges. The high concept is cool, but the execution is medium and the payoff is low. It's more of a sci-fi teaser than a suspenseful orIt appears to be a familiar horror trope: a group of college students plans to spend a wild weekend in the titular location. The new angle is there from the beginning. As they're dispatched (without much originality or brutality), the bigger picture emerges. The high concept is cool, but the execution is medium and the payoff is low. It's more of a sci-fi teaser than a suspenseful or shocking film. Overall, the creators are impressed with their own cleverness, but donâ Expand
  30. Apr 16, 2012
    This movie is seriously awesome. I've seen a lot of horror movies in the last 10 years, and this one by far takes the cake. It's original, different, funny, entertaining, and purely delightful. If you haven't seen this yet, do so! Also try your absolute best not to hear any spoilers, it's best to see it without knowing anything about the plot. PAY THE $12 and SEE THIS NOW!
  31. Apr 16, 2012
    Good but not great. A lot of kids are highly overrating it. There isn't many surprises, twists, or turns as most other reviews suggest, it's not that terribly smart either. The gore wasn't that good and the special effects were very meh too. Tucker and Dale vs Evil did the dark comedy horror genre better. See this movie but do not expect greatness, I was quite a bit let down...
  32. Apr 16, 2012
    The best film since Apocalypto! Masterpiece of 2012. Shocking+Innovative+Scary+Funny. I don't want to add anything else.
    Don't let other to spoil it for you.
  33. Apr 15, 2012
    Avoid spoilers and go see it! A movie for horror fans that delivers on EVERY promise it makes. Brilliant. Also, it features the most enjoyable scene I've ever seen!
  34. Apr 15, 2012
    One of the coolest, freshest, best movies I've seen at the theater in a long, long time. You owe it to yourself to see this film. It's just when you think the movie's going to zig...it zags. Keeps you on your toes all the way until the credits roll.
  35. Apr 15, 2012
    This film was awesome! I wasn't completely sure about seeing it at first, but my brother said it would be good and damn was he right!! It was a little confusing at first but everything becomes clear as the film progresses, and there's a few twist and turns that make the story really interesting. I was also in stitches laughing at points, but that may just be my sense of humour. If horrorThis film was awesome! I wasn't completely sure about seeing it at first, but my brother said it would be good and damn was he right!! It was a little confusing at first but everything becomes clear as the film progresses, and there's a few twist and turns that make the story really interesting. I was also in stitches laughing at points, but that may just be my sense of humour. If horror is your thing, make sure you watch this film! Expand
  36. Apr 15, 2012
    I had zero expectations when I walked into this film, I thought, "Generic five friends go out to cabin in in the middle of nowhere, brutally killed by monsters, seen it before." I knew there was some government control going on, but nothing more. The trailer for this movie doesn't capture its true greatness. Joss Wheadon and Drew Goddard did a perfect job of blending humor and horror. TheI had zero expectations when I walked into this film, I thought, "Generic five friends go out to cabin in in the middle of nowhere, brutally killed by monsters, seen it before." I knew there was some government control going on, but nothing more. The trailer for this movie doesn't capture its true greatness. Joss Wheadon and Drew Goddard did a perfect job of blending humor and horror. The funny parts were absolutely hilarious, and the horror scenes were done brilliantly. I wish there were more movies like this. I will gladly see this again... I want the DVD now. Expand
  37. Apr 15, 2012
    This movie is the cherry on the top of cake of this genre. I loved it! I laughed, I jumped a few times and at the end, I was just entertained to the max! What a hoot.
  38. Apr 15, 2012
    This movie is a love letter to horror movie fans as well as being one of the darkest comedies I have ever seen. The title of this movie makes it sound like the most generic horror movie, but I can guarantee this movie goes places you never thought a horror movie could go. If you like horror movies and can stomach the gore, this movie is a must. Don't watch the trailers, don't read aboutThis movie is a love letter to horror movie fans as well as being one of the darkest comedies I have ever seen. The title of this movie makes it sound like the most generic horror movie, but I can guarantee this movie goes places you never thought a horror movie could go. If you like horror movies and can stomach the gore, this movie is a must. Don't watch the trailers, don't read about that plot, just go see this movie. Expand
  39. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw The Cabin in the Woods last night and it was freakin' awesome. I cannot believe Sigourney Weaver was almost at the end of the movie where she was the director behind this fake Survivor-like reality show where they put five friends in a cabin house and all of a sudden, they didn't know that they've been setup by a security camera and everyone is watching for the five who wants to die. Everyone went crazy and I was stunned. I think this is the best horror movie of 2012 this far because it's not a reboot or a remake, but with lots of horrid zombies and gruesome creatures. I think it's paying homage to the Evil Dead and the video game "Resident Evil 2" with the deadly snakes and all the animals that a little lot like zombies. But the movie is awesome, can't wait for "Resident Evil: Retribution" and "Piranha 3DD." Expand
  40. Apr 15, 2012
    this movie was just wow! it was on a whole different level! the story in this movie is something seriously original! imagine "vacancy" meets "saw" its something pretty awesome. the movie was thrilling and scary, yet it pulled of a lot of laughs. fantastic movie!
  41. Apr 14, 2012
    Seeing the 9 out of 10 on this status should be enough to get you in the theater and watch this great film. It's more comedy then horror without making it a comedy. This changes the horror genre for the fourth time. First it was Nosferatu then it was Halloween then Scream. Now we have Cabin in the Woods who's take on horror will be bigger then the film itself. It's not important if theSeeing the 9 out of 10 on this status should be enough to get you in the theater and watch this great film. It's more comedy then horror without making it a comedy. This changes the horror genre for the fourth time. First it was Nosferatu then it was Halloween then Scream. Now we have Cabin in the Woods who's take on horror will be bigger then the film itself. It's not important if the film was the greatest because it does have flaws. What's important is the fact that it defines a new genre, a better and more evolved look at horror! Expand
  42. Apr 14, 2012
    I feel this was a really great film. As many reviewers have stated, go in blind to this one. To any of the reviewers trying to over generalize the idea that this movie rips off others movies I wanna say this. The human race, we're like Taco Bell. No matter how many items you see on that menu, it's still just different combinations of the same ingredients. The saying "there is nothingI feel this was a really great film. As many reviewers have stated, go in blind to this one. To any of the reviewers trying to over generalize the idea that this movie rips off others movies I wanna say this. The human race, we're like Taco Bell. No matter how many items you see on that menu, it's still just different combinations of the same ingredients. The saying "there is nothing new under the sun" applies to everything we see. This film dares to shatter cliches, laugh at existing ones, and offers twists and turns that only a real d-bag would spoil for a would-be viewer. Is it the best film of all time? Of course not. But it is one hell of a thrill ride, and that was the point. For this reviewer, I feel they made a resounding attempt to be fresh and original with this Horror/ Dark Comedy / Sci-Fi. If, like me, you feel like that kind of approach should be praised in this land of remakes and sequels, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  43. Apr 14, 2012
    Fantastic. The film delivers exactly as promised: it begins as a traditional slasher film, but eventually becomes a mind-boggling twist of a film. You get hints earlier on than I had expected, but the whole thing doesn't really come together until the end. Joss Whedon's sense of humor is very prevalent, and the counterbalance of Goddard's writing makes it that much better. Perfectly pacedFantastic. The film delivers exactly as promised: it begins as a traditional slasher film, but eventually becomes a mind-boggling twist of a film. You get hints earlier on than I had expected, but the whole thing doesn't really come together until the end. Joss Whedon's sense of humor is very prevalent, and the counterbalance of Goddard's writing makes it that much better. Perfectly paced and entertaining from start to finish. Expand
  44. Apr 14, 2012
    This is the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. It pokes fun at itself and horror movies that proceeded it in an original and entertaining way. Twists and turns keep you guessing about what will happen at the end until you finally see for yourself. I wasn't expecting humor in it, but the humor is what made it what it is. Genius.
  45. Apr 14, 2012
    Loved the movie. It was funny, tense, and intriguing at the same time. Probably the best horror movie I've seen since the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
  46. Apr 14, 2012
    The first 20minutes of this movie made me think.... How stupid are the people that reviewed this well? After that I saw the pure genius behind the cabin. Going back to the ancient times of human sacrifices this makes me go back to when movies were witty and original and this takes that for the gold.
  47. Apr 14, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods is at once a well-executed love letter to horror films and a complaint about the current status of horror. The horror genre in general seems to currently be at a creative pit-stop. Too many horror films today re-use ideas from other movies. The Cabin in the Woods recognizes this idea and plays with it as it goes along. I haven't been this entertained or had thisThe Cabin in the Woods is at once a well-executed love letter to horror films and a complaint about the current status of horror. The horror genre in general seems to currently be at a creative pit-stop. Too many horror films today re-use ideas from other movies. The Cabin in the Woods recognizes this idea and plays with it as it goes along. I haven't been this entertained or had this much fun at a horror movie in a long time. Much of the fun of this movie comes the twists and turns that are dished out as it unfolds, so DO NOT read any plot summaries that may seem detailed. Go see this one in theatres. Expand
  48. Apr 14, 2012
    I did enjoy the film to a point I would hardly call it ground breaking though its two or three other films put together but it is done well.The problem I have with the film is the end story it just seems rushed and not much thought put in to just left me feeling a bit let down.
  49. Apr 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the film as a horror/comedy, but I can't give it one of my TOP ratings simply because I was in the mood to get scared tonight - and there's nothing particularly scary about this film. They pull you out of the moment far too often to switch to the control room sequences - which is what makes this film entirely unique and interesting - and funny! But what makes horror movies set in the woods, or the desert, or the south pole, or space so scary is that palpable sense of isolation - nobody is there to hear you scream. But in this case, there's room full of guys waiting to see if the hot girl will take her top off. It's the opposite of isolation - they're all right there with you. Yes, it's gory, and it's fun, and it's smart, but simply not scary. By contrast, the Evil Dead movies had big scares in them, though they were also funny as hell. As far as the cast goes, the Dollhouse grads (Frank Franz and Amy Acker) are my faves - and they should be in MANY more films - not just the Joss Whedon projects. It's awesome that Whitford, Jenkins, and Weaver did this film - all are terrific in it. Again, it's a very good movie, and highly unique and entertaining - it just fell short of what I was expecting. I still recommend it. Expand
  50. Apr 13, 2012
    9 or a 10. hmmm. 10

9 or a 10. hmmm. 10

this movie has it all. purely entertaining. works on multiple levels. should be enjoyed by anybody who enjoys horror movies and, most importantly, has seen some horror movies that they thought were crap. Cabin in the Woods will also be of great interest to people who enjoy movies about movies, bad movies and total campfests.. but this film is much more than just an examination of bad movie tropes. there's a lot going on and ultimately a lot to think about. it's a must see.
  51. Apr 13, 2012
    The way I see it: You're going to have one of two reactions to "The Cabin in the Woods", either you'll like it (maybe even love it) or you won't (most seem to be loving it.) One thing is for sure though, you're not going to see this one coming a mile away, don't even bother guessing the plot while you're watching it. When the credits roll, don't think and wonder what the point of the movieThe way I see it: You're going to have one of two reactions to "The Cabin in the Woods", either you'll like it (maybe even love it) or you won't (most seem to be loving it.) One thing is for sure though, you're not going to see this one coming a mile away, don't even bother guessing the plot while you're watching it. When the credits roll, don't think and wonder what the point of the movie was or why you sat down for nearly two hours watching what you just watched- Just enjoy and accept it for what it is, which I'll leave to you to find out what that is exactly. . . . have fun. Expand
  52. Apr 13, 2012
    If you like horror movies, If you like Joss Whedon shows (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, etc) If you like Evil Dead, if you enjoy a bit of humor with your horror, if you just like an original fun story. If you like any or all of these things, then this movie is for you. It IS NOT a regular old fashion slasher film. It is something sooooo much greater but to tell you anything willIf you like horror movies, If you like Joss Whedon shows (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, etc) If you like Evil Dead, if you enjoy a bit of humor with your horror, if you just like an original fun story. If you like any or all of these things, then this movie is for you. It IS NOT a regular old fashion slasher film. It is something sooooo much greater but to tell you anything will spoil the surprises. IT IS AWESOME. This is a must see film that deserves a much wider audience. This will be a cult hit that will live forever Expand
  53. Apr 13, 2012
    I had been looking forward to this movie for a while and though I could see some of what was coming I definitely didn't foresee the grand scope of things. The only things I can say negative(if they are actually negative) is that I wish we could have seen more of the things used and also I wish we could have a sequel....though i dont think thats possible. I know I am being vague but to ruinI had been looking forward to this movie for a while and though I could see some of what was coming I definitely didn't foresee the grand scope of things. The only things I can say negative(if they are actually negative) is that I wish we could have seen more of the things used and also I wish we could have a sequel....though i dont think thats possible. I know I am being vague but to ruin it for everyone would be a crime. Go see this immediately, its awesome fun :) Expand
  54. Apr 13, 2012
    The horror genre desperately needed a movie like this. Recent offerings have relied far too heavily on gore, **** and jump scares to get a rise out audiences, and while The Cabin in the Woods has all three of these, they are not a means to an end but merely a meta reference to the problems plaguing the modern "scary" movie. The reason this film works and entertains is that it has actualThe horror genre desperately needed a movie like this. Recent offerings have relied far too heavily on gore, **** and jump scares to get a rise out audiences, and while The Cabin in the Woods has all three of these, they are not a means to an end but merely a meta reference to the problems plaguing the modern "scary" movie. The reason this film works and entertains is that it has actual substance, and without revealing what exactly I mean by that, I will say that it is unlike anything you have ever seen before. Its twists and turns are so outrageous, so ingenious, so hilarious, even, that you will wholly forgive the bland characters and the occasional cringe worthy line of dialogue. TCITW is a breath of fresh air, and absolutely worth the price of admission for anyone willing to submit their minds to a little 90 minute bender. Expand
  55. Apr 13, 2012
    A new horror queen, I love it! The Cabin in the Woods take all the meet cliches, and play with they, the cast OMG great performances, is an amazing movie, with a fantastic cast, the reborn of the horror movies.
  56. Apr 13, 2012
    I've been anticipating this movie for a long time, not because I thought it would be good, but because i'm a huge horror movie fan. I was fully expecting Cabin In The Woods to be another sad attempt at rebuffing Friday The 13th style scares, and what I got was a completely unique interpretation of what a horror movie should be. 'Cabin' successfully redefines the horror genre... something II've been anticipating this movie for a long time, not because I thought it would be good, but because i'm a huge horror movie fan. I was fully expecting Cabin In The Woods to be another sad attempt at rebuffing Friday The 13th style scares, and what I got was a completely unique interpretation of what a horror movie should be. 'Cabin' successfully redefines the horror genre... something I haven't seen since 'Scream'. Expand
  57. Apr 13, 2012
    Absolutely LOVED this movie. Do not read reviews, avoid spoilers at all costs and just go see it. If you like horrors movies at all you'll probably love this movie. Had some great scares, awesome CG, the story unfolded brilliantly and evolved perfectly in my mind. The first act is good, second act gets even better and the third act is just absolutely mind-bogglingly insane.

Go see it.
  58. Apr 13, 2012
    Well, not much can be said about this film without actually giving the goodies away, so it is best to keep it minimalistic. This film is awesome. It is insane. It plays on cliché and it plays on it well. There is plenty of blood and gore to go along with all the conversational interludes. There are also some unexpected laughs. This movie flows in a direction that I did notWell, not much can be said about this film without actually giving the goodies away, so it is best to keep it minimalistic. This film is awesome. It is insane. It plays on cliché and it plays on it well. There is plenty of blood and gore to go along with all the conversational interludes. There are also some unexpected laughs. This movie flows in a direction that I did not expect at all. Plainly, the previews really only do scratch the surface of whatâ Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 16, 2012
    A horror-movie attic sale is, in essence, exactly what Cabin in the Woods is, an attempt to exorcise the genre of its formulaic possession by stuffing the movie full of its most overused and predictable elements - and then dumping them through clever skewering.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Apr 14, 2012
    Because the first narrative is so crushingly generic (which turns out to be the point), most of the amusement derives from trying to figure out what the second one is all about. I'm not sure I ever did, but the climactic one-two punch of special-effects chaos and meta-movie chin stroking should have the fanboys trembling with delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Apr 13, 2012
    I've seen a lot of rip-offs of "The Truman Show" and a lot of rip-offs of "Scream." I guess I have to give credit to The Cabin in the Woods for ripping off both at once.