7.4

1. Sep 22, 2012
    Lets see what redeeming factors we can pull from this movie. Is it funny? No. I may have gotten a laugh or two in the whole thing. Scary? Not even close. Suspenseful? If you actually care about the characters, maybe. I watched this with my mom and at the end we both just looked at each other and couldn't believe how bad this movie was. I only watch movies that have favorable reviews and usually they are right. Someone compared this to Evil Dead in another review I read. Yea right. That movie was actually funny. Expand
  2. Sep 19, 2012
    The only reason this movie was unpopular was because they couldn't really give anything away in the trailers. It is such a great, interesting, new twist on horror movies. This is the first of 2 hits written by Joss Whedon, the second being The Avengers, and I'm eager to see what's next. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't say anything. If you see it without knowing much, then you'll have a much better film experience. This movie is just all around fantastic, and you HAVE to see this movie. Even if you don't like horror movies, you'll still find this movie interesting. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2012
    This movie is a breath of fresh air for the horror genre. And holy **** I want that transformable coffee mug / bong that the stoner character used... too bad that prototype cost $5000 to make 0_o
  4. Sep 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An enjoyable, clever and pretty original movie, with good humour. A little too heavy handed at times.

The film is very clever and satirises, not only horror films, but horror film viewers. Though some of the film's writing isn't as good as it tries to be. Despite the movie parodying cliché, cheesy movies. It is a pity that in order to parody this, it had to become one, at least for the first half. The only thing that kept my interest was the scientist/technician comedic scenes, because once I realised the horror was meant to be cliché I was just waiting for people to die and get it over with, like any other cliché movie.

This film makes out the stoner dude as though it's never happened before. Otherwise the 'gods' would've become angry with the sacrifices before. There's been many 'moronic stoner dudes' in horror films, yet this one is immune because weed immunises against the chemicals they induce?

I'd still recommend the movie, it's probably on par with Scream. It's no Evil Dead though.
  5. Sep 9, 2012
    Seriously critics? THIS movie is intelligent, brilliant and shocking? Absolutely no! This is just crap. It mixes every stupid idea other horror film makers had in the past years into one. Horrible actors, horrible dialogues and a plot which is extremely unrealistic. They begin with the usual bad horror movie and end up in an unfamiliar scenario which makes you laugh your ass off because it's just too silly. One of the worst movies I've seen by far - I can't believe my eyes when I'm reading the critics... Expand
  6. Sep 6, 2012
    The end of this movie makes it all worthwhile. It is smart and the way it plays out actually rewrites every other horror movie you've seen before! Quite fresh!
  7. Sep 3, 2012
    This was a good movie. I think one of the writers was Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Serenity fame, and this film has that same sort of polish and quality as those classics. As so many other commentators have said, you can't really say much without giving away the plot, so I won't. Its a clever, scary, funny movie. Lots of side references to other movies for those who like that sort of thing. What I will say though is don't be surprised if you can make a good guess at the overall plot quite early on into the movie. To me that doesn't matter, its a great movie, and one I'll watch several times. Expand
  8. Aug 28, 2012
    Ridiculous film with nonsense plot lines and silly, cheesy script. Stereotypical Yank rubbish! They never learn. To be fair I did laugh quite a few times at the stupidness I was watching.
  9. Aug 28, 2012
    The Cabin In The Woods is strange, funny and brilliant. I've never watched movie like this before. Special thanks to hilarious duo Jenkins - Whitford, notes for Jenkins's performance, it's the most hilarious performance I've ever seen this year.
  10. Aug 27, 2012
    One of the worst horror movies I've ever seen. It's supposed to be all 'cool' because this film is taking the piss out of your standard predictable horror film. The irony is that this is a standard predictable horror film too. 2/10
  11. Aug 27, 2012
    Great year for Joss Whedon. While this film was shelved for a number of years, The Cabin in the Woods were released in 2012, just before The Avengers was released. It's typical Whedon, with a wise cracking, self referential script, something we have seen him doing for the past decade or so, unleashed to the public. As a horror film it works, but it is a 'self referential' commentary on the genre itself. A cult classic. Expand
  12. Aug 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A combination of the truman show and a horror/fantasy movie with unconvincing acting and somewhat lame plot (the cliche breaking was unfitting, just confusing).
    And if a movie should catch my attention please don't start it off as any other horror film ever made, it ruins the impression, even though it's a parody. How would I know this was not just a standard horror movie?
    With bad acting and a uninteresting plot, not even scary, the only thing that i like about this movie is that its so predictable its funny.
  13. Aug 26, 2012
    Possibly the best horror movie in years, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS is frequently funny, highly original and ridiculously awesome! In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with this film. In fact, it is a horror fan's dream.
  14. Aug 25, 2012
    I went and saw this at the cinema within a week of release read no reviews just watched all the trailers and I was incredibly hyped for the film as I thought it was going to be bloody and hilarious. I was not disappointed. Marty and Dana were the best characters in the film. The Idea behind the film is simple. The creationary mind of Whedon and Goddard truly strikes again. I can't say much more without using Spoilers but It is a film definitely worth seeing. Expand
  15. Aug 22, 2012
    The title kind of discourage me to watch it, i would have thought this movie would just be a murder / killing type, but i was wrong after i found out that Joss Whedon was directing the movie and i gave it a go. I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end of the movie. The storyline was really surprising and the ending was unexpected.
  16. Aug 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not amazing ... but definitely not bad.

With a core idea which is quite innovative and awesome the film does tend to go a bit all over the place from the middle on and the character's "feats" are non-existent ("I actually rooting for this girl, she's got such heart", while in fact she hadn't done anything but run once or twice up to that point) and the acting a mediocre at best (though, bad acting is kinda mandatory in the horror genre isn't it).

With that being said, it IS a fun watch and to the fans of the genre it's a step up from what's been released these last few years.

What can I say, if you like horror movies, you'll enjoy it to some extent, but I still think they went a bit overboard as the film goes along, thus losing the grittiness that I personally like to have in my horror flics, going a bit too flashy with the special effects and a tad too many "baddies". You usually want to have your one Freddy Krueger or one Texas Massacre family to focus on, throwing all of them, including the kitchen sink (and a merman) in there at the end was a bit too "Michael Bay-esque" for my liking.

But hey, watch it. It's good.
  17. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie is just f*cking awesome! It plays with the classic horror conventions and does it with and absolute wicked sense of humor. Some scenes in this film that can be considered iconic and this film wil certainly get a deserved high ranking among the cult classics. This is one you HAVE to see!
  18. Aug 10, 2012
    Be forewarned, there's a lot of blood and severed bod parts in this one... "The Cabin in the Woods" mixes humor and gore well to put a fresh, if not twisted, take on the prototypical slasher movie.
  19. Jul 22, 2012
    ust saw Cabin in the Woods. Wow. What a movie. What can I say about Cabin in the Woods? Well not much really. This movie is so packed to the brim with things that can so easily be spoiled that I suggest you go see this movie RIGHT NOW! Avoid all the amazing reviews its been getting, avoid the trailers, avoid the TV spots and most of all AVOID ALL DISCUSSIONS WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN IT!!!!! I wont get into all the details on why this movie is brilliant but I will say that it is one of the most original and just bat **** crazy movies I have ever seen. Just go into this movie expecting an extremely fun horror/comedy and you will have an amazing time. CABIN IN THE WOODS FTW!!!!!!!!!!

I'm seeing a lot of people claiming Cabin in the Woods is the worst movie ever. First of all, that is a bold faced lie. It is no where near the worst movie ever. Secondly, I'm thinking people are going into this expecting this to be a straight up horror slasher movie in the vein of Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. DO NOT GO INTO THIS MOVIE THINKING THAT!!!!!! Like I said in my previous post, Go in to this movie expecting a really fun and just bat **** crazy movie. Actually, just go into it not knowing what to expect. Have an open mind and all shall be well.
  20. Jul 22, 2012
    I have to give the movie credit for having some unexpected twist but overall it is probably one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. Starts off interesting, then gets ridiculous, and continues to get more ridiculous as the film continues. Luckily I saw it at the $1.99 theater and still paid about $1.95 too much!!
  21. Jul 18, 2012
    "Cabin in the Woods" is like a Halley's Comet. You're only gonna see it once, and you're never gonna see anything like it again your whole life.
  22. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Cabin in the Woods is directed by Drew Goddard and this is his directorial debut. There Expand
  23. Jun 30, 2012
    VERY refreshing film. The characters have been done before, but so what? This film has every horror film creature known to man. I only wish this was a TV show instead of a film.
  24. Jun 28, 2012
    A film that's a hybrid of The Evil Dead and The Truman Show is novel to say the least. For the most part, the film is engaging, funny and scary, and is incredibly playful in its deconstruction of horror conventions, particularly those that were dominant in the 1970s and 80s. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford make a great comedy double act as a pair of senior technicians working for a company that simulates horror movie scenarios as part of a sinister grand plan. The group of young adults who take an ill-advised trip to an isolated cabin in the woods are all of a certain character archetype, a fact that becomes particularly relevant in the finale, but are all given a bit of a twist by writer/producer Joss Whedon ( the jock and his hot girlfriend played by Chris Hemsworth and Anna Hutchinson, for instance, actually have brains). Kristen Connolly's Dana is a decent and empathetic primary protagonist, but the real casting highlight is Fran Kranz, who completely steals the show as one of the great all-time movie stoners Marty, whose unique drug-addled world logic not only aids in its survival, but provides some of the film's best jokes. Drew Goddard has his name on the credits as the sole director, and in that role he appears skilled, but Joss Whedon's fingerprints are all over the film, and you have to wonder just how much Whedon allowed Goddard to do on set. Whedon's writing is funny and layered as usual, and the film as a whole has at least as much vigour and sense of fun as his earlier projects. Some astute genre revisionism and deconstruction and the sheer watchability of most of the film is nearly ruined in its final act. The last half hour is incredibly over-the-top and dumb, bordering on moronic, and threatens to de-value all the good that has come before. Here Whedon and Goddard look like they're abandoning their convictions for what their film should be, and pandering to modern blockbuster viewers and their incessant craving for elaborate action sequences and expensive special effects. The visuals in this portion of the film are terrific, but everything below the surface of the film becomes a little hard to make out at this point. The final revelation of the film is also incredibly disappointing, and a rare example of lazy writing by Whedon. If Whedon and Goddard had just stuck to their guns and produced a finale worthy of the intelligence, creativity and perfect pacing of the rest of the film, then The Cabin in the Woods might have been a classic of postmodern cinema. It's still good, don't get me wrong, and the vast majority of viewers, particularly avid horror nuts and Whedon fans will get a lot out of it, but Joss "The Boss" did stumble at the last hurdle trying to prove himself talented at all styles of filmmaking (like he needed to!) Expand
  25. Jun 13, 2012
    This is the most fun I have had watching a thriller/horror film in as long as I can remember. I don't like the genre of horror much. I think it's generally predicable, and forced. This film, however, took me for a trip. Watching stupid characters get killed is fun and all, but when the underlying plot of this film is exposed in its latter half it really grabbed a hold of my attention. I haven't seen anything like this before. It twists and turns all over the place, and left me in a gleeful state. Is it scary? No. Is it enjoyable? Decidedly yes! I want to watch it again in the near future with lots of popcorn and a girl to cuddle with. Expand
  26. Jun 10, 2012
    This is a very good comedy movie, even more so because I walked in expecting a horror flick. The two greatest accomplishments of this movie would have to be their transitions, which are absolutely amazing, and their spin on the idea of our cookie cutter horror movies. I have recommended it to multiple people as a comedy and they loved it, so I am going to recommend it to y'all.
  27. Jun 10, 2012
    Yes the final reveal/twist was cute, is it enough to make a bad movie work? No, you can ask Shyamalan he'd know. This movie spends so much time trying to be "meta" and clever that it completely forgets it's supposed to entertain its audience. There's just nothing going on for the entire first half hour! And then it takes another half hour to really get going, already wasting 1 hour for nothing. By the time the big reveal happens I didn't care, and why would I as the movie makes no effort at all to make the characters or the story interesting. No work no payoff, sorry. Expand
  28. Jun 8, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods WOW it was a great film the actors and actresses are great the writers the directors,producers and everyone who was involved , The film has a understanding story im not going to give it away for anyone who has not seen it. This gore filled film is amazing definitely recommend it to anyone it also made me laugh a few times it does have a comedy side to it too but this movie is amazing Expand
  29. Jun 8, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods will undoubtedly find its way into the hearts of horror fans everywhere. The plot follows five friends who decide to venture to the titular cabin. These characters fall into stereotypical categories: the bimbo (Hutchinson), the stoner (Kranz), the jock (Hemsworth), the smart guy (Williams) and the virgin (Connolly). Of course, these are not the only cliches exploited. Upon arriving at a seemingly abandoned gas station, the group manages to insult the creepy, Confederate flag-waving owner. Meanwhile the cabin itself is as foreboding as any, but nobody (save the pothead) really minds or even notices. When the basement trap door suddenly swings open, the group decides to see what might be down there. Etc, etc. Meanwhile, a team of scientists in an underground laboratory closely watches every move the characters make. To go on further might ruin some of the surprises that await. The Cabin in the Woods takes several twists and turns over the course of its ninety-plus minutes. The film provides a few scares, but excels mainly in delivering laughs while skewering conventions. Writers Goddard (who also directed) and Whedon know their way around the genre and exactly how to send it up. Credit must also go to their superb cast, who fit their characters perfectly and find plenty of grounds from which to mine humor. The cherry on top comes in the form of an intelligent and well-observed metaphor. All in all most horror fans should be pleased more than pleased with The Cabin in the Woods. Some may be thrown by the approach, particularly those who enjoy more straightforward fare. Audiences who stick through to the end will likely find themselves having a good time. Expand
  30. Jun 3, 2012
    Funny And Scary.. This Is In The Writing Style Of Zombieland..
    Amazing Movie!
    For Once A Horror Movie Didn't Feel Rushed!

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 16, 2012
    A horror-movie attic sale is, in essence, exactly what Cabin in the Woods is, an attempt to exorcise the genre of its formulaic possession by stuffing the movie full of its most overused and predictable elements - and then dumping them through clever skewering.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Apr 14, 2012
    Because the first narrative is so crushingly generic (which turns out to be the point), most of the amusement derives from trying to figure out what the second one is all about. I'm not sure I ever did, but the climactic one-two punch of special-effects chaos and meta-movie chin stroking should have the fanboys trembling with delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Apr 13, 2012
    I've seen a lot of rip-offs of "The Truman Show" and a lot of rip-offs of "Scream." I guess I have to give credit to The Cabin in the Woods for ripping off both at once.