6.5

1. Apr 22, 2015
    Labeling The Call as "relentlessly dumb" would be an overestimation of its intelligence. This is as brain-dead as a movie can be and it assumes the audience will have the I.Q. of a rutabaga. I suspected I might be in trouble when the opening credits proudly proclaim that The Call is a "WWE Production." Uh-oh. Granted, I wasn't expecting a high-caliber art film (although, once upon a time,Labeling The Call as "relentlessly dumb" would be an overestimation of its intelligence. This is as brain-dead as a movie can be and it assumes the audience will have the I.Q. of a rutabaga. I suspected I might be in trouble when the opening credits proudly proclaim that The Call is a "WWE Production." Uh-oh. Granted, I wasn't expecting a high-caliber art film (although, once upon a time, Brad Anderson was an indie director - The Machinist, anyone?) but the WWE isn't exactly known for gripping storylines and well-developed characters. The pedigree runs true.

Things don't start out too badly. In fact, they begin with a whiff of verisimilitude. I don't know what a 911 call center looks like but I can believe it's something similar to what's shown in The Call. We're introduced to operator Jordan Turner (Halle Berry), who appears to be one of the best at what she does. Things take a turn for the worse for Jordan, however, when a caller is kidnapped as a result of a mistake Jordan makes. After the initial call is disconnected while the victim is hiding from her stalker, Jordan foolishly hits the "dial back" button and the ringing of the phone alerts the intruder to the girl's location. After this incident, Jordan takes herself off the active roster and becomes a 911 instructor - until she's pressed back into emergency duty.

The Call goes off the rails as it approaches the climax. Once the call with Casey is terminated at a critical juncture, Jordan decides to take matters into her own hands. So, distrusting the police department's ability to get the job done, she goes on a one-woman hunt for the missing girl and, incredibly, finds her! Yes, she's a regular Ms. Sherlock Holmes. Then, upon discovering the psycho's lair, does she call for backup? No - she don't need no stinkin' backup! (The screenplay's lame attempt to provide logic for this decision is a laughably absurd.) Horror movie scream queens everywhere would welcome Jordan into their ranks. She commits all the classic idiot-blunders of those characters including the biggest one of all: turning her back on a supposed "downed" killer. Now, we all know that these guys always get up. Doesn't she watch Jason Michael Krueger movies?

I am willing to credit The Call for one thing. In the sea of mediocre movies represented by the first quarter of the year, this successfully calls attention to itself by being just plain bad.
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    Surprisingly well written, suspenseful, intelligent, ok acting… then the third act unbelievably contrived, ridiculous, 7-in-a-row of the dumbest decisions ever made, worthy of the intellect of a 5-year-old, from a supposedly intelligent character, in order to end with a half-decent epilogue that didn't particularly fit with the rest of the film.

Wouldn't be surprised if the third act

Wouldn't be surprised if the third act had a different author from the rest of a “half-decent” film.

Left me regretting the time spent watching the first ⅔rds.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    If this was not the end yet, I would say that it stands out from the average, but it's unfortunately only one of many, and did not start badly, but then the ending
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    How dare this movie have a 6.6 from the users and 50's from the critics. This piece of dog crud should be laughed about. The ending was stupid, the fact no one checked the cabin, she drops her phone, and doesn't finish him real good before he helps her. Too many retarded things happened.
  5. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has a good premise on how 911 operators work. The first act sets up nicely, the second act goes smoothly and the final act jumps the shark. Once you know the antagonist's motive it becomes ludicrous that it become an episode of Criminal Minds.

Brad Anderson is a good director, who did The Machinist and Transsiberian which were good thrillers; it's a shame he had to work with a script that doesn't know how to have a proper finale.

Halle Berry doesn't even call the cops and instead goes vigilante on us. Once you think she manages to rescue the girl, the captive sugget to have the guy tied to a chair and lock him inside the hidden cellar. Sudden it has turned into a Hostel wannabe. This final act and ending ruined what could of been a tense thriller instead it becomes a 90-minute disappointed that doesn't give you a feeling of satisfaction.
  6. Mar 18, 2013
    Worst acting by Hallie Berry I have ever seen. B rated movie not meant for big screen. OK plot is the only reason it got a 3 from me. With an ending that leaves your jaw dropped and you have to push it back into place because you just realized you got ripped off and want your money back. Worst ending that I can remember. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I'M NOT EVEN WASTING ANY MORE TIME ON THISWorst acting by Hallie Berry I have ever seen. B rated movie not meant for big screen. OK plot is the only reason it got a 3 from me. With an ending that leaves your jaw dropped and you have to push it back into place because you just realized you got ripped off and want your money back. Worst ending that I can remember. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I'M NOT EVEN WASTING ANY MORE TIME ON THIS MOVIE REVIEW. IF YOU WASTE YOUR MONEY AND SEE IT DONT SAY YOU WERNT WARNED. Expand
  7. Mar 18, 2013
    I feel like I wasted my time watching this movie since it was already unpopular. Halle Berry had a bad performance and scenes just go down in history forgettable. It wasn't total failure but it could have and should have been more than it was.

1. Reviewed by: Trevor Johnston
    Sep 18, 2013
    Yet just when the movie has us in its grasp, the script falls to pieces and turns into a crass female-in-peril button-pusher whose shameless psycho-killer clichés insult the intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Leah Churner
    Mar 20, 2013
    A pastiche of classic plot devices scrounged from "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three," "The Conversation," "Blue Velvet," and dozens of other movies, the story often feels familiar, but director Anderson (The Machinist) has a such a flair for suspense that even the most jaded viewers will find themselves in a sweat.
  3. Reviewed by: Chris Packham
    Mar 19, 2013
    The middle third of the film comprises the phone call, a tight 40 minutes.