8.6

1. JoelM.
    Sep 20, 2006
    This doc should be required in American schools. More valuable than most what's taught in Social Studies, The Century Of The Self explains not alone why the country is the way it is, but why you are the way you are.
  2. ArchieB.
    Aug 14, 2005
    An extraordinary film. An instant classic.
  3. EdwardC.
    Feb 7, 2006
    Shamefully unique in it's ability to show how our society became the way it is today. Adam Curtis deserves a tv channel of his own. If this isn't worth watching, then nothing is.
  4. NicholasM.
    Jan 8, 2007
    At about the age of 10 I began wondering why is the world like it is, in particular why are we bombarded with advertising and made to feel incomplete. At 24 I took an MBA, which included modules in marketing and psychology and some of the questions were answered. When Century of the Self aired the whole picture came into view and it has confirmed my opinion that you should lead your life At about the age of 10 I began wondering why is the world like it is, in particular why are we bombarded with advertising and made to feel incomplete. At 24 I took an MBA, which included modules in marketing and psychology and some of the questions were answered. When Century of the Self aired the whole picture came into view and it has confirmed my opinion that you should lead your life the way you want. Reports that appear on television about High Street sales figures in the lead up to Christmas or the New Year, reports about the Property Market etc all fit into the picture Curtis paints - they are propaganda designed to modify your behaviour. If its Freud's Theories that have been used to drive the society we now have, will they be seen in years to come as theories that played a significant role in causing Global Warming? Expand
  5. DouglasS.
    Aug 13, 2005
    Unbelievably informative and satisfying, all 4 hours of it.
  6. AnthonyC.
    Aug 14, 2005
    To my knowledge the finest documentary yet made on they way in which psychology was use by business and goverments to manipulate people. Absolutely essential viewing.
  7. BrianC.
    Sep 9, 2005
    Living life without knowing the information exposed in this film would be tragic.
  8. ThanasisI
    Jun 25, 2007
    The most interesting film i have seen the last years. Independent in opinion, illustrates the things as it is. No more brainwashing, animals wake up.
  9. Jan 26, 2015
    If anything is worth watching, this is it. A blunt look at the selfish consumerism of the masses, and how pathetically and easily fooled humans really are. 10/10 but very depressing.
  10. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unbelievable recount of how psychoanalysis was both the spark of a new era of individualism, and its foreshadowing downfall into consumerism's wet dream of comprehensive market research.

This film is the answer to how the 60's died.

1. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Consistently engaging due to the wealth of generally unfamiliar archival footage, which reveals social trends, sweeping overview should provoke healthy debate.
    An engrossing quartet of hour-long films by British documentarian Adam Curtis, doesn't so much challenge Freud's theories of the unconscious as shadow them through the corridors of corporate and political power. What emerges is nothing less than a history of 20th-century social control.
  3. An unusually cerebral filmed essay that demands focus and patience from its audience as it sets about the task of unearthing a secret history of the 20th century. Adam Curtis, the film's director and writer, saves the proceedings from being overly dry with his visual wit and deft touch with archival materials.