The Conjuring

8.2

1. Jul 20, 2013
    My girlfriend loves horror movies and has dragged me to a lot of stinkers, but this movie was not one of them. Possibly the best horror movie I have seen to date! Here are the top reasons why I enjoyed this movie so much

1. crapped my pants 2. surprised my girlfriend didn't leave hand prints because she was gripping my arm so tightly 3. the "brave" guys beside me made lame jokes to

1. crapped my pants
    3. the "brave" guys beside me made lame jokes to lighten the mood (I assume they didn't like being so scared)
    4. the plot was very good for a horror movie and did I mention I crapped my pants?

if you like horror go see this movie! wear a diaper...
  2. Sep 2, 2013
    People in my cinema were laughing just to feel comfortable, this movie will scare you for good, probably one of the best horror movies in the last decade, a must watch for every horror fan out there.
  3. Nov 2, 2013
    For the first time in a long time The Conjuring gives horror movies a chance to be good again. Everything from the score, to the cinematography, to a well though out story came together brilliantly to provide for a truly horrifying film.
  4. Jan 5, 2014
    Estamos ante, lo que parece, la mejor película de terror del año. En verdad, en mucho tiempo yo no veía una película de terror de esta magnitud, sustos bien logrados por todas partes, escenas perturbadoras, un verdadero argumento basado en hechos reales, y lo más importante, sin caer en lo absurdo. La verdad esta y otras películas como la saga de "Saw", "Insidious", la película "DeadEstamos ante, lo que parece, la mejor película de terror del año. En verdad, en mucho tiempo yo no veía una película de terror de esta magnitud, sustos bien logrados por todas partes, escenas perturbadoras, un verdadero argumento basado en hechos reales, y lo más importante, sin caer en lo absurdo. La verdad esta y otras películas como la saga de "Saw", "Insidious", la película "Dead Silence" y muchas más por venir, convierten a James Wan en uno de los pioneros del horror moderno entre Rob Zombie y Sam Raimi. Lástima que se este interesando en otro tipo de películas (Fast & Furious 7), pero ya esperaremos a otra más de sus brillantes películas de terror. Me inclino hacia este proyecto; un sólido 8. Expand
  5. Dec 13, 2013
    The Conjuring thrills with its countless scares and tense atmosphere. Solid acting and great cinematography only excels this as a thoroughly enjoyable (and old-school) horror flick.
  6. May 26, 2014
    Why did people like this, how? This movie was cliche after cliche, everything in this movie was ripped from other (better) movies, and everything major that happened was so easy to see coming that it was PAINFUL.
  7. Jul 20, 2013
    I don't have to write a long review on this. I can sum it up in a few words: the most terrifying film I've ever seen since the Exorcist (1973). I love horror movies, been watching them by myself since I was 4 and I have to say, do not see this alone like I did. The acting is good, the special effects (when necessary) were good, the storyline was fantastic, & the movie came together well.
  8. Sep 10, 2013
    I haven't liked a horror movie in a long time and I'm pleased to say that that period is over. The scares were calculated and chilling. The mood was consistent and did not let up. The acting was OK. It felt like I was watching a historical movie. It was cleverly shot. But I have a problem with the ending. It could have been more pessimistic. But given that the director wanted to makeI haven't liked a horror movie in a long time and I'm pleased to say that that period is over. The scares were calculated and chilling. The mood was consistent and did not let up. The acting was OK. It felt like I was watching a historical movie. It was cleverly shot. But I have a problem with the ending. It could have been more pessimistic. But given that the director wanted to make something more than just a horror flick, that is understandable. Do not miss this. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2013
    Finally a horror movie that's actually decent! No, it's not anywhere near perfect. There are still some lines and scenes that are laughable at best. But there are some other ones that actually manage to creep you out. I wouldn't call the movie terrifying, but a couple of the characters actually have some personality and depth to them, and the direction is also pretty competent most ofFinally a horror movie that's actually decent! No, it's not anywhere near perfect. There are still some lines and scenes that are laughable at best. But there are some other ones that actually manage to creep you out. I wouldn't call the movie terrifying, but a couple of the characters actually have some personality and depth to them, and the direction is also pretty competent most of the time. This helped me to become mildly, but not drastically, engaged with the story. It really isn't original at all, but you can tell that some thought went into its creation, and that gives it a noticeable advantage on its genre peers. I still wouldn't expect anything come Oscar season though. It's efficiently entertaining, but it's nothing masterful. Expand
  10. Oct 14, 2013
    el conjuro, Expediente Warren y entre otros nombres es lo que revoluciona el terror hacia algo mejor, esta pelicula esta bien realizada con unos 20 millones bien aprovechados y con un toque de tipico y unico terror
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the rare films I found truly scary and truly captivating. Well worth the watch for horror lovers. Not sure why reviews have to be fifty characters long...
  12. Aug 28, 2013
    The conjuring has a positive opening catching attention of the viewers. The Sound mixing and Sound track is amazing although it is a bit exaggerated. Overall the movie is good and gives viewers a good scare.
  13. Sep 22, 2013
    Before Christianity and Latin existed how did exorcists exorcise? A lingering question after watching The Conjuring, a film by James Wan.

The age of Scary Movie-esque franchises has turned seeing dead people and being haunted by and evil spirits into mundanely comic events. Sexy vampires, farcical zombies, and ridiculous inside jokes about the world’s end begone! The Conjuring is a big horror film that is actually good and scary. Finally!

Still, Director Wan uses all the old horror tricks to build up the suspense: creeping suggestive crescendos in the score, brief uncertain glimpses of unknown beings, and of course, lots of loud and unexpected jolts.

The film opens as the Perron family arrives at their new home, a large fixer-upper in the Rhode Island countryside. As the family starts their life in the new house the haunting becomes apparent. Clocks stop, doors slam, people scream. Terror drives the family to huddle up in the living room where they spend their nights sleeping together. It makes the spirits calmer, they say.

A little too conveniently, famous demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren just so happen to be speaking nearby. Mrs. Perron persuades the Warrens to come inspect the house. Lorrain Warren, a kind of clairvoyant, senses real trouble in the Perron house immediately. Using cameras, Holy magic, and Latin scriptures, the fight begins to save not only the house from destruction, but the people inside it as well.
  14. Aug 31, 2013
    If you despise dolls but love horror films, watch this one.
    A lot of the time I wasn't on the edge of my seat, but sometimes it just gets you.
    Fairly good in terms of most horrors, falls a bit short on occasion and the constant jump scares is a bit repetitive, but a good watch
    I recommend
  15. Sep 15, 2013
    The Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intense to sit back. The only other option was to curl up in my seat while being bombarded with a fantastic story and scare tactics beyond the averageThe Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intense to sit back. The only other option was to curl up in my seat while being bombarded with a fantastic story and scare tactics beyond the average possession tale. It's too unique of a horror movie to miss. Expand
  16. Oct 18, 2013
    Its true that The Conjuring plays on the same tried story of the haunted house, but it, unlike its predecessors plays it right. The films director, Wan, manages to take an overly developed storyline and streamline it into a frightfully believable tale that is shot in a way that removes the predicable scare tactics that plague the horror genre and replace it with well thought schemes andIts true that The Conjuring plays on the same tried story of the haunted house, but it, unlike its predecessors plays it right. The films director, Wan, manages to take an overly developed storyline and streamline it into a frightfully believable tale that is shot in a way that removes the predicable scare tactics that plague the horror genre and replace it with well thought schemes and unpredictably eerie scenarios. A film worth watching, even for those averse to the genre. Expand
  17. Nov 5, 2013
    I'm an avid horror fan. Lately I've been thinking there isn't much that can scare me (though Sinister got under my skin). I appreciate James Wan's films, I love the first Saw, Insidious was a damn good modern ghost story, but like all reviews have stated for it, the movie kinda loses it's momentum in the final act.

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's one of the best horror movies of the last 5 or 10 years. It goes back to the classic rule of horror film making, never show the bad guy fully to your audience. Plus this movie knows suspense, I tell you, I almost threw a water bottle at the screen from sheer terror once the scare finally happened. There are no fake jump scares, the movie earned an R rating without any blood, sex, or profanity, it's all from the terror that this movie builds upon.

Not only is the movie scary, but as a film itself, it's almost a masterpiece. The script, acting, direction, style, tone, etc were all simply top notch. Wan's camera-work here is by far his best out of any of his movies. The choice to set the movie in the 70s was a stroke of genius as it feels so authentic and all the more real. If this story were set in the present, it simply wouldn't be as a effective or scary. The 70s style film making, costuming, and hair styling are a great throwback to likes of The Exorcist & The Amityville Horror.

Though there are a few (extremely minor) flaws, such are length, repetitiveness, and a resolution that happens way too fast. I don't care, every horror movie (or movie in general) has it's flaws. There will never be a perfect horror movie, if there is one, I haven't seen it yet. But all I know is James Wan's The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time, and it's been a really long time that a movie has scared me this badly.

10/10 Don't miss this one, it's an amazing theater viewing experience.
  18. Nov 7, 2013
    This movie is definitely one of the best horror movies I have seen so far. I was a bit skeptical at first of this movie, but once it started, I could not keep my eyes off the screen. It was definitely a better movie to see than "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls". I can't wait for James Wan's next installment in the Warren paranormal investigators saga.
  19. Feb 14, 2014
    This movie is my best horror movie. The story is based on true events wich makes the movie even more scary especially if it's well played. It has a lot of moments where you think there will be jump scare but in the end it's nothing and thats what makes it so scary, there are a few jump scares yes but not always. Just in the right moments.
  20. Apr 28, 2014
    The same old generic story of a family moving into a house that is apparently haunted by a demon wasn't anything new. But it was pretty effective in scares. I was surprisingly satisfied with this film. The characters were fairly developed and the acting was great especially the kids. This movie offered scares and unsettling. I definitely recommend this film for those looking for horrifying thrill.
  21. Jul 6, 2014
    When it comes to the horror genre and even the drama genre for that matter, "The Conjuring" gets a lot right. Physically, this film is shot so beautifully with constantly changing angles and dramatic zooms in and out of frame. The set design and costumes were also integral to the look and chilling atmosphere of the film.
    This is probably the most thrilling, beautifully shot, and most
    This is probably the most thrilling, beautifully shot, and most traumatizing horror films in recent memory.
  22. Sep 2, 2014
    "The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet it flows very well. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are great together as the Warrens. Really, the entire cast was great. This is a great movie to"The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet it flows very well. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are great together as the Warrens. Really, the entire cast was great. This is a great movie to watch and get scared with your friends. I highly recommend it. Expand
  23. Jun 10, 2016
    Very spooky movie.Good actor's game,atmosphere of terror everywher.Very nice film.this movie really scare you to crap his pants.I don't know what else to write just see this movie.
  24. IGa
    Jul 26, 2016
    This movie is awesome! Simple and well done. The camera work is impressive and the dialogue gives us the necessary familiarity with the characters. The tension scenes are very authentic even in the old-school scares. About the story, even if it has already worked in other films, it's well presented in many different ways. You'll like and will jump from your chair.
  25. Jul 20, 2013
    "The Conjuring" with its based on a real story premise, attempts to revive the often over-saturated demonic horror genre market and inspire new frights. The film establishes its tale in a very classical horror formula, slow, tantalizing build up with loud (sometimes annoying) string music that teases one's nerves as the audience watch a family being terrorized by demonic presence(s). The"The Conjuring" with its based on a real story premise, attempts to revive the often over-saturated demonic horror genre market and inspire new frights. The film establishes its tale in a very classical horror formula, slow, tantalizing build up with loud (sometimes annoying) string music that teases one's nerves as the audience watch a family being terrorized by demonic presence(s). The story is also decidedly classic and certainly has been done before but rather than wasting time on the 'what' (ie: what is haunting them), the film does a good job where the majority of the story-line is focused on the 'how' (how to solve the problem). It is here where the slow/sluggish build up gives way to a torrent of thrills. Although most of the cinematic shots were impressive and the overall production design and atmosphere does its job splendidly, the film did not generate the frights that I was expecting. Too often, the frights came in the standard horror formula where people are already expecting something to appear. I also watched the film in a full theatre with my fellow cinema-goers ooing and ahhing at every corner which totally dis-immersed my experience and definitely altered my experience for the worse. This is definitely one film where I would advise dodging the crowded opening weekend and instead watching it with a group of friends in a empty theater for a far more immerse experience.

Otherwise, expect a formula-driven fright film enveloped in classic horror sequence of the past.
  26. Jul 21, 2013
    What a great film. I'm giving it a 10 because of what it accomplishes. It is a straight-up old school haunted house flick, pulling no new tricks. And the plot is a very simple uphill ramp of gradually building suspense until all heck breaks loose. Yet it does everything well and somehow pulls it off, and manages to feel fresh and compelling. What a surprise!

It's simply an honest

It's simply an honest attempt at telling a scary story within conventional and very familiar bounds. It does so wonderfully, beautifully, and quite artfully. What's not to like? The acting is superb, and each scene is thoughtfully prepared and executed expertly. Good acting, good directing, good scripting, good cinematography, good score.

Horror movies rarely get better than this.
  27. Jul 23, 2013
    For a movie with no body count, it was genuinely creepy. Best possession film since the Exorcist. Still deserved its R rating, good pacing and good progression. Only real problem is it felt like a Christian horror movie at times. But not to an extent where it was un watchable.
  28. Jul 19, 2013
    "The Conjuring" is an enjoyable, spine-chilling paranormal saga directed by James Wan ("Saw", "Insidious"), and it has already been given the green light by New Line Cinema for a sequel before the first installment has even hit theaters on July 19. A welcome throwback to classic 1970s chillers, with spectacular production design work, a well-constructed script, impressive atmospheric set"The Conjuring" is an enjoyable, spine-chilling paranormal saga directed by James Wan ("Saw", "Insidious"), and it has already been given the green light by New Line Cinema for a sequel before the first installment has even hit theaters on July 19. A welcome throwback to classic 1970s chillers, with spectacular production design work, a well-constructed script, impressive atmospheric set pieces, and rounded out with terrific performances from Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga. The film primarily utilizes the old bag of tricks for scares very effectively, creating a terrifying atmosphere of bloodless scaremongering.

Set in the 1970s, "The Conjuring" tells the story of husband-and-wife demonologists Ed Warren (Patrick Wilson), and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga), who are best known for their case involving the Amityville Horror, and are now investigating the secluded Harrisville, Rhode Island home of Carolyn and Roger Perron (Lili Taylor and Ron Livingston.) The family has recently moved into the house with their five daughters (Shanley Caswell, Hayley McFarland, Joey King, Mackenzie Foy and Kyla Deaver), and have begun experiencing a series of unexplained occurrences. Lorraine immediately detects that something isn't right in the house, and the pair conclude that the Perron's home is possessed by multiple demons, with their initial investigation revealing that the trouble may have begun as far back as the Salem Witch trials. Meanwhile, the Warren's presence enrages whatever is within the house, and the supernatural activity escalates to terrifying levels.

James Wan and his group of frequent collaborators are clearly well in sync for "The Conjuring." The film nods its head to everything from "The Exorcist" (1973) to "The Amityville Horror" (1979), while developing an atmosphere of trepidation, with well-timed scares that will keep viewers on the edge. All the ingredients of a standard paranormal story are present: a haunted and secluded house, a peaceful family being terrorized, strange noises in the night and its all-familiar territory. However, the film is so finely tuned, it comes across as a respectable homage to the genre. It's reassuring to see a genre film that contains a compelling story and has interesting characters, rather than serving up a number of teenagers ready to be tortured.

"The Conjuring" is primarily intended as a haunted-house attraction, a ride through a hall of nerve-racking horrors. Wan's direction is perfectly paced, pulling off some properly scary set pieces (a game of 'hide and clap'; some business involving a mirror and a music box), and slowly ratcheting up the tension. The frightening escalation of events gives a permanent tension in a feature film that is certainly predictable, but smoothly conducted to satisfaction.
  29. Jul 19, 2013
    Like the old-school horror flicks that inspired it, The Conjuring is more of an exercise in palpable tension and mounting dread than outright terror. It is a slow, quiet movie that definitely earns every scare it throws at you. Those suffering heart conditions might want to avoid this one.
  30. Jul 27, 2013
    It's a classic. From start to finish, this was true beautiful filmmaking. Two months ago I saw a tv spot of this and I thought this could be really good. I was beyond right. This movie is the Inception of horror movies. It was wonderfully put together and everything seemed to just simply work. You're right in there. Many a movies just present a visual that's symbolic through the writing,It's a classic. From start to finish, this was true beautiful filmmaking. Two months ago I saw a tv spot of this and I thought this could be really good. I was beyond right. This movie is the Inception of horror movies. It was wonderfully put together and everything seemed to just simply work. You're right in there. Many a movies just present a visual that's symbolic through the writing, directing and acting for it's lack of care or passion or vision and just presenting an obviously gimmick picture that's only trying to make cash to give the producers a bigger ego. Now the rare films that actually have passion, care and a vision aren't entirely made to sell tickets. More of, to entertain and satisfy audiences to make the producers feel good to give them a raw feeling, other than the fake feeling of ego boosts, which is utter joy for their inspiring love for film. That's what The Conjuring is all about. It has all the passion, all the care, and all the vision to truly become a great piece of work. It draws you in, and presents a very classic and truly inspiring horror vision that easily got me going with the main titles, which is a small thing but in film the small things are the most important things and become big things in delivering a full, complete impact of a visual. From there on forward, we get phenomenal writing and acting and directing that I would say should be Oscar-worthy. Characters that are relatable and likeable and face empathetic conflicts. It draws you in and makes you believe wants happening on the screen is legit actually happening in front of you. I felt it was real.

The directing of this film was passionate, the writing was unnerving, and the acting was high-caliber and every element aspect of filmmaking fed off each other to make an enthralling harmony of film magic. I wish every film had this. I mean I want to give this a 10/10, I'm not overly-critical, but giving this a 10 would mean comparing it to Citizen Kane or The Godfather. However this is so damn good, I'm giving it a deserving 9/10. In dire specifics, it'd be a 9.2 which is real high. But this is a horror masterpiece.

It ends brilliantly. People misinterpret and misunderstand the fact that horror movies don't necessarily have to contain depressing themes. Isn't that kinda what film-noir is? But this stinger believes in delivering a movie, with a horror genre, with an original theme. I mean there's emotion in this. There's a flashback sequence towards the climax that brings a forgotten light in the visual that sustained darkness for the primary portion of the final act that gave me hope, care, and true feeling for these characters, and ultimately belief and inspiration for horror movies and in movies once again. I love it when movies have that and do that, and whenever they do, I'm inspired and obsessed. In this case, possessed.

The movie felt so genuine, so real, and so authentic that (since it's based on a true story) when they showed the actual people who experienced this, I was truly haunted than I already was. They had to put the stinger in there to make it even more real than it was. Oh, man I couldn't sleep.

This is a true horror movie and as a summer movie, it's the most inspiring and well put together since Inception. I mean it. The ending was a signature of pure artistry. Like Inception. I don't care if you hate horror movies and/or the stereotype has brainwashed your opinion, GO SEE THIS NOW!!!!!

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 3, 2013
    Wan’s film is a sturdily built supernatural chiller, with next-to-no digital effects or gore, and it delivers its scares with a breezy lack of urgency.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Jul 25, 2013
    I'd be shocked if we see a better horror film in 2013.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Jul 19, 2013
    The Conjuring is as toothless as it is because it's two different kinds of boring. The film's plot is explained exhaustively whenever loud noises aren't blaring, and random objects aren't teasingly leaping out at you from the corner of your eye.