New Line Cinema | Release Date: July 19, 2013
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 945 Ratings
WATCH NOW
DenathornDec 22, 2016
This is horror at its finest! Scary, lovable, and all around thrilling. The acting was spot-on, the scares were well played, and I'll admit, there were a few times that I jumped out of my seat! That's a good sign!
hkdestinyAug 26, 2016
This is an amazing movie as it exceeds above all expectations giving the audience a fun thrill ride. It is definitely a must see for everyone as the performances are well off the chart! Exceptional acting and great directing making thisThis is an amazing movie as it exceeds above all expectations giving the audience a fun thrill ride. It is definitely a must see for everyone as the performances are well off the chart! Exceptional acting and great directing making this horror a classic! Expand
shiftworkerAug 22, 2016
Quite old-fashioned haunting movie, complete with a couple of professional ghost-hunters and a creepy old house with a dark past. Nostalgic, and effective with a few make-you-jump moments if you're open tor that sort of thing. I come withQuite old-fashioned haunting movie, complete with a couple of professional ghost-hunters and a creepy old house with a dark past. Nostalgic, and effective with a few make-you-jump moments if you're open tor that sort of thing. I come with springs so had a great time. Expand
reviewfrom19842Aug 10, 2016
This movie started out okay might be 6/10 but when it's gets to the 3 act it becomes a lot better great movie.........................................
kerrflannAug 3, 2016
the conjuring is by far the best horror movie out would highly recommend to any horror film fan. amazing with a few absolutely terrifying moments love it
IGaJul 26, 2016
This movie is awesome! Simple and well done. The camera work is impressive and the dialogue gives us the necessary familiarity with the characters. The tension scenes are very authentic even in the old-school scares. About the story, even ifThis movie is awesome! Simple and well done. The camera work is impressive and the dialogue gives us the necessary familiarity with the characters. The tension scenes are very authentic even in the old-school scares. About the story, even if it has already worked in other films, it's well presented in many different ways. You'll like and will jump from your chair. Expand
GoreministerJul 19, 2016
Pretty "okaaay" House-Horror flick. Seen this kind of stuff tons of times before, but pretty good executed by James Wan. I´d love to see more hauting moments and the finale isn´t that satisfiying. Good for a DVD evening, nothing more.
RickyReviewsJun 22, 2016
I was shocked at how this film played out. It was just so boring compared to other horror films I have seen. The Others and the Haunting in Connecticut were just so much better than this. I haven't seen the second film yet, so I won't judgeI was shocked at how this film played out. It was just so boring compared to other horror films I have seen. The Others and the Haunting in Connecticut were just so much better than this. I haven't seen the second film yet, so I won't judge the sequel. The film wasn't scary or have suspense. 3/10 Expand
marcmyworksJun 20, 2016
The Conjuring was not a film I was anxious to see as it seemed to be the result of a surplus of ghost based horror films. However it is beautifully shot and worth a watch, though perhaps just a tad too stylized.
RainbowDenixJun 10, 2016
Very spooky movie.Good actor's game,atmosphere of terror everywher.Very nice film.this movie really scare you to crap his pants.I don't know what else to write just see this movie.
CineAutoctonoApr 28, 2016
"The Conjuring " was one of the scariest movies I've seen in my life , which did not achieve all horror movies scare me, this has scared me totally, and now it's one of my favorites of the genre.
MovieMasterEddyApr 4, 2016
The dread gathers and surges while the blood scarcely trickles in “The Conjuring,” a fantastically effective haunted-house movie. Set largely in 1971, it purports to tell a story based on “true case files” about a family of seven whoseThe dread gathers and surges while the blood scarcely trickles in “The Conjuring,” a fantastically effective haunted-house movie. Set largely in 1971, it purports to tell a story based on “true case files” about a family of seven whose pastoral dream became a nightmare soon after they moved into a Rhode Island farmhouse. One day, Mom, Dad and the girls are settling into their conveniently sprawling, creaking, squeaking two-story house — the rooms quickly become a disorienting maze — and the next, they’re playing hide and creep with a mysterious, increasingly malevolent force.

The director James Wan plays much the same game with you. Written by the brothers Chad Hayes and Carey W. Hayes, the movie opens with a jittery, funny prologue involving a couple of pretty nurses right out of a Roger Corman quickie, a devil doll named Annabelle (shades of Rod Serling and Chucky) and a pair of married paranormal experts, Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga). The Warrens quickly take care of business, and Mr. Wan does the same. With shock cuts, gliding camera movements, muted colors that evoke David Fincher’s “Zodiac” and tricks learned from “The Twilight Zone,” Mr. Wan — whose first sly shot is of a cracked, smiling face — sets a relentlessly uneasy tone that imperceptively shifts between intense seriousness and lightly mocking.

The real Ed and Lorraine Warren, lifelong investigators of the paranormal — their Web site calls him a demonologist and her a trance medium — established the grandly named New England Society for Psychic Research in 1952 but are most famous for their exploits in another house, in Amityville, on Long Island. (Mr. Warren died in 2006; Ms. Warren was a consultant on “The Conjuring.”) The Warrens declared that Dutch Colonial demonic, a diagnosis that led to more than a dozen “Amityville” movies and stoked the market for haunted-house tales. What happened when the Warrens entered the Rhode Island home in “The Conjuring” hasn’t received the same attention, although one of the daughters, Andrea Perron, has published a memoir.

The movie takes off with Carolyn (an excellent Lili Taylor) and Roger (Ron Livingston, very good), moving their family into their new home. He’s a truck driver, while she runs the house and five girls ranging from preschool age to high school. They’re appealingly real, with an easy intimacy that’s strikingly different from the canned version briefly seen in a clip from “The Brady Bunch.” The only perceptible crack in the facade is that they’re struggling financially, a fissure suggested by Carolyn’s quietly tense demeanor, Roger’s knotted forehead and the house’s smudged, unpainted walls. Once they move in, they can’t move out, a bad situation that speaks as much to today as to the story’s inflation-plagued period. Things are rocky even before they go bump in the night.

When Mr. Wan lingers on Carolyn’s crumbling smile it’s obvious that it isn’t only the Perron house that’s troubled. It’s been estimated that 75 percent of Americans believe in the paranormal, while only 54 percent believe global warming has begun. Evidently it’s easier to believe in the terrors that can’t hurt us than to believe in those that can, which may partly account for why so many vampires, zombies and their paranormal ilk are running amok in the popular imagination. Each era brings its own allegorical terrors, and in the 1970s, a golden age of horror cinema, the aftershocks of the 1960s found expression in stories about diabolically terrifying spawn who, with their swiveling heads and annihilating violence, were grotesque embodiments of a generational anxiety.

“The Conjuring” isn’t just primarily set in the 1970s, it also taps into the paranoia that is both an evergreen American trait and a crucial characteristic of films of that era, horror and otherwise. With amusing self-awareness, Mr. Wan (his earlier movies include “Saw” and “Insidious”) leans on the usual genre tricks throughout, making you jump with hard edits and doors being squeaked open by unseen hands. But he also makes intelligent use of narrative delay and ellipses that help build suspense and suspicion. The script generally doesn’t overexplain, and neither does he. When things start going wrong at the Perrons’ — a bird crashes into the house, bruises bloom on Carolyn’s body — the family knows something’s amiss but can’t read the signs. The deeply religious Warrens (Lorraine wraps rosary beads around one hand) think that they can, and do.
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
A month before its release, James Wan’s supernatural thriller took its North American bow at the Los Angeles Film Festival.

So-called Splat Pack filmmaker James Wan (Saw, Insidious) opts for old-school restraint over gore in The Conjuring, an involving and effective throwback to ’70s supernatural horror-thrillers. On the basis of through-the-roof reactions at test screenings, Warners and New Line moved the film’s release from January to the summer tentpole season, a decision that should pay off with sizzling summer receipts from young adults. But the handsomely shot, expertly button-pushing scare-fest, which opens on July 19 in North America with worldwide dates lined up through the season, has the polish and the cast to draw older audiences who grew up on shockers built from performances rather than CGI.

Wan says he set out to make a “classic studio horror film,” and at that, he’s more than succeeded. With its minimal use of digital effects, its strong, sympathetic performances and ace design work, the pic harks back in themes and methods to The Exorcist and The Amityville Horror, not quite attaining the poignancy and depth of the former but far exceeding the latter in sheer cinematic beauty.

The film doesn’t leave a deep, lasting chill, but it excels at putting a refining gloss on cheap shocks. Until a climactic sequence that pulls out all the stops, the director’s modulation teases out plenty of don’t-go-there moments, both formulaic and innovative, for all they’re worth.

Based on a documented case from the files of demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren -- known for their investigative work for the Lutz family in Amityville, New York -- the story opens as most haunted-house tales do: with a bright and chipper family moving into a huge old domicile, in this case a farmhouse in Harrisville, Rhode Island. But before the main action begins, screenwriters Chad Hayes and Carey W. Hayes (The Reaping, Whiteout) provide a glimpse of an especially creepy past case of the Warrens’ involving that scariest of horror totems, a doll. Wan uses the cold opening to ratchet up the tension before the audience has a chance to get comfortable, and he weaves the doll into the central plot to excellent effect.

Until bringing together the paranormal investigators and the terrorized family, the film alternates between the Connecticut-based Warrens (the exceptionally well-cast Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson) and the newly relocated Perrons: Carolyn and Roger (Lili Taylor and Ron Livingston) and their five daughters. The specifics remain undisclosed for much of the film, but it’s evident that the Warrens are recovering from an especially traumatic investigation. At the same time, the Perrons discover that their spacious home has plenty of hidden chambers and boarded-up corridors, and find themselves contending with awful odors, disturbing sounds and shocking visitations in the thick of night.

Wan’s decision to make the apparitions visible to only some of the characters at first, and not necessarily to the audience, is an ingeniously effective way to feed the mounting dread. In heart-stopping fashion, the demonic spirits that plague the farmhouse insinuate themselves into the Perrons’ daily life, most frighteningly in the family game of hide-and-clap, complete with blindfolds. Director of photography John R. Leonetti’s nimble camera follows the girls and their parents through the huge rooms, ever alert to danger, while editor Kirk Morri’s precise cuts deftly quicken the pulse.

Still, the Hayes brothers’ screenplay doesn’t truly develop the Perron family as anything more than innocent victims. It pays more subtle and complex attention to character development in the Warrens, whose gently take-charge, DIY investigation, with its crucifixes and Super-8 movie cameras, is a comfort to the Perrons and the audience alike.

As the clairvoyant Lorraine, Farmiga resonates an extraordinary sensitivity, conveying wordlessly that Lorraine knows the Perrons’ home is haunted the instant she walks through the front door. Upright, devout and compassionate, Farmiga’s Lorraine is a compelling and believable younger version of the octogenarian Lorraine seen in the recent documentary My Amityville Horror. Wilson, reteaming with Wan after Insidious, is compelling as a down-to-earth straight arrow who has seen the dark side.

The nature of the haunting is gradually revealed until, about halfway in, Lorraine delivers the goods in a breathless block of info that’s semi-comical in its thoroughness -- a fact that the filmmakers seem to acknowledge. “Well,” Ed says in response to her research findings, “that explains a few things.” The mechanics of the storytelling are what matters here, and potentially intriguing themes -- key among them the Warrens’ faith and fearlessness -- are touched upon rather than satisfyingly explored.

Taut and effective edge-of-the-seat horror, delivered with style and an especially haunting performance by Vera Farmiga.
calebowensmallJan 23, 2016
More like 9.5. This was a great film! Anyone who didn't like this movie, you have BAD taste. It was scary, amazingly acted, was directed like perfection, and I can't WAIT for the sequel! Was it 10 worthy, almost. Watch it, and get ready to be scared!
PanchogulJan 9, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ésta película, aparte de haber tenido publicidad hasta en la sopa, es sobrevalorada y supuestamente considerada como si en verdad diera miedo por personas que se nota, jamás han visto una pelicula de este género, para ver un refrito tan mierdero como este, prefiero ver algo más original y con mejores actuaciones como Amityville (1979) Expand
smiyamotJan 3, 2016
Great scary film! Great premise, we follow "Ghostbusters" who debunk false cases and solve real ones. With that in mind, we follow them as they are on the case. They use the all the electronic gizmo's we see on other ghost films as well asGreat scary film! Great premise, we follow "Ghostbusters" who debunk false cases and solve real ones. With that in mind, we follow them as they are on the case. They use the all the electronic gizmo's we see on other ghost films as well as Lorraine being a real physic. Keep you on the edge of your seat throughout. Expand
UrbanlistenerNov 23, 2015
Simply a really well-made good old fashioned haunted house ride with genuinely terrifying moments, great acting, great cinematography and a consistent and cohesive story. No cheap jumpsacres, only earned ones with tension and suspense and noSimply a really well-made good old fashioned haunted house ride with genuinely terrifying moments, great acting, great cinematography and a consistent and cohesive story. No cheap jumpsacres, only earned ones with tension and suspense and no CGI. Just a really good horror film. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 28, 2015
Despite its scary moments, "The Conjuring" is a generic summer scare pot we've all seen from James Wan and his typical scare-the-audience formula. lol.
TrilobiteGJul 26, 2015
When it's not trying to shove religion down your throat, the conjuring is actually a decent horror movie with a vibe that flicks back and forth between drama and horror, unfortunately, it doesn't always work and the conjuring is slightlyWhen it's not trying to shove religion down your throat, the conjuring is actually a decent horror movie with a vibe that flicks back and forth between drama and horror, unfortunately, it doesn't always work and the conjuring is slightly messy. A slight overshadow of brilliant horror effects makes this film watch-able and pretty damn enjoyable (watch this film with your friends!) Expand
GuillermoBMJul 12, 2015
Summary: The Conjuring is a memorable, well acted and genuinely frightening horror film. 90/100 [A-]

The Conjuring is a horror film directed by James Wan and it was my most anticipated horror movie of 2013. Moving on, the opening scene is spooky, since here you can behold the stunning camera work; this little scene is about a possessed doll called Annabelle. This scene keeps the suspense and the scariness. There are two stories in the movie; the first one is about Lorraine and Ed Warren, they are two paranormal investigators, both have a little daughter and they live in a nice house. Then, there's the other story about a likable family who has experienced some paranormal events in their new home. It doesn't matter how cliche it sounds, this is a terrific horror film.

After the first 30 minutes or so, there are the first scares, all of them are very effective, unexpected and well executed. Even though I didn't jump out of my seat (maybe because jump-scares are not effective in me and some of the scares were in the trailer) I have to admit that the film freaked me out so much, it boasts some extremely violent sequences and it was so damn thrilling at several moments. A few scares were pretty familiar and it's true that it doesn't offer something new to the horror genre, but it has enough creativity and originality to succeed. In addition, it is very similar in tone to 'The Woman in Black', both have a well handled suspense and an atmospheric setting.

The performances were great, even the young cast was awesome. The most believable character in the film was Christine (performed by Joey King), this girl was excellent. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga were good as always, Vera's character "Lorraine" was a bit surreal but her stunning performance made me believe in all of what she said. Also, Lili Taylor did an excellent job with her role throughout the film, she was amazing, especially in the chilling final act. Moving on, the special effects were quite realistic and so well done. In spite of being a low budget film, it didn't use too much CGI, maybe just in a couple scenes, but everything looks great anyway.

Its final act has some flaws, the exorcism scene has its ups and downs. However, I still liked it, this whole sequence is truly violent, a bit bloody and creepy. The acting was awesome here, Lili Taylor is such a great actress and she really looked like a possessed woman. I just can't believe that Wan directed this flick, most of his previous movies are quite average; but this one, it's a total blast. The Conjuring is an extremely well done horror film that has an impressive camera work, a great cast and lots of memorable scares. It definitely earns its R rating because it's very gruesome and evil at times. It's my favorite horror film of 2013. Oh, and please don't watch the trailer, it's a huge spoiler. [A-]
MarickJul 5, 2015
It is a horror film and has really strong performances .
MovieManiac83Apr 22, 2015
The Conjuring represents a member of an increasingly endangered species: the R-rated horror movie that relies more on suspense and scares than blood and gore. That's not to say there are no instances of horrific, stomach-churning visuals inThe Conjuring represents a member of an increasingly endangered species: the R-rated horror movie that relies more on suspense and scares than blood and gore. That's not to say there are no instances of horrific, stomach-churning visuals in The Conjuring, but this is predominantly a ghost/haunted house tale and, as such, is largely devoid of the kind of slicing and dicing that characterizes movies established in the slasher or "torture porn" subgenres. If I was to use a single word to describe The Conjuring, it would be "intense." The pervasive aura of creepiness more than compensates for the low body count and inventive use of sharp instrumentation.

The victims are the members of the Perron family: father Roger (Ron Livingston), mother Carolyn, and daughters Andrea (Shanley Caswell), Nancy (Hayley McFarland), Christine (Joey King), Cindy (Mackenzie Foy), and April (Kyla Deaver). It doesn't take long before strange things begin happening in their new "dream home." Bumps in the night, mysterious skin bruises, hands clapping in empty rooms, and a dead dog are the first symptoms that all isn't right in this rural, colonial house. By the time Carolyn brings in the Warrens to help, the situation has become serious with the inmates running the asylum.

Wan is a master of manipulation and uses every trick available to him to ratchet up the level of tension. At times, he moves the camera in innovative ways (there's a nice little point-of-view shot that occurs when one of the girls looks under her bed), preferring long takes over short cuts. He often plays with the audience, establishing expected angles without the payoff only to have the "money shot" occur shortly thereafter. The camera placement and movement is precise and represents the difference between a pedestrian haunted house tale and a top-notch one. Joseph Bishara's discordant score adds to the effect without becoming intrusive or overwhelming. CGI and practical effects are used but not overused - another indication that Wan knows what he's doing.

The Conjuring offers the right mix of jump-scare "boo!" moments and mounting tension that creates an intense two hours. The ending is a little weak but it's by no means a disappointment and it wraps up the story effectively - something increasingly unfamiliar to horror films (which like to have "hooks" at the end to facilitate a sequel). This is a midsummer gift to those who genuinely appreciate movies that startle and unsettle. For those who like real horror, this is a don't-miss.

One of the best horror films of all time!
heloheMar 26, 2015
Is this a propaganda film for the catholic church or something? The plot basically consists of a collage of scenes from other (better) movies. It is like Carrie, The Exorcist and Poltergeist mixed together.

It is certainly not based on any

It is certainly not based on any true story whatsoever. Or at least not more true than Fargo.

When that exorcist guy said it is bad that the children are not baptised I had to laugh. I am sure the church paid some money for that film.
apuckett22Mar 26, 2015
I love this movie. plot was great and the scary parts were actually scary!!!! It was not predictable and I would watch it again, for sure. I highly recommend this movie if you want a good scare :)
SpangleMar 1, 2015
The Conjuring soars on a couple of different categories. First, the acting from the entire cast is very good. Second, the direction from James Wan is stellar, really amps up the creepy and does a great job setting an eerie mood. Next, theThe Conjuring soars on a couple of different categories. First, the acting from the entire cast is very good. Second, the direction from James Wan is stellar, really amps up the creepy and does a great job setting an eerie mood. Next, the special effects are great. Everything looks really realistic and that really helps the scares become even more intense. In addition to these, the cinematography is great and the whole production design is great. Really cool look to this one to go with the great feel. Finally, and most importantly, it is legitimately scary. From beginning to end, it makes you feel a sense of dread and provides enough scares to cause you to jump six feet in the air far too many times. The Conjuring stands tall as one of the best recent horror films and, undoubtedly, one of the scariest films ever made, in large part thanks to it relying on the same types of scares to the table that its predecessors do. In many ways, The Conjuring is the 2010s introduction to brilliant, non-cheesy, supernatural horror. Expand
OzyFeb 4, 2015
Was scary!!! This scared the living crap out of me. Yet i'm the brat aethiest, go figure! The movie is very subtle - then out of nowhere some scary b,,tch jumps off a big cabinet and then i couldnt sleep that night. Don't watch alone dont be a fool.
LXQUICKJUSTICEJan 4, 2015
Well, I love Insidious 1 and 2, but The Conjuring was just as disappointing as I expected it to be. The father of the family being assailed by evil spirits is the guy from "office space," so that gave me a bad feeling, and his wife was theWell, I love Insidious 1 and 2, but The Conjuring was just as disappointing as I expected it to be. The father of the family being assailed by evil spirits is the guy from "office space," so that gave me a bad feeling, and his wife was the annoying and lackluster woman from "The Haunting," which flopped beautifully. Perhaps movies like this one are possessed by demonic spirits because somehow they manage to get tons of positive reviews while being absolutely, mind blowingly lame... I mean LAME... I tried being scared by this movie but it never got me, not even once. *spoilers ahead* So the basic premise of the story is this... If you sacrifice a baby to satan and hang yourself you get to haunt a piece of real estate forever. The antagonist here is just a dead satan worshipper... Which is incredibly boring. I expected something creative after watching "Insidious." It was extremely long and there was never any payoff. There's an exorcism that's, well, super lame, and there's not much more to be said about this thing. It was just SO BORING and utterly predictable... I know everyone has a different experience with horror movies, but like I said, spirits must be possessing this terrible movie. It's like they want you to waste your time. They're trolling from another dimension XD ...That would have been more interesting than the plot and ending of this flick. Expand
youlouzJan 3, 2015
This movie is considered to be one of the most terrifying, This is true for the most part, and the suspense makes you go crazy. The only problem I experienced was when the ending was so slow and a little boring.
JohnKristoferDec 21, 2014
The Conjuring thrills us with a scary atmosphere and Jump scares that actually works.The Conjuring is a good horror film,it maybe predictable at times but its still scary with countless jump scares and loveable characters that we don't wantThe Conjuring thrills us with a scary atmosphere and Jump scares that actually works.The Conjuring is a good horror film,it maybe predictable at times but its still scary with countless jump scares and loveable characters that we don't want them to die. Expand
Count_DookuDec 8, 2014
It's good to have a good time, but anything else. I think that this film is a decent horror film filled with tension, and some scary moments that works. The atmosphere created by James Wan is very good and it really works, I'm going to seeIt's good to have a good time, but anything else. I think that this film is a decent horror film filled with tension, and some scary moments that works. The atmosphere created by James Wan is very good and it really works, I'm going to see Annabelle and check if it's as good as the conjuring. The film's plot isn´t much, but it isn't really bad. The film hasn´t a wonderful cast, but they do it well. The film is good to have a good time (as I said before) with your friends, or alone. I recommend it to horror film lovers and to people who wants to have a scary night. Expand
CherryxldNov 23, 2014
The Conjuring es una película del género terror que logra cumplir con las expectativas del género, sin duda alguna va a ser considerada una de las mejores películas de terror del 2013.
SyFyMovieGuyNov 13, 2014
My first REAL Horror movie I have ever watched .....Final Destination 5, The Purge, The Bay. and the Resident Evil movies are horror movies I have watched but THIS is my first demon-posssession/exorcism type of horror I have ever watched. AndMy first REAL Horror movie I have ever watched .....Final Destination 5, The Purge, The Bay. and the Resident Evil movies are horror movies I have watched but THIS is my first demon-posssession/exorcism type of horror I have ever watched. And guess what? I watched it late at night, on my Ipod Touch with earbuds on pretty loud. And guess what? Its one of my favorites of all time! Really really loved it! My favorite horror flick so far....definitely will look more into James Wans movies. Already checked him out on the IMDB!!.

And this is what has got me into horror movies and now I freaking love horror flicks. Hollywood sure is awesome guys, don't you think? Go see the Conjuring! Oh, and Resident evil are zombie movies.
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"The Conjuring" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"The Conjuring" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: While it was more jumpy than scary (as most horror films are these days), it does have some genuinely creepy moments. Based on actual people who claimed to have been involved in the exorcism of a possessed house, the story is an interesting one. Vera Farmiga is one of my least favorite actresses, but she does a great job here. The cast as a whole was more than adequate. An entertaining and enjoyable horror film.

The Bad: A few supporting characters were sort of forced into the film. You're supposed to care about them somewhat as they feign an attempt to give them personality ... but it doesn't work. There is a lull in the middle where they are investigating the home that I could have done without. Lastly, while it has become a modern horror staple, I wish it hadn't relied on so many hollow jumpy moments.
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
The Conjuring thrills with its countless scares and tense atmosphere. Solid acting and great cinematography only excels this as a thoroughly enjoyable (and old-school) horror flick.
papeadojhonNov 8, 2014
Horrorosa, perturbante, suspensiva, e inteligente. The Conjuring tiene el paquete completo que una muy buena pelicula de horror deberia tener. Además de garantizarte unas cuantas noches de pesadillas con todo el asunto.
SatiricalewokNov 7, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to say, I really think the initial teaser trailer was far scarier than the film. The clapping sequence and the doll are both terrifying. However that is where the actuals scares end. Of course there are plenty of jumps throughout, but only the clapping and the doll hold any lasting menace. That is not to say that this isn't an enjoyable film overall, because it is. It's just not quite as scary as it could have been. Expand
alpsandpinguOct 23, 2014
Using haunting and disturbing imagery instead of violence and gore made the human life a precious thing in "The Conjuring" and that is why enjoyed it a lot. It's a film that is scary enough for You to turn on all the lights and lock all theUsing haunting and disturbing imagery instead of violence and gore made the human life a precious thing in "The Conjuring" and that is why enjoyed it a lot. It's a film that is scary enough for You to turn on all the lights and lock all the doors in your house. Expand
CPD98Oct 16, 2014
Los sustos que da son bastante eficientes y la película en si se siente superior en todo a la ridícula Insidious.
Recomendable a quien le guste el terror con aire clásico, pero con temas espirituales.
raporgiOct 11, 2014
Stupid ass movie title! NOTHING is CONJURED in this movie!! Stupid writers and the director should go read a dictionary before slapping the title onto this movie! They also recycle the frickin UV-light **** again.
horcrux2007Sep 2, 2014
"The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet"The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet it flows very well. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are great together as the Warrens. Really, the entire cast was great. This is a great movie to watch and get scared with your friends. I highly recommend it. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
The Conjuring is by and far the scariest film of 2013. A film about paranormal investigators (vividly portrayed by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga), it's chilling and a flashback to early horror flicks.
MaricaAug 31, 2014
"When the music stops, you'll see him in the mirror standing behind you." - April

This is why i love horror movies.One of the best horror movies i ever seen.
rafingal23Aug 26, 2014
This movie caused a big buzz so my best friend dragged me to see it. There are few horrors that can scare me but this movie didn't. Anyways, the plot and the casting were good but there was something missing from it that would give it a higher score.
ryandiamandisAug 23, 2014
One of the best horror movies I've ever watched. The story is fantastic [and real], I guess I am more afraid of ghosts than I was before seeing this film, it's very good indeed.
chwJul 17, 2014
The Conjuring was the best horror movie I've watched! It actually happened and there's a reasonable story behind the true events, as well as the movie!
iheartmoviessJul 6, 2014
When it comes to the horror genre and even the drama genre for that matter, "The Conjuring" gets a lot right. Physically, this film is shot so beautifully with constantly changing angles and dramatic zooms in and out of frame. The set designWhen it comes to the horror genre and even the drama genre for that matter, "The Conjuring" gets a lot right. Physically, this film is shot so beautifully with constantly changing angles and dramatic zooms in and out of frame. The set design and costumes were also integral to the look and chilling atmosphere of the film.
This is probably the most thrilling, beautifully shot, and most traumatizing horror films in recent memory.
jbravoJun 12, 2014
Again, I DARE YOU TO WATCH THIS FILM BY YOURSELF IN THE DARK!!! It's so scary, the government are thinking of adding this film as part of training in the military, in helping soldiers face their fears. lol
GerfyGerberMay 26, 2014
Why did people like this, how? This movie was cliche after cliche, everything in this movie was ripped from other (better) movies, and everything major that happened was so easy to see coming that it was PAINFUL.
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Based on a true stroy The Conjuring is a movie that follows a family in the early 70's that was being tormented by a demonic demon so they soon seek out the help of paranormal investigators to get rid of the demon haunting them. The storyBased on a true stroy The Conjuring is a movie that follows a family in the early 70's that was being tormented by a demonic demon so they soon seek out the help of paranormal investigators to get rid of the demon haunting them. The story itself is nothing new and the events surrounding the story isn't anything new but James Wan delivers on the suspense of the telling of a old story. There wasn't any jump scare moments well at least none that got me. Also only being made on a 20 million budget was great none of it looked bad and for making over 300 million worldwide that is something.

Overall i give it a 7.5 The movie freaked my mom out she siad she wanted to watch a scary movie then after she siad she never want's to see this movie ever again i laughed =D the movie isn't scary at all
RamonGuerreroMay 2, 2014
With such a great cast, great direction, many jump scares, turns out to be not as scary as i expected, but it was way more interesting that i hoped. The story will make you keep on watching until you know what will happen at the end, by theWith such a great cast, great direction, many jump scares, turns out to be not as scary as i expected, but it was way more interesting that i hoped. The story will make you keep on watching until you know what will happen at the end, by the hand of a terrifying score by Joseph Bishara. Expand
scythe8808Apr 28, 2014
The same old generic story of a family moving into a house that is apparently haunted by a demon wasn't anything new. But it was pretty effective in scares. I was surprisingly satisfied with this film. The characters were fairly developed andThe same old generic story of a family moving into a house that is apparently haunted by a demon wasn't anything new. But it was pretty effective in scares. I was surprisingly satisfied with this film. The characters were fairly developed and the acting was great especially the kids. This movie offered scares and unsettling. I definitely recommend this film for those looking for horrifying thrill. Expand
Meth-dudeApr 10, 2014
Critics said that it was one of the scariest horror movie from a long time.I said damn i should watch it and the result is that the cation is all in the end of the movie so before it's just long and long.The only good thing in the beginningCritics said that it was one of the scariest horror movie from a long time.I said damn i should watch it and the result is that the cation is all in the end of the movie so before it's just long and long.The only good thing in the beginning is the creepy doll. Expand
MarkMusicApr 4, 2014
Many will try and have you believe that the atomosphere around the movie was terrifying, but I will tell you unless this is the first horror movie you've seen, nothing will scare you or creep you out.

The movie is so unoriginal. There is

The movie is so unoriginal. There is nothing creative, nor original, and especially not clever in this film. Not the first evil doll, paranormal activity, haunted house, nothing in this movie is good nor interesting. I literally fell asleep, right after my girlfriend. It took me about 5 times to watch the movie entirely. That's 1 more then Avatar.

The films only good aspects are the acting and maybe the directing.
Jonathan117Mar 23, 2014
One of the best horror movies of all time!
Positives:
- Excellent Actors - Excellent Story - Great Atmosphere Negatives: - Abrupt Ending - Based on a true story, even though the story was amazing I'd rather not hear it being based on
One of the best horror movies of all time!
Positives:
- Excellent Actors
- Excellent Story
- Great Atmosphere
Negatives:
- Abrupt Ending
- Based on a true story, even though the story was amazing I'd rather not hear it being based on actual events.
lukechristianscMar 17, 2014
from the guy who brought you saw and insidious james wan brought us the conjuring which is scary and freaky . i never saw a horror film that was based on a true story . this is sort of like amityville horror but hey it was a good film . ifrom the guy who brought you saw and insidious james wan brought us the conjuring which is scary and freaky . i never saw a horror film that was based on a true story . this is sort of like amityville horror but hey it was a good film . i can not wait for the sequel Expand
SkitteMar 16, 2014
First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and askFirst I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery, characters, especially Lorraine, who had a great role in the story; of course everyone had it own role, and the way they have solved the problem. The thing I didn't like so much was that the exorcism was a quick ritual in the film, about several minutes, where I wanted to see something more. Nevertheless, now, after I watched it it's on my favourite list, so I give it a 9, recommending it for the people who wants mistery. Expand
jppl1999Mar 12, 2014
It is a nice movie with a great theme and background work. It is terrifying in several aspects, including the fact that it is based on a true story, but I believed it would have ended with a more interesting and surprising situation. However,It is a nice movie with a great theme and background work. It is terrifying in several aspects, including the fact that it is based on a true story, but I believed it would have ended with a more interesting and surprising situation. However, its a nice movie. Expand
Longo12Feb 26, 2014
Now I am always willing to give them a chance but I am often pretty unimpressed with haunting movies. I really enjoy horror movies but it seems like we get 10 haunting movies a year and none of them very good. The Conjuring on the other handNow I am always willing to give them a chance but I am often pretty unimpressed with haunting movies. I really enjoy horror movies but it seems like we get 10 haunting movies a year and none of them very good. The Conjuring on the other hand I thought was very well done, in particular James Wans directing and the cinematography. The story was your typical haunting story of a family moving into a new house and weird stuff happens but is still interesting to watch and scary because it was handled so well. These types of horror movies are not really my bag but this one has definitely impressed me. Expand
mightymike1978Feb 19, 2014
"Why is this movie getting awesome scores? What happened in this movie that hasn't happened in every other horror movie?"

It is an art to make good pictures. It is an art to make feel the viewer emotionally involved. It is an art to place, choose and time sound effects so that they are just "in time". Often in life it is not the story which is told. It is the WAY the story is told!!!! The conjuring - for shure - is a composition of already known story fragments, but the way the fragments have been arranged to a dense thrilling story are absolutely f***ng genious. There is barely nothing which I had to criticize respectively that can be criticized. And this is - by all respect to other filmmakers - a seldom situation. double thumps up into my bluray-collection!
stakoFeb 17, 2014
I've always been a fan of good horror movies. Sadly, nowadays, there is somewhat of a deficit amongst the genre, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a generic plot + dark premise + a few jumpscares = a good movie. Luckily,I've always been a fan of good horror movies. Sadly, nowadays, there is somewhat of a deficit amongst the genre, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a generic plot + dark premise + a few jumpscares = a good movie. Luckily, this movie isn't like that.
I love this movie. And even as I nitpick my way through it, I manage to find just one thing I don't like about it. But let me get there first.
This movie is really beautifuly shot. The whole direction it is going for has a very retro-horror vibe that I just can't help but enjoy. There are almost no effects, which I think is a huge plus, and those that are included are very effective. This movie doesn't rely simply on jumpscares, but on pure, well-built atmosphere, the overall look and feel of it brings a lot to this.
It also sounds great, all the sound effects used are creepy, there are almost no random sharp sounds, like the ones used in Insidious (whichi I personally hated about it), there is also almost no awkward silence - it's a perfect mix.
The acting in the movie is great. The people behind the movie knew exactly what kinds of people they need, so they just got those people, and they are perfect for their roles. Even the little kids are great at acting it out! It's simply a joy to watch all of these people interract with eachother on such a great level, at times it feels like real-life footidge of a family reunion and that's brilliant.
The overall story is nothing we haven't seen before, but it's very well paced, which is key to a good horror movie. I really love what they did with the pacing here, though I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I give the movie credit for having scenes that most movies of the genre forget - those that expand on the characters and their bonds. However, here is also the one thing I don't like about this movie, and it's the paranormal apparition - it's not badly done, it's just not my thing and I didn't find it scary or creepy, I was intrigued and when I found out what it was, it all sort of went down hill from there for me, but this is just for me, so instead of my personal rating of a 8/10, I give it a almost perfect 9/10 - I recommend this movie to all horror fans, especially those who are nostalgic for retro horror. This movie is awesome!
Rox22Feb 14, 2014
To be honest, this has to be one of the better horrors I have seen in a while. Granted allot in this movie has been done before and the premise is nothing original, the movie as a whole feels fresh and genuinely scary at points. RichTo be honest, this has to be one of the better horrors I have seen in a while. Granted allot in this movie has been done before and the premise is nothing original, the movie as a whole feels fresh and genuinely scary at points. Rich atmosphere and all round decent acting give this movie the creepy vibe that many other horrors are lacking.

While they could have been a bit more daring and gone deeper with the narrative, I really have no gripes with this movie.

Overall:
An enjoyable, creepy and highly atmospheric movie and probably the best horror movie of 2013. I loved it.
JohnAbruzziFeb 14, 2014
This movie is my best horror movie. The story is based on true events wich makes the movie even more scary especially if it's well played. It has a lot of moments where you think there will be jump scare but in the end it's nothing and thatsThis movie is my best horror movie. The story is based on true events wich makes the movie even more scary especially if it's well played. It has a lot of moments where you think there will be jump scare but in the end it's nothing and thats what makes it so scary, there are a few jump scares yes but not always. Just in the right moments. Expand
SEROJJan 25, 2014
Now this is a real horror movie! So much scary scenes! The story was intresting, kinda boring at moments but still a great movie to watch! I recommend it if you want to watch a scary movie with less disgusting scenes!
toliverjohnJan 6, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those horror movies where everyday stuff turn into nightmares. If you have ever lived in an old house you have experienced strange sounds that can't be explained by normal occurrences. In my opinion this fact is what makes this movie so scary and spooky. Expand
FedelcaJan 5, 2014
Estamos ante, lo que parece, la mejor película de terror del año. En verdad, en mucho tiempo yo no veía una película de terror de esta magnitud, sustos bien logrados por todas partes, escenas perturbadoras, un verdadero argumento basado enEstamos ante, lo que parece, la mejor película de terror del año. En verdad, en mucho tiempo yo no veía una película de terror de esta magnitud, sustos bien logrados por todas partes, escenas perturbadoras, un verdadero argumento basado en hechos reales, y lo más importante, sin caer en lo absurdo. La verdad esta y otras películas como la saga de "Saw", "Insidious", la película "Dead Silence" y muchas más por venir, convierten a James Wan en uno de los pioneros del horror moderno entre Rob Zombie y Sam Raimi. Lástima que se este interesando en otro tipo de películas (Fast & Furious 7), pero ya esperaremos a otra más de sus brillantes películas de terror. Me inclino hacia este proyecto; un sólido 8. Expand
MattG_123Jan 1, 2014
It opens up with a creepy sub story, but ultimately possesses the same annoying problems as every other horror movie. Insidious was a more original and less ridiculous films, and the sound was terrifying. The Conjuring lacked on many things.
JawsLaxerDramaDec 31, 2013
For the record, I am not into horror movies in general. Simply because, they are so overused in the areas of sex, and plenty of to last for the ages. I am not a prude, I enjoy over zealous movies (The Wolf ofWall Street) but I am shocked toFor the record, I am not into horror movies in general. Simply because, they are so overused in the areas of sex, and plenty of to last for the ages. I am not a prude, I enjoy over zealous movies (The Wolf ofWall Street) but I am shocked to say The Conjuring has no profanity, no sex scenes to speak of, and is still rated R. Why? The scares. The lighting. The acting. The direction. Absolutely perfect in terms of a watchable horror film. Scary is too much hype. It's frightening in the way that you aren't terrified in the theatre, but at home, Christ...the images of a doll come running back (no, not Chucky) and an esteemed cast that for once, the characters are not unlivable and they're not stupid. It's a bit slow, but rewarding in the end with effects that will shock and a plot that builds over time to a satisfying conclusion.
You may say that James Wan, the director of Saw, has come to his finest hour with The Conjuring. It's a breezy, effortless film to watch, with popcorn occasionally flying and eyes subsequently being shut. At times, I found myself clinging to the arm of a friend (especially the scene with the old lady and Annabelle, the doll) but it's fun. A real picture that builds up over time, no cheap scares and at last, a movie where you care what happens to the characters. Please see.
ambenderDec 28, 2013
This is an effective old school horror flick that favors tension and surprises over gore and killings. The Conjuring represents an improvement over Wan's Insidious, eliminating that film's overly corny elements.
BradySmithDec 26, 2013
Finally a horror movie that's actually decent! No, it's not anywhere near perfect. There are still some lines and scenes that are laughable at best. But there are some other ones that actually manage to creep you out. I wouldn't call theFinally a horror movie that's actually decent! No, it's not anywhere near perfect. There are still some lines and scenes that are laughable at best. But there are some other ones that actually manage to creep you out. I wouldn't call the movie terrifying, but a couple of the characters actually have some personality and depth to them, and the direction is also pretty competent most of the time. This helped me to become mildly, but not drastically, engaged with the story. It really isn't original at all, but you can tell that some thought went into its creation, and that gives it a noticeable advantage on its genre peers. I still wouldn't expect anything come Oscar season though. It's efficiently entertaining, but it's nothing masterful. Expand
busbfranDec 24, 2013
The Conjuring is easily the most scariest movie to date. Take what you think is scary and times it by 10, and your left with The Conjuring. This movie is a MUST for all horror fans. To the acting, dialogue and creepy sound effect this movieThe Conjuring is easily the most scariest movie to date. Take what you think is scary and times it by 10, and your left with The Conjuring. This movie is a MUST for all horror fans. To the acting, dialogue and creepy sound effect this movie will leave you exhausted by the end wishing you never watched because I can tell you now you won't be getting a goods night sleep. Expand
JNOTRDec 21, 2013
James Wan brings us the classic horror film that does scare anyone who is in the room from the first minute (literally), bringing a conbinacion Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Shining reverse. The 2013 was good horror movies generally hadJames Wan brings us the classic horror film that does scare anyone who is in the room from the first minute (literally), bringing a conbinacion Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Shining reverse. The 2013 was good horror movies generally had good reviews as Mama and The Cottage of Terror (although in the latter my criticism was not positive). Vera Farmiga splendid as ever. The girls (Joey King Batman the Dark Knight rises, Mackenzie Foy Breaking Dawn Part 2 and others) keeps his performance very well. The best thing about the movie is the diabolical doll Anabelle since its first appearance in the movie scares, the plot and outcome. The only thing bad about 20 minutes without something interesting happens. Expand
CountryPetInnDec 14, 2013
Scary? For me, not really. If you were scared watching Paranormal Activity, then this film will probably scare you. I did find the film interesting though. Went online afterwords to research the story and authenticity of the film version.
eagleeyevikingDec 13, 2013
KaptainHutchinoDec 12, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though it is the same old haunted house story and a predictable happy ending, the Conjuring delivers with the stylistic visuals that make James Wan's films great. Expand
Trev29Dec 9, 2013
For a genre that almost always gets it wrong, The Conjuring finally gets it right. Not only is it actually scary, but the film also manages to tie in good acting, score, production, and a perfect pace. Something that cannot be said of anyFor a genre that almost always gets it wrong, The Conjuring finally gets it right. Not only is it actually scary, but the film also manages to tie in good acting, score, production, and a perfect pace. Something that cannot be said of any other horror movie that comes to mind. Expand
OhHolyMeNov 24, 2013
Haunted dolls, levitating, Attack of Blind Pigeons, cheesy "dialogue", slamming doors, crucifixes, basement-as-center of activity...zzzzzz.....But, don't worry, in the end we're all brought back to flowers and unicorns and bubble-teas by aHaunted dolls, levitating, Attack of Blind Pigeons, cheesy "dialogue", slamming doors, crucifixes, basement-as-center of activity...zzzzzz.....But, don't worry, in the end we're all brought back to flowers and unicorns and bubble-teas by a mother's love and god. Awwww.

This is galactically lame, desperate, and overdone with cheap jump-thrills. Just another horror movie that reminds us that The Exorcist is the gold standard which has yet to be beat.
TheQuietGamerNov 19, 2013
Without a doubt the scariest horror movie I have ever seen. After Insidious I was sure that James Wan could pull of a great horror movie, and I was right. Once again pairing with Patrick Wilson, James Wan creates a down-right terrifyingWithout a doubt the scariest horror movie I have ever seen. After Insidious I was sure that James Wan could pull of a great horror movie, and I was right. Once again pairing with Patrick Wilson, James Wan creates a down-right terrifying possession flick that will give you chills, put you one the edge of your seat, and leave you gasping for air. I'm not typically scared during horror movies and I was terrified. Once the film gets going it does not stop, providing scare after scare after scare.

The problem with it is that it does take a little bit to get going. Not as long as other horror movies take, but it does take some time. Another issue are the unintentionally funny moments that plagued Wan's previous work "Insidious" are here as well. There is also the occasional lull between scares that just left me bored. These lulls aren't frequent or long, but they do get in the way. Overall though this a genuinely good horror movie that does something most other so called horror movies fail to do; provide genuine terror.

In my opinion James Wan might just be the best horror movie director out there. With this and Insidious he has proven to me that he knows how to create good horror movies and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next. If you're looking for a genuinely scary horror movie then this is a great choice. It has got some issues but that doesn't change the fact that this movie is not just scary, but also terrifying.
moviematthewNov 7, 2013
This movie is definitely one of the best horror movies I have seen so far. I was a bit skeptical at first of this movie, but once it started, I could not keep my eyes off the screen. It was definitely a better movie to see than "My LittleThis movie is definitely one of the best horror movies I have seen so far. I was a bit skeptical at first of this movie, but once it started, I could not keep my eyes off the screen. It was definitely a better movie to see than "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls". I can't wait for James Wan's next installment in the Warren paranormal investigators saga. Expand
breanna1002Nov 6, 2013
A week ago my boyfriend and I watched “The Conjuring” for the first time. Before we watched the movie I expected the movie to be like any other horror flick someone dies, they get haunted, and then they beat the demon. But this movie wasA week ago my boyfriend and I watched “The Conjuring” for the first time. Before we watched the movie I expected the movie to be like any other horror flick someone dies, they get haunted, and then they beat the demon. But this movie was better. From the beginning of the movie to the end I was interested the whole time. It was suspenseful, exciting, frightening, and terrifying. I love scary and suspenseful movies, but this movie was better than any movie I have seen in a long time. After I watched the movie I wanted to watch it again. Expand
Metacritic101Nov 5, 2013
I'm an avid horror fan. Lately I've been thinking there isn't much that can scare me (though Sinister got under my skin). I appreciate James Wan's films, I love the first Saw, Insidious was a damn good modern ghost story, but like all reviewsI'm an avid horror fan. Lately I've been thinking there isn't much that can scare me (though Sinister got under my skin). I appreciate James Wan's films, I love the first Saw, Insidious was a damn good modern ghost story, but like all reviews have stated for it, the movie kinda loses it's momentum in the final act.

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's one of the best horror movies of the last 5 or 10 years. It goes back to the classic rule of horror film making, never show the bad guy fully to your audience. Plus this movie knows suspense, I tell you, I almost threw a water bottle at the screen from sheer terror once the scare finally happened. There are no fake jump scares, the movie earned an R rating without any blood, sex, or profanity, it's all from the terror that this movie builds upon.

Not only is the movie scary, but as a film itself, it's almost a masterpiece. The script, acting, direction, style, tone, etc were all simply top notch. Wan's camera-work here is by far his best out of any of his movies. The choice to set the movie in the 70s was a stroke of genius as it feels so authentic and all the more real. If this story were set in the present, it simply wouldn't be as a effective or scary. The 70s style film making, costuming, and hair styling are a great throwback to likes of The Exorcist & The Amityville Horror.

Though there are a few (extremely minor) flaws, such are length, repetitiveness, and a resolution that happens way too fast. I don't care, every horror movie (or movie in general) has it's flaws. There will never be a perfect horror movie, if there is one, I haven't seen it yet. But all I know is James Wan's The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time, and it's been a really long time that a movie has scared me this badly.

10/10 Don't miss this one, it's an amazing theater viewing experience.
csw12Nov 2, 2013
For the first time in a long time The Conjuring gives horror movies a chance to be good again. Everything from the score, to the cinematography, to a well though out story came together brilliantly to provide for a truly horrifying film.
AlexanderLuthorNov 2, 2013
One of the rare films I found truly scary and truly captivating. Well worth the watch for horror lovers. Not sure why reviews have to be fifty characters long...
XanifurOct 31, 2013
Another run of the mill Hollywood cookie cutter ghost story. Branching stories, several of which never get resolved (The first part of the film had absolutely nothing to do with the whole movie!). Some genuine thrilling moments, but overallAnother run of the mill Hollywood cookie cutter ghost story. Branching stories, several of which never get resolved (The first part of the film had absolutely nothing to do with the whole movie!). Some genuine thrilling moments, but overall fall flat jump scares and screamingly generic exorcisms. This film portrays witchcraft, paganism, atheists and non-belivers in a light of evil, and Christianity as the faith to save the day and the souls of all infidels. A christian propaganda film as much as a horror film. I would rather watch Paranormal Activity over this. Expand
sammieteeOct 30, 2013
I normally don't enjoy horror movies but The Conjuring was fantastic for what it was. This movie really scared me, I watched half of it through my fingers. What makes it even more scary it was based on a real demonologists, they even talkedI normally don't enjoy horror movies but The Conjuring was fantastic for what it was. This movie really scared me, I watched half of it through my fingers. What makes it even more scary it was based on a real demonologists, they even talked at my local university at the height of their careers. The performances were good for most of the actors and it had a good build up to build suspense and fear. It's been a few days since I've seen it and I still makes me nervous when I trun off the light. Worth watching if you want a good scare! Expand
SmaseliafOct 28, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well-crafted movie with several scary scenes, however it revolves so much around horror clichés: remote haunted big house in the forest, a seemingly happy family, a poltergeist that plagues the occupants, dark spooky cellar, kids (females again as usual) that can see and hear things that adults can’t do so, animals “mysteriously” killed, cursed toys/items, happy ending (sorry for the spoiler!) achieved by uttering the right sentimental “password” to the spirit etc.

Although predictable, it is worth seeing if you are horror fans.
SunSparcOct 27, 2013
We actually really enjoyed this movie. It made us a jump a bunch of times and was a great halloween movie. Sure there were some already used plot devices in this horror movie, but overall it was great.
TheOrienceOct 18, 2013
Its true that The Conjuring plays on the same tried story of the haunted house, but it, unlike its predecessors plays it right. The films director, Wan, manages to take an overly developed storyline and streamline it into a frightfullyIts true that The Conjuring plays on the same tried story of the haunted house, but it, unlike its predecessors plays it right. The films director, Wan, manages to take an overly developed storyline and streamline it into a frightfully believable tale that is shot in a way that removes the predicable scare tactics that plague the horror genre and replace it with well thought schemes and unpredictably eerie scenarios. A film worth watching, even for those averse to the genre. Expand
JmsbppOct 14, 2013
el conjuro, Expediente Warren y entre otros nombres es lo que revoluciona el terror hacia algo mejor, esta pelicula esta bien realizada con unos 20 millones bien aprovechados y con un toque de tipico y unico terror
Dimitris01Oct 10, 2013
The movie becomes gradually less scary after the two 'ghost hunters' arrive at the haunted house, the mystery should be harder to solve and the ending is too 'noisy'. Still, the first act is excellent, there are several frightening scenes,The movie becomes gradually less scary after the two 'ghost hunters' arrive at the haunted house, the mystery should be harder to solve and the ending is too 'noisy'. Still, the first act is excellent, there are several frightening scenes, the direction makes the atmosphere darker and Vera Farmiga is great. Patrick Wilson is good too.
argonautis.eu
sev_kouvaOct 9, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie...if your a fan of horror movies you will love this movie!!!

Overall a great movie and acting...not to mention lovely spooky atmospheres & sounds...
ToffenuffOct 5, 2013
I don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and theI don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and the characters are well done, and I actually liked the plot of this one, particularly because it was paced very well. Plenty enough scares for the horror film lover, much of which is achieved by slow moments of rising tension, tense anticipation and plain creepy moments. Recommended. Expand
aribateOct 3, 2013
While the movie may have some scary visuals, it relies too much on old and cheap scary tricks that the movie keeps repeating, so by the time you've experienced the first scary scenes you already know what's gonna happen in the scenes that follow.
Twist_Of_FateOct 2, 2013
It has its moments,But overall its dull and like they tried to hard to make it scary which ruined it in my opinion,Its more gross and disturbing than thrilling or scary,definitely no hair raising moments for me.The worst Paranormal activityIt has its moments,But overall its dull and like they tried to hard to make it scary which ruined it in my opinion,Its more gross and disturbing than thrilling or scary,definitely no hair raising moments for me.The worst Paranormal activity was still better than this movie. Expand
KivaSep 28, 2013
James Wan is a master. I haven't watched many films that he has made but the conjuring is just epic. The first hour it just builds the whole thing and in the second hour true horror comes in the screen. From the first scene, I knew that thisJames Wan is a master. I haven't watched many films that he has made but the conjuring is just epic. The first hour it just builds the whole thing and in the second hour true horror comes in the screen. From the first scene, I knew that this movie is going to make me bricks. And of course I was correct. Something really impressive was the actors and the cinematography of the film. Lili Taylor and Vera Farmiga were stunning. As for the cinematography I doubt that there is going to be a better film with that cinematography. Though it has no originality it gives to a horror fan what really wanted for many years. I don't think that there is going to be such a good horror movie in years. Thumbs up! 9,5/10 Expand
theseparatorSep 22, 2013
Before Christianity and Latin existed how did exorcists exorcise? A lingering question after watching The Conjuring, a film by James Wan.

The age of Scary Movie-esque franchises has turned seeing dead people and being haunted by and evil spirits into mundanely comic events. Sexy vampires, farcical zombies, and ridiculous inside jokes about the world’s end begone! The Conjuring is a big horror film that is actually good and scary. Finally!

Still, Director Wan uses all the old horror tricks to build up the suspense: creeping suggestive crescendos in the score, brief uncertain glimpses of unknown beings, and of course, lots of loud and unexpected jolts.

The film opens as the Perron family arrives at their new home, a large fixer-upper in the Rhode Island countryside. As the family starts their life in the new house the haunting becomes apparent. Clocks stop, doors slam, people scream. Terror drives the family to huddle up in the living room where they spend their nights sleeping together. It makes the spirits calmer, they say.

A little too conveniently, famous demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren just so happen to be speaking nearby. Mrs. Perron persuades the Warrens to come inspect the house. Lorrain Warren, a kind of clairvoyant, senses real trouble in the Perron house immediately. Using cameras, Holy magic, and Latin scriptures, the fight begins to save not only the house from destruction, but the people inside it as well.
MitchellHaalandSep 15, 2013
The Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intenseThe Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intense to sit back. The only other option was to curl up in my seat while being bombarded with a fantastic story and scare tactics beyond the average possession tale. It's too unique of a horror movie to miss. Expand
Emelex1Sep 13, 2013
Great expectations for the title of the film, horror at its highest expression, the situation more chilling is that it is not murder but of spirits. I was scared but with Insidius.
klieberungSep 12, 2013
same warmed warmed and warmed and re warmed soup made in hollywood. absolutely boring and predictable. I appreciated wilson's performance but nothing else. entire movie is a shameless cliche, redundant till the bother. without any trace ofsame warmed warmed and warmed and re warmed soup made in hollywood. absolutely boring and predictable. I appreciated wilson's performance but nothing else. entire movie is a shameless cliche, redundant till the bother. without any trace of soul. yes, definitely I can say its a ghosts movie. where the ghost is the movie. Expand
hoops2448Sep 10, 2013
From the mind of the director of Saw, The Conjuring is a film that finds itself in two minds about whether it should be a strict horror film or a family themed one. Eventually the film stops trying to differentiate and just gives up makingFrom the mind of the director of Saw, The Conjuring is a film that finds itself in two minds about whether it should be a strict horror film or a family themed one. Eventually the film stops trying to differentiate and just gives up making for an ending so flat its almost as if it doesn't end. The film follows Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga), a married couple who work as ghost hunters and are sent to the Perron household where Carolyn (Lili Taylor) and Roger Perron (Ron Livingston) are experiencing odd occurrences that are scaring not only them but their five girls. Filled with some great tension, the opening act of the film is almost like it is from another film as it slowly but surely puts you in a state of unease, one that feels like it isn't going to end leading to a moment so terrifying it will affect some of the most seasoned horror watchers. However after that the scares become more predictable and the timing becomes a lot more conventional as the film transitions into a picture about family where there is no real sense of jeopardy, just two families bonding together which could be interesting if The Conjuring wasn't a horror film. The picture decides to avoid a chilling finale in favour of an action one where everything collectively hits the fan but by doing so have rid the the film of any redemptive features as director James Wan's signature style of raising tension to a boiling point is thrown out of the window in favour of a whole lot of confusion. This balls to the wall conclusion lacks the gravitas of his previous works which is a crying shame indeed. Expand
SwatiSep 10, 2013
I haven't liked a horror movie in a long time and I'm pleased to say that that period is over. The scares were calculated and chilling. The mood was consistent and did not let up. The acting was OK. It felt like I was watching a historicalI haven't liked a horror movie in a long time and I'm pleased to say that that period is over. The scares were calculated and chilling. The mood was consistent and did not let up. The acting was OK. It felt like I was watching a historical movie. It was cleverly shot. But I have a problem with the ending. It could have been more pessimistic. But given that the director wanted to make something more than just a horror flick, that is understandable. Do not miss this. Expand