7.7

1. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Conjuring was the best horror movie I've watched! It actually happened and there's a reasonable story behind the true events, as well as the movie!
  2. Jul 6, 2014
    When it comes to the horror genre and even the drama genre for that matter, "The Conjuring" gets a lot right. Physically, this film is shot so beautifully with constantly changing angles and dramatic zooms in and out of frame. The set design and costumes were also integral to the look and chilling atmosphere of the film.
    This is probably the most thrilling, beautifully shot, and most
    traumatizing horror films in recent memory. Expand
  3. Jun 12, 2014
    Again, I DARE YOU TO WATCH THIS FILM BY YOURSELF IN THE DARK!!! It's so scary, the government are thinking of adding this film as part of training in the military, in helping soldiers face their fears. lol
  4. May 26, 2014
    Why did people like this, how? This movie was cliche after cliche, everything in this movie was ripped from other (better) movies, and everything major that happened was so easy to see coming that it was PAINFUL.
  5. May 25, 2014
    Based on a true stroy The Conjuring is a movie that follows a family in the early 70's that was being tormented by a demonic demon so they soon seek out the help of paranormal investigators to get rid of the demon haunting them. The story itself is nothing new and the events surrounding the story isn't anything new but James Wan delivers on the suspense of the telling of a old story. There wasn't any jump scare moments well at least none that got me. Also only being made on a 20 million budget was great none of it looked bad and for making over 300 million worldwide that is something.

Overall i give it a 7.5 The movie freaked my mom out she siad she wanted to watch a scary movie then after she siad she never want's to see this movie ever again i laughed =D the movie isn't scary at all
  6. May 2, 2014
    With such a great cast, great direction, many jump scares, turns out to be not as scary as i expected, but it was way more interesting that i hoped. The story will make you keep on watching until you know what will happen at the end, by the hand of a terrifying score by Joseph Bishara.
  7. Apr 28, 2014
    The same old generic story of a family moving into a house that is apparently haunted by a demon wasn't anything new. But it was pretty effective in scares. I was surprisingly satisfied with this film. The characters were fairly developed and the acting was great especially the kids. This movie offered scares and unsettling. I definitely recommend this film for those looking for horrifying thrill.
  8. Apr 10, 2014
    Critics said that it was one of the scariest horror movie from a long time.I said damn i should watch it and the result is that the cation is all in the end of the movie so before it's just long and long.The only good thing in the beginning is the creepy doll.
  9. Apr 4, 2014
    Many will try and have you believe that the atomosphere around the movie was terrifying, but I will tell you unless this is the first horror movie you've seen, nothing will scare you or creep you out.

The movie is so unoriginal. There is nothing creative, nor original, and especially not clever in this film. Not the first evil doll, paranormal activity, haunted house, nothing in this
    movie is good nor interesting. I literally fell asleep, right after my girlfriend. It took me about 5 times to watch the movie entirely. That's 1 more then Avatar.

The films only good aspects are the acting and maybe the directing.
  10. Mar 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies of all time!
    Positives:
    - Excellent Actors
    - Excellent Story
    - Great Atmosphere
    Negatives:
    - Abrupt Ending
    - Based on a true story, even though the story was amazing I'd rather not hear it being based on actual events.
  11. Mar 17, 2014
    from the guy who brought you saw and insidious james wan brought us the conjuring which is scary and freaky . i never saw a horror film that was based on a true story . this is sort of like amityville horror but hey it was a good film . i can not wait for the sequel
  12. Mar 16, 2014
    First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery, characters, especially Lorraine, who had a great role in the story; of course everyone had it own role, and the way they have solved the problem. The thing I didn't like so much was that the exorcism was a quick ritual in the film, about several minutes, where I wanted to see something more. Nevertheless, now, after I watched it it's on my favourite list, so I give it a 9, recommending it for the people who wants mistery. Expand
  13. Mar 12, 2014
    It is a nice movie with a great theme and background work. It is terrifying in several aspects, including the fact that it is based on a true story, but I believed it would have ended with a more interesting and surprising situation. However, its a nice movie.
  14. Feb 26, 2014
    Now I am always willing to give them a chance but I am often pretty unimpressed with haunting movies. I really enjoy horror movies but it seems like we get 10 haunting movies a year and none of them very good. The Conjuring on the other hand I thought was very well done, in particular James Wans directing and the cinematography. The story was your typical haunting story of a family moving into a new house and weird stuff happens but is still interesting to watch and scary because it was handled so well. These types of horror movies are not really my bag but this one has definitely impressed me. Expand
  15. Feb 19, 2014
    "Why is this movie getting awesome scores? What happened in this movie that hasn't happened in every other horror movie?"

It is an art to make good pictures. It is an art to make feel the viewer emotionally involved. It is an art to place, choose and time sound effects so that they are just "in time". Often in life it is not the story which is told. It is the WAY the story is told!!!!
    The conjuring - for shure - is a composition of already known story fragments, but the way the fragments have been arranged to a dense thrilling story are absolutely f***ng genious. There is barely nothing which I had to criticize respectively that can be criticized. And this is - by all respect to other filmmakers - a seldom situation. double thumps up into my bluray-collection! Expand
  16. Feb 17, 2014
    I've always been a fan of good horror movies. Sadly, nowadays, there is somewhat of a deficit amongst the genre, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a generic plot + dark premise + a few jumpscares = a good movie. Luckily, this movie isn't like that.
    I love this movie. And even as I nitpick my way through it, I manage to find just one thing I don't like about it. But let
    me get there first.
    This movie is really beautifuly shot. The whole direction it is going for has a very retro-horror vibe that I just can't help but enjoy. There are almost no effects, which I think is a huge plus, and those that are included are very effective. This movie doesn't rely simply on jumpscares, but on pure, well-built atmosphere, the overall look and feel of it brings a lot to this.
    It also sounds great, all the sound effects used are creepy, there are almost no random sharp sounds, like the ones used in Insidious (whichi I personally hated about it), there is also almost no awkward silence - it's a perfect mix.
    The acting in the movie is great. The people behind the movie knew exactly what kinds of people they need, so they just got those people, and they are perfect for their roles. Even the little kids are great at acting it out! It's simply a joy to watch all of these people interract with eachother on such a great level, at times it feels like real-life footidge of a family reunion and that's brilliant.
    The overall story is nothing we haven't seen before, but it's very well paced, which is key to a good horror movie. I really love what they did with the pacing here, though I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I give the movie credit for having scenes that most movies of the genre forget - those that expand on the characters and their bonds. However, here is also the one thing I don't like about this movie, and it's the paranormal apparition - it's not badly done, it's just not my thing and I didn't find it scary or creepy, I was intrigued and when I found out what it was, it all sort of went down hill from there for me, but this is just for me, so instead of my personal rating of a 8/10, I give it a almost perfect 9/10 - I recommend this movie to all horror fans, especially those who are nostalgic for retro horror. This movie is awesome!
  17. Feb 14, 2014
    To be honest, this has to be one of the better horrors I have seen in a while. Granted allot in this movie has been done before and the premise is nothing original, the movie as a whole feels fresh and genuinely scary at points. Rich atmosphere and all round decent acting give this movie the creepy vibe that many other horrors are lacking.

While they could have been a bit more daring
    and gone deeper with the narrative, I really have no gripes with this movie.

Overall:
    An enjoyable, creepy and highly atmospheric movie and probably the best horror movie of 2013. I loved it.
  18. Feb 14, 2014
    This movie is my best horror movie. The story is based on true events wich makes the movie even more scary especially if it's well played. It has a lot of moments where you think there will be jump scare but in the end it's nothing and thats what makes it so scary, there are a few jump scares yes but not always. Just in the right moments.
  19. Jan 25, 2014
    Now this is a real horror movie! So much scary scenes! The story was intresting, kinda boring at moments but still a great movie to watch! I recommend it if you want to watch a scary movie with less disgusting scenes!
  20. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those horror movies where everyday stuff turn into nightmares. If you have ever lived in an old house you have experienced strange sounds that can't be explained by normal occurrences. In my opinion this fact is what makes this movie so scary and spooky. Expand
  21. Jan 5, 2014
    Estamos ante, lo que parece, la mejor película de terror del año. En verdad, en mucho tiempo yo no veía una película de terror de esta magnitud, sustos bien logrados por todas partes, escenas perturbadoras, un verdadero argumento basado en hechos reales, y lo más importante, sin caer en lo absurdo. La verdad esta y otras películas como la saga de "Saw", "Insidious", la película "Dead Silence" y muchas más por venir, convierten a James Wan en uno de los pioneros del horror moderno entre Rob Zombie y Sam Raimi. Lástima que se este interesando en otro tipo de películas (Fast & Furious 7), pero ya esperaremos a otra más de sus brillantes películas de terror. Me inclino hacia este proyecto; un sólido 8. Expand
  22. Jan 1, 2014
    It opens up with a creepy sub story, but ultimately possesses the same annoying problems as every other horror movie. Insidious was a more original and less ridiculous films, and the sound was terrifying. The Conjuring lacked on many things.
  23. Dec 31, 2013
    For the record, I am not into horror movies in general. Simply because, they are so overused in the areas of sex, and plenty of to last for the ages. I am not a prude, I enjoy over zealous movies (The Wolf ofWall Street) but I am shocked to say The Conjuring has no profanity, no sex scenes to speak of, and is still rated R. Why? The scares. The lighting. The acting. The direction. Absolutely perfect in terms of a watchable horror film. Scary is too much hype. It's frightening in the way that you aren't terrified in the theatre, but at home, Christ...the images of a doll come running back (no, not Chucky) and an esteemed cast that for once, the characters are not unlivable and they're not stupid. It's a bit slow, but rewarding in the end with effects that will shock and a plot that builds over time to a satisfying conclusion.
    You may say that James Wan, the director of Saw, has come to his finest hour with The Conjuring. It's a breezy, effortless film to watch, with popcorn occasionally flying and eyes subsequently being shut. At times, I found myself clinging to the arm of a friend (especially the scene with the old lady and Annabelle, the doll) but it's fun. A real picture that builds up over time, no cheap scares and at last, a movie where you care what happens to the characters. Please see.
  24. Dec 28, 2013
    This is an effective old school horror flick that favors tension and surprises over gore and killings. The Conjuring represents an improvement over Wan's Insidious, eliminating that film's overly corny elements.
  25. Dec 26, 2013
    Finally a horror movie that's actually decent! No, it's not anywhere near perfect. There are still some lines and scenes that are laughable at best. But there are some other ones that actually manage to creep you out. I wouldn't call the movie terrifying, but a couple of the characters actually have some personality and depth to them, and the direction is also pretty competent most of the time. This helped me to become mildly, but not drastically, engaged with the story. It really isn't original at all, but you can tell that some thought went into its creation, and that gives it a noticeable advantage on its genre peers. I still wouldn't expect anything come Oscar season though. It's efficiently entertaining, but it's nothing masterful. Expand
  26. Dec 24, 2013
    The Conjuring is easily the most scariest movie to date. Take what you think is scary and times it by 10, and your left with The Conjuring. This movie is a MUST for all horror fans. To the acting, dialogue and creepy sound effect this movie will leave you exhausted by the end wishing you never watched because I can tell you now you won't be getting a goods night sleep.
  27. Dec 21, 2013
    James Wan brings us the classic horror film that does scare anyone who is in the room from the first minute (literally), bringing a conbinacion Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Shining reverse. The 2013 was good horror movies generally had good reviews as Mama and The Cottage of Terror (although in the latter my criticism was not positive). Vera Farmiga splendid as ever. The girls (Joey King Batman the Dark Knight rises, Mackenzie Foy Breaking Dawn Part 2 and others) keeps his performance very well. The best thing about the movie is the diabolical doll Anabelle since its first appearance in the movie scares, the plot and outcome. The only thing bad about 20 minutes without something interesting happens. Expand
  28. Dec 14, 2013
    Scary? For me, not really. If you were scared watching Paranormal Activity, then this film will probably scare you. I did find the film interesting though. Went online afterwords to research the story and authenticity of the film version.
  29. Dec 13, 2013
    The Conjuring thrills with its countless scares and tense atmosphere. Solid acting and great cinematography only excels this as a thoroughly enjoyable (and old-school) horror flick.
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though it is the same old haunted house story and a predictable happy ending, the Conjuring delivers with the stylistic visuals that make James Wan's films great. Expand
  31. Dec 10, 2013
    Consensus: Well crafted, frightening, suspenseful, full of effective scares, excellent performances and with a terrifying picture. "THE CONJURING" by James Wan is definitely one of the best horror films in recent memory. Worldwide Box Office: $316,700,141. MY RATING: 89/100 (A-)

Directed By: James Wan

REVIEW: "The Conjuring" directed by James Wan (Insidious, SAW) is one of the most
    anticipated horror films in this year. The film begins very well, with one case of The Warrens "Annabelle" maintaining interest in the audience and then show us the story of this happy family (slowly and suspensefully during the first 20 minutes) who has noticed a couple of paranormal events happening in the house. After the first 30 minutes the worst happens!, suspense, more terror, epic scenes, loud noises, screams all the way down, all this well acted, with an original, awesome and terrifying picture and photography that is unleashed. The plot is extensive and very well explained; Always throughout the film is very well maintained of suspense, and i think that all the suspense made all the scares EFFECTIVE!, although none of the scares of The Conjuring are original but these are very creative and effective, the film reminds me of many others like: The Woman in Black (2012) Paranormal Activity 3 (2011), The Exorcist, etc. Yeah it's true The Conjuring is "more of the same but that doesn't mean that isn't scary or misspelled; Isn't overrated!, The film has that score on Rotten Tomatoes (87%) because he deserves it!. The film has amazing performances, highlight here fits nicely Patrick Wilson as always, Lili Tayor also does excelent it's always scared, tense all the time and one of the best performances of the film was undoubtedly the role that plays this girl Joey King (Christine) her performance was so good and so impressed me so much that I give her 10 OSCAR awards. One of the performances that didn't cause me fear or empathy is Vera Farmiga's performance she is very talented but in some parts (very few) her performance wasn't credible it was more...exaggerated as her character. Something else that I really like it in The Conjuring was ALL the terrifying moments, all the scares very well executed, and the film never became boring neither a minute!, always entertaining with his characters, his script perfectly prepared and with occasional jokes which includes the talented James Wan in the script. The film has nice special effects (as we can see in a video of the behind the scenes, all the work that was employed in this scenes) although many of them clearly are with CGI and it looks a bit crappy; But this movie need to use CGI in 2 or 3 scenes because it's very necessary. The weakest part of the film is the final part (The Exorcism Scene), still maintaining the terror, But in this part the film isn't original, is 0% original and at times this part was more funny than frightening. But still entertaining, the photography is very impressive, everything is in balance with this: the terror, suspense, tension,etc. So the end result is an extremely well crafted film, very well acted, full of effective scares, entertaining, incredibly frightening scares, and certainly I think that The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies of all the time.

NICE: All the scares are effective (Of course, if you haven't seen the trailer yet) PLEASE DON'T SEE THE TRAILER!, because almost of all the scares are ruined. Also has the picture, nice direction, a perfect and careful script, the performances of all the cast, and obviously this film is 100% entertaining.

FAIL: The lack of originality in many of the scares, so don't expect anything new in The Conjuring. The exorcism scene.

WATCH THIS MOVIE IF... Love or is your passion the horror genre without gore, also if you liked other films by James Wan like "Insidious", Watch this If you are very skittish or if you like suspense, also watch this if you have "average expectations"... I mean if you think that the movie isn't the 8th wonder but neither is a complete bull****.

DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE IF... You have highly extremely expectations because this movie ISN'T PERFECT!, Please don't see it if you like gore, bizarre scenes, etc.. Because the film hasn't much gore or deaths, or profanity, is pure horror and suspense at 100%.

Twitter: @MemoBosque, Facebook: Guillermo Bosque Mendoza,
    FULL REVIEW at my Blog: www.MemoBosque.Blogpsot.Mx
  32. Dec 9, 2013
    For a genre that almost always gets it wrong, The Conjuring finally gets it right. Not only is it actually scary, but the film also manages to tie in good acting, score, production, and a perfect pace. Something that cannot be said of any other horror movie that comes to mind.
  33. Nov 24, 2013
    Haunted dolls, levitating, Attack of Blind Pigeons, cheesy "dialogue", slamming doors, crucifixes, basement-as-center of activity...zzzzzz.....But, don't worry, in the end we're all brought back to flowers and unicorns and bubble-teas by a mother's love and god. Awwww.

This is galactically lame, desperate, and overdone with cheap jump-thrills. Just another horror movie that reminds us
    that The Exorcist is the gold standard which has yet to be beat. Expand
  34. Nov 19, 2013
    Without a doubt the scariest horror movie I have ever seen. After Insidious I was sure that James Wan could pull of a great horror movie, and I was right. Once again pairing with Patrick Wilson, James Wan creates a down-right terrifying possession flick that will give you chills, put you one the edge of your seat, and leave you gasping for air. I'm not typically scared during horror movies and I was terrified. Once the film gets going it does not stop, providing scare after scare after scare.

The problem with it is that it does take a little bit to get going. Not as long as other horror movies take, but it does take some time. Another issue are the unintentionally funny moments that plagued Wan's previous work "Insidious" are here as well. There is also the occasional lull between scares that just left me bored. These lulls aren't frequent or long, but they do get in the way. Overall though this a genuinely good horror movie that does something most other so called horror movies fail to do; provide genuine terror.

In my opinion James Wan might just be the best horror movie director out there. With this and Insidious he has proven to me that he knows how to create good horror movies and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next. If you're looking for a genuinely scary horror movie then this is a great choice. It has got some issues but that doesn't change the fact that this movie is not just scary, but also terrifying.
  35. Nov 7, 2013
    This movie is definitely one of the best horror movies I have seen so far. I was a bit skeptical at first of this movie, but once it started, I could not keep my eyes off the screen. It was definitely a better movie to see than "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls". I can't wait for James Wan's next installment in the Warren paranormal investigators saga.
  36. Nov 6, 2013
    A week ago my boyfriend and I watched “The Conjuring” for the first time. Before we watched the movie I expected the movie to be like any other horror flick someone dies, they get haunted, and then they beat the demon. But this movie was better. From the beginning of the movie to the end I was interested the whole time. It was suspenseful, exciting, frightening, and terrifying. I love scary and suspenseful movies, but this movie was better than any movie I have seen in a long time. After I watched the movie I wanted to watch it again. Expand
  37. Nov 5, 2013
    I'm an avid horror fan. Lately I've been thinking there isn't much that can scare me (though Sinister got under my skin). I appreciate James Wan's films, I love the first Saw, Insidious was a damn good modern ghost story, but like all reviews have stated for it, the movie kinda loses it's momentum in the final act.

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm
    gonna go out on a limb and say it's one of the best horror movies of the last 5 or 10 years. It goes back to the classic rule of horror film making, never show the bad guy fully to your audience. Plus this movie knows suspense, I tell you, I almost threw a water bottle at the screen from sheer terror once the scare finally happened. There are no fake jump scares, the movie earned an R rating without any blood, sex, or profanity, it's all from the terror that this movie builds upon.

Not only is the movie scary, but as a film itself, it's almost a masterpiece. The script, acting, direction, style, tone, etc were all simply top notch. Wan's camera-work here is by far his best out of any of his movies. The choice to set the movie in the 70s was a stroke of genius as it feels so authentic and all the more real. If this story were set in the present, it simply wouldn't be as a effective or scary. The 70s style film making, costuming, and hair styling are a great throwback to likes of The Exorcist & The Amityville Horror.

Though there are a few (extremely minor) flaws, such are length, repetitiveness, and a resolution that happens way too fast. I don't care, every horror movie (or movie in general) has it's flaws. There will never be a perfect horror movie, if there is one, I haven't seen it yet. But all I know is James Wan's The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time, and it's been a really long time that a movie has scared me this badly.

10/10 Don't miss this one, it's an amazing theater viewing experience.
  38. Nov 2, 2013
    For the first time in a long time The Conjuring gives horror movies a chance to be good again. Everything from the score, to the cinematography, to a well though out story came together brilliantly to provide for a truly horrifying film.
  39. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the rare films I found truly scary and truly captivating. Well worth the watch for horror lovers. Not sure why reviews have to be fifty characters long...
  40. Oct 31, 2013
    Another run of the mill Hollywood cookie cutter ghost story. Branching stories, several of which never get resolved (The first part of the film had absolutely nothing to do with the whole movie!). Some genuine thrilling moments, but overall fall flat jump scares and screamingly generic exorcisms. This film portrays witchcraft, paganism, atheists and non-belivers in a light of evil, and Christianity as the faith to save the day and the souls of all infidels. A christian propaganda film as much as a horror film. I would rather watch Paranormal Activity over this. Expand
  41. Oct 30, 2013
    I normally don't enjoy horror movies but The Conjuring was fantastic for what it was. This movie really scared me, I watched half of it through my fingers. What makes it even more scary it was based on a real demonologists, they even talked at my local university at the height of their careers. The performances were good for most of the actors and it had a good build up to build suspense and fear. It's been a few days since I've seen it and I still makes me nervous when I trun off the light. Worth watching if you want a good scare! Expand
  42. Oct 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well-crafted movie with several scary scenes, however it revolves so much around horror clichés: remote haunted big house in the forest, a seemingly happy family, a poltergeist that plagues the occupants, dark spooky cellar, kids (females again as usual) that can see and hear things that adults can’t do so, animals “mysteriously” killed, cursed toys/items, happy ending (sorry for the spoiler!) achieved by uttering the right sentimental “password” to the spirit etc.

Although predictable, it is worth seeing if you are horror fans.
  43. Oct 27, 2013
    We actually really enjoyed this movie. It made us a jump a bunch of times and was a great halloween movie. Sure there were some already used plot devices in this horror movie, but overall it was great.
  44. Oct 18, 2013
    Its true that The Conjuring plays on the same tried story of the haunted house, but it, unlike its predecessors plays it right. The films director, Wan, manages to take an overly developed storyline and streamline it into a frightfully believable tale that is shot in a way that removes the predicable scare tactics that plague the horror genre and replace it with well thought schemes and unpredictably eerie scenarios. A film worth watching, even for those averse to the genre. Expand
  45. Oct 14, 2013
    el conjuro, Expediente Warren y entre otros nombres es lo que revoluciona el terror hacia algo mejor, esta pelicula esta bien realizada con unos 20 millones bien aprovechados y con un toque de tipico y unico terror
  46. Oct 10, 2013
    The movie becomes gradually less scary after the two 'ghost hunters' arrive at the haunted house, the mystery should be harder to solve and the ending is too 'noisy'. Still, the first act is excellent, there are several frightening scenes, the direction makes the atmosphere darker and Vera Farmiga is great. Patrick Wilson is good too.
    argonautis.eu
  47. Oct 9, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie...if your a fan of horror movies you will love this movie!!!

Overall a great movie and acting...not to mention lovely spooky atmospheres & sounds...
  48. Oct 5, 2013
    I don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and the characters are well done, and I actually liked the plot of this one, particularly because it was paced very well. Plenty enough scares for the horror film lover, much of which is achieved by slow moments of rising tension, tense anticipation and plain creepy moments. Recommended. Expand
  49. Oct 3, 2013
    While the movie may have some scary visuals, it relies too much on old and cheap scary tricks that the movie keeps repeating, so by the time you've experienced the first scary scenes you already know what's gonna happen in the scenes that follow.
  50. Oct 2, 2013
    It has its moments,But overall its dull and like they tried to hard to make it scary which ruined it in my opinion,Its more gross and disturbing than thrilling or scary,definitely no hair raising moments for me.The worst Paranormal activity was still better than this movie.
  51. Sep 28, 2013
    James Wan is a master. I haven't watched many films that he has made but the conjuring is just epic. The first hour it just builds the whole thing and in the second hour true horror comes in the screen. From the first scene, I knew that this movie is going to make me bricks. And of course I was correct. Something really impressive was the actors and the cinematography of the film. Lili Taylor and Vera Farmiga were stunning. As for the cinematography I doubt that there is going to be a better film with that cinematography. Though it has no originality it gives to a horror fan what really wanted for many years. I don't think that there is going to be such a good horror movie in years. Thumbs up! 9,5/10 Expand
  52. Sep 22, 2013
    Before Christianity and Latin existed how did exorcists exorcise? A lingering question after watching The Conjuring, a film by James Wan.

The age of Scary Movie-esque franchises has turned seeing dead people and being haunted by and evil spirits into mundanely comic events. Sexy vampires, farcical zombies, and ridiculous inside jokes about the world’s end begone! The Conjuring is a big
    horror film that is actually good and scary. Finally!

Still, Director Wan uses all the old horror tricks to build up the suspense: creeping suggestive crescendos in the score, brief uncertain glimpses of unknown beings, and of course, lots of loud and unexpected jolts.

The film opens as the Perron family arrives at their new home, a large fixer-upper in the Rhode Island countryside. As the family starts their life in the new house the haunting becomes apparent. Clocks stop, doors slam, people scream. Terror drives the family to huddle up in the living room where they spend their nights sleeping together. It makes the spirits calmer, they say.

A little too conveniently, famous demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren just so happen to be speaking nearby. Mrs. Perron persuades the Warrens to come inspect the house. Lorrain Warren, a kind of clairvoyant, senses real trouble in the Perron house immediately. Using cameras, Holy magic, and Latin scriptures, the fight begins to save not only the house from destruction, but the people inside it as well.
  53. Sep 19, 2013
    Honestly do not see how it's so critically acclaimed nor why users seem to like it so much. It was a very generic paranormal film that was not scary at all. Sort of disappointing considering it's directed by James Wan and starring Patrick Wilson, who were great together in Insidious.
  54. Sep 15, 2013
    The Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intense to sit back. The only other option was to curl up in my seat while being bombarded with a fantastic story and scare tactics beyond the average possession tale. It's too unique of a horror movie to miss. Expand
  55. Sep 13, 2013
    Great expectations for the title of the film, horror at its highest expression, the situation more chilling is that it is not murder but of spirits. I was scared but with Insidius.
  56. Sep 12, 2013
    same warmed warmed and warmed and re warmed soup made in hollywood. absolutely boring and predictable. I appreciated wilson's performance but nothing else. entire movie is a shameless cliche, redundant till the bother. without any trace of soul. yes, definitely I can say its a ghosts movie. where the ghost is the movie.
  57. Sep 10, 2013
    From the mind of the director of Saw, The Conjuring is a film that finds itself in two minds about whether it should be a strict horror film or a family themed one. Eventually the film stops trying to differentiate and just gives up making for an ending so flat its almost as if it doesn't end. The film follows Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga), a married couple who work as ghost hunters and are sent to the Perron household where Carolyn (Lili Taylor) and Roger Perron (Ron Livingston) are experiencing odd occurrences that are scaring not only them but their five girls. Filled with some great tension, the opening act of the film is almost like it is from another film as it slowly but surely puts you in a state of unease, one that feels like it isn't going to end leading to a moment so terrifying it will affect some of the most seasoned horror watchers. However after that the scares become more predictable and the timing becomes a lot more conventional as the film transitions into a picture about family where there is no real sense of jeopardy, just two families bonding together which could be interesting if The Conjuring wasn't a horror film. The picture decides to avoid a chilling finale in favour of an action one where everything collectively hits the fan but by doing so have rid the the film of any redemptive features as director James Wan's signature style of raising tension to a boiling point is thrown out of the window in favour of a whole lot of confusion. This balls to the wall conclusion lacks the gravitas of his previous works which is a crying shame indeed. Expand
  58. Sep 10, 2013
    I haven't liked a horror movie in a long time and I'm pleased to say that that period is over. The scares were calculated and chilling. The mood was consistent and did not let up. The acting was OK. It felt like I was watching a historical movie. It was cleverly shot. But I have a problem with the ending. It could have been more pessimistic. But given that the director wanted to make something more than just a horror flick, that is understandable. Do not miss this. Expand
  59. Sep 9, 2013
    It's Funny How People Are Saying Negative Things About The Movie... Most Of The Normal People Would Say They Don't Want To Reveal That They Wet Themselves
  60. Sep 6, 2013
    This movie is really awesome, it is not like the typical kind of exorcism and demons movie, it´s like paranormal activity but with real exorcism and really good actors. If you get to watch it on the cinema remember to scream yourself out!!! go with some girls
  61. Sep 3, 2013
    I'm not a huge fan of horror, but I did enjoy James Wan's last movie (Insidious) enough to bring me back for this one. I'm glad I did, because The Conjuring is by far the best movie I've seen this year. It does a great job at maintaining tension throughout almost the entire movie. There are plenty of scares, and none of them feel cheesy or forced. I also loved the way this movie looks: the cinematography is great, and they really captured the era (early 70's). Long story short: Go see it. Expand
  62. Sep 2, 2013
    People in my cinema were laughing just to feel comfortable, this movie will scare you for good, probably one of the best horror movies in the last decade, a must watch for every horror fan out there.
  63. Sep 1, 2013
    I watched this movie with good expectations. I watched the trailer, thought it would be good. It looked creepy, scary and worth my money and time. It was the same person who did Insidious and I know how much those scares packed-a-punch on me. But unfortunately, the only thing I can give this film were the two leading roles of the two paranormal investigators and props. Their acting was good and very believable. The props were quite well done, but it felt as though the directors was like, let's make them look really creepy and ugly, that will scare people. No. I was expecting a good scare and hoping to be genuinely frightened, but no. And I was extremely disappointed. Every "scare" was far too predictable. Like the face would disappear and the character is wondering where the unknown entity has gone and then...oh here I am, right next to you...did you see me coming? Of course we did, who in the world couldn't see it coming. This effect has been used time and time again and yet still we get horror movies that continue to use them as if this gets its audience every time. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion but for big horror fans, this simply is a miss. Sure if it's your first horror movie or one of your first maybe you might feel a little bit of tension and creepiness. I am a big horror fan and I'm sure a lot of the other fans like me will come to the conclusion that The Conjuring brought nothing new to the horror genre.

+Good acting
    +Good effects on props

-Far too predictable
    -Cliché
    -Typical story
    -Slow Pace
    -Scares are very ineffective
    -Brought nothing new to the horror genre

64. Aug 31, 2013
    If you despise dolls but love horror films, watch this one.
    A lot of the time I wasn't on the edge of my seat, but sometimes it just gets you.
    Fairly good in terms of most horrors, falls a bit short on occasion and the constant jump scares is a bit repetitive, but a good watch
    I recommend
  65. Aug 30, 2013
    Combining every memorable element of Horror from a previous film before it, The Conjuring masters at scaring by not allowing you to realize you've been conned into 100 minutes of cheap tricks and bumps in the night. Forcing the religious angle for relative ease in accepting that possession exists, and then use the "Salem witch" as a scapegoat of Baphomet to ride through the black hole plot. Perhaps they should sacrifice this witch to let the film end? Of course, after thuds, shadows, and CGI low budget snores that don't do as much as even muster a chuckle out you for their pathetic sideshow buffoonery. Expand
  66. Aug 30, 2013
    The Conjuring is a horror film of 2013 directed by James Wan, based on the true events in 1971, with Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson and Lili Taylor.
    The film is about one of the most disturbing cases happened to Mr and Mrs Warren, who are called by the Perron family, terrified because for quite some time in their new home is going something really horrible doors that open themselves from
    the sun, the mysterious death their dog and presences that do not leave the family in peace. It's up to Ed Warren and Loranne discover and deal with this threat that will prove to be very powerful and ruthless.
    In addition to surprise the huge success it is having in the world in terms of receipts, The Conjuring surprisingly also for the way in which it was made.
    James Wan has improved a lot with the master socket, and if with Insidious had done a great job with this film is even better. Shots really well made and disturbing chills, atmosphere typical of the '80s movie realized with skill that can give a sense of oppression, sound effects typical of the old horror that can make you stop the heart and actors who play really well .
    From the plot, the film seems to be the typical ghost story but it is not. In fact, the film is also the theme of exorcism (it was the time of The Exorcism of Emily Rose, who was not treated so well the genre) and the family that is not trivialized as happens in other movies.
    In the film, there are also tributes to old horror such as The Exorcist but also films like Prince of Darkness and many others.
    A film that uses the tricks of the old school horror in an original way.
  67. Aug 29, 2013
    A solid horror movie.
    The conjuring is an old school horror movie where the emphasis is not on blood and gore but on psychological tension. It's one of the best film of 2013 so far.
  68. Aug 28, 2013
    The conjuring has a positive opening catching attention of the viewers. The Sound mixing and Sound track is amazing although it is a bit exaggerated. Overall the movie is good and gives viewers a good scare.
  69. Aug 28, 2013
    Definitely one of the best horror movies ever made, mainly because of it's story: this movie was made to tell a story, not to just freak out people. The acting is top notch, and Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga give a wonderful portrayal of the two demonologists. The visual are very effective, with some pretty eerie stuff, and the music blends in perfectly.
    I recommend this to horror movie
    fans, but also who (like me) had lost hope for a good horror movie Expand
  70. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    I went out to the cinema for this one and it was well worth the money, the film was great, had the perfect formula for a good horror movie. The problem for me with films like this is that, they struggle to scare me, I really enjoy horror movies but it's rare I am genuinely caught off guard but, this film just had the perfect formula.

1) A creepy music piece (The Jack in the Box)
    2) A
    creepy item (The doll)
    3) A fear evoking antagonist (You'll see)
  71. Aug 26, 2013
    The Conjuring is a par movie. The sets and effects was pretty well done and it does a good job with the casting. However, the movie really seems to lack something that separates it from other Exorcism type movies. The story is a bit of a contradiction, as you will learn as you go through it. This particularly ties into the lead characters played by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga and their past that the movie reveals. The movie's pacing is also pretty tiring, something that we've seen time and time again since The Exorcism. If you haven't watched The Exorcism, just watch that. That's the "good" version of this. Expand
  72. Aug 26, 2013
    I seen this movie at 3:15 pm when i left left i could not shake this off 4 the whole day, this was the best, most scary, great actors, great story and backstory at some parts and i highly recommend this movie to any horror fan. these are only some of this movies strong points cause it would take to long to write them all. 11 out of 10
  73. Aug 26, 2013
    "The Conjuring" is the scariest movie you will ever see. Everyone in the theater screamed at least three times. This is a true scary horror movie. And it's based on a true story...
  74. Aug 25, 2013
    It's your standard fare "family moves into a house, it's haunted" horror film and that's alright for two reasons 1.) It's done incredibly well and 2.) Number 1 doesn't happen very often.

Forget the stream of garbage that has been hitting the industry lately, The Conjuring is an amazing tale of a family moving into a farm house, only to discover something is lurking in the shadows. A
    film based off a "true story" from two of America's top most paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren.

Everything about this movie is great, the pacing, the atmosphere, the level of anticipation, it's all perfecr and blends well with the amazing story that is being told.

It doesn't matter if what the Warrens said was true or not, it doesn't matter if it's a true story or not, because this is an amazing, rare, masterpiece of a horror film.
  75. Aug 25, 2013
    What started out as a genuine creepy film slowly devolved into your usual run-of-the-mill exorcism later on. The main antagonist is revealed halfway through, ruining the sense of unknown dread and generally playing out the rest of the movie as a drama.
  76. Aug 23, 2013
    I don't understand why people liked this movie. It did not have a single scary moment. The acting was bland and generic, to say the least. The Conjuring is an example of the horror genre is on 21st century life support. What a waste of money!
  77. Aug 20, 2013
    An almost flawless, nostalgic James Wan directed horror flick which may occasionally slide into slightly familiar territory. There are phenomenal performances all round especially from Famiga, who's really coming into her own. The movie has some flaws but becomes an instant horror classic and is arguably Wan's best movie.
  78. Aug 20, 2013
    I never watched the trailers because I knew that were some scary scenes from the movie that was used in the trailers, I wanted to cover my eyes and to experience the scary ride without being spoiled by the trailers. The biggest question that I had when I was about to watch the movie was that would it be scary enough for me to walk away? There were scenes that gave me chills and sometimes made me back away but it wasn't super scary that I hoped it could have been. The movie has good acting and a decent story to make it a chilling story. The thing that really made my skin crawl was that this was based on a true story and the movie did a good job of making that story, into a movie that will appeal to all horror fans. Of course it still has a lot of characters that had short development and some that didn't really have one. Some scenes that could have been removed and that it just made the movie a bit dragging. The movie was still a decent horror movie and I am going to give The Conjuring a 7/10. Expand
  79. Aug 15, 2013
    simon abrams and i rarely agree on films, but hes 100 percent correct this time. The movie was long drawn out and boring on two levels. Drugs and or alcohol will not help because through out the movie is a constant irritating noise that will give you a headache. predictable, long, boring, headache...
  80. Aug 15, 2013
    Now this is a horror movie the best I've seen in 2013 James Wan is a great director He Gives us great gems like Insidious And Saw now this movie has a borrows for some movies but it it worth it in the end the scares come and the come good not quick fire jumps like every 2 seconds I mean you think is coming and some else happens instead. The Cast are great Paddy Wilson was good my advice go see this now you will be forever change Expand
  81. Aug 15, 2013
    If you're looking for a standard horror flick to watch on a night in then this will do the job well enough but for the most part it's the same cliche horror film that's been done to death a hundred times over. There aren't many original ideas to be found here and most of the 'scary' moments are just jack in the box jumps.
    There are quite a few characters in it (a family of seven, two
    ghostbusters, a police sheriff and some guy with cameras) and none of them have that much depth or personality to the point where most of the cast seem unnecessary. Also some of the acting is pretty bad, particularly the father of the family. When the child actors are upstaging the adults then that's not a good sign.
    One thing that I keep seeing in horror films is pianos! Why does every haunted house have a piano? And why to ghosts always feel the need to play it? I want to see a horror film where they find a dusty old Gibson in the basement and in the middle of the night everyone is woken up by the opening riff to sweet child of mine. It might not be scary at least it would be something that hasn't bee done before unlike pretty much everything in this film.
    Overall this might be a good time sink if you're bored at home but if you're a horror fan then this isn't going to stay with you for long.
  82. Aug 15, 2013
    I went to see the movie with my girlfriend and boy did I wish my mommy was with me too. I cant explain to you how creepy the movie was. I was surprised that my arm didn't go numb from my girlfriend squeezing it like a teddy bear. 75% of the movie we spent huddling up and gasping for air If you want to see it I advise you to bring a diaper with you. And dont act big thinking it is just a movie because this movie makes Saw and all other horror movies look like childs play. Expand
  83. Aug 14, 2013
    Being a horror film fanatic, The Conjuring was a must see from the coming attractions, it had a vintage, nostalgic feel of such classic horror pictures including Poltergeist and The Exorcism, with some great people involved, both in front of and behind the camera. The film delivered in all the aspects it was set to deliver and then some. The Conjuring never really TERRIFIED me, as most of the really good scares were shown in the trailer, but it was effective. The Conjuring was a thrill ride from the opening scene in which we get a little backstory with the story of a haunted doll, to the very end, where, well, that's for you to find out. The lead actors, a couple played by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, both played their roles very well, and director James Wan, previously known for his involvement in Insidious and the Saw franchise, lead the actors to be successful. The script was something I had a bit of a problem with yes, there were some very effective scares and in a horror movie, that's the primary target. Yet, this film is pretty much your typical cookie-cutter haunted house story, with some good acting and decent thrills. All in all, The Conjuring is a fresh addition to the very stale horror genre. Expand
  84. Aug 14, 2013
    In the spirit of classic horror flicks, The Conjuring is eerily breathtaking and possibly the scariest movie of the year. It plays with the atmosphere so well with lingering shots, clever lighting manipulation, wicked music and timely scare. Not much CG is involved as it practically uses simple tricks to its amazing potential, it's surprising how effective they can be. Screenplay are done so well, at many occasions it felt as if the theater is frozen at the sight of stunningly ominous scenes. The director, James Wan from Insidious, crafts the movie brilliantly to the point of making these entities and people who are abused by them seemingly real.

Story follows Warrens couple, acclaimed demonologists who attempt to help Perron family as they battle their demonic invaders. Roger and Carolyn Perron with their five children move into a rural home where they are constantly being abused by ghosts of the past. Warrens eventually volunteer to help the family despite their own plaguing problem. The premise is simple, but it is executed with excellence. Characters are interestingly engaging, especially the younger girls, they convey the terror pretty well and the way camera idles around them makes it even more unsettling.

There is little modern influence on the movie, everything looks very archaic, and it's not just limited in the retro setting, but the overall nuance feels much like traditional western horror. The terror works fantastically with whispering ambiance, the slight display of other rooms around the camera angle and how the shadows enchantingly move about. Cinematography looks intentionally old, although it flutters in such precision you'll be involuntarily captivated into searching that strange dark corner where something might just appear.

Its scare utilizes some jump scare as well, but it is not cheap. The director builds up tension masterfully just by tilting the camera or lingering a few more seconds for specific scene. The result is nothing less than a thrill, I found myself shivering in some instances. Soundtracks adds to the horror even more, its hauntingly and somewhat choir-like mumble or inexplicable screeching is immensely frightening, making crawling noises of something that lurks uninvited. Everything is choreographed meticulously without resorting to blood and gore, albeit there is little seeping here.

It's nice to see the old vibe of horror makes its return, James Wan is a talented director and his antique style is remarkably fresh. The main protagonist, Patrick Wilson, who is also involved in Insidious, is looking very comfortable in this genre. I'm excited to see the sequels in near future, but for now The Conjuring will chill your spine delightfully.
  85. Aug 12, 2013
    There are some scary moments, but they're mostly jump scares that don't have a lasting affect. The horror fell short for me, but good acting, particularly Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, prevented it from being a bad movie. Not terrible, but not particularly great. I've seen a lot of better horror movies, but I've seen a lot that are worse. It was par for the course. Watchable, but nothing that hasn't been seen before. Expand
  86. Aug 11, 2013
    Trust me you've seen it before booming sound effects, loud screams and cheap attempted jump scares does not cut it. It's using a supposed true story and attempting a cheap cash grab for those expecting to walk out pleased.
  87. Aug 10, 2013
    Now this is a scary movie. It may not be an original movie, but it succeeds at scary the living crap out of people! Overall, The horror genre is back! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  88. Aug 9, 2013
    This is the first movie to make me shout at the theaters.The story is great at the same time creepy.Not many horror movies I watch is that scary.I proclaim this movie as the scariest movie I've ever watched.
  89. Aug 9, 2013
    i love horror movies, this film make me scary but i love it, vote 10 Score for this film everyone. Saw and Insidious is also fantastic too, I really love Insidious and i can't wait until this film show. but why Patrick Wilson really interested in acting horror movies. i knew Leigh Whannell in saw, and now he come back with Insidious. cause i live in vietnam so my english because I live in Vietnam so my english vocabulary is not so good if you do not know what I said, then I'm sorry Expand
  90. Aug 9, 2013
    This movie is awesome. The acting is believable and the scares are done really well. They use alot of jump scares in this movie but they use them in the right way, they build up to what you think is a jump scare but it comes from a different direction and scares the crap out of you. Some may find the ending a bit silly but the whole movie was so entertaining I really didn't care.

If
    your a horror fan or your looking for a movie to make you fill your underwear this movie is for you. Expand
  91. Aug 8, 2013
    Best horror movie maybe in last ten years or more. A really good horror movie and enjoyed it very much. Great direction, great script and obviously very scary.
  92. Aug 7, 2013
    My GF loves scary movies i use too as a child but i find none of them scary anymore, i thought i grew out of it as a man...until i watched the conjuring it was actually scary first movie i' can say actually had scary moments in a long time worth a 9 rating just for that fact i would of gave it a 10 but the story was not very original but at least the scares were
  93. Aug 6, 2013
    the plot is something we all seen before but unlike many other movies with a similar plot to this, this movie does everything right and hits every scary note
  94. Aug 5, 2013
    The Conjuring was certainly one of the better releases from the horror genre in the last decade. It was truly terrifying right from the beginning leading to the insane ending. It will make you laugh then 3 seconds later shudder. James Wan really knows how to mess with your emotions. The main reason I liked this film is it is indeed like other demon/possession types of films in certain ways but with the conjuring you are also being told a great story, unlike other mindless films (The Devil Inside, The Last Exorcism) the conjuring has a great plot. Only bone I had to pick with it was due to the fact I work at a theater I had seen every preview there was for this movie and I saw a lot of the creepier moments coming due to many of them being in the previews but other than that no major issues. It was a great classic horror film, highly recommended in my book. 8/10 Expand
  95. Aug 5, 2013
    Most horror flicks these days aren't scary at all. I can't say that at all about The Conjuring. Old school scares and great acting and story combine to make this one of the most terrifying horror movies I've seen. The soundtrack was extremely well done as well. At times the level of suspense was almost unbearable. And all throughout the director never lost focus. This movie ranks right up there with the classics. If you love a good scare DON'T miss The Conjuring. Expand
  96. Aug 5, 2013
    So far this movie is the best horror movie I ever watched! It prevented me from sitting nicely in every scary scene...I cant even differentiate between the screams audiences and real movie scream effects! Best horror movie indeed. Clap Clap!
  97. Aug 4, 2013
    Wow! One of the best Horror films I've seen, let alone this year. From start to finish it draws you in and you are hooked! Such a creative idea and I've never seen this type of Horror film done this well before, because many have attempted and failed. It's creepy atmosphere is done well because it builds from being pretty calm to extremely creepy towards the end. There are jumps galore and many moments you can't help but look away! Overall a solid Horror film and one of the best I've seen! Expand
  98. Aug 4, 2013
    I have not ever that I recall screamed in theater... until I watched the Conjuring. For three nights, I felt anxious to turn out my light before getting into bed. The last time I felt like that was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The Exorcist gets attention for being novel, but seriously, I watched that when I was 4 (but not deeply set into religion). The effect did not last passed the credit roll. The Conjuring used (mostly) simpler tactics than pea soup and cross-raping of a child's vulva to pull fear and disgust from my usually strong psyche. Expand
  99. Aug 4, 2013
    The Conjuring has genuinely terrifying set piece moments, is decently shot and can by no means be described as a bad film. However, it falls into the trap that oh so many horrors before it has done by relying on excessive loud noise and hackneyed clichés to maintain attention throughout.

For these reasons, it cannot be placed in the upper echelons of horror movie classics, but it does
    deserve a solid place in the second tier. Expand
  100. Aug 4, 2013
    Based on a true story "The Conjuring" provides consistent scares throughout the entire film with interesting fleshed out characters and scenes superbly directed by James Wan. If you are a fan of any of James Wan's former work or of scary movies in general I would HIGHLY recommend this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 3, 2013
    Wan’s film is a sturdily built supernatural chiller, with next-to-no digital effects or gore, and it delivers its scares with a breezy lack of urgency.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Jul 25, 2013
    I'd be shocked if we see a better horror film in 2013.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Jul 19, 2013
    The Conjuring is as toothless as it is because it's two different kinds of boring. The film's plot is explained exhaustively whenever loud noises aren't blaring, and random objects aren't teasingly leaping out at you from the corner of your eye.