6.8

1. Apr 26, 2011
    I saw this film five days ago and I'm still haunted by the quiet power of this engaging film. Redford's careful and patient direction magically allows the film to take its time without ever feeling boring or stale. James McAvoy continues to grow into a passionate lead actor and Robin Wright should immediately jump to the top of a short list for a potential Best Supporting Actress nomination for this understated performance. However, the REAL star of this gorgeous looking film is Newton Thomas Sigel for his amazing cinematography which should garner him his first Oscar nomination for his work here.I don't know how he did it, but the muted colors, simulated natural lighting, and fluid camera movement gives the impeccably detailed sets, costumes, and make-up an uncanny look of historical realism that has lingered in my mind for days now. This is one that I look forward to seeing see a second time, and will be buying for my collection once it comes out on Blu-Rayâ Expand
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    This was one of the few movies I was looking forward to in 2011, and it delivered. Great story, great acting, and top notch directing make this one of the few 'good' movies of 2011. I highly recommend it!
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent movie! Redford does a good job of presenting the story in a way that captures your interest and uses the Civil War time frame to convey the clear message that when military tribunals are used to trample on basic constitutional rights everyone loses. Robin Wright and James McEvoy did an excellent job. I found the movie thoroughly engrossing and powerful.

1. Reviewed by: Liam Lacey
    Apr 29, 2011
    Redford hasn't moved too far here from an earlier political-thriller template: With its skulduggery, late-night meetings and the contemptuous political cabal out to thwart justice, The Conspirator can be thought of as "All the President's Men – The Lincoln Edition."
  2. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Apr 21, 2011
    Redford methodically presents the injustices piled on Surratt and suggests what might have prompted her stoicism. But James D. Solomon's script is often flat, perhaps in a misguided effort to be stately.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Apr 16, 2011
    This methodical courtroom drama is charged with impassioned performances and an unimpeachable liberal message. But its stodgy emphasis on telling over showing will limit its reach to Civil War buffs and self-selecting older viewers.