7.8

1. Aug 29, 2014
    Whether one slices it as an intense thriller, a tragic war film, or even a heartfelt human drama, "The Crying Game" is still a fantastic piece of emotional storytelling.
  2. Sep 5, 2014
    There are not many films out there that have transgender people within their framework.There have been a few more in recent years but to be honest, to me they look about as unappealing as movies can get. Jaye Davidson is intriguing in TCG on a number of levels-his character poses the question probably quite unintentionally-is transgender all about sexual arrogance or is it about something else. We are not sure how to interpret Jaye's character or how to interpret Jaye for that matter either. That type of thing is a common effect pertaining to the subject of transgender in cinema in general-another transgender person-Caroline Cossey wrote a autobiography book called My Story where she alternately describes getting a sex change to consummate a monogamous relationship and then goes on to say that after the operation she went to Italy to 'have some fun' implying fun and games with multiple partners & that there was nobody special in her life at the time of her operation. To me, that is sexually ambiguous. Might sound like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but there is nothing I hate more than not being able to pin down where someone is coming from. This movie is regarded as masterpiece of modern cinema noir but to me It kind of just exists, like a potato salad. Expand

Rea and Davidson are incomparably good in an exceptional film that is by turns darkly funny and deeply affecting. Though Jordan's control sometimes falters, it's a small price to pay for his daring.
    One of a very few films that wants to do something unexpected and challenging, and succeeds even beyond its ambitions. See this film. Then shut up about it.
  3. Reviewed by: Clifford Terry