The Crying Game

7.7

1. Grog
    Dec 19, 2003
    I was as surprised to see this movie rated this high as stephen rea was when he found the big surprise in the crackerjack box ( if you get my drift ).
  2. ZiggyStardust
    Nov 13, 2002
    I'm not sure why someone would want to watch it more than once. Personally I found it quite boring throughout. Well except for one memorable part.
  3. AngelaMagic
    Jun 9, 2003
    Buckin' frilliant !!
  4. BenW.
    Nov 2, 2003
    Deliciously deceptive, in more ways than one!
  5. SvetlaB.
    Jun 14, 2003
    Perfect plot, perfect play and perfect music! Once seen, it keeps haunting you for days nad weeks.
  6. DonR.
    Aug 7, 2005
    Slightly dated now, but nevertheless a superb film that ambitiously attempts to embrace several major genres and succeeds in doing so with aplomb. Definitely watch this film, a high point of British cinema.
  7. BlancoA.
    Jul 2, 2002
    One of my all-time favorites. Forrest Whitaker is amazing in this film...especially the story about the Scorpion & the Frog. What an excellent film!
  8. PatC.
    Dec 5, 2003
    Once again we see the critics overrate a movie for politically correct sensitivity. How malleabe does one have to be to follow along when a movie that commences as a riveting expose of the terrorist mind morphs into a brazen solicitation of empathy for the gender-bent. Content aside, this movie is unique, well paced and edited. It deserves credit for its attention-grabbing and Once again we see the critics overrate a movie for politically correct sensitivity. How malleabe does one have to be to follow along when a movie that commences as a riveting expose of the terrorist mind morphs into a brazen solicitation of empathy for the gender-bent. Content aside, this movie is unique, well paced and edited. It deserves credit for its attention-grabbing and thought-provoking qualities. Expand
  9. RoyM.
    Apr 24, 2005
    My favourite movie.
  10. AaronG.
    Jan 27, 2005
    Quite possibly the best movie of the last twenty years. However, be warned: if you are "red state" in sentiment and insensitive to the idea of moral relativism (a terrorist with a heart, an untraditional love affair), then you will not "get" this movie.
  11. enerof
    Jan 23, 2007
    Probably because the performance of Jaye Davidson which gives kick on the head and gaps!!! Without him, it will run flatly and forgettable. Salute for Stephen Rea, Jaye and Nell. You're awesome!
  12. Feb 19, 2016
    The Crying Game is a very well made film from Neil Jordan and though it is quite slow at times, the film's thought provoking offers on race, gender, nationality, and sexuality, are too good to pass up. Even if you do not like where the film goes, it is hard to admit it does not get those gears in your head to spin a bit. Stephen Rea, Forest Whitaker, and Jaye Davidson, are all phenomenalThe Crying Game is a very well made film from Neil Jordan and though it is quite slow at times, the film's thought provoking offers on race, gender, nationality, and sexuality, are too good to pass up. Even if you do not like where the film goes, it is hard to admit it does not get those gears in your head to spin a bit. Stephen Rea, Forest Whitaker, and Jaye Davidson, are all phenomenal in a film that covers its topics with great sensitivity and respect throughout. Some call this a psychological thriller or a mystery film. If we are being honest, I have no idea how this is possible. It is not really mysterious nor is it a thriller. To me, it was more of a romance film set during the troubles, which adds a flair of war and some intrigue, sure, but no mystery. Maybe they mean mysterious romance? I do not know, but regardless, The Crying Game is a very well made film with serious heart and passion that makes you think about the issues it raises. Expand
  13. Aug 29, 2014
    Whether one slices it as an intense thriller, a tragic war film, or even a heartfelt human drama, "The Crying Game" is still a fantastic piece of emotional storytelling.
  14. Sep 5, 2014
    There are not many films out there that have transgender people within their framework.There have been a few more in recent years but to be honest, to me they look about as unappealing as movies can get. Jaye Davidson is intriguing in TCG on a number of levels-his character poses the question probably quite unintentionally-is transgender all about sexual arrogance or is it about somethingThere are not many films out there that have transgender people within their framework.There have been a few more in recent years but to be honest, to me they look about as unappealing as movies can get. Jaye Davidson is intriguing in TCG on a number of levels-his character poses the question probably quite unintentionally-is transgender all about sexual arrogance or is it about something else. We are not sure how to interpret Jaye's character or how to interpret Jaye for that matter either. That type of thing is a common effect pertaining to the subject of transgender in cinema in general-another transgender person-Caroline Cossey wrote a autobiography book called My Story where she alternately describes getting a sex change to consummate a monogamous relationship and then goes on to say that after the operation she went to Italy to 'have some fun' implying fun and games with multiple partners & that there was nobody special in her life at the time of her operation. To me, that is sexually ambiguous. Might sound like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but there is nothing I hate more than not being able to pin down where someone is coming from. This movie is regarded as masterpiece of modern cinema noir but to me It kind of just exists, like a potato salad. Expand
  15. Mar 21, 2016
    Guys, I dare you to do something. Don't cry during the Crying Game. Let's bring in the entire audience and watch this one on our dares and try to survive the entire movie without crying.

Rea and Davidson are incomparably good in an exceptional film that is by turns darkly funny and deeply affecting. Though Jordan's control sometimes falters, it's a small price to pay for his daring.
    One of a very few films that wants to do something unexpected and challenging, and succeeds even beyond its ambitions. See this film. Then shut up about it.
  3. Chicago Tribune