7.2

1. SamS.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Get ready to cry. This movie deserves more than a 70, proving that the "critics" are not always correct.
  2. RobertA.
    Jan 30, 2009
    It was very uplifting and had a moral to the story, which is unusual nowadays.
  3. RonD.
    Visually breathtaking.
  4. JimL.
    Jan 1, 2009
    Engaging, moving. Terrific soundtrack.
  5. CarlyU.
    Jan 3, 2009
    My best film for 2008. david fincher is genius. cate is wondergul actress.
  6. AnnW.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Found this film to be extremely touching and very creative. Brad Pitt is superb.
  7. AlwinD.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Magical! best of 2008 hands down.
  8. GemmaE.
    Dec 26, 2008
    The acting, the themes, the cinematography, the meaning of life and death - this film has it all down pact in the most beautiful and perfect way imaginable.
  9. bobbob
    Dec 26, 2008
    Easy to criticize this movie for length , sentimentality and a likeness to Forrest Gump but truth be told this is a finely crafted work of art with brilliant performances from an all star cast. Movie of the year for me.
  10. VinnieG.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Great movie. Touching story. Fantastic acting. joy to watch. Must see for movie lovers.
  11. anne8
    Dec 29, 2008
    Amazing movie. instant classic.
  12. R.Lopez
    Dec 29, 2008
    Exceptional!!!The curious case of Benjamin Button is a truly amazing dedication to life and how you should live it. David Fincher's amazing drama tells the story of a man named Benjamin Button, Benjamin isn't like other kids his age. In fact he's like nothing the world has ever seen before, He was a man born old, and as time went by Benjamin started to get younger and Exceptional!!!The curious case of Benjamin Button is a truly amazing dedication to life and how you should live it. David Fincher's amazing drama tells the story of a man named Benjamin Button, Benjamin isn't like other kids his age. In fact he's like nothing the world has ever seen before, He was a man born old, and as time went by Benjamin started to get younger and younger while the people around him get older and die. The curious case of Benjamin Button is a celebration about the meaning of living life to it's fullest. It's an inspiration to all people young and old that just because your getting older doesn't mean you can't live life like there's no tomorrow. I very,very highly recommended this truly exceptional film. Expand
  13. blankalibi
    Jan 17, 2009
    Just so good. Great acting and an interesting story.
  14. AntfromUk
    Jan 27, 2009
    One of the best movies I've ever seen. I've read some of the comments below and wonder if they saw the same movie as me (Helena O....pass the bong on, you're not supposed to keep it!). Its an absolute masterpiece, a triumph of movie making, and a worthy winner of Best Picture if ever there was one. All thats left to say... is go see it.
  15. maxj
    Feb 6, 2009
    An amazing, magical, sad, heartwarming and a classic piece of theater. the best movie i've ever seen in my entire life. every bit is pure freshness and absaloutley perfect in every way.
  16. FilipeM
    Jun 8, 2009
    Excellent/Superb/Fantastic film, takes you places.
  17. AndrewG.
    Aug 7, 2009
    Such a Magical movie, with a great cast, and an inspiring and emotional concept. Beautifully crafted, it deserved best picture.
  18. JordanH.
    Dec 25, 2008
    I thought this movie was very well done. I don't feel that the length was a burden at all because It was time that was needed to develop the characters and the relationships that Benjamin had with them. I feel this movie was a very powerful and moving one that is the best I have seen in quite some time.
  19. LewisP.
    Dec 26, 2008
    Brilliant! This is a masterpiece! So beautiful to look at and so deeply moving and profound. Pitt's best performance.
  20. DF.
    Dec 28, 2008
    Best film of the year. I loved every second of the film and didn't feel the length was a problem at all. I could have watched a five hour cut of the film. Brad Pitt delivers an amazing performance and the cinematography was jaw-dropping. David Fincher has really showed us that he is capable of all sides of the spectrum.
  21. ryan
    Dec 29, 2008
    Excellent film! beautifully made and acted... entertaining and captivating for its entire 2 hr. 45 min length.
  22. KimberlyS
    Dec 29, 2008
    Not only one of the best movies of this year... Probably the best movie I have ever seen. Brad Pitt has never been better! His facial reactions and lyrical southern timing makes this movie a success. I believed every minute.
  23. YeahBaz
    Dec 30, 2008
    Very very Forest Gump, but I say that in the best possible respect! One of my films for the year.
  24. TakM.
    Jan 17, 2009
    Benjamin Button was pure genius. Beautiful story, Funny jokes, and amazing characters all make this a stellar movie.
  25. EvanL.
    Jan 21, 2009
    The most amazingly elegant and subtle movie I have ever seen. Never have I watched a movie so rich with message and real life truths. Completely mesmerizing.
  26. StanT.
    Jan 24, 2009
    As an actor, and director of plays I deem this movie the most beautiful film ever, ever ever, made. Acting was superb, most beautiful photography, sound, special effects, scenes, make-up, costumes....if it doesn't win every Oscar category something is definitely wrong with Hollywood
  27. PhilipY.
    Jan 24, 2009
    Original, creative, great movie.
  28. TomM.
    Apr 25, 2009
    Brilliant and classy movie. ignore the 0 votes cast by ignorant people who would rather be saturated with violence or 'transformers' or whatnot. how bout this, you people go back to watching street fighter the legend of chun li and stop knocking this brilliantly made film.
  29. Matt
    Dec 27, 2008
    An extraordinary work of fantasy from start to finish.
  30. JoeP.
    Dec 27, 2008
    This movie will touch your heart in a way that few films ever have. It is truly an epic masterpiece and deserves to be recognized at the Golden Globes and the Oscars.
  31. EvanS.
    Dec 27, 2008
    A beautiflully filmed, paced and acted fantasy. Critics of it pretend their too sophisticated to be drawn in to its majesty but they're only cheating themselves. Don't let them hold you back from the most enthralling piece of filmaking in several years.
  32. DanH.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Truly a masterpiece. Aside from the spectacular special effects, David Fincher paints a vivid storyline filled with layer upon layers of depth. Eric Roth adapts F. Scott Fitzgerald's short story into a truly profound movie about life, death, and of course, love. Acting from Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett are great, and the cinematography is phenomenal. Definitely my favorite movie of 2008.
  33. ShadC.
    Dec 28, 2008
    Very Touching at points, although slightly kitschy more than made up for by the cinematography and musical score.
  34. Oct 5, 2010
    David Fincher has transformed a strange plotline of a man who ages backwards into an epic love story, and it is the most touching and beautiful film I've ever seen. You forget the fictional storyline because the direction and storytelling is so flawless. It is a very different look on life, as they say in the film, "Sometimes to understand life you have to look at it backwards". The actingDavid Fincher has transformed a strange plotline of a man who ages backwards into an epic love story, and it is the most touching and beautiful film I've ever seen. You forget the fictional storyline because the direction and storytelling is so flawless. It is a very different look on life, as they say in the film, "Sometimes to understand life you have to look at it backwards". The acting is superb, the make-up and effects flawless and the length of the film goes unnoticed until you look at your watch when the film is over. An absolute masterpiece, and the best film of 2008. Expand
  35. Apr 25, 2011
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is perfect in all ways. Never has a film made me so emotionally attached to the characters. This film is very much deserving of every little award it receives, and also the ones it didn't. The simplicity of a love stoy told in such perfection is outstanding. The directing, cinematography, acting, and every part else should have been nominated for anThe Curious Case of Benjamin Button is perfect in all ways. Never has a film made me so emotionally attached to the characters. This film is very much deserving of every little award it receives, and also the ones it didn't. The simplicity of a love stoy told in such perfection is outstanding. The directing, cinematography, acting, and every part else should have been nominated for an acedmy award. The story follows a person who was abandoned by his family, left to be cared by a nursing home. He was born, and he started to age- but backwards. A women named Queenie (Taraji P. Henson) takes him up and names him Benjamin. Once a little older, he meets a young girl named Daisy (Cate Blanchett). He falls in in love with her at first sight. Ands the life of Benjamin Button begins. The avast ray of characters through out the whole film impresses me a lot. I enjoyed meeting the new characters and how they affected Benjamin's life. They always brought warmth and happiness to the audience, telling them that someone is always there for you. The film begins and ends fantastically. It's like no other story ever told. Next, I move on to the acting. This is Brad Pitts best acting ever. Never has he known the character so well and portrayed him with so much emotion. He knows what he's doing as an actor now, and if he keeps this up, he's going to start rolling the Oscar gold in pretty soon. Cate Blanchett was well acted, although we didn't get as much screen time of herself than I would've liked. But that's because the story revolved around Benjamin, not Daisy. So I'm glad we did bet more Pitt than Blanchett. Next, I move on to the visual effects and make up. Basically I'm mentioning them because they played such a big role in this film. The makeup used to make Brad Pitt look older were spectacular. Especially when they used a smaller actor for the body and stuck Brad Pitt's head on top. Amazing. David Fincher's job as a director was spectacular, as well. Every scene he made, he took and changed it into a masterpiece. Never have I seen a movie this well directed. In the end, the message sent in the film, as it is quoted from the film, "We are meant to lose the people we love. How else would we know how important they are?"
  36. May 16, 2011
    the best film of 2008 hands down. brilliantly directed by david fincher, flawlessly acted especially by its lead actors - brad and cate, from its musical score to cinematography, production design, make up, and its incredibly outstanding visual effects what more could anyone ask for but to witness and enjoy this masterful film.
  37. May 21, 2011
    This movie. I don't know where to begin. Its not just Forrest Gump without the personality. It may be impersonal but thats in part because of the extreme technical quality. I hated this movie the first time I saw it because I missed something and only saw how long it was and how it dragged in many places. Upon second look, I fell in love with it. It has so much charm and magic. Pitt actedThis movie. I don't know where to begin. Its not just Forrest Gump without the personality. It may be impersonal but thats in part because of the extreme technical quality. I hated this movie the first time I saw it because I missed something and only saw how long it was and how it dragged in many places. Upon second look, I fell in love with it. It has so much charm and magic. Pitt acted his role with the perfect amount of humility to make him the character he needed to be. I suggest anybody who hated it the first time take a second look. Expand
  38. Apr 26, 2012
    This is one of the greatest movies in existence. It's two hours and forty-six minutes of an eerily creative movie that makes you view life differently after it's finished. You won't feel the same after the screen goes black. A pure masterpiece.
  39. Jan 31, 2012
    Beautiful movie, you kinda tear up at the end inside. It makes you soft. Very soft. Watch this with your family or gf, but not your bros. Unless you want to feel a homo moment with your bros.
  40. May 27, 2013
    Probably Mick LaSalle, from San Francisco Chronicle, wouldn't recognize drama even if it danced in front of him without pants. This is the most dramatic and touching movie ever, full of surprises of a whole life story, with all the emotional events that could and couldn't happen.
  41. GregoryR.
    Jan 3, 2009
    Great movie. Visually stunning, moving, and a great adaptation to a bland short story that works itself into a masterful screenplay. Director, David Fincher, does an excellent job with atmosphere, New Orleans is shown in new light. Great movie, one of the best of 2008.
  42. DannyW.
    Jan 4, 2009
    WOW! This was a great movie! I saw it with PGA and loved it! The end was so sad and you can tell what will happen to him so when it all comes together at the end it is so sad. But it is left with a giant ? so thats why I gave it a 9. I highly recommend it!
  43. EmmaN
    Jan 5, 2009
    See this movie. Kate Blanchett and Brad Pitt's performances are amazing. I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish.
  44. TonyB.
    Jan 6, 2009
    Extremely well-acted, meticulously designed, beautifully photographed, meaningful and quite moving, a mature film for mature adults...who could ask for anything more?
  45. AdrianV
    Feb 17, 2009
    Thank god, great story, nicely told ,and great acting ...as close as u can get to perfection. I am sick of that overwhelming action just for the sake of it, they did great to keep their feet on the ground as they did.
  46. James
    Jun 4, 2009
    Wonderful movie because it is not a ordinary story. Acting was great,movie sets terrific Comparable to Forrest Gump..
  47. JLR.
    Dec 29, 2008
    Great movie... this generation has found its Forrest Gump.
  48. MargaretM.
    Dec 30, 2008
    I thoroughly enjoyed the movie! I was completely captivated by the story and found the "pearls of wisdom" scattered throughout the narration very thought provoking.
  49. PatG.
    Jan 1, 2009
    This movie is intriguing and thought-provoking. And I barely felt the three-hour length. We've all seen dozens of movies about a long life coming to an end. Somehow, seeing one in reverse casts new lights on loss and love and the search for meaning. Very interesting! I do recommend it.
  50. jessD.
    Jan 14, 2009
    I enjoyed the film. Outstanding Performances and the story which is always interesting and while long moves along at a leisurely pace detailing Ben Button life from birth to death in age reversal. Excellent photography, music score and a great job from Director Fincher.
  51. JW
    Jan 15, 2009
    A great movie. Some sections of the movie are a bit slow and the hospital scenes are awkward. Yet the positives far out weigh the negative. This is a very well paced 3 hr moves, about life, death and the love espierienced within.
  52. TyW,
    Jan 17, 2009
    Seriously, this was a great film. It wasn't like "gump" (where on earth do the "experts" get that?) And it's feature length. Remember No Country for old Men? It was 2 and a half hours. So was There Will be blood. And Assasination of Jesse James. It's called a MOVIE people. It's supposed to be long. This movie was well made, well acted, and well done. The story was Seriously, this was a great film. It wasn't like "gump" (where on earth do the "experts" get that?) And it's feature length. Remember No Country for old Men? It was 2 and a half hours. So was There Will be blood. And Assasination of Jesse James. It's called a MOVIE people. It's supposed to be long. This movie was well made, well acted, and well done. The story was weaved through the eyes of a dying woman (much more like Titanic than Forrest Gump) and it was an emotional roller-coaster throughout. Honestly the best movie of the year, and I highly recommend it to anyone with any taste in good cinema. Expand
  53. PaulF.
    Jan 19, 2009
    Any movie who can make Brad pit look either really really old, or even more impressive, move young and handsome than he already is has really accomplished something. Whoever did the make up for this movie really knew what they were doing. When old Button really looked nearly bald he did so without any cheesy looking head mask lines or anything. It looked totally realistic. But really the Any movie who can make Brad pit look either really really old, or even more impressive, move young and handsome than he already is has really accomplished something. Whoever did the make up for this movie really knew what they were doing. When old Button really looked nearly bald he did so without any cheesy looking head mask lines or anything. It looked totally realistic. But really the masterpiece of the movie was the story itself. It was very original and thought provoking. It really made me think about my own life and what it means to age and face death. Also the qualities of who we really are inside and not only our outside appearances were really exemplified by this movie. In short this was not simply entertainment but something that could nourish the intellect and soul if one was receptive its wisdoms. If the movie had any faults, and I can only think of two, is that it was way too long especially for this culture of short attention spans, and that it rushed over the younger years. The movie seemed to spend forever in his elder and mid years. Basically the movie was so centric on Brad pit it did not allow the chance for other actors to really shine. Not that I have anything against Brad Pitt who did a wonderful Job in the movie. Brad Pitt is an actor you want to hate because he's too darn good looking and in way too many movies. But honestly is really good at what he does. Despite the few minor flaws this movie is a real gem in a sea of superficial movies meant solely to entertain and then be forgotten for the next distraction. Truly The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was a 1 in a 100 movies you only get to see if you are paying attention. Expand
  54. DanaM.
    Jan 5, 2009
    This is a film defintely worth seeing. Acting was excellent and well worth the ten bucks to see it. It is a long film but did not feel the time was excessive. It's one of those films you want to see again to catch all the nuances from the earlier scenes. Go see it!
  55. ChristianP.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Lovely. Fincher's a master.
  56. bradb
    May 15, 2009
    I think this film is easier to appreciate when you have experienced many years of life. I'm 50, and felt very comfortable with where the film was going and what it was trying to say - I absolutely loved it, and I don't say that very often about a movie, and I see lot's of em. Alexandre Desplat's score was amazing! If you are under 35, there is less chance of an I think this film is easier to appreciate when you have experienced many years of life. I'm 50, and felt very comfortable with where the film was going and what it was trying to say - I absolutely loved it, and I don't say that very often about a movie, and I see lot's of em. Alexandre Desplat's score was amazing! If you are under 35, there is less chance of an appreciation. Top 5 on my list of films for 2008! Expand
  57. RyanF
    Jun 8, 2009
    This movie was very well made. A lot of my friends agree that it was extremely boring, but that's just because they lack poetic patience and creativity. If you like a good love story and you think the Notebook is slightly generic and un-original you'll like this film. It is very unique but still is very emotional. It seems dumb that he is old to begin and gets younger as the This movie was very well made. A lot of my friends agree that it was extremely boring, but that's just because they lack poetic patience and creativity. If you like a good love story and you think the Notebook is slightly generic and un-original you'll like this film. It is very unique but still is very emotional. It seems dumb that he is old to begin and gets younger as the movies progresses but it is by no means a pointless film. I highly recommend it and I don't normally like Brad Pitt. Expand
  58. KathleenG.
    Dec 26, 2008
    Just an amazing movie. I laughed and cried, and left still under its spell. There were interesting historical references ala "Forrest Gump" - yet the story was so absorbing, the references were only passing. Pitt was AMAZING, and Blanchett very convincing. This must get Oscar nods!
  59. AnnB.
    Dec 28, 2008
    Well told story with excellent acting by the whole cast. This could be Pitt's best outing yet. Cate Blanchett, Taraji P. Henson, and Julia Ormond shine as well. The story of Benjamin Button starts out with Benjamin being dropped off by his distraught father at an old age home, where 'Queenie' (Taraji P. Henson) adopts him as her own even though Benjamin looks like an eighty Well told story with excellent acting by the whole cast. This could be Pitt's best outing yet. Cate Blanchett, Taraji P. Henson, and Julia Ormond shine as well. The story of Benjamin Button starts out with Benjamin being dropped off by his distraught father at an old age home, where 'Queenie' (Taraji P. Henson) adopts him as her own even though Benjamin looks like an eighty year old man in a baby's body. It is at the home that he meets up with Daisy (Kate Blanchett) who is the granddaughter of one of the residents. The story is about Benjamin's journey as he ages backward and the love story of Daisy and Benjamin. A wonderful way to spend 2 1/2 hours. Expand
  60. JamesS.
    Dec 28, 2008
    Loved everything about this film... story, acting, cinematography, art direction, editing, music... one for the ages.
  61. DouglasG.
    Dec 30, 2008
    Magical storytelling through film; excellent casting, especially Blanchett. A tad long, but overall well worth every minute.
  62. LevS.
    Jan 19, 2009
    Beautiful and moving film about the 'human condition,' proving that cinema can be more than just distraction. Yes, it's three hours long but I could've watched it for another three (after a short bathroom break).
  63. EvanB.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Fantastic movie - one of the top 3 movies I have seen all year! Benjamin Button had my attention for the full 3 hours! It reminded me in many ways of the movie Forrest Gump. You genuinely will have in interest in this man's life. Brad Pitt's performance is flawless. I saw this movie a couple of days ago, and I'm still thinking about it. It has such a great plot-a man aging Fantastic movie - one of the top 3 movies I have seen all year! Benjamin Button had my attention for the full 3 hours! It reminded me in many ways of the movie Forrest Gump. You genuinely will have in interest in this man's life. Brad Pitt's performance is flawless. I saw this movie a couple of days ago, and I'm still thinking about it. It has such a great plot-a man aging backwards! I will definitely pick this one up when it comes out on DVD. Give it a try, I think you will really like this movie! Expand
  64. Oct 16, 2010
    Crafting a story like this is a feat that is rarely seen in cinema. There is a real chemistry between Pitt and Blanchett and this is coupled by a storyline which gripped me as soon as I had seen the trailer. The story never gets old, much the same as its protagonist.
  65. Jan 19, 2012
    Absolutely beautiful! Long but I didn't feel it because I was caught by the story. Scott Fitzgerald was indeed a great author, and I loved the fact that they were able to portray his work in this wonderful movie. Just because a movie is not 'realistic' and is based in fantasy doesn't mean that there are not important issues to be explored. This movie is about inner strength about havingAbsolutely beautiful! Long but I didn't feel it because I was caught by the story. Scott Fitzgerald was indeed a great author, and I loved the fact that they were able to portray his work in this wonderful movie. Just because a movie is not 'realistic' and is based in fantasy doesn't mean that there are not important issues to be explored. This movie is about inner strength about having the ability to get through life with faith, acknowledging one's limitations yet, fighting to acomplish our goals. It is also about loyalty and courage... and about frustration too, because not everything can be changed since there are things that escape to our hands. It may be over emotional and overly 'optimistic', but it does not diminish its value. It is not a drama, it is not a thriller, it is not a comedy.I wouldn't put it in a specific category...this just IS a wonderful story, written by a great novelist...and brought to be enjoyed in a total different way...the big screen! Expand
  66. Jun 11, 2013
    Spectacular story about the journey of a life. To see this movie go though all the different decades was incredible. An emotional movie that has something valuable to share. Just splendid. Also, wonderful directing and art direction.
  67. Feb 11, 2014
    As an elderly woman lies on her deathbed she recounts the peculiar story of Benjamin Button, a man whose life is inexplicably tied to a mysterious backwards-running clock. After Benjamin’s mother dies in childbirth, the father abandons baby Benjamin because of his stark physical defects. Luckily Queenie, a black woman who manages a senior’s care home, finds newborn Benjamin and raises himAs an elderly woman lies on her deathbed she recounts the peculiar story of Benjamin Button, a man whose life is inexplicably tied to a mysterious backwards-running clock. After Benjamin’s mother dies in childbirth, the father abandons baby Benjamin because of his stark physical defects. Luckily Queenie, a black woman who manages a senior’s care home, finds newborn Benjamin and raises him herself. For the rest of his life Benjamin calls Queenie mother.

When Benjamin is born, he emerges prematurely aged. Medical tests show that he has the physical characteristics of a person in his eighties. Originally penned by F. Scott Fitzgerald, makes Benjamin Button tells a peculiar life story that forays in the world of the fantastic: the crux of the story is that, just as the clock ticks backwards, Benjamin too ages in reverse. He gets younger and younger over time.

The task of dealing with this massive disconnect between his physically aged exterior, and his inner infantile self, forces Benjamin to attempt to act like an adult (to match his aged exterior), but no matter how hard he tries his true inner child shines through, especially whenever it comes to booze and women, areas where he has zero experience. Benjamin wins the adoration of most every character he meets, and along the way he breaks through the prejudicial barriers that age and race typically erect.

This film is a diversion for Fincher. Many of the defining qualities of David Fincher’s films are not so very present in Benjamin Button. This charmed, almost magical tale shares none of the characteristic of other Fincher scripts. It is not filtered through the darkened lens of hyper awareness; there is none of the desolation and bleak deconstruction of modern culture that fills Zodiac, the most recently released Fincher film before this one.

Benjamin Button seems to be the only film in Fincher's body of work that is not a dark, psychological thriller. Here, Fincher proves that he can work in drama just as well as he can work in action and suspense, however he does have expert help.

The director of photography Claudio Miranda, who had worked on a number of Fincher’s earlier pictures, sets the tones and temperature of the images so they project like a thriller, dark with shadows, slight, almost sepia toned. A highly refined picture quality.

Once again, this film features Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter, the brilliant editing team that would go on to win multiple Oscars for best editing in The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. They brilliantly let visuals alone tell as much of the story as possible. As with Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Benjamin Button has tons of shots and locations. The exact opposite of Panic Room.

Eric Roth & David Fincher

The technique of recounting the story through recollection as a series of flashbacks, as well as Benjamin’s unexpected success despite his handicap, make Benjamin Button bear an off-putting resemblance to the structure of Forest Gump (1994). This is no coincidence.

The same writer who won an Oscar for his Forest Gump screenplay, Eric Roth, is also the writer of Benjamin Button.

As characters both Forest and Benjamin worked on boats, both took part in World Wars, and both perpetually pursue women from their childhood. What is great thought is that Fincher is able to divert this potential redundancy. While Forest bumbles along, simply falling into phenomenal situations, Benjamin paves his own way. It’s existential drive versus dumb luck.
  68. Nov 25, 2013
    The scene in Grand Central Terminal with the clock that showcased the WWI battle and the fathers only wish to rewind time so that he may see his son again left an impression with me for life. Let it be known that War, for better or worse, will scar the immediate families of the fallen for eternity in ways which those that have not sacrificed will never know. If I was the authority, I wouldThe scene in Grand Central Terminal with the clock that showcased the WWI battle and the fathers only wish to rewind time so that he may see his son again left an impression with me for life. Let it be known that War, for better or worse, will scar the immediate families of the fallen for eternity in ways which those that have not sacrificed will never know. If I was the authority, I would have made sure that the clock would have stayed in place forever. Expand
  69. Mar 24, 2015
    فیلم سعی داره که تاثیر زمان رو بر زندگی با معکوس نشون دادنش بهتر نشون بده که با کارگردانی و بازی خوب موفق هم شده. ولی نقطه ضعف فیلم زمان زیاد فیلمه که ممکنه تماشاگر رو خسته کنه.
  70. Apr 24, 2015
    The premise underlying The Curious Case of Benjamin Button might sound more appropriate for a science fiction tale than a meditative drama. Indeed, the concept of a man aging backward has formed the basis for more than one sci-fi tinged story - from novels to an animated Star Trek episode - but the source material for this film is a 1922 short written by acclaimed novelist F. ScottThe premise underlying The Curious Case of Benjamin Button might sound more appropriate for a science fiction tale than a meditative drama. Indeed, the concept of a man aging backward has formed the basis for more than one sci-fi tinged story - from novels to an animated Star Trek episode - but the source material for this film is a 1922 short written by acclaimed novelist F. Scott Fitzgerald. The original "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" functions as little more than an inspiration for this movie, which takes the idea and the name and follows a divergent path from the one mapped out by Fitzgerald. David Fincher's film is its own entity and, despite some minor flaws, it is undeniably engrossing and one of the more intriguing and emotionally resonant features of the 2008 holiday season.

Chaos theory - the idea that small perturbations in the natural order in one place can cause ripple effects to be felt far and wide - lies at the heart and soul of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The only constant in life is change and it happens whether driven by fate (or kismet) or chance. One delicious vignette provides an explicit example as a car accident results from a series of small, seemingly unrelated interim incidents. Remove any one and that accident would not have happened. And, take away the accident and the rest of the movie would have moved on a different path toward a alternate ending. Life is like that. We never know whether any given action will vanish like a stone tossed into a pond or whether the ripples of that toss will build into a tsunami.

If there's a Forrest Gump quality to the movie, that's unsurprising, considering that the screenwriter, Eric Roth, was responsible for both scripts. Like Forrest, Benjamin is an outcast of society, and history marches by him in a series of vignettes. But director David Fincher's darker side is in evidence. Benjamin does not share Forrest's charmed existence. For him, life is not a box of chocolates, and Jenny does not lie at the end of the rainbow. The ending of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button may feel a little rushed, but it is also elegiac. Many may see this as a more grown-up version of Forrest Gump, but it feels to me like something from the pen of Charlie Kaufman, who enjoys playing with time and conventions in much the way Fincher and Roth do here.

The film is structured to comprise three major segments. The first represents Benjamin's childhood, when his seemingly failing physical appearance is belied by his increasing mental agility. For someone with his disability, he is surprisingly well adjusted, but some of that comes from having a loving mother. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button's second act occurs just before, during, and after World War II. That's when the main character enters into an affair with a middle-aged British woman (Tilda Swinton) in Russia, serves aboard a tugboat during the conflict, and returns home looking more hale and healthy than when he left. Finally, the third piece of the puzzle follows Benjamin from middle age into his golden years, when he learns a few things about sacrifice and redefining life and happiness.

For the most part, the acting is of the highest quality, with supporting performers like Tilda Swinton, Jared Harris (as the captain of the tugboat aboard which Benjamin finds service), and Julia Ormond making the most of limited screen time. Cate Blanchett brings vibrancy and spirit to Daisy. Brad Pitt, however, is marginally less successful. His portrayal is solid but lacks the extra element necessary to catapult it into greatness. When Benjamin looks old, Pitt plays him as old, not as a young man trapped in a much older body. And when Benjamin looks young, Pitt plays him with the verve of a young man, not as an "old soul." The subtleties are missing and this may be the single element that could make it difficult for some to accept the premise.

Although the movie is presented as a series of vignettes, its full impact is not felt until the whole is absorbed. Even the 2005 scenes with Caroline by her mother's bedside feed into what Fincher and Roth are saying about chaos theory, fate, and the sometimes unforgiving jolts imparted by change. In the end, Benjamin's reverse-aging is just a filter that allows us to gain a slightly skewed perception about the process of living and, perhaps by looking through that glass darkly, a better understanding of human nature. Is that too much for a mainstream movie to achieve? Perhaps, and I'm not sure The Curious Case of Benjamin Button takes us as far down that path as it might hope to. But there's no denying the film's power of compulsion and the sense that, when it's all over, it means something. Most viewers will be entertained and moved, and some will find their intellect aroused. The source material may be F. Scott Fitzgerald, but The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has come a long way from where it started 86 years ago.
  71. ArjunS.
    Dec 30, 2008
    Director David Fincher, does a great job at making a well crafted story and uses great filming techniques to show it. The problem however, lies in the story rather then the way it was pulled off. The story resembles Forrest Gump incredibly and because of this seemed to lack an original flare. This was counteracted though by a stellar performance from Brad Pitt who played the role of a New Director David Fincher, does a great job at making a well crafted story and uses great filming techniques to show it. The problem however, lies in the story rather then the way it was pulled off. The story resembles Forrest Gump incredibly and because of this seemed to lack an original flare. This was counteracted though by a stellar performance from Brad Pitt who played the role of a New Orleans man, as if he was raised there his whole life. The combination of this and Fincher's direction make the film worth seeing. Expand
  72. TimM
    Jan 7, 2009
    A mesmerising and heartwarming film from start to finish. There is no big message perhaps apart from enjoying every moment of life while you can and appreciating it in all it's richness. Go see.
  73. JayH
    May 2, 2009
    Impressive production - the art direction, make-up, and cinematography are magnificent. Brad Pitt is amazing. The story is fascinating. It did seem it's 2 1/2 hour length, a little cutting would have helped, but overall a top notch film that is outstanding.
  74. PeterG
    May 4, 2009
    One of the best movies I've seen in last years. It's worth of success. By me personally it's better than Titanic.
  75. JohnH.
    Jan 29, 2009
    This well-done movie makes one think about life through the story and acting -- A very credible, well told story that keeps one engaged throughout. How one could rate this movie a "0" or even a "1" or "2" - is unclear. What the movie lacked in whirlwind 'blow em up and shoot em dead' movies with an excess of obscenity, gratuitous sex and gore --- it more than made up for in an This well-done movie makes one think about life through the story and acting -- A very credible, well told story that keeps one engaged throughout. How one could rate this movie a "0" or even a "1" or "2" - is unclear. What the movie lacked in whirlwind 'blow em up and shoot em dead' movies with an excess of obscenity, gratuitous sex and gore --- it more than made up for in an insiteful, absorbing story. Who among us has not said, "boy, if I only knew then, what I know now" Or contemplated the cycle of life from a relatively helpless baby --- back to a relatively helpless elderly person? It's difficult to find movies that develop character and a storyline (versus special effects and noise) -- This one is a 'thumbs-up' for good adult entertainment. Expand
  76. FredB.
    Jan 4, 2009
    If you don't like to cry at the movies, you might want to skip this one. Not since Big Fish have I cried this long and hard at a movie. The only problem is, I'm still trying to figure out why... This is one of those long movies that captivate until the end, but left me longing for an explaination. I am still pondering this movie over one wek later. Not sure why it left such an If you don't like to cry at the movies, you might want to skip this one. Not since Big Fish have I cried this long and hard at a movie. The only problem is, I'm still trying to figure out why... This is one of those long movies that captivate until the end, but left me longing for an explaination. I am still pondering this movie over one wek later. Not sure why it left such an impression on me. Definatley worth checking out just to see the amazing special effects and something never done before... Expand
  77. AllyS
    Feb 20, 2009
    Great Movie. An old fashioned story but brilliantly told with great performances and stunning special effects. Perhaps the perfect date movie, my girlfriend loved it and so did I and that never happens!
  78. TomS.
    Feb 23, 2009
    Good Movie.Lots going on, hard to keep up with. However, if you are able to keep up with the changing of Pitt, then the movie is great to watch.
  79. GeorgeM
    May 12, 2009
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is perhaps one of the more unique films I've seen in some time...its not necessarily a "great" movie as it stands on its own as something different. Benjamin Button is born unwanted, as he is an infant with the physical appearance of an 80 year old man...and as he grows up he gets younger, and throughout his life (despite his reverse aging) he The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is perhaps one of the more unique films I've seen in some time...its not necessarily a "great" movie as it stands on its own as something different. Benjamin Button is born unwanted, as he is an infant with the physical appearance of an 80 year old man...and as he grows up he gets younger, and throughout his life (despite his reverse aging) he meets people of all walks of life, learns about life and death living in a retirement home, and yearns to find some place in this world given his circumstances. He approaches life with a sense of "awe" in everywhere he goes and everyone he meets. He seems like a genuine person that truly absorbs the world around him and he is calmly fascinated by the world around him...that things are much bigger and its good to feel small sometimes, yet he seems to carry around this gloomy outlook...no doubt brought on by his growing up around those old folks that are on the virge of passing away...in essence, life is short no matter which way youre aging. Brad Pitt does a great job of portraying the rather innocent, shy, but ever desperate for love Benjamin Button...he seems to really grow with the character and Cate Blanchett does an adequate job of portraying the "love interest" with a certain fascination, reservation, but ever apparent love for Benjamin. Overall its a very interesting film...one that should not be overlooked, it IS a bit long and at times it seems to drag but its just a fascinating watch. The FX are amazing...the design is exquisite, and the direction is solid (even if some of the exchanged dialogue seems..."cut off" and forced). The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is NOT what I consider a great film...a very competant one but its not something I will watch time and time again but something to pull out every once and a while...it dosen't have that "classic" film status but its not to be missed. RECOMMENDED. Expand
  80. BojanaM
    May 15, 2009
    I liked it in very weird way. I could say that the story is refreshing but yet very unusual. if the time could just go backwards nothing would really change. Anyway, it´s a good movie.
  81. halb
    May 23, 2009
    Definitely a brilliantly made film, but one that is -- as other reviewers have noted -- difficult to love. I agree with David Ansen (Newsweek), who wrote: "anyone who has contemplated his own mortality will find it hard not to be moved by Fincher's evocation of the fickleness of fate". A somber tale that stretches out for 3 hours, but that held my interest throughout. Pitt is Definitely a brilliantly made film, but one that is -- as other reviewers have noted -- difficult to love. I agree with David Ansen (Newsweek), who wrote: "anyone who has contemplated his own mortality will find it hard not to be moved by Fincher's evocation of the fickleness of fate". A somber tale that stretches out for 3 hours, but that held my interest throughout. Pitt is fantastic here, as is the supporting cast. Definitely worth renting. Expand
  82. ThomasH
    Jun 3, 2009
    Scenery, cinematography are great in this film. The concept of having your my character age backwards was fascinating, and the makeup team should be congratulated for a superb effort.
  83. MarcS
    Dec 26, 2008
    A very good movie with a good message. There are few movies made today that can say that. It's a little long, but, to tell you the truth, I barely noticed.
  84. Anarchrist13
  85. Trevor
    Dec 31, 2008
    A very philosophic movie. One of those that,as your leaving the theater, really makes you think. Very well acted and directed. do not go see it if you have young children however. I saw two couples and their kids leaving through out the viewing. It is a rather long film, sitting at two and a bit hours, so it will not hold the attention on children. Over all however, it is worth the high A very philosophic movie. One of those that,as your leaving the theater, really makes you think. Very well acted and directed. do not go see it if you have young children however. I saw two couples and their kids leaving through out the viewing. It is a rather long film, sitting at two and a bit hours, so it will not hold the attention on children. Over all however, it is worth the high price of movie tickets now-a-days. Highly recommend seeing this. Best of the Christmas holiday movies in my humble opinion. Expand
  86. SecretLover
    Jan 24, 2009
    A good movie. Proper mix of emotions.
  87. NotmwardN.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Emotionally gripping and powerful, its message strong in our minds leaving the theatre's through our own perspectives.
  88. Nov 3, 2010
    Despite the fact that Brade Pit can't act, once more he gives a feeble attempt at an accent that is terrible. BUT, they keep him quiet most of the time and the movie works well. I loved this flick, really good in spite of Brad's inability to act. Kate is awesome as always and delivers a wonderful performance.. Well worth seeing.
  89. Aug 27, 2014
    In ways, Benjamin Button is a new age Forrest Gump. At the same time, they are nothing alike. What they do share is an unique adventure through their troublesome yet exciting lives. Brad Pitt gives a first-rate performance along with Cate Blanchett and Taraji P. Henson.
  90. Aug 31, 2014
    Probably one of the more unique films I have ever seen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a moving film about life and truly wraps you up into its world and never lets you go, ultimately leaving you deeply affected and moved by the film. The direction by David Fincher is fantastic as usual. The cinematography is also gorgeous and perfect for a film of this type. The costume andProbably one of the more unique films I have ever seen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a moving film about life and truly wraps you up into its world and never lets you go, ultimately leaving you deeply affected and moved by the film. The direction by David Fincher is fantastic as usual. The cinematography is also gorgeous and perfect for a film of this type. The costume and production design are also pitch perfect, as is the stunning makeup. The makeup is some of the best I have ever seen in a film, honestly. The acting from Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, and Taraji P. Henson, is also very powerful and very good. The unique story of a man born old and who gets younger as time goes on, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a touching, brilliantly made film that is a tad long, but never feels as long as it is, especially since you wish there was more to see once the credits start rolling. While the romance elements have been done before, the unique twist thrown in here adds a certain freshness to it that elevates it above your usual romantic film. This is a film you need to see. Expand
  91. Jan 23, 2013
    Very good movie. Cry, your heart will suffer, but not leave wing time to enjoy.
  92. Dec 21, 2012
    This movie is LONGGG. Very long. So it pays to be into a deep psychological mood or even pondering the meaning of life. Brad Pitt stars as Ben Button. This film, while some complain it is too long, too boring,etc., it is very REWARDING in the end. Sure, complain that it doesn't have a story. It is not one of those light-hearted movies, it is not a comedy; but a genius film that depictsThis movie is LONGGG. Very long. So it pays to be into a deep psychological mood or even pondering the meaning of life. Brad Pitt stars as Ben Button. This film, while some complain it is too long, too boring,etc., it is very REWARDING in the end. Sure, complain that it doesn't have a story. It is not one of those light-hearted movies, it is not a comedy; but a genius film that depicts life in a different way. I thought it was a magical movie, and offered the very best. The camera tells the story, and as a result, I did actually cry at the end. Decide for yourself if you really like it, but I know I did. B+ Expand
  93. Mar 12, 2015
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a weird little - it’s a 2 hours and half - film. The subject is intriguing enough to get you to watch it but you stay because it’s simply captivating. I was so invested in the story that I cried several times while watching it. The film is touching and heartwarming, and also subtle. It seamlessly breezes through times and really brings to life whatThe Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a weird little - it’s a 2 hours and half - film. The subject is intriguing enough to get you to watch it but you stay because it’s simply captivating. I was so invested in the story that I cried several times while watching it. The film is touching and heartwarming, and also subtle. It seamlessly breezes through times and really brings to life what the tagline is about “Life isn’t measured in minutes but in moments.”

The film does go through Benjamin Button’s life and really shows every step, moments, that defined who he is. The movie is very much grounded in reality which makes the fantasy elements of the story real. You quickly believe that a boy born old but with the mind of baby is possible. So the magic is there, grounded in the reality of Benjamin’s life. I don’t know who to accredit this to but it’s very clear, palpable, that when Benjamin is growing up, looking like a man in his nineties his youthful energy shines through.

Brad Pitt, being the title character is just stunning in this film. He helps make the weird aspects of the film OK. The same goes for Taraji P. Henson, she makes the old wrinkled baby the most normal thing, she brought the dramatic gut wrenching emotions of a mother’s love in all her scenes. They all have their moments Julia Ormond, Tilda Swinton and Cate Blanchett all bring another layer, another moment in Benjamin’s life. Blanchett evokes the undeniable question of love, and a lasting one as that. Benjamin’s condition raises a valid question about age and love, which is interestingly dealt with in the film.

More than a riveting story with great acting, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a technical prowess. The make up, the cinematography, and the special effects are mind-blowing Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett look older and then younger and it’s done beautifully. The darkness and lighting in David Fincher’s style of film making really compliments the story but more so the technicality of the film. He was the perfect director for and did an amazing job throughout.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a wonderful film about time, life, and love. It’s another David Fincher masterpiece that is timeless.

@wornoutspines
  94. ArielleF.
    May 22, 2009
    "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" started out with a good plot and high expectations for me. But it ended in such a cliche way I almost forgot how good the beginning of the movie was. And am I the only one that felt deja vu? With another movie...let's say...."Forrest Gump" perhaps?
  95. NerijusD.
    Feb 14, 2009
    Really overrated film. A simple fable with rather average shaping and kinda boring experiences. Only special effects could be considered Oscar-worthy.
  96. CarolS
    Dec 28, 2008
    Beautifully shot, edited, and designed. A bit too long. Pitt is excellent.
  97. jonathans.
    Dec 28, 2008
    Keeping it as short as possible and ignoring many points I wish I could cover: excellently made in all aspects, its first half is nonetheless, just Forrest Gump 2: the cirppled legs, the childhood girl who grows away into the fast life but comes back, the best friend captain and life on the sea--I honestly considered walking out just from the intense irritation the parallels were causing. Keeping it as short as possible and ignoring many points I wish I could cover: excellently made in all aspects, its first half is nonetheless, just Forrest Gump 2: the cirppled legs, the childhood girl who grows away into the fast life but comes back, the best friend captain and life on the sea--I honestly considered walking out just from the intense irritation the parallels were causing. But once the film settled down in the second half to focus on Benjamin's relationships, mainly with his wife, the film became much better and atoned for the first half. If you never saw Forrest Gump or didn't make the connection, the film was likely much, much better. Not bad, but not the epic it should've been. Expand
  98. AaronF.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Frustrating in its inflated runtime and intermittent self-importance, "...Benjamin Button" is an enjoyable movie, but one that ultimately feels like "Forrest Gump" with a gimmick.
  99. BillyS.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Beautifully crafted, visually stunning but emotionally detached considering the possibilities that in the screenplay.Disappointingly, It doesn't look like the Oscar magnet that I've been reading about.
  100. Dec 31, 2011
    First off, It's a wonderful film. But the great films seem to make you think. You could take the film and state that it was rather "hallmark-ish", but you could also look at the brilliance in it. One of the most down to earth films in recent years, Brad Pitt shines along with the film's stunning cinematography. The only thing weak here is Fincher's decision to direct a film that totals toFirst off, It's a wonderful film. But the great films seem to make you think. You could take the film and state that it was rather "hallmark-ish", but you could also look at the brilliance in it. One of the most down to earth films in recent years, Brad Pitt shines along with the film's stunning cinematography. The only thing weak here is Fincher's decision to direct a film that totals to just way too long, and way too sulky. Though performance weight out substance here. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Lyrical, original, misshapen and deeply felt, this is one flawed beauty of a movie.
  2. Superbly made and winningly acted by Brad Pitt in his most impressive outing to date.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This odd, epic tale of a man who ages backwards is presented in an impeccable classical manner, every detail tended to with fastidious devotion.