8.4

1. Sep 23, 2012
    Miedo, chaos, dolor , el resumen perfecto para esta trilogia, y en lo personal, la tercera parte te transmite mucho.-- mucho dolor, desde la salud decayente de bruce wayne pasando por la nueva perspectiva que le otorgaron al origen de bane y el increible desarrollo de la historia que hace pensar al espectador que este es el fin de batman y ciudad gotica, las interpretaciones de los personajes longevos de esta trilogia estuvieron muy bien, a excepcion de un alfred con un enorme conlicto interno que lo hace a mi parecer, la mejor interpretacion; , selina no se queda atras, la interpretacion de anne opaca en muchas formas a la de pfeiffer, aun asi, ninguno de los nuevos actores le pudo quitar la batuta consagrada a ledger como the joker. Una increible banda sonora, impresionantes efectos especiales, grandes interpretaciones, una sublime historia que encapsula a la perfeccion el dolor y la desesperacion a la que el ser humano puede estar sujeto por la debilidad moral de su pueblo y la insertidumbre que provoca una ironica revolucion. no lo piensen dos veces, veanla de inmediato. una obra maestra que ha sido sobrestimada por el villano/interpretacion de su precuela. Expand
  2. Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks to powerful performances, exciting action, and a thrilling script with one of the best endings every in a movie series, The Dark Knight Rises effectively and epically ends Christopher Nolan's masterful Dark Knight trilogy.
  3. Sep 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What impressed me the most about The Dark Knight (yes, I mean the previous film) was that it brought some very deep ideas into play, namely morality, but also chaos, motive, madness, monstrosity, and resilience. All are absolutely brilliant in the film. And so, The Dark Knight Rises falls (haha) a little short to me, because it is mainly just a story. I will concede that the film very effectively addresses the fall of an icon and its subsequent return, the heavy toll paid by a hero and his loved ones, and, most of all, faith. All of these elements of the film are exceptionally well done. Christopher Nolan has not yet lost his power to guide, appal, and uplift an audience.

But it is, after all, mainly just a story. It feels like a long 2 hours and 44 minutes, winding through layers of plot to reach an inevitable conclusion. It is a very good story, of course, but it feels as though, in his haste to get it all out, Nolan overlooked the important details. He forgot his strong characters, already thoroughly developed by the previous two films, but falling short here. He forgot the brilliant, anarchic pulse that drives The Dark Knight to make it one of the most captivating films ever. And he welcomed Hollywood. He welcomed meaningless action and cheesy one-liners, while tossing aside the realism that made the first two films so unique as superhero flicks.

The film begins, as The Dark Knight also did, by introducing its villain. Bane's reputation is very quickly established by nothing more than a few comments and glances, which is incredibly efficient. However, Bane's entrance in TDKR does not wholly compare to the Joker's in TDK. The skillful mastermind that is Bane is not truly made evident to me until later in the film. While Hardy's performance in this scene, and the rest of the film, is great, the series of events just do not stack up to the Joker's brilliant (and totally original) bank robbery. The opening scene in TDKR gives me enough a sense of how terrifying Bane is, but it does not adequately display his genius.

As the film moves on from Bane, it introduces quite a few brand new characters, most notably Miranda Tate, John Blake, Selina Kyle, and Deputy Commissioner Foley. This is too many new characters. Of these, only Selina Kyle is sufficiently developed, with Blake a close second, though I feel he could have used a lot more development. These characters end up using a lot of screen time for the sole purpose of plot advancement. They steal the screen from Batman, Alfred, and Bane, and they do not accomplish a whole lot in return.

But let's talk about some good stuff. In this film, we see Bruce Wayne brought all the way down from his high point in The Dark Knight. He is completely broken from the start. We get the sense that he wants to face Bane just so he can end his own misery, and the thought tears Alfred to pieces. We also see Bruce broken even further from this point, which is disheartening, until he finally rises from it all the splendid hero that he deserves to be. The ups and downs are very powerful. There is a broad theme of faith throughout the film:

The common man has faith that the Batman will rise again in a time of dire need. The children of Gotham have heard legends, and their world has darkened since his departure, so they long to see him return. John Blake draws a chalk bat wherever he goes. He's tyring to keep the idea alive - after all, Batman is not a man but an idea, as we have been told time and time again since Batman Begins.

Alfred sees his own faith torn to pieces - faith that he once held in both himself and Bruce, and the power of an ideal. This is the most powerful part of the movie, emotionally. Michael Caine's performance is amazing; he is so, so heartbroken. He considers it a personal failure to have Bruce feeling so alone and miserable.

And Bruce Wayne, once so confident in his symbol and his gadgets, finds himself utterly broken and shackled by fear, the very thing that he taught himself to manipulate in Batman Begins. He has truly come full circle, defeated by his own alter ego.

But despite Bruce Wayne's defeat, it seems that the symbol itself is eternal. This movie, continuing the tradition of the previous two, exercises the idea that a hero can be anyone. That Batman is not the man, but the mask. I think it's a powerful idea, and the film executes it well. In fact, Christian Bale does not even have a lot of screen time (this is both good and bad, but good for now). The movie has quite a few unsung heroes.

For a much more lengthy and in-depth review, see my blog at kofdrops.blogspot.com.
  4. Sep 17, 2012
    To call this movie breathtaking would be an insult, as this movie is so much more. This is the stuff William Lincoln was dreaming of back in 1867 when he watched moving drawings rush by through a simple slit cut into a spinning wheel. This film is the trophy of the American film industry's undisputed triumph in the art.
    From some reason I saw the main engineering of this film as a
    parallel with the human need to invent a god and live and die by its terms. Desynthesizing our responsibilities by use of a third party. Everyone is always looking for a leader to give them a tune to march to. Good or bad. So long as there is a tune, there are always willing participants.
    Batman must make a come back, not just to answer to himself, and tie-in the plot of the previous film, but most importantly because people are at a loss after knowing of his existence. Which begs me to wonder: We are all assuming there is a guy sitting comfortably upstairs pulling cords, but what if we really truly knew? As with Batman, we'd be demanding this guy get back to business and do it as we demand him to. After all, his decisions are our lives.
    But let's look at it from another point of view. The bad guy, Bane, also has followers. Hordes of maniacs looking for blind faith to provide them juice out of their vacant existence. Reminding me a bit of a lot of terrorist ideologies. The propagation of a bad idea is often better than having no ideas at all. Check with our past historical dictators to confirm my suspicions.
    "You must do it without a rope." No one could forget those lines. The true motivator of human evolution. Because when it comes down to it, there is no large human accomplishment that has ever been performed with a safety net. Leaps must be made with blind faith. Something takes place in the universe when there is full commitment in place... Notice that I did use 'blind faith' here as well as I used it in the previous paragraph about evil. Because faith works both ways. The flip side of a coin by the name of 'hope.'
    The true lesson Batman delivers here after reconquering his own faith is that humanity must learn to fight its own battles with individually instilled hope and determination. Allow me to explain...
    This one book you might have heard of, the Bible, has a somewhat similar story. It's about an unassuming guy that shows up to perform acts no other man could ever fathom. And when he gets everyone's attention, he tells them that they too can do the same if they only believed. Of course, they think he is nuts. Everyone always misses the moral of the story. The reason why Batman has to go away, as did the guy in the Bible... Witnessing greatness is clear proof that we are all part of it. It's already within each one of us. And it's ok to move forward alone. We all find the way. So long as we have faith.
  5. Sep 17, 2012
    Just to answer the glaring question, no, it doesn't measure up to the intelligence of "The Dark Knight". However, it comes close with pure cinematic spectacle and visual style. A near perfect summation to a brilliant trilogy.
  6. Sep 14, 2012
    It concludes this trilogy in such a great way that makes the three movies function as one piece of storytelling. Most importantly, it's an amazingly written and acted story that lives up to the hype generated by the previous ones and faithful and honest towards the comics that originally brought The Dark Knight to a legend status.
  7. Sep 10, 2012
    At nearly 3 hours, one might be skeptical to find it zooming by. Luckily, it does just that. I don't believe that any part had deserved the right to be cut. It had quite a lot more action than its predecessor, but it was thoroughly enjoyed. I also found myself between the booming speakers, begging me to to stay on the edge of me seat. Tom Hardy had quite the seat to fill after Heath Ledger's Joker. Frankly, it wasn't as great, but his perception of Bane was quite good. The last ten minutes resolved the trilogy with great style. It wasn't THAT surprising, but its resolution was better than I could hoped for a trilogy of this caliber. DO NOT hesitate to watch this film! Expand
  8. Sep 10, 2012
    I felt both Batman and Bruce Wayne were dumbed-down so the plot could work, which disappointed me so much so the entire movie wasn't enjoyable even when it should have been.

If I were watching Dark Knight Rises as just another action movie, without any prior knowledge of anything-Batman, I'd probably be happier with the movie.
  9. Sep 9, 2012
    All the suspense and action we have come to expect from Nolan, a great film and certainly a worthy ending to such a successful franchise.
  10. Sep 8, 2012
    This was a really good movie. Now before I get ahead of myself I will start by saying that this was definitely not the best of the Nolan batman's but it was a really fun time. Although there were a few flaws near the end of the movie it did not make me look at the film in a different way.
  11. Sep 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here there be SPOILERS.
    Dark Knight Rises: too vehicletastic. He drives a batcycle, he flies a batcopter -- the real Batman is just a man, a man with hermetic assassin training and a utility belt, but a man. When Batman has to use his batcopter to haul a neutron bomb out "over the bay" away from the city I feel like I'm watching a James Bond movie, not Batman.

Batman is a detective. He uses his wits to catch these guys, not his expensive toys. This Batman farmed all his detecting out to Alfred. This Batman couldn't even figure out that Miranda Tate was not all she seemed! Never trust a French chanteuse. Who haunted the dreams of that boiled owl in Inception.

I'll meet halfway on suspension of disbelief. That's why I'm in the theatre. But the halfway part . . . If you don't show up at the meeting place, and I have to go across town and over to your house, and you don't answer the door, and I let myself in and there's some Hans Zimmer on the stereo and the bathroom window's open and you've written in steam on the mirror SCREW YOU . . . I don't know. Okay, so Bane broke Batman's back and had him shipped out to the Moorish prison hole of his past. But when a helpful fellow prisoner explains "You won't be able to move until I fix your back . . . Your vertebra is sticking out . . ." and punches it back into place . . . leading to a complete recovery . . . again, I don't know.

Nolan seems to have trouble structuring his stories. Toward the end of a long film is not where one wants a protagonist defeat-imprisonment-recovery-escape sequence. If you've gotta have that, it could come at the end of act one. Or, heaven forbid, defeat-imprisonment at the end of the film, and recovery-escape at the top of Dark Knight Rises: The Final Chapter. (Inception, too, seemed to stumble about like a drunk in the video store.)

Don't like Anne Hathaway and don't like Catwoman's mood-killing postmodern quips. Get Eartha Kitt to do it digitally like Brando in Superman Returns. In three of these Nolan Batmans there's never been a decent female character for Batman to play off of. The vanishing Katie Holmes, the game Maggie Gyllenhaal -- he just didn't write anything for em to do.

I must not have been completely under the spell of the film, because when the batcopter, on its way out to the bay, hoists that bomb over a school bus full of orphans (and the bland Joseph Gordon-Levitt) I was thinking "How great would it be if that bomb slammed into that bus like a wrecking ball?" Sadly, it was not to be.

The movie lurched up to the brink of an interesting idea -- what if Batman lost all his money -- and then wobbled away in some other narrative precession. Rather than showing us Batman surviving on his own, defeating Bane without his pricey hardware -- the real Batman -- Nolan hurriedly got him back into the copter. I would have liked to have seen that other movie, with broke street Batman.

I guess since losing his parents Bruce Wayne has used his money to insulate himself, with the suit, the copter -- but that would be a theme for a movie with something on its mind. Dark Knight Rises feints toward political content, but merely uses the motif of class uprising as another exotic/gritty backdrop in a bloated action movie. The film is uninterested in exploring any of the questions it raises. Hell, it's uninterested in raising any questions.

Of course this is the director who made a 148 minute film about dreams without a single memorable image or surreal moment. (It only felt like 192 minutes). In fact in Nolan's career I can remember exactly one image: Carrie Ann Moss' look of absolute evil, sitting in the car toward the end of Memento.
  12. Sep 7, 2012
    Better than The Beginning, much worse than The Dark Knight. First off, the story is too complicated and the final twist is out of place. At few times it seems forced into the movie. There was too much of the story and not enough action. I thought it was too ambitious. The build up is too long compared to the dissolution. Acting is the best parto of this movie and because of it alone I give 8 instead of 7. Besides Anne Hathaway who is believable and very sexy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Cain who are exceptionally good .Action scenes are in my opinion much worse than in earlier parts. They still did not manage to construct good hand to hand fights, often it is very hard to say what is going on. The new toy - The Bat - did not show anything special besides flying. It is too long by at least 15minutes. I must say I liked the ending very much. Overall average with few above average features. Expand
  13. Sep 6, 2012
    Un film lleno de emoción , efectos visuales increíbles, una actuacion muy buena de parte de anne hat thaway.Sin embargo los errores notorios hacen que mi calificacion no sea perfecta. No obstante este film no deja de ser una obra maestra.
  14. Sep 5, 2012
    TDKR is the final chapter in an epic trilogy that made sure that even superhero movies could be for grown-ups too instead of trashy camp fests. I wonder if these movies would have been as successful if Heath Ledger hadn't died but we'll never know. It's impossible to talk about the movie without spoilers but I'll do my best to avoid them. Bruce Wayne is at his worst in the beginning of the movie, he's lost the will to fight, live, be a part of the world. He made Batman take the blame for Harvey Dent and this act made sure that the "death of batman" brought the "death of the man". The quest to go back alive and kicking is triggered when a certain cat-burglar tries to steal jewel from the Wayn Mansion. The theft uncovers a bigger scheme where the Wayne Empire is the target. Plot twist after plot twist we meet new characters, each one with their own backstory, from Selina Kyle to agent Blake, to the menacing Bane. While Joker liked to play with minds, Bane's strength is its best asset, every time he appears you're scared of what would he do next. He's a solid character, but I think he's not enough menacing on his own but needs a full army to back him up. Bane and his army gain control of the entire town of gotham and it's up the "good people" to save the day. While in the earlier movie Batman was used as a symbol instead of an actual action hero, here he shines through gadgets and futuristic veihcles. There are a lot of action scenes that escalate in the climax of the movie.
    Overall I suggest to see the movie, it's a fitting end to a surprisingly good trilogy.
  15. Sep 4, 2012

A comedic Review of The Dark Knight Rises. Take with a grain of salt. Enjoy and don't be too serious.
  16. Sep 4, 2012
    What should you do? As incredible as it seems, you should just sit back in the movie theater, relax and be blown away as much as I was for sure. the best movie of 2012!
  17. Sep 4, 2012
    Firstly, this movie is not as good as the last one. Fair enough. But it is also less inline with the Batman univerce. Bane is nerfed, Talia is weird, catwoman is.. to say the least.. less atractive than she should be. (What happened to flirting on rooftops and such? Now she's just some cat burglerer with lame lines?!) In my oppinion, this movie tried to hard to be a reimagining of 'The Dark Knight Returns' (Comic) mashed with the beginings of Batman Beyond, instead of completing Nolans trilogy. As a movie, it was ok, as a Batman movie, it steps too far out of the Batman univerce for me, a bat fan, to enjoy and accept. Like I said, it is a good movie, and has a lot to offer, I am just dissapointed that Nolan deviated so far from Batmans actual time line etc. Also, I felt that bane was a poor choice of villan for Nolan, because he is not meant to be 'realistic'. Nolan likes to pick and choose what can and cant be realistic. Batman can have a hovercraft, but bane cant have Venom?! He should have picked the Riddler, or maybe Mad Hatter or FireFly instead. Watch the movie, if you started liking Batman after Batman Begins, you will probably like it. But if you are an old fan, you might just be let down. Expand
  18. Sep 4, 2012
    What can I say. One of THE best superhero films out there, and most definitely a definitive way to end a brilliant trilogy. Can't recommend it more. Fight sequences were great if unflinching, and the story had many inventive twists to it. The dark Knight Rises ever higher.
  19. Sep 3, 2012
    With Batman Begins, Nolan set the benchmark for the superhero genre by showing us what it
  20. Sep 3, 2012
    Nolan's movies show off the unattractive bighead he really is. While busy pretending to be intelligent and dark he forgets to put in realistic, "human" behavior. This results in very sober movies that are not attractive in any way. His movies f.e. are lacking humor of any kind...hardly ever a smile is shown and often the plot is just so artificial it can't seriously be what normal thinking people like to see. I much more prefer the human kind of behaviour from actors in movies...The dark knight once again fails the "reality"test...which makes it an annoying waste of time. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! Expand
  21. Sep 3, 2012
    This is NOT a cinematographic legend or a myth. All the same, it is a great conclusion of a wonderful trilogy with all the Nolanesque style we're used to (deep characters, good photography, memorable script). I enjoyed it a lot and surely will watch it again. However, I was a bit disappointed by Marion Cotillard's character and her performance, as well as by some minor elements (final scenes, a bit of cliches in Zimmer's music that resemble Inception). Michael Caine FTW! Expand
  22. Sep 2, 2012
    Bane is a boring villain. There was too much Bruce Waine drama for too few Batman action. We were required to take too many leaps of faith. The people from Gotham (I mean, the good citizens) should have had more participation in the movie. The story feels a bit recycled, with the difference that this time it also feels nonsensical at parts. Despite all of this, I truly enjoyed the conclusion of the trilogy. Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt really enhanced the movie. The climax of the movie was well developed and I liked the ending. Expand
  23. Sep 2, 2012
    The plot of the film is not very complex but is the way in which it was structured that makes the whole magnificent. I loved how they were treated the characters and each plays a primary role in the film (including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I thought he would have a marginal role but ...). They talked about all the characters without skipping one. Fantastic as always Christian Bale, Michael Cayne (including I loved their relation as if they were their own family), Gary Oldam and all the actors of the original cast. Of the new entries I absolutely adored Anne Hathaway in the role of Selina Kyle where it was very good and I have to say maybe even better than Michelle Pfeiffer. Then Tom Hardy who plays Bane was formidable. Him, because of the mask, had to play with eyes and it was fabulous. In his eyes he read the intelligence of Bane (not like Batman and Robin) and looking at him he seemed to be always thinking of a strategy. Wonderful action scenes that, with marvelous special effects, leaves the audience speechless. The other things that surprised me were all the metaphors used in the film that you can not help but see and I liked a lot. I must say that some hole in the script there but nothing that bothers. One thing that some said is that in the film the time passed too quickly, which is not true because if you listen to the movie you can see how time has passed and you realize that there was a time jump to the plot. So for me the film is truly a masterpiece and would recommend to everyone, fan or not, going to see it because it's worth it. Expand
  24. Sep 1, 2012
    This movie is awesome.Better than The Avengers and The Hunger Games.Too much action.It's incredible the action.I thought that there isn't a hope.But it has a hope.
  25. Aug 31, 2012
    It was really rough in the begining but by the end of the film, It was very satisfying to watch. I absolutely loved Bane and thought he was a perfect villain but he didn't get enough on screen time imo. It was a very fitting end to the trilogy.
  26. Aug 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Too long, too boring, too stupid, too predictable. When you watch first scene in airplane you think nice directing and action but the story behind it and Bane's plan was so stupid that it was too funny to watch. A plot where some body builder with mask lock all of city policeman's (smart guys!) in a subway under city and than announce it on some football game followed with unnecessary violence (trough all the scenes with Bane) to make some stupid point is rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish. Bane breaks Batman's back and he get miraculously cured hanging from a rope in a cave! He liberates all policemen ant they attack Bane's people in that legendary scene where 10 000 people is shooting on each other in 20m distance and 2 guys die! Than they drop their weapons and start to hit each other. If this were a comedy it would be much better. Who wrote that plot. Can they put at least some suspension or unpredictability in movie? I mean who didn't know Robin will be that policeman? I don't know what is worse in this move. Acting, dialog's or story.
    Other reviewers say it's deep movie? On what drug are they on? They show cat women's character as good like this: She is walking down the street. Some guys are molesting a kid without any reason. She helps the kid, beating the guys. Omg how anyone come to idea to put that scene in move. And scenes like that just pops out everywhere. Batman is fighting on one part of town and in next scene he comes and helps cat women. I thought who cut the part between? What about that scene on wall street? Where those guys who act like janitors hide their motorcycles? Why did police made ramps for them to jump over the blockade? Why did they even attack wall street on that stupid way? It was so funny to see something that unrealistic and stupid in a movie. It's deep politically and social? Yes, if you are retard. It,s so superficial that you have to laugh. Avoid if you don't won to throw 3 hours of your life.
    Only way to enjoy in this movie is to accept it's very expansively produced, good directed brainless action which will unintentionally make you laugh so many times...
  27. Aug 30, 2012
    Whilst it's by no means a bad film, it does worry me that people regard this is as the pinnacle of mainstream entertainment. Some may praise its overbearing seriousness, but for me this feels like a lazy substitute for genuine screenwriting wit and imaginative storytelling. But I could excuse this if Nolan had a flair for action set-pieces. Blockbuster films like TDKR must thrill on the action level or they do not serve their purpose. The occasional IMAX shot of spectacle is not a substitute for a well choreographed and inventive action scenes such as most of those in Spielberg's films, Die Hard, or Children of Men - of which numerous spring memorably to mind. The same can't be said for TDKR - apart from the plane hijack, it all seemed a bit of a repetitive haze, and no particular scene had a strong impact. In place of any clever invention using props, environment, choreography and shot selection is a pounding, relentless score and endless punching.

In fact the whole film seems to mainly operate on one pitch, there is very little ebb and flow in the staging of scenes, only plot momentum. For example, when Bane takes Gotham, it is dealt with in a quick montage, so we never get a true sense of the atmosphere of this city overturned (think perhaps Escape from New York). The natural counter to this is to claim Nolan could not make such a scene longer and at the same time tell the story he wanted to in an acceptable timeframe. Therein lies Nolan's problem. He favours dense narratives with multiple characters and subplots over atmosphere and individual scene quality, leading to lots of short scenes, all of them a bit rushed and very few immersive. This would be more acceptable if it was an ensemble drama revealing some great insights into the human condition, but it isn't. It is a film about a man who fights crime in a bat suit. An action film. As such, Nolan's approach does not make for good entertainment.
  28. Aug 29, 2012
    The best of the current Batman trilogy! Great story and acting. Good cast too! This film takes you much deeper than the previous two and also keeps you guessing throughout it. Has a great ending and keeps the doors open.
  29. Aug 29, 2012
    This movie was awesome from the beginning to the end. I never enjoyed in a movie that good since The Dark Knight. The previous movie was way better. But this one was good too, it was exciting all the time. Anne Hathaway really surprised me with such performance. Also the ending was pretty amazing.
    The only thing I didn't liked about the movie was the ending with Blake - this was
    unnecessary. But anyway, it's a good movie. Expand
  30. Aug 27, 2012
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is an exciting, well-made, well-performed and well directed finale that Batman and Nolan fans will surely love this near flawless and worthy conclusion to the well loved franchise.

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.