8.4

1. dst
    Jul 20, 2012
    Sensationally concludes one of the greatest trilogies of modern cinema, and gives Bruce Wayne/Batman a satisfactory ending. Despite seeming muddled, flawed and overly complex at the beginning of the film the final act brings it's entirety together spectacularly and resolves questions that were asked even in the two prior films, bring the trilogy in a fulfilling circle.
  2. Jul 20, 2012
    absolutely amazing ok the best villain of the trilogy was heath ledger but tom hardy was amazing in his own right christian bale embodies batman and bruce wayne, christopher nolan deserves an oscar for this movie its that good just brilliant. beautifully shoot in imax great story and ann hathaway was unbelievable great she totally deserves her own catwoman movie can not recommend thisabsolutely amazing ok the best villain of the trilogy was heath ledger but tom hardy was amazing in his own right christian bale embodies batman and bruce wayne, christopher nolan deserves an oscar for this movie its that good just brilliant. beautifully shoot in imax great story and ann hathaway was unbelievable great she totally deserves her own catwoman movie can not recommend this seminal movie any higher GO AND SEE IT NOW Expand
  3. Jul 20, 2012
    Modern day Citizen Kane. This is a fascistic look at revolt in a city of desperation. Nolan delivers with a grand slam. Epic conclusion to the most epic trilogy of all time.
  4. Jul 20, 2012
    An epic, visceral, emotional ride. A truly grand feat of filmmaking. Is it better than The Dark Knight? No. But then again, under the circumstances, there was no way it ever could be. What it IS however, is a fitting conclusion to Nolan's Batman saga, the best film he could have possibly made without Heath Ledger. Nolan has beaten the "superhero threequel curse" and delivered the secondAn epic, visceral, emotional ride. A truly grand feat of filmmaking. Is it better than The Dark Knight? No. But then again, under the circumstances, there was no way it ever could be. What it IS however, is a fitting conclusion to Nolan's Batman saga, the best film he could have possibly made without Heath Ledger. Nolan has beaten the "superhero threequel curse" and delivered the second best Batman film ever made, and arguably, the second best comic-book movie too. A must see (but come on, you were going to see it anyway). Expand
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    Honestly, I can say this movie kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time which is surprising considering I nearly fell asleep at the last movie I saw which was this length, which was the most recent remake of king kong...
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    The critics picked this film apart, but it was a thoroughly satisfying end to the best trilogy of the past decade. 2.5 hours well spent by me thanks to 4 years well spent by Christopher Nolan and company.
  7. Jul 20, 2012
    why SO SERIOUS ........................................ stupid marvel dumb asses giveing bad review

way better that DISNEY'S avanger ****
  8. Jul 20, 2012
    Incredible film. Best movie of all-time. Action, dialogue, drama, emotion, hopelessness, resiliency, this movie had at all. Bale, Caine, Freeman, Hathaway, Oldman, Leavitt, Cotilliard, and Hardy all NAILED their parts. Fantastic ending that wrapped up the trilogy perfectly.
  9. Jul 20, 2012
    much better than The Dark Knight. Bane is a much more dangerous villain than Joker. watching batman being broken both in body and spirit by Bane, and then pick himself up again to fight for his beloved gotham is amazing to see. something the joker was unable to do. TDKR has a great storyline and was much more plausible than the dark knight where joker was a one man show with an unlimitedmuch better than The Dark Knight. Bane is a much more dangerous villain than Joker. watching batman being broken both in body and spirit by Bane, and then pick himself up again to fight for his beloved gotham is amazing to see. something the joker was unable to do. TDKR has a great storyline and was much more plausible than the dark knight where joker was a one man show with an unlimited amount of explosives he got from god knows where. to somehow plant it without anybody else knowing. and then somehow getting a whole city to play his game exactly the way he wants it. Expand
  10. Jul 20, 2012
    A Master Piece .
    That is how thing will end up if terrorist show up , A Legend will born Consist alot of fighting then Dark Knight
    And also more then Begin. This is how a movie should be! With a nice soundtrack and a Brilliant special effect. Rise contain about 9 TV SPOT ( Trailer ) but don worry to watch them! They are all in the beginning , like in the early 30 minute. Prepare to
    A Master Piece .
    And also more then Begin.
    This is how a movie should be!
    With a nice soundtrack and a Brilliant special effect.
    Rise contain about 9 TV SPOT ( Trailer ) but don worry to watch them!
    They are all in the beginning , like in the early 30 minute.
    Prepare to be AMAZED !
    After watching it , Avenger kinda look like a teenage movie.
  11. Jul 20, 2012
    Amazing really, Nolan close one of the best superhero sagas of all the time, that have amazing performances, the story and the development is really amazing. The performance of Christian Bale is really awesome, and the two new villians Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are really cool, the rest of the cast is very amazing. The movie is awesome, have a great end and yes is one of the best moviesAmazing really, Nolan close one of the best superhero sagas of all the time, that have amazing performances, the story and the development is really amazing. The performance of Christian Bale is really awesome, and the two new villians Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are really cool, the rest of the cast is very amazing. The movie is awesome, have a great end and yes is one of the best movies of this year. Expand
  12. Jul 20, 2012
    Wow...what a movie!!!! I gave The Dark Knight Rises a 9 because it isn't perfect, but it is darn close. If you thought The Dark Knight was "dark", then "Rises" is a black hole where no light can survive. Compared to "Rises", TDK was a Bugs Bunny cartoon. This movie is the EPIC conclusion to Chris Nolan's stellar Batman trilogy. The story is huge, the action is huge and the intensity isWow...what a movie!!!! I gave The Dark Knight Rises a 9 because it isn't perfect, but it is darn close. If you thought The Dark Knight was "dark", then "Rises" is a black hole where no light can survive. Compared to "Rises", TDK was a Bugs Bunny cartoon. This movie is the EPIC conclusion to Chris Nolan's stellar Batman trilogy. The story is huge, the action is huge and the intensity is monumental. This movie is not suitable for small children. It is rated PG-13 for a very good reason. The regulars in the cast were magnificent, as usual. To my surprise, I thought Ann Hathaway was very good as Catwoman. While Tom Hardy did an admirable job as Bane, I did have trouble understanding what he was saying at times. I read once that Christopher Nolan said he wanted to elevate the comic book superhero genre to the next level with his Batman movies. All I have to say to Mr. Nolan is "Mission Accomplished!!" God Bless the victims and the families affected by the Aurora shooting tragedy. Expand
  13. Jul 26, 2012
    I waited more than 2 years for this film, and damn, it was worth it! The story is so awesome and well done. It only starts a little bit slowly but it's fine. Bane isn't as good as The Joker in The Dark Knight (that is very difficult though), but Tom Hardy does a very very good job. Anne Hathaway has surprised me, I thought she would be boring and bad, but like Tom Hardy, she acts veryI waited more than 2 years for this film, and damn, it was worth it! The story is so awesome and well done. It only starts a little bit slowly but it's fine. Bane isn't as good as The Joker in The Dark Knight (that is very difficult though), but Tom Hardy does a very very good job. Anne Hathaway has surprised me, I thought she would be boring and bad, but like Tom Hardy, she acts very well. I don't know why some people hate this movie, but I enjoyed it like heaven!!! Expand
  14. Jul 24, 2012
    The dark knight rises is a near perfect movie. Yes I do miss the Joker, but while seeing the movie, I realized that it didn't need it in this story. Bane might not be the biggest and most impressive villain, but the story is one hell of a story. Fans of Batman will surely see all the secrets that are hidden within the movie. I'm not going to spoil anything because I believe you shouldThe dark knight rises is a near perfect movie. Yes I do miss the Joker, but while seeing the movie, I realized that it didn't need it in this story. Bane might not be the biggest and most impressive villain, but the story is one hell of a story. Fans of Batman will surely see all the secrets that are hidden within the movie. I'm not going to spoil anything because I believe you should watch and judge by yourself. I have a few complaints with bane's voice. I couldn't understand everything he said. It's better now than when the original 10 minutes screening was shown in december, but still. Nolan did an incredible job. Yes some things will displease some people, but that's the way with the most anticipated movies: You can't please everyone. there will always be people who love it and others who won't. I think most will really love it and some who'll really hate, but not that much in between. I was one of those who really loved that movie I'll leave it to you to you to judge, but it's a movie you should definitely go and see. well? what are you waiting for? GO! Expand
  15. Jul 26, 2012
    the story confuse me. The movie has some scenes from the other two movies for this reason i confused (maybe). In general, this is the end that deserve to dark knight , i hope some day Cristofer Nolan continue this phenom movie. Additionally the sountrack and the technology that use the film are excellent.
  16. Aug 2, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rise is this years best film. It's not like the Dark Knight good vs. evil yes, that element is there however, it mostly man vs. self. It will take you down many different emotions (if you let it) with a completed ending -not of a hero but, of a story.
  17. Jul 23, 2012
    TDKR begins with a bang and continues throughout as a cinematic masterpiece and one of the most powerful conclusions to any story told on film. While it may not be a perfect film, The Dark Knight Rises is likely the closest thing we will get to that until Christopher Nolan
  18. Jul 26, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises even with its flaws, it's the most charming on franchise. Nolan concludes The Dark Knight legend in spectacular fashion with ambitious direction, thoughtful and top-notch performance.
  19. Jul 20, 2012
    A true cinematic masterpiece. It was no where near perfect, but it did so many things right it is hard not to give it a perfect 10. The highlights were Anne Hathaway as catwoman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
  20. Jul 20, 2012
    A decent b movie but compared to its predecessor is woefully lacking of its potential. There were huge plot holes banes voice was odd and had "god" re verb so it sounded like he was everywhere unlike everyone else in the scenes. Several things in the movie were so ridiculous and unneeded I burst out laughing( batmans "where is it like 6 times in a row" and had me asking why? Decent movieA decent b movie but compared to its predecessor is woefully lacking of its potential. There were huge plot holes banes voice was odd and had "god" re verb so it sounded like he was everywhere unlike everyone else in the scenes. Several things in the movie were so ridiculous and unneeded I burst out laughing( batmans "where is it like 6 times in a row" and had me asking why? Decent movie but such a sour bite(in comparison) to finish off an otherwise masterful trilogy. Expand
  21. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie was truly epic! Enjoyed it from start to finish :) Some people say its a bit cliché but its a superhero movie so the formula will be roughly the same. Thought Nolan did a terrific job considering they had to follow up from "Dark Knight" and a superb Heath Ledger (RIP) as the Joker. The music was mind blowing (Thank you Hans Zimmer) and really set the pace/mood throughout.This movie was truly epic! Enjoyed it from start to finish :) Some people say its a bit cliché but its a superhero movie so the formula will be roughly the same. Thought Nolan did a terrific job considering they had to follow up from "Dark Knight" and a superb Heath Ledger (RIP) as the Joker. The music was mind blowing (Thank you Hans Zimmer) and really set the pace/mood throughout. The fight scenes were action packed and the whole trilogy is tied together by different events. Thought the storyline was good also and i liked how they went about it. IF you're skeptical about going to see it i would recommend you go just so you can make up your mind for yourselves. Any Dark Knight/Superhero fans shouldn't be disappointed .

22. Jul 21, 2012
    I had astronomical expectations for this film. I was so happy that not only did it meet my expectations but it blew past them.

I re-watched the previous two films in the trilogy the night before. This movie ties in much more heavily with the first than the second. There's so much awesome plot and character development that connects this to the first film to make it seem larger than life.

The acting was phenomenal and Anne Hathaway's performance as Catwoman was great. This is the kind movie that will leave you awestruck, laughing, and crying all at the same time. (No joke, a huge majority of the theater was crying at one point.)

I saw it at the Lincoln Center Imax (largest screen in the country 100x85 feet or something). This is the only way to see the movie. I felt a part of the dark knight world. Especially the fight scenes between batman and bane. You truly feel every hit that was exchanged. Also the imax resolution was phenomenal. It wasn't watching a movie this was a life experience everyone should have.

Finally for the comparisons. I feel Bane was a better villain than the joker. Joker was awesome for all the chaos and his sick humor, but bane was visceral, ferocious, and extremely intelligent. It just made him more menacing. He even brings Gotham to its knees! As for the Avengers. Two completely different styles of film but the story in this movie as well as the characters and acting were just so much more enjoyable and entertaining than the avengers.

I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did. Also rewatch the previous two films before hand to really see just how well tied in these films are.
  23. Aug 2, 2012
    This movie from beginning to end is the best movie I have ever seen. It has superior action, characters, and climax. It feels like it goes to fast but it is s really long movies, it will leave you wanting more.
  24. Jul 20, 2012
    Best movie of the year!! loved the ending. Bane was crazy as the villian. great way to end this amazing trilogy. props to chris nolan for his astonashing work over the past decade
  25. Jul 20, 2012
    Wow, just wow.

For the Dark Knight Rises to meet my expectations was going to be unbelievably hard, near impossible even, but it succeeded. Its a beautifully shot, awe inspiring epic film making at its best. The new characters mix in brilliantly to the verse and Alfred gives The Dark Knight Rises the depth it so desperately needs. Though the Joker is missed for his anarchy and sheer
    Wow, just wow.

Though the Joker is missed for his anarchy and sheer surprise, its something that just cannot be dwelled on, Heath Ledger died along with the Nolan Joker. Bane is a great and very different villain, he is a ferocious and brutal adversary, Tom Hardy fills his shoes very well and portrays a rather surprising amount of emotion just through his eyes. Anne Hathaway is a scene stealer with her cheeky Selina Kyle, a very different take on Catwoman from Michelle Pfeiffer's. She's playful, fun and above all sexy, something that Anne Hathaway hasn't really portrayed before. But kudos go to Christian Bale who gives it all he has as Batman/Bruce Wayne, he makes the character so fleshed out and above all human and his return to the action in the film is one of the highlights.

What Dark Knight Rises manages to do is keep its long running time light on its feet, with a plot that is both engaging and interesting. It all ties together and comes full circle which is exactly what you want from a third film.

The cinematography and set pieces are just unbelievable, the choice not to use 3D benefits this film, it can stand on its own without this irritating gimmick and hopefully Dark Knight Rises will signal the reemergence of non 3D films and films shot in IMAX instead.

All in all Dark Knight Rises is a must see for fans of the last two film and anyone that likes quality film making. It gave me goosebumps on around six separate occasions, you know it's a good thing when that happens. This trilogy has been nothing short of epic and will live on well past its run at the cinemas.
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    Just saw this movie and it is the best superhero movie ever made, The Avengers is childs play compared to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  27. Jul 23, 2012
    You have to respect that Chistopher Nolan was hesitant about returning to the batman franchise unless he came up with a satisfactory ending. He did. From the opening scene to the final shot, the pace never falters, the set pieces are jaw dropping, and Tom Hardy as Bane is absolutely terrifying. The supporting cast is remarkable, especially Michael Caine who gives one of his greatestYou have to respect that Chistopher Nolan was hesitant about returning to the batman franchise unless he came up with a satisfactory ending. He did. From the opening scene to the final shot, the pace never falters, the set pieces are jaw dropping, and Tom Hardy as Bane is absolutely terrifying. The supporting cast is remarkable, especially Michael Caine who gives one of his greatest performances to date. The ending is simply incredible, every character gets a great end to their story arc, (especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt), and there is a total sense of closure, no loose threads, no plot holes, just complete closure. While some might find Bane a slightly less engaging villain than Heath's Joker, the movie itself, too me at least, easily takes the title of the greatest super hero film in not only the Nolan trilogy, but one of the absolutely greatest films ever made. Expand
  28. Jul 24, 2012
    Wow, The Dark Knight Rises did an amazing job of closing out Chris Nolan's amazing interpretation of the Caped Crusader. The action is top notch, the plot: stunning, and the direction simply spectacular. The cast delivers amazing performances all around, and Michael Caine's Alfred will pull on your heartstrings in nearly every scene. The interpretations of Hardy's Bane and Hathaway's KyleWow, The Dark Knight Rises did an amazing job of closing out Chris Nolan's amazing interpretation of the Caped Crusader. The action is top notch, the plot: stunning, and the direction simply spectacular. The cast delivers amazing performances all around, and Michael Caine's Alfred will pull on your heartstrings in nearly every scene. The interpretations of Hardy's Bane and Hathaway's Kyle are nearly perfect in Nolan's Gotham, with the former posing an intimidating, true rival to Bruce Wayne, and the latter a The breakout star though is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, not gonna say much there but you'll see. The film does take some time "to get in the swing of things", but the setup ultimately enhances the stunning climax of the film and possibly the entire series. Truly an entertaining, edge-of-your-seat, deeply layered, action-packed, emotional thrill-ride that cements Batman's legacy as well of all involved. I recommend repeat viewings so that you can fill in some of those "plot-holes" people keep mentioning IMAX if you can, definitely worth it. Those last few minutes - I don't think I've ever seen a better ending to a film, hyperbole and all. Expand
  29. Jul 27, 2012
    I say the movie is more 8.5 total. Better than "The Amazing Spiderman". Not as good as the second movie in this new batman trilogy. I feel the movie drags a bit in the beginning. The story relates to the first one with no real mention of the Joker for obvious reasons and is difficult to follow at times. But overall the movie very satisfying and is a great ride. The acting is superb allI say the movie is more 8.5 total. Better than "The Amazing Spiderman". Not as good as the second movie in this new batman trilogy. I feel the movie drags a bit in the beginning. The story relates to the first one with no real mention of the Joker for obvious reasons and is difficult to follow at times. But overall the movie very satisfying and is a great ride. The acting is superb all around and the plot actually believable to an extent. See this movie if you haven't already. Expand
  30. Aug 22, 2012
    Let me begin the review with this statement: THIS IS THE BEST SUPERHERO FILM MADE SO FAR! I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me because of the Dark Knight and the idiots are going to call the Avengers the best film but forget it, they're just idiots. I have been waiting since 2008 and have watched the first two films almost a hundred times and after watching this third film,Let me begin the review with this statement: THIS IS THE BEST SUPERHERO FILM MADE SO FAR! I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me because of the Dark Knight and the idiots are going to call the Avengers the best film but forget it, they're just idiots. I have been waiting since 2008 and have watched the first two films almost a hundred times and after watching this third film, I can clearly say that it was worth waiting for! The amount of anticipation and that hype it created was too enormous and it all got paid off. Nobody has ever made superhero films like Christopher Nolan, hence this trilogy is the best superhero trilogy. The acting, the direction, the screenplay, the cinematography, the production design, the costumes, the CGIs, the great cast and not releasing it in 3D being one of the most important things; everything about this film was flawless. Moving on to this film, the epic conclusion, I have no words to explain how happy I felt after watching it. Christian Bale's performance as Batman was mesmerizing as ever. And the way Tom Hardy performed as Bane was just astounding, he kept me terrified throughout the film especially after taking over Gotham city. Another important thing to notice was Bane's character, I read somewhere a couple of days ago that it is a superhero film without a superhero, and this is correct. This film focused more on Bane and the Gotham city. Another interesting part was when Bane actually broke Batman's back and sent him to prison, and then Batman rises again and comes back to save his city, that bit was too awesome. Anne Hathaway shined as Catwoman, I liked her performance as well as Joseph Gordon-Levitt's. Every single person in this film did more than amazing and turned it into a masterpiece. Hats off to Christopher Nolan for giving us a masterpiece, a trilogy that would be remembered for centuries. I would really like if this film gets all the big nominations in the Academy Awards and actually wins the Best Picture. This would be the best thing ever! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.