7.2

1. May 30, 2014
    The Den was an amazing experience, it's a film full of intensity and effective jump scares, one of the best found-footage films of the year, one of the best films of the year, very, very underrated, i just love this film and all the issues realted with the "Deep Web".
  2. Jun 3, 2014
    Consensus: The Den is an underrated horror masterpiece, extremely violent, filled with jump scares and tense situations related to the mysterious "Deep Web". 91/100 (A-)

Directed by Zachary Donohue, The Den is an underrated found-footage film of 2014. There are now a lot of found footage films, mostly of them are trashy. The Den is that rare, little and unfamous found-footage film that
    unusually works. I saw this film at night with the lights turned on. My sister was using her laptop beside me and she said me "Why are you jumping so much?" and then i said to her "I'm watching an horror film called The Den". This film is definitly the best found-footage film of the year and one of the best films of the year for me, i really don't care your **** opinion.

Horror is my favorite genre but horror films don't scare me at all, i just like the genre. The Den scared me so much, forget The Conjuring and The Exorcist, this was a real frightening experience. This is my kind of film, very impressive, very scary, epic and unforgettable. This film scared me so much that i almost die, i couldn't sleep that night, literally, i'm not a thirteen year-old girl!, this film is scary because all the situations that these characters experienced are real.

"The Den" is extremely violent and messes with you, you'll jump, you'll be entertained, This underrated gem is awesome. Elizabeth Benton (Melanie Papalia) logs onto a video-chat site known as the Den, on a mission to explore the habits of its users. During one of her random video-chats, Elizabeth watches in horror as a teenage girl is gruesomely murdered in front of her webcam. While the police dismiss it as a viral prank, Elizabeth believes what she saw is real and takes it upon herself to find the truth.

Its execution is impressive, it's a very entertaining film, for some people it's a bit silly and mediocre, i really don't understand all the people who dislike this little horror masterpiece. Horror genre need more films like The Den, because this film is modern and REAL, this film was inspired in a true story, have you even noticed?. The film is very different and very smart compared to all these new trashy found-footage films like (Mr. Jones, Alien Abduction, etc). The characters here are pretty likable and you care of them, the performances are excellent, Melanie Papalia, the protagonist, does a remarkable job here as the other performers. The direction, just WOW!, Stunning, vibrant, energic, mind-twisted, amazing. Very effective and entertaining film.

There are here a lot of violent, disturbing, epic and unforgettable scenes, the first act is creepy as hell and has some suspense. The second act is violent and filled with a lot of effective jump-scares. The third act is an explosion, lots of action, lots of violence, BOOM! (kinda remind me to Saw and Hostel in all the right ways). Watch this film in your computer, it's a full experience. Not perfect but close to it, It will blow your brains out.

The Den develops perfectly very important issues like the mysterious "deep web". One tip before you see this film, search on Google "Deep Web" then... see this film. Don't watch any trailer or read the full synopsis, just do this. You won't sleep. Visit my blog: www.memobosque.blogspot.mx Twitter: @MemoBosque
  3. Mar 31, 2014
    It is below mediocre, nothing remarkable, it is basically a little slasher horror film with an internet connection. The creators are just willing to deliver the same usual scares, with just adding complexity to the plot that is ineffective!
  4. Aug 9, 2014
    OMG those are my first words about this movie. I will first say I'm a Horror movie buff and I have seen more horror films then I can count and it is my favorite genre of films so with that said I will begin. I had first seen a trailer and heard about this movie a few months prior to it's release and I couldn't wait to watch it just based on the premise. I love found footage movies.

I
    will say that I didn't know any of the actors nor was I worried bc that doesn't always make a great horror film as this shows. The actors did a terrific job especially the main girl Elizabeth. I will say that for a short film it was Uber intense and very much kept you on the edge of your seat. The violence was gritty and in your face and the questions it raises are very valid especially from a technology standpoint. I for one don't scare easy at all and the jump scares were the best I have seen in a while and even knowing they were coming and it still got me was Impressive.

I would recommend this movie to any and all that love horror and appreciate what this film does in the time span it is allotted. I would also note that the movie does raise one or two questions but nothing that would kill the movie buzz once the credits start rolling. I for one hope this director keeps up with his career bc as I said I love this movie and it is def going in the books for direction as well as great scares and overall atmosphere.
  5. Aug 11, 2014
    Just enough bang for your buck in this thriller.
    Intense and unnerving, kept me on the edge of my seat. Me being a huge technology buff, this was right up my alley.

Usually I'm not one to enjoy a movie set basically in the same setting, All The Time, 'man on a ledge', 'open water'... etc. However, this tech scene, computer wise with webcams and camera phones, camera's... etc... was
    spectacular.

It gave me just enough jumps and moments where I felt the need to turn away or cringe and cower into myself on the couch, yet couldn't take my eyes off my laptop. It is a MUST to watch on your computer, alone, in the dark, headphones locked in tight.

Definitely more of a thriller than a horror movie.

1. Reviewed by: Martin Tsai
    Mar 20, 2014
    Like many found-footage films before it, The Den never entirely suspends disbelief. It doesn't satisfyingly account for how the characters are producing all the footage.
  2. Reviewed by: Frank Scheck
    Mar 17, 2014
    This is the rare film that would actually seem even creepier watched from home on your computer, preferably alone to enhance its voyeuristic effect.
  3. Reviewed by: Susan Wloszczyna
    Mar 14, 2014
    At least it's admirable that Donohue manages to do almost all his shooting with either web cams, phone cams or surveillance cameras. But that does not translate into an entirely enjoyable viewing experience. Plus, there are almost no real shocks or scares to rattle you out of the stupor that inevitably develops from observing someone else fiddle with their laptop for much of the running time.