8.1

1. Apr 24, 2015
    The Departed is a perfect example of why remakes shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Director Martin Scorsese and screenwriter William Monahan have taken the B-grade Hong Kong crime flick Infernal Affairs and re-imagined it as an American epic tragedy. The original film was gritty and entertaining; the new version is a masterpiece - the best effort Scorsese has brought to the screen sinceThe Departed is a perfect example of why remakes shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Director Martin Scorsese and screenwriter William Monahan have taken the B-grade Hong Kong crime flick Infernal Affairs and re-imagined it as an American epic tragedy. The original film was gritty and entertaining; the new version is a masterpiece - the best effort Scorsese has brought to the screen since Goodfellas (ending a decade-long drought of disappointments and near-misses). In making The Departed, Scorsese has retained the essential plot structure of Infernal Affairs but has transformed the movie into something truly his own. Characters are better defined and situations are given an opportunity to breathe. None of this is done at the cost of pacing; The Departed is as suspenseful as anything the director has previously achieved. This movie deserves mention alongside Scorsese's most celebrated movies: Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, and The Age of Innocence.

On-screen talent pools don't get much deeper than this one, with A-list actors like Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg, and Alec Baldwin accepting supporting roles. Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon prove two crucial things: they are not interchangeable and, when pushed by someone who can direct actors, they can give riveting performances. DiCaprio has displayed growth in each of his appearances for Scorsese, and this is by far the best work he has done in his career. Jack Nicholson is in top form, providing a diabolical villain who can deliver a monologue with unparalleled verve. His part is showy enough that it will be virtually impossible for him to be ignored at Oscar time. Up-and-coming actress Vera Farmiga and British tough guy Ray Winstone round out a cast that, if not perfect, is close to it.

The consistent levels of intrigue and tension are among The Departed's high points. Scorsese draws viewers in with a captivating monologue delivered by Nicholson at a time in the past (the date is not specified, but it is presumably the early 1980s), which includes the most memorable two lines in Monahan's screenplay: "I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." After this quick introduction, the scene shifts to the present. It takes a little while for the ins-and-outs of the setup to become clear, but once the sides are established and the cat-and-mouse games begin, the suspense begins to slowly simmer. Even knowing what was coming (from having seen Infernal Affairs), I remained on the edge of my seat. Unlike many remakes, this one feels fresh, not recycled.

Thematically, The Departed fits well with the director's oeuvre. The movie concentrates on family and betrayal, and what constitute both. The lead characters are loners, but they are linked to the world of Boston gangsters by blood ties. Each also commits at least one betrayal, but the question becomes "Who are they betraying?" It's not as easy to answer as one might suspect. In the murky waters of double agents, moles, and rats, loyalty isn't a facile commodity to gauge. Every character ultimately earns his or her fate, except perhaps one.

Two technical hallmarks of Scorsese's films are in evidence. Michael Ballhaus' cinematography is intense and moody. Even though a significant portion of the movie was shot in New York City, the feel is "all Boston." Howard Shore provides the score, but the most notable aspect of the soundtrack is the near-perfect song selection. For the third time in his career, Scorsese uses the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" (see also Goodfellas and Casino). He also employs a cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" during a key sequence.

Since this is a gangster film, there's plenty of bloodletting and profanity, although one could argue that The Departed is tame compared to some of what Scorsese has given us in the past. Nevertheless, seeing the respected director back at the top of his game with a movie that could be both commercially and critically successful is a source of jubilation. The movies have been in the doldrums lately; The Departed is a much needed tonic. It's also one of 2006's best features.
  2. Apr 20, 2015
    The Boston police department manages to place young cadet Billy Costigan (DiCaprio) deep undercover in the city’s Irish-American gangland, run by the violent Frank Costello (Nicholson). But gangster Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) has also signed on to join the police force, planning to leak information back to Costello.

Boston gangster Frank Costello puts his gun to the back of a woman’s

Boston gangster Frank Costello puts his gun to the back of a woman’s head, pulls the trigger in the nonchalant manner with which he’d light a cigarette and, as she stumbles over her husband’s already-murdered corpse, casually reports, “She fell funny”. Obscene and dangerously insane, Costello is the driving force powering The Departed, Martin Scorsese’s return to his urban roots after a decade of period pieces. Then, he is played by Jack Nicholson. This marks the first teaming of America’s premier cinematic dynamos.

The set-up certainly draws out the best in a cast, led by Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, that’s probably unused to working in someone else’s shadow. Then, this is Jack Nicholson. DiCaprio is Billy Costigan, the cop working his way inside Costello’s gang; Damon is Colin Sullivan, the criminal’s protégé groomed from a young age to become a police mole, leaking information from inside the force.

When it comes to the dynamics of filmmaking, Scorsese still has few peers — an elevator shoot-out in the third act could easily be this year’s tensest scene. The Departed is a sort of time machine: it recalls the richness and moral ambiguity of Hollywood’s ’70s, presenting stories about real people absent of turn-of-the-millennium concerns. They curse, have sex, lie, fight — and sometimes die horribly. This is a superbly crafted movie that holds its own alongside, say, Serpico and The French Connection, with their amoral characters and intense, realistic action. Yet, despite its many layers, the director clearly has no ambition to break new ground. The surprising moments of humour that leaven the story suggest that he’s having fun with a film that puts him back on the mean streets, but with no intention of detailing the cogs of the criminal world.

Back to the streets and with a stellar cast, Martin Scorsese proves once again that he’s the master of urban storytelling — and of thrillingly violent filmmaking.
  3. Mar 31, 2015
    It may seem weird to say, but this is my favorite Scorsese Film. I know Scorsese's filmography is amazing, but the blend of humor, witty dialogue, great acting, and a plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat right up until the unpredictable ending create a true modern masterpiece. The hilarious dialogue, is matched only by the great soundtrack which is both area, and time appropriate.It may seem weird to say, but this is my favorite Scorsese Film. I know Scorsese's filmography is amazing, but the blend of humor, witty dialogue, great acting, and a plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat right up until the unpredictable ending create a true modern masterpiece. The hilarious dialogue, is matched only by the great soundtrack which is both area, and time appropriate. All of this combined makes the Departed one of my favorite films of all time. Expand
  4. Mar 20, 2015
    A gritty, thrilling, intense, and intricately woven crime thriller. Want to see what the big deal about Scorcesse is? Watch this movie, arguably one of the best gangster dramas of all time. The direction is so tight and laser beam precise that I can't do it justice in writing. The acting is all great, even though Nicholson does admittedly go a little too over the top in some scenes, andA gritty, thrilling, intense, and intricately woven crime thriller. Want to see what the big deal about Scorcesse is? Watch this movie, arguably one of the best gangster dramas of all time. The direction is so tight and laser beam precise that I can't do it justice in writing. The acting is all great, even though Nicholson does admittedly go a little too over the top in some scenes, and the story is engrossing and filled with consuming paranoia. This is also a very excitingly violent movie. Some will argue that there are too many Scorcesse-isms that we've seen too many times before, but I never felt like the story was just going through the motions or being anything other than authentic. A great movie. Expand
  5. Feb 15, 2015
    Martin Scorsese adds another excellent film to his resume with The Departed. This film shows some individuality compared to his other films and boasts a cast with some of the best actors in film. Leo DiCaprio, who has been known to collaborate with Scorsese is pitted against Matt Damon although neither character has much interaction with each other through the film. Jack Nicholson showsMartin Scorsese adds another excellent film to his resume with The Departed. This film shows some individuality compared to his other films and boasts a cast with some of the best actors in film. Leo DiCaprio, who has been known to collaborate with Scorsese is pitted against Matt Damon although neither character has much interaction with each other through the film. Jack Nicholson shows that he is just as good as he ever was in the role of the main villain. I think he could've been given an Oscar nomination for his role in this movie. Then you also have Mark Wahlberg and Martin Sheen in supporting roles. Wahlberg is excellent despite his screen time limits and he is the only actor who received an Oscar nomination in the movie (he lost to Alan Arkin). The Departed will leave you guessing right until the end, with a twist that will certainly blow your mind. Expand
  6. Jan 21, 2015
    The Departed is overlong, overwritten but also terribly rushed at times. Several supporting characters in the film are left not underdeveloped but undeveloped. All the characters (apart from Dicaprio's who is the only person who undergoes some some sort of emotional transformation) are wooden, almost heartless at times (Matt Damon being the worst). The love triangle forced into the filmThe Departed is overlong, overwritten but also terribly rushed at times. Several supporting characters in the film are left not underdeveloped but undeveloped. All the characters (apart from Dicaprio's who is the only person who undergoes some some sort of emotional transformation) are wooden, almost heartless at times (Matt Damon being the worst). The love triangle forced into the film made no sense. It feels completely out of place and was frankly pointless. The entire plot feels a bit too McGuffin-y and goes beyond nonsensical at times. So Costello needs not one but 2 moles in the police despite the fact that he's already under the protection of the FBI? Good move there Costello. The dialogue is terrible. It's just cursing for no real thematic purpose. And don't even get me started about that godawful ending. This wasn't Hamlet, it was just stupid and ridiculous. It's all false drama with no real emotional stakes. The Departed is all surface, no depth, all style, no substance. Expand
  7. Jan 17, 2015
    I don't know if it was supposed to be a serious film or what, but I did laugh a heck lot. The screenplay was really engrossing.

And it is simply put, unpredictable, and balanced. A simple thing, enhanced, as most have noticed. Scorsese and, definitely, Nicholson, took it away.
  8. Dec 3, 2014
    I honestly do not know why many people say it's a masterpiece. For me it was a good movie, but not a masterpiece. However, the actors do a great job..
  9. Aug 27, 2014
    Fundamental Martin Scorsese. The film is tremendously well-written and casted. There should no comparisons to Goodfellas or The Godfather; The Departed is a new addition to the group. A worthy addition, at that.
  10. Aug 17, 2014
    A gripping, action-packed thriller, full of sudden twists and some literally breathtaking moments. If this is all you are looking for, watch it. Definitely.
  11. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Departed is absolutely the best movie by director Martin Scorsese (in my opinion). There was never a dull moment during the 152 minutes you'd use to watch this film.
  12. Jun 16, 2014
    A truly drama, crime thriller masterpiece in which cops and criminals struggle to find out the mole inside their own forces in an attempt to finish their businesses smoothly. While Billy Costigan gradually loses his former personality due to playing the character of a criminal for too long, Colin Sullivan works on a new plan to both get rid of his boss, "godfather" Frank Costello and theA truly drama, crime thriller masterpiece in which cops and criminals struggle to find out the mole inside their own forces in an attempt to finish their businesses smoothly. While Billy Costigan gradually loses his former personality due to playing the character of a criminal for too long, Colin Sullivan works on a new plan to both get rid of his boss, "godfather" Frank Costello and the informer who has infiltrated Frank's gang. I was a bit disappointed by the end of the film; Billy died trying to avenge the death of his captain, Queenan. But I still think the movie is great because Sergeant Dignam, eventually, successfully kills Colin as a worthy punishment of this smart-street criminal. Wonderful flick that i would recommend to anyone looking for a crime blockbuster Expand
  13. TEM
    May 21, 2014
    My favorite film of all time. Leonardo DiCaprio delivers his best performance which is saying a great deal considering all the great performances he has delivered. Martin Scorsese is at his best and leads an all star cast through an amazingly perfect story. From beginning to end this movie never slows down or sees a dull moment.
  14. May 14, 2014
    great movie, suspenseful great plot the acting in this this is great flawless performances by everyone this movie stays interesting the character development was great. worth buying a copy of 9/10
  15. May 4, 2014
    Martin Scorsese has a superb movie in every decade 70s: Taxi Driver 80s: Raging Bull 90s: Goodfellas and he kept the streak alive with The Departed for the 2000s, this film has all the tools, superb casting, performances, charachterization and direction. Matt Damon is great as the corrupt cop, DiCaprio is in one of his best as the undercover cop, Mark Wahlberg as the butt-kicking cop, andMartin Scorsese has a superb movie in every decade 70s: Taxi Driver 80s: Raging Bull 90s: Goodfellas and he kept the streak alive with The Departed for the 2000s, this film has all the tools, superb casting, performances, charachterization and direction. Matt Damon is great as the corrupt cop, DiCaprio is in one of his best as the undercover cop, Mark Wahlberg as the butt-kicking cop, and finally the performance that made this movie what it is Jack Nicholson as Frank Costello, in 1972 Jack was in talks to play Michael Corleone in The Godfather and i always kept thinking how Jack would play a gangster, in 2006 Jack put on one of his best perfomances as Irish Mafia Leader. I would totally recommend this movie to anyone Expand
  16. Apr 9, 2014
    One of the best Martin Scorsese's movies.There is not too much action but there is an interesting story. I know it's a remake from a Japanese movie and i watched it but Scorsese's one is by far the best.
  17. Jan 16, 2014
    Who better to helm a two-and-a-half-hour long dramatic irony marathon than one of cinema's greatest seminal filmmakers? Scorsese's Best-Picture-Winning "The Departed" surely deserves all of the hype it has received over the years, as it's an almost infinite spiral of intrigue, tension, aesthetic merit, and wondrously playful dialogue.
  18. Jan 7, 2014
    Como um amigo havia dito, OS INFILTRADOS uma aula de cinema em todos os sentidos.
  19. Jan 2, 2014
    One of the greatest movies I've ever seen. The plot behind this movie portrays Whitey Bulger which makes the movie interesting. When I saw that Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg were in this movie I knew I had to see it. I was blown away at how amazing this movie was. This is number two on my favorite movies of all time (Argo is my favorite movie!) IF you haven't seen thisOne of the greatest movies I've ever seen. The plot behind this movie portrays Whitey Bulger which makes the movie interesting. When I saw that Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg were in this movie I knew I had to see it. I was blown away at how amazing this movie was. This is number two on my favorite movies of all time (Argo is my favorite movie!) IF you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend you to watch this movie. It will be an intense experience. Expand
  20. Nov 13, 2013
    The Departed is astonishing.
    Incredible acting performances from Damon, Di-caprio, and Nicholas matched with top quality direction from Martin Scorsese. An unbelievably great plot with excitement and twists to leave you speechless.
  21. Nov 12, 2013
    Despite the film's last act misstep, the movie's worth watching just for the journey. Scorsese remains a master, and he's working his finest magic here. He refuses to fall into the usual pitfalls of the gangster drama, and continues to find completely new nuances in genres that others have already mined nearly to death. Cops versus killers has been done to the point of improbability, butDespite the film's last act misstep, the movie's worth watching just for the journey. Scorsese remains a master, and he's working his finest magic here. He refuses to fall into the usual pitfalls of the gangster drama, and continues to find completely new nuances in genres that others have already mined nearly to death. Cops versus killers has been done to the point of improbability, but in front of Marty's lens it's a brand new game. It's not quite the masterpiece that some of this other recent films like The Aviator and Bringing Out the Dead have been, but The Departed is a work of strong vision and sharp personality. Expand
  22. Oct 27, 2013
    Okay. Disgraceful that it's a remake of an amazing and original film, and it wins Best Picture. Jack Nicholson is one of my favorite actors, but he does not fit in with the whole premise and cast. Leonardo is okay, Matt Damon Vera Farmiga plays a c***, and Mark Wahlberg is nothing short of annoying. No remake would have sufficed.
  23. Oct 14, 2013
    This is a criminal drama with a very strong storyline (which do not have many twists, every episode logically flows into the next one), good number of bright characters played by outstanding actors. I'd say the movie does not have a lot of action in it, but you feel that psychological tension and wait for something cruel to happen around the next corner.
  24. Sep 15, 2013
    I can't shake the feeling of how much this movie reminds me of "Goodfellas".

The Departed is a slam-bam thriller, exceeding my expectations, which were already very high. The way Scorcese moves between scenes and plays this movie up is genius. The script is excellent, providing rich dialogue to move the gripping story along, and the cinematography is just wonderful. The angles and
    I can't shake the feeling of how much this movie reminds me of "Goodfellas".

The script is excellent, providing rich dialogue to move the gripping story along, and the cinematography is just wonderful. The angles and style of filming that Martin Scorcese is famous for emanates here, shining brighter than films of kin.

The acting is just amazing, with a star-studded cast that delivers the goods, and then some. I enjoyed Matt Damon in the title roll, and Leonardo DiCaprio trails right behind him. Jack Nicholson brings charisma to the roll of Frank Costello, and executes with Oscar-worthy style. I especially liked Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin's loose cannon-like characters. They provided a stunning edge to an already sharp blade of a film.

I can go on and on about everything else that is good in this movie, how it all clicks together, but I suggest you watch it for yourself if you haven't already, and find out what all the hype is about! I would give it more than 100 if I could.
  25. Sep 13, 2013
    Jam-packed with excellent performances from an utterly stacked cast, well written characters, in-depth and genius plot, a blood-boiling climax, and possibly the greatest ending given to any film. The only downsides are that some parts tend to drag on, but the overall experience is phenomenal.
  26. Aug 30, 2013
    It was good. It is a classic Crime Picture, but it is not for 10. In every dialogue we can see that there is a bad word. I like bad words in movies but not so many!!
  27. Aug 20, 2013
    Scorsese scores again with this intense crime thriller. Truly Scorsese's best mobster film since "Goodfellas". It's filled with fantastic acting, great screenplay and an intriguing story. Overall, it's a Scorsese film with a bit more pizazz. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  28. Jul 11, 2013
    Riveting suspense and brilliant storytelling describe this masterpiece. I watched this movie only for Leonardo DiCaprio but felt like Damon, Nicholson and Wahlberg acted on the same level if not better. The music was captivating. The psychiatrist subplot felt a bit contrived but it shed so much light on Costigan's character that I didn't really care. I would accept it as coincidence if theRiveting suspense and brilliant storytelling describe this masterpiece. I watched this movie only for Leonardo DiCaprio but felt like Damon, Nicholson and Wahlberg acted on the same level if not better. The music was captivating. The psychiatrist subplot felt a bit contrived but it shed so much light on Costigan's character that I didn't really care. I would accept it as coincidence if the result is this brilliant. Expand
  29. Jun 22, 2013
    Just a fantastic film. Each and every actor does such a marvelous job and the movie leaves you wanting more, which is the key reason why this is a 10. The end was great, but yet, I still want more. I'm almost sad that the movie is over. Highly recommend. Fantastic film.
  30. Jun 12, 2013
    A mesmerizing film with an excellent ensemble cast. It is certainly Martin Scorsese's best, along with his films "Taxi Driver", "Raging Bull" and "Goodfellas". Don't miss this film.

A new American crime classic from the legendary Martin Scorsese, whose talent shines here on its highest beams.
  2. A ferociously entertaining film.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This reworking of a popular Hong Kong picture pulses with energy, tangy dialogue and crackling performances from a fine cast.